Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flydulles
Topic Author

Southwest schedule question

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:36 pm

Do you all think we will get Hawaii info in this next schedule release due march 8th?

lowfareair

Re: Southwest schedule question

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:47 pm

No, I expect cities to be announced with a generalized start date before routes and tickets are released for purchase.

LoftleidirDC8

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:50 pm

Probably not. They have still to complete the ETOPS certification process. They could technically publish the schedule based on the dates they expect to get the certification which may be a bit of a gamble. If they don't get ETOPS in time, they will have to refund huge amounts of tickets to HI and deal with massive bad press and passenger ill will.

SANFan

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:56 pm

I believe the latest report was start-up of HI service perhaps early 2019; the upcoming sked releases are still working their way thru this year.

I expect we'll hear about PAE's new service long before Hawaii...

bb

FA9295

Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:13 pm

SANFan wrote:
I believe the latest report was start-up of HI service perhaps early 2019; the upcoming sked releases are still working their way thru this year.

bb

I agree. PAE will come way before Hawaii (at least, the official announcements will). I did read somewhere that Southwest's CEO said that they may not be able to launch flights to Hawaii until 2019. I think it has to do with labor disputes/pilot contracts, and also that Southwest doesn't ever schedule red-eye flights.

Jshank83

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:49 pm

FA9295 wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

I agree. PAE will come way before Hawaii (at least, the official announcements will). I did read somewhere that Southwest's CEO said that they may not be able to launch flights to Hawaii until 2019. I think it has to do with labor disputes/pilot contracts, and also that Southwest doesn't ever schedule red-eye flights.

I don't think it is contract related. I have seen several people say the contracts shouldn't be a problem. Language is already written in or something.

SWApilotfarmer

Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:12 pm

FA9295 wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

Nothing to do with the pilots contract. Our new contract has ETOPS and red-eye language. The only group without a contract is the mechanics. Whether or not that holds anything up, no idea. Not sure when the ETOPS subset of pilots will start training but probably this fall. This is just a guess based on how things typically work but I can’t see Hawaii being part of a schedule release. It will be a stand alone announcement once we get much closer to ETOPS certification.

FriscoHeavy

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:03 pm

On March 8th when the new extended schedule is released, what date will it go to? I'm looking to book a flight the first half of November.

Thanks
Whatever

SWApilotfarmer

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:10 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
On March 8th when the new extended schedule is released, what date will it go to? I'm looking to book a flight the first half of November.

Thanks

The March 8th extension will put seats on sale through November 3, 2018.

Midwestindy

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:11 pm

Mods can we change this to make it the official Southwest Schedule Extension thread?
ORD & IND

AA & DL

Joshu

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:49 pm

How would the Max-8 perform? Wouldn't it barely make it there from LA?
Washington-Baltimore Spotters Group

SANFan

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:50 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Mods can we change this to make it the official Southwest Schedule Extension thread?

If that's the way we are going to go, let me start by predicting not much for this next extension. I don't even see why WN really even bothers with a 1 month extension for such an in-between, uneventful time (between fall and winter.) At least the following extension will include the End-of-DST schedule which will have lots of time changes.

Like the previous extension last month - barely 2 weeks ago -- I don't see much of anything of any consequence being revealed on March 8...

bb

Midwestindy

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:20 am

SANFan wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

If that's the way we are going to go, let me start by predicting not much for this next extension. I don't even see why WN really even bothers with a 1 month extension for such an in-between, uneventful time (between fall and winter.) At least the following extension will include the End-of-DST schedule which will have lots of time changes.

Like the previous extension last month - barely 2 weeks ago -- I don't see much of anything of any consequence being revealed on March 8...

bb

This one at least includes Fall break, which is a decent travel period especially to Florida
ORD & IND

AA & DL

BravoOne

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:42 am

Joshu wrote:

The MAX should have no problems betwen LAX and HNL. Where did you come up with that theory, Let me guess, the internet?

Surely you don't an ailine like SWA would buy an airplane without seriously evaluating all the possible route applications?

SteveXC500

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:50 am

Small extension, so I wouldn’t expect much

Midwestindy

Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:31 am

SteveXC500 wrote:
Small extension, so I wouldn’t expect much

Frequency changes, plus maybe 2-4 new routes is my guess
ORD & IND

AA & DL

Joshu

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:43 am

BravoOne wrote:
Joshu wrote:

The MAX should have no problems betwen LAX and HNL. Where did you come up with that theory, Let me guess, the internet?

Surely you don't an ailine like SWA would buy an airplane without seriously evaluating all the possible route applications?

Yo, chill out. It's not a theory but a question. It was genuine. Don't be so asinine.

barney captain

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:57 am

Joshu wrote:
BravoOne wrote:
Joshu wrote:

Yo, chill out. It's not a theory but a question. It was genuine. Don't be so asinine.

Since the NG's have been doing the West Coast to Hawaii for a few decades now, it should be obvious that the MAX will have no issues.
Southeast Of Disorder

evank516

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:19 pm

Joshu wrote:

To answer your question nicely, the MAX-8 should make it there with no issue. Not sure of the mileage difference between LA and Hawaii and Ireland/UK and NY, but the 737 MAX 8 makes regular trips across the pond to SWF from DUB and EDI.

Joshu

Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:32 pm

barney captain wrote:
Joshu wrote:
BravoOne wrote:

Since the NG's have been doing the West Coast to Hawaii for a few decades now, it should be obvious that the MAX will have no issues.

Wait, who is flying the NG to Hawaii?

jbpdx

Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:02 pm

Joshu wrote:
barney captain wrote:
Joshu wrote:

Alaska flies 737-800s PDX-HNL PDX-OGG PDX-KOA PDX-LIH.
^

BravoOne

Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:31 pm

What he said for starters. In the past several others like DL, SNA-HNL, as I recall.

Busyboy2

Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:34 pm

Joshu wrote:

It shouldn't be a problem. I flew a Max on a transcon and we only burned about half of the available fuel capacity. Slightly less than half actually. The Max 8 can go 8 hours easily with full tanks.

barney captain

Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:53 am

Joshu wrote:
barney captain wrote:
Joshu wrote:

Seriously?

DL, AS, UA, WS, AQ and soon SY and WN.

Who isn't flying NG's to Hawaii?
Southeast Of Disorder

Joshu

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:27 am

barney captain wrote:
Joshu wrote:
barney captain wrote:

Seriously?

DL, AS, UA, WS, AQ and soon SY and WN.

Who isn't flying NG's to Hawaii?

Whoa. Did not know that. Thanks!

INFINITI329

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:36 am

SWApilotfarmer wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

Nothing to do with the pilots contract. Our new contract has ETOPS and red-eye language. The only group without a contract is the mechanics. Whether or not that holds anything up, no idea. Not sure when the ETOPS subset of pilots will start training but probably this fall. This is just a guess based on how things typically work but I can’t see Hawaii being part of a schedule release. It will be a stand alone announcement once we get much closer to ETOPS certification.

Southwest is still getting its ducks in a row. They have some stuff to fix before any ETOPS certification will occur. (I am being purposely vague). Outside of any labor contract.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos