Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
747-600X
Topic Author
Posts: 2559
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2000 3:11 am

UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:55 pm

United 2051 took off from TPA bound for SFO and immediately started doing short laps up and down the FL coast. Curious to find out what's going on.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL2051
 
pksundevil
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:48 pm

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:11 pm

Twitter user says it was a bird strike after takeoff and then has been dumping fuel- not sure the second part would be accurate given how long it's been circling- but what a miserable experience for passengers to just circle at 7,000 feet for so long.
 
flyguy84
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:26 pm

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:16 pm

pksundevil wrote:
Twitter user says it was a bird strike after takeoff and then has been dumping fuel- not sure the second part would be accurate given how long it's been circling- but what a miserable experience for passengers to just circle at 7,000 feet for so long.

Considering an A320 can’t dump fuel... no.
SFO
 
pksundevil
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:48 pm

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:17 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
pksundevil wrote:
Twitter user says it was a bird strike after takeoff and then has been dumping fuel- not sure the second part would be accurate given how long it's been circling- but what a miserable experience for passengers to just circle at 7,000 feet for so long.

Considering an A320 can’t dump fuel... no.


Thanks- so I wonder whether 4 hours of circling at 7,000 feet is getting close to enough fuel burned off? Or do you think there's something else going on that they are trouble-shooting?
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 15909
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:17 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
Considering an A320 can’t dump fuel... no.


Through the engines !
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949
 
zrs70
Posts: 3785
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2000 4:08 am

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:24 pm

I was watching it on Flightradar24. Crazy.

But I can’t find the flight now.
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021
 
pksundevil
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:48 pm

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:25 pm

zrs70 wrote:
I was watching it on Flightradar24. Crazy.

But I can’t find the flight now.


Flightaware still shows it.
 
747-600X
Topic Author
Posts: 2559
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2000 3:11 am

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Must've been one heck of a bird strike. Those don't usually require a return to field, unless it prevented slats from retracting or similar. For how long they've been up there, almost seems like they might as well have just gone to SFO!
 
pksundevil
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:48 pm

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:34 pm

Looks like it is finally heading in for a landing.
 
User avatar
LOWS
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:37 am

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:40 pm

With a flight number like that, is it an NCAA charter?
 
pksundevil
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:48 pm

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:41 pm

And... for whatever reason looks like they've temporarily decided against that plan. Has to be uncomfortable for the passengers.
 
flyguy84
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:26 pm

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:37 pm

LOWS wrote:
With a flight number like that, is it an NCAA charter?

No scheduled flight.
SFO
 
dxBrian
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:57 am

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Land the airplane and do an overweight landing inspection. Easy and less time consuming.
 
User avatar
LOWS
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:37 am

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:58 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
LOWS wrote:
With a flight number like that, is it an NCAA charter?

No scheduled flight.


Ah, ok, thanks. I thought all UA 2XXX were charter for some reason.
 
flyguy84
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:26 pm

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:10 pm

dxBrian wrote:
Land the airplane and do an overweight landing inspection. Easy and less time consuming.

Unless the birdstrike damaged parts of the aircraft that impacted other systems. Just saying. It’s not so cut and dry.
SFO
 
ual763
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:46 am

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:30 pm

LOWS wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:
LOWS wrote:
With a flight number like that, is it an NCAA charter?

No scheduled flight.


Ah, ok, thanks. I thought all UA 2XXX were charter for some reason.


I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly, the 25xx numbers are charters.
From flying to the NOTAM office
 
jayunited
Posts: 3421
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:41 pm

dxBrian wrote:
Land the airplane and do an overweight landing inspection. Easy and less time consuming.


This was a cross country flight TPA-SFO that was a few seats shy of being full there was over 4,500 pounds of cargo and bags in the pits and over 41,000 pounds of jet fuel. The bird strike occurred right after takeoff damaging one of the pitot tubes, I'm not a pilot I don't know if you are one or not, but I believe in this situation the pilot made the right decision to burn the fuel to reduce the weight of the aircraft before attempting to land. Performing an overweight landing is not something to be taken lightly serious damage can be done to an aircraft during overweight landings if not executed properly.
 
Runway28L
Posts: 2119
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:41 pm

Sounds like there was damage to the pitot tubes.

http://twitter.com/tompodolec/status/97 ... 85154?s=21
 
StTim
Posts: 3809
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:39 am

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:46 pm

Doing a holding pattern you are always close to a landing point should things get worse.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14250
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:54 am

Runway28L wrote:
Sounds like there was damage to the pitot tubes.

http://twitter.com/tompodolec/status/97 ... 85154?s=21


So unreliable airspeed on an least one flight computer.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
BENAir01
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:42 pm

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:21 am

Yeah, its much safer to circle the airport burning fuel than to go to your destination. First of all, they probably stayed at 7,000 feet to have enough power in the one engine to keep the plane in their - they wouldn't fly to SFO at 7,000 feet. Second of all, they probably wanted to be right at the airport just in case something bad should happen.
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?
 
ordbosewr
Posts: 641
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:30 pm

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:02 pm

I am happy that everything ended up safe and sound. Yes, the passengers got more than they expected, but the eventually got to SFO, safely, of course.
 
FriscoHeavy
Posts: 1826
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:29 pm

BENAir01 wrote:
Yeah, its much safer to circle the airport burning fuel than to go to your destination. First of all, they probably stayed at 7,000 feet to have enough power in the one engine to keep the plane in their - they wouldn't fly to SFO at 7,000 feet. Second of all, they probably wanted to be right at the airport just in case something bad should happen.



A. Not sure where it says anything about losing an engine. Appears they had full power.

B. Even on one engine, they'd be able to stay much higher than 7,000 ft.
Whatever
 
United1
Posts: 4260
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:45 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
BENAir01 wrote:
Yeah, its much safer to circle the airport burning fuel than to go to your destination. First of all, they probably stayed at 7,000 feet to have enough power in the one engine to keep the plane in their - they wouldn't fly to SFO at 7,000 feet. Second of all, they probably wanted to be right at the airport just in case something bad should happen.



A. Not sure where it says anything about losing an engine. Appears they had full power.

B. Even on one engine, they'd be able to stay much higher than 7,000 ft.


As stated above it wasn't an engine issue the bird strike took out a pitot tube. The engines burn fuel at a higher rate at 7K vs 30K and 7K allows them to leave the aircraft unpressurised which is prudent if you are unsure of the extent of hull damage.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
User avatar
Seabear
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:05 pm

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Bad week to be a dog or bird on United.
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 1117
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: UAL2051 doing laps for 3 hours

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:57 pm

LOWS wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:
LOWS wrote:
With a flight number like that, is it an NCAA charter?

No scheduled flight.


Ah, ok, thanks. I thought all UA 2XXX were charter for some reason.


UA charters start at UA25xx, so you weren't that far off...
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos