Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

questions
Topic Author

Re: What Has Oscar Munoz Accomplished During His Tenure At UA?

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:55 pm

People have mentioned that bringing in Kirby is a positive. Part of a leaders job is to bring in the right talent and build a team that can execute the organization's strategy. Are there any other examples that the right talent has been promoted or brought in from the outside?

jayunited

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:31 pm

To be honest I don't think Oscan Munoz is the problem with United. It is far to easy to just blame the CEO and say he is to blame it sort of like blaming the coach with a team fails to perform.
United's 80,000 plus employees (myself included) need to stop and take a hard look in the mirror and say we are the problem. They can replace Oscar tomorrow but it will not change the culture at United. United has a an extremely large number of senior employees that are angry, bitter, tired and simply no longer care about the customer, their job is nothing more than a pay check. The problem isn't Oscar in fact in my opinion Oscar has done a terrific job at trying to change the culture here at UA but he is just one man the question is what has each individual employee done to change the culture here at UA. Two years ago a friend of mines was hired as a UA flight attendant he mainly works domestic trips out of ORD but he will pick up international trips if he can out of EWR because he is on the sCO side. Last year after he picked up a EWR-CDG trip he told me it was one of the worst flights he has even been on and he said he along with another new hire picked up the trip they were assigned to work coach midway through the flight the 2 new hires had already gone through the cabin offering water, juice and water to customers but when they where going to go back through the cabin again several flight attendants in the galleys told them to sit down they are making them look bad and lazy. He said one FA told him we only through the cabin once to offer drinks after the main meal service. If a passenger wants more water they can come to the galley or ring their FA call button this is the attitude of an FA and she was telling a new hire this its shameful. How many times have we heard this on a.netter and yet we the UA employees on this site come to the FA's and the companies defense. We must stop defending this type of behavior we need to stop providing safe haven to these bitter employees because the public is taking notice and they are noticing that UA is in the news far more than any other airlines for all the wrong reasons.
Oscar Munoz isn't at the check in counter, he isn't at the gate, he isn't on the ramp, he isn't the FA in the air, or the pilot at the controls, he isn't the mechanic, or the dispatcher, or any other employee whether front line or being the scene, he is the CEO one person one man. It is time for employees to change the culture and to understand that what ever their issue is with United (the company) that issue should never effect the service we give to our passengers. We should be showing up to work ready to give 200% to our passengers other airlines can give 100% UA we need to go farther than 100% because the public perception of us is so bad right now.
When employees show up to work with an I don't care attitude I'm just here for a pay check that will spillover and effect they way the customer is treated. I'm at the point right now where I feel like these bitter, angry employees need to retire, quit and go find a job that makes them happy. I don't know what United needs to do to weed out these bitter employees but something has to change and it is time for every employee to ask what can I do to fix the problem. But that isn't whats happening after UA announced a change to the bonus system changing it to a lottery system there were thousands of vile, angry, bitter responses on Flying Together. If I could I would post every single comment that was left on Flying Together on a.netter but doing so would cost me my job.

Oscar is not perfect and his leadership here has had its challenges but I don't think Oscar is the problem I think the problem is employees who no longer care, it is time for these employees to go.

jumbojet

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:59 am

jayunited wrote:
To be honest I don't think Oscan Munoz is the problem with United. It is far to easy to just blame the CEO and say he is to blame it sort of like blaming the coach with a team fails to perform.
United's 80,000 plus employees (myself included) need to stop and take a hard look in the mirror and say we are the problem. They can replace Oscar tomorrow but it will not change the culture at United. United has a an extremely large number of senior employees that are angry, bitter, tired and simply no longer care about the customer, their job is nothing more than a pay check. T

This. Said very perfectly.

In comparison, when the NYPD Police Commisioner said many years ago that policing was no longer about just stopping people and writing summonses for the sake of numbers, there were plenty of high ranking bosses that laughed and still expected the cops to write summoses and make arrests thus continuing to piss off and anger a vast number of NY'ers.

The PC made every top level cheif and Inspector attend specialized training in regards to activity and guess what, it worked somewhat but it still fell on def ears to a lot of the old timers. I'd say it took 4 years or so of the top level police officials to continually pound it into the big bosses that quality over activity wins the day crime fighting and gaining the trust of the citizens of NY. For those that still didn't want to listen, they were given transfers or forced to retire. Sounds like United has a similar issue.

77H

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:06 am

SteelChair wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
SteelChair wrote:
What have any american large airline leaders done of signifcance recently? Imho American corporations are the most over staffed and over compensated in the world, and no, I'm not a big Union guy.

Right now, a monkey leading a large airline could make billions. Customers still hate most airlines.

Have you thought through what your exact point in this (rather inane) statement actually is?
....if "a monkey could make billions," then what use/incentive would they have for making customers happy?

I'll spell it out for you: there is no incentive. The rise and fall of profitability of major airlines in the USA is independent of any actions by the airlines themselves .Exising airlines are hated and customers would use other options if they existed. Due to the 51% rule there is no other option.

Munoz and his peers at the other carriers are incompetent and hugely over compensated (compared to the rest of the world). Their staffs are hugely bloated due to patronage.

Clear enough?

You make it sound like the US3 are at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to global airlines. If recent memory serves, I've seen dozens of threads in the first 3 months of the year that lauded over airlines like SQ and CX are facing financially turbulent times say nothing about the likes of the EU3-4 where AF is always on the verge of operational melt down due to a strike and BA continues to slash product offerings becoming more and more like a LCC every day. Then you Alitalia that is on the brink of collapse. Depending on who you talk to, 2 of the 3 ME3 carriers are purportedly propped up by the government.

The issue is that people want to fly further than ever for the cheapest price possible. Americans love to complain about airline service and how horrible the likes of F9, G4 and NK are but those three airlines continue to grow at lightning pace while airlines like B6 are struggling and VX just got absorbed after years of posting losses. If people truly cared about service, the ULCC's and LCC's would be the carriers struggling and collapsing and the boutique carriers like B6 and VX would be racking in major profits. You can't have everything for nothing.

Beyond all that, I think most of the posters on here smearing the airlines and airline employees clearly don't work in the aviation industry. You must not people watch much when you're traveling do you? For every boneheaded action taken by a frontline airline employee, I've seen 20 rude, disgusting acts purportrated by fellow passengers.

77H

Super80Fan

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:27 am

Oscar isn't the problem, and allowed to do his thing, he would've been one of the greatest CEO's at the moment. UA has two core problems:

Scott Kirby - Should go without saying but this man needs to go the way of Lorenzo and out of the airline industry. He is nothing but bad news. When he (unfortunately) gains full control of UA, UA will turn into an ULCC with full service prices. I really hope this comes back to bite him and the airline

The employees - Let's face it, there are some great employees at UA along with the fact passengers now-a-days can be real PITA's. That being said, it doesn't help that many other UA employees treat the customer as the enemy/an inconvenience. While all airlines have this problem UA has some bitter, bitter people working for them that shouldn't be in a CS role.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

Flighty

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:52 am

jayunited wrote:
United's 80,000 plus employees (myself included) need to stop and take a hard look in the mirror and say we are the problem. They can replace Oscar tomorrow but it will not change the culture at United. United has a an extremely large number of senior employees that are angry, bitter, tired and simply no longer care about the customer, their job is nothing more than a pay check. The problem isn't Oscar in fact in my opinion Oscar has done a terrific job at trying to change the culture here at UA but he is just one man the question is what has each individual employee done to change the culture here at UA. Two years ago a friend of mines was hired as a UA flight attendant he mainly works domestic trips out of ORD but he will pick up international trips if he can out of EWR because he is on the sCO side. Last year after he picked up a EWR-CDG trip he told me it was one of the worst flights he has even been on and he said he along with another new hire picked up the trip they were assigned to work coach midway through the flight the 2 new hires had already gone through the cabin offering water, juice and water to customers but when they where going to go back through the cabin again several flight attendants in the galleys told them to sit down they are making them look bad and lazy. He said one FA told him we only through the cabin once to offer drinks after the main meal service. If a passenger wants more water they can come to the galley or ring their FA call button this is the attitude of an FA and she was telling a new hire this its shameful. How many times have we heard this on a.netter and yet we the UA employees on this site come to the FA's and the companies defense. We must stop defending this type of behavior we need to stop providing safe haven to these bitter employees because the public is taking notice and they are noticing that UA is in the news far more than any other airlines for all the wrong reasons.
Oscar Munoz isn't at the check in counter, he isn't at the gate, he isn't on the ramp, he isn't the FA in the air, or the pilot at the controls, he isn't the mechanic, or the dispatcher, or any other employee whether front line or being the scene, he is the CEO one person one man. It is time for employees to change the culture and to understand that what ever their issue is with United (the company) that issue should never effect the service we give to our passengers. We should be showing up to work ready to give 200% to our passengers other airlines can give 100% UA we need to go farther than 100% because the public perception of us is so bad right now.
When employees show up to work with an I don't care attitude I'm just here for a pay check that will spillover and effect they way the customer is treated. I'm at the point right now where I feel like these bitter, angry employees need to retire, quit and go find a job that makes them happy. I don't know what United needs to do to weed out these bitter employees but something has to change and it is time for every employee to ask what can I do to fix the problem. But that isn't whats happening after UA announced a change to the bonus system changing it to a lottery system there were thousands of vile, angry, bitter responses on Flying Together. If I could I would post every single comment that was left on Flying Together on a.netter but doing so would cost me my job.

Oscar is not perfect and his leadership here has had its challenges but I don't think Oscar is the problem I think the problem is employees who no longer care, it is time for these employees to go.

Couldn't agree more with this assessment. In today's world, customers notice under-performance, lethargy etc, and are shocked. It is shocking to see it. In the legacies, I saw an attitude I have never seen in the non-union business world, only in government. Nobody can fire me, it's all about me, and my feelings, not the customer's feelings. In other fields... even the top echelons of law, medicine, consulting, and certainly in hospitality.... if you don't hustle for the customer, and continually improve yourself, you aren't going to stay relevant. That's when it is time to retire.

The ability to be complacent and lazy goes straight to human nature and ruins everything. If you allow people to under-perform, people will soon declare it is their RIGHT to do so. Pilots are unionized, and yet, I do believe they enforce good job performance. FA and customer facing roles should also have enforced job performance. Not everybody is a success at what they do. It is all about finding a role where one can be successful. It's part of adult life I think, but some would disagree and say I am describing a corporate nightmare. It is clear that not everybody is on the same page about this. The capacity for people to hold and nurse a grudge is limitless.

At the end of the day, what I wish customer facing people would realize is what Kevin Spacey's character did in "American Beauty" - and what successful service economy pros do. If this is my job, I might as well do it with class. Providing excellent service doesn't "demean" me; it dignifies me, and it dignifies the customer.

And I agree 80-90% of problems / beefs are started by passengers. That's the job - and it's not easy - and not everyone can do it.

neomax

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:14 am

I think Munoz is the best thing that has happened to UA in a long time. UA has now become my go to airline of choice and they have made strides and leaps from where they were several years ago. For all the cuts to Polaris, the hard product still blows anything AA or DL has out of the water, the 787 fleet is pretty impressive, and they're the only US airline actively and consistently adding new long haul routes. They earned my trust and I'm happy to fly with them.

A lot of concerns people have about UA are absolutely legitimate but have nothing to do with UA. If Toyota makes a car and someone crashes it, does that make Toyota responsible? If a FA tells a pax to put a dog in the overhead, that's the FA, not UA. Blaming UA for a FA's mistake is like blaming Toyota for the driver being drunk behind the wheel. The Dao incident was a massive fuck up, but it was a massive fuck up by Chicago POLICE, not UA. I guarantee you not a single FA or UA employee would have brought the police if they knew what kind of force they were authorized to use. The misplaced dog at NRT was the result of a mislabeling by a third party over which UA had no control.

Now, I will admit that there are serious problems UA has to work on that they are directly at fault for. Systematically being the worst in the industry for animal deaths is telling and goes beyond an individual failure and is something UA rightfully deserves criticism for.

But one must also realize we live in an era of unparalleled sensationalism where the media does not have a shred of credibility. The media has reached a point of frenzy where it latches onto any possible story and blows it up to be the most cataclysmic event possible with wall to wall coverage of an event like it will result in the end of all humanity. They are in the business of making money, and will seize a bad reputation or stigma as an opportunity to get more views to generate insane levels of controversy that fuel a completely unwarranted fire. It's a recipe for disaster and is only magnified by the hypersensitivity of every pax with a cell phone who now feels like an empowered vigilante to get 15 minutes of fame.

UA is part of the problem, but PR disasters like the one that plague UA, and recently DL are more the result of an out of control media that disproportionately inflates a story's influence than the airlines themselves.

LAX772LR

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:30 am

SteelChair wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
SteelChair wrote:
What have any american large airline leaders done of signifcance recently? Imho American corporations are the most over staffed and over compensated in the world, and no, I'm not a big Union guy.

Right now, a monkey leading a large airline could make billions. Customers still hate most airlines.

Have you thought through what your exact point in this (rather inane) statement actually is?
....if "a monkey could make billions," then what use/incentive would they have for making customers happy?

I'll spell it out for you: there is no incentive. The rise and fall of profitability of major airlines in the USA is independent of any actions by the airlines themselves .Exising airlines are hated and customers would use other options if they existed. Due to the 51% rule there is no other option.

Munoz and his peers at the other carriers are incompetent and hugely over compensated (compared to the rest of the world). Their staffs are hugely bloated due to patronage.

Clear enough?

Nope, not really. It's actually more inane than your original statement was.... :razz:

What "other options" are not available to any customer who wants to pay for them?

What "51% rule" are you talking about: US ownership?
Remind me how many developed countries (or unions) lack similar.

77H wrote:
If people truly cared about service, the ULCC's and LCC's would be the carriers struggling and collapsing and the boutique carriers like B6 and VX would be racking in major profits.

^This. A thousand times, this.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

TheRedBaron

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:47 am

In my experience after so many bad experiences with United, I said I would never do it again, but heck I have flown 6 times since and I have had 3 wonderful experiences 2 so-so and one awful ....but the problem is that the employees are either a nightmare to deal with or wonderful and very service excellence oriented.... my problem with UA is the uncertainty .....
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

hoons90

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:23 am

neomax wrote:
Blaming UA for a FA's mistake is like blaming Toyota for the driver being drunk behind the wheel.

Every single employer of mine, past and present, including in the airline industry has made it abundantly clear that when I am on duty, and in uniform, I am representing the company and I am acting on behalf of the company. When a company responds to a complaint letter, they apologize as a company and not only on behalf of the individual staff members implicated in the complaint.

neomax wrote:
But one must also realize we live in an era of unparalleled sensationalism where the media does not have a shred of credibility. The media has reached a point of frenzy where it latches onto any possible story and blows it up to be the most cataclysmic event possible with wall to wall coverage of an event like it will result in the end of all humanity. They are in the business of making money, and will seize a bad reputation or stigma as an opportunity to get more views to generate insane levels of controversy that fuel a completely unwarranted fire. It's a recipe for disaster and is only magnified by the hypersensitivity of every pax with a cell phone who now feels like an empowered vigilante to get 15 minutes of fame.

It's human nature to want an injustice come to light and have it addressed. It's human nature to desire accountability.

neomax wrote:

UA is part of the problem, but PR disasters like the one that plague UA, and recently DL are more the result of an out of control media that disproportionately inflates a story's influence than the airlines themselves.

I'm not the biggest fan of the media, but at the same time, I'm not the biggest fan of monolithic and faceless corporations that throw customers under the bus. They need to be kept in check, and the little guy sometimes can't do it on his own.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

speedbird52

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:35 am

ual763 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
bgm wrote:

Blame Social Media and the "video first" culture if you ask me (Yes, that included the "Have to be the first person to take a video and stream it live during an emergency evacuation" type).

This is spot on. Really, it's sad how society has become. It just seems that people are not happy anymore. We now live in a World where people are willing, and able, to boycott entire companies and anything associated with them for such trivial things as "ending a relationship with NRA", "not ending a relationship with the NRA". "This airline hates animals, let's boycott them." "This shop will not take down the cross in their window, let's boycott them." It's just sad. The smart phone is directly responsible for this too. People don't live their lives anymore. Their heads are always down in their smartphones.

You're right man. Shoving a dog in a box isn't that big a deal. Nor is nearly beating a guy nearly to death for refusing to step off a flight that was his legal right to take.

gwrudolph

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:46 pm

Notwithstanding the media goof-ups, I would say that he has done a good job at turning United around. He has brought the workgroups together, reimstilled some sense of pride in the brand and in working for the Company, united workgroups, created a sense of direction and focus, brought in some great leadership, and started to deal with the difficult challenges associated with regaining market share in an environment where Wall Street is nervous about capacity discipline. I really do notice a difference and believe these (challenging) long term investments will make a differerence going forward. Having said that, I'm not sure he is the leader they need to take them to the next level (think 3-5 years out) and become a formidable competitor with a superior offering and the level of profitability they should be realizing with arguably the best route network and hubs of the US airlines

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:51 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkotter ... 587f4a7059

Perfectly titled Article in Forbes:
United Airlines - We Need To Talk. And It's Not Me, It's You.

http://www.businessinsider.com/wooff-bi ... ies-2018-3

Woof Bill ie the United Airlines stays in the press bill

Has the CEO made any statements on these recent issues? United is getting absolutely burned in the press, still. The just waiting it out idea seemed like a reasonable idea at the time, but they keep finding new ways to get back in the headlines so I'm not sure its working. Would an apology make any difference at this point from Oscar. He seems to be hiding, not sure if thats a good idea for the leader of a company that the public has decided needs to make major changes. Oscar might need to show some leadership qualities here.

Mitico12

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:28 pm

I think Oscar has 1 year left in his contract, and in my opinion, he walks away from UA at the end of his tenure. It's gonna be a mutual parting in my opinion - UA won't want him back and he won't come back. He will enjoy his retirement as a consultant somewhere in the service sector.

UA needs a change at the helm - and not just Oscar. They need someone who's worked his/her way up the ranks, who knows how an airline runs at the very heart of the operation. Someone charismatic and genuine, but who also knows what it takes to make an airline run.

I also think UA needs to change its livery, and do it ASAP to help change perception of the "old UA"...

gwrudolph

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:07 pm

Mitico12 wrote:
I think Oscar has 1 year left in his contract, and in my opinion, he walks away from UA at the end of his tenure. It's gonna be a mutual parting in my opinion - UA won't want him back and he won't come back. He will enjoy his retirement as a consultant somewhere in the service sector.

UA needs a change at the helm - and not just Oscar. They need someone who's worked his/her way up the ranks, who knows how an airline runs at the very heart of the operation. Someone charismatic and genuine, but who also knows what it takes to make an airline run.

I also think UA needs to change its livery, and do it ASAP to help change perception of the "old UA"...

Hmmm . . . sounds like Jim Goodwin and we all know how that one turned out . . .

TonyBurr

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:02 pm

jayunited wrote:

I think this is one of the BEST submission on this site. It is honest, realistic and balanced. I think the author really captures the reality of UA today. Thank you!

TonyBurr

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:03 pm

jayunited wrote:

I think this is one of the BEST submission on this site. It is honest, realistic and balanced. I think the author really captures the reality of UA today. Thank you!

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:16 pm

United Airlines......the public has an image in their head when you say that. Its not a good one right now. People think of animals dying, people being dragged down isles, bad customer service.

I think they need a .........we listened, we are changing campaign, new management, new designs. They need a total from worst to first transformation right now.

DBKissORD

Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:09 am

I had the opportunity to meet Oscar at a major event with top customers, staff and media. He had time for everyone, took pictures with everyone and was as happy to meet you as you were to meet him. He is part of the solution. In my opinion they need to really look at PR because they seem to pay a very high price for even minor miss steps.

The difference between a good and bad experience is usually down to one positive or negative employee interaction. They have to start getting those right every time. Yes even when senior employees got up on the wrong side of the bed that day.