Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AVENSAB727

Re: Dynamic exits BK, seeks to grow fleet, use Eastern Air Lines name

Fri May 04, 2018 5:25 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Even more changes -- now Dynamic tells the DOT it will change its corporate name to "Servant Air, Inc."

OST-2015-0263

Mr. Woolley, who is the owner of Dynamic also owns his own aircraft leasing company.
Always look on the bright side of Life!

EA CO AS

Fri May 04, 2018 6:31 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Even more changes -- now Dynamic tells the DOT it will change its corporate name to "Servant Air, Inc."

OST-2015-0263

Link? I’m not seeing what you’re seeing.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

MO11

Fri May 04, 2018 9:49 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

OST-2015-0263

Link? I’m not seeing what you’re seeing.

No...this is where things get confusing (wait, they already are). Remember that Dynamic Aviation (Bridgewater, VA) which operates contract services with King Airs and Dash 8s also operated 121 charters with MD-80s and the 767s. The 121 operation was spun off to become Dynamic International Airways. The 135 operation wanted to begin commuter services, so it acquired the DOT certificate of Alaska-based Servant Air. It very briefly operated King Airs for a membership-based airline in the Northeast. After those flight ended, Dynamic Aviation no longer needed its DOT certificate. The guy that owned Servant Air wanted to restart commuter operations in Alaska, so he bought back the certificate.

questions

Sat May 05, 2018 2:29 am

Was the original Eastern ever a decent airline?

What was the Ionosphere lounge like? Who owns the trademark?

socko

Sat May 26, 2018 1:56 am

Does anyone know the planned routes for this Eastern?

MO11

Sat May 26, 2018 2:00 am

In its original application it said that it would be charter/ACMI only, but now it appears that it will resume the JFK-GEO route.

globetrotter94

Sat May 26, 2018 2:03 am

Lol, maybe they'll reorder the MRJs as well.
6E, 9W, AF, AI, B6, BA, BI, BR, CA, DN, GA, IC, JL, KB, KL, KU, NH, QR, SQ, TG, TK, UA, VS

Blerg

Sat May 26, 2018 6:54 am

MO11 wrote:
In its original application it said that it would be charter/ACMI only, but now it appears that it will resume the JFK-GEO route.

With what aircraft will they operate this route? B767?

INFINITI329

Sat May 26, 2018 2:57 pm

I kinda like the new livery

allegiantflyer

Sat May 26, 2018 3:04 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:

I kinda like the new livery

Looks good. I like the idea of blending eastern with their new parent company Swift, I just wish instead of putting the Swift logo on the tail they used the eastern logo that is used in the title. I also think this would look good in Swift’s old orange livery that I loved.

leleko747

Sat May 26, 2018 3:16 pm

This is Swift Air livery with Eastern logos. The livery looks fresh and very nice, but the Eastern logo simply doesn't fit for me. I wish they would put the Hockeystick livery, just like the 737s
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

ctrabs0114

Re: Dynamic exists BK, seeks to grow fleet, use Eastern Air Lines name

Sat May 26, 2018 3:54 pm

ckfred wrote:
Also, for a number of years, the Chicago Blackhawks have used a Swift Air 734 for team charters. It's apparently configured with far fewer seats than a typical U.S. carrier would have in a 2-class setting. You figure that between players, coaches, trainers, equipment people, front office staff, broadcasting personnel, and press members, probably 60 to 80 people are on any given charter.

Which is rather ironic considering UA owns the naming rights for their home arena - the United Center. That said, a lot of NHL teams (I think it's around 8 to 10 - including the Western Conference Champion Vegas Golden Knights) use Swift for their charters.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

ctrabs0114

Sat May 26, 2018 3:57 pm

questions wrote:
Was the original Eastern ever a decent airline?

What was the Ionosphere lounge like? Who owns the trademark?

The only time I can ever recall EA was when I was 14 years old and traveled from BOS-MCO on a vacation in 1988. I forget which leg of the trip it was (it might have been both), but I seem to recall flying an A300. I don't remember much except the audio entertainment at the time was a loop of the same few songs, at least on one of the channels. (As you might imagine, my memory isn't as strong to recall stuff from 30 years ago).
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)

SyracuseAvGeek

Sun May 27, 2018 1:41 am

The hockey stick logo is backwards, :lol: hopefully someone will realize that and fix it.
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

ckfred

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:00 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
ckfred wrote:
Also, for a number of years, the Chicago Blackhawks have used a Swift Air 734 for team charters. It's apparently configured with far fewer seats than a typical U.S. carrier would have in a 2-class setting. You figure that between players, coaches, trainers, equipment people, front office staff, broadcasting personnel, and press members, probably 60 to 80 people are on any given charter.

Which is rather ironic considering UA owns the naming rights for their home arena - the United Center. That said, a lot of NHL teams (I think it's around 8 to 10 - including the Western Conference Champion Vegas Golden Knights) use Swift for their charters.

If you think that is ironic, try this. Even though AA has spent big bucks to have its name on the walls of Wrigley Field, between home plate and the dugouts, as well as a new club area behind the plate, the Cubs still fly United charters. Cubs management, as well as AA management, have been mum as to why AA, as a major team sponsor, hasn't taken over the charter flying.

ctrabs0114

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:10 pm

ckfred wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:
ckfred wrote:

If you think that is ironic, try this. Even though AA has spent big bucks to have its name on the walls of Wrigley Field, between home plate and the dugouts, as well as a new club area behind the plate, the Cubs still fly United charters. Cubs management, as well as AA management, have been mum as to why AA, as a major team sponsor, hasn't taken over the charter flying.

Because AA doesn't operate any MLB charters (their last team was Arizona, who has since started using a third-party charter operator starting this year) and they've reduced the number of NFL charters they operates to three (Carolina, Dallas, Philadelphia).

Planeboy17

Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:23 pm

Just saw a 763 ( all white) flying for Swift out of MSY this morning operating to Punta Cana. Anyone know more info about this flight? FR24 showed it as Swift.

aemoreira1981

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:15 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:
Just saw a 763 ( all white) flying for Swift out of MSY this morning operating to Punta Cana. Anyone know more info about this flight? FR24 showed it as Swift.

Probably N793JM. That never received a Dynamic livery.

drerx7

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:24 pm

What operation is this airline running? Charters? I've seen them at DFW and IAH.... mainly from puj.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

MO11

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:44 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:

Eastern operating for Swift. Swift has the PUJ contract with Vacation Express.

drex7 wrote:
What operation is this airline running? Charters? I've seen them at DFW and IAH.... mainly from puj.

Yes, charters.

OB1504

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:20 pm

Looks like Dynamic is proceeding full steam ahead with using the Eastern brand. I saw Eastern bag tags on passenger baggage coming off a Dynamic flight and new Eastern ULDs. It looks like the permanent logo will be the Eastern titles in Swift Air colors. I don’t think they’re going to fix the backward logo on one side of the airplane.

ckfred

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:38 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
ckfred wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:

Because AA doesn't operate any MLB charters (their last team was Arizona, who has since started using a third-party charter operator starting this year) and they've reduced the number of NFL charters they operates to three (Carolina, Dallas, Philadelphia).

It's still ironic, in that United has been flying the Cubs charters, going back to the late 70s or early 80s, when baseball teams stopped flying on regularly-scheduled flights. You would think that United would have jumped at the opportunity to have its name behind home plate at Wrigley.

That said, how much team charter work does AA still do for colleges? Back in 2008, I was flying MIA-ORD in early December. My 757 was swapped out for a 767. According to the flight attendant, during the college football season, it was common to have a 757 swap out for a 767, Friday through Monday, because the 757s were popular for flying college football teams.

ctrabs0114

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:59 pm

ckfred wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:
ckfred wrote:

It's still ironic, in that United has been flying the Cubs charters, going back to the late 70s or early 80s, when baseball teams stopped flying on regularly-scheduled flights. You would think that United would have jumped at the opportunity to have its name behind home plate at Wrigley.

Very true. I don't have an explanation for that, but I guess that's the nature of the AA/UA battle for ORD.

That said, how much team charter work does AA still do for colleges? Back in 2008, I was flying MIA-ORD in early December. My 757 was swapped out for a 767. According to the flight attendant, during the college football season, it was common to have a 757 swap out for a 767, Friday through Monday, because the 757s were popular for flying college football teams.

Using this thread from last season as a jumping off point for my reply
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1372549

AA did some charter work for a few Power Five schools last season (Pitt, Wisconsin and at least one of the Arizona schools comes to mind), usually with A321s (which have seemingly replaced the 757 as the plane of choice for these charters post-AA/US merger).

AA's share, however, is relatively small as DL seems to have most of the SEC/ACC schools (plus Michigan), while UA gets the bulk of Big Ten/Big 12/Pac 12 work (Penn State, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, USC come to mind). Most of the smaller FBS and FCS schools which fly tend to use SY, G4 and even WN (Kansas chartered with WN last season as did Mississippi Statez). AS charters three Pac 12 schools in their footprint.

I couldn't track down all of the Power Five schools to confirm my theory, but that's generally how it played out last year.

OB1504

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:29 pm

Saw a lineup of 4 Dynamic/Eastern 767s parked at the northeast corner of MIA yesterday.

Two were -300s in Swift Air colors with Eastern titles (which I’m assuming is now the final livery), one was a -200 in Dynamic colors and titles, and one was a -300 in the older Dynamic livery with Eastern titles.

I do wonder why they bothered to keep using the Eastern name if they’re not going to use the livery.

smokeybandit

Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:06 pm

N767DA operating from BWI to PUJ today.

hOMSaR

Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:15 pm

ckfred wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:
ckfred wrote:

Marketing/promotional agreements and team charter agreements are different things handled by different groups both in the airline and at the sports team. While it might *seem* logical for the airline sponsoring advertising to also fly the team, in reality they have nothing to do with each other.

Marketing agreements are about the airline paying money to get advertising exposure to the fans in a given market, and charter agreements are about the logistics of having a plane with enough room on board for the team and staff, to fly basically on demand, at a decent enough price to the team.

For example, Southwest has sponsored the NFL (maybe they still do? I don’t really follow much anymore), but teams typically fly chartered widebodies, which obviously means Southwest isn’t going to be doing the flying. But it’s still very logical to do so, because the advertising market (i.e. fans) are the target that Southwest is trying to reach, not the players & coaches, half of whom probably couldn’t fit in a Southwest seat if they tried.

Anyway, enough of that off-topic tangent.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

OB1504

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:47 pm

There’s an ex-Dynamic 767-200 now parked at OPF, presumably for scrapping. Is Eastern/Dynamic moving away from the -200s?

MO11

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:49 pm

OB1504 wrote:
There’s an ex-Dynamic 767-200 now parked at OPF, presumably for scrapping. Is Eastern/Dynamic moving away from the -200s?

Since one of them just got a new N number, I'd say no.

EA CO AS

Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:06 am

The problem with Dynamic/Eastern is they're committing branding suicide right now; the airplanes are painted in the Swift livery, sporting Eastern wordmark/titles, with the falcon logo facing backward on the port side (it should always face forward).

Now I realize a lot of this is only something an airline enthusiast would see, but it does send a horrible branding message; they don't know whether or not they're Swift, or Eastern, or both. So it sends a very confusing message to the consumer about who they're flying with, and they'll need to correct this going forward.

My vote is for the classic hockeystick livery, of course.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

aemoreira1981

Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:38 am

EA CO AS wrote:
The problem with Dynamic/Eastern is they're committing branding suicide right now; the airplanes are painted in the Swift livery, sporting Eastern wordmark/titles, with the falcon logo facing backward on the port side (it should always face forward).

Now I realize a lot of this is only something an airline enthusiast would see, but it does send a horrible branding message; they don't know whether or not they're Swift, or Eastern, or both. So it sends a very confusing message to the consumer about who they're flying with, and they'll need to correct this going forward.

I suspect that they're trying to protect the Eastern trademark from obsolescence. Swift for the 737s, Eastern for the 767s. One company, two AOCs.

MO11

Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:01 am

EA CO AS wrote:
So it sends a very confusing message to the consumer about who they're flying with, and they'll need to correct this going forward.

It looks like your vote is canceled.

But as of now the only "customers" are tour operators, charter brokers, and other airlines needing lift. Branding is of no consequence; the planes can be all white with no titles and it wouldn't make a difference.

Actually, the airplanes in Europe have Smart Wings titles, so there is a little bit of branding.

GatorClark

Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:31 am

Just a thought from looking at the Swift Air logo.. Are they part of the Swift that is a major trucking company here in the US? I hope they're not. The Swift (Trucking Company) are for good reason, the laughing stock of the trucking industry due to their poor safety & accident record.

seabosdca

Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:07 am

:lol: A long-ago ex of mine was an actuary for a major insurer that wrote a lot of trucking-company liability policies. She had endless colorful stories about trying to underwrite Swift (the trucking company).

freakyrat

Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:25 am

GatorClark wrote:
Just a thought from looking at the Swift Air logo.. Are they part of the Swift that is a major trucking company here in the US? I hope they're not. The Swift (Trucking Company) are for good reason, the laughing stock of the trucking industry due to their poor safety & accident record.

Driving to Midway from Indiana on 294 a few months ago I saw a Swift semi driver zig zagging in and out of traffic, cutting other drivers out and driving with excessive speed

a/c dxer

Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:03 am

GatorClark wrote:

When Swift air first formed it was created by the same owner of swift trucking. But eventually Swift Air was sold off.

crownvic

Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:24 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
The hockey stick logo is backwards, :lol: hopefully someone will realize that and fix it.

Another A.netter who rushes to post without reading the thread...Go see Mama Mia 2

MO11

Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:18 pm

a/c dxer wrote:
GatorClark wrote:

When Swift air first formed it was created by the same owner of swift trucking. But eventually Swift Air was sold off.

He still owns part of it (through a holding company).

SyracuseAvGeek

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:10 pm

crownvic wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

Another A.netter who rushes to post without reading the thread...Go see Mama Mia 2

A little rude,

You do realize I posted that a long time ago. And the rest of the thread wasn't there when I posted it.

UA444

Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:23 pm

EA CO AS wrote:

Kind of like the hideous CO livery with United slapped on it that you so gleefully cheered over the real UA livery.

Karma.

AA737-823

Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:08 pm

UA444 wrote:
Kind of like the hideous CO livery with United slapped on it that you so gleefully cheered over the real UA livery.

Karma.

Man, you're REALLY having trouble moving on, huh?
I mean, it's been EIGHT YEARS. And you're still. bringing it up in a thread about a charter airline.
MOVE ON!

crownvic

Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:20 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
crownvic wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

A little rude,

You do realize I posted that a long time ago. And the rest of the thread wasn't there when I posted it.

okay, my apologies but I have no idea what your point is? all i was saying is if you started on page 1 of this thread you would see that your comment was already mentioned previously.

EA CO AS

Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:27 am

UA444 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

Karma.

Man, allow me to kick my feet up and relax on the sectional I've apparently had in your head for the past 8 years! :rotfl:

aemoreira1981

Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:34 am

GatorClark wrote:

The airline is co-owned by Swift Trucking's parent, Knight Swift, hence why both use the same logo. The other owner is Kenneth Woolley.

SyracuseAvGeek

Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:50 am

crownvic wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
crownvic wrote:

A little rude,

okay, my apologies but I have no idea what your point is? all i was saying is if you started on page 1 of this thread you would see that your comment was already mentioned previously.

That's ok, I have a bit of a memory issue. At least you apologized.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:15 pm

DOT issued updated certificate with the registered name of Eastern Airlines, LLC along with ability to use ongoing trade name of Dynamic International Airways.

Order 2018-10-9
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Atlwarrior

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:02 pm

UGH! There will never be another Eastern Airline please let that name RIP.

wrongwayup

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:57 pm

LAXintl wrote:
DOT issued updated certificate with the registered name of Eastern Airlines, LLC along with ability to use ongoing trade name of Dynamic International Airways.

Order 2018-10-9

Curious - where does one find such filings? Cruising the DOT page and google hasn't helped me!

usxguy

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:34 pm

airlineinfo.com -- $1000 usd/year for a subscription
xx

wrongwayup

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:21 pm

usxguy wrote:
airlineinfo.com -- $1000 usd/year for a subscription

Surely there's a free source, it being government information and all?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos