Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyingColours

Re: American Airlines Philadelphia (PHL) Hub

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:51 pm

brian415 wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
I couldn’t say Asia because of QR.

Qatar would be known as "Near East", LOL!

Since it'd be relative to the US wouldn't be Far West and Furthest West? ;)

I noticed that AA have finally axed JFK-MAN for this year (with ORD-MAN finishing very early this year - mid September - but that is for another thread) so I would expect PHL-MAN to have a stronger load going forward. I must admit I've only done the route once (albeit the other way round) and noticed the A330 was full although that was mainly due to that day's JFK flight being cancelled which would imply a reasonably light load on the PHL flight..

As for PHL, we came in on AA734 which continued on to Las Vegas after clearing customs and changing aircraft which is fair enough, the downside was that despite our flight being the second one in they only had 2 counters open for non-US citizens (with 4-5 on for them) so we had to queue for well over an hour and then race across the airport to catch the connecting / continuing leg of our flight. It's put me off routing through there given how bad it is to connect and straying off topic a little, given how AA has pulled the plug on JFK and my preferred entry point of ORD It'll look like we will have to switch to DL/VS and ATL... A shame really as I did like PHL to an extent, I liked the bar areas and layout more than ORD, still, we shall see what happens.

Phil
FlyingColours

wn676

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:56 pm

brian415 wrote:
OB1504 wrote:
September11 wrote:
(Reply to Post #20 & Post #22)

PHL's present terminal and runway configuration are reaching full utilization alongside the fact that PHL remains the world's largest airport without an inground fueling system have led to congestion and flight delays.

Dear God. I’ve dispatched fueling for another AA hub and I can’t imagine trying to run it with tanker trucks alone.

Question: What would be required to retrofit an inground fueling system to an existing airport, while the airport is in full operation, without for instance shutting down an entire terminal while tarmac areas are dug up? Would it be like open-heart surgery?

I'm wondering if they need an entire new terminal that can help stage the retrofit shutdown of large swaths of gates, little by little? It would require playing musical chairs for a while?

If I’m not mistaken, PHL at one point did have a hydrant fuel system, but it was abandoned in place. I know of at least one airline that is in the process of reconfiguring their gates, not being bound by the constraint of hydrant pits anymore.

With an old system already in place, it may not be as bad as having to install a completely new hydrant fueling system. Although, I suppose it could have been abandoned because they did not want to do a large-scale replacement or retrofit of the existing infrastructure, in which case, that would probably be close to installing a new system anyway.

If you were to install a clean-sheet system, it would be very costly and disruptive. At an airport like PHL, the best way would probably be to do the work in phases, shutting down one or two gates at a time. You have to do a full-depth removal of the pavement and further excavation to provide sufficient cover for the piping. At a minimum I believe it’s around 4 feet. Assuming you go all the way from A-West to F, that’s around 18,000-20,000 linear feet of piping, plus pits and other structures, and of course all the pavement replacement and possible relocation of other utilities. So, no small feet, for sure, and would probably take a couple of years to complete.

wagz

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:04 pm

brian415 wrote:
Interestingly, Eagle is launching 6x daily JFK-PHL flights, and presumably, this would allow for two-stop connection itineraries (e.g. Origin -> JFK -> PHL -> Europe):
New York JFK – Philadelphia eff 03APR18 6x daily Envoy Air Embraer ERJ140

This is in addition to LGA-PHL frequencies on both mainline an Eagle.
[/quote]

In the latest OAG changes thread it was noted that the yet to be launched PHL-JFK is reducing to 1x daily. Can't recall exactly when, may have been June. I could have sworn when the press release came out they said it was only 1x daily but I could be wrong. No idea why they loaded it as 6x.

Also the latest OAG thread shows PHL-LGA going down to 2x daily in the summer. Quite a change from a few years ago when it was literally 20x daily.

aemoreira1981

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:14 pm

wagz wrote:
brian415 wrote:
Interestingly, Eagle is launching 6x daily JFK-PHL flights, and presumably, this would allow for two-stop connection itineraries (e.g. Origin -> JFK -> PHL -> Europe):

In the latest OAG changes thread it was noted that the yet to be launched PHL-JFK is reducing to 1x daily. Can't recall exactly when, may have been June. I could have sworn when the press release came out they said it was only 1x daily but I could be wrong. No idea why they loaded it as 6x.

Also the latest OAG thread shows PHL-LGA going down to 2x daily in the summer. Quite a change from a few years ago when it was literally 20x daily.[/quote]

American could literally bus people to PHL for those connections from Penn Station or the PABT...not unlike the China Airlines shuttle to JFK Airport to connect to/from Dynasty 12/11.

raylee67

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:51 pm

I really hope oneworld would consider opening NRT-PHL and HKG-PHL. Would be ideal with 788 by JL or AA for NRT, or A359 by CX or 788 by AA for HKG. This would go a long way to complete the hub.

brian415

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:59 pm

us330 wrote:
It's a function of slots more than anything. They know that they don't have the number of slots capable of competing with UA at EWR or DL at JFK, but since New York is such a huge corporate and premium heavy market, they've opted to go after high-value o&d traffic from New York to major corporate destinations, and to leave the connection heavy routes to PHL.

Yep, totally agree. You have hit the nail on the head.

us330 wrote:
I'm curious to see what happens with NRT. I think it's only a matter of time before JL or AA starts PHL-NRT, but the aircraft/airline chosen to start the route will be interesting to see. JL's 788s are more premium heavy (and have fewer seats) than AAs 788s, but AA has chosen to base most of it's 788 fleet in ORD for the near future.

You raise an interesting point. JL and AA are JV partners with disparate seating arrangements, of which the most notable is JL's 2+4+2 seating layout; 8-abreast gives it a feel as if in a class between AA's MCE and either carriers' premium economy. Does AA get grumpy at JL for not standardizing on 3+3+3? It can certainly affect passenger perception of seat value.

As for AA starting up PHL/NRT service, does it not exacerbate AA's aircraft "under-utilization" problem at NRT? Right now, AA has 1x NRT/ORD, 1x NRT/LAX, and 2x NRT/DFW. If AA had service to HNL or more West Coast flights, it could do some musical chairs at NRT to keep its 787s in the air for up to 21 hours a day, instead of just 12! (Of course, JL already has under-utilization problems at BOS, JFK, ORD, DFW, as these destinations are east of the US Mountain time zone which cannot get extra utilization).

For UA and DL, this problem is not as pronounced on the NRT side, because they have varied medium/long-haul services of 8 or 9 hours or less, that allows them to eke out a bit more utilization on some reasonable fraction of their frames.

flyboy7974

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:14 pm

OslPhlWasChi wrote:
flyboy7974 wrote:
Due to the Air Berlin collapse, lots of talk about Dusseldorf but that never materialized. Also that EDI is returning to PHL, but that’ll wait til next summer for now. As mentioned, terminal space will be maxed this summer with the use of PTV highly likely.

PHL MEX nonstop is in the plans ...........

Are you able to elaborate on source/confidence/details?

announced this afternoon, a dinner time departure westbound about 6pm, and I believe the return into philly is a 9am departure from mex

RainerBoeing777
Topic Author

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:44 am

American reduces its international capacity in PHL, major markets such as Munich (MUC) and Frankfurt (FRA) are lost. I feel that it is very bad to leave these markets. Lufthansa may respond to this exit from PHL to Germany, maybe LH will return the Boeing 747-400 on the FRA-PHL route or start PHL-MUC with the A333, another exit is Glasgow (GLA), new routes are added Edinburgh (EDI), Berlin (TXL), Bologna (BLQ) and Dubrovnik (DBV) , with 3 last names I feel that there are routes with greater potential to add such as Milan (MXP), Brussels (BRU) including Helsinki (HEL).

The European operations of American Airlines in the summer of 2019 are as follows:

Amsterdam (AMS) Boeing 767-300ER Daily
Dublin (DUB) Airbus A330-200 Daily
London (LHR) Airbus A330-300 2 Daily
Madrid (MAD) Airbus A330-200 Daily
Manchester (MAN) Airbus A330-300 Daily
Paris (CDG) Airbus A330-200 Daily
Rome (FCO) Airbus A330-300 Daily
Zurich (ZRH) Boeing 767-300ER Daily
-----------------
seasonal
Athens (ATH) Airbus A330-300 Daily
Barcelona (BCN) Airbus A330-200 Daily
Budapest (BUD) Boeing 767-300ER Daily
Lisbon (LIS) Boeing 767-300ER Daily
Prague (PRG) Boeing 767-300ER Daily
Shannon (SNN) Boeing 757-200 Daily
Venice (VCE) Airbus A330-300 Daily
New
Berlin (TXL) Boeing 767-300ER x4
Bologna (BLQ) Boeing 767-300ER x4
Dubrovnik (DBV) Boeing 767-300ER x3
Edimburg (EDI) Boeing 757-200 Daily

It is reduced from 19 daily flights to 18 daily flights with 4 weekly frequencies with respect to summer 2018. And of 9 flights throughout the year reduce to 8 with the loss of Munich (MUC).

flyboy7974

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:50 am

PRG will be an A332 next summer.

acentauri

Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:23 am

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
American reduces its international capacity in PHL, major markets such as Munich (MUC) and Frankfurt (FRA) are lost. I feel that it is very bad to leave these markets. Lufthansa may respond to this exit from PHL to Germany, maybe LH will return the Boeing 747-400 on the FRA-PHL route or start PHL-MUC with the A333, another exit is Glasgow (GLA).....

You can't be serious. Most cities would die for that many European destinations and you're complaining because 2 have been shifted to CLT and GLA is not even worth discussing as it's only served via super heavy tourist destinations (LAS, MCO and NYC). LH has already responded by replacing their PHL-FRA A340 Cityline (tourist configured) aircraft with the premium configured Mainline A333, starting next month. This shift may even be a mutual AA-LH agreement, since without Star connections the year round LH PHL flight will essentially be 100% O&D. Further, why, based on the 2018/2019 adds and the transfer of EDI and ZRH from JFK, would anyone assume AA is planning on anything but INCREASING PHL international capacity??

RainerBoeing777
Topic Author

Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:40 am

acentauri wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:
American reduces its international capacity in PHL, major markets such as Munich (MUC) and Frankfurt (FRA) are lost. I feel that it is very bad to leave these markets. Lufthansa may respond to this exit from PHL to Germany, maybe LH will return the Boeing 747-400 on the FRA-PHL route or start PHL-MUC with the A333, another exit is Glasgow (GLA).....

You can't be serious. Most cities would die for that many European destinations and you're complaining because 2 have been shifted to CLT and GLA is not even worth discussing as it's only served via super heavy tourist destinations (LAS, MCO and NYC). LH has already responded by replacing their PHL-FRA A340 Cityline (tourist configured) aircraft with the premium Mainline A333, starting next month. This shift may even be a mutual AA-LH agreement, since without Star connections the year round LH PHL flight will essentially be 100% O&D. Further, why, based on the 2018/2019 adds and the transfer of EDI and ZRH from JFK, would anyone assume AA is planning on anything but INCREASING PHL international capacity??

Only Munich (MUC) moved to Charlotte (CLT) and Frankfurt was eliminated, lately AA when it adds routes new routes eliminates many more, but the disaster that has with JFK being such an important airport has lost too much leadership, AA is very unstable in its international network, many routes with potential can never keep them, an example was JFK-ZRH the large number of premium passengers and the great demand AA was the weakest airline, after its departure Delta increased capacity and Swiss increased its load factors , and why eliminate GLA? many secondary cities in the UK are disinterested, then legacy airlines complain about the growth of low cost, then comes Norwegian launches LGW / BHX / GLA / EDI-PHL and is a success, even airlines like Delta and United are very strong in territories that are not of their alliance, but take advantage of the high demand of certain destinations

panam330

Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:13 am

acentauri wrote:
This shift may even be a mutual AA-LH agreement, since without Star connections the year round LH PHL flight will essentially be 100% O&D.

I should hope not, since that would be collusion. Also, LH has quite a large hub on the German side of the route - so it will be hardly reliant on O&D between PHL and FRA.

acentauri

Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:05 am

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
Only Munich (MUC) moved to Charlotte (CLT) and Frankfurt was eliminated......

Actually, the rationale was to "combine" PHL-FRA flows with CLT, since CLT has several supporting corporate contracts which support the flight.

PhilInBRN

Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:03 am

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
American reduces its international capacity in PHL, major markets such as Munich (MUC) and Frankfurt (FRA) are lost. I feel that it is very bad to leave these markets. Lufthansa may respond to this exit from PHL to Germany, maybe LH will return the Boeing 747-400 on the FRA-PHL route or start PHL-MUC with the A333, another exit is Glasgow (GLA), new routes are added Edinburgh (EDI), Berlin (TXL), Bologna (BLQ) and Dubrovnik (DBV) , with 3 last names I feel that there are routes with greater potential to add such as Milan (MXP), Brussels (BRU) including Helsinki (HEL).

The European operations of American Airlines in the summer of 2019 are as follows:

-----------------
seasonal
New

It is reduced from 19 daily flights to 18 daily flights with 4 weekly frequencies with respect to summer 2018. And of 9 flights throughout the year reduce to 8 with the loss of Munich (MUC).

Any indication as to when they will finally switch the ZRH flight to a more modern A332 or A333?
AA's on-board product is so outdated and sub-par (primarily in Y, but also in J class) compared to other east coast flights from Zurich, e.g. DL's A332 to JFK, LX's A333 to JFK/EWR/BOS/YUL/MIA, AC's 787 & 77W to YYZ and UA's 788 and 764 to IAD/EWR.

RainerBoeing777
Topic Author

Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:56 am

PhilInBRN wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:

-----------------
seasonal
New

Any indication as to when they will finally switch the ZRH flight to a more modern A332 or A333?
AA's on-board product is so outdated and sub-par (primarily in Y, but also in J class) compared to other east coast flights from Zurich, e.g. DL's A332 to JFK, LX's A333 to JFK/EWR/BOS/YUL/MIA, AC's 787 & 77W to YYZ and UA's 788 and 764 to IAD/EWR.

So far it is only rumored that Budapest will increase to A332

PHLspecial

Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:12 pm

So where is the A332 coming from? I thought the CLT-FRA route would get the A332

Flighty

Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:20 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
acentauri wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:

You can't be serious. Most cities would die for that many European destinations and you're complaining because 2 have been shifted to CLT and GLA is not even worth discussing as it's only served via super heavy tourist destinations (LAS, MCO and NYC). LH has already responded by replacing their PHL-FRA A340 Cityline (tourist configured) aircraft with the premium Mainline A333, starting next month. This shift may even be a mutual AA-LH agreement, since without Star connections the year round LH PHL flight will essentially be 100% O&D. Further, why, based on the 2018/2019 adds and the transfer of EDI and ZRH from JFK, would anyone assume AA is planning on anything but INCREASING PHL international capacity??

Only Munich (MUC) moved to Charlotte (CLT) and Frankfurt was eliminated, lately AA when it adds routes new routes eliminates many more, but the disaster that has with JFK being such an important airport has lost too much leadership, AA is very unstable in its international network, many routes with potential can never keep them, an example was JFK-ZRH the large number of premium passengers and the great demand AA was the weakest airline, after its departure Delta increased capacity and Swiss increased its load factors , and why eliminate GLA? many secondary cities in the UK are disinterested, then legacy airlines complain about the growth of low cost, then comes Norwegian launches LGW / BHX / GLA / EDI-PHL and is a success, even airlines like Delta and United are very strong in territories that are not of their alliance, but take advantage of the high demand of certain destinations

If JFK-ZRH were a well performing route, AA would fly it, even 5x per day if that is a good business plan. They have an extremely large fleet and clearly have the ability to do that.

What you're really arguing is, even though AA concluded that's a bad idea for its business, you know better. You know what a real commercial "disaster" at JFK would be? Flying hundreds of excellent flights and making people happy, while losing a ton of money. That's a disaster.

asuflyer

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:16 pm

Flighty wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:
acentauri wrote:

If JFK-ZRH were a well performing route, AA would fly it, even 5x per day if that is a good business plan. They have an extremely large fleet and clearly have the ability to do that.

What you're really arguing is, even though AA concluded that's a bad idea for its business, you know better. You know what a real commercial "disaster" at JFK would be? Flying hundreds of excellent flights and making people happy, while losing a ton of money. That's a disaster.

It performed well. AA lost the Credit Suisse and UBS corporate contracts, on JFK-ZRH to DL and LX due to an inferior product on the 763's. Fares nosedived and they switched the flight to PHL. It is part of why AA struggles in Germany as well.

usairways85

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:31 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
So where is the A332 coming from? I thought the CLT-FRA route would get the A332

PHL-MUC 332 going to CLT-MUC
CLT-FRA already exists
So there is a spare 332. I've only heard rumors of PHL-PRG and only on a.net

Bigant0408

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:39 pm

Once AA starts receiving the 787 starting in 2020 I feel that's when we will start to see real major international expansion from PHL. IMO I see AA adding seasonal NCE, MXP, AGP, and on smaller scale KEF within the next 2-3 years. For Asia service JL would be the best option for service as others have mentioned. Munich lost could be an opportunity for LH to add service on a seasonal basis but they could just look it as passengers can connect thru Frankfurt but would be cool if service was added.

UpNAWAy

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:46 pm

Adding seasonal flights now on the old B767s is a great way to test markets for potential growth to year round and upgraded aircraft in the future. It is a very sound strategy.
This arm chair CEO idea on ANET that everyone should fly to everywhere from everywhere if I was CEO is getting stale.

HPAEAA

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:47 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
Once AA starts receiving the 787 starting in 2020 I feel that's when we will start to see real major international expansion from PHL. IMO I see AA adding seasonal NCE, MXP, AGP, and on smaller scale KEF within the next 2-3 years. For Asia service JL would be the best option for service as others have mentioned. Munich lost could be an opportunity for LH to add service on a seasonal basis but they could just look it as passengers can connect thru Frankfurt but would be cool if service was added.

AA is currently forecasting a net decrease in the number of widebody frames between now and 2020, all of the frames on order currently are forcasted to be used for fleet renewal, any growth will have to come at the expense of existing routes. The only lever they would have at that point is to either keep the a333s in house longer or defer retirement of the early 772s.

Bigant0408

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:56 pm

HPAEAA wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

AA is currently forecasting a net decrease in the number of widebody frames between now and 2020, all of the frames on order currently are forcasted to be used for fleet renewal, any growth will have to come at the expense of existing routes. The only lever they would have at that point is to either keep the a333s in house longer or defer retirement of the early 772s.

You’re absolutely right it slipped my mind about the retirement of the 767, 333 and few 772 withing next few years. Seems like PHL then would need help from other OW partners by adding there services and as mentioned I can only picture JL adding service. Possibly Iberia but that’s it. Hope I’m wrong tho.

HPAEAA

Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:05 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
You’re absolutely right it slipped my mind about the retirement of the 767, 333 and few 772 withing next few years. Seems like PHL then would need help from other OW partners by adding there services and as mentioned I can only picture JL adding service. Possibly Iberia but that’s it. Hope I’m wrong tho.

Yeah, potentially the A321NEO could have been used for some growth on Western European routes however with the deferral announced in July I suspect that TATL growth may be on hold for a while unless they decide to cut APAC flying further.

I personally haven’t seen much on the A321NEO plans, does anyone know if that’s going to be the INTL 752 replacement or where in the network that plane will fit?

JetBlueCLT

Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:53 pm

With eliminating PHL-FRA entirely, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see CLT-FRA go on an A333 next summer. As noted above, CLT-FRA/MUC have numerous contracts which are beneficial. Although, LH has a grip on the lucrative BMW contract that helps support their CLT-MUC flight. Which I don’t see going anywhere. LH/AA serve different purposes on that flight.

Love the hometown airline, AA hasn’t crossed my mind when I travel to Europe lol! Unless Lufthansa is really inconvenient to where I’m going haha!

Have a good day!

JakubH

Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:24 am

flyboy7974 wrote:

When should that appear in booking systems? Is this because of a strong performance this year?

Also, I wonder if AA might consider flying to PRG from another hub on top of PHL soon.

JakubH

Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:25 pm

JakubH wrote:
flyboy7974 wrote:

Thanks for this, this is now reflected in booking systems. A welcome upgrade on this route! Now to go all-year-round and maybe add LAX-PRG on a 788 :)

RainerBoeing777
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:59 pm

The outgoing MUC and FRA from PHL saw it as a very bad AA strategy. Now Lufthansa will ship the Boeing 747-400 to PHL and increase the CLT with Airbus A350-900XWB. I already imagine that for the summer of 2020 they will launch PHL-MUC. I do not understand why AA cuts such important routes

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/280949/lufthansa-s19-long-haul-changes-as-of-10oct18/

Bigant0408

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:09 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
The outgoing MUC and FRA from PHL saw it as a very bad AA strategy. Now Lufthansa will ship the Boeing 747-400 to PHL and increase the CLT with Airbus A350-900XWB. I already imagine that for the summer of 2020 they will launch PHL-MUC. I do not understand why AA cuts such important routes

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/280949/lufthansa-s19-long-haul-changes-as-of-10oct18/

Smart move by Lufthansa. Wasn't expecting the 747 for the PHL route but CLT I assumed they'd use a different aircraft at some point
Last edited by Bigant0408 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:23 pm

wagz wrote:
brian415 wrote:

Also the latest OAG thread shows PHL-LGA going down to 2x daily in the summer. Quite a change from a few years ago when it was literally 20x daily.[/quote]

The schedule almost a year away is not worth too much. We will see what ends up happening.

usairways85

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:25 pm

Two scheduled passenger 744's into PHL each day, assuming no changes from BA. Has to be at least 15 years since that last happened when BA operated 2x 744.

redwingspilot

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:38 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:

Current management pretty much is in the mindset that if the route isn't making money, regardless of how prestigious the route is, it's getting cut.

LovePrunesAnet

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:59 pm

redwingspilot wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:

Current management pretty much is in the mindset that if the route isn't making money, regardless of how prestigious the route is, it's getting cut.

WTH? are these managers trying to actually RUN A PROFITABLE COMPANY for fiduciary responsibilities?
The nerve!
They need to go back to business school

PHLspecial

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:42 am

usairways85 wrote:
Two scheduled passenger 744's into PHL each day, assuming no changes from BA. Has to be at least 15 years since that last happened when BA operated 2x 744.

I did not know PHL had two 747 flying to PHL. Sucks AA couldn't complete with LH at FRA seeing two 747 at PHL is going to be exciting for me at least. I'm curious if LH is going to launch MUC-PHL.

At this point I don't see AA launch anymore European flights since all the gates and aircraft's are maxed out from the late afternoon to good amount of the evening time.

usairways85

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:49 am

PHLspecial wrote:
usairways85 wrote:

I did not know PHL had two 747 flying to PHL. Sucks AA couldn't complete with LH at FRA seeing two 747 at PHL is going to be exciting for me at least. I'm curious if LH is going to launch MUC-PHL.

At this point I don't see AA launch anymore European flights since all the gates and aircraft's are maxed out from the late afternoon to good amount of the evening time.

AA will find a way. They've already starting using the B gates for the 752 TA flights.

Yes, BA used 2x 744 for a summer or two before dropping them both. Had to be somewhere in the 1999-2004 time range.

Clipper2Heavy

Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:08 pm

Looking at the #'s so far for 2018, the upgrading to mainline on many routes and the additional TATL flights are having quite an effect on passenger #'s:

May Up 8.0%
June up 12.6%
July up 10.5%
August up 8.6%

2018 will be a year for solid growth for PHL, quite the change from the stagnant #'s over the past few.

Bigant0408

Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:00 pm

Clipper2Heavy wrote:
Looking at the #'s so far for 2018, the upgrading to mainline on many routes and the additional TATL flights are having quite an effect on passenger #'s:

May Up 8.0%
June up 12.6%
July up 10.5%
August up 8.6%

2018 will be a year for solid growth for PHL, quite the change from the stagnant #'s over the past few.

That’s good news to hear. I was wondering how growth was for PHL. Hopefully it’ll increase more next year with up gauging on LH 747 to FRA and AA 332 to Prague. I’m personally curious is to how Load factors are on QR route after the schedule change earlier this year?

usairways85

Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:30 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
Clipper2Heavy wrote:

May Up 8.0%
June up 12.6%
July up 10.5%
August up 8.6%

That’s good news to hear. I was wondering how growth was for PHL. Hopefully it’ll increase more next year with up gauging on LH 747 to FRA and AA 332 to Prague. I’m personally curious is to how Load factors are on QR route after the schedule change earlier this year?

Here are the international only numbers
May: up 4.5%
June: up 8%
July: up 6%
August: up 6.5%
For the year through Aug: up 3.1%

With the way 2019 is shaping up I expect international numbers to be flat maybe slightly down. But after the decent increase this year that's not bad.

LH is bringing in the 744 but AA is dropping FRA.
AA is also dropping the year round MUC. So while AA is adding several seasonal TA destinations which will likely cause the summer months to jump, the Nov-Apr time frame will drop a bit with the loss of MUC.

Bigant0408

Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:06 pm

usairways85 wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
Clipper2Heavy wrote:

May Up 8.0%
June up 12.6%
July up 10.5%
August up 8.6%

Here are the international only numbers
May: up 4.5%
June: up 8%
July: up 6%
August: up 6.5%
For the year through Aug: up 3.1%

With the way 2019 is shaping up I expect international numbers to be flat maybe slightly down. But after the decent increase this year that's not bad.

LH is bringing in the 744 but AA is dropping FRA.
AA is also dropping the year round MUC. So while AA is adding several seasonal TA destinations which will likely cause the summer months to jump, the Nov-Apr time frame will drop a bit with the loss of MUC.

Yea winter season is always a killer for PHL and other US cities especially for international. I doubt we’ll hear anything new for international routes expansion for next year. Hopefully at least new domestic ones that aren’t served yet

PHLspecial

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:52 pm

Clipper2Heavy wrote:

May Up 8.0%
June up 12.6%
July up 10.5%
August up 8.6%

Thank you for posting the numbers!!

The new EU flights certainly help with the numbers with more coming next year I can see the grow more but not as high as this year.
I'm assuming QR and LH have good numbers since QR is continuing to fly daily and LH replacing the A333 with the B744

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos