Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TripleA
Topic Author

Mesa Airlines Beech 1900 DFW Ops Question

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:00 pm

Hi everyone, I saw some pictures in the database of Mesa Airlines / Air Midwest Beech 1900s at DFW between 2000-2007 and it got me curious about the operations they had there. How long did this operation last? What cities were served? And was this a code-share for another carrier or a stand-alone operation? I searched on here but didn't find any information about it, so I thought I'd ask as it's just something that struck my interest.

AAvgeek744

Re: Mesa Airlines Beech 1900 DFW Ops Question

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:06 pm

Quite a bit earlier, but a September 1988 timetable shows them flying to Roswell, NM. I think at various times they also flew from DFW to Hobbs, Clovis, and Tucumcari. There was also the short lived CR2 servis between Ft. Worth Meacham and Houston (Hobby I think).

jetero

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:08 pm

It was all to NM under EAS ... sorry I don’t have the details. I think Clovis, Roswell, and Alamogordo. Before they moved HQ from FMN to PHX they were going to move to DFW.

There was another airline flying Metros out of DFW at that time (or maybe they preceded YV). Lone Star Airlines. They flew to OCH, LFK, ELD, PBF, HOT, JBR, and JLN.

jetero

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:10 pm

[twoid]i[/twoid]
AAvgeek744 wrote:
Quite a bit earlier, but a September 1988 timetable shows them flying to Roswell, NM. I think at various times they also flew from DFW to Hobbs, Clovis, and Tucumcari. There was also the short lived CR2 servis between Ft. Worth Meacham and Houston (Hobby I think).

That was HOU but they also did SAT. I’m not sure about AUS. It lasted longer than you think ... 4 years IIRC? I’m probably wrong.

TripleA
Topic Author

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:23 pm

jetero wrote:
It was all to NM under EAS ... sorry I don’t have the details. I think Clovis, Roswell, and Alamogordo. Before they moved HQ from FMN to PHX they were going to move to DFW.

There was another airline flying Metros out of DFW at that time (or maybe they preceded YV). Lone Star Airlines. They flew to OCH, LFK, ELD, PBF, HOT, JBR, and JLN.

I found a video on YouTube from around 2007 I think showing a flight from ELD to DFW on one of these Beech 1900s. From the photos I've seen on here and other sites, it appears they had a pretty good operation to various places for a while. But I never was able to locate any information about it.

AAvgeek744

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:24 pm

jetero wrote:
[twoid]i[/twoid]
AAvgeek744 wrote:

That was HOU but they also did SAT. I’m not sure about AUS. It lasted longer than you think ... 4 years IIRC? I’m probably wrong.

Certainly could have been longer. I recall on a couple of occasions seeing their birds while drive on the 820 past Meacham Field.

jetero

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:30 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
jetero wrote:
[twoid]i[/twoid]
AAvgeek744 wrote:

Certainly could have been longer. I recall on a couple of occasions seeing their birds while drive on the 820 past Meacham Field.

It was long enough for the City of Ft Worth to build a terminal expansion with at least 1 jetbridge, but that in and of itself means only 2 years was completely possible.

mtnwest1979

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:30 am

AAvgeek744 wrote:

YV never served Tucumcari.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

YVAMWB1900

Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:22 am

YVAMWB1900

Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:25 am

TripleA
Topic Author

Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:28 am

YVAMWB1900 wrote:
YVAMWB1900 wrote:

Hey thanks! So did Mesa code-share with anyone on these routes? If I recall correctly the ABQ flights were branded as just Mesa. Is that the same for the DFW ones?

JBo

Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:51 am

TripleA wrote:
Hey thanks! So did Mesa code-share with anyone on these routes? If I recall correctly the ABQ flights were branded as just Mesa. Is that the same for the DFW ones?

I'm not sure about the Mesa routes, but the Air Midwest routes were operated under US Airways Express colors, and some of the routes out of MCI also carried a codeshare with Midwest (YX) (mainly the Kansas EAS cities).
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

Ionosphere

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:22 am

I flew Air Midwest from Kansas City to Columbia, MO, between 2006 and 2008. I usually bought my ticket from US Airways. In about 2007 the codeshare deal was announced with Midwest. I often flew BOS-MCI-COU. The Air Midwest flights left from a lower level gate area in Terminal A in MCI. The cabins were nasty and dirty. The inflight magazines were usually from several months prior. The safety cards were ripped and battered. Some of the planes still had the USAir Express paint scheme 11 years after it became US Airways Express.

Ionosphere

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:24 am

I flew Air Midwest from Kansas City to Columbia, MO, between 2006 and 2008. I usually bought my ticket from US Airways. In about 2007 the codeshare deal was announced with Midwest. I often flew BOS-MCI-COU. The Air Midwest flights left from a lower level gate area in Terminal A in MCI. The cabins were nasty and dirty. The inflight magazines were usually from several months prior. The safety cards were ripped and battered. Some of the planes still had the USAir Express paint scheme 11 years after it became US Airways Express. The last Air Midwest flight was actually MCI-COU in the summer of 2008. COU got Mesaba on the Saab to MEM after which was a huge improvement.

usxguy

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:31 am

DFW ops were independent ZV/YV flights but had interline with AA, TZ, US, HP, and YX during its lifespan.
xx

TripleA
Topic Author

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:34 am

JBo wrote:
TripleA wrote:

I'm not sure about the Mesa routes, but the Air Midwest routes were operated under US Airways Express colors, and some of the routes out of MCI also carried a codeshare with Midwest (YX) (mainly the Kansas EAS cities).

Ionosphere wrote:
I flew Air Midwest from Kansas City to Columbia, MO, between 2006 and 2008. I usually bought my ticket from US Airways. In about 2007 the codeshare deal was announced with Midwest. I often flew BOS-MCI-COU. The Air Midwest flights left from a lower level gate area in Terminal A in MCI. The cabins were nasty and dirty. The inflight magazines were usually from several months prior. The safety cards were ripped and battered. Some of the planes still had the USAir Express paint scheme 11 years after it became US Airways Express. The last Air Midwest flight was actually MCI-COU in the summer of 2008. COU got Mesaba on the Saab to MEM after which was a huge improvement.

Interesting. I didn't know those flights were operated for US Airways Express. I always just assumed that Mesa was too cheap to repaint the planes lol.

TripleA
Topic Author

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:40 am

usxguy wrote:
DFW ops were independent ZV/YV flights but had interline with AA, TZ, US, HP, and YX during its lifespan.

Ah I see. Thanks for the info.

jetero

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:40 am

YVAMWB1900 wrote:

Wow, I got that one all wrong!

Those are all the old Lone Star Airlines routes.

Did they just win the EAS contract?

TripleA
Topic Author

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:45 am

So what exactly was the difference between Air Midwest flights and Mesa flights?

william

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:52 am

Remember when Mesa was a commuter airline HQ in New Mexico. It was independent for a long time before code showing with America West at PHX.

Rio Airways had 1900 ops out of DFW in the 80s and 90s.

usxguy

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:59 am

TripleA wrote:
So what exactly was the difference between Air Midwest flights and Mesa flights?

The Sabre partition was YV, but flights operated by ZV- Air Midwest/Mesa Airlines branded flights were all ABQ, DFW, and MDW based flights. Everything else was put in as USX- US Sabre as US Airways Express. go! flights also used the same Sabre partition.
xx

AAvgeek744

Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:34 am

Ionosphere wrote:

I recall when Air Midwest was operating under their own colors, they flew from both Kansas City airports. I have a timetable, but not sure what points were served from the Downtown Airport.

AAvgeek744

Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:36 am

william wrote:
Remember when Mesa was a commuter airline HQ in New Mexico. It was independent for a long time before code showing with America West at PHX.

I never knew Rio flew the Beech. I do recall they flew the DH7 and SWM when they were a Delta partner.

Ionosphere

Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:42 am

TripleA wrote:

It was similar to the way Republic used to have Republic, Chautauqua, and Shuttle America. They used different names for different operations, but they were all basically Mesa. Freedom Air flew the Delta Connection flying for Mesa. Air Midwest flew the B1900s in the Midwest.

MO11

Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:01 am

Sort of. Air Midwest was acquired by Mesa Air Group in 1991. It was operating as a US Airways Express carrier at Kansas City. By 2001 it had taken over all of the Beech 1900 flying that had been operated by Mesa.

william

Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:02 am

AAvgeek744 wrote:
william wrote:

I never knew Rio flew the Beech. I do recall they flew the DH7 and SWM when they were a Delta partner.

Twin Otters too.

Back to the thread, remember when Mesa flew the 1900C too.

TripleA
Topic Author

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:20 am

william wrote:

I've always thought the Beech 1900C was a strange plane. Never flown on any Beech 1900, but from the pictures I've seen, it looks like one would practically have to crawl down the aisle in the 1900C to get to their seat since the ceiling was so low.

TripleA
Topic Author

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:25 am

MO11 wrote:
Sort of. Air Midwest was acquired by Mesa Air Group in 1991. It was operating as a US Airways Express carrier at Kansas City. By 2001 it had taken over all of the Beech 1900 flying that had been operated by Mesa.

Ok, that makes since. I knew Air Midwest was a subsidiary of Mesa, but I didn't know that all 1900 flights were considered operated by Air Midwest. Mesa seemed to have a history of having a bunch of subsidiaries at different times. I remember at one point the AWE CRJ-900s were operated by Freedom, before going back to just Mesa.

william

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:32 pm

TripleA wrote:
william wrote:

I've always thought the Beech 1900C was a strange plane. Never flown on any Beech 1900, but from the pictures I've seen, it looks like one would practically have to crawl down the aisle in the 1900C to get to their seat since the ceiling was so low.

In the C one had to bend over to walk down the aisle, but hey its a 19 pax aircraft, one is only standing boarding and arrival.

Taking off f from a 5,000 ft runway,Pilot sets the brakes, runs up the props, release brakes and........OH!!!..........MY!!!........G'..rotate! I read somewhere that the 1900C was overpowered, I don't know about that, but man takeoffs from short runways were awesome.

I see why King Airs still sell well and why their pilots swear by them.

DiamondFlyer

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:55 pm

william wrote:
TripleA wrote:
william wrote:

In the C one had to bend over to walk down the aisle, but hey its a 19 pax aircraft, one is only standing boarding and arrival.

Taking off f from a 5,000 ft runway,Pilot sets the brakes, runs up the props, release brakes and........OH!!!..........MY!!!........G'..rotate! I read somewhere that the 1900C was overpowered, I don't know about that, but man takeoffs from short runways were awesome.

I see why King Airs still sell well and why their pilots swear by them.

The 1900C was not overpowered, by any means. As a pax carrier on short routes, it was probably reasonably below max takeoff weight, but in the guise I flew them, box hauler, it became a bit of a runway hog at max takeoff weight.
From my cold, dead hands

MO11

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:35 pm

TripleA wrote:
Ok, that makes since. I knew Air Midwest was a subsidiary of Mesa, but I didn't know that all 1900 flights were considered operated by Air Midwest. Mesa seemed to have a history of having a bunch of subsidiaries at different times. I remember at one point the AWE CRJ-900s were operated by Freedom, before going back to just Mesa.

That was a scope clause issue. Mesa couldn't operate CRJ-700s (later -900s) for America West and operate CRJ 200s (or ERJ-145s) other airlines without violating the other airlines' scope clauses. That is why Freedom was created. The scope clause issue fixed itself in 2004. To keep the certificate active, Freedom briefly operated a single Beech 1900 in the America West system.

Mesa did have a bunch of "divisions": FloridaGulf, Desert Sun, Mountain West, CalPac, (even go!) were all on Mesa's certificates. Air Midwest, CCAir, Freedom and WestAir were separate.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos