Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyHossD

Re: Rumor: UA to introduce new and/or revised livery in the coming years

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:55 pm

SuperGee wrote:
I like this one the best so far. It has the red, white, blue and gold, as well as the tulip:

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifiedairl ... 012191.jpg

That's hideous, IMHO. Either get rid of the globe or the tulip or maybe a new logo entirely. With the introduction of the Polaris product, an old colleague of mine suggested adding a star (i.e. Polaris) to a spot near the top of the fin, but otherwise keeping the globe.

In any case, I agree that the old CO livery from 1991 needs to be replaced; it's old and has gained a bad reputation since the merger.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

xjetflyer2001

Re: Rumor: UA to indroduce new and/or revised livery in the coming years

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:12 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
xjetflyer2001 wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:
I'm still hoping for an updated 'retro' look, something like this:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... 9LX2VZMC1R

I like the font and the way United Airlines is printed on the fuselage on this, but the colors, no way!!

What color scheme do you think would look best? I also made one with a red, white, and blue scheme. It looks a lot like N475UA, the retro A320.

Color Scheme is where I get hung up on, its hard to picture unless I see it, but I sort of played around with a darker red, orange, and blue scheme over the color stripes you already had, but I just did it quickly in paint so, to I couldn't tell if it looked better or not.

xjetflyer2001

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:27 pm

coairman wrote:
I am really tired of the CO Globe as it’s been around since 1991...27 years. My favorite livery has always been United’s 80’s colorful look....This would look great after a few modernized enhancements.

https://acapsule.com/products/united-ai ... -400-scale

In fact.... this livery is so popular it’s even sold out! ;)

That is also my favorite livery, a modern re-boot would be awesome!

xjetflyer2001

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:29 pm

SPREE34 wrote:
SuperGee wrote:
I like this one the best so far. It has the red, white, blue and gold, as well as the tulip:

That looks pretty good. Send it to UA.

I like that logo, not so much the titles though

WALmsp

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:35 pm

gregn21 wrote:
They should bring back a battleship grey inspired livery.

I disagree. That livery was depressing, IMHO.
In memory of my Dad, Robert "Bob" Fenrich, WAL 1964-1979, MSP ONT LAX

MaverickM11

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:38 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
SuperGee wrote:

I thinks it’s time people get over the tulip, leave the tulip and globe in the past if you’re going to go for a new look IMO.

:checkmark: a fresh break would be helpful—everyone could hate the same new logo together, as a team :rotfl:
I don't take responsibility at all

102IAHexpress

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:50 am

Can't solve the image and reputation problem without changing the name too. What name should replace the old and tired United name? Perhaps Continental would be a good replacement name?

brian415

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:32 am

102IAHexpress wrote:
Can't solve the image and reputation problem without changing the name too. What name should replace the old and tired United name? Perhaps Continental would be a good replacement name?

Changing to Continental would present a problem for TYO, OSA and NGO markets. There exists no "ti" sound for Continental in Japanese. The closest equivalent is "tchi" and the pronunciation becomes weird-sounding: Kon-tchi-nen-taru (コンチネンタル). United sounds more like its English equivalent: Yu-nai-teddo (ユナイテッド).

I realize CO was there during its pre-merger days, but its presence was tiny, with two daily mainline CO flights and a sprinkling of Air Mike flights.

Besides, if United changed its name, it would not be perceived as a flag-carrier (or at least de-facto flag-carrier) in other parts of the world. Of course, we in the U.S., know that the U.S. has NO flag-carrier. However, I am always surprised that lots of foreigners think that the U.S. has two flag carriers: AA and UA.

ual763

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:47 am

brian415 wrote:
102IAHexpress wrote:

Changing to Continental would present a problem for TYO, OSA and NGO markets. There exists no "ti" sound for Continental in Japanese. The closest equivalent is "tchi" and the pronunciation becomes weird-sounding: Kon-tchi-nen-taru (コンチネンタル). United sounds more like its English equivalent: Yu-nai-teddo (ユナイテッド).

I realize CO was there during its pre-merger days, but its presence was tiny, with two daily mainline CO flights and a sprinkling of Air Mike flights.

Besides, if United changed its name, it would not be perceived as a flag-carrier (or at least de-facto flag-carrier) in other parts of the world. Of course, we in the U.S., know that the U.S. has NO flag-carrier. However, I am always surprised that lots of foreigners think that the U.S. has two flag carriers: AA and UA.

I don’t think changing the name is the way to go. The United name has been around forever, it is such a storied name in aviation, good & bad. They just need to improve their product. All brands have bad and good times. I strongly feel that after all the employees are truly united, the product will greatly improve. New livery, yes. New name, no.
From flying to the NOTAM office

Antarius

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:49 am

102IAHexpress wrote:

Continental always sounded like a regional carrier to me. Like it was cooped up on one continent - the hotel chain Intercontinental in my mind is better as it denotes a wider footprint.

I actually like the name United. It is a good name for a company that does exactly that, unites people, cities countries etc.

A new livery with the same name would work as it would or could signal a NEW chapter in the airline. One which it desperately needs.. but doesn't cost them a good name or the international brand presence.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

UAL747422
Topic Author

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:02 pm

slider wrote:
UAL747422 wrote:
A person I know who works at UA said there is a rumor flying around about a possible new or revised livery in the coming years.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw a new livery for UA. I guess it's pretty serious.

I did not ask for sarcastic comments in this topic. I'm saying this is something I heard and I wanted to see input on what people thought.
Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?

UAL747422
Topic Author

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:17 pm

I honestly like this one the best. It's a clean sheet design, but very different.

Sooner787

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:17 pm

If UAL is looking towards a new livery, my guess is the color palette will match the navy blue of the Polaris branding
and the livery will be simple like LH's new livery. Perhaps gold trim might be included if the bean counters can be
convinced to fund it, but simplicity will be the name of the game.

My wish is whatever firm did Alaska's new livery gets the job :)

N766UA

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:55 pm

UAL747422 wrote:
slider wrote:
UAL747422 wrote:
A person I know who works at UA said there is a rumor flying around about a possible new or revised livery in the coming years.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw a new livery for UA. I guess it's pretty serious.

I did not ask for sarcastic comments in this topic. I'm saying this is something I heard and I wanted to see input on what people thought.

You can specify the preferred type of response?

102IAHexpress

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:59 pm

Antarius wrote:
102IAHexpress wrote:

Continental always sounded like a regional carrier to me. Like it was cooped up on one continent - the hotel chain Intercontinental in my mind is better as it denotes a wider footprint.

I actually like the name United. It is a good name for a company that does exactly that, unites people, cities countries etc.

A new livery with the same name would work as it would or could signal a NEW chapter in the airline. One which it desperately needs.. but doesn't cost them a good name or the international brand presence.

Probably a good idea to change Southwest too. Can't get a more regional sounding name than southwest.

United's name has become toxic, not its logo. The current livery may be the only positive image the general public associates with the airline.

UAL747422
Topic Author

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:17 pm

N766UA wrote:
UAL747422 wrote:
slider wrote:

You can specify the preferred type of response?

I'm just asking because people seem to criticize me very much on this site. I am fairly new to the world of aviation and this forum. I have questions. Some of them are obvious to you guys. Now let's get back to the topic we are discussing. Just something I thought I would bring up. Thanks.

UAL747422
Topic Author

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:21 pm

I like this one. A mix of old and new-ish.

coairman

Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:45 pm

hOMSaR wrote:
coairman wrote:
I am really tired of the CO Globe as it’s been around since 1991...27 years. My favorite livery has always been United’s 80’s colorful look....This would look great after a few modernized enhancements.

https://acapsule.com/products/united-ai ... -400-scale

In fact.... this livery is so popular it’s even sold out! ;)

Is tired of 27-year-old logo

Wants logo that is even older.

You missed my point “smarty pants”. An UPDATED tulip logo. Not the exact same. The CO globe has not changed since its inception in 1991.
The views I express are of my own, and not the company I work for.

globetrotter94

Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:01 pm

WALmsp wrote:
gregn21 wrote:
They should bring back a battleship grey inspired livery.

I disagree. That livery was depressing, IMHO.

It was dark for sure, but distinctive, refined, and even more importantly--unique. Battleship Grey and Rising Blue are pretty much tied as far as my favorite UA livery goes--really can't stand the retro liveries or the current livery.
6E, 9W, AF, AI, B6, BA, BI, BR, CA, DN, GA, IC, JL, KB, KL, KU, NH, QR, SQ, TG, TK, UA, VS

allegiantflyer

Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:10 pm

I would be shocked if UA wanted to update their livery, They seem to not really care about their image. The current CO-UA livery looks like it was thrown together last minute because someone in the marketing department procrastinated until the last minute.They also never feel rushed to do anything. Remember their 1999 reminiscent website they had until a couple years ago?

jworks158 wrote:
What do you guys think of this concept I just found. It still has the globe for the continental people, but updates it with a more modern appearance which removes the color gold. http://www.airline-empires.com/index.php?/gallery/image/8051-united-airlines-new-livery/

I would actually be ok with this, though I do like seeing color on aircraft. I think it is better for modern times.

UA444

Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:23 pm

allegiantflyer wrote:
I would be shocked if UA wanted to update their livery, They seem to not really care about their image. The current CO-UA livery looks like it was thrown together last minute because someone in the marketing department procrastinated until the last minute.They also never feel rushed to do anything. Remember their 1999 reminiscent website they had until a couple years ago?

jworks158 wrote:
What do you guys think of this concept I just found. It still has the globe for the continental people, but updates it with a more modern appearance which removes the color gold. http://www.airline-empires.com/index.php?/gallery/image/8051-united-airlines-new-livery/

I would actually be ok with this, though I do like seeing color on aircraft. I think it is better for modern times.

It looks like it was thrown together last minute because it was. smisek literally bragged about creating it and having no input or not even consulting anyone from marketing.

The cobbled together livery was the perfect symbol for a cobbled together merger.

spinotter

Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:39 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
SuperGee wrote:

That's hideous, IMHO. Either get rid of the globe or the tulip or maybe a new logo entirely. With the introduction of the Polaris product, an old colleague of mine suggested adding a star (i.e. Polaris) to a spot near the top of the fin, but otherwise keeping the globe.

In any case, I agree that the old CO livery from 1991 needs to be replaced; it's old and has gained a bad reputation since the merger.

The tulip livery looks much more dated to my eyes than the updated CO livery with the UA name, which is simple and pleasing - aesthetically much better than the garish oranges and other clashing colors of the tulip livery. I think that most everyone who criticizes the current livery has a big chip on their shoulder, namely CO.

adambrau

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:05 pm

jworks158 wrote:

IMHO this seems so similar to what we have. Might as well keep the current livery!
Last edited by adambrau on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JFK Friendly

ayoungblood2

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:06 pm

I honestly thought the Blue tulip livery looked more modern than Continental's half globe. Hopefully United does what AA and others have done though and keeps a few aircraft in the old liveries/repaints them for homage purposes. I love the throwback liveries, my favorite being the retro Lufthansa 748!

NYPECO

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:11 pm

I don't think it makes sense to go back to the tulip livery, the CO globe is the most recent one, so a new logo should be a variation of that or something completely new. It wouldn't make sense to take a step back to something much older. And slapping the globe and the tulip together is just messy imo, I don't know how anyone thinks that's better than the current one.

deebee278

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:18 pm

Let's see, there's a rumor that UA might introduce a new livery in a few years. My brain therefore tells me that any new livery will look nothing like the images shown above. Reminds me of the models I've seen from the mid 60s of what the 747 was going to look like, very different from the final product.

CarlosSi

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:53 pm

The Saul Bass meatball sure looks a lot more simpler than the globe. Not that it’s coming back, but the jet stream seems like it could fit with more airline names than a globe would. Only problem would be its association with continental just like the globe is, and with the United titles...

iahcsr

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:56 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
The Boeing 787 is the worst looking aircraft type of the entire fleet. To me the wavy line looks childish.

IMHO, you should be prepared for more waves.

The 737Max is said to have the same wavy gold.. First one is in the paint hanger... We’ll know in about a week.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

TWA772LR

Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:14 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
The Saul Bass meatball sure looks a lot more simpler than the globe. Not that it’s coming back, but the jet stream seems like it could fit with more airline names than a globe would. Only problem would be its association with continental just like the globe is, and with the United titles...

I think that's only true in the a.net-osphere.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

rnav2dlrey

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:33 pm

iahcsr wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
The Boeing 787 is the worst looking aircraft type of the entire fleet. To me the wavy line looks childish.

The 737Max is said to have the same wavy gold.. First one is in the paint hanger... We’ll know in about a week.

The MAX will have the wave.

jworks158

Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:23 pm

rnav2dlrey wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:

The MAX will have the wave.

That would honestly make such a big difference in my opinion!
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie

rj1385

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:55 am

In this day and age of boring paint, I honestly would not be surprised to see the globe stretched out or basically the Ted paint scheme with a blue color.

CALTECH

Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:59 am

hOMSaR wrote:
“In the coming years” means it could happen in 2076 and the person saying so could say “see, I told you so.”

Exactly.

The Wavy lines of the 787 might be a slight addition in the near future.......

MaverickM11 wrote:
:checkmark: a fresh break would be helpful—everyone could hate the same new logo together, as a team :rotfl:

Something needs to bring everyone together as a team, sadly it might have to wait till retirements ripple through the ranks. The old rivalry is still around,...
Last edited by CALTECH on Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
You are here.

TransWorldOne

Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:08 am

I've always thought the gold wave on the 787 brought, what was otherwise, a boring and bland livery to life. I'm happy to hear the MAX may feature the wave!

VC10er

Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:01 am

brian415 wrote:
ual747den wrote:
Well "in the coming years" seems pretty open! I would imagine that it will happen and when it does I hope that they have enough sense to bring back the old tulip logo.

Totally! Poor Saul Bass was probably rolling over in his grave in 2010 when Smisek and Tilton announced the "compromise" merger: the company would keep United's name and headquarters but the planes would take on Continental's look!

The Continental globe logo has always been a second class design in that they did not hire a logo design firm. The globe was an in-house design from their graphics arts department!

Apologies I don’t mean to be disagreeable, actually it was done by a logo design firm. The 1991 livery was designed by a team of people I know from Lippincott and Margulies, a brand strategy and design firm in NYC, not done in house. (At the time I was an Exec Creative Director at Landor, and their primary competitor- but we all knew each other) I even know the software used to create the wrapped grid. Lippencott was well known to be far stronger in brand strategy than design (although they have done their fair share of iconic design). They were partially credited with the vision working with Bethune for the “big turn around” and it was a HUGE feather in their cap. It was panic button time at Landor as we were (until then) the world’s leading airline branding agency.
I have personally never liked it because all I can see is the use of a new mapping filter to wrap a graphic around a shape: in CO’s case a sphere. Ironically I was leading the Pepsi Concorde project at the time, and we both accidentally created 1/4 globe liveries!!!

United would in my professional opinion (and I feel very strongly about this because I’ve seen this backfire time and again) would be extremely unwise to make a significant change to the livery and identity right now. They need to “earn” a new livery. Create the airline that they aspire to be first- before screaming CHANGE to the world.

There is no design in the world that if launched now would help them distance themselves from recent PR disasters or improve perceptions. Consumers are not dumb, it would be seen as a flimsy attempt to change perceptions when a great brand experience isn’t being delivered in full force yet. The airways would be filled with “lipstick on a pig” comments if they did it now.

They are already in the process of introducing new (and IMHO very well done) design elements throughout the system. The new lit tables and chairs in waiting areas and gates at EWR are really cool and comfortable, aircraft interiors need at least another 18 months of refits and each hub should have a new Polaris Lounge and United Club before changing the livery and identity.

I’m all for a new identity- but timing is everything and it ain’t time!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

rnav2dlrey

Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:25 am

the MAXwave:

pic from @airlinegeeks twitter feed

rikkus67

Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:25 am

UA444 wrote:
allegiantflyer wrote:

jworks158 wrote:

It looks like it was thrown together last minute because it was. smisek literally bragged about creating it and having no input or not even consulting anyone from marketing.

The cobbled together livery was the perfect symbol for a cobbled together merger.

The reason for the Continental livery/United titles combination was simple economics, mixed with a bit of bravado. United had a mixture of two liveries, while Continental's was consistent. With the amount of Battleship Grey that still needed a repaint, it was easier to start there. At the very least, they didn't go ahead with the Continental font style....
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

sixtyseven

Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:30 am

Great rumour. I’ve heard the same. In fact I heard the same about AA too. Even DL. They are rumoured to make changes in the future. And it’s not limited to paint.

My source says they’re going to change a lot of things. Possibly. Sometime.
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

Slug71

Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:36 am

SuperGee wrote:

I like that a lot.

csavel

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:23 am

I know I am in the minority here and am prepared for the flames but I always thought the 'Tulip' logo looked like a W. It took me *years* to realize what it was. Even after I "got" it, it still looked like a W. It sure as hell doesn't look like a tulip. That and the colors screamed 70s polyester leisure suit to me. Was never impressed.

I think the ex-continental logo is smart, and in addition, since Continental had a lot of loyalty, it was smart to keep that logo. Of course that loyalty is gone (think of how Continental out of EWR was popular and even dare I say it 'hip' vs. United out of EWR now.

They can and should tweak a bit, and perhaps next to the United on the fuselage, they should add something like "The friendly skies" or similar which would hark back to the golden days.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

cougar15

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:29 am

seeing as we are still missing a ´formal´ source, perhaps the title should be changed to allow us to discuss (potential new) tulips, globes and the like. because, after digging my way thru 140 odd posts, I have yet to see anything substantial relating the the OP´s thread title! Oh, forgot the Max wave of course....
some you lose, others you can´t win!

OzarkD9S

Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:21 am

VC10er wrote:
brian415 wrote:
ual747den wrote:

The Continental globe logo has always been a second class design in that they did not hire a logo design firm. The globe was an in-house design from their graphics arts department!

Apologies I don’t mean to be disagreeable, actually it was done by a logo design firm. The 1991 livery was designed by a team of people I know from Lippincott and Margulies, a brand strategy and design firm in NYC, not done in house. (At the time I was an Exec Creative Director at Landor, and their primary competitor- but we all knew each other) I even know the software used to create the wrapped grid. Lippencott was well known to be far stronger in brand strategy than design (although they have done their fair share of iconic design). They were partially credited with the vision working with Bethune for the “big turn around” and it was a HUGE feather in their cap. It was panic button time at Landor as we were (until then) the world’s leading airline branding agency.
I have personally never liked it because all I can see is the use of a new mapping filter to wrap a graphic around a shape: in CO’s case a sphere. Ironically I was leading the Pepsi Concorde project at the time, and we both accidentally created 1/4 globe liveries!!!

United would in my professional opinion (and I feel very strongly about this because I’ve seen this backfire time and again) would be extremely unwise to make a significant change to the livery and identity right now. They need to “earn” a new livery. Create the airline that they aspire to be first- before screaming CHANGE to the world.

There is no design in the world that if launched now would help them distance themselves from recent PR disasters or improve perceptions. Consumers are not dumb, it would be seen as a flimsy attempt to change perceptions when a great brand experience isn’t being delivered in full force yet. The airways would be filled with “lipstick on a pig” comments if they did it now.

They are already in the process of introducing new (and IMHO very well done) design elements throughout the system. The new lit tables and chairs in waiting areas and gates at EWR are really cool and comfortable, aircraft interiors need at least another 18 months of refits and each hub should have a new Polaris Lounge and United Club before changing the livery and identity.

I’m all for a new identity- but timing is everything and it ain’t time!

Well, at least someone on this forum gets it. :checkmark:
Next up: STL DEN PSP DEN STL

neomax

Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:27 am

Please update the title to reflect that the MAX has received the updated wavy livery.

ADrum23

Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:49 am

I hope they change the livery, they should have never dropped the tulip IMO. The Continental globe looks gosh awful.

molitvic20

Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:39 am

New livery from scratch? Not gonna happen. If you havent figured it out, the 'dreamliner' livery is basically the new revised livery. Were putting it on the new 737 Max. Not entire sure why we didn't put it on the 77W? We currently have an A320 in the paint shop getting ready for the revised livery. Continental globe will be around forever,

EA CO AS

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:14 am

csavel wrote:
I know I am in the minority here and am prepared for the flames but I always thought the 'Tulip' logo looked like a W. It took me *years* to realize what it was. Even after I "got" it, it still looked like a W.

You're not alone, I was confused for years on why United had a big "W" for their logo!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

EA CO AS

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:16 am

rnav2dlrey wrote:
the MAXwave:

I know I'm probably in the minority on this, but I think the wave looks sharp.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

TWA772LR

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:25 am

rikkus67 wrote:
UA444 wrote:
allegiantflyer wrote:

The reason for the Continental livery/United titles combination was simple economics, mixed with a bit of bravado. United had a mixture of two liveries, while Continental's was consistent. With the amount of Battleship Grey that still needed a repaint, it was easier to start there. At the very least, they didn't go ahead with the Continental font style....

I wish they spelt out "United Airlines" with the CO font, but left off the little tail on the U. That would've made the plane look less naked.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

boeing737max

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:32 am

EA CO AS wrote:
rnav2dlrey wrote:
the MAXwave:

You aren’t! I think it looks great and very modern! I realistically think UA will change their livery with that wave on all aircraft. Will save a lot of money, while also avoiding the expensive and confusing process of rebranding. Similar to what KLM did.

neomax

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:34 am

EA CO AS wrote:
rnav2dlrey wrote:
the MAXwave:

I don't think that's a minority opinion, most people I know like it.

It should be noted that this is not the same wave on the 787, that is a subtle wave compared to this which is more obvious and in your face. The biggest difference is that on the 787, it goes all the way up to the tip of the nose. On the MAX, it goes up to just aft of the radome and the curve itself is much more pronounced highlighting the "smile effect" much more than on the 787. It is actually really cool because it uses subliminal messaging to make pax smile unconsciously when looking at it because smiling is contagious. So when people see the UA signs advertising the friendly skies with the iconic smile, its familiar to the pax and is instantly associated with UA. Even with all the negative PR, for the second or so they look at the plane, they'll forget most of it and just smile back.

I would give whoever came up with this insanely clever idea a raise.
Last edited by neomax on Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos