Topic Author

Delta refuses to upgrade US curling team gold winners

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:37 pm

Personally I think the response was professional

https://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/olympic-ch ... ng-1816955

readytotaxi

Re: Delta refuses to upgrade US curling team gold winners

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:45 pm

Team accepted it, sure they will get other little perks.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

kondoo

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:47 pm

Great. Why would they get one for free?

waly777

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:49 pm

The reply was professional and straight to the point in my opinion. Understandably emotions are riding high but those do not make money especially if those seats are sold or there is demand for them
The test of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold 2 opposed ideas in the mind concurrently, and still function

enilria

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:52 pm

If the seats were available they should have done it for PR value if nothing else. If the seats were full then understandable.

bacchus101

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:03 pm

enilria wrote:
If the seats were available they should have done it for PR value if nothing else. If the seats were full then understandable.

Agreed. This was a golden PR opportunity.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:09 pm

As a person who has been an official at an Olympics and World Championships and personally know Gold, Silver, and Bronze medal winners from multiple Olympics and World Championships... I do not see any problem. The team asked, and they got their answer - in a professional manner. I am quite sure that the team members are personally OK with that. I also believe it is unlikely that Delta had enough empty 1st class seats for the team - even if they wanted to do this (and a pre-paying passenger for 1st class gets priority).

All Olympic Athletes, Coaches, and Officials are transported, housed, fed, provided uniforms and casual clothing, etc. free to them; and my personal experience is that if there is a flight problem they are considered the "top priority" passengers for seat and luggage assignments on alternate flights (while everyone else - including 1st class passengers - had to to through normal process of lines and calls to get an alternate flight I was the only passenger who was specifically and immediately paged and given my alternate flight arrangements - and I was told that I had absolute priority given my Olympic status).

Have a great day,

33lspotter

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:16 pm

enilria wrote:

Agree 100%. Also think that the team's response was professional.

dbo861

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:17 pm

Oh my gosh. The article says there’s a movement to boycott DL because of this. Overreact much?

The olympics end tomorrow. Every flight out of ICN will probably be packed for the next few days. There probably isn’t even 5-6 first class seats available on their flight.
Last edited by dbo861 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MAH4546

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:20 pm

Stupid of whoever at Delta replied. Delta doesn't owe them an upgrade, but the guy on the Twitter team that wrote that reply just got them some bad PR. The tweet should have either been replied to by saying "yeah, sure, here are upgrades" or it should've been ignored.
a.

sspontak

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:42 pm

Requesting upgrades by tweet for an entire team should not have been requested in this manner. And unfortunately Delta did not come back with a good response.

This should have been handled in an offline/professional/appropriate manner on both sides.

What if there were not enough seats to upgrade the entire team? It would seem to be unfair if the entire team could not be upgraded. Hopefully something gets worked out.

DocLightning

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:50 pm

sspontak wrote:
This should have been handled in an offline/professional/appropriate manner on both sides.

Yes, although had I been on DL's PR team, my response would have been something like: "Congratulations on the gold! See us at the airport and we'll see what we can do."

It's noncommittal and it looks better. Delta could then have reached out offline and said: "We're sorry, but we don't have enough seats." And certainly, flights out of Seoul right now must be fully booked.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

stlgph

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:59 pm

Ms. Alley, your seat is available.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Revelation

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:14 pm

unnayan wrote:

Then maybe the title should be 'declines' rather than 'refuses', since 'refuses' is a pretty harsh term.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:18 pm

Yes, although had I been on DL's PR team, my response would have been something like: "Congratulations on the gold! See us at the airport and we'll see what we can do."

It's noncommittal and it looks better. Delta could then have reached out offline and said: "We're sorry, but we don't have enough seats." And certainly, flights out of Seoul right now must be fully booked.[/quote]

This is so unprofessional. You should never pass your work off to the gate agent. Rather, you should handle it right there and not expect others to do your job. If you were asked directly, then give them a yes/No at that point. Don't expect others to cover for you because you don't want to be the bad guy. Gate agents have more than enough to do than deal with situations you find 'uncomfortable.'

kiowa

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:20 pm

professional actions by the curlers. you ask and take what you get. IF there were upgrades available for the curlers, it would have been a smart act to upgrade them.

to expect an automatic upgrade would have been wrong.

i was on an aircraft when a marine major showed up for a flight and had a pissy fit because the airline did not upgrade him because he was in uniform. there were not seats open and he was travelling on his own time, not orders. he felt he was entitled because he had gotten upgraded on other flights.

the curling team asked and were turned down. it happens. no harm on either side.

jayunited

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:29 pm

I think DL's response was absolutely correct and professional. There seems to be at least 9 people (players and coaches) on the US men curling team, for this person to assume that DL would have 9 seats available for them the day after the olympics ends is extremely presumptuous. Most flights whether on DL, KE, AA, or UA to the US will be full for the next few days I seriously doubt DL has any open seats in business class to even accommodate the entire men's curling team and their coaches.

Bongodog1964

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:36 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
Stupid of whoever at Delta replied. Delta doesn't owe them an upgrade, but the guy on the Twitter team that wrote that reply just got them some bad PR. The tweet should have either been replied to by saying "yeah, sure, here are upgrades" or it should've been ignored.

If DL had ignored the tweet, they would have been duly slated on social media. The response was polite and factual, if people can't accept such things they need to look very carefully at their attitude to life.
The only response that would have been inappropriate was something along the lines of "sod off we are fed up with people whining on expecting an upgrade"

Dldiamondboy

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:39 pm

No surprise here, DL has virtually eliminated upgrades. Even Elite Diamond Medallion million milers 95% of the time ride in the back. Delta appreciates the loyalty of their Diamond Medallions and likes the fact the DM give DL a lot of money on a regular basis but to ride up front DL wants the cash now. The Cash Medallion level is the highest medallion level.

SCQ83

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:42 pm

I think it is professional.

Winning a Gold medal in some competition does not entitle you for an upgrade.

flydude380

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:52 pm

When are people going to realize Airlines are businesses. Not charities. If they want to upgrade pax whether they’re sports teams or in the military or charge such parties for excess baggage and transportation of cargo - let them!!

JamesCousins

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:59 pm

This is a no-story to me.

Professionalism on both sides here, and as mentioned above the likelihood of 1 or 2 spare biz class seats (let alone 7 or 8!) on flights at the end of an Olympics is very slim. Could have been a bit more humor, but wouldn't even cross my mind when booking Delta tbh
Q400, A320-200, A321-200, 737-500, 737-800, 747-400, 757-200, 787-9 // FCA, TOM, TUI, MON, MT, BA, VS, DL, BE, X9, OLY // Upcoming: W6 A320, W6 A321, EVA 77W, VS 787-9m AS A320, VS A35K, KLM E190, KLM 738, LS 737

FlyRow

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:05 pm

Many promised to never fly with Delta Airlines again and used the hashtag 'Boycott Delta' while tweeting.

Is it me or is this the new bloody way of acting now.

Boycot this, boycot that...

Next day, "ooh cheap [product] by [company] " ... and all is forgotton.

Stop this pathetic hastag-boycott nonsense..
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

777Mech

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:09 pm

Dldiamondboy wrote:
No surprise here, DL has virtually eliminated upgrades. Even Elite Diamond Medallion million milers 95% of the time ride in the back. Delta appreciates the loyalty of their Diamond Medallions and likes the fact the DM give DL a lot of money on a regular basis but to ride up front DL wants the cash now. The Cash Medallion level is the highest medallion level.

Airlines are not charities.

739er

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:10 pm

This will be forgotten by Friday.
Good thing it wasn’t United...We’d be talking about it for weeks.

777PHX

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:18 pm

I don't blame Delta. That wasn't a fair position for them to be put in by the curling team and they're probably booked solid in business anyway. Delta should have handled it through a DM, though.

klm617

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:27 pm

33lspotter wrote:
enilria wrote:

Once again Delta draws the PR it deserves for caring so little about the over all quality of their customer's experience.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

smi0006

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:42 pm

This is the problem with social media - let’s add some weight to an inappropriate or unjustified request but throwing it out into the public sphere and maybe a debate will ensue with enough bad PR to get what we want.

DLs response was classy, and direct. I hope more companies are willing to stand up to people on social media, hopefully we’ll see the fear of a bad wrap on social media diminish

777PHX

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:56 pm

To be fair, I don't think the curling team was the one that blew this up. It was probably just ordinary users of Twitter that reported it. It looks like that Twitter account for USA curling deleted the original request because I can't find the tweet on their account.

NYPECO

Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:03 pm

The outrage over this is ridiculous, assuming it's actually as big as the article makes it seem. Delta's response wasn't "ice cold" in any way. But this will be forgotten in a few days probably.

UALFAson

Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:19 pm

I didn't want to click on the article and give it another hit, so apologies if this was mentioned, but why are they flying DL anyway? In one of NBC's profile segments of the Shib Sibs, it showed them getting off a DL aircraft upon their arrival in Korea too. I thought UA was the official airline of Team USA? Do they not fly all the U.S. athletes?
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

dz09

Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:23 pm

kondoo wrote:
Great. Why would they get one for free?

because they represent their country and make us proud when they win medals. You need to do some research on Olympic athletes to see how they have to fend for themselves to be able to make it to the Olympics and represent the US. The USOC, despite getting millions from sponsors spent a very small fraction of that on athletes. the fat cats running the USOC are millionaires.

HBO had a recent documentary on this:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=hb ... &FORM=VIRE

As to Delta, the response was very cold and I'm not surprised. I think United is a major sponsors of the US Olympic team and their handling of the request would most likely have been different. Delta sucks and more people are becoming aware of that.

IPFreely

Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:39 pm

dz09 wrote:
As to Delta, the response was very cold and I'm not surprised. I think United is a major sponsors of the US Olympic team and their handling of the request would most likely have been different. Delta sucks and more people are becoming aware of that.

DocLightning's response above was correct. Delta's public response should have been non-committal, i.e., we'll see what we can do at departure. Maybe even add the fact that they cannot bump paid customers for gold medal upgrades. Assuming there were no open F seats, or not enough for the whole team, their private response could have simply been "Sorry, there are no open F seats, or not enough open F seats."

But you are correct. Delta generally handles social media PR very poorly.

berari

Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:44 pm

Maybe US Curling or the Olympics committee should have treated its own to an upgrade. I'm tired of this "we all all heros" and "we are entitled" mentality. Pay for that damn seat!

questions

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:01 pm

DocLightning wrote:

It's noncommittal and it looks better. Delta could then have reached out offline and said: "We're sorry, but we don't have enough seats." And certainly, flights out of Seoul right now must be fully booked.

While noncommittal, that response may still create an expectation of “possibly” that will only let the team down.

Delta’s response:

Hi, there. Congratulations, gold medal champions! We are honored to be your ride back home! While we don't have any upgrades to offer, we look forward to seeing you on board. Thanks for flying with us! *AJL

“While we don’t have any upgrades to offer” to some may sound like they do have availability and don’t want to give the team upgrades. Perhaps, “Our flights out of ICN are packed and we probably can’t accommodate your request but talk to us at check in” may have been better.

I’m sure the DL crew will be thrilled to have them onboard and will do everything they can to make their journey as comfortable as possible.

No doubt the team understands Delta’s reply to their “can’t hurt to ask” tweet.

*Edited after reading other a Twitter responses.

777Mech

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:22 pm

klm617 wrote:
33lspotter wrote:
enilria wrote:

Once again Delta draws the PR it deserves for caring so little about the over all quality of their customer's experience.

Fwiw the all of DL's ICN flights have went out full in all cabins the last few days and the forward bookings hardly have any seats.

There's no way they could have upgraded them anyways.

It's a wonder how you are allowed to post here with all that nonsense you continuously spew on this forum.

Adispatcher

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:34 pm

What do you expect them to say?

Unable is unable.

QXAS

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:48 pm

I thought Team USA travelled on United. They are the official airline. Is there a UA charter to/from the Olympics? Just to? Or not at all? All 242 athletes would be able to fly on one 789.
In terms of this situation, the flight was probably packed. Asking for an upgrade and being declined is perfectly acceptable.
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.

OzarkD9S

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:00 pm

This reminds me of a TWA reservations story when the St Louis Rams won the Stupid Bowl back in 1999. QB Kurt Warner called TWA and wanted to book his family from STL to Hawaii First Class on TWA. First Class was full on the day he wanted to travel and he insisted that "they move someone". The TWA reservationist (a good friend of my Mom who was in TWA res then) said she couldn't do that and he got very nasty...as only a phony "Christian" can do and she got so fed up with his assholery that she told him to call UA. A moment's glory shouldn't entitle anyone to crap on the regular folks. Our money is just as good if not harder earned than the so-called "stars".
Next up: STL DEN PSP DEN STL

klm617

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:18 pm

berari wrote:
Maybe US Curling or the Olympics committee should have treated its own to an upgrade. I'm tired of this "we all all heros" and "we are entitled" mentality. Pay for that damn seat!

First of all I don't think the team demanded anything they just posed a question to Delta and Delta's response is what upset people they acted as if they really didn't care. A simple hey check at the gate and see if the gate agent can help you but nothing was offered to them just a simple hey sorry we can't help you.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

einsteinboricua

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:26 pm

Let's say for argument's sake that there were a couple of seats available for an upgrade (but not enough for the whole team): who gets to be upgraded? Will social media be forgiving that only a few of the team members were able to score a seat while the rest rode in the back? Why is the curling team being given the privilege? Didn't the US win gold at other events as well?

See the Pandora's Box that's opened?

BTW: a reply from Delta saying "we'll see what we can do" is almost raising their hopes up. If in the end there are no seats, then there are no seats. Why is it so hard to fathom a company saying "we don't have any upgrades available"?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Wingtips56

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:46 pm

I think DL handled this correctly. It's the Twits that have blown it out of reality.
As a former airport agent myself, we were often downstream of the "talk to the agent and see what s/he can do", when there was nothing we could do. With DL handling it right up front, it ended the discussion with the team cleanly. If the cabin was already sold out, it would be incorrect to create a false expectation and anticipation of getting upgraded at the airport. Why have them hovering around the desk at the gate on pins and needles, constantly checking with the agent to see how it's going.
DL dealt with it cleanly at the first point of contact, as they should. (And no, I was never with DL, but with competitors. But I would have wanted my airline to handle it the same way.)
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

MSPNWA

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:50 pm

I don't get wrapped up into social media battles, but DL's reply could have been said better. Seemed like a semi-joking request from the team, but that was an opportunity for DL to create some positive PR. Instead they fumbled the ball with a cold response.

777Mech wrote:
Fwiw the all of DL's ICN flights have went out full in all cabins the last few days and the forward bookings hardly have any seats.

It's a wonder how you are allowed to post here with all that nonsense you continuously spew on this forum.

They haven't flown yet. They say they're leaving Monday. Recent flights haven't all been full in J with revenue PAX. And Monday's ICN-DTW has seats for the team if DL wishes to create some positive PR.

I would refrain from accusing someone of spewing nonsense when you don't state facts either.
Last edited by MSPNWA on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AEROFAN

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:52 pm

unnayan wrote:

Curlers? Oh gimme a break! they should be glad DL is flying them. Usain Bolt or Phelps I can understand asking for an upgrade, but curlers? What the hell next? Stocking darners?
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison~

IPFreely

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:43 am

MSPNWA wrote:
They haven't flown yet. They say they're leaving Monday. Recent flights haven't all been full in J with revenue PAX. And Monday's ICN-DTW has seats for the team if DL wishes to create some positive PR.

Too late for that now.

AEROFAN wrote:
Usain Bolt or Phelps I can understand asking for an upgrade, but curlers? What the hell next? Stocking darners?

Bolt's and Phelp's endorsement deals have made them rich -- at least to the tune of 50-100 million USD. It would be out of line for them to ask for an upgrade -- they can pay for their own F travel if they fly commercial.

Tugger

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:49 am

Stupid thing to ask for but I guess it's in the "why not" column. Delta responded just fine and there was nothing wrong with what they said. The only thing I will note is that as others have said the Delta PR aspect of it could have been done better without much effort. so they passed the class but missed an opportunity to "look good" to social(ly dubious) media where they could have done better than a "C".

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:54 am

klm617 wrote:
First of all I don't think the team demanded anything they just posed a question to Delta and Delta's response is what upset people they acted as if they really didn't care. A simple hey check at the gate and see if the gate agent can help you but nothing was offered to them just a simple hey sorry we can't help you.

How Delta responded

Hi, there. Congratulations, gold medal champions! We are honored to be your ride back home! While we don't have any upgrades to offer, we look forward to seeing you on board. Thanks for flying with us! *AJL

What's wrong with being straightforward if it is actually the case that there's no way for them to upgrade even if they go see the ground agent at ICN?

Also, let's say Delta chose to bump full fare paying passengers to make room for the curling team, and the people who were bumped raised a stink - I sincerely doubt you'd be defending Delta for making that decision.

Much ado about nothing to be honest. There are far better things to be outraged about.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Dldiamondboy

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:18 am

777Mech wrote:
Dldiamondboy wrote:

Airlines are not charities.

That is very true. Airlines are a business. Ed is an accountant. As poorly as DL has treated their best customers as of late when the next travel industry down occurs I think DL will feel the affects. As Ed says said " People should fly whatever airline works for them" It takes years to gain a customer and seconds to loose one.

usflyer msp

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:19 am

IMHO it was unprofessional of the curling team to put Delta on the spot like that.

777Mech

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:21 am

MSPNWA wrote:
I don't get wrapped up into social media battles, but DL's reply could have been said better. Seemed like a semi-joking request from the team, but that was an opportunity for DL to create some positive PR. Instead they fumbled the ball with a cold response.

777Mech wrote:

I would refrain from accusing someone of spewing nonsense when you don't state facts either.

Monday's flight DTW-ICN is actually oversold in Delta One, so try again.

Even ATL and SEA show 0.

Show me where the whole team can all travel back in D1 Monday. I'll wait.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos