eieoin
Topic Author

Aer Lingus announce new uniforms for Spring '19

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:43 pm

Aer Lingus have announced a long-due update to their staff's uniform.

The new design will be unveiled in Spring 2019. Louise Kennedy, the internationally-renowned Irish fashion designer who designed the current uniforms in 1998 will lead the design project.

Can we speculate further re-branding of the Irish flag carrier for 2019 and beyond (e.g: an update/replacement of their 1996 livery and logo, new advertising slogans, etc.)?

https://blog.aerlingus.com/new-uniform-designer/

eidvm

Re: Aer Lingus announce new uniforms for Spring '19

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:23 pm

From the press release it sounds like they'll be keeping green as the main theme of the uniform, will be exciting to see the style they go with, perhaps a hat for the female uniform.

Cunard

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:15 pm

British Airways are also supposed to be updating their uniforms for spring 2019, I wonder if it will the same uniform as in blue for British Airways and green for Aer Lingus.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

JannEejit

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:25 pm

eieoin wrote:

Can we speculate further re-branding of the Irish flag carrier for 2019 and beyond (e.g: an update/replacement of their 1996 livery and logo, new advertising slogans, etc.)?

Perhaps both BA and Aer Lingus will look at introducing a new livery, but please though don't let it follow recent trends of a painted tail on a predominately white fuselage with the airline name in small font. I think Aer Lingus have in the past considered a version of 'euro white' with a shamrock tail as the full fleet livery and not just on the odd short term leased 767 ?

alancostello

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:50 pm

JannEejit wrote:
eieoin wrote:

Perhaps both BA and Aer Lingus will look at introducing a new livery, but please though don't let it follow recent trends of a painted tail on a predominately white fuselage with the airline name in small font. I think Aer Lingus have in the past considered a version of 'euro white' with a shamrock tail as the full fleet livery and not just on the odd short term leased 767 ?

Some of the 757s were eurowhite with shamrock/titles for their first few months to get them in to service quickly, but were then repainted in full livery, I'm not aware of any previous plans to change the livery, nor really of any current plan to update it.

kaitak

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:55 pm

As I understand it, the plan is to do a total corporate identity overhaul, not just uniforms. It is intended that IAG carriers will have a similar livery, so that aircraft can be shared between them, in order to allow best use of assets. Thus, the new EI and ultimately, the new BA livery, will be similar in ways to the new IB livery.

JannEejit

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:36 pm

alancostello wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
eieoin wrote:

Some of the 757s were eurowhite with shamrock/titles for their first few months to get them in to service quickly, but were then repainted in full livery, I'm not aware of any previous plans to change the livery, nor really of any current plan to update it.

Yep, I do recall reading somewhere (possibly in one of the already published Aer Lingus history books I have) there was some boardroom discussion around the time they had the two 767's one of which was 'eurowhite' that they might adopt it as the fleet livery on the basis of economics. I believe it was however a very short discussion. If we're now looking at a simplified 'pan IAG' livery then I imagine something similar might rear it's ugly head...

oldannyboy

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:40 pm

kaitak wrote:
As I understand it, the plan is to do a total corporate identity overhaul, not just uniforms. It is intended that IAG carriers will have a similar livery, so that aircraft can be shared between them, in order to allow best use of assets. Thus, the new EI and ultimately, the new BA livery, will be similar in ways to the new IB livery.

OMG, what you just said I think is really powerfully and downright scary if true. IB's new 'livery' (if you really wanna call it that) is the new industry-benchmark for a "lack of corporate identity" being applied to an otherwise white fuselage.

Cunard

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:56 pm

I think that Kaitak is suggesting it more than anything else as nothing of what he writes has been talked about at IAG.

Both Aer Lingus and British Airways will have new uniforms for Spring 2019 that has been confirmed but nothing has been mentioned regarding an identity change and new liveries.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

kelual

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:12 pm

Seems the whole group is rebranding as IB is as well designing new uniforms

Cunard

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:21 pm

It's seems as if IAG have said ''We're order a few thousand of the new uniforms as long as we can have the same one in Blue, Green and Red''.

Phen

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:32 pm

kaitak wrote:
the new EI and ultimately, the new BA livery

I completely missed when this was announced - when are EI due to get a new livery??

Clydenairways

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:58 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
kaitak wrote:

OMG, what you just said I think is really powerfully and downright scary if true. IB's new 'livery' (if you really wanna call it that) is the new industry-benchmark for a "lack of corporate identity" being applied to an otherwise white fuselage.

Well look at the new LH livery. Perhaps eventually all liveries will end up this bland.

OA260

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:01 pm

eidvm wrote:
From the press release it sounds like they'll be keeping green as the main theme of the uniform, will be exciting to see the style they go with, perhaps a hat for the female uniform.

I predict nothing too drastic to be honest. Basically bringing the current one up to date with better quality. Of course the media hype will say different. The current one is poor quality and crew hate it.

S0Y

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:31 pm

kaitak wrote:

Surely that flies in the face of everything they said about maintaining separate brands. Either go full IAG and kill the other brands or else leave them to have their own look. EI/BA having a Green / BlueRed version of the IB livery makes no sense.

As for the uniforms, I doubt they will be the same across the brands. Louise Kennedy was in the media talking about how great it was to win this deal. Surely she would mention if she also had the full IAG contract given that it is exponentially larger than the EI piece.

Cunard

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:40 pm

Once again if you look back at my previous post regarding comments made by user KAITAK regarding a uniformed livery for IAG, nothing has been commented on about that by IAG just the new uniforms for Aer Lingus, British Airways and Iberia for spring 2019, we're jumping ahead of ourselves me thinks!

smi0006

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:53 pm

Cunard wrote:
It's seems as if IAG have said ''We're order a few thousand of the new uniforms as long as we can have the same one in Blue, Green and Red''.

I’d say that’s nostly close - working economies of scale they are moving to the same supplier for all three unicorns, even with different designs.

ClassicLover

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:02 pm

kaitak wrote:

Incorrect.

I recently was lectured to by people from IAG and this is not the case at all. All the IAG airlines do their own thing, to targets set to them by IAG of course and IAG helps out with things like fleet procurement.

The whole reason the IAG web site is in grey and white is because it is not a "brand" on its own. The airlines each have their own distinct brand and will continue to have their own distinct brand.

Aircraft sharing is of course a desire, but for that to happen each airline would need the same product on board. On short haul this is no problem and is basically happening bit by bit but long haul is a bit more problematic (EI has no Premium Economy for a start).

Meanwhile yes, about time new uniforms came along! I've been saying for years how hideous the current ones are. I'm very surprised their using the same designer from 20 years ago. Let's hope she's on trend and contemporary. I don't know anything at all about her and have never heard of her.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

shamrock350

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:51 pm

kaitak wrote:

Sorry Kaitak but where on Earth have you got this idea from?!

Aer Lingus considered a complete rebrand a couple of years ago but chose not to, opting instead to update the current image with new advertising and brand guidelines which resulted in the 'Smart Flies, Aer Lingus' campaign and the Irish Rugby sponsorship. The press release yesterday specifically mentions this process and that the new uniform just brings this full circle.

British Airways is getting a new uniform to mark its centenary and Iberia... well that's the first I'd heard of a new uniform for them for haven't a clue.

Considering Louise Kennedy is confirmed as designing the new Aer Lingus uniform, at most IAG could source the same suppliers but the actual design is clearly going to be individual to the airline.

As for livery, I find it very hard to believe that a standard livery just in different colours would bring much savings to IAG let alone make it easier to transfer aircraft from fleet to fleet, it's what's inside that counts not the livery.

ClassicLover wrote:
kaitak wrote:
Meanwhile yes, about time new uniforms came along! I've been saying for years how hideous the current ones are. I'm very surprised their using the same designer from 20 years ago. Let's hope she's on trend and contemporary. I don't know anything at all about her and have never heard of her.

Never heard of Louise Kennedy and regularly slate the uniform she designed? Ouch! :lol:

In all fairness she's pretty famous for her work, like most fashion designers some of it looks downright peculiar to me but most of it appears stylish and wearable, if horrendously overpriced! She has stores in Dublin, Brown Thomas, Kildare Village and London.

Some of her recent work:

A lot of her stuff appears light and bright, long lines, capes along with intricate pieces paired with bold solids. One problem is that she doesn't appear to do much menswear which may explain why the current male uniform is so horrible!

I'm not expecting something like Hainan's new uniform but Louise Kennedy has the talent to produce something excellent.

Orlaithdub

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:24 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
kaitak wrote:

Sorry Kaitak but where on Earth have you got this idea from?!

Aer Lingus considered a complete rebrand a couple of years ago but chose not to, opting instead to update the current image with new advertising and brand guidelines which resulted in the 'Smart Flies, Aer Lingus' campaign and the Irish Rugby sponsorship. The press release yesterday specifically mentions this process and that the new uniform just brings this full circle.

British Airways is getting a new uniform to mark its centenary and Iberia... well that's the first I'd heard of a new uniform for them for haven't a clue.

Considering Louise Kennedy is confirmed as designing the new Aer Lingus uniform, at most IAG could source the same suppliers but the actual design is clearly going to be individual to the airline.

As for livery, I find it very hard to believe that a standard livery just in different colours would bring much savings to IAG let alone make it easier to transfer aircraft from fleet to fleet, it's what's inside that counts not the livery.

ClassicLover wrote:
kaitak wrote:

Never heard of Louise Kennedy and regularly slate the uniform she designed? Ouch! :lol:

In all fairness she's pretty famous for her work, like most fashion designers some of it looks downright peculiar to me but most of it appears stylish and wearable, if horrendously overpriced! She has stores in Dublin, Brown Thomas, Kildare Village and London.

Some of her recent work:

A lot of her stuff appears light and bright, long lines, capes along with intricate pieces paired with bold solids. One problem is that she doesn't appear to do much menswear which may explain why the current male uniform is so horrible!

I'm not expecting something like Hainan's new uniform but Louise Kennedy has the talent to produce something excellent.

Shamrock350, Kaitak is the same person who was confirming that LHR early/late flights operated by Aer Lingus would be scrapped and operated by BA, and an a330 on the LHR route would be happening soon, when this wasn't even mentioned either by EI or IAG. I wouldn't believe on what he writes here. Always without a source and trying to avoid explanations.

OA260

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:27 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
kaitak wrote:

In fairness if you stand on Grafton Street and ask random people what they think of the current EI uniform and then ask who designed it I would guess only very few could name LK. Mike Rutter has said the new design will ''send a ripple throughout Ireland and far beyond''. It had better be good for all the hype thats being generated. Time will tell.

OA260

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:31 pm

Orlaithdub wrote:

Shamrock350, Kaitak is the same person who was confirming that LHR early/late flights operated by Aer Lingus would be scrapped and operated by BA, and an a330 on the LHR route would be happening soon, when this wasn't even mentioned either by EI or IAG. I wouldn't believe on what he writes here. Always without a source and trying to avoid explanations.

Your new here but Kaitak is a respected member of the Irish Aviation threads and has been for nearly two decades. It is a bit disrespectful to make that comment to be honest. Everyone on here has their own opinions and often inside information before it is even announced. Some of it never happens and some do thats the nature of the industry. Some things maybe no more then ideas and never get past the final stage.

flydude380

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:26 am

There’s nothing wrong with the current uniforms or liveries of either company! Don’t change them!

However, if they are to change the BA uniform, they should perhaps make it similar to BMI with the hat.

I also hope the uniforms will look and be comfortable to work in.

Skyblue39

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:15 am

OA260 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:

In fairness if you stand on Grafton Street and ask random people what they think of the current EI uniform and then ask who designed it I would guess only very few could name LK. Mike Rutter has said the new design will ''send a ripple throughout Ireland and far beyond''. It had better be good for all the hype thats being generated. Time will tell.

Sorry to disagree with you - random people may not I deed have heard of her. But for someone who frequents these forums, the Irish page and has a Travel Blog with industry familiarity to not know of LK whilst he berates her uniform design is not exactly aligned!

kaitak

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:13 am

Orlaithdub wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:
kaitak wrote:

I'm sorry if what I wrote - either about the LHR overnight or the new corporate ID - offends you. Don't pooh-pooh it until we know definitively that it's not going to be the case. I can't give sources, but as OA260 kindly points out, I have been here quite a while and I'm not given to making wild, unsubstantiated claims. If I am wrong, I apologise, but let's not throw stones or continue the pooh-poohing until we know exactly what's going to happen.

I didn't want to comment directly, but I thought I should say this, because as every fan of a certain BBC comedy knows, you never ignore a pooh-pooh!

Orlaithdub

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:22 pm

kaitak wrote:
Orlaithdub wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

I'm sorry if what I wrote - either about the LHR overnight or the new corporate ID - offends you. Don't pooh-pooh it until we know definitively that it's not going to be the case. I can't give sources, but as OA260 kindly points out, I have been here quite a while and I'm not given to making wild, unsubstantiated claims. If I am wrong, I apologise, but let's not throw stones or continue the pooh-poohing until we know exactly what's going to happen.

I didn't want to comment directly, but I thought I should say this, because as every fan of a certain BBC comedy knows, you never ignore a pooh-pooh!

It doesn't offend me at all and apologies if I am being rude by quoting something you had quoted before (the LHR flights and the fact you never got back to me).
Maybe for you it's just a comment on a forum but to say something like that, it's actually slightly worrying for people who may work as overnight engineers at LHR or who have been ground staff agents in the LHR station to EI for years, and many other points. I understand it's interesting to speculate, but in a bigger picture, it can affect or worry someone else's job security.

Jawaiiansky66

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:36 pm

Please bring back the awesome 1970's Shamrock livery...the one with the bright blue line running between the bright green and the dark green...brilliant.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... afke-1.jpg

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos