OA260

Re: Dublin closed due to snow

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:25 pm

Guests who were booked to travel on the cancelled flights are being notified by SMS message and may rebook to the next available flight, free of charge or request a refund using our online facilities.

All guests who have bookings to travel on Aer Lingus flights from Wednesday 28th February to Friday 2nd March and who wish to postpone their travel to a later date, within 7 days of their original travel date, may also rebook free-of-charge using our online facilities.

www.aerlingus.com/html/trip-mgmt.html#?select=1

www.aerlingus.com/support/flight-disrup ... formation/

Phen

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:36 pm

OA260 wrote:
Yes thats what Im hearing DUB-HAM just aborted take off and returning to gate as with some others too. I guess EI dont want aircraft away from base not knowing when they will be able to return. It could be 2 days !

The DUB-HAM flight had lined up on the runway alright but did not abort the takeoff as such (which is of course a serious event), it merely just didn't take off. And yes you're spot on about the decision - I think it was thought better to deal with a mess in Dublin rather than a mess in Dublin AND a bigger mess in Europe than they have now.

BestWestern

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:42 pm

They aren’t sms’ing people.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

LTenEleven

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:00 pm

For a disruption period of 3+ days, a 7 day rebooking period is not hugely generous.

OA260

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:15 pm

LTenEleven wrote:
For a disruption period of 3+ days, a 7 day rebooking period is not hugely generous.

Indeed British Airways are allowing free rebooks until 21st March !

dergay

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:11 pm

BestWestern wrote:
I’m on Tonight’s DUS DUB, which is cancelled. Nothing from EI at all. The agent in DUS told me that EI is a mess today, and don’t expect anything from them as they can’t cope with the cancellations.

The EI letter they handed me in DUS is in breach of the EU legislation as didn’t tell me my rights, just said talk to insurance company. No hotel or other mandatory requirements offered and when I requested I was told to book myself.

Ireland’s only four star airline!
Flown on A300,A310,A318,A319,A320,A321,A330,B707,B720,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,L382,L1011,C5,DC-3,DC8,

OA260

Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:24 am

1st March- Storm Emma Update- Aer Lingus will retime the afternoon US flights and all operations will cease at 1500hrs today. Please refer to the website for list of European flight cancellations. All guests can make a change within 7 days or request full refund. Please see www.aerlingus.com for latest news

The following flights have been retimed for Thursday 01 March:

EI 145 - Dublin 13:15 - Los Angeles 16:15
(Retimed 2 hours earlier than originally scheduled)

EI 109 - Dublin 14:10 - New York (JFK) 17:05

EI 139 - Dublin 14:20 - Boston 16:40

KLM747er

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:12 am

The diverterd Air Canade flight made just a safe landing as ACA 2112

dangerhere

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:38 am

A guy I work with was due to fly home to AMS this afternoon at 16:15 , now next flight ex Cork that's available to book with EI is Sunday morning!

Aesma

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:41 am

I wonder what the economic impact will be. Here in France I've never seen so much snow, several times week after week, at work many people just don't bother coming as they don't want to be stranded, parkings are half empty...

Well car repair companies will make a killing !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

OA260

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:41 pm

STORM EMMA UPDATE -1ST MARCH 12pm

Operational Update

Thursday 01Mar

Short-haul

DUB- all operations to be completed by 1500z today across all bases.
ORK – schedule for the rest of today is cancelled
SNN – short haul scheduled for the rest of today is cancelled – EI135/EI136 SNN-BOS-SNN T/A will operate
BHD – schedule for the rest of today is cancelled – positioning flight EI991 LHR-BHD will operate
Long-haul Priority on operation of all Westbound operations
All Eastbound operations ex US are cancelled

Friday 02Mar Short-haul

All short-haul scheduled operations are cancelled across all bases
Long-haul All Westbound operations are cancelled
All Eastbound operations ex US will operate

Saturday 03Mar

Full start up to resume normal operations for both short-haul and long-haul

www.aerlingus.com

gosimeon

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:32 pm

Picture of the airport from a pax who managed to escape today: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXNGFfIXcAYhqNL.jpg:large

kaitak

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:46 pm

Amazing shot; almost looks like a pencil drawing!

TC957

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:58 pm

Perhaps all those who campaigned about " global warming " and climate change can rejoice in having a winter like in past generations.

BestWestern

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:05 pm

Climate change - never before such snowfall in Ireland in March.

My Düsseldorf flight this morning was also cancelled. Unlike yesterday, I got an SMS from the airline today.

I’ve given up on trying to get to ireland this weekend.

Interesting to see the volume of connections to the US from Düsseldorf on the EI - lots of LAX and MCO.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

JAmie2k9

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:24 pm

BestWestern wrote:
I rang the German Aer Lingus number, and was told, yes “I can change your ticket but I have to charge you to change”. Another breach of EU legislation.

Ah yes, the caring airline.

(BTW, EI seems to have cancelled all their European flights tomorrow. Next flight from
Düsseldorf is on Friday evening)

Two pieces of communication from EI.

A text message with just my reference code
An email with no content

Quality communication?

When you go on the website you can view EU legislation and free changes.

Eirules

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:21 pm

https://twitter.com/dublinairport/statu ... 13760?s=21

For people who find the weather in Dublin “funny”
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

holcakker

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:40 pm

How much is that? 3-4 cm of snow with some wind and the "storm" already has a name. :banghead:

OA260

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:00 pm

Getting pretty wild here now . Lots of snow due over the next few hours.

Up to one metre of snow forecast to fall in some eastern areas of Ireland

MET ÉIREANN’S EVELYN Cusack has said that up to a metre of snow could fall in eastern areas of the country as part of the current severe weather event.

The weather service’s latest update comes as the country braces for the worst effects of Storm Emma, which will bring blizzard conditions in the coming hours.

People are being urged to stay indoors until the snowstorm conditions pass tomorrow.

Met Éireann has updated its weather warning for two provinces this evening. The status red alert for Leinster and Munster is now in place until 6pm tomorrow.

http://www.thejournal.ie/forecast-snow-3880412-Mar2018/

shamrock350

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:16 pm

holcakker wrote:
How much is that? 3-4 cm of snow with some wind and the "storm" already has a name. :banghead:

Might want to do some research...

Storm Emma is a different weather system that has moved up from south bringing strong winds and heavy precipitation, it was named by the Portuguese weather service once it met their criteria a few days ago. Storm Emma has tonight collided with the "Beast from the East" cold weather system currently stuck over Britain and Ireland combining 100kph winds and heavy snowfall on top of what has already fallen these past few days. Some parts of the east coast of Ireland, including Dublin, could see up 50cm of snow. One model forecasted up to 80cm for Co. Wicklow, just south of Dublin.

So no, it's not just 3-4 cm of snow with some wind thank you very much.

I live in London, well away from the worst hit areas but I can say that it has snowed non-stop for the past 24 hours down here and I've never experienced anything like it. I can't imagine what it must be like in other parts of the UK and in particular Ireland which is about to be worst hit.

jetblueguy22

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:35 pm

Eirules wrote:
https://twitter.com/dublinairport/status/969319502394613760?s=21

For people who find the weather in Dublin “funny”

That's basically December and January where I live. Just subtract about 40F.

But with that being said, there is no way to prepare for that kind of storm when it isn't the norm. It took me a few years of those kind of conditions before I felt somewhat comfortable in them. DUB doesn't have a shot of keeping up with that.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

StuckinCMHland

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:58 pm

This is just fairly normal weather for people in parts of the US and Canada, but a meter of snow is a lot for people who are not used to it. I amd sorry you have to deal with it and I hope that all of you going through this are safe and there are few deaths or injuries from it. Hope some people can make a snowman or two!

eicvd

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:01 am

[threeid][/threeid]
holcakker wrote:

Ah another ignorant fool, do you have strong opinions on everything you see from just a few seconds video clip? This is by far the worst snowfall I’ve seen here & it’s to get worse over night!
COYBIB

OA260

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:36 pm

More than 50 Aer Lingus flights have been cancelled up until 11am in the morning, affecting around 10,000 passengers.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/03 ... s-country/

holcakker

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:15 pm

eicvd wrote:
holcakker wrote:

Ah another ignorant fool, do you have strong opinions on everything you see from just a few seconds video clip? This is by far the worst snowfall I’ve seen here & it’s to get worse over night!

Just one of the millions who can't understand why average winter weather is considered the end of the world by people who can't handle it. It snows in the UK every year for at least 10 years now (and will continue to do so) but you simply refuse to learn how to prepare for it and live with it. Winter tires, snow ploughs, de-icing rigs etc are needed even if you use it only for 2 weeks every year. You say that it's too expensive instead and have "hell" again and again. No one cares what the price is, if you want to have your country running you need to spend on it. Airports in Southern-France or Italy being closed as well is not an excuse. If others around the world can do it so could you.

OA260

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:29 pm

holcakker wrote:
eicvd wrote:
holcakker wrote:

Just one of the millions who can't understand why average winter weather is considered the end of the world by people who can't handle it. It snows in the UK every year for at least 10 years now (and will continue to do so) but you simply refuse to learn how to prepare for it and live with it. Winter tires, snow ploughs, de-icing rigs etc are needed even if you use it only for 2 weeks every year. You say that it's too expensive instead and have "hell" again and again. No one cares what the price is, if you want to have your country running you need to spend on it. Airports in Southern-France or Italy being closed as well is not an excuse. If others around the world can do it so could you.

We are not in the UK ! Ireland does not have these volumes of snow every year if at all. The last few days have seen snow not seen since records began in various areas of the country. You cant justify spending millions for once every 20-30 years. Other countries are used to it because its an annual event. Ireland needs to spend the money on flood defences into the next 2 decades because that is the greatest threat. Again lack of knowledge of the situation on the ground often leads to knee jerk comments from people who are void of the facts.

Skyblue39

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:32 pm

holcakker wrote:
eicvd wrote:
holcakker wrote:

It’s impossible to take someone like you seriously when you think Dublin is in the UK. Posting on an aviation board, if you don’t have a clue about basic geography, then you’re hardly worth listening to....maybe you should buy an atlas rather than talking shite.

mast2407

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:11 pm

holcakker wrote:
eicvd wrote:
holcakker wrote:

We got 5-6 inches of snow in my part of the country, and we didn’t get it that bad by comparison to various parts of the country who were dealing with snow drifts of 5-6 feet. (Indeed, my brother in law sent me a photo that showed him standing on a road sign, which was just peeking out above the snow).

I think your points are all moot. And I hope for your sake that you’re a troll, because if you’re really believing what you’re saying, well, my sympathies.

Stay safe.

DalRiada

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:14 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
holcakker wrote:
eicvd wrote:

It’s impossible to take someone like you seriously when you think Dublin is in the UK. Posting on an aviation board, if you don’t have a clue about basic geography, then you’re hardly worth listening to....maybe you should buy an atlas rather than talking shite.

Absolutely spot on.

Eirules

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:49 pm

I think this thread has become really poor taste. Whether it be tongue in cheek or not, to jest about a group of utter scumbags looting, causing criminal damage and jeopardizing peoples jobs is not something to laugh at. Shame on you

leghorn

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:54 pm

Do you think we're not disgusted? Hopefully, it results in the Gardai having leverage to get proper funding. I doubt there is a single set of winter tyres in the local Garda station.
Sanctimonious you! Shame on you!

Eirules

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:55 pm

Not at all sanctimonious. Just not impressed by your post. It’s in poor taste, simple

eicvd

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:56 pm

holcakker wrote:
eicvd wrote:
holcakker wrote:

Ah ignorance is bliss

1) Dublin isn’t in the UK
2) Average winter weather isn’t the same the world over
3) We’re not exactly ‘rolling in it’ here, spending money to be prepared for a winter storm that happens on average every 10 years isn’t exactly spending wisely
COYBIB

leghorn

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:57 pm

Eirules wrote:
Not at all sanctimonious. Just not impressed by your post. It’s in poor taste, simple

You tend toward sanctimony and you thought you saw your opportunity.

leghorn

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:04 pm

We'll agree to differ. Without my sense of humour I wouldn't have been able to endure living in a similar West Dublin up-and-coming suburb like that for as long as did.

Eirules

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:13 pm

I’ve worked in that environment for 10 years. I’ve worked in that industry for 20. I’ve seen decent honest hardworking people’s lives blighted by the kind of utter scum who looted and destroyed tonight. The scum who scrounge off the state and ignore the law because they know they’ll only get a slap on the wrist. And to hear about it, whatever way you spin it, is in poor taste. If you think I’m sanctimonious for that, I’m happy to be sanctimonious

KingB123

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:20 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
holcakker wrote:
eicvd wrote:

Hear Hear!!!! :lol:
King B

leghorn

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:35 pm

Eirules wrote:
I’ve worked in that environment for 10 years. I’ve worked in that industry for 20. I’ve seen decent honest hardworking people’s lives blighted by the kind of utter scum who looted and destroyed tonight. The scum who scrounge off the state and ignore the law because they know they’ll only get a slap on the wrist. And to hear about it, whatever way you spin it, is in poor taste. If you think I’m sanctimonious for that, I’m happy to be sanctimonious

So you seem to have no better experience of that environment than me then. Last big freeze in 2010 the local scallywags from my West Dublin suburb were hiding behind the wall of the housing estate I lived in throwing snowballs at the cars as they crawled past on impassable roads in a blizzard...except they weren't throwing snowballs...they were finding blocks of ice, kicking them free with their boots and then covering them in snow so that they looked like snowballs and then throwing them at the cars and they were certain to cause a road accident which could have resulted in injury. I came out to them and ran them away but they came back and tried to damage my front door and vandalized the old car parked on-street in front of my house which didn't belong to me. That is the type of people you are dealing with and either you approach your lot with a sense of humour or you are held hostage by their low-level terrorism.
When I was on-site and in a position to act I acted. Now, again I say you are sanctimonious but you don't hold a higher moral position than me.

Eirules

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:50 pm

I never claimed to hold a higher moral position, but I’ve a very different view on it than you.

You call them scallywags, I call them scum. You say one option is to approach them with a sense of humor, for me that just encourages their behaviour.

You reminisce about throwing blocks of ice instead of snowballs. On Wednesday the local “scallywags” threw rocks consealed in snow at passing cars. One smashed a window and hit the young passenger in the head requiring hospitalization. Let’s have a sense of humour about that too.

I can’t believe on an aviation forum I’m having to convince a grown adult that looting, breaking & entering, criminal damage and assault are to be condemned and appalled, and not the kind of behaviour to have a sense of humour about.

I repeat, shame on you

litz

Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:12 am

Danny wrote:
Looking at the photos on irishtimes they have a max 3 cm of snow, the country is at standstill and their Prime Minister appeals to people to stay home. Funny really.

We, here in Atlanta, understand fully

atcsundevil

Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:37 am

Please keep the thread on topic or it will be locked.

✈️ atcsundevil

berari

Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:36 am

Aaaaaanyway Ethiopian Airlines' flight to Toronto that normally does a tech stop at DUB flew nonstop from Addis Ababa to Toronto. Took it 14 hours and 8 minutes. The flight to Washington DC stopped at Brussels instead of DUB.

uconn99

Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:07 am

Geez that got interesting.

I noticed the BDL-DUB flight took off tonight so I am guessing things are getting back to normal?

Phen

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:43 am

Dublin Airport HAS been open and runways cleared during a lot of this bad weather. DUB does have a lot of snow clearing equipment, its not like they are completely unprepared. BUT a really big factor in the disruption that you're seeing is that staff cannot get to the airport to work. Airlines are taking the decision to cancel flights, not the airport. This is the worst snow event in Ireland since 1982 - drifts of 50cm or more are widespread around the Dublin area. People are snowed in.

For those of you who laugh and say we should be better able to cope- I for one would much rather have a few days of disruption like this every 30 years rather than my government spending perhaps billions of euro investing in equipment to be used once in a blue moon rather than spending it on hospitals, schools, social welfare, infrastructure etc. Just my 2 cents :twocents:

OA260

Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:25 am

A few widebodies heading to DUB today to clear the backlog of passengers .

LH A333 D-AIKI FRA DUB

TK A333 TC-JOG IST DUB

dampfnudel

Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:41 am

Aesma wrote:
I wonder what the economic impact will be. Here in France I've never seen so much snow, several times week after week, at work many people just don't bother coming as they don't want to be stranded, parkings are half empty...

Well car repair companies will make a killing !

I didn’t realize you were having such a bad winter over there. I know even a little snow can cause significant problems there. Hopefully a mild spring is just around the corner.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

AA AI CO CL DE DL EA HA KL LH N7 PA PQ SK RO TW UA YR

holcakker

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:12 am

eicvd wrote:
holcakker wrote:
eicvd wrote:

Ah ignorance is bliss

1) Dublin isn’t in the UK
2) Average winter weather isn’t the same the world over
3) We’re not exactly ‘rolling in it’ here, spending money to be prepared for a winter storm that happens on average every 10 years isn’t exactly spending wisely

From the point of this topic the difference is that the UK is a bunch of people unable to cope with snow while Ireland is a bunch of people nearby unable to cope with snow therefore it's entirely irrelevant here. All your posts are proving my point: one can't just moan on money otherwise you get to the situation you are in now. Why would you prefer to have them spent all of it on flood defence? Because it's happening ever year? Snow started to and will happen every year too (most likely you noticed the recent climate and weather change). It's not another 5-10 years till you get this again but this December. Spending ALL on hospitals is not a wise thing if the docors can't get in when the white thingy starts to fall and it will. Sorry for the OT, the last one here.

[email protected]

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:42 am

The last time the UK (I cannot speak for Ireland) got 7" or more of snow on the ground (excluding build ups) was a couple decades ago. The UK is a country of moderate weather: it's rarely too hot or too cold; it's rarely too wet or too dry; it's rarely too good or too bad. It's moderate. So while light snow is commonplace, significant snow - for a country with moderate weather - isn't. It's ludicrous to compare the UK's weather - and that of Ireland - with the likes of Canada, Norway, etc. - countries well used to significant snow.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

eidvm

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:49 am

There would be public outcry if money was spent on snow clearing equiptment instead of other areas that need it more, this will have been the largest snow event since 1947 in Ireland, and despite the fact the country shut down, the general opinion amongst the public was that it was quite well handled, no deaths or severe injuries reported, and only a couple days business lost though many were able to work from home.

The airport officially on paper remained open almost entirely throughout the event, the only reason so many flights were cancelled was due to no staff; pilots, cabin crew and ground handlers being able to get in, with side roads, mountain roads and local roads being impassable as only primary and secondary roads get cleared and treated, public transport shut down for safety and companies and employers respecting the state emergency coordination committee's "Red Level Warning" to remain indoors for an 18hour period during gale force winds and blizzards, with accumulations in places in excess of 8ft of snow being deposited within 12 hours.

Ireland doesn't get snow often, and this time around it was managed better than most expected. The decision to cancel all flights in the country on Thursday evening, yesterday and this morning has meant that all aircraft are now in the correct position to commence the recovery of the operation and get people where they need to be.

captainmeeerkat

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:59 am

I live in Russia, and we know a few things about snow. What was in Ireland over the last few days was completely unnatural and like something you would see here.
Anyone with a bit of common sense understands that this is not the norm in Ireland and there is no way to be prepared for it.
my luggage is better travelled than me!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos