Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

neomax
Topic Author

With EY pulling out of DFW, AI nowhere in sight, and IAH upgauged, how long until EK resumes the A380?

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:34 am

With EY said to discontinue DFW on March 25, AI rumors of DFW amounting to snake oil and the official EK resumption of the A380 to IAH on June 1, how long until the EK A380 returns to DFW?

It looks like EK wasn't lying when they said the IAH downgauge was temporary, because true to their word, the A380 indeed returned. The market has been recovering well and many other cuts such as MCO and FLL for instance have been restored (with FLL even getting the new F!) If IAH is any indication, DFW is next to see the return.

AirIndia

Re: With EY pulling out of DFW, AI nowhere in sight, and IAH upgauged, how long until EK resumes the A380?

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:04 am

neomax wrote:
With EY said to discontinue DFW on March 25, AI rumors of DFW amounting to snake oil and the official EK resumption of the A380 to IAH on June 1, how long until the EK A380 returns to DFW?

It looks like EK wasn't lying when they said the IAH downgauge was temporary, because true to their word, the A380 indeed returned. The market has been recovering well and many other cuts such as MCO and FLL for instance have been restored (with FLL even getting the new F!) If IAH is any indication, DFW is next to see the return.

I think you meant FLL got the newly refurbished 77LRs with the new J configuration.

The only other cuts that remain are the second dailies to SEA and BOS.

neomax
Topic Author

Re: With EY pulling out of DFW, AI nowhere in sight, and IAH upgauged, how long until EK resumes the A380?

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:43 am

AirIndia wrote:
neomax wrote:

I think you meant FLL got the newly refurbished 77LRs with the new J configuration.

IIRC, there were some frequency cuts to MCO and FLL, don't remember exactly how much, but it got restored fairly recently, I believe right before the IAH announcement.

Sooner787

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:28 pm

Our EK rep visited our very large travel agency couple weeks ago and said EK's
is thinking about bringing the 380's back to DFW , but they want to see what kind
of boost they get after EY pulls out before committing.

gdg9

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:31 pm

Let's see if EK can start filling the 773 first on a constant basis after EY leaves before we look for A380. Although I will say that with 100+ A380s ,they have to go somewhere... so who knows.
@dfwtower

migair54

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:37 pm

AirIndia wrote:
neomax wrote:

you are right, Actually it is the new B77L configuration with no F and reduced J area, FLL can't accomodate the B77W with the current runways.

DNATA just open a cargo handling facility in DFW so I guess EK is not planning to fly the A380 there shortly as we all know it can't uplift cargo in ULR flights, :-)

I think MCO is back to normal daily flight and FLL to 4 times a week, one JFK is now going to be a daily B77W to EWR, so nothing much change there. BOS and SEA second daily won't come back soon IMO, time ago even SFO and LAX had some more than daily A380.

I would like to see something new in the network for the USA I think there're still quite a few markets that can be explored.

Etihad is terminating DFW flights, but the load factors are usually very good, yields must be crap otherwise they should be making good money on this route.

November 2017 load factors
http://www.dfwtower.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10860
December 2017 load factors
http://www.dfwtower.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10893

evank516

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:39 pm

AirIndia wrote:
neomax wrote:

LAX is still missing their second daily too.

jetero

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:58 pm

It’s going to be a matter of months.

planetime

Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:28 pm

evank516 wrote:
AirIndia wrote:
neomax wrote:

LAX is still missing their second daily too.

If I recall correctly that cut was supposed to be temporary but it has been almost a year. Any plan to put that 2nd flight back to LAX?

iadadd

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:29 pm

EK's next moves in America will likely be (in no particular order):
1) DFW upgauge to A380
2) LAX gets 2nd Daily (it maybe a 77W)
3) BOS may go back to 2nd Daily
4) ORD upgauges to A380 or gets a 2nd daily

I doubt SEA will get its 2nd daily back, if anything EK will launch a new destination.

piedmontf284000

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:12 pm

iadadd wrote:
1) DFW upgauge to A380

I doubt SEA will get its 2nd daily back, if anything EK will launch a new destination.

I think LAX getting their 2nd daily back will happen first, on an A380. Seems like a no brainer. That will be followed by Boston getting their 2nd Daily back. After, that, a new destination. I think it is a very good possibility that ATL and LAS are next on EK's list. I agree that SEA will not see a 2nd daily nor do I think ORD will either. Based on the load factors that have been posted out of DFW the last few months, I just can't see EK putting the whale back on that route unless the loads dramatically increase, and even with EY leaving, I don't see that happening.

evank516

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:20 pm

piedmontf284000 wrote:
iadadd wrote:
1) DFW upgauge to A380

I think LAX getting their 2nd daily back will happen first, on an A380. Seems like a no brainer. That will be followed by Boston getting their 2nd Daily back. After, that, a new destination. I think it is a very good possibility that ATL and LAS are next on EK's list. I agree that SEA will not see a 2nd daily nor do I think ORD will either. Based on the load factors that have been posted out of DFW the last few months, I just can't see EK putting the whale back on that route unless the loads dramatically increase, and even with EY leaving, I don't see that happening.

EK's second daily LAX flight would go back and forth between the A380 and 777 so I wouldn't be surprised to see it at least start with that if they even reintroduce the flight to begin with.

vadodara

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:36 pm

With Qatar in talks with AA, it could be a Qatar A-380 to DFW.

Afterall, the Arab embargo is hurting Qatar. A partnership with AA is a win-win situation.

IrishAyes

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:46 pm

vadodara wrote:

Afterall, the Arab embargo is hurting Qatar. A partnership with AA is a win-win situation.

Qatar and AA are no longer engaged in any discussions. AA rebuffed QR's offer to purchase an ownership stake in the company, and AA severed codeshare relationships with Qatar, as well as Etihad (presumably, the latter stated that this was the entire reason why they are axing the DFW flight).

737max8

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Well the other day I saw about 40 people waiting for the DFW-DXB flight...maybe they should fill the 773 first.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388

AirIndia

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:26 am

migair54 wrote:
, time ago even SFO and LAX had some more than daily A380.
piedmontf284000 wrote:
LAX has been tried with double daily operation twice in the past. SFO has always been single daily ops.

iadadd wrote:
1) DFW upgauge to A380

BOS and ORD both need more capacity. BOS thru a 2nd daily and ORD thru an upgauge. SEA maybe in time may get the 2nd daily back.

ojas

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:42 am

migair54 wrote:
I think MCO is back to normal daily flight and FLL to 4 times a week, one JFK is now going to be a daily B77W to EWR, so nothing much change there. BOS and SEA second daily won't come back soon IMO, time ago even SFO and LAX had some more than daily A380.

SFO never had more than daily flights and neither was it ever on sale by Emirates.

iadadd wrote:
1) DFW upgauge to A380

BOS, ORD if anything should get an A380 rather than a second frequency. Given ORD is purely dependent on traffic from the Indian Sub Continent, they will have to wait a while till EK gets more access to India. DFW is best kept at a B77W. BOS, SEA and LAX second frequencies have seen too many flip flops in the past.
Great leaders don't tell you what to do ... they show you how it's done!

worldranger

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:57 am

BOS A380 will me the next major US announcement

Arion640

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:31 am

vadodara wrote:

That probably Wouldn't happen. Qatars A380 isn't part of the business/marketing model like Emirates so no need to fly it to every destination under the sun.

migair54

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:44 pm

737max8 wrote:
Well the other day I saw about 40 people waiting for the DFW-DXB flight...maybe they should fill the 773 first.

I don't think the 40 you saw were the total load of the flight, DFW is usually very good flight in Business class and usually not less than 200 in Y, as you can see in the traffic figures the flights are usually with good loads.

Another thing you can't see is the belly cargo, usually a very profitable part of EK flights.

worldranger wrote:

it could be, but I think the second daily flight could open many more options to EK, BOS flight is a very good flight in EK, it is quite full always and a second daily departing DXB around 2-3 am will be great. Is BOS ready to the A380 on a daily basis??

ojas wrote:
SFO never had more than daily flights and neither was it ever on sale by Emirates.

You are very right, I just checked the data and saw that it went from daily B777 to daily A380. Do you see any possibilty to get some extra flights??

AirIndia wrote:
BOS and ORD both need more capacity. BOS thru a 2nd daily and ORD thru an upgauge. SEA maybe in time may get the 2nd daily back.

Can EK operate the ORD sector with the A380?? I don't know if BOS, SEA and ORD are A380 ready.

gdg9

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:42 pm

I'd love to know how much freight is going out on the ME3 flights to/from DFW.
@dfwtower

vadodara

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:04 pm

Arion640 wrote:
vadodara wrote:

That probably Wouldn't happen. Qatars A380 isn't part of the business/marketing model like Emirates so no need to fly it to every destination under the sun.

My suggestion was from commercial perspective; a partnership with AA was key to success in DFW. With that in hand, with a 1 or 2 hops, one can potentially connect huge markets.

Qantas service to Sydney has been tremendously successful; uses A380.

Brandon757

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:07 pm

IMO the next A380 we see at DFW will be BA. Might be a couple years, but I do see it eventually happening.

NickolayAv

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:26 pm

migair54 wrote:
worldranger wrote:

it could be, but I think the second daily flight could open many more options to EK, BOS flight is a very good flight in EK, it is quite full always and a second daily departing DXB around 2-3 am will be great. Is BOS ready to the A380 on a daily basis??
AirIndia wrote:

Can EK operate the ORD sector with the A380?? I don't know if BOS, SEA and ORD are A380 ready.

BOS is definitely A380 ready. The infrastructure is there and EK loads are consistently improving since the drop of the double daily. I could see EK going for the double daily solely because of cargo reasons though.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson

gdg9

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:40 pm

Brandon757 wrote:
IMO the next A380 we see at DFW will be BA. Might be a couple years, but I do see it eventually happening.

That would not surprise me at all. Let's hope so!
@dfwtower

dfwjim1

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:11 pm

gdg9 wrote:
Brandon757 wrote:

If BA had not opened up KAUS a few years the BA flight in and out of DFW might have already been upgraded to a A380.

Brandon757

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:18 pm

gdg9 wrote:
Brandon757 wrote:

It would be a win lose situation. I would love to see the BA 380, but at the same time I would hate to see the last passenger 747 service leave DFW.

tbboko802

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:49 am

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Qanta's threat to pull the 380 from the DFW route if the AA-Qantas JV is not approved (https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/? ... oogle.com/). Unfortunate as that may be, it would leave DFW without any 380 service.
Be Open to Change

AVENSAB727

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:47 am

tbboko802 wrote:
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Qanta's threat to pull the 380 from the DFW route if the AA-Qantas JV is not approved (https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/? ... oogle.com/). Unfortunate as that may be, it would leave DFW without any 380 service.

I doubt that will happen, as the AA-QF JV will likely be approved, if not, it would truly suck for DFW and its fans because it could lose the whale (depending on whether Qantas follows through with its threat).
Always look on the bright side of Life!

CHI787ORD

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:39 am

migair54 wrote:
737max8 wrote:

I don't think the 40 you saw were the total load of the flight, DFW is usually very good flight in Business class and usually not less than 200 in Y, as you can see in the traffic figures the flights are usually with good loads.

Another thing you can't see is the belly cargo, usually a very profitable part of EK flights.

worldranger wrote:

ojas wrote:

You are very right, I just checked the data and saw that it went from daily B777 to daily A380. Do you see any possibilty to get some extra flights??

AirIndia wrote:

ORD is A380 ready. BA is bringing in the whale this summer and EK has done an A380 test flight to ORD. EK will probably bring the A380 sooner or later to ORD.

AirIndia

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:58 am

migair54 wrote:

As already pointed out ORD is ready for 380 as is BOS. There is work on in SEA but not sure if 380 capable gates are in the plan.
Besides EK wud not send the 380 to SEA as cargo loads are good from there. SEA is essentially a cargo route that also carries pax ;) :duck:

PerfectGriffin

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:06 am

I'm surprised there hasn't already been an increase in capacity/frequency to BOS and ORD.

vadodara

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:16 pm

AVENSAB727 wrote:
tbboko802 wrote:

I doubt that will happen, as the AA-QF JV will likely be approved, if not, it would truly suck for DFW and its fans because it could lose the whale (depending on whether Qantas follows through with its threat).

Always possible, however what would Qantas do with that aircraft? In addition, DFW is working to be a great hub with the AA code-share. If Qantas walks away, which other city would it sub? LAX obviously is not the best airport for transfers.

gdg9

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:21 pm

QF is just posturing. If the A380 and/or DFW were not useful or making money to their network as a whole, the flight would have already been cut or cutback after all these years.
@dfwtower

Sooner787

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:47 pm

Our QF rep has said they were considering replacing the 380's on the DFW run with 789's
once they have enough frames on property.

I love the Dreamliner but would suck to lose the 380 at DFW

AVENSAB727

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:58 pm

Sooner787 wrote:
Our QF rep has said they were considering replacing the 380's on the DFW run with 789's
once they have enough frames on property.

I love the Dreamliner but would suck to lose the 380 at DFW

I wonder if UA’s IAH- SYD had any effect.
Always look on the bright side of Life!

Sooner787

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:01 pm

Well, the new UA IAH- SYD flights bear watching as would the rumors
of QF starting ORD-SYD nonstop flights with 789's. The latter might effect DFW
yields more than the Houston service

vadodara

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:52 pm

The A380 for QF is certainly non-optimal. Given the geography, it needs to offer non-stops from atleast Sydney, Melbourne and Perth. Throw in Brisbane, Adelaide and other secondary cities. They are probably better off with different versions of 787's.
In anycase, the one's to DFW are due to surplus with the codeshare with EK. They will need a home. Probably nowhere to go other than DFW.

oskarclare

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:36 am

vadodara wrote:
The A380 for QF is certainly non-optimal. Given the geography, it needs to offer non-stops from atleast Sydney, Melbourne and Perth. Throw in Brisbane, Adelaide and other secondary cities. They are probably better off with different versions of 787's.
In anycase, the one's to DFW are due to surplus with the codeshare with EK. They will need a home. Probably nowhere to go other than DFW.

I don't think you understand Australia's airports. In terms of passengers it goes SYD, MEL, BNE, PER. You can't call Brisbane a secondary city considering this and that is it the 3rd largest city in Australlia. There are also rumours about QF or AA to start a BNE-DFW. BNE, MEL and SYD are all in QF and AA 789 routes but PER has no chance currently for DFW given it is way too far for any current aircraft that operates. BNE and MEL will be added to DFW in the next year or two, especially if this JV is approved.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos