Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

787fan8
Topic Author

Philippine Airlines considering SEA

Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:47 pm

It looks like another international carrier could launch service to Seattle soon.

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... irbus.html
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate

SANFan

Re: Philippine Airlines considering SEA

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:32 pm

It's a subscription-only article but I can tell you that the subject of PR to SEA is being discussed in multiple-threads and I assume the referenced article is just some SEA-area catch up. Perhaps you could report what the article states, especially if there are any specific facts regarding such service being confirmed or announced...

(Other U.S. cities are also being considered and discussed. Check a couple of the other Philippine and PAL threads if you're interested in this subject.)

bb

787fan8
Topic Author

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:51 pm

SANFan wrote:
It's a subscription-only article but I can tell you that the subject of PR to SEA is being discussed in multiple-threads and I assume the referenced article is just some SEA-area catch up. Perhaps you could report what the article states, especially if there are any specific facts regarding such service being confirmed or announced...

(Other U.S. cities are also being considered and discussed. Check a couple of the other Philippine and PAL threads if you're interested in this subject.)

bb

Well, here are a few highlights from the article itself:

-Sheila Burrus, who is the executive director of the Filipino Community of Seattle community group, says that more than 115,000 Filipinos live in the greater Seattle region, and that the Puget Sound area would be very attractive for the airline

-In addition, Burrus also stated that Filipinos who come to visit relatives in Seattle have had to travel through YVR or LAX

-The airline would most likely launch the route with the Airbus A350, according to Seattle travel industry analyst Steve Danishek

-Danishek also stated that a group of Seattle-Tacoma International Airport executives are scheduled to travel to the capital of Manila later this month for talks with the country's flagship airline.

So for now, the route is just speculation. However, given the expansion of foreign carriers at SEA over the past few years, the large Filipino community in the Seattle area, and the fact that the airline will be receiving the A350 later this year, I wouldn't be shocked if we saw an announcement of service by the year's end or in 2019.
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate

SANFan

Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:04 pm

787fan8 wrote:
So for now, the route is just speculation. However, given the expansion of foreign carriers at SEA over the past few years, the large Filipino community in the Seattle area, and the fact that the airline will be receiving the A350 later this year, I wouldn't be shocked if we saw an announcement of service by the year's end or in 2019.

The key to the article:
So for now, the route is just speculation.

Again I would suggest checking on the ongoing discussions on other threads about what PAL is thinking and talking about regarding route expansion, particularly to the U.S. There is no doubt that Seattle is one of the possibilities.

bb

wedgetail737

Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:55 pm

PAL had been talking about serving SEA for a few years now. Originally, they anticipated serving both SEA and SAN on a big circle route...when they got an acceptable FAA certification. So I wonder if SAN is also a possibility.

SANFan

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:13 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
PAL had been talking about serving SEA for a few years now. Originally, they anticipated serving both SEA and SAN on a big circle route...when they got an acceptable FAA certification. So I wonder if SAN is also a possibility.

An "un"acceptable FAA rating...

According to posts on the other threads, yes, SAN is definitely under consideration, probably as a tag-on or, some think, maybe even a nonstop at some point. All kinds of cities are mentioned in discussions, but I would say SEA and SAN are perhaps mentioned more than most...

bb

Devilfish

Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:56 pm

787fan8 wrote:
-Sheila Burrus, who is the executive director of the Filipino Community of Seattle community group, says that more than 115,000 Filipinos live in the greater Seattle region, and that the Puget Sound area would be very attractive for the airline.

-The airline would most likely launch the route with the Airbus A350, according to Seattle travel industry analyst Steve Danishek.

Based on the above, I'd go out on a limb and issue my own 'fearless' forecast that PR would launch SEA with this..... :bigthumbsup: .....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVHZ2McWAAEojdE.jpg

source: Airbus Twitter
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

wedgetail737

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:31 pm

Will the A330-800 have the range? I haven't checked.

PlanesNTrains

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:01 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
Will the A330-800 have the range? I haven't checked.

At 5789nm, I wouldn't think it'd be a problem.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

SANFan

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:02 am

Devilfish wrote:
Based on the above, I'd go out on a limb and issue my own 'fearless' forecast that PR would launch SEA with this..... :bigthumbsup: .....

I just know you're a politician, Devil', or you certainly should be!

What a marvelously and carefully worded statement that doesn't really say anything! (You're much better than #45!) LOL!

But please do keep us on the west coast updated when anything is actually announced! (About, you know..... regardless of a/c to be used!)

bb

Devilfish

Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:00 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
Will the A330-800 have the range?

PlanesNTrains wrote:
At 5789nm, I wouldn't think it'd be a problem.

It is said that the A338 is good (@ 3 class) for 7500nm with full pax and baggage.....should be okay still even if we reduce that by 1000nm to account for airways and winter headwinds. Only problem would be if the Rollers quit enroute. :scared: Though there must be suitable emergency diversion airfields along the North Pacific within ETOPS range. :white:

SANFan wrote:
I just know you're a politician, Devil', or you certainly should be!

Am a terrible public speaker and a pauper so I don't qualify. And while it's often hard to tell politicians apart from my namesake, the latter owns up to his faults! :devil:

Seriously now...PR A359 to SEA may happen if either IAH or ORD wouldn't push through.

roadrunner165

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:36 pm

In 2014, Filipinos made up 52% of Alaska’s Asian and Pacific Islander population. Or about 30,000 people. Filipino Americans are the largest racial minority in the city of Anchorage, and also have large numbers in the Aleutians and Kodiak Island.

Every single one of these folks have to travel to Seattle, San Francisco’s or Los Angeles to go home. (We travel via Honolulu, but I think we really are the exception)

We all know that Filipinos are notorious price sensitive consumers, but I’d think that a majority of them would be willing to shell out a few extra bucks for a direct flight from Seattle as opposed to flying via Seoul etc etc.

LAX772LR

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:09 am

Devilfish wrote:
Only problem would be if the Rollers quit enroute. :scared: Though there must be suitable emergency diversion airfields along the North Pacific within ETOPS range.

How's that even remotely a "problem?"

There's plenty of diversion fields along MNL-SEA.
Airline could even do it with only ETOPS120, and still have plenty of options.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Devilfish

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:12 am

LAX772LR wrote:
How's that even remotely a "problem?"

Was alluding to the developmental nature of the T7000, issues with the T1000 it was derived from...and the tiny probability of an IFSD.

roadrunner165 wrote:
There's plenty of diversion fields along MNL-SEA.
Airline could even do it with only ETOPS120, and still have plenty of options.

There may be.....don't know about others but I tend to view making an emergency landing at ADK or SYA in the dead of winter a 'problem'..... :cold:

But now that HA has officially cancelled its A338 order, whom might the two frames reportedly beginning assembly go to :?: Perhaps Airbus could ask PR if they would want to 'adopt' the orphan pair :optimist:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MNL-ADD/AK ... B-LAX/SAD/

PR can use the A338 on some currently unserved cities. The 251T version could even do CEB-SFO or CEB-LAX per Airbus' projection...unsure with what payload though. :smile:

idp5601

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:27 am

Devilfish wrote:
PR can use the A338 on some currently unserved cities. The 251T version could even do CEB-SFO or CEB-LAX per Airbus' projection...unsure with what payload though. :smile:

Payload probably wouldn't be a problem if PR went with a relatively low-density three-class set-up.

And as for potential routes PAL could open up with the A338, since they can go further afield into Western Europe, flying to relatively lower-yielding places from MNL like MAD, BCN, TXL, MUC, VIE, ARN, CPH, and the like.

(This conversation about the NEO would probably be better held in the Philippine Aviation Thread, though).

SANFan

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:49 am

Devilfish wrote:

Hey [I/]Devil'[/I], do you by any chance mean "SAN" instead of "SAD"? Pul-eeeese, we need all the identity and help we can get, that includes not being mistaken for Safford, AZ!
LOL.

In any case, I'm glad to see you (at least TRY to) include San Diego on your map this time!

bb

Devilfish

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:14 am

SANFan wrote:
Hey [I/]Devil'[/I], do you by any chance mean "SAN" instead of "SAD"? Pul-eeeese, we need all the identity and help we can get, that includes not being mistaken for Safford, AZ!
LOL.

:laughing: Had to search what airport was SAD when it appeared. I was trying to show a potential CEB-SFO service with the A338 as stated in that post. Also tried to indicate IAH and MIA as substitute tag-ons to YVR but Great Circle foiled both my attempts. And before anyone points out that the jilted NEO cannot do MNL-ORD nonstop, it was there to signify the other likely A359 polar service apart from the existing 77W YYZ flight. The edit time lapsed before I could get them all correctly. :banghead:

SANFan wrote:
In any case, I'm glad to see you (at least TRY to) include San Diego on your map this time!

Sorry to disappoint but I wouldn't think of giving you fine folks false hopes over nothing. ;)