AirbusMDCFAN
Topic Author

Icelandair Is Eliminating Economy Comfort

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:25 pm

Link/Source: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... y-comfort/

"Icelandair just made an announcement that certainly bucks the industry trend. Generally we’re seeing more and more airlines introduce premium economy. This is only natural as the size of economy seats continues to shrink, while the size of business class seats continues to increase. There’s a market for people who are willing to pay a bit extra, but don’t quite want to pay for business class."

"Up until now, Icelandair has been offering three classes of service — Economy, Economy Comfort (premium economy), and Saga Class (business class). Icelandair has just announced that they’ll be eliminating their Economy Comfort cabin. The great news is that those who paid for Economy Comfort for travel after it’s eliminated will be upgraded to Saga Class, which is awesome."

"In order to remain innovative and competitive, Icelandair is excited to announce changes to our Booking Class Structure, effective 07APR18."

"We will be discontinuing our Economy Comfort product in order to offer our customers more fare options for a travel experience that best suits their needs."

Could we see other airlines start to eliminate their Y+ type/styled product and possibly make their business class a bit bigger.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clickbait title

reality

Re: Surprising: Icelandair Is Eliminating Economy Comfort

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:36 pm

Maybe because it wasn't much different than regular economy. In most of their planes it looks like the same seat, same number of seats per row, plus 1" more leg room than regular economy. Not exactly "comfort."

caverunner17

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:36 pm

Icelandair doesn't have a Y+ class. It's a Y class with an extra inch of space and a middle seat blocked (same as business class flights intra-Europe).

My guess is they weren't filling up those seats and not making up the revenue for the lost 12-20 seats that are blocked that could otherwise be sold to Economy passengers.

Polot

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:43 pm

Almost certainly the blocked middle seat that was killing them. Not enough revenue coming in to overcome that. Without the blocked middle seat their comfort class is too close to economy to justify giving it its own cabin name. Other perks like free meals can be bundled into Y fare levels. Extra legroom can be sold as preferred seats at front of cabin.

YYZLGA

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:56 pm

I flew Y+ on Icelandair five years ago and it was literally a business class seat with economy class catering (and maybe a bit less legroom). It was fantastic. When I saw the headline, I assumed they weren't getting enough additional revenue to justify the reduced density. I guess they've already adjusted to a more conventional Y+ with a blocked middle seat.

enilria

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:11 pm

reality wrote:
Maybe because it wasn't much different than regular economy. In most of their planes it looks like the same seat, same number of seats per row, plus 1" more leg room than regular economy. Not exactly "comfort."

"Economy Comfort" is usually the same seat but better food and more legroom. Same as this.

Revelation

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:21 pm

It points out a big problem with sorting out this whole 'economy', 'economy+', 'basic economy' set of hard products: the airline has to make decisions about the hard products to offer, and once they decide, they're stuck with the chosen layouts for long periods of time, and the chosen layouts have to deliver revenue on all the routes that the reconfigured aircraft fly till the next time they chose to reconfigure.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Theseus

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:23 pm

YYZLGA wrote:
I flew Y+ on Icelandair five years ago and it was literally a business class seat with economy class catering (and maybe a bit less legroom). It was fantastic.

I had the very same experience. I had booked a return trip between EU and North America, and 3 out of 4 legs where essentially like this, with a 2+2 configuration on the same seat as in J class, and with Y class catering. The other leg was regular Y (no Y+ seat avail on that leg), and the total price very reasonable.

RamblinMan

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:25 pm

Think of it this way: The average fare has to be 1.5 times higher than the average Y fare to make up for the capacity lost by blocking the middle seat. While an empty middle is nice, it's simply not worth 50% extra to most pax. Conversely, offering 6 inches extra pitch only requires a 20% fare premium, something which many carriers have found pax are more than willing to pay for.

You only ever see added width as part of premium economy on widebodies which might have 9-across Y+ and 10-across Y. The carrier is only losing 1/10 of the seats per row, not 1/3.

Considering "Saga Class" is configured like a US domestic business class with 4-across recliners, not with lie-flats like most carriers' business class, the gap between the Y and J products isn't large enough to warrant an in-between product.

jetero

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:48 pm

RamblinMan wrote:
Think of it this way: The average fare has to be 1.5 times higher than the average Y fare to make up for the capacity lost by blocking the middle seat. While an empty middle is nice, it's simply not worth 50% extra to most pax. Conversely, offering 6 inches extra pitch only requires a 20% fare premium, something which many carriers have found pax are more than willing to pay for.

You only ever see added width as part of premium economy on widebodies which might have 9-across Y+ and 10-across Y. The carrier is only losing 1/10 of the seats per row, not 1/3.

Considering "Saga Class" is configured like a US domestic business class with 4-across recliners, not with lie-flats like most carriers' business class, the gap between the Y and J products isn't large enough to warrant an in-between product.

I don’t think the math is necessarily as straightforward as the 1.5. If it effectively boosts loads in Y by moving the empty capacity to Y+, you’d have to figure in some offset.

Stated differently, it’s a way to commoditize the empty seats in Y. In that sense the fare doesn’t have to be anywhere near 1.5x higher, if Y+ is nearly fully occupied.

RamblinMan

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:00 am

If they're selling it as a separate cabin, that doesn't really work. If the Y and Y+ seats are interchangeable with Y+ pax getting a guaranteed empty seat next to them, then I sort of agree with you. But then in that scenario, if people are paying for Y+ and the flight goes out 67% full and everyone has an empty middle seat, it makes the product totally worthless.

jetero

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:05 am

RamblinMan wrote:
If they're selling it as a separate cabin, that doesn't really work. If the Y and Y+ seats are interchangeable with Y+ pax getting a guaranteed empty seat next to them, then I sort of agree with you. But then in that scenario, if people are paying for Y+ and the flight goes out 67% full and everyone has an empty middle seat, it makes the product totally worthless.

And what would that same scenario look like if you had everyone paying Y fares, not mixed with higher Y+?

You quoted 1.5 as a rule. It is demonstrably not and ignores the effects of revenue management.

RamblinMan

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:07 am

It was poorly worded...Each seat takes up 1.5x the real estate. You're being pedantic.

dia77

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:42 am

Kind of a bummer for me. I fly SEA-ORY about 6 times a year in economy comfort. The seats aren’t anything special but I like not having the middle seat occupied. I’ll probably switch to BA now so that I can continue accruing AS miles.

jetero

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:56 am

RamblinMan wrote:
It was poorly worded...Each seat takes up 1.5x the real estate. You're being pedantic.

Um, no. What you said is incorrect (well, correct only in the single scenario you described which is sort of misleading as it’d likely still generate more revenue better than not having any Y+ at all).

RamblinMan wrote:
Think of it this way: The average fare has to be 1.5 times higher than the average Y fare to make up for the capacity lost by blocking the middle seat.

Incidentally, I had never thought about the math before until you said, “Think of it this way.” I thought about it as you described and realized it wasn’t necessarily correct (and, in fact, FI could not have been thinking about it that way when the product was created as the numbers as you describe them don’t make much sense for the product offered).

In any case it must not have been successful because in the crazy fare environment to Iceland they must not have been able to eke out even a small premium for the middle seat to generate a high LF in Y+.

flyingclrs727

Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:13 am

It would make more sense to take out a row of seating and add 5" of legroom to 6 rows of seats but don't block the middle seat.

glbltrvlr

Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:26 am

RamblinMan wrote:

Right, but your assumption that 1.5X revenue is required to pay for the 1.5X square footage loss is only true if all seats are sold, and all seats are sold for the same fare.

For example - if the Y cabin had empty seats and enough Ys upgraded to Y+, then extra space in the back of the plane is shifted to Y+ at no loss of revenue, or even revenue gain. Throw in the different fare buckets and the math gets hairy, but the concept is the same. The bottom line is what configuration generates the most revenue *per flight*, not per seat. Clearly blocking seats didn't work, but it was worth trying.

LTCM

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:46 pm

RamblinMan wrote:
Think of it this way: The average fare has to be 1.5 times higher than the average Y fare to make up for the capacity lost by blocking the middle seat.

That math isn't right.

It's either "1.5 times the average Y fare" or "50% higher than the average Y fare". What you have typed here doesn't work mathematically at all. And that's not even taking into account all the other caveats mentioned by others.

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:03 pm

They offer saga class, I think that is enough for a LCC.

Samrnpage

Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:23 pm

I think its more due to WOW and their low cost offering. If FI can get more PAX in their planes, they can lower the prices.

RJNUT

Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:55 pm

Samrnpage wrote:
I think its more due to WOW and their low cost offering. If FI can get more PAX in their planes, they can lower the prices.

I agree all these changes are a direct result of WOW. It may dilute their product a bit, but I think it is becoming more widely understood that travel to/from/thru Iceland means budget experience. I am going to try Saga class, however, but probably only to Iceland and not connecting onward. And probably only on the Eastbound portion from the US.

spinkid

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:19 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
They offer saga class, I think that is enough for a LCC.

Their Saga class is pretty similar to Norwegian's premium class they offer on their 787's.

I booked into their Premium seating last year and chose seats towards the front. I got bumped up into Saga class. When they sell out economy class, they start selling the premium economy as regular economy and filling those middle seats and moving forward PE passengers into SAGA. I will miss that little glitch/perk (or whatever you want to call it).

I guess that was happening often enough that it made sense to just go with 2 classes of services that are clearly distinct from each other.

longhauler

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:26 pm

RamblinMan wrote:

Exactly. In reality, Saga Class is not really "business class". It is priced similar to most airline's international Premium Economy and offers about the same on board product.

I flew Icelandair in Saga Class. It was an enjoyable experience and priced well, but it certainly wasn't even remotely like the international business class offered by most airlines. It reminded me of the premium cabins offered by low cost leisure carriers like Rouge and Air Transat. That being the case then, "economy comfort" really didn't make sense. They would be better off charging a premium to pre-select an economy seat that offered a bit more leg room.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos