Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RainerBoeing777
Topic Author

Possible new European routes for the Thai Airways route network

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:46 am

In recent months many airlines have increased their frequencies to Bangkok from Europe and the Middle East, Thai Airways, Thailand's flagship airline has remained conservative in expansion, have added the route Bangkok (BKK) - Vienna (VIE) until the moment It went very well and they rejoined the route Bangkok (BKK) - Moscow (DME). The Boeing 777-200ER will soon receive new booths in business class (1-2-1) and the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliners will be reconfigured for intercontinental flights, both aircraft will receive WIFI service. Already the first Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner will fly to Europe in the summer season to Vienna with 5 frequencies, the other Dreamliners will possibly be used to increase the routes Brussels and Moscow to daily flights.

With the arrival of the new Airbus A350 there are more possibilities for new routes, along with the renovation of Boeing 777-200ER and Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner cabins. Thai Airways is a leading airline in Europe I look forward to a future where you can add more Airbus A350 and Boeing 787 for greater efficiency on your routes

Possible new routes

Helsinki - Bangkok: Thai Airways is a very strong and consolidated airline in Scandinavia with daily flights to Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen. But they have no service to Helsinki, and in recent years Finnair has considerably increased its operations to Thailand including destinations such as Phuket and Krabi, I think it is a very large market for a single airline, it is necessary that Thai enter that market with the effecience of your new aircraft can start this route with 3 or 4 weekly flights and quickly the route would be daily

Manchester - Bangkok: The market to England to Thailand is very big, Thai flies to London Heathorw with two daily flights with Airbus A380-800 and Boeing 777-300ER aircraft, the market has grown considerably in recent years, Manchester has much demand in Bangkok , this route is ideal for the new Airbus A350-900XWB with 3 or 4 frequencies would be good to start this route

Barcelona - Bangkok: the Asian BOOM has started in Barcelona and many airlines such as Korean Air, Asiana Airlines, Cathay Pacific have added this route to their network destinations, and it is a good time for Thai to return to the Spanish market, this route is ideal for the Airbus A350-900XWB and other airlines such as Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific operate this route with this model, this route can start comfortably with 3 weekly frequencies

Amsterdam - Bangkok: The Dutch market in Southeast Asia is VERY BIG! and due to the departure of China Airlines on this route has decreased, I think it is good of the arrival of other airlines and return to this market for Thai, due to the high demand this route can start as Vienna (VIE) 4 flights began weekly flights using a Boeing 777-300ER and possibly can be increased to daily flights with Boeing 787-8, Boeing 777-200ER or Airbus A350-900XWB aircraft
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG - UA

DobboDobbo

Re: Possible new European routes for the Thai Airways route network

Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:52 am

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
Manchester - Bangkok: The market to England to Thailand is very big, Thai flies to London Heathrow with two daily flights with Airbus A380-800 and Boeing 777-300ER aircraft, the market has grown considerably in recent years, Manchester has much demand in Bangkok , this route is ideal for the new Airbus A350-900XWB with 3 or 4 frequencies would be good to start this route

Agreed, so does Anna.aero.

We'll see if the recent trend continues into 2017, in 2016 it was the third largest unserved route, per OAG.

https://3rxg9qea18zhtl6s2u8jammft-wpeng ... Report.pdf

http://www.anna.aero/2017/01/24/europe-thailand-trends/

Manchester – Bangkok #1 unserved route

"An estimated 135,000 passengers travelled between Manchester and Suvarnabhumi airports in 2016, making it the #1 unserved route between Europe and Thailand."

"This means that the unserved airport pairing welcomed 184 PPDEWs (Passengers Per Day Each Way) last year".

"When referring to OAG Traffic Analyser data, just under 54% of traffic on the city pair originated from Manchester. The most popular connection points for passengers in 2016 included Dubai (29% of traffic), Doha (27%) and Abu Dhabi (22%)."

"The leading connection point in Europe from Manchester was Amsterdam, with 4.9% of passengers choosing to connect via the Netherlands hub."

"Looking back at traffic data for 2012, just over 100,000 people travelled between Manchester and Bangkok, meaning demand on the city pair has grown by nearly 31% during the past four years."

Fiend

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:13 am

I fly twice a year MAN-BKK. Would be great for me if TG decided the demand was good enough to open up as a new route.
BAC 1-11, A300, A320, A321, A330, A340, A350, A380, B737, B747, B757, B777, B787, L1011, Fokker 100, ATR 72, MD83

QuawerAir

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:23 am

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
Helsinki - Bangkok: Thai Airways is a very strong and consolidated airline in Scandinavia with daily flights to Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen. But they have no service to Helsinki, and in recent years Finnair has considerably increased its operations to Thailand including destinations such as Phuket and Krabi, I think it is a very large market for a single airline, it is necessary that Thai enter that market with the effecience of your new aircraft can start this route with 3 or 4 weekly flights and quickly the route would be daily.

As far as I know, Thai Airways was planning BKK-HEL service back in 2005 or 2006. Also, TG planned to link HEL to one of its routes (I think they planned BKK-HEL-OSL). There's a lot of demand for flights from Finland to Thailand at the moment (and Thailand may be the largest O/D long-haul market for AY) and Finnair is doing really well on HEL-BKK route: load factor of over 90%, PAX in 2016: 260,000 (+8.4%) and this year will pretty surely increase to over 300,000. Thai should try out 3-4 weekly flights with Boeing 787 and should start codeshare agreement with AY if possible.
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788

hooverman

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:46 am

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
Thai Airways is a leading airline in Europe

What? Since when?

Anyway I don't see AMS- BKK happening.
There is too much competition with KLM and EVA nonstop and the ME3 with good prices.
China Airlines dropping the BKK stop did leave a "gap" but above airlines got BKK covered IMO.

HELyes

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:08 am

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
Helsinki - Bangkok: Thai Airways is a very strong and consolidated airline in Scandinavia with daily flights to Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen. But they have no service to Helsinki, and in recent years Finnair has considerably increased its operations to Thailand including destinations such as Phuket and Krabi, I think it is a very large market for a single airline, it is necessary that Thai enter that market with the effecience of your new aircraft can start this route with 3 or 4 weekly flights and quickly the route would be daily

This winter Finnair fly to Thailand 21x weekly (16x BKK, 3x HKT, 2x KBV), using mainly A350. You would think TG could successfully serve HEL 3x weekly in winter, some direct competition badly needed.

Nami

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:02 am

QuawerAir wrote:
As far as I know, Thai Airways was planning BKK-HEL service back in 2005 or 2006. Also, TG planned to link HEL to one of its routes (I think they planned BKK-HEL-OSL). There's a lot of demand for flights from Finland to Thailand at the moment (and Thailand may be the largest O/D long-haul market for AY) and Finnair is doing really well on HEL-BKK route: load factor of over 90%, PAX in 2016: 260,000 (+8.4%) and this year will pretty surely increase to over 300,000. Thai should try out 3-4 weekly flights with Boeing 787 and should start codeshare agreement with AY if possible.

Yes, but a big chunk of that growth is from connecting traffic. Tourist arrivals from Finland to Thailand have only seen modest growth over recent years (being 140,000 (+4.6%) in 2017) and it would be safe to assume majority have HKT or KBV as their final destinations.

With QR pushing down fares and AY with 22x weekly flights to Thailand next winter it’s not exactly without competition.

TG did briefly serve HEL in the early 90’s but the economic crisis in Finland brought the route to a premature end.

From what I’ve read TG is not expecting to launch any new European destinations this year but rather considering additional frequencies on routes such as BRU and DME.

TC957

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:32 am

MAN - BKK has been muted for years now and really should happen IMO. The 350 or 787-9 would surely make it work, especially if timed to connect with TG's Australia services. Not everyone wants to go via the ME3 all the time.

LupineChemist

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:56 am

TG served MAD for a long time. I would think it might be viable for them to return with the 788 and with the Spanish economy recovering.

Danfearn77

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:03 pm

TC957 wrote:
MAN - BKK has been muted for years now and really should happen IMO. The 350 or 787-9 would surely make it work, especially if timed to connect with TG's Australia services. Not everyone wants to go via the ME3 all the time.

Agreed, its long been rumoured. Just wonder whether TG are the airline to give it a shot, or come someone like MT look East. With their holiday division and (im guessing) lower cost base they could make it work say, 3 weekly? Maybe HKT would be more on their radar i dont know.
Eagles may soar high, but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines!

DLHAM

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:31 pm

Maybe they could offer a triangular flight BKK - TXL - HAM - BKK. This would be a guaranteed sucess, both Hamburg and Berlin have close to 100,000 annual passengers to and from Bangkok. But I can imagine Lufthansa to prevent this, passengers have to fly via FRA and MUC! What they do not realise (do they?) is that they loose thousands of passengers to THY and more badly EK (HAM) / QR (BER).
My Instagram Account: Instagram

jmmadrid

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:47 pm

LupineChemist wrote:
TG served MAD for a long time. I would think it might be viable for them to return with the 788 and with the Spanish economy recovering.

TG's problems in Madrid were not related one to one to the country's economy:

1) MAD-BKK is an extremely low yielding route. Mostly backpackers and young people/couples looking for the cheapest fare
2) Fierce competition (Emirates, Qatar, Etihad, Turkish, Air France, Lufthansa and even Aeroflot, all of them cheaper than TG). Since TG's departure, Cathay and Air India have also joined in.
3) Wrong plane (747-400!)
4) Less than daily flight (I believe it was 3x)
5) Main connections at BKK (SYD, MNL, NRT) were ALSO served cheaply by their competitors.
6) A large number of tkts were sold through travel agencies as part of very cheap tourist packages)
7) Zero to none business market between the two cities.
8) Zero to none BKK originating passengers
9) I believe TG also had their own operational/financial problems and had to cut some routes.

As you mention, the 788 would be the right plane for this route BUT all the other obstacles remain.
They will have to compete with a myriad of 500-euros-return tickets with one stop.
Don’t confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

PayaLebar

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:24 pm

jmmadrid wrote:

1) MAD-BKK is an extremely low yielding route. Mostly backpackers and young people/couples looking for the cheapest fare
2) Fierce competition (Emirates, Qatar, Etihad, Turkish, Air France, Lufthansa and even Aeroflot, all of them cheaper than TG). Since TG's departure, Cathay and Air India have also joined in.
5) Main connections at BKK (SYD, MNL, NRT) were ALSO served cheaply by their competitors.
6) A large number of tkts were sold through travel agencies as part of very cheap tourist packages)
9) I believe TG also had their own operational/financial problems and had to cut some routes.

As you mention, the 788 would be the right plane for this route BUT all the other obstacles remain.
They will have to compete with a myriad of 500-euros-return tickets with one stop.

Can you advise us the conditions that led to MH and SQ pulling out of MAD?

Kadish

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:54 pm

[*]
LupineChemist wrote:

I never knew why the axed Madrid. I flew them 3 times different months and always full.
I think the may be lucky this time if they try

Kadish

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:58 pm

jmmadrid wrote:
LupineChemist wrote:

As far as I long they flew 4/5 weekly and the 3 different times I was in the plane was a 772

Kikko19

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:10 pm

I would suggest TG to TLL 2 weekly with Nordica codeshare (LO) or to WAW, and RIX :)

RainerBoeing777
Topic Author

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:49 pm

HELyes wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:

This winter Finnair fly to Thailand 21x weekly (16x BKK, 3x HKT, 2x KBV), using mainly A350. You would think TG could successfully serve HEL 3x weekly in winter, some direct competition badly needed.

Since Finnair increased Phuket to four flights per week and increased the operations of the A350 in Bangkok, Thai I need to expand in cities of high demand
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG - UA

Nami

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:15 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
Since Finnair increased Phuket to four flights per week and increased the operations of the A350 in Bangkok, Thai I need to expand in cities of high demand

I don’t know what kind of a bank system TG has for European flights, but HEL has one advantage compared to almost all other European destinations - it barely fits within 24-hour rotation.

Is TG going reconfigure all Dreamliners for intercontinental traffic or just a few of them?

TheEuphorian

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:11 am

It says in here that TG's B77E are getting refurbished, can anyone confirm this/or anyone has information on the refurbishment?

Mortyman

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:24 am

How about Lisbon or Warsaw ?

QuawerAir wrote:
Also, TG planned to link HEL to one of its routes (I think they planned BKK-HEL-OSL).

Don't think that Norwegians would be happy with an extra stop ...

Luisvalero

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:44 am

Kadish wrote:
jmmadrid wrote:
LupineChemist wrote:

As far as I long they flew 4/5 weekly and the 3 different times I was in the plane was a 772

Mmm this is the same case as FCO.... But FCO remains in their network

Loew

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:14 am

In my opinion, TG should enter an underserved market, not served directly by anyone else. That being said, PRG should be a candidate.

QuawerAir

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:29 am

Mortyman wrote:
How about Lisbon or Warsaw ?

QuawerAir wrote:
Also, TG planned to link HEL to one of its routes (I think they planned BKK-HEL-OSL).

Don't think that Norwegians would be happy with an extra stop ...

Yeah, probably they wouldn't. I assume that if TG will ever launch flights to HEL, they would not link HEL to one of their current routes but fly only to HEL and back. I think it's possible that Thai Airways would add Helsinki to its network, even though the airline is in Star Alliance.
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788

cityairline

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:37 pm

We’re still hoping for a GOT-BKK. Gothenburg is the 7th largest unserved European market from BKK.
And all this talk about TG going for HEL. i actually have a hard time seeing that happen, when AY already serve the route so well. And I want to remind you that the majority of passengers flying AY on HEL-BKK are connecting Scandinavians, with GOT beeing the first or second biggest contributor... It’s not unusual for AY to carry 70-80 GOT originating passengers on their BKK-flights.

That beeing said, I don’t think we will ever see TG here as I’m sure QR (or less likely but still possible, EK) will beat them to it and eliminate the few chances we have left...
I don't fly to live, I live to fly...

Nami

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:23 pm

cityairline wrote:
We’re still hoping for a GOT-BKK. Gothenburg is the 7th largest unserved European market from BKK.
And all this talk about TG going for HEL. i actually have a hard time seeing that happen, when AY already serve the route so well. And I want to remind you that the majority of passengers flying AY on HEL-BKK are connecting Scandinavians, with GOT beeing the first or second biggest contributor... It’s not unusual for AY to carry 70-80 GOT originating passengers on their BKK-flights.

That beeing said, I don’t think we will ever see TG here as I’m sure QR (or less likely but still possible, EK) will beat them to it and eliminate the few chances we have left...

Do you have any sources regarding the origin of AY pax as you seem to be able to provide such exact numbers?

But I do agree with you - TG planes won't touchdown at HEL anytime soon, if ever. That ship has sailed. If AY had less frequencies then it might be a possibility.

Loew wrote:
In my opinion, TG should enter an underserved market, not served directly by anyone else. That being said, PRG should be a candidate.

There's certainly a good amount of demand from the region. The statistics from the Thai ministry responsible for tourism seem to lump Czechia under "Eastern Europe", from where there were some 480 000 arrivals in 2017 and the figure is growing rapidly. However I'm not too sure if PRG would be their first pick.

continental004

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:03 pm

jmmadrid wrote:
LupineChemist wrote:

Then what’s the case for BCN over MAD with these factors?

jmmadrid

Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:51 pm

continental004 wrote:

Then what’s the case for BCN over MAD with these factors?

IMHO there's no case for BCN either. Even more low yielding and even less business traffic.

But hey, it's a free world and airlines are free to try out things.

I believe only Norwegian/Level could be succesful in this route.
Don’t confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

Nami

Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:31 pm

Nami wrote:
Loew wrote:

There's certainly a good amount of demand from the region. The statistics from the Thai ministry responsible for tourism seem to lump Czechia under "Eastern Europe", from where there were some 480,000 arrivals in 2017 and the figure is growing rapidly. However I'm not too sure if PRG would be their first pick.

This site really should enable editing messages even after the currently enforced silly time limit has passed - I just realized I didn't scroll the document all the way to the end, Czechia is actually listed separately with 49,000 arrivals (for example Poland 105,000).

It's still a bit unclear to me what countries are included under the header "East Europe" and "Other in East Europe".

Loew

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:26 pm

Nami wrote:
Nami wrote:
Loew wrote:

There's certainly a good amount of demand from the region. The statistics from the Thai ministry responsible for tourism seem to lump Czechia under "Eastern Europe", from where there were some 480,000 arrivals in 2017 and the figure is growing rapidly. However I'm not too sure if PRG would be their first pick.

This site really should enable editing messages even after the currently enforced silly time limit has passed - I just realized I didn't scroll the document all the way to the end, Czechia is actually listed separately with 49,000 arrivals (for example Poland 105,000).

It's still a bit unclear to me what countries are included under the header "East Europe" and "Other in East Europe".

As for the PRG-BKK market, this route has been operated by Czech airlines in the past (90s), in those old days when they used to operate A310s. This flight has been operated via DXB. Currently PRG-BKK is listed as one of top 12 unserved routes from BKK per http://www.anna.aero/2017/01/24/europe-thailand-trends/

As for calling Czechia being a part of Eastern Europe, Czech people there don´t like that at all :)

airlinermiami

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:05 pm

Hello
I still believe that Thai could make it work in MAD....it makes sense....as it has been mentioned here with Rome....Thai is still serving FCO...with all the ME3 and all the holiday traffic ... If FCO works ...why not MAD....
Eventually, I see Thai returning to MAD and I think MAD is one of the destionations they must considering for the near future.

Eindhoven

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:42 pm

Kadish wrote:

Don't forget to add DY into the mix. I flew EIN-CPH-BKK a few years ago (EIN-CPH on HV, CPH-BKK on DY). I don't believe TG can compete with that.

Eindhoven

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:48 pm

Loew wrote:
As for calling Czechia being a part of Eastern Europe, Czech people there don´t like that at all :)

But Czech is a slavic language. It is the same kind of language spoken all over eastern Europe. If you put someone who speaks Czech and someone who speaks Russian next to each other I could not tell the difference.

LAXintl

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:52 pm

Personally, I think any growth is misguided and TG needs to focus on profitability. They just announced another year of (increaded) losses in 2017.

Things like fleet rationalization, better alignment of BKK hub structures, clarity of how Thai Smile and Nok fit into the larger picture should be the priority, not spreading wings further in longhaul flying.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

lawair

Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:03 am

LAXintl wrote:
Personally, I think any growth is misguided and TG needs to focus on profitability. They just announced another year of (increaded) losses in 2017.

Things like fleet rationalization, better alignment of BKK hub structures, clarity of how Thai Smile and Nok fit into the larger picture should be the priority, not spreading wings further in longhaul flying.

Actually their losses again are not operational. They had an operational profit in 2017. The effect of exchange rate and aircraft impairment losses wiped out the profit and sent the net profit far lower, but this is a paper loss only. There is weakness in yield, but expanding routes, even if only marginally profitable, can only help. Vienna was a new route that performed fairly well relatively quickly... If they can find others that can do well quickly (not an easy task), then that will help.

Impairment loss on aircraft will continue to be a drain on TG for as long as they are unable to sell their A340s and other aircraft. But operations are profitable.

I don't disagree with you on what TG should be doing though. Even with an operational profit, that profit was squeezed this year from increased costs (fuel mainly). They should improve efficiencies and work to cut costs. They are growing revenue steadily.