Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

9lflyguy
Topic Author

Emirates Flight Attendant Jumps From Aircraft in Apparent Suicide Attempt

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:48 pm

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... e-airport/

Pretty sad to see this news today. A lot of bad news in aviation recently. Prayers go out to the family.
Flown on: 319, 320, 321, 712, 722, 732, 733, 734, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 763, 772, CR2, CR7, CR9, DHA, D8B, D8C, D95, E140, E145, E170, E175, E190, M82, M88, M90, S340

Varsity1

Re: Emirates Flight Attendant Jumps From Aircraft in Apparent Suicide Attempt

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:50 pm

With how draconian the ME3 are, I'm surprised it even made the media.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

QueenoftheSkies

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:00 pm

Tragic....and the plane returned to Dubai with a 75 min delay? Wow.....

DDR

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:00 pm

So sad to hear this. Heartbreaking.

Emirates77W

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:28 pm

QueenoftheSkies wrote:

They shouldn't have operated the flight out of respect for the crew member. Can't imagine how the crew felt operating the flight back.

Hoping she recovers in hospital and is in good care.
Tomorrow thinks borders are so yesterday.

Fly Emirates. Hello Tomorrow.

jumbojet

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:47 pm

Maybe she thought the slide would deploy, she had images of that JetBlue flight attendant in her head. I believe she had a bottle of champagne in her hands.

jumbojet

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:50 pm

Emirates77W wrote:
QueenoftheSkies wrote:

They shouldn't have operated the flight out of respect for the crew member. Can't imagine how the crew felt operating the flight back.

Hard to recover when your DOA. RIP.

DeltaB717

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:52 pm

jumbojet wrote:
Emirates77W wrote:
QueenoftheSkies wrote:

Hard to recover when your DOA. RIP.

I don't think it's confirmed that she has died - there are reports she is in hospital in a critical condition and, likewise, there are reports she died, but nothing to confirm one way or the other.

Alphazone

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:55 pm

Emirates77W wrote:

Do you think, that this would have pleased the passengers, or helped the airline's operation at all?

With great sympathy for all involved.
N664US The Spirit of Beijing
N670US World Plane - 50 Years Bridging the Pacific / The Alliance Spirit
N671US City of Detroit
N673US City of Tokyo
N674US City of Shanghai
N675NW Spirit of the Northwest People

Emirates77W

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:09 pm

Alphazone wrote:
Emirates77W wrote:

Do you think, that this would have pleased the passengers, or helped the airline's operation at all?

No. But under exceptional circumstances, such as this one, cancelling a flight out of respect for an employee who was unfortunately met with an incident would have been a good response.

Don't forget about the crew on board. One can only imagine what state of mind they were in flying back.
Tomorrow thinks borders are so yesterday.

Fly Emirates. Hello Tomorrow.

aemoreira1981

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:12 pm

santi319 wrote:
So does she get her passport back or EK will keep it??

I’m not sure she survived that jump.

jetblueguy22

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:21 pm

Emirates77W wrote:
Alphazone wrote:
Emirates77W wrote:

No. But under exceptional circumstances, such as this one, cancelling a flight out of respect for an employee who was unfortunately met with an incident would have been a good response.

Don't forget about the crew on board. One can only imagine what state of mind they were in flying back.

Doing things out of respect is a good thing, but cancelling purely out of respect for one person also neglects the affairs of the 300 people they were taking to DXB.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

brian415

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:21 pm

This article states that there may have been an argument (verbal exchange) with a colleague:

http://www.monitor.co.ug/News/National/ ... index.html

Another article says the FA is Bulgarian.

citationjet

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:57 pm

The Aviation Herald website is reporting that the plane was parked at the gate when she fell to the concrete below, and she is in critical condition.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

Alphazone

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:32 am

Emirates77W wrote:
Alphazone wrote:
Emirates77W wrote:

Think about the case of NW253, on which the crew was certainly more psychologically upset, as their lives were physically endangered. Yet they landed the plane without incident.

Obviously the flight continued as planned because the incident occurred not far from the planned destination. But had those events played out over the Atlantic, would you have had the flight divert because your assumption that the crew is traumatized and not suited to work the rest of the flight? And create a logistical headache for the customers and the airline alike?
N664US The Spirit of Beijing
N670US World Plane - 50 Years Bridging the Pacific / The Alliance Spirit
N671US City of Detroit
N673US City of Tokyo
N674US City of Shanghai
N675NW Spirit of the Northwest People

PerfectGriffin

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:36 am

That's sad. Although I'm not sure what more the airline could have done in this situation...

jumbojet

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:39 am

maybe she thought the side would deploy

hongkongflyer

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:22 am

She hold a glass bottle around her neck when she jumped from the plane,
more likely a suicide then an accident.

NYCVIE

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:30 am

Alphazone wrote:

Think about the case of NW253, on which the crew was certainly more psychologically upset, as their lives were physically endangered. Yet they landed the plane without incident.

Obviously the flight continued as planned because the incident occurred not far from the planned destination. But had those events played out over the Atlantic, would you have had the flight divert because your assumption that the crew is traumatized and not suited to work the rest of the flight? And create a logistical headache for the customers and the airline alike?

Well the crew of NW253 had no choice, plus they were already preparing for landing anyways. This is different but I agree that I can't imagine what cancelling the flight would have done. Better deal with the crew and their trauma at home in DXB then in EBB I think.

jumbojet

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:39 am

hongkongflyer wrote:
She hold a glass bottle around her neck when she jumped from the plane,
more likely a suicide then an accident.

I don't see how holding an unbroken bottle around your neck makes this a suicide. I mean, its not that far a fall from a 777 door to the ground. Surely if she wanted to off herself, she would have broken the bottle first, sliced her throat and then jumped. I think its completely plausible that she was going to pull a Steven Slater and slide down the emergency chute which never opened.

usflyer msp

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:45 am

I want to know who decided to take a photo instead of attempting to do first aid????

roadrunner165

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:44 am

jetblueguy22 wrote:
Emirates77W wrote:
Alphazone wrote:

Doing things out of respect is a good thing, but cancelling purely out of respect for one person also neglects the affairs of the 300 people they were taking to DXB.

Perhaps out of respect was a poor choice of words. But the flight should have been staffed with a different crew, and if a new crew wasn’t available, then the flight should have been canceled. Whether a tragic accident or suicide attempt or whatever, the crew should have been had a crisis counselor and debrief made available to them prior to resuming any of their duties. Any major business has a crisis plan — you don’t just ignore it because 300 people might be inconvenient.

mmo

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:19 am

Did anyone read the link? There was a SCHEDULED CREW CHANGE!!!
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

LAX772LR

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:32 am

usflyer msp wrote:
I want to know who decided to take a photo instead of attempting to do first aid????

Anyone who had a camera/phone handy, and didn't want potential liability.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Qatara340

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:37 am

Hope she recovers. People mustn't jump into conclusions that it was a suicide attempt; it could be very well an accident.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

Arion640

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:44 am

There was a crew change as stated.

While this was extremely sad, Emirates did the right thing by operating the return flight.

andrej

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:51 am

Sorry to hear this tragic news. If this was a suicide, it is a tragedy. Demons that drive a person to the commitment... . Nothing or nobody is worth it.

But cancelling outbound flight seems a little ridiculous. As already stated, crew change was scheduled (albeit not easy on them). Employees and colleagues can pay respects in DXB or company's HQ. But cancelling a flight and affecting hundreds of passengers would be out of the bounds. Accident did not occur on a plane (although it started on it; no need to keep on the ground), and people had a reason to travel on that specific day.

I am not surprised that Emirates wants to keep this our of the media. It is just bad PR and we don't know all the facts. Maybe Emirates had nothing to do with it, maybe it was a spur of the moment act or maybe the flight attendant had problems and 'had no other way out'. I am certain, that Emirates must offer some kind of help/helpline to affected employees (or is it just my wishful thinking?).

Finally, publishing the photo is in a poor taste (horrible journalism ethics).

PanHAM

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:04 am

usflyer msp wrote:

Even worse, which moron decided to publish the photo without pixeling out at least the face. Never heard of Human Rights obviously
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

ACDC8

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:05 am

One would think that the plane would be delayed longer than 75min in order to do a thorough investigation in such a tragic event.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

ltbewr

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:38 am

If this happened with an airline from or took place in most other areas of the world, most likely the aircraft would be grounded by local police and airline regulation officials for at least 1 full day for an investigation and the airline would have cancelled the flight, brought in another aircraft and crew.
This aircraft had to be parked and depressurized so the door could be opened, so there would be some chance this was an accident, that opened the door too soon before or after the jetway was removed.
Sadly due to the reputation the ME3 have as to staff, many here will jump to the conclusion it was a suicide attempt. It is also possible the F/A involved may have had underlying psychological/mental health issues and/or a conflict with a co-crew member that in her state of mind needed to escape from the A/C as soon as possible.

brian415

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:45 am

mmo wrote:
Did anyone read the link? There was a SCHEDULED CREW CHANGE!!!

It's unclear from the two news articles whether the earlier crew was still on the aircraft as the new crew boarded. Do original crews disembark before the new crew boards, as a matter of policy or regulation?

If there was intermingling of crews even for a few minutes, such that a new crew member witnessed what happened, both crews should be held for a criminal investigation and to ensure eyewitness accounts are recorded.
Last edited by brian415 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bavd

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:49 am

Varsity1 wrote:
With how draconian the ME3 are, I'm surprised it even made the media.

Yes, but otherwise the terms of employment are just fine.

brian415

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:50 am

PanHAM wrote:
Even worse, which moron decided to publish the photo without pixeling out at least the face. Never heard of Human Rights obviously

Yes, this is unconscionable by the Ugandan media outlet that published the photo!

zkojq

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:52 am

NYCVIE wrote:
Better deal with the crew and their trauma at home in DXB then in EBB I think.

This implies that EK is going to give the affected crew time off.
First to fly the 787-9

brian415

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:55 am

ltbewr wrote:
[..] This aircraft had to be parked and depressurized so the door could be opened, so there would be some chance this was an accident, that opened the door too soon before or after the jetway was removed. [..]

The FA fell from one of the aft doors, per the photo. There would be no jetways that connect to an aft door in a third world country.

ltbewr

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:06 am

brian415 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
[..] This aircraft had to be parked and depressurized so the door could be opened, so there would be some chance this was an accident, that opened the door too soon before or after the jetway was removed. [..]

The FA fell from one of the aft doors, per the photo. There would be no jetways that connect to an aft door in a third world country.

I would assume that the door is close to the aft service station so if an alleged conflict with another crew member it happened there.

brian415

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:22 am

ltbewr wrote:
I would assume that the door is close to the aft service station so if an alleged conflict with another crew member it happened there.

Some crew members are alleged to be ruthless and predatory towards its crewmates (per this story, though for a US-based carrier, and the incident is alleged to have happened offsite):
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... g-layover/

Ionosphere

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:14 am

brian415 wrote:
This article states that there may have been an argument (verbal exchange) with a colleague:

Another article says the FA is Bulgarian.

The article makes it sound like she was part of the crew taking the aircraft over in Entebbe.

scbriml

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:33 am

LAX772LR wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Anyone who had a camera/phone handy, and didn't want potential liability.

Didn't happen in America, so liability far less of a concern.

brian415 wrote:
PanHAM wrote:

Yes, this is unconscionable by the Ugandan media outlet that published the photo!

To 1st World western sensibilities maybe, but those don't apply in many parts of the World.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

vfw614

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:37 am

As per Ugandan media, the flight attendant has died:

What a sad story.

What height are we talking about? Except for really bad luck, it does not appear to be a non-survivable fall height-wise.

Aesma

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:46 am

It's not impossible that she wanted to use the slide, however as an F/A she was the best placed to know that it wasn't armed.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

PW100

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:59 pm

brian415 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Since most gates in the European and US theatre also don't have jetways that connect to an aft door, we should consider themselves as third world country?

OK OK. I understand that was (probably/hopefully) not your intention. But frankly, I don't see what relevance the words "third world country" would bring to the subject in hand in the first place.
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

F27500

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:12 pm

Did she really think that fall was gonna kill her ?? The Uganda hospital finished the job .. but still ... its not that big a drop to the ramp out of a 777 door. At best she was gonna just get really hurt.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:16 pm

F27500 wrote:
Did she really think that fall was gonna kill her ?? The Uganda hospital finished the job .. but still ... its not that big a drop to the ramp out of a 777 door. At best she was gonna just get really hurt.

OMG. People die from falling in a bathtub, and you think face planting from the height of a 777 door onto s concrete apron - allegedly holding a glass bottle under your chin - can not be fatal, or even considered likely fatal? Wow.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

sgbroimp

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:48 pm

Correct. Most any fall just wrong can break your neck and that is generally the end for you. Holding a glass bottle, if true, might bring the suicide aspect into question for some....

HHScot

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:12 pm

You are very unlikely to survive if you fall onto a hard surface from anything higher than 12 meters and if you land on anything other than your legs a much smaller height could be fatal. I'm not sure how high up that door is, but I wouldn't want to fall from it.
This is a really sad incident.

vfw614

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:30 pm

I'm not sure how high up that door is, but I wouldn't want to fall from it.

As per the official Boeing documentation, the height between the ground and the aircraft doors is between 4.78m and 5.28m, depending on the door. I don't think that people falling down from that height mostly die. So to some extent bad luck also came into play.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:35 pm

vfw614 wrote:
I'm not sure how high up that door is, but I wouldn't want to fall from it.

As per the official Boeing documentation, the height between the ground and the aircraft doors is between 4.78m and 5.28m, depending on the door. I don't think that people falling down from that height mostly die. So to some extent bad luck also came into play.

Absolutely. It would often be fatal, and if you face plant, probably more than likely, but certainly not never.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

sw733

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:43 pm

F27500 wrote:

5m/16ft drop, possibly head first, on to solid concrete. Let me know how that feels when you get back up...but you probably won't.

Flaps

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:45 pm

I climb crew stairs to 777 doors several times per week. You can bet your a$$ that a person can easily sustain fatal injuries from that height. That can be said equally for a fall from a the main deck cargo door on a 777F or a K-loader elevated to said height. You are falling directly onto concrete.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos