Zoedyn
Topic Author

Re: Beijing new airport thread (construction developments & discussions)

Fri May 04, 2018 2:30 pm

Latest aerial views of Beijing new airport under construction as captured from an overflying plane today
The 4 rwys (two parallel west ones, one in the east, one in the north) built for the first phase of the project, as well as the phoenix-shaped terminal, are easily discernible from the overall layout

SteelChair

Fri May 04, 2018 4:17 pm

While I am extremely impressed by this project, I feel that they made a mistake on the terminal.
Although visually impressive, the "finger" concept is not optimum IMHO. I stress IMHO. It creates "alleyways" that constrain surface traffic flow. IMHO a much more efficient design is the parallel mid-field terminal concept pioneered by ATL in the 80s. Then again, one must consider the huge O&D at Beijing, so I assume that is what they were trying to address with this huge landside terminal. In some of the drawings, they show "some" mid-field parallel terminals, so this design is perhaps a compromise given the huge size of the city.

Confuscius

Fri May 04, 2018 4:46 pm

Do Chinese airports ever name a "C" (center) runway for three parallel runways? PEK doesn't as well as PVG.
Ain't I a stinker?

PW100

Fri May 04, 2018 5:49 pm

SteelChair wrote:
It creates "alleyways" that constrain surface traffic flow.

Intrigued by your thoughts, but I don' think I fully follow. Can you elaborate a bit further on the constraints?
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

toxtethogrady

Fri May 04, 2018 6:05 pm

Zoedyn wrote:
PVG and LAX both have 5 rwys
ATL has plans to build a sixth rwy

LAX has five runways? News to most people...

HiJazzey

Fri May 04, 2018 6:50 pm

PW100 wrote:
SteelChair wrote:
It creates "alleyways" that constrain surface traffic flow.

Intrigued by your thoughts, but I don' think I fully follow. Can you elaborate a bit further on the constraints?

I think he means the wedge of apron bounded by 2 piers.

Steelchair,
The thing to consider is that these are not the narrow "alleyways" you see in older airports, where a plane pushing back can block access into the alleyway. They're much wider. A better way to see them, are as "U" or "V" shaped taxiways that loop inside the bay. Many tend to have 2 parallel tracks as well.

The toast rack design like you see in ATL is great for aircraft of movement, but not so much for passenger flow, that's why most new airport terminals are designed around the "double Y" design and its derivatives, seeing as it's good compromise.

SteelChair

Fri May 04, 2018 11:57 pm

Yes, I am referring to piers or fingers that create one way flows in or out. And yes, I will agree that this design has wider alleys than before (see AMS or LAX for example) that open up the flow somewhat.

Imho a clean sheet design should have surface landside traffic undergound (road and train) and airplanes should be able to taxi 360 degrees around the terminal buildings. They missed an opportunity imho.

As i say, I think they built this huge landside terminal i anticipation of huge O&D flows.

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Sat May 05, 2018 7:40 am

Why does the Beijing new airport have its main terminal designed as such? Ppl involved with the project had the following to explain in this interview with China News Weekly months ago 揭秘北京新机场:中国规模最大空地一体化交通枢纽Unveiling Beijing New Airport

北京新机场建设指挥部总工程师郭雁池:“北京新机场规划设计首先遵从的是目标导向和问题导向,也就是以机场功能定位及容量需求为目标。”最终形成的设计成果,是各种问题、矛盾平衡的结果。

Chief engineer in charge of the project Mr Guo Yanchi explained that the planning and design for the new airport was led by how the government positioned the airport (an international hub airport) and traffic demand it was expected to handle.
The final design was a result of compromise over various issues and problems that would conflict with each other.

北京建筑设计研究院设计师、北京新机场设计负责人王晓群:这个方案被选中,最根本的原因是方案中的放射状,“放射状是一个很基本的形态。机场规模增大后,停机位增多,又要控制旅客的步行距离,放射状可以解决这个问题。”

Mr Wang Xiaoqun, designer responsible for designing matters of the project, believed that the spoke design for the terminal was exactly the reason why it got chosen: it could address the issue of keeping check on walk distance for passengers while providing enough aprons for aircrafts. He also admitted that there have always been controversies over dispersed layout versus central layout in the industry of airports building

王晓群说,作为一个枢纽机场,中转是非常重要的功能,如果中转连接距离远,机场的枢纽运行效率会下降,“但旅客的步行距离只是一个衡量维度,而很难说是决定因素...除了旅客的视角,还有飞机和飞行员的视角,飞机的停靠、进出是否方便,都涉及机场的运行效率,都是航站楼构型要考虑的因素。

Mr Wang also said handling transit traffic is a very important role a hub airport has; efficiency would decrease if pax need to transit via a long walk at a hub.
Besides the perspective from pax convenience, pilots and ease of parking, entry/exit for aircrafts must be taken into account too when designing the configuration of an airport terminal

“我们在对原方案瘦身后,航站楼最终的绝对尺度依然很大。主楼的宽度是350米,停机港湾圆弧大而宽,便于飞机进出。”王晓群解释,这种设计下,整个新机场航站楼可以停79架多为大机型的飞机,三条指廊都是双侧停机,只有两条是单侧停机,还有很多组合机位,停机效率总体不错。

Mr Wang said the main building in the terminal is 350 meters wide, and the parking bay features a big and wide arc to facilitate entry/exit of aircrafts, allowing for 79 mostly big aircrafts to park simultaneously around the whole terminal

北京建筑设计研究院设计师马泷:目前的首都机场T3停机夹角是120度,飞机进出非常宽裕。而北京新机场,六条指廊之间的夹角均分为60度,是锐角,理论上说,肯定不如飞机直线排开更方便停靠和出发。但因为新机场建筑尺度足够大,所以绝对空间依然很大,能够形成开放性的大区域,也能够方便飞机的进出和停靠。

Ma Long, another designer in the project, said the intersectional angle btwn the 6 finger piers of the terminal averages 60 degrees, an acute angle. This is of course theoretically less convenient for aircrafts to park or exit by the terminal than in a straight-line scenario. However, because of the sheer scale of the new airport, the absolute space remains big enough to provide ease for aircrafts to enter, exit or park.

glbltrvlr

Sat May 05, 2018 3:09 pm

You can also see plenty of room to clone the terminal should they decide they need more gates in the future.

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Fri May 18, 2018 3:28 am

According to this report Date announced for opening of new Beijing airport, Beijing's new international airport will officially begin operations on Oct 1, 2019, authorities said on Wednesday. This is the first time a specific date has been given, as overall progress of the new airport fits with the original plan.

The timing chosen for the opening of the new airport is definitely significant, as Oct 1st, 2019 will also be the 70th anniversary of the PRC founding. The Chinese have a noted reputation of inaugurating big engineering projects in tandem with celebrations of a special, memorable political occasion. So, it can be safely said Beijing new airport qualifies as a national political tribute project or image project, the opening date of which can’t afford to be delayed by a single day, a single hour

The Civil Aviation Administration of China said on Tuesday that it will encourage airline companies to operate in the new airport and will provide full support for companies wanting to become international airlines, as more of such airlines will ease the international flight burden.

Given the renewed significance of the new airport following the field tour of the Chinese President, CAAC has apparently changed tunes

An artistic rendering of Beijing’s new airport in night view

c933103

Mon May 28, 2018 7:04 pm

I saw a report saying that it will have first "cross" runway in China but I don't think that's the case?
This is a placeholder.

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Wed May 30, 2018 5:45 pm

Latest high-definition aerial views of New Beijing Airport

Judging by the positioning of the landmark sprawling terminal, the photos were taken from a window on the right side of an aircraft overflying new Beijing airport from south to north

Credit to benchie @bbs.feeyo.com

lightsaber

Wed May 30, 2018 6:40 pm

Zoedyn wrote:
According to this report Date announced for opening of new Beijing airport, Beijing's new international airport will officially begin operations on Oct 1, 2019, authorities said on Wednesday. This is the first time a specific date has been given, as overall progress of the new airport fits with the original plan.

The timing chosen for the opening of the new airport is definitely significant, as Oct 1st, 2019 will also be the 70th anniversary of the PRC founding. The Chinese have a noted reputation of inaugurating big engineering projects in tandem with celebrations of a special, memorable political occasion. So, it can be safely said Beijing new airport qualifies as a national political tribute project or image project, the opening date of which can’t afford to be delayed by a single day, a single hour

The Civil Aviation Administration of China said on Tuesday that it will encourage airline companies to operate in the new airport and will provide full support for companies wanting to become international airlines, as more of such airlines will ease the international flight burden.

Given the renewed significance of the new airport following the field tour of the Chinese President, CAAC has apparently changed tunes

An artistic rendering of Beijing’s new airport in night view

Facinating to have a date. Just under a year after the new IST. Interesting!
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

zakuivcustom

Wed May 30, 2018 7:05 pm

c933103 wrote:
I saw a report saying that it will have first "cross" runway in China but I don't think that's the case?

I'm not aware of any other (commercial) airports in China that have a "cross" runway. Remember, most airports in China were single runway only for a long time, up until the past decade or so. pretty much all airports that add a new runway simply build a parallel one, as that's the "preferred" method to increase capacity (i.e. two or more parallel runways, with terminal area in the middle).

Jayafe

Wed May 30, 2018 8:11 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Facinating to have a date. Just under a year after the new IST. Interesting!

What does BER think about that? :rotfl:

jsnww81

Thu May 31, 2018 5:33 am

c933103 wrote:

The new second airport in Chengdu, still under construction, will also have a crosswind runway. Otherwise I don't believe there are any major airports in China with one... as pointed out in another post, most major airports were built from the late 1980s onward with a single runway. As traffic has grown, those airports either build a widely-spaced parallel runway (Hangzhou, Nanjing, Wuhan, Zhengzhou, Shenzhen and soon Haikou) or a closely-spaced parallel runway (Changsha, Chongqing, Shanghai Hongqiao, and soon Guiyang).

Cities that couldn't be expanded with new runways because of encroaching development (Qingdao, Xiamen, Dalian, Hohhot, Sanya) are getting completely new airports. The pace of passenger growth and airport construction in China is really something.

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:28 am

A few more recent aerial shots of New Beijing Airport

Also according to this recent Chinese report 京德高速2020年通车 德州直通北京新机场Beijing-Dezhou Expressway Is To Be Built, another new expressway will be built linking Beijing and Dezhou, which would allow the latter, a city in northwestern Shandong Province, direct fast road access to New Beijing Airport. The in-between section in Hebei Province is expected to be completed by 2020

Surely New Beijing Airport will be standing every chance of great success, with a vast densely-populated region in and around Beijing easily being its catchment area for passengers/freight backed by a massively well-developed multimodal transportation network

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:53 pm

High-definition shots of New Beijing Airport on May 31

Credit to dl42988 @gaoloumi.com

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:29 am

Aerial shots of New Beijing Airport taken through the window of an overflying B77W jet under Flight No. CA1416 for CTU-PEK on June 8, 2018

It should be noteworthy that, apart from the 4 apparently civilian runways, another military runway is taking shape (bottom right in first 2 pics)

Credit to zewang1996new @gaoloumi.com

Interesting to watch how the co-location of civilian and military rwys would impact the commercial operations of the new airport

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:07 pm

Though the opening date for the new airport of Beijing has been officially announced to be on Oct 1, 2019, people are yet to know how the new facility would be named officially, so to speak, as the Chinese authorities seem reluctant to let the cat out of the bag until the last minute

But it hasn't dampened the enthusiasm of Chinese netizens in making guesswork

There is already lots of speculation in that regard on Chinese forums, with many names and IATA codes suggested

An obvious opt is of course Daxing Airport, derived from the name of the district that hosts the new airport, which is also the norm for airport naming in China

Another name proposed is Yongding Airport, per the name of the famed River Yongding that flows near the new airport

Then there is the suggestion of Xiongan Airport according to the name of the newly established special economic zone Xiongan New Area 60 km south to the new airport

Some ppl also proposed the new airport be named after political leaders' names (ancient or contemporary)

Proposed IATA codes that may be available for use:
BDX, DXG, DXA (relating to Daxing)
BJS (Using the existing city code for Beijing, as in the case of SHA representing Shanghai's Hongqiao Airport)
NAY (Preserving the code of the current minor Nanyuan Airport, which would close once the new airport opens)

We'll see whether the official name and code would turn out to match with any of the above

Of course, if A.netters here have any suggestions, plz put them down here

KrustyTheKlown

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:47 pm

BDX is taken by Broadus (Montana), BJS is city code for Beijing so it isn't available. All other codes starting with BJ are taken.

DXG and DXA are available: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_by_IATA_code:_D

DXG would be my choice as DXA doesn't follow the spelling of Daxing and sounds like an off-brand DXB.

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:30 pm

KrustyTheKlown wrote:
BDX is taken by Broadus (Montana), BJS is city code for Beijing so it isn't available. All other codes starting with BJ are taken.

DXG and DXA are available: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_by_IATA_code:_D

DXG would be my choice as DXA doesn't follow the spelling of Daxing and sounds like an off-brand DXB.

DXG sounds nice

If DXA got chosen, DXB would look more like an off-brand

Anyway, guess the IATA code won’t get designated unless the official name for the new airport is nailed

LAXintl

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:40 pm

Opening day set.- September 30th, 2019

aviationweek.com/awincommercial/beijing-s-new-airport-open-sept-30-2019
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

UPlog

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:25 pm

Going to be a quite spectacular place (existing PEK is that already).

I hope for everyone's sake that China liberalizes its airspace use. The most modern concrete airports are not much help when airway capacity is often so constricted.

WPvsMW

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:10 am

Yes, WX delays due to blue skies.

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:59 am

As per the Chinese report (http://www.bj.xinhuanet.com/bjyw/2018-0 ... 162803.htm), the municipal gov’t of Beijing has been pouring tons of money and policy incentives onto a massive urban development project——establishing and developing Lize Business District, an area located in the southwest of the city proper which they hope would be transformed into what is described as the Chinese capital’s No. 2 Financial Street by modeling after London’s Canary Wharf

Thereby, an urban terminal complex would be built exactly in Lize Business District with express rail connectivity to the new Beijing Daxing Airport, with a mere 20 minutes ride away. When completed, the facility would allow passengers to go through a series of pre-boarding formalities like check-in, baggage drop-off, etc

This is of course great news to the new airport and all those airlines that would operate therein

Previously, the airport express rail that connects Daxing Airport to urban Beijing had been planned to terminate at a different locality called Caoqiao, which is further down south in an area with almost nothing to recommend itself economically

Now, with the hot new Lize Business District as the major transit point in town on the other end of the new airport express rail, premium traffic outlooks for Daxing Airport should get enhanced substantially

Separately, this Chinese report (http://www.atmb.net.cn/SecondContent.as ... 1D908EC125) says the Air Traffic Management Bureau of CAAC has lately held another special meeting to push forward preparations regarding the opening of the new airport

It was revealed at the meeting that a large-scale transfer of flights from PEK to Daxing would take place in Mar 2020, a timeline officials stressed the ATC units couldn’t afford to miss due to the national significance attached to the new airport by the Party and the paramount leader

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2 ... ects-video
In this video, Mr Gurney, Oneworld CEO, said new Beijing airport opens exciting prospects, and OW is in active talks with the Chinese for proper arrangement that wouldn't be "one size fits all"

I think he was suggesting, for OW carriers, some would move to Daxing while some would continue to stay at PEK

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:46 pm

China Southern’s multi-billion USD project of its Beijing Daxing base has entered a key phase of construction, making good smooth progress by far, as per this latest report 南航:北京新机场基地建设有序推进China Southern Making Good Progress in Construction of Its Beijing New Airport Base

It says that CZ’s operational and command center at Daxing, upon completion, would be the largest of its kind in Asia, bringing together SOC, HCC, MCC under one roof for the first time

CZ is also having Asia’s largest maintenance hangar built there, spanning 405 meters with a height of 40 meters, capable of simultaneously storing 2 A380s, 3 B777s, 3 narrowbodies

CZ’s catering center covering 66,000 sqm at Daxing would be capable of preparing 150,000 portions of in-flight food a day at peak times, making the facility also the largest of its kind in Asia

All this should come as no surprise: with the staggering scale of investments at the Daxing base, CZ is absolutely betting big on Daxing, which offers an once in a blue moon opportunity of profound significance for the carrier to implement its long-cherished Guangzhou-Beijing dual-hub strategy fully and successfully

An inside look of the terminal

The video clip in the link below features a wonderful bird’s eye view of Daxing Airport’s major terminal building in recent days
https://m.weibo.cn/5602011253/4258073532771604

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:06 am

Latest aerial views of the terminal this August
The iconic roof is getting colored now

Two interesting reads on competition among airlines as well as among hub airports due to the opening of Daxing

The article in this link 北京新机场将促东北亚枢纽竞争升级New Beijing Daxing Airport to fuel competition among Northeast Asian hubs points out that Daxing will further fuel competition among Northeast Asian hub airports, particularly among ICN, PVG within the SkyTeam

In this piece 博弈进行时:航空公司“抢飞”北京新老机场Aviation power play underway: Airlines rushing to fly to/from Beijing's airports old and new, an insider source from Air China in a rare revelation has expressed misgivings when it comes the pros and cons for CA to continue to stay at the current airport PEK by summarizing them as——“incredible short term, but terrible long term”

与东航、南航等天合联盟成员相比,星空联盟成员能够留守首都机场,短期内可以“放一百个心”。以国航为例,它将在占据T3最大份额的基础上,再承接一大份空闲资源,巩固在首都机场的枢纽地位。“国航一直定位于洲际性的枢纽航司,但长期受制于首都机场的时刻,这下终于有了大施拳脚的机会。”于占福说。
    但国航却对此尚有疑虑。国航一位内部人士在评价国航留守时,曾用过“短多长空”四个字,长期来看留在首都机场的利弊仍然存在变数。
    “新机场从规划建设的水平来说还是要比首都机场好很多,未来磨合好了运行效率和服务质量都会得到提升,而首都机场既有的问题都已经是已知的了,未来优化空间不大。”这位人士表示。
    客观上说,新机场和老机场各有千秋,也各有隐忧,把运力全部投放在一个机场,显然不是航空公司的最佳配置方式。

“The new Beijing airport is way better than the current Capital Airport in terms of planning and construction levels, and is going to get bolstered in its operational efficiency and service quality once it gets past the teething period of adjustment and streamlining. By contrast, PEK is troubled with issues and problems that have been long known, with no significant room for optimization in future”

If this insider source from CA is believable, does that mean that the CA leadership has somewhat admitted their regrets at giving up Daxing too soon too early years ago owing to their overweening arrogance or shortsightedness?

workhorse

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:14 pm

Zoedyn wrote:
Separately, this Chinese report (http://www.atmb.net.cn/SecondContent.as ... 1D908EC125) says the Air Traffic Management Bureau of CAAC has lately held another special meeting to push forward preparations regarding the opening of the new airport

This is an interesting subject. I wonder what they will do with the southwest landing pattern to PEK 36's (I mean the one where flights coming from Europe turn southeast at Huailai then turn east over Yancunzhen, bypass downtown Beijing by the south and then turn left to land on the 36s...). Looking at the disposition of Daxing's runways, this path will almost certainly enter in conflict with future traffic from the new airport.

Finn350

Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:45 pm

Here is a nice video of the new airport (animation):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zV5U-YGEWo

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:33 am

It’s known to all that Beijing’s new airport hasn’t been officially named by Chinese authorities yet, hence fueling much speculation on the Chinese internet of what the official name should be (See #Post 70 in this thread)

I was a bit surprised to read a post this morning on this Chinese SinaWeibo account (https://m.weibo.cn/1267037412/4283126925084734) that claims the official name intended for the new airport is actually and simply Beijing Daxing International Airport, a choice already nailed down by China’s paramount leader

The poster even extrapolated why Daxing got chosen: it sounds well in line with the paramount leader’s aesthetic sense with its readily auspicious associations

Assuming the post is believable, I have to say the name Daxing is an excellent choice, as 大兴 Daxing has the immediate connotations of being both “big, prosperous” to Chinese ears (Separately, 大 da means big, giant; 兴 xing means prosperous, booming. Combined, Daxing means “big prosperity” in Chinese), befitting the new airport’s scale and status as well as falling in compliance with the convention of naming an airport after the name of the place where it’s located

So, what would be its IATA code if the new airport really is officially named Beijing Daxing International Airport? I would certainly select the as-yet-unoccupied DXG as a good candidate

We’ll see whether all this holds true when the new airport opens on Sept 30 next year

Anyway, let's hope the Chinese authorities wouldn't give the new airport any bizarre name as some horrible political sycophants suggested. Daxing is already perfect enough!

moa999

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:16 am

Is there any update on whether the oneworld airlines will move, particularly those with codeshare a with MU and CZ ?

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:42 pm

The link here has a satellite video of the main terminal (presently undergoing works of fine decoration) filmed by Changguang Satellite Company on Sept 14

https://m.weibo.cn/5838191069/4285910873528738

At the construction site, there is this big board featuring a digital countdown timer, displaying the time to go in seconds, minutes, hours and days to the completion date of Beijing Daxing International Airport (set on June 30, 2019)

The 16 Chinese characters featuring 8 red-colored ones written mid-lower on the board say:
top-quality project, exemplary project, safe project, corruption-free project

Road and ground works in front of the Daxing Airport terminal for pickup/drop-off obviously appear to have been finished

Satellite image of Daxing Airport on Aug 23 (Credit to 我是[email protected])

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:48 am

Some snapshots of Daxing Airport up to date

Jet bridges have “grown” out of the fingers, and the enlivening colors that are patchily seen are starting to add a modern, stylish touch to the whole complex

Pics courtesy of [email protected]

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:14 am

A link to a gorgeous drone footage featuring an aerial view of the Daxing Airport terminal in the company of somewhat grisly music that triggers alien sci-fi associations
https://m.weibo.cn/1310639224/4294823424744171

As China Southern has just announced its decision to pull out of SkyTeam as of January 1, 2019, there will be no escaping the huge repercussions for Daxing Airport which had been previously intended as an ST hub by the Chinese authorities

As a matter of fact, I suspect that the opening of Daxing next fall in 2019 was THE catalyst and a KEY factor behind this momentous decision of CZ

No matter where CZ would go next (either to be non-aligned or to join OW), Daxing doubtless will no longer be a fully ST hub, but rather a hub equally split btwn ST carriers represented by MU and non-ST carriers spearheaded by CZ

CZ and MU, as Daxing’s major anchor tenants with a respective allocated 40% traffic volume at the new airport, will straighten out their awkward relations in the same alliance at last, presenting an excellent opportunity for the Oneworld alliance to step in and gain a solid foothold at Daxing even if OW didn’t bag CZ

In the case of CZ not joining OW for whatever reasons, a non-aligned CZ at Daxing that is outside any airline alliance will still be far more advantageous to OW than an aligned CZ that sticks to ST in which CZ only has the misfortune of being effectively marginalized by a de facto MU-included mini-alliance within ST itself

Leaving ST, CZ will have the free hands to carry out strategic cooperation with other carriers of strategic significance to its growth of the Daxing hub——a profound, irreplaceable part in CZ’s Guangzhou-Beijing dual hub strategy the carrier has been long persistently pursuing

OW carriers like AA can be said to be almost exactly such strategic partners CZ is looking for, as major OW carriers such as AA and BA, not coincidentally, are also eager to expand their relatively small presence in China as compared with their rivals

Thus it can be said the opening of Daxing represents a window of rare big opportunity where CZ and OW see their respective interests well converge

For Daxing, CZ’s pullout of ST should also be great news as it would only mean more and stiffer competition among airlines across alliances, generating in all likelihood dynamism and driving force necessary to the robust growth of the new mega-airport designed to accommodate 100M pax

I would like to offer my huge kudos to CZ for making this big crucial move with vision and courage for brighter prospects out of Daxing and beyond

Of course, I would be little surprised if CZ does join OW someday, making Daxing a half OW, half ST hub

Noshow

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:27 am

When you are done come to Berlin and finish BER airport please.

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:11 am

As noted by many, air space has been a notorious issue dragging the healthy development of Chinese aviation and airports

Yet given the scale and importance of Daxing, an image project for the Chinese government to celebrate 70th PRC anniversary next year, the Chinese aviation authorities are making active efforts in advance to ensure a good operational environment for the new airport from the perspective of air space, as the following reports illustrate

我国首条对外空中大通道今起启用:推进京津冀一体化协同发展
http://news.cctv.com/m/a/index.shtml?id ... zB6b181206

China has today launched a big-volume double tracking air corridor btwn PRC and South Korea, which will greatly enhance the east-bound connectivity of Daxing
by facilitating seamless connection for flights btwn ZBAD and Bohai Bay

沪哈空中大通道今日正式启用 优化北京大兴国际机场航路结构
https://news.sina.cn/2018-10-11/detail- ... l?from=wap

Earlier in October, China opened another domestic air corridor btwn Harbin and Shanghai, onto which are diverted a big portion of Northeast-Southeast flights that previously had to route over Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei. Hence creating favorable conditions for the opening of Daxing by mitigating mid-air traffic pressure and optimizing air space resources around Beijing

mafaky

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:34 am

Does anyone have firm knowledge about the current figures, as mentioned below:

1) The nominal pax handling capacity (inc. transfer pax),
2) Number of gates and number of jetways to be installed (some gates may be only for single aisle narrow bodies and will require only one jetway, some gates may have two jetways for docking a double aisle wide body, some other gates may be M.A.R.S types, where a wide body or two narrow bodies can dock),
3) Number of bus gates,
4) The total closed usable area (naturally comprising of several levels, not limited to only the pax usable area!) under the single roof construction,
5) The capacity of the parking lot (at the rear side of the terminal's main entrance).
6) Number of pax entry doors at Departures level (with possibly the same number of doors at the Arrivals level...)

And how many runways will be ready by the opening date? And how are these runways configured? (Single runway plus one or two taxiways, a main runway coupled with a second (but perhaps narrower) emergency runway plus taxiways...)

Thank you.
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

mafaky

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:39 pm

Istanbul new airport:
Terminal Building: 680,000 m2
Total area: 7,659 hectares
6 runways final stage

There's a mistake here: The terminal building is composed of the main central body and the 5 piers (not concourses, in that sense...) connected to this body. I don't really know the area they sit upon. But the total usable area (not necessarily the whole of pax usable area) in multiple floors total up to 1.400.000 m2 and this makes it the "biggest terminal yet built under a single roof".

The nominal annual pax handling capacity is 90 million pax, but this can be escalated (with a little bit of squeezing) to 110-120 million. There are 77 gates (to which a total of 143 jetways are attached; 4 of these are triple M.A.R.S. types to serve specifically a380s) plus 29 bus gates. One of this terminal's five piers will exclusively be for domestic flights. At the opening 2 totally independent asphalt runways were operational; one with 3.750mt*60mt and the other with 4.100mt*60mt; each boasting an additional 45mt emergency runway in addition to taxiways. A similarly designed third runway (3.750mt*60mt plus a 45mt wide emergency rwy) is under construction and will be probably be operational by mid-2020, if not a bit sooner.

As mentioned, when all phases are completed there will be 6 runways in total, 5 in N/S and one in E/W directions.
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

WPvsMW

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:53 pm

IMO, CX will veto CZ as a OW member. Moreover, MF (CZ's subsidary, Xiamen Airlines) remains in SkyTeam, and at Daxing. There is no precedent for a parent in one alliance and a large subsidary in a different alliance. MF's 10th anniversary in ST is 2021... so MF could allow its membership to lapse then, as CZ has done.

Another opinion. CZ is hedging its bets, keeping MF in ST for ST connecting traffic at Daxing, and keeping CZ non-aligned to play the codeshare game internationally.

Maybe QR and CZ will get cozy. Add a non-aligned N.Am. operator to the mix, et voila, a fourth alliance.

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:49 pm

Some latest pictorial updates on Daxing, whose terminal roof is all golden-colored now following completion of the roofing works

Aerial footage of the terminal when its roof was still grayish with a sci-fi touch
https://m.weibo.cn/3392181920/4317643835960853

Aerial view of ZBAD shot by a passenger from a plane overflying the site
https://m.weibo.cn/1239804802/4317539091670886

Confuscius

Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:37 pm

KrustyTheKlown wrote:

I don't think it applies in this case because HND is for both Tokyo-Haneda and Henderson Executive (Nevada, USA).
Ain't I a stinker?

KrustyTheKlown

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:23 pm

Confuscius wrote:
KrustyTheKlown wrote:

I don't think it applies in this case because HND is for both Tokyo-Haneda and Henderson Executive (Nevada, USA).

If you read the previous comments you'll see that I was referring to IATA codes. Henderson Executive airport's IATA code is HSH so there's no duplication.

B1168

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:33 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
IMO, CX will veto CZ as a OW member. Moreover, MF (CZ's subsidary, Xiamen Airlines) remains in SkyTeam, and at Daxing. There is no precedent for a parent in one alliance and a large subsidary in a different alliance. MF's 10th anniversary in ST is 2021... so MF could allow its membership to lapse then, as CZ has done.

Another opinion. CZ is hedging its bets, keeping MF in ST for ST connecting traffic at Daxing, and keeping CZ non-aligned to play the codeshare game internationally.

Maybe QR and CZ will get cozy. Add a non-aligned N.Am. operator to the mix, et voila, a fourth alliance.

CX might not really veto CZ. Dragonair has limited market space in mainland China and can’t grow a lot (tip of hat to HU), which essentially mean CX has to sustain itself by residents of Hk and transit traffic in the worst scenario. In this case... it is possible to try to combine HKG&CAN for their own goods. Again, anybody living in a tier 2 Chinese city can expect a bundle of international flights to major hubs, making Hong Kong redundant to them.
Hong Kong itself has lots of traffic, but never forget the mainland.

incitatus

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:56 pm

Zoedyn wrote:

What is the separated runway west of the airport?

The whole site looks amazing. I hope they use the opportunity of opening Daxing to do an update of PEK.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

WPvsMW

Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:23 pm

Military?
"It was stated that it would consist of 7 runways, 6 for civilian use and 1 for military purposes."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing_D ... al_Airport

moa999

Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:15 am

I'm not so sure on CX vetoing CZ if they do seem to enter oneworld.

Would still benefit CX by allowing it's FFers to earn on flights solely within mainland China

And I don't think CXs HKG really competes with CZs CAN as Origin and Destination - there is over 100km, a busy border and about 100m people in between.

The only real competition would be those transiting (eg. US to SEAsia), and if you've ever transited CAN it's no competition to HKG

Milesdependent

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:18 am

I’ve read the thread but can’t find a clear answer as to which airlines will use the new airport. Is it just some OW, all of ST and some others? Star will stay in the old airport.

chunhimlai

Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:01 am

incitatus wrote:
Zoedyn wrote:

What is the separated runway west of the airport?

The whole site looks amazing. I hope they use the opportunity of opening Daxing to do an update of PEK.

For military exclusively once Nanyuan close

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:05 pm

A lastest aerial view of ZBAD’s golden-roofed terminal
https://m.weibo.cn/1821797847/4320431978835446

Per CZ’s Weibo account (https://m.weibo.cn/1647687670/4316103981346785), roofing works were completed for China Southern’s home base projects at Daxing: maintenance hangar (biggest in Asia), operational and command center, catering center, cargo facility, apartments for employees working on rolling shifts

Milesdependent wrote:
I’ve read the thread but can’t find a clear answer as to which airlines will use the new airport. Is it just some OW, all of ST and some others? Star will stay in the old airport.

A State Council-approved official document issued by CAAC in 2016 made it explicit that SA airlines would stay at PEK and all ST members along with some non-aligned airlines would move to Beijing new airport, with no mention of OW members regarding their whereabouts at either airport as mainland China got no OW airlines up until now (See: http://news.sohu.com/20160728/n461437464.shtml)

Below is the list of Chinese carriers that would serve Daxing as mandated by the policy or in line with the policy spirit:

* China Southern Airlines (as a home hub carrier to handle 40% traffic volume of ZBAD)
* China Eastern Airlines (as the other home hub carrier to handle 40% traffic volume of ZBAD)
* China Postal Airlines
* China United Airlines
* Xiamen Airlines
* Shanghai Airlines
* OKay Airways
* Beijing Capital Airlines
* Hebei Airlines
* Spring Airlines (the biggest LCC in China)
* Juneyao Airlines
* Donghai Airlines
* Jiangxi Airlines
* Xiongan Airlines (CZ’s new subsidiary)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos