• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 10
 
User avatar
GlobalAirways
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:03 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:54 pm

An overhead bin is not right place for a dog? But in the cargo hold it is? We don't know why the dog died and unless an autopsy is preformed by a neutral party we can't really point fingers. I also don't think the flight attendants intention was to harm or kill the animal and we don't know the whole background to this story. I think I read somewhere that it was a French Bulldog which if it had an infection and was under stress at altitude... I mean who knows?
 
User avatar
OA412
Moderator
Posts: 4477
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:54 pm

LHUSA wrote:
OA412 wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:
Well see if the facts do emerge, but this has the hallmarks of a tragic miscommunication. The most logical reason at this point is that the FA didn't know there was a dog in the carrier.

From the article in OP's post (emphasis added):
"I witnessed a United flight attendant instruct a woman to put her dog carrier with live dog in an overhead bin. The passenger adamantly pushed back, sharing verbally that her dog was in the bag. The flight attendant continued to ask the passenger to do it, and she eventually complied."


And yet in another blog online, the pet owner states she herself did not question the FA's request. Let's just wait for some more facts to come out.

UA has accepted full responsibility for the dog's death. If the carrier is fine with doing so, I'd say the facts as already presented are pretty accurate and the FA did act inappropriately.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
User avatar
ro1960
Posts: 972
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:19 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:00 pm

Do we know for sure the dog was alive before the incident?
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports
 
77H
Posts: 1090
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:04 pm

F27500 wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
Even though they are not air tight, they also probably don't get enough air circulation. Remember, when they are packed full of bags and jackets, that is even. Less space for air. So it's entirely possible that it could have suffocated from a combination of increased altitude, and a slow rise in CO2 not being replinshed by enough circulating air.

We shall see what the reports say when the investigations are done.


The poor pup's neck could also have been snapped when the bin door was slammed shut too - which is something Id like to see happen to this FA.


Real classy... Advocating the death of someone without knowing the full story which is evident as you're hypothesizing cause of death.

People like you, ignorantly running your mouth, spreading hate and wishing death on others is exactly whats wrong with society these days.

77H
Last edited by 77H on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
MSPNWA
Posts: 2652
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:48 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:06 pm

OA412 wrote:
UA has accepted full responsibility for the dog's death. If the carrier is fine with doing so, I'd say the facts as already presented are pretty accurate and the FA did act inappropriately.


Accepting responsibility proves nothing about what people knew or didn't know and if this anything more than a very unfortunate accident.
 
hoons90
Topic Author
Posts: 3404
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:15 pm

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:06 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
F27500 wrote:
Well, what else would be IN a dog carrier? And the woman did tell the idiot FA that there was a dog in there .. . did you read the article at all ??

OA412 wrote:
From the article in OP's post (emphasis added):
"I witnessed a United flight attendant instruct a woman to put her dog carrier with live dog in an overhead bin. The passenger adamantly pushed back, sharing verbally that her dog was in the bag. The flight attendant continued to ask the passenger to do it, and she eventually complied."


Case in point. Both of you are highlighting the issue I just mentioned with the mob. You're wrongly assuming the FA KNEW it was a pet carrier with a pet based on the reported words of someone who isn't the FA or even the pet owner. We don't know if the FA actually knew it was a pet carrier with a dog in it and maybe never will.


The flight attendant denied knowing it was a dog, but the man seated next to me said he heard the flight attendant respond to the passenger “you need to put your dog up here” – therefore admitting that she knew an animal was in there.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.
 
buzzard302
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:06 pm

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:14 pm

It was a French bulldog. Those dogs have bad anxiety and respiratory problems. The dog was likely freaked out that it got stuck in a closed overhead bin. It panicked. These French bulldogs have an issue where their trachea collapses. I would bet the dog panicked and suffocated to death.
 
F27500
Posts: 528
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:22 pm

77H wrote:
F27500 wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
Even though they are not air tight, they also probably don't get enough air circulation. Remember, when they are packed full of bags and jackets, that is even. Less space for air. So it's entirely possible that it could have suffocated from a combination of increased altitude, and a slow rise in CO2 not being replinshed by enough circulating air.

We shall see what the reports say when the investigations are done.


The poor pup's neck could also have been snapped when the bin door was slammed shut too - which is something Id like to see happen to this FA.


Real classy... Advocating the death of someone without knowing the full story which is evident as you're hypothesizing cause of death.

People like you, ignorantly running your mouth, spreading hate and wishing death on others is exactly whats wrong with society these days.

77H


Well, I'm glad you have everyone (and society) .. all figured out. But had that been your dog, I think you'd feel differently.
 
User avatar
thebatman
Posts: 848
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:15 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:23 pm

seat1a wrote:

No one cares that you're greatly offended. No one


Wonderful to see the caliber of people getting onto my airplanes that I work so hard to keep safe. Notice I didn't quote the rest of your tirade because apparently no one cares about your opinions on A.net.

For the rest of you, I don't want to clog up the thread with banter but I do get rather defensive when the mistakes of a few become a reflection of an entire company. Mistakes happen on EVERY airline, EVERY day. There are tens of thousands of UA employees that come to work every day and do the best that they can. There are so many behind-the-scenes people doing a great job that get no recognition. Am I going to stick up for them? You bet, even if I'm told that my opinion doesn't matter.
Aircraft mechanics - because pilots need heroes too!
 
MSPNWA
Posts: 2652
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:48 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:26 pm

What I find really strange and sad is there's reports of some passengers hearing some barking in flight. Why didn't the owner or somebody check on the dog, particularly if it's making barking noises?

hoons90 wrote:
.

Make it a third case in point. Now you're assuming all of this:

-the report is accurate
-the witness overheard this other man's recollection accurately
-this other man's recollection hours later of an exchange not involving him is accurate
-the reports from other passengers that don't indicate this exchange are either incomplete or inaccurate.
Last edited by MSPNWA on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 3953
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:27 pm

This is sad

Shocked it happened on United (sarcasm), what a train wreck that company is. Management should all be fired and replaced. How Oscar still has a job still is shocking, what a con artist.
 
User avatar
IrishAyes
Posts: 2402
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:04 pm

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:40 pm

breaks my heart to read this. however, i don't think that i could proceed with flying if i were instructed to place my pet in the overhead bin. that's just me, though. very sad to hear.
upcoming flights: JFK-MXP, JFK-KEF, DFW-MEX, BRU-KEF, KEF-DFW, JFK-LIS-RAK, RAK-CMN-LIS, LIS-PRG, PRG-MAD, MAD-LAX: Alitalia, Interjet, WOW Air, Icelandair, TAP Air Portugal, Royal Air Maroc, CSA Czech Airlines, Iberia.
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 8308
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:41 pm

jumbojet wrote:
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to come to the conclusion that MSPNWA only posts negatively about Delta. Any other airline immediately gets the benefit of the doubt and Delta is immediately thrown under the bus. I mean, how do you take someone like that seriously? Its to bad to because MSPNWA seems to be very knowledgeable about aviation related events and news. If he was more fair and impartial, I would actually enjoy reading what he writes.


Well if that isn’t the pot calling the kettle black, I don’t know what it is.
-Dave


”Yet somewhere in Iceland a great anger stirred in the soul of a troubled individual...” - Revelation
 
hoons90
Topic Author
Posts: 3404
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:15 pm

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:45 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
Make it a third case in point. Now you're assuming all of this:

-the report is accurate
-the witness overheard this other man's recollection accurately
-this other man's recollection hours later of an exchange not involving him is accurate
-the reports from other passengers that don't indicate this exchange are either incomplete or inaccurate.


Multiple witness corroborate that the passenger explicity expressed her reluctance to put the carrier in the overhead bin, directly to the flight attendant, on account of her dog being inside.

I guess witness accounts are only legitimate on Delta, in your books?
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.
 
jumbojet
Posts: 2481
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:49 pm

hoons90 wrote:
[Multiple witness corroborate that the passenger explicity expressed her reluctance to put the carrier in the overhead bin, directly to the flight attendant, on account of her dog being inside.

I guess witness accounts are only legitimate on Delta, in your books?


Multiple witnesses sounds pretty supportive to substantiate the complainants claims.

This pretty much undoes and unwinds everything United has tried to do to win back customer support since the Dao incident. They almost made it a whole year.
Last edited by jumbojet on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
smokeybandit
Posts: 838
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:24 pm

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:50 pm

Gotta be more to this story, at least as far as the death of the dog.

Surely those overhead bins aren't air tight or super hot.
 
jumbojet
Posts: 2481
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:51 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
Gotta be more to this story, at least as far as the death of the dog.

Surely those overhead bins aren't air tight or super hot.


That shouldnt matter. A dog doesnt belong in the OHB. Period.
 
PixelPilot
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:52 pm

thebatman wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Right because you're an only you are in charge of maintaining and operating the aircraft. i think you just proved his point. :banghead:


That makes no sense. Keep bashing your head against that wall, maybe it will help.


Actually it does, which is why you're not getting it apparently.
 
blockski
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:57 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
Gotta be more to this story, at least as far as the death of the dog.

Surely those overhead bins aren't air tight or super hot.


No, not really. French Bulldogs have notorious respiratory issues and are known to overheat and overexert themselves very easily.

https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/Pag ... -FAQs.aspx
 
User avatar
thebatman
Posts: 848
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:15 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:58 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
thebatman wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Right because you're an only you are in charge of maintaining and operating the aircraft. i think you just proved his point. :banghead:


That makes no sense. Keep bashing your head against that wall, maybe it will help.


Actually it does, which is why you're not getting it apparently.


Wow, I guess I need to go back to grammar school, because I believe that "you're an only you are in charge..." makes no sense. Either "you're in charge" which I'm not, "you and only you are in charge", which is inaccurate, or "you're an ---" which was not said either. So, the statement makes no sense. But hey, who cares! My opinion doesn't matter today!
Aircraft mechanics - because pilots need heroes too!
 
jumbojet
Posts: 2481
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:05 pm

thebatman wrote:
[. Mistakes happen on EVERY airline, EVERY day.


True but when United screws up, they take the cake. They leave the rest in the dust.
 
PixelPilot
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:07 pm

thebatman wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
thebatman wrote:

That makes no sense. Keep bashing your head against that wall, maybe it will help.


Actually it does, which is why you're not getting it apparently.


Wow, I guess I need to go back to grammar school, because I believe that "you're an only you are in charge..." makes no sense. Either "you're in charge" which I'm not, "you and only you are in charge", which is inaccurate, or "you're an ---" which was not said either. So, the statement makes no sense. But hey, who cares! My opinion doesn't matter today!


Are you really telling me you are unable to understand what he meant?
Might not be perfect grammar but c'mon.
 
stlgph
Posts: 10420
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:18 pm

This isn't just United Airlines, this is a whole flipping bunch of stupid across the board.

Flight crew, the family transporting the dog, and anyone on that flight witnessing this and hearing the thing bark to death.

Holy great balls of stupidity.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
MSPNWA
Posts: 2652
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:48 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:26 pm

hoons90 wrote:
Multiple witness corroborate that the passenger explicity expressed her reluctance to put the carrier in the overhead bin, directly to the flight attendant, on account of her dog being inside.


I've read about a dozen articles on the incident. I've found just one named witness that's made a claim that indicates the FA knew the entirety of the situation - June Lara. That fact that a second, Maggi Gremminger, said the passenger resisted does not tell us that the FA fully comprehended the situation. You're still assuming things that are not known. I've been in countless boarding situations where chaos reigns and passengers and crew aren't on the same page. Neither are doing anything "wrong".

Honest question: do you care more about getting the facts, or do you care more about who gets blamed? I think it's disgusting that people instantly use awful events to play the blame game against certain entities. I don't believe they actually care that the dog died or the family and crew that now have to deal with it. They only care about who gets the flak--rightly or wrongly.
Last edited by MSPNWA on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
IndyHoosier
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:35 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:29 pm

F27500 wrote:
OA412 wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:
Well see if the facts do emerge, but this has the hallmarks of a tragic miscommunication. The most logical reason at this point is that the FA didn't know there was a dog in the carrier.

From the article in OP's post (emphasis added):
"I witnessed a United flight attendant instruct a woman to put her dog carrier with live dog in an overhead bin. The passenger adamantly pushed back, sharing verbally that her dog was in the bag. The flight attendant continued to ask the passenger to do it, and she eventually complied."



Thank you for posting that.. Maybe MSPNWA will let it sink in and believe it now that its coming from a Moderator.

He's another one of that typical type on here who will ignore facts and always side with the airline employee -- in spite of how obvious it was to everyone that they're at fault.


I've noticed that as well.
 
77H
Posts: 1090
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:30 pm

F27500 wrote:
77H wrote:
F27500 wrote:

The poor pup's neck could also have been snapped when the bin door was slammed shut too - which is something Id like to see happen to this FA.


Real classy... Advocating the death of someone without knowing the full story which is evident as you're hypothesizing cause of death.

People like you, ignorantly running your mouth, spreading hate and wishing death on others is exactly whats wrong with society these days.

77H


Well, I'm glad you have everyone (and society) .. all figured out. But had that been your dog, I think you'd feel differently.


Even if it were my dog, I wouldn't advocate killing another person. If it was my dog and I was being told to do something with my dog that could put it in harms way, I would have gotten off the plane. In my opinion its really that simple. The FA was in the wrong, no doubt, giving that specific direction to a customer. But as the owner of the animal, one would think you would act in the best interest of your animal, even it if meant incoveniencing yourself to rectify the matter in the terminal with a supervisor or manager.

That said, was it your dog? I guess I'm curious to know how you feel so strongly about a strangers dog to advocate "snapping the FA's neck"? Or is it just rhetoric you spew because you're hiding behind a computer screen?

It amazes me how people here are so willing to pass judgement without knowing all the facts. Did you know you can sympathize and empathize with the pet owner without condemning the opposing side? While it seems like common sense not to put a pet in the overhead, this specific incident may have never come up before, meaning there simply may not be a regulation or company policy against doing it. Sometimes it takes tragedies to bring about regulations and policies.

77H
Last edited by 77H on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 6007
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:33 pm

I'm not not blaming the FA, but how old was the dog? Did it have a medical condition?

Totally unrelated sidebar, it chaps my ass that animals are gaining more rights than humans these days. My best friend is a staunch animal rights supporter. We had a very heated discussion about putting animals in the hold, and I mentioned that AA 757 that was grounded because a pit bull chewed through wiring after breaking out of its kennel. She refused to believe me when I said it's nearly impossible for someone to condition their dog to be placed in a cargo hold, especially for long haul.

If you want to better the odds of your animal surviving a trip, tranquilizers them, for the sake of them, you, other humans, and the aircraft itself. People don't realize that air travel is hard enough on a human body, much less an animals.
You know all is right is the world when the only thing people worry about is if the president had sex with a pornstar.


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
bob75013
Posts: 455
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:05 pm

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:33 pm

thebatman wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
thebatman wrote:

That makes no sense. Keep bashing your head against that wall, maybe it will help.


Actually it does, which is why you're not getting it apparently.


Wow, I guess I need to go back to grammar school, because I believe that "you're an only you are in charge..." makes no sense. Either "you're in charge" which I'm not, "you and only you are in charge", which is inaccurate, or "you're an ---" which was not said either. So, the statement makes no sense. But hey, who cares! My opinion doesn't matter today!


Said the self professed front line United employee. Please grow up.
 
jumbojet
Posts: 2481
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:36 pm

I will give Oscar props for at least taking ownership of this tragedy. I half expected him to say something like, "great job team, way to keep that dog out of the passengers way". It does seem that UA is learning from its past misgivings.

“This was a tragic accident that should never have occurred, as pets should never be placed in the overhead bin,” the company said in a statement. “We assume full responsibility for this tragedy and express our deepest condolences to the family and are committed to supporting them.”


I don't know how UA can make this right though. I would imagine a lawsuit will follow very shortly followed by a 7 figure settlement.
 
jumbojet
Posts: 2481
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:37 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
I'm not not blaming the FA, but how old was the dog? Did it have a medical condition?

.


Doesn't matter if the dog was on a ventilator and 100 years old. Dogs don't belong in ANY OHB.
 
Redwood839
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:26 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:39 pm

I'm taking my 1y4mo Cocker Spaniel on United from MAN-EWR-SJO next week. I purposely chose United because of their PetSafe program. I've used it three times now and have always had a good experience with three different dog sizes. Also because I wanted to be on the same flights and this way there are two 5 hour flights with a stop instead of a 14 hour non stop trip.

My dog is small enough to travel in the cabin with me if I cared to pay for it (anyway, the UK won't allow it) and I would NEVER bring a pet with me in the cabin. If the dog is not fit to fly in the hold then it shouldn't go anywhere period unless required.

No disrespect to the owner and the tragic loss but I would never let an FA tell me to put my animal in the overhead bin even if I was going to get kicked out of the flight, that's just simply stupid and inhumane to allow as the owner.

Dogs are not allowed to be tranquillised in the hold or anything given to them. It is up to the owner/vet to decide if it will make it. I love my dog, she's part of my family and I'm moving there permanently, otherwise she'd be staying home far from any holds.
 
ASFlyer
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 1:25 pm

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:40 pm

As usual, the A.net jury and judges have tried and convicted based on a couple people's testimony and not hearing from the people actually involved as yet. With respect to the statement from United - at this point, what else can they say that isn't going to be a PR nightmare. Owning it, regardless of what "it" is, is the only acceptable thing for them to do given the state of their affairs recently. For me, I'll wait to hear the circumstances of the case from all concerned. What I know is that people routinely carry those black duffel bags on the airplanes with pets in them without notifying someone at the counter. They either don't know that there is a charge for doing so and just bring them on, or they try to sneak them by the boarding agent to avoid the fee- which is fairly easy to do. Those bags are easily mistaken as just another duffel bag so I can see where the FA would possibly tell them that the bag has to go in the overhead if it's not fitting all the way under the seat. What I don't get is the story from that point on because, regardless of popular opinion here, FA's that I know usually love animals (sometimes more than people) and would never tell someone to put their animal in an overhead bin - for a ton of different reasons. I also have some of the same questions as others here. The overhead bins aren't air tight and I can't imagine an animal suffocating up there, barring any crazy circumstances. But why would the woman just put the animal up there. If she told the FA it was a dog and the FA told her to do it anyway, I can only speak for myself but I would ask to speak to the Captain or a supervisor and wouldn't put the dog up there. You don't have to be combative to get your point across. If you're in the right, and the FA is wrong, then anyone the FA calls for support is going to tell the FA they are crazy. There has to be way more to the story than is being told here.
 
L410Turbolet
Posts: 5860
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 9:12 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:43 pm

nine4nine wrote:
As much as I love animals they belong at home not on planes.


Absolutely right. People act as if it was a must to own an animal, regardless what their lifestyle is.
 
ASFlyer
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 1:25 pm

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:44 pm

bob75013 wrote:
thebatman wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

Actually it does, which is why you're not getting it apparently.


Wow, I guess I need to go back to grammar school, because I believe that "you're an only you are in charge..." makes no sense. Either "you're in charge" which I'm not, "you and only you are in charge", which is inaccurate, or "you're an ---" which was not said either. So, the statement makes no sense. But hey, who cares! My opinion doesn't matter today!


Said the self professed front line United employee. Please grow up.


or why don't you grow up? Who cares if they're a UA employee? That doesn't make them a bad person. His original point was spot on.
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2018
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:46 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
I'm not not blaming the FA, but how old was the dog? Did it have a medical condition?

Totally unrelated sidebar, it chaps my ass that animals are gaining more rights than humans these days. My best friend is a staunch animal rights supporter. We had a very heated discussion about putting animals in the hold, and I mentioned that AA 757 that was grounded because a pit bull chewed through wiring after breaking out of its kennel. She refused to believe me when I said it's nearly impossible for someone to condition their dog to be placed in a cargo hold, especially for long haul.

If you want to better the odds of your animal surviving a trip, tranquilizers them, for the sake of them, you, other humans, and the aircraft itself. People don't realize that air travel is hard enough on a human body, much less an animals.


You obviously have never flown with a small dog in an airplane cabin. The websites for airlines specify that cabin pets must be carried in pet carriers that fits under the seat in front of the passenger, not the overhead bin. They also specify the maximum dimensions allowed. They also require documentation that the rabies vaccination is up to date. Some even require a recent note from a veterinarian that the animal is in good health and is fit to travel. Considering that pet owners pay considerable fees to airlines to bring pets in the cabin that weigh very little and add almost nothing to the cost of flying the plane, the cabin crew ought to at least be familiar with the rules. When my wife has carried small dogs in the cabin, I have made sure to print out a copy of the airline's rules for bringing pets in the cabin.
 
Redwood839
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:26 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:48 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
nine4nine wrote:
As much as I love animals they belong at home not on planes.


Absolutely right. People act as if it was a must to own an animal, regardless what their lifestyle is.


I respectfully disagree. I own my dog because I like the companionship and the friendship. She is part of my family and I would never dump her behind without finding a solution. My dogs travel in the hold cost me twice my ticket and I paid it with no issues because she means it, same as with many people.

Lifestyle has nothing to do with pet ownership.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 6007
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:50 pm

jumbojet wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
I'm not not blaming the FA, but how old was the dog? Did it have a medical condition?

.


Doesn't matter if the dog was on a ventilator and 100 years old. Dogs don't belong in ANY OHB.

Of course they dont, I should've clarified that. But unless it was crushed, it still should've survived. Similar to if it was in the hold.
You know all is right is the world when the only thing people worry about is if the president had sex with a pornstar.


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
AirCalSNA
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:50 pm

IrishAyes wrote:
breaks my heart to read this. however, i don't think that i could proceed with flying if i were instructed to place my pet in the overhead bin. that's just me, though. very sad to hear.


That's my thought ... I don't see how an adult with common sense could think it was a good idea to put a dog in an overhead bin, regardless of whether anyone is directing you to do it or not ... the passenger (assuming she is not now trying to lay blame after-the-fact) should have refused and taken a later flight. My brother and his wife flew roundtrip from So Cal to NYC last year with their dog in a carrier under their seats both ways and all had a great trip, so the problem is not the dog ... I think the owner is primarily at fault.

Btw, a more balanced and accurate title to this thread would be "Dog dies onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)." I don't think anyone set out to kill it.
 
jumbojet
Posts: 2481
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:55 pm

AirCalSNA wrote:
[That's my thought ... I don't see how an adult with common sense could think it was a good idea to put a dog in an overhead bin, regardless of whether anyone is directing you to do it or not ... t .


I think a lot of people are petrified of disobeying a flight attendants direct order and that if they do so they will get kicked off the plane. This however is not synonymous with United but with all airlines. Some are worse then others (United). This passenger I bet had the Dr. Dao incident floating around her head and felt it better not to dispute what the FA told her/him.
 
ozark1
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:38 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:57 pm

jmdc861 wrote:
All part of the mentality of flight attendants since September 11. You will do as I say! Disgusting!

I deeply resent your complete ignorance of our job and of the enormously hurtful comments regarding 9/11. It is very unfair to group all of us together like that and I feel truly sorry for you and your misplaced anger at the workgroup as a whole. Who said we're all perfect? We're not. And if I say something to you, it's most likely for your safety...but i'm sure you're one who rolls his eyes when I ask you to bring your seat back up for landing and stow your tray table. Good luck getting through your travels with such a huge chip on your shoulder.
 
ikramerica
Posts: 14458
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:58 pm

French bulldogs are not allowed as cargo due to their breathing problems and likelihood of death. They are a “defective” breed that only exists due to the cruelty of breeders and those who want such a dog. I’m not advocating for the death of these animals, but breeding should be banned. One way to achieve this is to decertify the breed (and similar breeds) at the Kennel Clubs, or to decertify the breed to favor healthy variations and to disqualify the current unhealthy variants.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.
 
hoons90
Topic Author
Posts: 3404
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:15 pm

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:04 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
hoons90 wrote:
Multiple witness corroborate that the passenger explicity expressed her reluctance to put the carrier in the overhead bin, directly to the flight attendant, on account of her dog being inside.


I've read about a dozen articles on the incident. I've found just one named witness that's made a claim that indicates the FA knew the entirety of the situation - June Lara. That fact that a second, Maggi Gremminger, said the passenger resisted does not tell us that the FA fully comprehended the situation. You're still assuming things that are not known. I've been in countless boarding situations where chaos reigns and passengers and crew aren't on the same page. Neither are doing anything "wrong".

Honest question: do you care more about getting the facts, or do you care more about who gets blamed? I think it's disgusting that people instantly use awful events to play the blame game against certain entities. I don't believe they actually care that the dog died or the family and crew that now have to deal with it. They only care about who gets the flak--rightly or wrongly.


If the witness, June Lara, was seated in the immediate vicinity and provided a first hand account of what she saw and heard, that's not hearsay. Stories can get distorted and twisted as they are handed down from person to person, but her story is at the top of the chain.

I also don't know what she can personally gain from embellishing the story, so I'm inclined to believe her side of the story. If you're saying that United has a bunch of customers (who happened to be at the exact right place at the right time) that hate the company so much and are willing to go to such lengths to sling mud at the company, then United has bigger problems to worry about.

Care about who gets the blame? Everyone should! It's not just a minor detail.
Last edited by hoons90 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.
 
Amiga500
Posts: 1663
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:22 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:06 pm

And the usual clapping seals come out.

"Airline can do no wrong". "Need both sides of the story". "Sounds suspicious". blah blah blah.

Basically, it would appear that there is a relatively high proportion of UA flight attendants that are simply put too stupid to be entrusted with keeping the passengers on their aircraft safe.

This FA (and the ones that had the guy removed by the cavemen a while back) should simply be fired - no retraining - they are simply not of a high enough IQ to be in that position of responsibility.
 
77H
Posts: 1090
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:07 pm

jumbojet wrote:
AirCalSNA wrote:
[That's my thought ... I don't see how an adult with common sense could think it was a good idea to put a dog in an overhead bin, regardless of whether anyone is directing you to do it or not ... t .


I think a lot of people are petrified of disobeying a flight attendants direct order and that if they do so they will get kicked off the plane. This however is not synonymous with United but with all airlines. Some are worse then others (United). This passenger I bet had the Dr. Dao incident floating around her head and felt it better not to dispute what the FA told her/him.


You can disagree with airline staff in a way that is not combative as ASflyer has said. You can politely ask to speak to the captain, or ask to speak to a supervisor or manager inside the terminal. Not advocating for the FA or the airlines here but as a soverign adult individual, you cannot just abandon personal responsibility. As the owner of a pet, you hold the utmost responsbility for it's wellbeing. If anyone is asking you to do something that might put your pet in harms way, it is ultimately your responsbility to advocate for your animal even it if causes an inconvenience to you. You can always seek restitution for the inconvenience at a later time. At this point, no amount of money will bring the animal back.

77H
 
77H
Posts: 1090
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:13 pm

Amiga500 wrote:
And the usual clapping seals come out.

"Airline can do no wrong". "Need both sides of the story". "Sounds suspicious". blah blah blah.

Basically, it would appear that there is a relatively high proportion of UA flight attendants that are simply put too stupid to be entrusted with keeping the passengers on their aircraft safe.

This FA (and the ones that had the guy removed by the cavemen a while back) should simply be fired - no retraining - they are simply not of a high enough IQ to be in that position of responsibility.


So that we get this straight, you're fine with passing judgement without finding out the full story?
If I were to make any sort of allegation against you, you're fine with being prosecuted and judged based on only my side of the story?
I seriously hope you're not employed in the legal system. And if you're ever caught in the cross-hairs of a legal dispute, I'd love to be in jury pool on your case. I'd have a field day.

77H
 
ual763
Posts: 632
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:46 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:13 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
This is sad

Shocked it happened on United (sarcasm), what a train wreck that company is. Management should all be fired and replaced. How Oscar still has a job still is shocking, what a con artist.


Yes, because your airline and every other airline have never done any wrong....
From flying to the NOTAM office
 
L410Turbolet
Posts: 5860
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 9:12 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:15 pm

Redwood839 wrote:
L410Turbolet wrote:
nine4nine wrote:
As much as I love animals they belong at home not on planes.


Absolutely right. People act as if it was a must to own an animal, regardless what their lifestyle is.


I respectfully disagree. I own my dog because I like the companionship and the friendship. She is part of my family and I would never dump her behind without finding a solution. My dogs travel in the hold cost me twice my ticket and I paid it with no issues because she means it, same as with many people.

Lifestyle has nothing to do with pet ownership.


Of course it does. Loving animals ≠ owning animals. Sometimes I have to shake my head in disbelief at what ordeals alleged pet owners are willing to put those poor animals through. That includes air travel. Their efforts to rationalize their selfishness and inconsideration towards another living creature and lame excuses they make my head just spin.
Precisely because I love animals (and don't want to suport the whole highly unethical business of dog breeding) I do not own them. I love dolphins, using your logic having one in my bath tub and calling it "family member" would be perfectly fine.
 
ridgid727
Posts: 1054
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:58 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:16 pm

In 2010 the US DEpt of Transportation said short nosed dogs are likely to die during airplane travel. https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/Pag ... -FAQs.aspx
 
F27500
Posts: 528
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:16 pm

thebatman wrote:
seat1a wrote:

No one cares that you're greatly offended. No one


Wonderful to see the caliber of people getting onto my airplanes that I work so hard to keep safe. Notice I didn't quote the rest of your tirade because apparently no one cares about your opinions on A.net.

For the rest of you, I don't want to clog up the thread with banter but I do get rather defensive when the mistakes of a few become a reflection of an entire company. Mistakes happen on EVERY airline, EVERY day. There are tens of thousands of UA employees that come to work every day and do the best that they can. There are so many behind-the-scenes people doing a great job that get no recognition. Am I going to stick up for them? You bet, even if I'm told that my opinion doesn't matter.



Agree with you. Its not about United. Its about the stupidity and bullying of one employee (and I am pleased to hear you use the term 'mistake' too .. being an employee of that airline).

This was clearly a bad employee with bad judgement. They are at every airline. And hotel. And hospital. And store. And ... and ... and ....
 
klm617
Posts: 2999
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Dog killed onboard United Airlines flight (in cabin)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:22 pm

This is just not a United issue. Sine all this consolidation and making three very powerful carriers employees for the most part have taken a very authoritative stance towards customers. In most cases there is little or no concern for the customer and their over all experience. Remember when you comment not everyone takes flight once a week like most of you do or understands the in's and outs of todays airline travel and there needs to be more tolerance for that in the business rather than a sit down and shut up attitude that is taken towards customers now.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 10

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos