Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

joeycapps
Topic Author

Hawaiian LAX Base

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:32 am

Hi All. Not sure if Civil or Ops is the right category, so I'll try my luck here.

I was surprised to find out that HA has an LAX base of about ~85 (or so I was told) FA's.

1. Not including any commuting pilots (if there even are) is it only an FA base, or they actually have LAX-based pilots?
2. Is this the only mainland HA base?
3. How does this fit into the A321 plans... Will they be primarily mainland or island based crew, and if mainland, any chance we'll see more mainland based crew with the 321's flying to the smaller island cities (non-HNL)

I don't know why this is so interesting to me, but from an operational standpoint, I figured that having an LAX base and sending the LA crew out on an earlier flight, and having them come home on - say - the last flight of the day, would be a lot cheaper than overnighting a crew at an airport like LAX.

Any feedback is surely appreciated.

CATIIIevery5yrs

Re: Hawaiian LAX Base

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:53 am

I don't know the answer to your question but I can tell you on my property, we overnight a lot of crews in crew bases.

millionsofmiles

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:10 am

Hawaiian has had an LAX flight attendant base for many years. I believe it goes as far back as 1992, 1993, or perhaps prior.

77H

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:18 am

There a quite a few posters on the forum who are very knowledgeable about HA’s operation. Hopefully they’ll drop in to explain. I thought I read in a trip report some years back that HA had a base in SEA too.

77H

HAL

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:34 am

HA's LAX FA base is currently the only mainland crew base. There were pilot/FA bases in LAX, SFO and SEA starting around 1985 when the L-1011 began operation. I'm not sure when the FAs left SFO and SEA, but it would have been before I was hired there in the late 90s. The pilot bases stayed open until the bankruptcy in 2003 when SFO and LAX were closed. SEA stayed open as a pilot base until 2014. If you want to go back further, in the DC-8 days of charter flying there was a crew base in PHL, and (I think) one at BUF. That was during the late 70s and early 80s. HA also had a big cargo operation that started in Macon GA with a pilot base there in the late 70s flying Lockheed Electras.

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

joeycapps
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:24 pm

Thanks for the insight HAL. I had no idea they were ever that far east..

chepos

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:58 pm

What type of trips does LAX cover? I knew it was a crew base but I am not sure what they work.
Fly the Flag!!!!

azjubilee

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:16 pm

chepos wrote:
What type of trips does LAX cover? I knew it was a crew base but I am not sure what they work.

LAX FA's fly LAX-HNL-LAX turns on HA3/HA2 and LAX-OGG-LAX turns on HA33/HA34.

BobbyPSP

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:41 am

[twoid][/twoid]
azjubilee wrote:
chepos wrote:

LAX FA's fly LAX-HNL-LAX turns on HA3/HA2 and LAX-OGG-LAX turns on HA33/HA34.

What a great line of flying! High value turns = more days off. I'm sure it's a brutal day but I hear LAX is a very senior base

millionsofmiles

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:21 am

I used to lift with a couple Hawaiian flight attendants in the early 90s, and heard all the stories about the clapped out L-1011s and DC-8s. I remember how excited they were when they got some of AA's retired DC-10s. Hawaiian has come so far.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos