factsonly
Posts: 2693
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:28 pm

Question is, is HU competitive with its new DUB-PEK service?

The fastest DUB-PEK is the new non-stop service on HU, however..........
The DUB-PEK via EDI service on HU takes longer than a transfer flight via LHR or AMS, as EDI transit time is a full 2 hrs (longer than the transfer time at LHR/AMS):

- DUB 11:10 - PEK 05:00 HU750 A333 10hrs50min Non-stop Tue, Sat
- DUB 08:00 - PEK 05:00 HU751/HU752 A333 14hrs0min (via EDI) Thu, Sun

- DUB 18:00 - 19.20 LHR 20.25 - PEK 13.05 12hrs05min EI178/EI7938 codeshare BA Daily
- DUB 11:00 - 13.40 AMS 14.40 - PEK 06.15 12hrs15min KLM/CZ Daily exSat,Sun
- DUB 13:20 - 16.00 AMS 17.25 - PEK 08:55 12hrs35min KLM/KLM Daily

With its current frequency and routing, HU will need to play with pricing to attract business passsengers.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4271
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:10 pm

factsonly wrote:
Question is, is HU competitive with its new DUB-PEK service?

No.

My biggest peeve is that HU's connections at PEK are vastly inferior to CA's - not only domestically (e.g. you can't connect to the likes of CGO, HRB, KWL, NKG, SHE, TAO etc), but internationally too (e.g. ICN, KIX, MNL, NRT, PUS, SYD etc). In particular for DUB, CA's Australasian network ex-PEK could have been a good top-up through VFR traffic - a PEK routing to AKL and SYD beats a routing through DXB (and HKG, to AKL). HU doesn't have this, and instead, has dumped EDI into its DUB service, to compensate.

Aside from connections, HU also lacks competitiveness through:

- Cargo: the 330's will lift less cargo than the 787's ex-DUB, which hinders HU's ability to target high-value Irish exports for cargo - this would've improved route economics.

- Image: with the HNA Group's finances in tatters and HU behind on fuel and lease payments, people may be nervous about booking HU tickets (and them being fulfilled).

- Terminal: HU may be moving to BJS' new airport - Daxing - which is much further away from BJS CBD than PEK, adding time to the overall journey (on top of EDI stops).

mast2407 wrote:
And what about their financial vulnerability? Are they about to go bust?

Yes - see: https://aviationnews.online/2018/03/13/ ... go-unpaid/.

Hainan Airlines hasn’t paid its fuel bills since October 2017 ... [its] only just ahead of legal cash minimums ... to remain operational

Cheers,

C.
 
georgiabill
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:53 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:26 pm

Happy St Patrick's day everyone. A quick question. Is there enough demand for a NRT-DUB-NRT perhaps 3x or 4x weekly? If so assuming there is enough demand and EI had the plane to fly the route(would the A339 be able to do it without significant payload hit) or would JL,NH be more likely to operate the route.
Is there any chance of seeing EI launch their own service to JNB and or CPT and BOM and or DEL from DUB in the next 3 or 4 years assuming their longhaul continues to grow?
 
mast2407
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:15 am

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:47 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
factsonly wrote:
Question is, is HU competitive with its new DUB-PEK service?

No.

My biggest peeve is that HU's connections at PEK are vastly inferior to CA's - not only domestically (e.g. you can't connect to the likes of CGO, HRB, KWL, NKG, SHE, TAO etc), but internationally too (e.g. ICN, KIX, MNL, NRT, PUS, SYD etc). In particular for DUB, CA's Australasian network ex-PEK could have been a good top-up through VFR traffic - a PEK routing to AKL and SYD beats a routing through DXB (and HKG, to AKL). HU doesn't have this, and instead, has dumped EDI into its DUB service, to compensate.

Aside from connections, HU also lacks competitiveness through:

- Cargo: the 330's will lift less cargo than the 787's ex-DUB, which hinders HU's ability to target high-value Irish exports for cargo - this would've improved route economics.

- Image: with the HNA Group's finances in tatters and HU behind on fuel and lease payments, people may be nervous about booking HU tickets (and them being fulfilled).

- Terminal: HU may be moving to BJS' new airport - Daxing - which is much further away from BJS CBD than PEK, adding time to the overall journey (on top of EDI stops).

mast2407 wrote:
And what about their financial vulnerability? Are they about to go bust?

Yes - see: https://aviationnews.online/2018/03/13/ ... go-unpaid/.

Hainan Airlines hasn’t paid its fuel bills since October 2017 ... [its] only just ahead of legal cash minimums ... to remain operational

Cheers,

C.


I'm not sure I see the same problem as yourself with the A330, I mean, EI's fleet is predominantly A330, with the exception of some B757's. They get by just fine. The Hainan 787 has 213 or 288 seats, their A330's have either 222 or 292 seats, that's not a whole pile of difference. Cargo capacity may not be an issue for Hainan, given that they are trying an entirely new market. They're presumption may be that initially capacity isn't an issue for them, and their 787's seem to be based in the US anyways, which is a longer route from China, so I'm imagining that they have actually assessed their fleet usage and are acting as they see fit.

Connection wise, between the Middle East, the various Euro hubs (Amsterdam, Paris, London), and the IAG connection, Asia is actually reasonably well served from Dublin, so is Australasia.

I don't see what CA has to do with this? Did they apply for the route? Do they want it? Did they want it?

Your gripe with EDI is misjudged, seeing as everyone who knows anything is of the opinion that if EDI doesn't perform, it'll be given the boot, and DUB will become direct. Give it a wait and see. Let the route mature and see what happens, is my belief.

The financial issue is the only one that might really affect it, but if that's what happens, that's what happens. Norwegian, Emirates, Qatar, Etihad we've had rumours of all of these demises until kingdom come.

See what happens is my response to you generally, and perhaps have a dose of optimism?
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 4698
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:07 pm

iRISH251 wrote:
Is this not really the selling of seats on what would otherwise be a positioning flight? A departure from Dublin late on Friday and return early Sunday allows the aircraft to operate from MAN for the day on Saturday, probably to "sun" destinations.


That's exactly what it is. The aircraft fly to places like Manchester to Ibiza on the weekend in summer. Clearly the Dublin to Ibiza BA route from last summer made less money than flying from the UK, which is a shame. I really enjoyed that flight - the BA Cityflyer crews out of LCY are wonderful.

When it comes to Hainan they are a 5 star Skytrax airline, it's just a shame they are not in any alliance. That's the reason why I'm far more excited about Cathay Pacific to HKG. I hope that works out well. Hopefully they'll also capture some traffic down to Australia since they have a really good network there. I'd also rather visit / connect through HKG really.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
BestWestern
Posts: 8296
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:40 pm

I believe that in Edinburgh you will have to leave the aircraft and clear security.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4271
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:28 am

mast2407 wrote:
I'm not sure I see the same problem as yourself with the A330, I mean, EI's fleet is predominantly A330, with the exception of some B757's. They get by just fine.

You're comparing apples and oranges - EI doesn't have the same route economic pressures that HU will have at DUB (e.g. with its brand recognition built up over several decades, able to attract traffic at a level that HU can't). Any cost savings for a marginal route like DUB - PEK would be welcomed (from the 787's), so as to encourage the route's sustainability.

mast2407 wrote:
Connection wise, between the Middle East, the various Euro hubs (Amsterdam, Paris, London), and the IAG connection, Asia is actually reasonably well served from Dublin, so is Australasia.

For an economy as internationalised as Ireland's, route connectivity ex-DUB to Asia-Pacific is terrible - time-sensitive business traffic does not want to connect through CDG or LHR, and shouldn't have to. We're talking about a few routes to global financial centres, like NRT and SIN - not secondary cities like KIX or KUL - this is hardly a big ask for Ireland! :roll:

mast2407 wrote:
Your gripe with EDI is misjudged, seeing as everyone who knows anything is of the opinion that if EDI doesn't perform, it'll be given the boot, and DUB will become direct.

Says who? The service will not attract as many people as it could have, had the EDI stop not been added, and that's my main problem - this service will not the showcase true demand for a China - DUB service, as many will continue to fly through CDG or LHR because 1) only 2x flights per week are truly non-stop, and 2) EDI transit times are longer than others.

Cheers,

C.
 
eidvm
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:44 am

planemanofnz wrote:
mast2407 wrote:
I'm not sure I see the same problem as yourself with the A330, I mean, EI's fleet is predominantly A330, with the exception of some B757's. They get by just fine.

You're comparing apples and oranges - EI doesn't have the same route economic pressures that HU will have at DUB (e.g. with its brand recognition built up over several decades, able to attract traffic at a level that HU can't). Any cost savings for a marginal route like DUB - PEK would be welcomed (from the 787's), so as to encourage the route's sustainability.

Cheers,

C.


Is it not the case with the significantly cheaper leasing costs of a second hand A330 vs B787 at the moment, that given the low fuel prices it can actually be as cheap if not cheaper to operate second hand A330s on routes vs the latest generation of long-haul Jetliners? That certainly seems to be the impression of certain Airline managers, in particular Aer Lingus and Level which seems to be pushing a strategy of deferring new A350s and instead going for older generation and second hand A330s. When you compare their cost base to the likes of Norwegian who have very fuel efficient B787s but with very high lease payments the economics seem night and day.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4271
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:01 am

eidvm wrote:
Is it not the case with the significantly cheaper leasing costs of a second hand A330 vs B787 at the moment, that given the low fuel prices it can actually be as cheap if not cheaper to operate second hand A330s on routes vs the latest generation of long-haul Jetliners? That certainly seems to be the impression of certain Airline managers, in particular Aer Lingus and Level which seems to be pushing a strategy of deferring new A350s and instead going for older generation and second hand A330s. When you compare their cost base to the likes of Norwegian who have very fuel efficient B787s but with very high lease payments the economics seem night and day.

That's actually a fair point - I guess I was just working on the assumption that HU owned at least some of both 330's and 787's.

Cheers,

C.
 
mast2407
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:15 am

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:32 am

planemanofnz wrote:
mast2407 wrote:
I'm not sure I see the same problem as yourself with the A330, I mean, EI's fleet is predominantly A330, with the exception of some B757's. They get by just fine.

You're comparing apples and oranges - EI doesn't have the same route economic pressures that HU will have at DUB (e.g. with its brand recognition built up over several decades, able to attract traffic at a level that HU can't). Any cost savings for a marginal route like DUB - PEK would be welcomed (from the 787's), so as to encourage the route's sustainability.

mast2407 wrote:
Connection wise, between the Middle East, the various Euro hubs (Amsterdam, Paris, London), and the IAG connection, Asia is actually reasonably well served from Dublin, so is Australasia.

For an economy as internationalised as Ireland's, route connectivity ex-DUB to Asia-Pacific is terrible - time-sensitive business traffic does not want to connect through CDG or LHR, and shouldn't have to. We're talking about a few routes to global financial centres, like NRT and SIN - not secondary cities like KIX or KUL - this is hardly a big ask for Ireland! :roll:

mast2407 wrote:
Your gripe with EDI is misjudged, seeing as everyone who knows anything is of the opinion that if EDI doesn't perform, it'll be given the boot, and DUB will become direct.

Says who? The service will not attract as many people as it could have, had the EDI stop not been added, and that's my main problem - this service will not the showcase true demand for a China - DUB service, as many will continue to fly through CDG or LHR because 1) only 2x flights per week are truly non-stop, and 2) EDI transit times are longer than others.

Cheers,

C.


1What is the cost saving of a 787 v 330? Looking at fr24 currently, all bar one flight to Europe are 330s. All bar 2 flights to North America are 787s. As I’ve said, it looks like their 787s are otherwise engaged on routes that cannot be flown by a 330.

2Actually, it is a phenomenal ask for Ireland. We have direct flights to LHR, AMS, CDG, DXB, AUH, IST, JFK, ORD, LAX, SFO, BOS, ATL, among others, providing one stop hubs to pretty much anywhere on the planet. The advantage to any of these is that you get loyalty points for shopping with airlines or alliances, why would anyone want to fly with anyone else as it is? The fact that Hainan is considering the route at all is a good thing. (I’m saying that as someone who rolls his eyes every time EI announce yet another route to the USA). You’ve still not answered whether CA wanted the route or not?

3How do you know? What’s your analysis stemming from? Above you’re saying traffic doesn’t want to travel through the likes of CDG or LHR because of long transfer times, here you’re saying traffic wants to travel through CDG and LHR, and doesn’t want to travel through EDI because it adds 2 hours to a flight? A 2 hour connection time is the stuff dreams are made of where I think the minimum recommended time for long haul travel is an absolute minimum of 45 minutes, if you’re lucky and everything majestically working on time. I’ve seen aircraft spend more time than that taxiing and disembarking passengers. The vast majority of connections through LHR (from EI to BA) require that you change terminal, let alone change aircraft, and don’t get me started on connections through CDG, where it feels in some cases like you’re hiking to the North Pole. Ethiopian uses Dublin as a stopover on its way to the US and Canada. Those flights, by all accounts are doing well. Several industry observers suggest that whichever of the cities doesn’t perform, will be dropped entirely by Hainan.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23424
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:38 am

Interesting flight on the boards today


Image
 
eicvd
Posts: 1411
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:11 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:47 am

OA260 wrote:
Interesting flight on the boards today


Image


The odd biz jet flight often shows on the arrivals boards.

I must the only one with no interest in the new EI uniform, has 0 bearing on how I enjoy a flight.

In other news, plenty of delays & holding this morning with weather.
COYBIB
 
mast2407
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:15 am

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:26 am

eicvd wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Interesting flight on the boards today


Image


The odd biz jet flight often shows on the arrivals boards.

I must the only one with no interest in the new EI uniform, has 0 bearing on how I enjoy a flight.

In other news, plenty of delays & holding this morning with weather.


Seems the return flight to Indianapolis is on the way. It got here via Gander.
 
iRISH251
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:56 am

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:39 pm

mast2407 wrote:
eicvd wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Interesting flight on the boards today


Image


The odd biz jet flight often shows on the arrivals boards.

I must the only one with no interest in the new EI uniform, has 0 bearing on how I enjoy a flight.

In other news, plenty of delays & holding this morning with weather.


Seems the return flight to Indianapolis is on the way. It got here via Gander.


One of two Miami Air 737s operating St Patrick's Day charters. Both departed this morning DUB-KEF-YQX-IND.
Image
 
dstc47
Posts: 1410
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 1999 3:53 am

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:33 pm

Miami Air

Possibly Purdue University Marching Band returning from a chilly St Patricks parade?
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1862
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:38 pm

eicvd wrote:

I must the only one with no interest in the new EI uniform, has 0 bearing on how I enjoy a flight.

In other news, plenty of delays & holding this morning with weather.


I agree, yes a new one will be good but no interest with the pro/cons of the current one. Guess each to their own and all that..
__________

On another note, are staff at LHR not bothered enforcing priority boarding for Aer Lingus. Yes customers boarded first however people who didn't want to join the "General Boarding" queue decided to use priority lane and the staff just allowed them skip the queue.

I suspect Aer Lingus will restrict hand baggage cases on board and force customers to use the hold by the end of the year.
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 9666
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:17 pm

Had a nice visit to DUB this morning; Tuesday isn't the best day, of course, but the weather was lovely. A visitor asked me about completion dates for the new tower and the new runway. I wasn't sure of the latter, but I guessed 2020. What is the current plan?

He also observed that the new runway is not precisely parallel to 28, according to a layout plan he had seen. Is it supposed to be? Is it still planned to designate it 28R/10L?
 
LH982
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:28 pm

kaitak wrote:

He also observed that the new runway is not precisely parallel to 28, according to a layout plan he had seen. Is it supposed to be? Is it still planned to designate it 28R/10L?


Anything I have seen shows it as parallel. I can only think he's seen a plan with the old runway 29 on it, and taken that as the direction of the new runway
 
georgiabill
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:53 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:38 pm

Could DUB support a 3x or 4x NRT-DUB-NRT service on JL or NH? Would EI consider adding an Asian service from DUB?

Is EI still going to be getting A330 NEO'S? When will they receive their first aircraft?
 
EI321
Posts: 4948
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:43 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:50 pm

EI dont have any current plans to get A330NEO's but that might change since the A350 order has been quietly dropped.

I think we are likely to see a service to BKK before NRT but EI wont be operating either. They are focusing on North America, partially because it ties in well with connecting traffic to Europe.
 
Phen
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:05 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:14 pm

kaitak wrote:
...is not precisely parallel to 28, according to a layout plan he had seen. Is it supposed to be? Is it still planned to designate it 28R/10L?

Yes it should be parallel to the existing runway if it is to be used for mixed mode operations (ie landings and departures on both runways at the same time). The renderings I have seen certainly show it as parallel. Im sure they would want it parallel to have that option but they may decide to alternate runway use like LHR to give local residents a break from the noise.
 
DalRiada
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:30 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:06 pm

Phen wrote:
kaitak wrote:
...is not precisely parallel to 28, according to a layout plan he had seen. Is it supposed to be? Is it still planned to designate it 28R/10L?

Yes it should be parallel to the existing runway if it is to be used for mixed mode operations (ie landings and departures on both runways at the same time). The renderings I have seen certainly show it as parallel. Im sure they would want it parallel to have that option but they may decide to alternate runway use like LHR to give local residents a break from the noise.



Image


Unless things have changed since this image was released (and it's still on the FAQs of the North Runway section of the Dublin Airport website), it'll still be 28/10.
 
eirflot
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:08 pm

Surprised!!
No mention of Ryanair and it's latest partial acquisition- Lsudamotion!
Seems if you wait you get what you want!!
 
CFNFlyer
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:02 am

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:23 pm

kaitak wrote:
Had a nice visit to DUB this morning; Tuesday isn't the best day, of course, but the weather was lovely. A visitor asked me about completion dates for the new tower and the new runway. I wasn't sure of the latter, but I guessed 2020. What is the current plan?

He also observed that the new runway is not precisely parallel to 28, according to a layout plan he had seen. Is it supposed to be? Is it still planned to designate it 28R/10L?


Think I read somewhere recently that they're now aiming for 2021, presumably due to the recent delays with court dates and the noise regulators. The winner of the main works tender is due to be announced shortly so I suspect we'll have a clearer picture of timelines then
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23424
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:04 am

Quite a lot of disruption on TATL today .

SNN Service

Aer Lingus flight EI 111 to JFK at 12.45 today is cancelled due to snow storm in the New York region. EI 110 (Return leg of the flight) due in SNN 22nd March at 6am is also cancelled.
Aer Lingus fight EI 135 to Boston will depart 1 hour earlier than schedule today. Now departing at 11am and EI 134 will depart earlier than scheduled from Boston to Shannon to avoid the snow storm. Departure time on the 22nd has changed and will now depart at 20.00hrs on the 21st (Irish time) with an arrival time in Shannon at approx 1-2am (22nd), weather permitting.

---

U.S. weather disruption

Aer Lingus flights to/from the Northeast of the United States on Wednesday 21st and Thursday 22nd March

Update at 09:20 Wednesday 21st March


Severe Winter weather conditions are forecast for the Northeast of the United States on Wednesday 21st and Thursday 22nd March. We have unfortunately been forced to cancel a number of flights on Wednesday 21st March as a result and are monitoring the situation closely in relation to our schedule for Thursday 22nd March.


https://www.aerlingus.com/support/fligh ... formation/
 
Eirules
Posts: 1850
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:14 am

I saw yesterday that IB announced a deepening of ties with QR to places like Asia & Australia. This follows on from a similar announcement from BA a few weeks prior. I think it only a matter of time before we see the same from EI, with the EY codeshares dropped
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....
 
CarbHeatIn
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:31 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:31 am

At 11:00, Newstalk (Pat Kenny) is broadcasting the first in a three part series marking the 50th anniversary of the Tuskar Rock disaster.
 
User avatar
RRTrent
Posts: 459
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:12 am

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:33 am

DalRiada wrote:
Unless things have changed since this image was released (and it's still on the FAQs of the North Runway section of the Dublin Airport website), it'll still be 28/10.


Am I reading this right in saying that we'll see parallel arrivals from the west and parallel departures to the west?
 
VFRonTop
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:37 pm

RRTrent wrote:
Am I reading this right in saying that we'll see parallel arrivals from the west and parallel departures to the west?


My understanding is that coastal take off and landings (over the Irish Sea) will primarily use the existing southern runway, whereas inland arrivals and departures will be split evenly between the runways.
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1862
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:23 pm

Runway ops has not been fully decided but more than likely what VFRonTop has stated will happen, runway plans have no changed and the time frame is late 2020 opening.

In other news AF have announced ORK-CDG will operate year round daily.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23424
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:19 pm

Reports coming in of a blaze at the Metro Hotel Dublin Airport.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23424
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:03 am

“Aer Lingus has launched a Request for Information for Commercial Support for Transatlantic Network Development (RFI). The process presents a unique opportunity for North American airports and their local communities to invest alongside Aer Lingus in the introduction or expansion of Aer Lingus service. Multiple studies have shown the economic multiplier benefits of international air service. Aer Lingus would operate to Dublin, Europe’s fastest growing transatlantic hub, offering both US Customs and Border Protection pre-clearance and extensive onward connectivity throughout Europe.

The process is extended to both airports not yet served by Aer Lingus for new route opportunity and those already served by Aer Lingus, for increased capacity/frequencies. The process applies to both the A321LR aircraft as well as existing A330 aircraft, as wide-body capacity may become available by substitution with the new A321LR aircraft.

Airports along with local government, business and tourism bodies are invited to submit information to assist in building the commercial and operational case to operate a new direct route by 6th April, 2018. Shortlisted airport meetings will take place at the end of April at Routes Europe, followed by an official announcement of 2019 destinations in early May.”

Source from HFP
 
Eirules
Posts: 1850
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:07 am

OA260 wrote:
“Aer Lingus has launched a Request for Information for Commercial Support for Transatlantic Network Development (RFI). The process presents a unique opportunity for North American airports and their local communities to invest alongside Aer Lingus in the introduction or expansion of Aer Lingus service. Multiple studies have shown the economic multiplier benefits of international air service. Aer Lingus would operate to Dublin, Europe’s fastest growing transatlantic hub, offering both US Customs and Border Protection pre-clearance and extensive onward connectivity throughout Europe.

The process is extended to both airports not yet served by Aer Lingus for new route opportunity and those already served by Aer Lingus, for increased capacity/frequencies. The process applies to both the A321LR aircraft as well as existing A330 aircraft, as wide-body capacity may become available by substitution with the new A321LR aircraft.

Airports along with local government, business and tourism bodies are invited to submit information to assist in building the commercial and operational case to operate a new direct route by 6th April, 2018. Shortlisted airport meetings will take place at the end of April at Routes Europe, followed by an official announcement of 2019 destinations in early May.”

Source from HFP


I’m assuming they’re looking for similar deals to what they got for BDL. Does this mean we could see EI at smaller airports or cities with limited transatlantic service such as PIT, DTW, SLC, PDX, ALB etc?
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....
 
EI321
Posts: 4948
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:43 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:28 am

Very lucky that nobody was injured at that hotel / apartment fire in Ballymun. It is the same building that was involved in a serious incident when an approaching jet navigated towards it on approach after mistaking its aviation lights for runway 16/34's lights.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland ... -1.3435687
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2412
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:59 am

Eirules wrote:
OA260 wrote:
“Aer Lingus has launched a Request for Information for Commercial Support for Transatlantic Network Development (RFI).


I’m assuming they’re looking for similar deals to what they got for BDL. Does this mean we could see EI at smaller airports or cities with limited transatlantic service such as PIT, DTW, SLC, PDX, ALB etc?


Its not too dissimilar in concept to the Eurowings "You Vote. We Fly" social media campaign that involved Cork. It has been pointed out in the past that EI has a relatively limited brand recognition outside the major diaspora cities of the US. Clearly this kind of thing will help to boost their profile in second and third-tier US cities. Interestingly, on US based FFP blogs/websites they do seem to score well, particularly in Business. I think EI will be very interested in cities we've never heard much of - in part because of their lack of transatlantic service. IT seems like a good scheme.

IAG really seem to be pushing on with financial services at the minute. Nothing so far in the Irish market, but EI and IB have new US credit cards, IB have a new MasterCard and Vueling have a new Visa in Italy. Interestingly the Italian card earns 1 Avios point for each Euro spent. An exceptional rate for a Visa card and useful for those who live in the Euro area.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23424
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:15 pm

The 'Metro North' is now the MetroLink - here's what it'll look like
There will be a total of 15 new Metro stations as part of the €3-billion development.

THESE ARE THE plans for the MetroLink – a north-south train that will run between Swords and Sandyford.

The high-frequency, electric rail service is planned to be open to the public from 2027, and is estimated to cost €3 billion, although this is subject to change as the final designs haven’t been confirmed.

www.thejournal.ie/metro-link-route-3918018-Mar2018/
 
User avatar
IrishTexan
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:24 am

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:00 pm

Report On Shannon Flood Embankments Nearing Completion
How real is the flooding threat to SNN ops.?
https://www.clare.fm/news/report-shanno ... ompletion/
 
Galwayman
Posts: 704
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:53 pm

The ‘request for bribes ,,,, sorry .... information strategy ‘ clearly indicates there is zero interest in EI in wasting money going East to Tokyo Bangkok etc .... but it’s a really good strategy and think it can work for them

I can see possibly Doha or Dubai on an A321LR ( does it have the legs ?? ) on behalf of QR to increase feed and maintain the QR loyalty base ex DXB during the current embargo ..
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 5265
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:43 pm

The A321LR should have the legs for the middle east but I think it's unlikely they'd venture down there again, even with the narrow body. A code share with QR would probably be enough if the relationship with EY ends.

Speaking of which, here's the first official rendering.

Image

Not sure the racoon eyes will quite work with the current livery!
 
mast2407
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:15 am

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:01 pm

IrishTexan wrote:
Report On Shannon Flood Embankments Nearing Completion
How real is the flooding threat to SNN ops.?
https://www.clare.fm/news/report-shanno ... ompletion/


http://maps.opw.ie/floodplans/fhr_map/e ... 51332&Z=11

That link will take you to an interactive map, you can click on specific areas and it will show high medium and low probability. The long, and short of it is, that in instances of minor flood events, Shannon Airport is perfectly safe. In instances, however, of greater flood events, the airport does get affected. In the long term, the airport does need to safeguard against flooding. Pretty much every settlement the entire along the route of the river Shannon are at risk within the next 100 years of loosing land to the river.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23424
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:25 pm

Hainan Airlines flights now on sale from DUB .
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2412
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:42 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
The A321LR should have the legs for the middle east but I think it's unlikely they'd venture down there again, even with the narrow body. A code share with QR would probably be enough if the relationship with EY ends.


BA already have a JV with QR, IB have expanded codesharing, so its highly likely that EI will deepen their relationship with QR over time. It might be that EI need to join oneworld first, but its probably not mandatory. It will be interesting to see if Air Italy join oneworld or not, which might signal that less traditional airlines are welcome at the oneworld table.
 
Clydenairways
Posts: 1216
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:27 am

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:59 pm

shamrock350 wrote:

Speaking of which, here's the first official rendering.


I wonder if the engines will be changed to the LEAP ?
 
Skyblue39
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:14 pm

Eirules wrote:
OA260 wrote:
“Aer Lingus has launched a Request for Information for Commercial Support for Transatlantic Network Development (RFI). The process presents a unique opportunity for North American airports and their local communities to invest alongside Aer Lingus in the introduction or expansion of Aer Lingus service. Multiple studies have shown the economic multiplier benefits of international air service. Aer Lingus would operate to Dublin, Europe’s fastest growing transatlantic hub, offering both US Customs and Border Protection pre-clearance and extensive onward connectivity throughout Europe.

The process is extended to both airports not yet served by Aer Lingus for new route opportunity and those already served by Aer Lingus, for increased capacity/frequencies. The process applies to both the A321LR aircraft as well as existing A330 aircraft, as wide-body capacity may become available by substitution with the new A321LR aircraft.

Airports along with local government, business and tourism bodies are invited to submit information to assist in building the commercial and operational case to operate a new direct route by 6th April, 2018. Shortlisted airport meetings will take place at the end of April at Routes Europe, followed by an official announcement of 2019 destinations in early May.”

Source from HFP


I’m assuming they’re looking for similar deals to what they got for BDL. Does this mean we could see EI at smaller airports or cities with limited transatlantic service such as PIT, DTW, SLC, PDX, ALB etc?


Portland and Albany - doubt very much.
For the A321LR - I suggest Halifax, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Montreal/Ottawa.
Surely future A330 cities would be Dallas and Denver.
 
mast2407
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:15 am

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:20 pm

Qatar Airways A332 A7-ACH has arrived in Dublin this morning for transfer over to EI. Will become EI-GEY when it starts flying for EI.
 
Galwayman
Posts: 704
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:28 pm

Those racoon eyes in the A321LR are really bad, they’ve got to be looking at a new livery by the time they’re introduced ..
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23424
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:45 pm

The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) has started the construction of an 86.9m air traffic control tower at Dublin Airport.

The tower, which it says is required to facilitate parallel runway operations by 2021, will be one of the tallest structures on the island.

Although surpassing Belfast's 85m Obel Tower as Ireland's tallest building, it won't scale the heights of several transmitters, power station chimneys and cathedral towers on the island - including Dublin's Pigeon House Towers and the cathedral spire of St. John's in Limerick.

The new facility will be full equipped for single runway operation during the first half of 2020, the IAA says, and will be ready to facilitate parallel runway operations by 2021 when the Northern parallel runway is introduced at Dublin Airport

www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-n ... 36687.html
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23424
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:42 am

HU 751 C 12JUL DUBEDI 0800 0910 TH
 
richcandy
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2001 4:49 pm

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:02 am

OA260 wrote:
HU 751 C 12JUL DUBEDI 0800 0910 TH


Have you booked this?
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 5265
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Irish 3/18: Snowploughs and Shamrocks

Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:31 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Those racoon eyes in the A321LR are really bad, they’ve got to be looking at a new livery by the time they’re introduced ..

It works on the A350 thanks to the unique nose design but even then it's mainly on liveries with white around the cockpit so the "racoon eyes" stand out. Looks a little awkward on the A330neo and just plain silly on the A321LR... maybe it'll look better in real life or maybe they'll be delivered with an entirely new livery?!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos