WarRI1

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:25 pm

crownvic wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
There should be no animals, lizards, snakes, birds, or reptiles in plane cabins.

I TOTALLY AGREE...

I do also. I am sick of people abusing other peoples rights to assert their own.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

tlecam

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:27 pm

Awful situation; I'm a dog lover and owner (ownee?)

However, I don't think it's fair to characterize all United employees based upon a few isolated incidents, including this flight attendant.

Just like I don't think that every one who works for GM devalues human life due to the ignition scandal.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

PlanesNTrains

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:27 pm

hoons90 wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:
hoons90 wrote:
Multiple witness corroborate that the passenger explicity expressed her reluctance to put the carrier in the overhead bin, directly to the flight attendant, on account of her dog being inside.

I've read about a dozen articles on the incident. I've found just one named witness that's made a claim that indicates the FA knew the entirety of the situation - June Lara. That fact that a second, Maggi Gremminger, said the passenger resisted does not tell us that the FA fully comprehended the situation. You're still assuming things that are not known. I've been in countless boarding situations where chaos reigns and passengers and crew aren't on the same page. Neither are doing anything "wrong".

Honest question: do you care more about getting the facts, or do you care more about who gets blamed? I think it's disgusting that people instantly use awful events to play the blame game against certain entities. I don't believe they actually care that the dog died or the family and crew that now have to deal with it. They only care about who gets the flak--rightly or wrongly.

If the witness, June Lara, was seated in the immediate vicinity and provided a first hand account of what she saw and heard, that's not hearsay. Stories can get distorted and twisted as they are handed down from people to people, but her story is at the top of the chain.

I also don't know what she can personally gain from embellishing the story, so I'm inclined to believe her side of the story. If you're saying that United has a bunch of customers (who happened to be at the exact right place at the right time) that hate the company so much and are willing to go to such lengths to sling mud at the company, then United has bigger problems to worry about.

Care about who gets the blame? Everyone should! It's not just a minor detail.

First, and not really important, but "June Lara" is a man. Regardless, his account was both detailed and coherent. I would tend to believe what he wrote at this stage, not that it matters. He pointed out it was his first flight on United, so he didn't have a grudge obviously with them.

77H wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
AirCalSNA wrote:
[That's my thought ... I don't see how an adult with common sense could think it was a good idea to put a dog in an overhead bin, regardless of whether anyone is directing you to do it or not ... t .

I think a lot of people are petrified of disobeying a flight attendants direct order and that if they do so they will get kicked off the plane. This however is not synonymous with United but with all airlines. Some are worse then others (United). This passenger I bet had the Dr. Dao incident floating around her head and felt it better not to dispute what the FA told her/him.

You can disagree with airline staff in a way that is not combative as ASflyer has said. You can politely ask to speak to the captain, or ask to speak to a supervisor or manager inside the terminal. Not advocating for the FA or the airlines here but as a soverign adult individual, you cannot just abandon personal responsibility. As the owner of a pet, you hold the utmost responsbility for it's wellbeing. If anyone is asking you to do something that might put your pet in harms way, it is ultimately your responsbility to advocate for your animal even it if causes an inconvenience to you. You can always seek restitution for the inconvenience at a later time. At this point, no amount of money will bring the animal back.

77H

SPOT ON.
-Dave

”Yet somewhere in Iceland a great anger stirred in the soul of a troubled individual...” - Revelation

ual763

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:31 pm

Amiga500 wrote:
And the usual clapping seals come out.

"Airline can do no wrong". "Need both sides of the story". "Sounds suspicious". blah blah blah.

Basically, it would appear that there is a relatively high proportion of UA flight attendants that are simply put too stupid to be entrusted with keeping the passengers on their aircraft safe.

This FA (and the ones that had the guy removed by the cavemen a while back) should simply be fired - no retraining - they are simply not of a high enough IQ to be in that position of responsibility.

You do realize that a.) The gate agent had Dr. Dao removed and b.) it wasn't a United employee, right? But sure, go ahead and call all United FAs stupid because this ONE FA "supposedly" told a woman to put her doggy bag in the overhead bin.
From flying to the NOTAM office

Blimpie

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:35 pm

Hmmm, how does UA top this?

I know, let's replace dog with human infant and dog carrier with roller duffer. Now, that's a headline that will sell some ad revenue.
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

AvroLanc

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:35 pm

Such harsh responses, sure am glad I dont work for some of you. I work in health care and we all make mistakes, but punishment will not help. We have to learn from unfortunate events no matter how sad and preventable. People do odd things at odd times. I also feel we as a society have lost the art of effective communication which is contributing to events like this. Lets not hang people hopefully we are better than that.
707,717,727,732,734,737,738,742,744,767,773,DC8,9,10,MD80,L1011,HSTrident,BAC111,DHComet.DH8-100,Q400,CRJ100,200,700,EM75,90,A310,319,320,321,333

Viper911

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:39 pm

GlobalAirways wrote:
An overhead bin is not right place for a dog? But in the cargo hold it is? We don't know why the dog died and unless an autopsy is preformed by a neutral party we can't really point fingers. I also don't think the flight attendants intention was to harm or kill the animal and we don't know the whole background to this story. I think I read somewhere that it was a French Bulldog which if it had an infection and was under stress at altitude... I mean who knows?

Cargo hold is a safe place when everything works correctly. Bigger breeds of dogs are transported daily on passenger planes as cargo. This should be no biggie, as long as the crew is notified and the correct temperature is maintained, (generally the cargo hold is a very cold place), furthermore cargo planes transport all sorts of animals across the globe, at the end, a cargo hold is not a harmful environment as long as proper conditions are maintained.

Viper911

PlanesNTrains

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:40 pm

ual763 wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:

"Airline can do no wrong". "Need both sides of the story". "Sounds suspicious". blah blah blah.

Basically, it would appear that there is a relatively high proportion of UA flight attendants that are simply put too stupid to be entrusted with keeping the passengers on their aircraft safe.

This FA (and the ones that had the guy removed by the cavemen a while back) should simply be fired - no retraining - they are simply not of a high enough IQ to be in that position of responsibility.

You do realize that a.) The gate agent had Dr. Dao removed and b.) it wasn't a United employee, right? But sure, go ahead and call all United FAs stupid because this ONE FA "supposedly" told a woman to put her doggy bag in the overhead bin.

With 80,000 (or whatever it is) employees, you're going to have bad apples or people who otherwise use poor judgment. That doesn't in any way excuse this incident, and it might have roots in a don't-question-our-directions leadership style at the airline (I don't know), but I don't think it's that all United employees are bad or stupid or whatever, anymore than I believe that's true at any carrier.
-Dave

”Yet somewhere in Iceland a great anger stirred in the soul of a troubled individual...” - Revelation

MSPNWA

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:44 pm

hoons90 wrote:
If the witness, June Lara, was seated in the immediate vicinity and provided a first hand account of what she saw and heard, that's not hearsay. Stories can get distorted and twisted as they are handed down from person to person, but her story is at the top of the chain.

I also don't know what she can personally gain from embellishing the story, so I'm inclined to believe her side of the story. If you're saying that United has a bunch of customers (who happened to be at the exact right place at the right time) that hate the company so much and are willing to go to such lengths to sling mud at the company, then United has bigger problems to worry about.

June Lara is a male. And he's the only one to directly claim that the FA had some knowledge of a pet being involved. Not the dog owners. Not the other witness in the news. Also his original Facebook post is quite interesting. When you start and end with the focus on you and your "first/last trip on United", it makes one wonder. And no one is saying this person is intentionally embellishing, although there could be reasons to do so. Logically we have to hear all sides before we trust someone's memory of an event that they weren't directly involved in and isn't corroborated by others. Care to provide that 2nd witness for us?

Everyone gets blamed? Who is "everyone"? Even if they did nothing wrong? What world is this now where we care about blame before we know if it's warranted? You prove my point. I don't believe you do care about the dog, its owners, and the crew more than who gets blamed.
Last edited by MSPNWA on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cedarjet

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:47 pm

Absolutely vile company, from the angry crew, naff 90s paint job, to the non-rollout of Polaris etc. Con Air is more appealing. Agree that power tripping cabin crew are out of control on US carriers.

That said, peoples’ attitudes to their pets has gone badly wrong. Having an out of body grief experience over a dog while eating animals at least 2-3 times a day is just insane, Fall Of Rome stuff. If this woman isn’t a vegetarian she simply isn’t entitled to that kind of grief over an animal. And I agree, with the exception of guide dogs, animals shouldn’t be carried. Leave the pet at home, or choose a method of transport that doesn’t risk harming them. And stop eating them, if you care so much.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Jamake1

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:51 pm

I'm placing myself in the owner's shoes. She is traveling with tween daughter and a small infant. She is somewhat limited in her mobility with her seat belt fastened and an infant in hand. She is tentative about the the pup going into the overhead bin, but ultimately gives in to the flight attendant's authority. Like every situation, this horrific situation has multiple layers to it. It's very easy to sit behind a smart phone screen or a computer keyboard and state what one would've or would not have done in this situation. I frequently see mothers traveling without husbands and their minds are going a mile a minute. Baby stroller? Check. Puppy? Check. Infant bag with diapers and baby formula? Check. Purse? Check. Wallet? Check. Car keys? iPhone? Check. Passports? Check. Mama's got a lot on her mind and in that instant (departure time) reluctantly defaults to the flight attendant's authority (and entrusts the flight attendant's training and experience). I can understand why Mama perhaps didn't think to check on the young pup mid flight. To me, she gets a pass in this blame game. I am pleased to see United taking full ownership for this very unfortunate situation.
Come fly the sun.

L410Turbolet

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:51 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
What world is this now where we care about blame before we know if it's warranted?

#meToo world? (apologies for the off-topic)
Last edited by L410Turbolet on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jordanh

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:52 pm

blockski wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:
Gotta be more to this story, at least as far as the death of the dog. Surely those overhead bins aren't air tight or super hot.

No, not really. French Bulldogs have notorious respiratory issues and are known to overheat and overexert themselves very easily.

Overexertion out of fright might have been an issue, but I doubt that overheating was involved. Because the cold-air ducts pass next to the overhear bins, most aircraft have very cold spaces there - not warm at all. It might be the excessive temperature change - from normal to cold - could have contributed to the problem.

ASFlyer wrote:
What I know is that people routinely carry those black duffel bags on the airplanes with pets in them without notifying someone at the counter. They either don't know that there is a charge for doing so and just bring them on, or they try to sneak them by the boarding agent to avoid the fee- which is fairly easy to do. Those bags are easily mistaken as just another duffel bag so I can see where the FA would possibly tell them that the bag has to go in the overhead if it's not fitting all the way under the seat.

If you had bothered to read the article - and looked at the photo - it was clear that the bag was a pet carrier, not some "black duffel bag". If the flight attendant couldn't spot a pet carrier, with a reportedly barking dog in it, then he or she probably shouldn't be a flight attendant.

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:52 pm

hoons90 wrote:
You have a narrower interpretation of the word "kill", which would make statements like "3 people killed in car accident" etc. out of place.

You still don't get it, do you?
In your example, the word "accident" qualifies the word "killed".

For instance; "3 people killed in car" as a headline opens up multiple interpretations, most of them negative. I'm already seeing a man with a gun nearby. (Only in the USA of course)
I promised myself I'd leave before the party turned ugly. I would quit at 1000 !
Here I am stuck at 994; each time I'm tempted to post, I find myself wondering who will even read it / what is the point?
Or maybe I've just got nothing left to say.

ual763

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:57 pm

cedarjet wrote:
Absolutely vile company, from the angry crew, naff 90s paint job, to the non-rollout of Polaris etc. Con Air is more appealing. Agree that power tripping cabin crew are out of control on US carriers.

That said, peoples’ attitudes to their pets has gone badly wrong. Having an out of body grief experience over a dog while eating animals at least 2-3 times a day is just insane, Fall Of Rome stuff. If this woman isn’t a vegetarian she simply isn’t entitled to that kind of grief over an animal. And I agree, with the exception of guide dogs, animals shouldn’t be carried. Leave the pet at home, or choose a method of transport that doesn’t risk harming them. And stop eating them, if you care so much.

Did you seriously just write that? The human race (with the exception of you obviously) has been eating animals since the beginning of time. Pretty sure the majority of "peoples' attitudes to their pets", as you put it, has never been to eat them....

But despite that comment, have you ever actually flown on United Airlines? How can you say that they are a "vile company", when they literally have tens of thousands of people who care very much for their passengers, and are genuinely good people? ALL company's have their bad eggs. The actual COMPANY of United did the right thing here, by taking "full responsibility". Definitely not a "vile company". Have fun on ConAir.
From flying to the NOTAM office

KentB27

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:59 pm

This is a very unfortunate situation but I think it's a bit short sighted to pin point putting the dog in the overhead bin as the cause of death. The dog could have died regardless of where it was on the aircraft. There just aren't enough facts and details about this situation at the moment.

hoons90
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:03 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
hoons90 wrote:
If the witness, June Lara, was seated in the immediate vicinity and provided a first hand account of what she saw and heard, that's not hearsay. Stories can get distorted and twisted as they are handed down from person to person, but her story is at the top of the chain.

June Lara is a male. And he's the only one to directly claim that the FA had some knowledge of a pet being involved. Not the dog owners. Not the other witness in the news. Also his original Facebook post is quite interesting. When you start and end with the focus on you and your "first/last trip on United", it makes one wonder. And no one is saying this person is intentionally embellishing, although there could be reasons to do so. Logically we have to hear all sides before we trust someone's memory of an event that they weren't directly involved in and isn't corroborated by others.

Everyone gets blamed? Who is "everyone"? Even if they did nothing wrong? What world is this now where we care about blame before we know if it's warranted? You prove my point. I don't believe you do care about the dog, its owners, and the crew more than who gets blamed.

I acknowledge that I mixed up the gender of the witness, but that doesn't really change anything nor is the gender of the witness of any consequence. His side of the story is one as a third person. He's not the victim, nor is he the person being blamed. So take it for what it's worth.

Also, you misinterpreted what I said. I said that everyone should care about who gets the blame, as this is a serious matter that had dire consequences.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

L410Turbolet

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:05 pm

ual763 wrote:
The human race (with the exception of you obviously) has been eating animals since the beginning of time.

True. However, they have been projecting human-like qualities into selected few animals only for couple of decades now.

jayunited

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:07 pm

jumbojet wrote:
That shouldnt matter. A dog doesnt belong in the OHB. Period.

I agree with what you are saying a dog does not belong in the OHB and the FA was wrong for instructing the passenger to do so. What I'm wondering is was there an attempt made to retrieve the dog while in flight by anyone onboard the flight once the fasten seat belt sign was turned off. I myself have 2 dogs there many animal lovers and I'm sure there had to be some onboard this flight obviously the person who reported this incident was disturbed enough to inform United via social media but was there any effort made to retrieve the dog while in flight and if so was that effort denied by the FA? What happened during the time the aircraft was at cruise altitude? I'm disturbed and upset by the fact that the customer was told to place the dog in the overhead bin, but I'm equally concerned by the lack of information about what happen on board while the flight was at cruise altitude, the passenger left out this pertinent information. I just having a hard time imagining passengers sitting in their seat while at cruise altitude and no one not the owner or obviously concern passengers around her opened the overhead bin to retrieve the dog?

United Airlines bears responsibility for this but we have a completely helpless animal in a overhead bin and not a single adult onboard who witness this came to its rescue during the flight? Was the dog dead by the time they reach cruise altitude so they just left him in the overhead bin? Was the dog crushed to death during the climb out? I hope more passengers will chime in and shed light on what they saw, and heard after the flight attendant told the passenger to place the dog in the OHB.

I don't disagree with anything you've said in this thread UA's FA was wrong period and that request set into motion this series of events.
Last edited by jayunited on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeBaNi

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:07 pm

Ionosphere wrote:
The bins have an opening at the very top when closed. Could the dog have been crushed by bags during take off or landing?

I read all the posts about French bulldogs having respiratory/ trachea collapse issues, but I wouldn't be surprised if the dog was crushed. You know how FAs make the announcement: "Please be careful when opening the overhead bins, as items may have moved in flight"? That suddenly seems pertinent. And if people absolutely packed the overhead bins with luggage, it's plausible the dog may have been crushed.

kngkyle wrote:
If a bag does not fit under the seat in front of you then you have to store it in the overhead bin for takeoff. Does that policy change when the bag in question has a dog in it? I would think human life would take precedent and if UA didn't enforce that rule then they could open themselves up to legal action should there be an accident and someone got injured or died because of the bag blocking their exit. However, there is no reason for the bag to have to stay in the overhead bin the entire flight, which seems to have been the case based on the article. Did the FA force the passenger to keep the bag in the overhead bin, or did she just fail to mention it only needed to be stored there for takeoff and the passenger didn't know any better? It sounds to me like it was a communications failure.

The passenger was traveling with a child and an infant, in addition to the dog. It wouldn't surprise me if she didn't have a chance to check on the dog during the flight, especially if the infant was sharing the seat with the passenger AND she had another child to keep an eye on. Keep in mind also, that flying is stressful for a lot of people (unlike us at A.net) so she was probably more focused on keeping herself/her child/ her infant/ a combo of the three calm during the flight.

hoons90 wrote:
Most airlines have size limits for pet carriers that are brought into the cabin. If it's unable to fit underneath the seat in front of you, I would imagine that it's too big to be allowed in the cabin in the first place. If that's the case, the pet (and passenger) should have not been allowed to board at all.

We know from the Lucky story that the bag was TSA approved, meaning it would have to be approved to be placed in a seat underneath? For the alternate scenario, i.e. the bag placed int he overhead bin, I'm not sure why the TSA would approve pet carriers potentially with pets in them for overhead bins. And like someone said, pet carriers like the one pictured in the story have soft sides, so it's not like the sides couldn't be squished to fit under the seat.

Route66 wrote:
ro1960 wrote:
This may be a naive question, but why did the passenger not take the dog bag out of the overhead bin after a while and put it under the seat in front of her?

Maybe her seat did not have under-

Isn't it an FA's job to sort out problems like this though? If her seat didn't have space under, then would it really be a huge issue to move her and her family to another seat that had space under? AFAIK, most seats without space in front of them are exit row/ bulkhead seats, and I can't imagine there wouldn't be passengers willing to move to those seats.

Blueballs wrote:
Well don’t bring your animal. My guess is it didn’t fit in the seat in front of her, and a typical entitled passenger probably demanded her dog is her friend and must stay. Well if the bag don’t fit you bought the wrong bag. As such she is solely responsible for the death of Fido and the owner should be sued by the aspca.

Pointless, because as others have already said, UA allows pets on board, so if you were a pet owner, why wouldn't you take advantage of that? By allowing pets on board, UA also gets some money for space that that other pet-less passengers get for free (or bundled into the ticket price, if you will). There is also no indication that the bag didn't fit. It was TSA approved, and bags like those have soft sides so they can squish into smaller spaces.

AirCalSNA wrote:
IrishAyes wrote:
breaks my heart to read this. however, i don't think that i could proceed with flying if i were instructed to place my pet in the overhead bin. that's just me, though. very sad to hear.

That's my thought ... I don't see how an adult with common sense could think it was a good idea to put a dog in an overhead bin, regardless of whether anyone is directing you to do it or not ... the passenger (assuming she is not now trying to lay blame after-the-fact) should have refused and taken a later flight. My brother and his wife flew roundtrip from So Cal to NYC last year with their dog in a carrier under their seats both ways and all had a great trip, so the problem is not the dog ... I think the owner is primarily at fault.

Btw, a more balanced and accurate title to this thread would be "Dog dies onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)." I don't think anyone set out to kill it.

I hear you and I'd probably do the same, but in this passenger's case, it might not be practical to disembark, as she was traveling with a child and an infant in addition to the dog. For one, her stroller and any checked bags would also need to be removed. Also, for someone traveling with kids, I'd imagine it would be daunting to go through a delay of an unspecified time.

Jamake1 wrote:
I'm placing myself in the owner's shoes. She is traveling with tween daughter and a small infant. She is somewhat limited in her mobility with her seat belt fastened and an infant in hand. She is tentative about the the pup going into the overhead bin, but ultimately gives in to the flight attendant's authority. Like every situation, this horrific situation has multiple layers to it. It's very easy to sit behind a smart phone screen or a computer keyboard and state what one would've or would not have done in this situation. I frequently see mothers traveling without husbands and their minds are going a mile a minute. Baby stroller? Check. Puppy? Check. Infant bag with diapers and baby formula? Check. Purse? Check. Wallet? Check. Car keys? iPhone? Check. Passports? Check. Mama's got a lot on her mind and in that instant (departure time) reluctantly defaults to the flight attendant's authority (and entrusts the flight attendant's training and experience). I can understand why Mama perhaps didn't think to check on the young pup mid flight. To me, she gets a pass in this blame game. I am pleased to see United taking full ownership for this very unfortunate situation.

This. You expressed this way better than I could hope to.

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
hoons90 wrote:
You have a narrower interpretation of the word "kill", which would make statements like "3 people killed in car accident" etc. out of place.

For instance; "3 people killed in car" as a headline opens up multiple interpretations, most of them negative. I'm already seeing a man with a gun nearby. (Only in the USA of course)

Yeah, but when you include the word "accident", which you conveniently left out, I'm sure the majority would not think of a gun nearby.

FA9295

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:08 pm

hoons90 wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
hoons90 wrote:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2018/03/13/united-kills-dog/

Simply tragic... Shame on United.
Follow the flight attendants instructions and end up with a dead family member, or get offloaded.

Sad, but dogs should not be brought onboard.

Then United should ban all animals in their cabins, instead of charging customers $125 for the privilege of taking their pets with them.

It's a good way to snag up some extra cash, and that's really all they care about...
No, "FA" in my username does not stand for "flight attendant"...

DIRECTFLT

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:08 pm

OA412 wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:
Well see if the facts do emerge, but this has the hallmarks of a tragic miscommunication. The most logical reason at this point is that the FA didn't know there was a dog in the carrier.

From the article in OP's post (emphasis added):
"I witnessed a United flight attendant instruct a woman to put her dog carrier with live dog in an overhead bin. The passenger adamantly pushed back, sharing verbally that her dog was in the bag. The flight attendant continued to ask the passenger to do it, and she eventually complied."

On the National Nightly News tonight.... One report said the FA may not have known if there was a dog in the bag.

Another station said there was a report that the FA assured the pas that the dog would okay.

NeBaNi wrote:
If her seat didn't have space under, then would it really be a huge issue to move her and her family to another seat that had space under? AFAIK, most seats without space in front of them are exit row/ bulkhead seats, and I can't imagine there wouldn't be passengers willing to move to those seats.

Shouldn't the Gate Agent have some say in where to seat a pas with a dog??
Last edited by DIRECTFLT on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

vhtje

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:15 pm

May I suggest a change in thread title? We do not know for a fact that the dog was killed; all we know at this stage is that the poor creature died during the flight after being put into an overhead bin. For all we know, the poor thing might have been severely ill, or elderly and had a weak heart. The current thread title is pre-judging culpability.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

F27500

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:18 pm

[img]
[/img]
vhtje wrote:
May I suggest a change in thread title? We do not know for a fact that the dog was killed; all we know at this stage is that the poor creature died during the flight after being put into an overhead bin. For all we know, the poor thing might have been severely ill, or elderly and had a weak heart. The current thread title is pre-judging culpability.

.. it was a 10 month old French bulldog puppy.

And in any case, you seem to be another one wanting to absolve this "crew member" of any fault here.

DIRECTFLT

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:28 pm

I agree that the thread title should be changed.
Current: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Could be: "Dog dies aboard UA flight after FA orders passenger to store it in the overhead bin."

The intent is what will be decided and judged. Officially and unofficially.

Why let that " preliminary judgement" prevail in the title of an airline thread??? Why ?
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

PlanesNTrains

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:30 pm

hoons90 wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

Maybe it would be sensationalist if it were titled "dog murdered on board United Airlines flight." Last time I checked, it's possible to kill someone without the express intention of doing so. The dog's death isn't just incidental.

They didn't strangle it. They put it in an enclosed space and - by the sounds of it with this breed - it couldn't take the conditions. Nobody "killed it". It died.

If the car rolled over and crushed them, the headline would read "Three killed in rollover crash". If they are parked and die of carbon monoxide poisoning, the headline would read "Three die from CO poisoning". But does it really matter? We all get what happened - the dog was stuffed in the overhead bin and died.
-Dave

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:32 pm

This is making every national news tonight, another PR nightmare for united. Social media is heating up on this too.

United is in pure penny pinching mode , this is not the publicity they wanted now. Hope this never happens again, so unnecessary.

F27500

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:35 pm

There are flight attendants who abuse their position and who DO bully pax. We've seen and read these incidents. They threaten people with being pulled off a flight ... or being "met by the police upon landing" .. we've even seen the vids .. like the case of that inbecile AA cowboy flight attendant last year who manhandled that woman with the stroller holding a baby and who was ready to swing at a male pax who came to her defense. There ARE bad FAs out there .. with a WAY over-inflated view of themselves. Agents too, for that matter. Far too much empowerment has led to the bad apples like these to bully. And they do.

This pax, in an ideal world, really should have asked to speak to someone in charge of tis fool in the cabin .. even asking for the captain to intervene, if necessary. But people are different. Some people can't or won't stand up for themselves out of fear of being thrown off or arrested. Or being overwhelmed (travelling with another child and an infant) .. so they just blindly do as they're told.

And now a puppy is dead as a result.

Moral? If you're told to do something SO totally against your gut and that you know is wrong by some stupid FA .. or anyone else, for that matter .. make a stink ... GET NAMES ... video it on your phone too. and get their faces. It might get u thrown off .. but will you ever have a good case later on ... and you will get justice!

I hope this woman goes personally after this FA in court.

SC430

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:36 pm

Tittle is a bit sensationalist. A dog died aboard a United flight, no one killed it.

B752OS

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:37 pm

I've been on flights before where there were dogs and/or cats in the cabin. They behaved a lot better than some of the people on the flight.

Normal house pets (sans snakes for example) are perfectly fine as long as they're properly contained. People do need to travel with pets that are not medical animals.

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:39 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

NeBaNi wrote:
Yeah, but when you include the word "accident", which you conveniently left out, I'm sure the majority would not think of a gun nearby.

Please, please, do try to keep up.
If you want to include the word "accident" (as does "hoons90") because it changes the meaning of the sentence, let's have "Dog killed by accident on board United Airlines flight"

Or, to put it another way; you totally got my point, and totally missed why I excluded "accident". :banghead:

On the other hand, DIRECTFLIGHT has come up with a technically accurate thread title, which I might not personally like, but I cannot argue against.
I promised myself I'd leave before the party turned ugly. I would quit at 1000 !
Here I am stuck at 994; each time I'm tempted to post, I find myself wondering who will even read it / what is the point?

dmg626

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:41 pm

Sounds like two complete morons paths converged in the universe at the same time and the dog paid the price. It’s like a perfect storm

flyguy84

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:41 pm

[quote="slcdeltarumd11”]United is in pure penny pinching mode , this is not the publicity they wanted now. Hope this never happens again, so unnecessary.[/quote]
Huh? What does this have to do with anything. Just another biased attack with no factual basis.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:43 pm

F27500 wrote:
[img]
[/img]
vhtje wrote:

And in any case, you seem to be another one wanting to absolve this "crew member" of any fault here.

BS. He actually just not running off at the mouth as if he were there. I don't see him absolving UA or the FA of any responsibility. I see him unemotionally stating the obvious, which is we don't know if the dog was crushed, suffocated, had a heart attack, was pre-disposed to an early death, etc. That's SEPARATE from whether putting it in the overhead bin was right or wrong.
-Dave

ASFlyer

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:45 pm

Amiga500 wrote:

You're an idiot. The Flight Attendants had nothing to do with the man being drug out of the airplane - that was all on the Chicago Police for doing the dragging. The agents called and asked them to come to the airplane because a man refused to deplane. Whether or not he should ever have been asked to deplane is a horse that has been beaten to death - but the ONLY thing any FA had to do with any of that is that they were being required to deadhead on a UA flight that the man was on. End of story. You're statement demeans the tens of thousands of hard working, honest and kind UA FA's based on the accused actions of one individual. You wouldn't like it if FA's made general statements about all passengers based on the actions of some.

F27500

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:47 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
F27500 wrote:
[img]
[/img]
vhtje wrote:

BS. He actually just not running off at the mouth as if he were there. I don't see him absolving UA or the FA of any responsibility. I see him unemotionally stating the obvious, which is we don't know if the dog was crushed, suffocated, had a heart attack, was pre-disposed to an early death, etc. That's SEPARATE from whether putting it in the overhead bin was right or wrong.

Wrong. This puppy died as a result of a FA WRONGLY bullying a pax into stuffing an approved under-the-seat pet carrier bag up into an overhead bin.

Pure and simple. There was NO reason anyone in their right mind should have done that.

MSPNWA

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:48 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
This is making every national news tonight, another PR nightmare for united. Social media is heating up on this too.

It just shows us yet again how we need to ignore the media and their self-created "PR disasters". An airline can defraud people multiple times and nothing is ever reported. But if there's an accident involving an airline and a dog dies, top story!

PlanesNTrains

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:55 pm

F27500 wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
F27500 wrote:
[img]
[/img]

Wrong. This puppy died as a result of a FA WRONGLY bullying a pax into stuffing an approved under-the-seat pet carrier bag up into an overhead bin.

Pure and simple. There was NO reason anyone in their right mind should have done that.

You obviously didn't read what I wrote.

1. I never said the FA was correct, not responsible, etc.
2. I never said anyone should have ever put that dog in the overhead.

What I said was that we don't know if the dog died because it was crushed by a bag, had a heart attack, suffocated, etc. We have had people in this thread point out how susceptible THIS BREED IS to health issues. That doesn't absolve UA or the FA of responsibility, but it might mean that a healthy [breed of] dog would have been just fine. Can you understand that that's a SEPARATE ISSUE - responsibility over what happened VS physically why the dog died? Note: It's ok to have a discussion that isn't all about finger-pointing and culpability.
-Dave

ASFlyer

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:58 pm

jordanh wrote:
If you had bothered to read the article - and looked at the photo - it was clear that the bag was a pet carrier, not some "black duffel bag". If the flight attendant couldn't spot a pet carrier, with a reportedly barking dog in it, then he or she probably shouldn't be a flight attendant.

Yeah, I actually did read the article - and saw the picture. Both the picture of the dead dog in the bag and the picture of the bag just sitting there next to the family. It looks like every other black duffel bag that people bring animals in and also carry their belongings in. The mesh is not easy to see as it's also black and the bag isn't covered in mesh, they are just two or three smaller mesh panels so the animal can look out and breathe. Nobody said the dog was barking until after it was in the overhead bin. It's easy enough to slide right by. It literally happens daily. Judge if you like, but the bags are not easily differentiated from a normal duffel bag. If the passenger did, indeed, tell the FA that her dog was in the bag, as reported by the passenger that wrote about this, then that FA was ridiculous, but I hope that she didn't clearly understand what the passenger was saying for whatever reason if that were the case. Having been in the industry for over 32 years now, I can't even imagine a scenario where a FA would tell someone to put their animal in an overhead bin. If it happened and the FA was aware it was an animal then the should be fired. I think there's more to the story then the account of one person and her second hand account from another passenger.

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:04 am

F27500 wrote:
This puppy died as a result of a FA WRONGLY bullying a pax into stuffing an approved under-the-seat pet carrier bag up into an overhead bin.

No reason?
Flight safety not an issue here?
Why is it exactly that bags must be either safely stowed under the seat or in an overhead bin?
If only we had some FAs here on this forum to guide us......

The fact that the bag is approved, but evidently doesn't fit under the seat for some reason is a side issue. That aircraft should not be taking off with a loose dog carrier in the cabin, approved or not.

I guess what you are saying is that the passenger (& her dog) should have been thrown off the plane, because that is the only logical conclusion. Whether UA then needed to settle up with her regarding alternative flights and/or compensation, is another matter.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:05 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
F27500 wrote:
This puppy died as a result of a FA WRONGLY bullying a pax into stuffing an approved under-the-seat pet carrier bag up into an overhead bin.

No reason?
Why is it exactly that bags must be either safely stowed under the seat or in an overhead bin?

The fact that the bag is approved, but evidently doesn't fit under the seat for some reason is a side issue. That aircraft should not be taking off with a loose dog carrier in the cabin, approved or not.

I guess what you are saying is that the passenger (& her dog) should have been thrown off the plane, because that is the only logical conclusion. Whether UA then needed to settle up with her regarding alternative flights and/or compensation, is another matter.

That's exactly what should have happened. Once she was allowed to board with a carrier that allegedly didn't fit under the seat, there was no salvaging the situation. Another reason never to work for an airline. It'd suck dealing with these scenarios over and over and over and over.
-Dave

ASFlyer

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:13 am

F27500 wrote:
There are flight attendants who abuse their position and who DO bully pax. We've seen and read these incidents. They threaten people with being pulled off a flight ... or being "met by the police upon landing" .. we've even seen the vids .. like the case of that inbecile AA cowboy flight attendant last year who manhandled that woman with the stroller holding a baby and who was ready to swing at a male pax who came to her defense. There ARE bad FAs out there .. with a WAY over-inflated view of themselves. Agents too, for that matter. Far too much empowerment has led to the bad apples like these to bully. And they do.

This pax, in an ideal world, really should have asked to speak to someone in charge of tis fool in the cabin .. even asking for the captain to intervene, if necessary. But people are different. Some people can't or won't stand up for themselves out of fear of being thrown off or arrested. Or being overwhelmed (travelling with another child and an infant) .. so they just blindly do as they're told.

Moral? If you're told to do something SO totally against your gut and that you know is wrong by some stupid FA .. or anyone else, for that matter .. make a stink ... GET NAMES ... video it on your phone too. and get their faces. It might get u thrown off .. but will you ever have a good case later on ... and you will get justice!

You're just totally rewriting a story to match your narrative, aren't you? Go back and look at the video of that AA FA you're speaking of and point out where he threatened the pax. It was the other way around actually. The FA stupidly told the passenger threatening to knock him out to "go ahead". As the story has been told by other passengers on the plane, the FA grabbed the stroller from the overhead bin and, in doing so, accidentally grazed the shoulder of the woman trying to bring it on, despite having been told she wasn't allowed to. The woman was a drama queen. But, by all means, so you can totally demean an entire group of people, create your own story to match your narrative. It's kind of what we do in this country now anyway.

Oh, and who cares about having a "good case". Demand that the Captain get involved - surely there aren't going to be two people on the same plane (or hopefully at the same airline) that would require anyone to stow their animal in the overhead bin.
Last edited by ASFlyer on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

F27500

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:18 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
F27500 wrote:

No reason?

That's exactly what should have happened. Once she was allowed to board with a carrier that allegedly didn't fit under the seat, there was no salvaging the situation. Another reason never to work for an airline. It'd suck dealing with these scenarios over and over and over and over.

I don't know how to post it here because of all the A,Net "rules" about everything ... but its on other sites -- pics of the duffel .. pics of the little dead pup in the bag afterward .. .. it was a standard size animal carrier under-seat bag .. theres no way that bag wouldn't have fit under the seat on a 737.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:28 am

cpd wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
cpd wrote:

Unbelievable, what is the difference? Killed or died is the same thing. Trying to make some distinction between the two just comes across as callous.

There is nothing wrong with the existing title. It says simply that a dog was killed on board UA flight (in cabin). That does not point blame at anyone.

Ok, try this for size.
"Man killed onboard Untied Airlines flight"
Today, and elderly man with a history of breathing problems suffered a heart attack during a Untied Airlines flight. Witnesses say the man did not speak any English and may have been confused and stressed by the Flight Attendants instructions. He then quietly fell asleep, but passed away at some point during the flight, which was only noticed when he failed to respond after landing.
Situation sound familiar?
Still happy that killed or died are the same thing? :banghead:

Well, if you are going to be super picky on writing you might at least spell the name of the airline correctly. The ultimate result is the same: the person, creature, animal or whatever is still dead. It is maddening that this poor creature is dead and all you lot want to do is argue over the wording of a title. Unbelievable.

What do you want us to do, sit here and lament over it? I doubt anyone on here is anything but sad to hear of what happened. Not everyone is going to be an emotional basket case over the story, though, and will be able to carry on a conversation that includes things like thread titles.
-Dave

cpd

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:29 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
cpd wrote:
vhtje wrote:
We do not know for a fact that the dog was killed; all we know at this stage is that the poor creature died during the flight after being put into an overhead bin.

Unbelievable, what is the difference? Killed or died is the same thing. Trying to make some distinction between the two just comes across as callous.

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Don't they teach basic English in schools anymore?

There is nothing wrong with the existing title. It says simply that a dog was killed on board UA flight (in cabin). That does not point blame at anyone.

Ok, try this for size.
"Man killed onboard Untied Airlines flight"
Today, and elderly man with a history of breathing problems suffered a heart attack during a Untied Airlines flight. Witnesses say the man did not speak any English and may have been confused and stressed by the Flight Attendants instructions. He then quietly fell asleep, but passed away at some point during the flight, which was only noticed when he failed to respond after landing.
Situation sound familiar?
Still happy that killed or died are the same thing? :banghead:

Well, if you are going to be super picky on writing you might at least spell the name of the airline correctly. The ultimate result is the same: the person, creature, animal or whatever is still dead. It is maddening that this poor creature is dead and all you lot want to do is argue over the wording of a title. Unbelievable. The wording of the title seems insignificant in the greater scheme of things.

The rules should never allow any living creature to be carried inside a locker. Ever. If the bag won't fit underneath the seat, the passenger, luggage and animal should be taken off the plane and some alternative arrangements found with the sincerest of apologies.
Last edited by cpd on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

flyboy_se

Re: Dog Dies in Overhead Bin on United Airlines Flight

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:31 am

Many airlines ban transportation of brachycephalic breed dogs, because so many of these dogs have died during transport. These breeds are known to overheat and have a breathing problem. Although the bins are not air tight, it is certainly less air than in the cabin, so this may have been enough to suffocate the dog. It could be also bags shifting during take off and landing that stressed the dog out.

From the picture in the article, it is easy to see it is a pet carrier. I am not sure what the policy on different airlines is regarding pet in the overheard bins, maybe some crew here can tell us. Considering the bags shift during take off and landing, It sounds like it is not a good place for animals.

This is really sad news. The FA must be feeling horrible about this, as I am sure he/she did not want to have a dog killed. As per the article the FA said they did not know a dog was in the bag. Although from the picture it clearly looks like a pet carrier, it could be during the stress to get the flight out the FA did not see it properly.

As for the passenger, they must be devastated as well. But having this sort of dog, more should have been done to check on it during the 3+ hour flight.
The passenger was travelling with a child, infant and a pet. This seems like too much to keep track on for one person.
I prefer to be crazy and happy rather than normal and bitter

F27500

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:31 am

ASFlyer wrote:
F27500 wrote:

You're just totally rewriting a story to match your narrative, aren't you? Go back and look at the video of that AA FA you're speaking of and point out where he threatened the pax. It was the other way around actually. The FA stupidly told the passenger threatening to knock him out to "go ahead". As the story has been told by other passengers on the plane, the FA grabbed the stroller from the overhead bin and, in doing so, accidentally grazed the shoulder of the woman trying to bring it on, despite having been told she wasn't allowed to. The woman was a drama queen. But, by all means, so you can totally demean an entire group of people, create your own story to match your narrative. It's kind of what we do in this country now anyway.

Oh, and who cares about having a "good case". Demand that the Captain get involved - surely there aren't going to be two people on the same plane (or hopefully at the same airline) that would require anyone to stow their animal in the overhead bin.

Wrong. They were boarding ... so how would her stroller already be in the the overhead? He was trying to prevent her from taking it on board as she stepped onto the plane .. she was still at the boarding door when the cowboy FA flexed his big boy "muscles". . on a woman. And the pax was being a drama queen? So what? A large part of a FA's job IS customer service ... whether or not you (or they) want to admit that ... so he was in the wrong. And AA felt so too because the fool got suspended ... so ......

And as for your second "point" ... you made no sense there ... so IDK what u meant.

bob75013

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:34 am

Want to know what June Lara really said?. OK

"Today, I boarded my first United Airlines flight.

On my way, I saw a Frenchie that looked identical to my own precious Winston. He was with his family - a young girl, no older than 8, her toddler sibling and their mother. He was meant to grow, learn, cry, play with those young children and be their furry friend. He was meant to live a long life filling that family's days with that special joy that only a dog can bring.

I sat behind the family of three and thought myself lucky - who doesn't when they get to sit near a puppy? However, the flight attendants of flight UA1284 felt that the innocent animal was better off crammed inside the overhead container without air and water. They INSISTED that the puppy be locked up for three hours without any kind of airflow. They assured the safety of the family's pet so wearily, the mother agreed.

There was no sound as we landed and opened his kennel. There was no movement as his family called his name. I held her baby as the motherattempted to resuscitate their 10 month old puppy. I cried with them three minutes later as she sobbed over his lifeless body. My heart broke with theirs as I realized he was gone.

The Humane Society of the U.S. says air travel can be risky for pets and especially dangerous for brachycephalic breeds — such as pugs or bulldogs, whose short nasal passages make them vulnerable to oxygen deprivation and heat stroke. This little guy fought hard for his life, filling our flight with his cries until he finally ran out of breath. United Airlines does not care about the safety of their furry travelers. This poor family paid $125 for their pet to be murdered in front of them. There is no excuse for the pain this family is suffering.

Today, I boarded my last United Airlines flight.

R.I.P Papacito "

Warning, dead dog pic in the article

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 1510687550

dragon6172

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:35 am

F27500 wrote:

Do we know the dogs cause of death yet?

bob75013 wrote:
This little guy fought hard for his life, filling our flight with his cries until he finally ran out of breath.

No one thought to check on the dog when he stopped barking? Or at all for 3+ hours?
Phrogs Phorever

ltbewr

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:35 am

We all know this is going to lead to a lawsuit that UA cannot win and will likely make a quiet settlement with a NDA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos