drdisque

Re: OAG Changes 3/4/2018:AA LPBMIA, ORDPSP Out, VVIMIA In; AM ATLMTY Out; AS PDXSTL, SFODEN Out; DL LGACHA, SLCCLE In

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:52 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
Via is adding AUS/BKG again for summer 2018. I don't know how much good will they have considering previous cancellations.

With Via losing a lot of their EAS flying and having a less ambitious plan for 2018 branson flying, hopefully they can better staff the flight this year. AUS will also likely become their largest base with the daily LIT, OKC, TUL, and TUS flights.

Rdh3e

Re: OAG Changes 3/4/2018:AA LPBMIA, ORDPSP Out, VVIMIA In; AM ATLMTY Out; AS PDXSTL, SFODEN Out; DL LGACHA, SLCCLE In

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:59 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
WN flies SFO-DEN and OAK-DEN 5x daily, SJC-DEN 4x.

Indeed there are no shortages of DEN-Bay Area choices.

Going off this Summer's schedule there are 33 daily round-trips:

SFO - 18X Total
- UA 12X
- WN 5X
- F9 1X (plus #2 less than daily)

SJC - 10X Total
- UA 5X
- WN 4X
- F9 1X

OAK
- WN 5X

RJNUT

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:05 pm

drdisque wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
Via is adding AUS/BKG again for summer 2018. I don't know how much good will they have considering previous cancellations.

With Via losing a lot of their EAS flying and having a less ambitious plan for 2018 branson flying, hopefully they can better staff the flight this year. AUS will also likely become their largest base with the daily LIT, OKC, TUL, and TUS flights.[/quote

I have been flight-tracking their Steamboat service this winter, Not doing too badly operationally although they seem to have trouble turning the plane even with an hour on the ground. The grounder service providers need tightening up.

enilria
Topic Author

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:57 pm

JRL3289 wrote:
enilria wrote:
FRANKLY, there is no way DAL is doing better than SFO. They just know they can't hold the gates at DAL if they shrink further. They should just sell DAL to DAL (Delta), getting out of the losses, getting some cash, and freeing up planes and pilots for other things.

Agreed. I really don't see the strategic benefit considering DAL down to just DL, WN and AS/VX now. If everyone else can serve the Metroplex via DFW, it seems a bit crazy to hold onto a landlocked and reportedly loss-making operation at DAL.

I think AS has fallen into the same strategic quagmire that has struck a lot of geographically challenged airlines. It's like FL adding MKE. They think it's worth losing money to expand their scope. Problem is that DAL can't grow and won't get much better as it is. So, what's the point of it?
G500Captain wrote:
Thanks a bunch enilria, I’ve been reading these pretty much since you started, but just recently joined. This type of stuff is up my alley.

Aww. Thanks
AirFiero wrote:
I don’t think any of us doubted that AS would build some kid of a hub at SFO, building on what VX had. I’m as mystified as anyone. Pleased, for my home airport SJCs sake, as they have kept building it as a focus city despite all predictions and assumptions that SJC would not get much more from AS.

SJC is a good strategy, but it made a lot more sense without buying VX.
n7371f wrote:
A real head scratcher. AS supposedly wants to be the airline of California. Dropping DEN an ominous sign, based on the importance of the market.

It's too early to overreact. But this won't quell the naysayers that AS Mgt is vastly underperforming.

Going into the time machine...I think another of my early comments was that they didn't need the distraction of the merger with the war for SEA raging with DL. That war has quieted which has given AS some relief until gates are built in SEA, but I think this is exactly what has happened. The merger kept their eye off their growing pilot apocalypse and now it's forcing them to pull a bunch of flights they probably didn't want to pull. Not saying management needs to be replaced, but I think the merger definitely took their eye off the ball at a critical time.
Rookie87 wrote:
Thank you Enilria!
:)
Don't know about OAK off the top of my head.
phxsanslcpdx wrote:
Those DAL gates still belong to AA, don't they? I'd assume that the sublease contract bars AS from selling them.

None of the "insiders" I talk to thinks they can't be sold, only that DOT would have to approve the sale. I think DL would be approved. Selling them to WN would not...hopefully.
wagz wrote:
Was AA PHL-JFK really meant to be 6x daily?

It was published like that for a month or two. At some point it can't be a mis-file. It's just a change of plan.
evank516 wrote:
*AA CLT-EYW JUN 3>1.2 JUL 3>1.0 AUG 3>1.0 SEP 3>1.0 OCT 3>1.0 NOV 3>1.0

Little curious as to why you found this one interesting? EYW typically sees a dip in demand during these months.

It's a big cut vs what was published. I understand the seasonality, but if AA didn't think it could handle 3 RTS in June I wonder why they were selling 3? Also, June in EYW is quite nice.

Dominion301

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:36 pm

evank516 wrote:

Little curious as to why you found this one interesting? EYW typically sees a dip in demand during these months.

So in other words was the CLT @ 3 and the DCA @ 0.9 instead of 0.3 (Sat/Sun) just false loads by AA that they had zero intention of flying? Can that almost be viewed as 'bait-and-switch' tactics with the 'switch' being a re-route for booked pax thru MIA?
Last edited by Dominion301 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

evank516

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:37 pm

enilria wrote:
JRL3289 wrote:
enilria wrote:

It's a big cut vs what was published. I understand the seasonality, but if AA didn't think it could handle 3 RTS in June I wonder why they were selling 3? Also, June in EYW is quite nice.

Definitely quite the cut, but pretty much the same as last year. I agree that June in EYW is nice, but for some reason AA doesn't see the need to keep CLT at 3x daily during the summer. It probably should be, but I guess they focus on routing everyone through MIA that time of year.

ctrabs0114

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:02 pm

AirFiero wrote:
Does WN fly SFO-DEN? Does F9? I’m pretty sure WN is flying SJC-DEN.

A quick check of schedules for next week shows the following:

WN flies SFO-DEN 4x/day on weekdays, 3x/day on weekends
WN flies SJC-DEN 3x/day weekdays and Sunday, 2x/day Saturdays

(For reference, WN flies OAK-DEN 5x/day weekdays, 3x/day Saturdays and 4x/day Sundays)

F9 flies 2x daily between SFO-DEN and 1x between SJC-DEN
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

cledaybuck

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:15 pm

enilria wrote:
Also, June in EYW is quite nice.
Yeah, but it is quite nice just about everywhere in the country in June, not so much in March.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

sassiciai

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:30 pm

In this thread, I am the very nieve European.with nieve questions

What is this thread all about, and what is its objective?

I recognize the thread starter, and generally respect his inputs. But here, I am unable to understand the interest in this!

The old mantra is that you can collect raw data; data can be converted by some analytic process to information, that can then be fed into knowledge-based decisions

Please help this old European to understand why this thread is of value!

apodino

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:44 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
yellowtail wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:
Thanks Enilria!

Seems AA wants to expand in Portland. The CLT has been a tad under 2 in summers past but the 2 extra ORD flights are new right?

Sad to see AA cut Bolivia (and subject it to the 7M8) but I suppose LA/LP Lima connections will Be available for those who need them. I wonder how much market share will be lost to Copa/Avianca over Panamá and Bogotá.

The are not cutting Bolivia. Seems the flight is being moved from La Paz (LPB) to Santa Cruz (VVI)

Am I correct that LPB cannot carry a full compliment of pax and cargo to MIA, which is why the VVI stop?

MIA-VVI is technically not new Enilra...it was always served as a MIA-LPB-VVI-MIA.

As for the other question, LPB is an airport that is at 14,000 feet MSL. Most airplanes dont perform well at that altitude. In fact, AA takes weight restrictions on the 757 just to get it to VVI. Also AA Pilots have to don Oxygen masks during the descent and keep them on for landing and takeoff. With no 757 replacement on the horizon, there is really no airplane that can peform out of LPB to get the kind of loads an AA flight would want, so this is actually a sound business decision by AA.

SonaSounds

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:22 pm

AirFiero wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

I wasn’t implying the dismantling of the SFO hub. At the time of the AS/VX merger, some people predicted a build up at SFO and the possibility that the SJC focus city status would suffer due to the SFO hub, that they wouldn’t continue building up SJC especially with the proximity to SFO. This doesn’t seem to be the trend. SJC continues to grow, and SFO has been losing flights. True, we can’t come to any final conclusions, but we *might* be seeing a trend. Doesn’t that seem possible?

SFO has been losing flights recently but I believe they’re still up on SJC since the merger. There was a lot of growth and now they’re dialing back in places, but they’re still significantly up from where they were two years ago at SFO.

SANfan recently posted the totals since the merger for SFO versus SJC. With this drop, the difference is down to +3 or 4 for SFO, I believe. Not a big spread.

If you compare Q2 2018 with Q2 2017, SFO is up 15.4% in flights and 11.5% in seats for a total of 2,205 new flights in Q2 and 250,000 more seats in Q2. SJC on the other hand is up 19.2% in flights and 14.4% in seats for a total of 1,080 new flight and 98,330 new seats for the same quarter. While percentage wise they may be closer AS/VX presence at SFO is nearly double what it is at SJC. Last year AS gave SFO a lot of love with starting service to ABQ, BNA, RDU, PHL, MSY, IND, BWI, KOA, MCI and only gave San Jose TUS, AUS, and LAX. Just because AS is dropping 2 routes at SFO I would it no way assume that is "dismantling" their hub. Just right sizing it as they are very limited on gates in T2 until they the move into the new BA-B in March 2020.

alasizon

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:28 pm

airtran737 wrote:
DFW-GRR goes from 3 down to 2 flights a day. The evening Dallas flight is usually packed. I wonder what the reason for cutting it is?

There is some aircraft availability issues in the second half of this year.

enilria wrote:
AA PHX-ABQ JUL 5>4 AUG 6>4 SEP 6>4 OCT 6>4 NOV 6>4
AA PHX-BOI JUL 3>4
AA PHX-BUR JUN 5>4 JUL 5>4 AUG 5>4 SEP 5>4 OCT 5>4 NOV 5>4
AA PHX-DFW JUN 11>12 JUL 10>12 AUG 11>12 SEP 11>12 OCT 11>12 NOV 11>12
AA PHX-DRO JUN 3>2 JUL 3>2.0 AUG 3>2 SEP 3>2 OCT 3>2 NOV 3>2
AA PHX-DTW JUN 3>2 JUL 3>2.0 AUG 4>2 SEP 4>2 OCT 4>2 NOV 4>2
AA PHX-EWR JUL 3>4 AUG 3>4 SEP 3>4 OCT 3>4 NOV 3>4
AA PHX-GEG JUN 1.2>2 JUL 1.0>2.0 AUG 1.0>2 SEP 1.0>2 OCT 1.0>2 NOV 1.0>2
AA PHX-IAH JUL 3>4
AA PHX-LBB JUN 1.8>1.0 JUL 2>1.0 AUG 2>1.0 SEP 2>1.0 OCT 2>1.0 NOV 2>1.0
AA PHX-LGB JUL 4>3 AUG 4>3 SEP 4>3 OCT 4>3 NOV 4>3
AA PHX-MAF JUN 1.8>1.0 JUL 2>1.0 AUG 2>1.0 SEP 2>1.0 OCT 2>1.0 NOV 2>1.0
AA PHX-MCI JUN 3>2 JUL 3>2.0 AUG 4>2 SEP 4>2 OCT 4>2 NOV 4>2
AA PHX-MCO JUL 2>3
AA PHX-MEM JUN 1.2>2 JUL 1.0>2.0 AUG 1.0>2 SEP 1.0>2 OCT 1.0>2 NOV 1.0>2
AA PHX-OAK JUL 3>4 AUG 3>4 SEP 3>4 OCT 3>4 NOV 3>4
AA PHX-PSP JUN 6>5 JUL 6>5 AUG 6>5 SEP 6>5 OCT 6>5 NOV 6>5
AA PHX-RNO JUL 3>4
AA PHX-SBP JUL 3>4 AUG 3>4 SEP 3>4 OCT 3>4 NOV 3>4
AA PHX-SFO JUL 4>5
AA PHX-STL JUN 3>2 JUL 3>1.9 AUG 4>2 SEP 4>2 OCT 4>2 NOV 4>2
AA PHX-STS JUN 1.8>1.0 JUL 2>1.0 AUG 2>1.0 SEP 2>1.0 OCT 2>1.0 NOV 2>1.0
*AA PHX-TUS JUN 8>7 JUL 8>6 AUG 9>6 SEP 9>6 OCT 9>6 NOV 9>6
AA PHX-YVR JUN 1.1>1.9 JUL 1.0>2 AUG 1.0>2 SEP 1.0>2 OCT 1.0>2 NOV 1.0>2

ABQ loses the 2nd overnight that leaves PHX late, it disappeared in Feb due to crew/aircraft availability
BOI just carries through the existing schedule, 3x CR9 and 1x Mainline
BUR/DFW/DTW/DRO/EWR/GEG all carries through what has been normal for a long time which shows as a reduction/increase but isn't.
IAH just carries through the existing schedule, 4x CR9
LBB cuts the PM flight that was added for Jan/Feb/Mar but was cut due to aircraft shortages. Not sure the market really supports 2x year-long.
LGB cuts back to the 3 Mainline slots AA has, looks like the commuter slot is being given back. Again, likely due to crew availability on YV (OO backfills for YV so no OO aircraft available)
MAF cuts the PM flight that was added in Jan, it was never really full
MCI/MEM/OAK/PSP/RNO are all carry throughs
SBP is a carry through of the recently reinstated fourth frequency
SFO is a carry through
STL is the same as it has been for a while, not sure why 4x ever shows as for sale.
STS is another victim of the crew/aircraft shortage
TUS is the oddball cut,it was just recently dropped to 7 flights (830A, 10A, 145P, 315P, 445P, 645P, 815P) by eliminating the last overnight for the summer. Not sure what the plan is with the drop to six unless the 10A is going to shift to a 320 (currently a 319 for the summer) coupled with the seats increase from DFW by going to all 738s, still a couple MDs in there.
YVR is an increase for Aug/Sept as it traditionally has not been 2x.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

AAtakeMeAway

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:38 pm

evank516 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
graham697 wrote:
AA's EYW cuts are pretty painful especially DCA-EYW. I hope this isn't a permanent realignment because the region has been bouncing back after the storm. Looks like I am moving over to Delta in the meantime.

Any chance this has to do with EYW’s runway expansion?

CLT/DCA-EYW see some cuts for the summer and fall months. These are most likely seasonal as they normally are and will return come mid to late December. Last summer CLT-EYW was down to 1x daily and DCA was Saturday only. Mind you CLT-EYW used to be completely seasonal back when US flew it (as was DCA). They didn't operate into EYW at all during the summer and fall.

Does anyone have an update on the rumored DFW-EYW nonstop?

ucdtim17

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:38 pm

SonaSounds wrote:
If you compare Q2 2018 with Q2 2017, SFO is up 15.4% in flights and 11.5% in seats for a total of 2,205 new flights in Q2 and 250,000 more seats in Q2. SJC on the other hand is up 19.2% in flights and 14.4% in seats for a total of 1,080 new flight and 98,330 new seats for the same quarter. While percentage wise they may be closer AS/VX presence at SFO is nearly double what it is at SJC. Last year AS gave SFO a lot of love with starting service to ABQ, BNA, RDU, PHL, MSY, IND, BWI, KOA, MCI and only gave San Jose TUS, AUS, and LAX. Just because AS is dropping 2 routes at SFO I would it no way assume that is "dismantling" their hub. Just right sizing it as they are very limited on gates in T2 until they the move into the new BA-B in March 2020.

Is there any reason to think this is gate constraint-related? They wouldn't have started new routes if they didn't have gates for the planes and obviously the preexisting routes had gates out of which to operate.

SonaSounds

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:44 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
SonaSounds wrote:

Is there any reason to think this is gate constraint-related? They wouldn't have started new routes if they didn't have gates for the planes and obviously the preexisting routes had gates out of which to operate.

Well AS moved (mostly) in to T2 with Virgin America and American after the merger was announced. Terminal 2 had 14 gates at the time with 2 over those being common-use. AS left there 3 gates at their peak in the IT and took over both common-use gates and worked in their overflow flights into the VX gates. The airport built them another gate (50A) to accommodate their increase and they also use the new bus gate in T2 for remote departures and arrivals. AS/VX is currently busting at the seams at SFO and has no more space to expand. I wouldn't say the drop in these routes is solely because of the gates, but it bet it was a factor. In 24 months AS will be moving into the new T1 where there are gates to expand to, but everyone will be trying to grab those extra gates at that time so I can see WN, B6, DL, AA, and AS all announcing expansion to lay claim to the new gates.

tphuang

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:53 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
SonaSounds wrote:

There is plenty of slack in the international terminal area where as is doing 5 daily flights. They can certainly add more flights there if they want. Or at least move all their international stuff there. They have 10 gates in t2 which are doing 83 flights today. With the cuts, they can certainly fit their entire operation in t2. I guess it really depends on your definition of gate constrained.

chrisair

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:35 pm

SonaSounds wrote:
In 24 months AS will be moving into the new T1 where there are gates to expand to, but everyone will be trying to grab those extra gates at that time so I can see WN, B6, DL, AA, and AS all announcing expansion to lay claim to the new gates.

I thought AS was staying in T2 and AA was moving to T1 once it opened?

phxsanslcpdx

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:27 pm

enilria wrote:
phxsanslcpdx wrote:
Those DAL gates still belong to AA, don't they? I'd assume that the sublease contract bars AS from selling them.

None of the "insiders" I talk to thinks they can't be sold, only that DOT would have to approve the sale. I think DL would be approved. Selling them to WN would not...hopefully.

I went back and dug through the consent decrees and old coverage, and I think you're probably right that AA wasn't allowed to attach any stipulations. So I think AS can sell/sublet those slots with prior DOJ approval. Also I noted that the AA-US consent decree remains in effect until 2023... I previously posted an erroneous memory that it was only 5 years.

The AS-VX consent decree specifically forbids them from letting AA get control of them again... I'm not really sure, but I think that means that AS can't just walk away... they need to find a buyer that DOJ will approve (since walking away, the gates would revert back to AA as the primary leaseholder). Back in 2014, DOJ rejected both Delta and Southwest https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2014/12/27/no-5-on-our-top-10-stories-of-2014-virgin-america-wins-the-battle-over-dallas-love-field-gates. Now, of course, it's a different administration and a (slightly) different competitive environment, so maybe DOJ would sign off on a sale to Delta or Southwest, and maybe not. I'm not sure whether Delta would even be willing to buy those gates at any price, since it effectively would give Southwest full use of their 18 gates... there might be something to the idea that Delta's more interested in acting as a spoiler than in actually serving DAL.

So I'm thinking maybe AS is truly stuck at DAL until/unless they can find someone who DOJ will approve to take the gates off their hands. And WN might figure they're hard up, and so be unwilling to make a very high offer (say, LAX, SNA, SFO, or SEA gates in exchange). I'd imagine that AS folks are doing their best to convince Frontier or Allegiant to buy their DAL gates, but it's probably a tough sale to pitch.

legacyins

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:23 am

chrisair wrote:
SonaSounds wrote:
In 24 months AS will be moving into the new T1 where there are gates to expand to, but everyone will be trying to grab those extra gates at that time so I can see WN, B6, DL, AA, and AS all announcing expansion to lay claim to the new gates.

It is. According to SFO master plan and AS, they will be staying at T2 and AA will be moving to T1. AS also stated they will be building a new club lounge at T2.

N592NW

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:49 am

airtran737 wrote:
DFW-GRR goes from 3 down to 2 flights a day. The evening Dallas flight is usually packed. I wonder what the reason for cutting it is?

GRR to DFW is actually being upgraded to 2x Md80

wedgetail737

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:55 am

legacyins wrote:
chrisair wrote:
SonaSounds wrote:

It is. According to SFO master plan and AS, they will be staying at T2 and AA will be moving to T1. AS also stated they will be building a new club lounge at T2.

Does that mean AS will have ALL of T2 eventually?

us330

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:05 am

Slots at LGA and DCA are what is keeping Love Field around for Alaska.
FWIW, they have really decreased marketing in the DFW area--they eliminated a billboard that VA used for years that was perfectly situated to catch the eyeballs of all the drivers heading off the tollway into either the Downtown core or the Uptown area.

apodino wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
yellowtail wrote:

The are not cutting Bolivia. Seems the flight is being moved from La Paz (LPB) to Santa Cruz (VVI)

Am I correct that LPB cannot carry a full compliment of pax and cargo to MIA, which is why the VVI stop?

MIA-VVI is technically not new Enilra...it was always served as a MIA-LPB-VVI-MIA.

As for the other question, LPB is an airport that is at 14,000 feet MSL. Most airplanes dont perform well at that altitude. In fact, AA takes weight restrictions on the 757 just to get it to VVI. Also AA Pilots have to don Oxygen masks during the descent and keep them on for landing and takeoff. With no 757 replacement on the horizon, there is really no airplane that can peform out of LPB to get the kind of loads an AA flight would want, so this is actually a sound business decision by AA.

They haven't made money on the route for quite some time. Having a monopoly on the route doesn't guarantee success--and by eliminating LPB and potentially using the 7M8 instead, they have potentially freed up a 757 to operate a more lucrative transatlantic route.

tphuang

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:37 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
legacyins wrote:
chrisair wrote:

I remember reading somewhere that B6 is most likely moving in with AS.

AirFiero

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:33 am

SonaSounds wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:

SFO has been losing flights recently but I believe they’re still up on SJC since the merger. There was a lot of growth and now they’re dialing back in places, but they’re still significantly up from where they were two years ago at SFO.

SANfan recently posted the totals since the merger for SFO versus SJC. With this drop, the difference is down to +3 or 4 for SFO, I believe. Not a big spread.

Good and comprehensive data, thank you.

So it looks like number of destinations is pulling more even, but more flights and presumably larger aircraft at SFO. Possible gate constraints into 2020.

legacyins

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:38 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
legacyins wrote:
chrisair wrote:

It was the plan that VX would take over all of T2 when AA moves over to T1. I did not see any changes to this plan after AS took over VX and I would say the plan for AS to take over all of T2 is still in place.

knope2001

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:45 am

jetstream3399 wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
knope2001 wrote:
Thanks as always, enilria!

Apparent results of acute pilot availability issues.

What their schedule recently had for BE40 flying:
3 lines of PIT flying (2x ALB/MKE, BDL/SDF, IND/PVD)
1 line of MKE flying (2x CMH/OMA)
4th line of PIT flying returning March 7 (2x CVG/RIC)

In the past several weeks they posted pretty awful completion results trying to run four total lines of flying, especially routes out of PIT.

What the new schedule has for BE40 fling
2 lines of PIT flying (2x BDL, IND, SDF, 1x ALB, MKE)
1 line of MKE flying (2x CMH/OMA)

The E135 flying BUF-ALB has been running without issue and the PIT-MCI E135 coming later in March has not been delayed either.

No word on the start of the PIT-MEM-MCI route originally announced for late March, but when OneJet announces a date for something months out they often miss it. I do wonder if Countour (the airline operating flights for OneJet) winning the CEC-OAK route with E135 may put a crimp in plans to use an E135 for OneJet on PIT-MEM-MCI. But that's just my own speculation.

The big boys asked MEM to delay the closure of B/consolidation to A and C till after Spring Break season. That may have something to do with it. Noticed AA upping DFW, PHX, ORD and PHL while cutting a frequency to CLT from MEM. Wonder what the advance sales of F9's MEM/PHL flights are like. MEM O&D continues to climb posting a 6% gain in Jan 2018 over Jan 2017.

Knope, your assumption that crew availability has impacted OneJet's schedule of late is totally incorrect. The OneJet PIT operation is fully staffed. The cancellations have been driven by two factors, the first being that two of the BE40's are now due for engine overhauls that are not going to be performed due to the operation transitioning to the ERJ and the second being scheduled heavy checks on the remaining BE40's. Many of the cancels, though not all, have been planned well in advance and had availability zeroed out so as not to impact passengers.

While all of the aircraft are operated by Contour, the ERJ's used for Contour's MCN and CEC flying are totally separate from the aircraft managed for OneJet. Though I suppose in a pinch the aircraft from one operation could be used to back up the other, the aircraft are not shared resources and so CEC has no impact on PIT-MEM-MCI. There are no concrete plans for the CJ4 introduction, those too seem to have been abandoned in favor of the ERJ platform.

Thanks for the information jetstream3399. A few weeks back there were days when more lines of flying operated in the morning versus afternoon, or from one day to the next, which pointed toward crew. But I've no reason to doubt you on this, and it's always possible on top of an underlying aircraft shortage some other factor (a mechanical, a crew sick call, etc) were at play on a given day. A few Monda's back at the start of what turned out to be a rough week I think they ran the full morning schedule. I wonder if maybe they pulled in some other aircraft to cover -- Monday monring is reliably busy of course.

This being an aircraft issue (rather than crew) is somewhat more concerning in my opinion. Crew loss can come out of the blue, but engine overhauls and heavy checks are pretty predictable. It was only about a week ago they were selling CVG and RIC as returning the day after tomrrow. and the full 2x/day in all markets. It's true a good portion of their business books close-in, and with only 7 seats it's not like there were hundreds of displaced passengers to rebook/refund. But anecdotally I know a couple of buiness travelers here in MKE who have given up on them out of frustration. They're back to their Delta miles.

If they see E135's as the future that's fine. But it just doesn't inspire conficence in the customer base to announce things and then offer missed dates and radio silence. Certainly not every business traveler knows or cares about the details of things like people here do. But people who travel particular routes regularly do pay attention.

The other thing if they are moving toward an E135 future is that it changes the revenue and passenger equation -- and likely the routes that could "work". Can't help but wonder if they do move to an all E-135 fleet what of their system will stay and what won't.

Anyway thantks again for the information -- here's hoping things stabilize.

cledaybuck

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:52 am

sassiciai wrote:
In this thread, I am the very nieve European.with nieve questions

What is this thread all about, and what is its objective?

I recognize the thread starter, and generally respect his inputs. But here, I am unable to understand the interest in this!

The old mantra is that you can collect raw data; data can be converted by some analytic process to information, that can then be fed into knowledge-based decisions

Please help this old European to understand why this thread is of value!
It is interesting to track the changes that airlines make to their schedules. Sometimes you can even get a feel for airlines strategies or how a route or station is doing.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

ericm2031

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:32 am

Rookie87 wrote:
Thank you Enilria!

When did DFW-OAK start? I’m surprised and glad to see it’s at 2x daily now

Starts April 3rd and then a 2nd frequency has been added for September, a redeye. Must be doing well to start a 2nd frequency before it has even started and even in a slower month.

Rookie87

Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:12 am

ericm2031 wrote:
Rookie87 wrote:
Thank you Enilria!

When did DFW-OAK start? I’m surprised and glad to see it’s at 2x daily now

Starts April 3rd and then a 2nd frequency has been added for September, a redeye. Must be doing well to start a 2nd frequency before it has even started and even in a slower month.

Thank you ericm2031!
I was questioning whether it had even started yet and you confirmed it for me! I’m wondering now if one of the SFO-DFW frequencies went to the 2nd OAK frequency.

evank516

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:18 pm

AAtakeMeAway wrote:
evank516 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

Any chance this has to do with EYW’s runway expansion?

CLT/DCA-EYW see some cuts for the summer and fall months. These are most likely seasonal as they normally are and will return come mid to late December. Last summer CLT-EYW was down to 1x daily and DCA was Saturday only. Mind you CLT-EYW used to be completely seasonal back when US flew it (as was DCA). They didn't operate into EYW at all during the summer and fall.

In the schedule. Saturdays only from June through Sept.

phluser

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:01 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
Does WN fly SFO-DEN? Does F9? I’m pretty sure WN is flying SJC-DEN.

A quick check of schedules for next week shows the following:

WN flies SFO-DEN 4x/day on weekdays, 3x/day on weekends
WN flies SJC-DEN 3x/day weekdays and Sunday, 2x/day Saturdays

(For reference, WN flies OAK-DEN 5x/day weekdays, 3x/day Saturdays and 4x/day Sundays)

F9 flies 2x daily between SFO-DEN and 1x between SJC-DEN

WN has the largest market share in DEN-Bay Area, largely because of the contributions of the those OAK and SJC flights. DEN is indeed a top 10 O&D destination for the Bay Area. Also interesting, is that Dallas didn't make the top 10 list, but AS is dually tied into Dallas area with service of two airports - granted AS doesn't serve SFO from both DAL and DFW. In my opinion, airport distance between DAL and DFW isn't significant enough for a carrier of AS size and hubs at least 1000 miles away to be in both airports (DAL and DFW). With ride-shares like Uber/Lyft well covering the DFW area, cost of transport has dropped since when VX originally sought appeal with DAL.

phxsanslcpdx wrote:
So I'm thinking maybe AS is truly stuck at DAL until/unless they can find someone who DOJ will approve to take the gates off their hands. And WN might figure they're hard up, and so be unwilling to make a very high offer (say, LAX, SNA, SFO, or SEA gates in exchange). I'd imagine that AS folks are doing their best to convince Frontier or Allegiant to buy their DAL gates, but it's probably a tough sale to pitch.

Another option is AS consolidating it's DFW ops into DAL. Cut the extraneous (e.g. DCA and LGA) and focus and core service to the West, out of one airport, DFW or DAL but not both. I remember reading that VX got an uptick in performance from moving LAX/SFO-DFW to LAX/SFO-DAL. DAL also has lower operating costs than DFW, so there might be some good case to be in DAL over DFW, maybe even for SEA and PDX service. If one is returning on a DFW-SEA trip back home, 6:30am flight is DFW-SEA, 10:05am flight is DAL-SEA, 1:55pm is DFW-SEA, 3:00pm is DFW-SEA, then a DAL-SEA, then DFW-SEA. It'd seem to make more sense having all the flights from one airport, so if a business pax misses a flight but reaches the airport, he/she doesn't have to schlep to the other airport in town to catch the next flight.

AAtakeMeAway

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:52 pm

evank516 wrote:
AAtakeMeAway wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Well that's not very biz traveler friendly :(

evank516

Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:03 pm

AAtakeMeAway wrote:
evank516 wrote:
AAtakeMeAway wrote:

AA has expanded considerably at EYW over the last couple of years. It wasn't very long ago that they were only flying their ATRs from MIA on a daily basis. Once the ATRs were gone they changed to ERJ-140s, but around the time of the AA/US merger those ERJ-140s became E-175s and they took on EYW-CLT/DCA as well. Now they add DFW (AA's megahub) on Saturdays only. Why? Well most of the traffic to EYW can be funneled through MIA anyway. I bet if DFW is successful you will see more of it, but EYW isn't exactly geared towards business travelers anyway.

EYW in and of itself has seen amazing expansion in very recent times. DL added mainline to ATL when FL started their service, UA started flying from EWR and ORD (which is now year round by the way, albeit a reduced schedule in the summer and fall) and then the many Silver flights are around as well. For a relatively tiny airport with a very short runway, EYW is tiny yet very busy nowadays. There are times where planes will have to wait for parking due to lack of available space. This could also be due to the construction on the tarmac right now.

AAtakeMeAway

Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:17 pm

evank516 wrote:
AAtakeMeAway wrote:
evank516 wrote:

AA has expanded considerably at EYW over the last couple of years. It wasn't very long ago that they were only flying their ATRs from MIA on a daily basis. Once the ATRs were gone they changed to ERJ-140s, but around the time of the AA/US merger those ERJ-140s became E-175s and they took on EYW-CLT/DCA as well. Now they add DFW (AA's megahub) on Saturdays only. Why? Well most of the traffic to EYW can be funneled through MIA anyway. I bet if DFW is successful you will see more of it, but EYW isn't exactly geared towards business travelers anyway.

EYW in and of itself has seen amazing expansion in very recent times. DL added mainline to ATL when FL started their service, UA started flying from EWR and ORD (which is now year round by the way, albeit a reduced schedule in the summer and fall) and then the many Silver flights are around as well. For a relatively tiny airport with a very short runway, EYW is tiny yet very busy nowadays. There are times where planes will have to wait for parking due to lack of available space. This could also be due to the construction on the tarmac right now.

I'm all too aware of all of this. For selfish reasons, I hope this is successful and leads to daily year round service arriving EYW early afternoon with an ~hour turn back to DFW. I'm hopeful it will then continue to be successful with the leisure travelers and as such, an easy upgrade on a 175 :)
Oddly, EYW is the one place in the world that I travel to for business that I can't get to nonstop.

SonaSounds

Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:12 pm

legacyins wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
legacyins wrote:

It was the plan that VX would take over all of T2 when AA moves over to T1. I did not see any changes to this plan after AS took over VX and I would say the plan for AS to take over all of T2 is still in place.

That was the original plan before AS acquired VX. Now after the merger, AS/VX have agreed to move into T1 B to meet their growth goals as T2 will not have enough gates to provide them. Boarding Area B will have some swing gates for international arrivals (3 wide body/6 narrow body) and will house other domestic carriers such as B6, HA, etc. SO of the 24 narrow body gates 6 (3 wide body) for international, 10-12 to ASand 3 to B6 with a few common use gates left over. T2 which has 15 gates will keep AA and give the 2 gates they have in BA C to Delta (5+2 in T2) and likely SY (1), WN (4), and maybe AC or United needing more gates.

SFO will look quite different next year when the first phase of T1 B opens up in July 2019.

legacyins

Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:23 pm

SonaSounds wrote:
legacyins wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

That was the original plan before AS acquired VX. Now after the merger, AS/VX have agreed to move into T1 B to meet their growth goals as T2 will not have enough gates to provide them. Boarding Area B will have some swing gates for international arrivals (3 wide body/6 narrow body) and will house other domestic carriers such as B6, HA, etc. SO of the 24 narrow body gates 6 (3 wide body) for international, 10-12 to ASand 3 to B6 with a few common use gates left over. T2 which has 15 gates will keep AA and give the 2 gates they have in BA C to Delta (5+2 in T2) and likely SY (1), WN (4), and maybe AC or United needing more gates.

SFO will look quite different next year when the first phase of T1 B opens up in July 2019.

Like I said, I have not heard of any changes. I spoke to a SFO duty manager last night and he and the airport are still under the belief AS will stay in T2. I guess one sign is if AS follows through with their new lounge at T2. It is to be built in the area of the old Tower footprint.

SonaSounds

Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:24 pm

legacyins wrote:
SonaSounds wrote:
legacyins wrote:

Like I said, I have not heard of any changes. I spoke to a SFO duty manager last night and he and the airport are still under the belief AS will stay in T2. I guess one sign is if AS follows through with their new lounge at T2. It is to be built in the area of the old Tower footprint.

The airport duty managers are not involved in long-term planning and trust me, things have changed.

evank516

Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:37 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

So in other words was the CLT @ 3 and the DCA @ 0.9 instead of 0.3 (Sat/Sun) just false loads by AA that they had zero intention of flying? Can that almost be viewed as 'bait-and-switch' tactics with the 'switch' being a re-route for booked pax thru MIA?

It was probably a dummy schedule. In general CLT-EYW during these months is actually a net gain of 1 from a few years ago since this route only flew from November until about May.

tphuang

Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:30 pm

SonaSounds wrote:
legacyins wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

So 18 narrowbody gates + 3 widebody gates which can become 6 narrow body. I'd imagine the swing gates would have to be CUTE since AS would not want their gates to be used for international arrivals or by HA widebodies. 13 to 15 for AS/B6 and 3 to 5 + 3 swing gate at CUTE. Aside from HA, would some of the Mexican carriers like AM/Y4 that have been sharing INTL gates with AS/B6 also move to T1B?

SonaSounds

Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:53 pm

tphuang wrote:
SonaSounds wrote:
legacyins wrote:

Thanks for the info.

So 18 narrowbody gates + 3 widebody gates which can become 6 narrow body. I'd imagine the swing gates would have to be CUTE since AS would not want their gates to be used for international arrivals or by HA widebodies. 13 to 15 for AS/B6 and 3 to 5 + 3 swing gate at CUTE. Aside from HA, would some of the Mexican carriers like AM/Y4 that have been sharing INTL gates with AS/B6 also move to T1B?

Potentially. A2, A10, A12 are narrow body only gates (although A2 & A 10 can accept a B767 as well). A10 is being reconfigured to accept Group V aircraft by this winter. Since there will be two narrow body only gates in the IT-A, it will be likely Y4, AM, & 4O are all gated over there to maximize that space.

airtran737

Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:18 pm

N592NW wrote:
airtran737 wrote:

GRR to DFW is actually being upgraded to 2x Md80

I just saw that! A net gain is seats if a good thing. Now they need to make it 3 MD-80’s so my commute is easy.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos