Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LTenEleven
Topic Author

Wizz Air announces massive Vienna expansion (5 aircraft, 27 routes)

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:53 am

Wizz Air have announced major expansation in Vienne with the base to grow to 5 aircraft by March 2019 (4 A321s, 1 A320):

27 routes will be operated, including the following justannounced:
Catania - 3 weekly
Kharkiv - 3 weekly
Lisbon - 4 weekly
Madrid - daily
Malmo - 4 weekly
Milan - daily
Nice - 4 weekly
Reykjavik - 3 weekly
Stockholm Skavsta - 4 weekly

--

Previously announced routes:

From April:
Gdansk
Tuzla
Varna

From May:
Cluj

From June (start of the base):
Roma Fiumicino
Tel-Aviv (
Bari
Malta
Valencia

From November:
Dortmund
Larnaca
Billund
Bergen
Ohrid
Nis
Tenerife
Kutaisi
Skopje
Last edited by SQ22 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo fixed and title updated

Blerg

Re: Wizz Air Massive Vienna Expansation (5 aircraft, 27 routes)

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:05 am

Fantastic news. Austrian Airlines is one of the most overrated airlines in Europe. Horrible onboard service coupled with some of the rudest cabin crew in the wider European area.

Wizz Air will directly compete with Austrian Airlines on the following routes: LCA, TLV, FCO (EW), MAD (EW), VAR, NCE and MXP.

Will be interesting to see how OS reacts to all this.

p.s. From what I know Wizz Air won't be launching VIE-SKP, they are sticking to their four weekly BTS-SKP.

Embajador3

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:47 am

Great news, Wizzair will bring down the airfares lower between MAD and VIE!
Flying Together

mickster

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:54 am

Blerg wrote:
Austrian Airlines is one of the most overrated airlines in Europe. Horrible onboard service coupled with some of the rudest cabin crew in the wider European area.

Would you please substantiate that claim? From a personal experience point of view, I fly OS on around 50 round trips per year (a number that is large enough to be representative) and I have never experienced any of the above.

The only flight where I see OS struggling is VAR, as for reasons I have never been able to grasp their prices are insanely high. Otherwise, OS has contracts with various tour agencies to carry passengers on the holiday routes (e.g. LCA, TLV, NCE and also VAR) - an advantage that W6 will never have. For FCO and MAD EW offers a great combination between service and price, W6 will be the one struggling in my view.

Blerg

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:57 am

mickster wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Austrian Airlines is one of the most overrated airlines in Europe. Horrible onboard service coupled with some of the rudest cabin crew in the wider European area.

Would you please substantiate that claim? From a personal experience point of view, I fly OS on around 50 round trips per year (a number that is large enough to be representative) and I have never experienced any of the above.

The only flight where I see OS struggling is VAR, as for reasons I have never been able to grasp their prices are insanely high. Otherwise, OS has contracts with various tour agencies to carry passengers on the holiday routes (e.g. LCA, TLV, NCE and also VAR) - an advantage that W6 will never have. For FCO and MAD EW offers a great combination between service and price, W6 will be the one struggling in my view.

The company I work for has offices in Vienna so I am there at least twice a month. Compared to Lufthansa (and other airlines in Europe) they don't smile, are rude and it feels as if they hate the fact they are there.

Fact is that Austrian might have contracts for these routes but they also had a monopoly meaning that all those who traveled on their own had to pay crazy high fares, especially to LCA and TLV. OS might keep their contracts but the fact remains that they will lose a large share of other passengers. Take Copenhagen as an example. Wizz Air already sells €89 return fares to Malmo while Austrian Airlines' cheapest fare to CPH is €150.

mickster

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:31 am

I have no experience with TLV, but fares to LCA are far from being "crazy". I am actually flying OS to LCA in September and they had the best fare-time offer (other than LO, which arrive and depart at the insanely time of 2am ...). I am actually still quite puzzled why W6 are starting this route only in November, when the active season is over. The other important aspect for me is that OS flies to LCA 2x daily, as compared to W6 few weekly flights.

Otherwise, I would not compare CPH and MMX, as they target different travelling audiences. Personally, if I want to fly to CPH, I would not bother with MMX, even if the price is somewhat cheaper. And again - OS flies to CPH up to 4x daily against W6 with 4x per week - connectivity matters, at least for me.

dfpinto

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:34 am

This is great news for Austrians, Western Slovaks and South Moravians!

Also, it always puzzled me why TAP Air Portugal would fly almost every day a packed A332 between VIE-LIS and no other airline would dare to enter the route.

lightsaber

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:47 am

What are the constraints to Wizz at Vienna? How is gate availability?
I cannot wait to get vaccinated to live again! Warning: I simulated that it takes 50%+ vaccinated to protect the vaccinated and 75%+ vaccinated to protect the vac-hesitant.

eicvd

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:49 am

Still think Wizz are missing a trick by not venturing into the DUB market with a VIE route, the EI monopoly continues.
COYBIB

Blerg

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:55 am

mickster wrote:
I have no experience with TLV, but fares to LCA are far from being "crazy". I am actually flying OS to LCA in September and they had the best fare-time offer (other than LO, which arrive and depart at the insanely time of 2am ...). I am actually still quite puzzled why W6 are starting this route only in November, when the active season is over. The other important aspect for me is that OS flies to LCA 2x daily, as compared to W6 few weekly flights.

Otherwise, I would not compare CPH and MMX, as they target different travelling audiences. Personally, if I want to fly to CPH, I would not bother with MMX, even if the price is somewhat cheaper. And again - OS flies to CPH up to 4x daily against W6 with 4x per week - connectivity matters, at least for me.

Austrian's ticket prices to LCA for O&D passengers are crazy. A few months ago they had a promo for €270.

November makes perfect sense as that's when retired Austrians head to Cyprus to warm up. A lot of them have bought houses around Larnaca and Paphos. On top of that, there are roughly 7.000 Slovaks in Cyprus and they reach Slovakia either through BUD or VIE. Slovaks will play a key role in making VIE-LCA work for Wizz Air.

Maybe you or me need convenient schedules but the fact is most people don't. Those people will fly from Vienna to Dortmund or Malmo. Until now they were forced to fly on Austrian Airlines or their fellow Star Alliance carriers because there were no other non-stop options. Like I said, MMX and DTM might not kill OS in CPH or DUS but they will surely affect their loads and yields.

cyba

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:40 pm

Personally I like W6 and are my go-to LCC. And I also like OS and always think of them as a quality airline. But while OS's flights to LCA, TLV, VAR etc. do perhaps serve the O&D market, a large part of their business model is transferring passengers through their VIE hub. W6 is not able or interested in doing that. Plus, I wonder if it's Niki's demise that creates an opportunity for W6, not OS's fares.

SRQKEF

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:48 pm

Blerg wrote:
Fantastic news. Austrian Airlines is one of the most overrated airlines in Europe. Horrible onboard service coupled with some of the rudest cabin crew in the wider European area.

Wizz Air will directly compete with Austrian Airlines on the following routes: LCA, TLV, FCO (EW), MAD (EW), VAR, NCE and MXP.

Will be interesting to see how OS reacts to all this.

p.s. From what I know Wizz Air won't be launching VIE-SKP, they are sticking to their four weekly BTS-SKP.

OS also operate VIE-KEF, albeit only seasonally.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

TP001

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:54 pm

dfpinto wrote:
Also, it always puzzled me why TAP Air Portugal would fly almost every day a packed A332 between VIE-LIS and no other airline would dare to enter the route.

Many of these flights from TAP are booked by travel agencies in Portugal. Also, don't forget the flights from Brazil and Africa that can feed Vienna's flight.

Eindhoven

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:17 pm

VIE-EIN is still missing. :( Sad to see EIN has almost no connections to this part of the world. Only HV to SZG but that's a long way from VIE. I think VIE-EIN on W6 or BTS-EIN on FR would work.

SCQ83

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:38 pm

mickster wrote:

This is pure wishful thinking. The ones struggling will be OS and EW. With their new baggage policy, I don't see any difference between Wizz and Eurowings.

Wizzair (like Ryanair) stimulate markets a lot on low fares. Vienna is a major tourism destination so they can get more tourists from those places (Spain, Italy, Israel, France, Cyprus...).

Blerg

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:54 pm

cyba wrote:
Personally I like W6 and are my go-to LCC. And I also like OS and always think of them as a quality airline. But while OS's flights to LCA, TLV, VAR etc. do perhaps serve the O&D market, a large part of their business model is transferring passengers through their VIE hub. W6 is not able or interested in doing that. Plus, I wonder if it's Niki's demise that creates an opportunity for W6, not OS's fares.

Niki was a glorified charter airline, they sold their seats to tour agencies, something Wizz Air won't really do- at least those are not their primary customers. Wizz Air is after the O&D market heading to Vienna, the rest of Austria and western Slovakia/Hungary.

Austrian might be relying on transfer passengers but don't forget that ever since Cyprus Airways and SkyEurope went bankrupt OS had, more or less, a monopoly on the Austria-Cyprus market. A large share of their seats were purchased by the O&D passengers for whom they'll have to compete with Wizz Air from now on. Those daily flights (in winter time) will be harder to fill.

On top of all that, Eurowings launched their own LCA flights so we might be experiencing overcapacity on this market. I wouldn't be surprised if OS completely withdraws from Cyprus and is replaced by Eurowings as is the case with Madrid or Rome.

LTenEleven
Topic Author

Re: Wizz Air announces massive Vienna expansion (5 aircraft, 27 routes)

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:27 am

It is interesting that despite the CEE economies performing extremely well, Wizz will be focussing almost 70% of their growth for the next year in Western Europe (5 aircraft in Vienna, 5 in Luton).

That is a pretty clear shift in strategy.

giapichino

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:40 am

Regarding VIE - MIL:
now that Niki/airberlin isn't flying the route VIE-LIN anymore the only flight left is OS from MXP and, starting June 1st , easyjet will begin operations from MXP too.

With Wizz also looking at the MXP-VIE traffic is there any chance of easyjet moving their flight to LIN? LIN is way easier to reach from downtown Milan (20-25 minutes by bus and soon with underground) and I guess there could be enough demand for a daily flight..
What are your thoughts?

Blerg

Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:18 am

giapichino wrote:
Regarding VIE - MIL:
now that Niki/airberlin isn't flying the route VIE-LIN anymore the only flight left is OS from MXP and, starting June 1st , easyjet will begin operations from MXP too.

With Wizz also looking at the MXP-VIE traffic is there any chance of easyjet moving their flight to LIN? LIN is way easier to reach from downtown Milan (20-25 minutes by bus and soon with underground) and I guess there could be enough demand for a daily flight..
What are your thoughts?

What's also interesting is that their flights will depart roughly the same time as Austrian Airlines':

Wizz Air

VIE-MXP 1-3-5-7
14.45-16.10 // 16.45-18.10

VIE-MXP -2-4-6-
13.40-15.05 // 15.40-17.05

OS has 27 weekly flights to Malpensa and these are the similar departures from VIE: 12.45 and 15.20.

PatrickZ80

Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:31 am

Blerg wrote:
Wizz Air is after the O&D market heading to Vienna, the rest of Austria and western Slovakia/Hungary.

That'll be tough with Ryanair already flying Bergamo - Bratislava. From Milan Bergamo is about as far as Malpensa so that doesn't make much difference and Bratislava isn't far from Vienna either and even better suited for Slovakia/Hungary.

On the other hand, if there's one airline that can succesfully compete with Ryanair it's Wizzair.

Blerg

Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:50 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Wizz Air is after the O&D market heading to Vienna, the rest of Austria and western Slovakia/Hungary.

That'll be tough with Ryanair already flying Bergamo - Bratislava. From Milan Bergamo is about as far as Malpensa so that doesn't make much difference and Bratislava isn't far from Vienna either and even better suited for Slovakia/Hungary.

On the other hand, if there's one airline that can succesfully compete with Ryanair it's Wizzair.

My comment was referring to the market from Cyprus, not from Milan.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:00 pm

Hope they will fly to GLA from VIE too. I bet there is no flights from VIE to Scotland.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

PatrickZ80

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:55 pm

SQ789 wrote:
Hope they will fly to GLA from VIE too. I bet there is no flights from VIE to Scotland.

Glasgow is indeed unserved, but EasyJet flies from Edinburgh to Vienna. So does Jet2, but only seasonal. On top of that, Ryanair flies Edinburgh - Bratislava.

mjoelnir

Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:00 pm

LTenEleven wrote:
It is interesting that despite the CEE economies performing extremely well, Wizz will be focussing almost 70% of their growth for the next year in Western Europe (5 aircraft in Vienna, 5 in Luton).

I think the definition of western Europe is a bit out dated. Vienna is in the middle of Europe, a good connection point to eastern Europe.

marcogr12

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:10 pm

LTenEleven wrote:
Wizz Air have announced major expansation in Vienne with the base to grow to 5 aircraft by March 2019 (4 A321s, 1 A320):

27 routes will be operated, including the following justannounced:
Catania - 3 weekly
Kharkiv - 3 weekly
Lisbon - 4 weekly
Madrid - daily
Malmo - 4 weekly
Milan - daily
Nice - 4 weekly
Reykjavik - 3 weekly
Stockholm Skavsta - 4 weekly

--

Previously announced routes:

From April:
Gdansk
Tuzla
Varna

From May:
Cluj

From June (start of the base):
Roma Fiumicino
Tel-Aviv (
Bari
Malta
Valencia

From November:
Dortmund
Larnaca
Billund
Bergen
Ohrid
Nis
Tenerife
Kutaisi
Skopje

One correction ..Wizzair will not be flying to SKP but to SKG-Thessaloniki..But who knows in the future with either a SKP-based plane or a VIE-one...
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

Blerg

Sat May 05, 2018 7:22 pm

Wizz Air also announced that from October they will be introducing daily flights from Kiev to Vienna. Another route where they will directly attack Austrian Airlines and its partner Ukraine International.

W66127 IEV1050 – 1150VIE 320 D
W66128 VIE1220 – 1515IEV 320 D

Blerg

Sat May 19, 2018 11:34 am

It has been almost a month since Wizz Air launched its first three VIE destinations: Gdansk, Tuzla and Varna.

So far they have been only competing with OS to VAR and I noticed that Austrian has sent relatively large aircraft there. The route is mostly operated by the A320 with an occasional E95. I guess loads must be relatively good.

A new round of expansion is less than a month away.

L410Turbolet

Sat May 19, 2018 11:56 am

LTenEleven wrote:

They don't have any strategy... unless that strategy is called " erratic, hit or miss opening or shutting down of bases/routes" or "go where the subsidies/incentives are higher".

a350lover

Sat May 19, 2018 12:07 pm

Malaga, Alicante or even Palma if they wanted to go face-to-face with Eurowings/Niki should happen at some point.

Blerg

Sat May 19, 2018 12:11 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
LTenEleven wrote:

They don't have any strategy... unless that strategy is called " erratic, hit or miss opening or shutting down of bases/routes" or "go where the subsidies/incentives are higher".

Or they simply had enough of much lower yields in the east and are trying to tap into the far more lucrative western European market.

IceAir778

Sat May 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Wow!
Wizzair has now a much bigger presence than EZY in KEF.

W6 is operating flight to KEF from:
- BUD
- RIX
- VNO
- KTW
- GDN
- POZ
- WAW
- WRO
- PRG (Stop service 13th of June)
- LTN
- VIE

eisenbach

Sat May 19, 2018 5:35 pm

lightsaber wrote:

VIE has at the moment no gate constrains. They are trying to fill their old terminal, since it was used mostly by Air Berlin. Last year the convinced LH to move the EW flights to the old terminal complex, as this would have had raised problems with the retail areas / shops.

I guess there might be just some slot constrains in the moring and maybe evening peak.
DC-6, DC9, Do228, Saab340, Twin-Otter, C212, Fokker50, AN24, MD90, MD83, EMB120, A380, A300, A343, A346, B721, B742, B744, B748...

Blerg

Sun May 20, 2018 6:15 am

eisenbach wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

VIE has at the moment no gate constrains. They are trying to fill their old terminal, since it was used mostly by Air Berlin. Last year the convinced LH to move the EW flights to the old terminal complex, as this would have had raised problems with the retail areas / shops.

I guess there might be just some slot constrains in the moring and maybe evening peak.

I fly quite often out of the old terminal when I am in Vienna for work and the only time I saw it get busy is in the evening when you have Korean, Qatar ... all flying at pretty much the same time. Other than that it's ok-ish.

By the way, does anyone know how many daily flights AB operated into VIE before going belly up?

Blerg

Sun May 20, 2018 8:11 am

Seems like there is trouble in paradise. Wizz Air has reduced Vienna-Tuzla from 4 to 3 weekly. All tickets in the next few months are selling for as low as €19.99 one way.

[email protected]

Sun May 20, 2018 9:34 am

Blerg wrote:
Seems like there is trouble in paradise. Wizz Air has reduced Vienna-Tuzla from 4 to 3 weekly. All tickets in the next few months are selling for as low as €19.99 one way.

A brand-new route. When I searched for 2 weeks' time, it was €60 one-way.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Blerg

Sun May 20, 2018 9:52 am

[email protected] wrote:
Blerg wrote:

A brand-new route. When I searched for 2 weeks' time, it was €60 one-way.

I don't see Tuzla working long-term. Distance is not great and diaspora loves to carry a lot of luggage with them hence why most will prefer a bus or to drive. Most bus companies don't charge you for luggage and those that do make you pay €10 but allow you to take as much as you want.

By the way, a few years ago Montenegro Airlines operated this route and failed while Austrian Airlines considered it at one point but decided against it.

eisenbach

Sun May 20, 2018 8:48 pm

Blerg wrote:

By the way, does anyone know how many daily flights AB operated into VIE before going belly up?

AB had about 3,5 Mio. PAX p.a. at VIE, which was about 15% of the overall PAX volume.

I didn't find figures about the AB movements, but overall VIE has about 225.000 movements, so if roughly less than 10% are AB, this would mean maybe approx. 25.000 movements.
DC-6, DC9, Do228, Saab340, Twin-Otter, C212, Fokker50, AN24, MD90, MD83, EMB120, A380, A300, A343, A346, B721, B742, B744, B748...

Blerg

Mon May 21, 2018 5:36 am

eisenbach wrote:
Blerg wrote:

AB had about 3,5 Mio. PAX p.a. at VIE, which was about 15% of the overall PAX volume.

I didn't find figures about the AB movements, but overall VIE has about 225.000 movements, so if roughly less than 10% are AB, this would mean maybe approx. 25.000 movements.

Thank you, that's quite a lot. I guess Wizz Air rushed to fill the void as you mentioned earlier. I still think the biggest loser here is Ryanair with its Bratislava base.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos