boeing737max

Re: Rumor: UA to introduce new and/or revised livery in the coming years

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:34 am

neomax wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
rnav2dlrey wrote:
the MAXwave:

pic from @airlinegeeks twitter feed

I know I'm probably in the minority on this, but I think the wave looks sharp.

I don't think that's a minority opinion, most people I know like it.

It should be noted that this is not the same wave on the 787, that is a subtle wave compared to this which is more obvious and in your face. The biggest difference is that on the 787, it goes all the way up to the tip of the nose. On the MAX, it goes up to just aft of the radome and the curve itself is much more pronounced highlighting the "smile effect" much more than on the 787. It is actually really cool because it uses subliminal messaging to make pax smile unconsciously when looking at it because smiling is contagious. So when people see the UA signs advertising the friendly skies with the iconic smile, its familiar to the pax and is instantly associated with UA.

I would give whoever came up with this insanely clever idea a raise.

Great point. That smile makes sense. So this makes me wonder.. Will the introduction of the MAX also be the starting point for an updated livery for the rest of the fleet? Makes no sense with the 77W’s lacking such change financial wise.

NeBaNi

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:44 am

molitvic20 wrote:
New livery from scratch? Not gonna happen. If you havent figured it out, the 'dreamliner' livery is basically the new revised livery. Were putting it on the new 737 Max. Not entire sure why we didn't put it on the 77W? We currently have an A320 in the paint shop getting ready for the revised livery. Continental globe will be around forever,

Whoa, and A320 is getting that livery too? That'll look sweet! :hearts:
I can't see Boeing getting too chuffed about that tho :P

adambrau

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:46 am

rikkus67 wrote:
UA444 wrote:
allegiantflyer wrote:
I would be shocked if UA wanted to update their livery, They seem to not really care about their image. The current CO-UA livery looks like it was thrown together last minute because someone in the marketing department procrastinated until the last minute.They also never feel rushed to do anything. Remember their 1999 reminiscent website they had until a couple years ago?

I would actually be ok with this, though I do like seeing color on aircraft. I think it is better for modern times.

It looks like it was thrown together last minute because it was. smisek literally bragged about creating it and having no input or not even consulting anyone from marketing.

The cobbled together livery was the perfect symbol for a cobbled together merger.

The reason for the Continental livery/United titles combination was simple economics, mixed with a bit of bravado. United had a mixture of two liveries, while Continental's was consistent. With the amount of Battleship Grey that still needed a repaint, it was easier to start there. At the very least, they didn't go ahead with the Continental font style....

Honestly have to agree that when the merged livery was rolled out, I'm glad the United font remained sans-serif. I don't greatly care for the current livery but agree with VC-10er let's get the operations solidified to reliability and then maybe do a re-think of the livery.
JFK Friendly

neomax

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:52 am

NeBaNi wrote:
molitvic20 wrote:
New livery from scratch? Not gonna happen. If you havent figured it out, the 'dreamliner' livery is basically the new revised livery. Were putting it on the new 737 Max. Not entire sure why we didn't put it on the 77W? We currently have an A320 in the paint shop getting ready for the revised livery. Continental globe will be around forever,

So this basically is the new livery. Can't say I'm disappointed, it looks sharp and timeless in my opinion. They have opted to update a good livery instead of ruining it with an all new one. Smart move in my books.

AVENSAB727

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:54 am

NeBaNi wrote:
molitvic20 wrote:

Finally, I think this revised livery is perfect.
Always look on the bright side of Life!

N766UA

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:56 am

I always thought the 787’s livery completely updated the livery as a whole. I’d rather see a complete re-do, but in its absense I think the entire fleet should get the 787 wave. Takes 15 years off the livery without doing much.

freakyrat

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:59 am

The gold smile line is actually a little bit from the old Mainliner livery.

tpaewr

Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:10 am

N766UA wrote:
I always thought the 787’s livery completely updated the livery as a whole. I’d rather see a complete re-do, but in its absense I think the entire fleet should get the 787 wave. Takes 15 years off the livery without doing much.

I have to agree! CO Livery came out when I was in grade school. Even WORSE the tulip came around my birth! Neither are fresh or modern. I like the Wave. It really refreshes what is there, in a subtle but powerful way.

Something of a shame the 744 never saw the Wave!

But an awesome low key refresh just the same. I hope it goes fleet wide. While CO based it would also be "post merger" livery. Trust me the millennials in Willis bleed for neither Gordan nor tulips. They think we are all crazy! (Srsly they do!) This would really be POST merger United.

If we aren't careful we May even all agree on it!

DarthLobster

Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:47 am

Wave or no wave, it’s the same boring livery with the same boring logo on the tail. Matches post-merger UA’s systemic lack of creativity and boldness.

aerokiwi

Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:56 am

I've never understood the hate towards the post merger livery. Brilliant and elegant colour combos of blue, gold, white and grey makes for a fantastic application across the branding. While by most accounts the service doesn't yet match the brand, to me at least UA comes across as a serious businessy carrier, DL as conservative and stuffy, AA as garish and "common". I realise that's not reflected by the respective service offering but it's just one of perception.

Meanwhile the MAX wave... hrmmmm doesn't this essentially replicate the Boeing house colours these days?

EA CO AS

Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:38 am

tpaewr wrote:
I have to agree! CO Livery came out when I was in grade school. Even WORSE the tulip came around my birth!

The tulip came out in 1974, and the CO globe livery in 1991. Exactly how long were you in grade school? ;)
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

NYPECO

Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:54 am

rnav2dlrey wrote:
the MAXwave:

I really like this wave on the 737! I hope more aircraft types will be receiving this.

aerokiwi wrote:
I've never understood the hate towards the post merger livery. Brilliant and elegant colour combos of blue, gold, white and grey makes for a fantastic application across the branding. While by most accounts the service doesn't yet match the brand, to me at least UA comes across as a serious businessy carrier, DL as conservative and stuffy, AA as garish and "common". I realise that's not reflected by the respective service offering but it's just one of perception.

Meanwhile the MAX wave... hrmmmm doesn't this essentially replicate the Boeing house colours these days?

I could be wrong, but I think much of dislike is from people who preferred old United grey/blue/tulip better and didn't want to see it replaced. CO livery wasn't bad at all.

Bald1983

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:05 am

UA444 wrote:
Dump all the CO dead corpse look.

I like the CO livery. Generally, those who whine about it want their beloved tulip. Frankly, real hominids do not purchase tickets based on livery.

VC10er

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:40 am

I just hope the wave is cost neutral because if it’s going to cost money it doesn’t do enough of anything for the brand. Like the wave or not, if it’s costing money then they are spending it in the wrong place. United has a ways to go to improve the overall United experience for fliers in front and back. Upgrading p.s. upfront, wiFi and tablet holders in tray tables, old F seats on 737s, employee and customer service improvements. UA has done a lot so far and hats off to everyone who’s made UA a much better airline today than just a few years ago.
They don’t even offer pj’s yet on 9/10 hour overnight flights...and rumors of cheap tin amenity kits in Polaris will dumb down that sub-brand they have invested so much in. FF see each detail that vanishes, so if I could give them my 2 cents; do a new livery in a few years once word of mouth is “Wow, United is amazing”
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

jeffh747

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:03 pm

Yes! Bring back the trend of cheatlines please!
ATR-72-600, A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

tpaewr

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:29 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
tpaewr wrote:
I have to agree! CO Livery came out when I was in grade school. Even WORSE the tulip came around my birth!

The tulip came out in 1974, and the CO globe livery in 1991. Exactly how long were you in grade school? ;)

I said "about", lol!

I was born in 76....in 91 I was in 7th grade

EA CO AS

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:54 pm

VC10er wrote:
I just hope the wave is cost neutral

I'm betting it is; you'd probably see new deliveries coming with the "wave" and existing aircraft would only get it when due for their normal paint work, meaning the entire fleet would be done in 5 years or so.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

UAL747422
Topic Author

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:05 pm

rnav2dlrey wrote:
the MAXwave:

yeah! I knew it! That looks awesome! Too bad, they won't be at ORD :(
Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?

UAL747422
Topic Author

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:07 pm

So is the new MAX 9 just going to sit at BFI or RNT until late May or June? Other than flight testing of course.
Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?

Ionosphere

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:55 pm

tpaewr wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
tpaewr wrote:

I said "about", lol!

I was born in 76....in 91 I was in 7th grade

You would've been 15 in 1991. Thats usually Grade 10.

KLDC10

Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:06 pm

NeBaNi wrote:

The Boeing wave goes through the center of the radome, as exhibited on both the UA 787 fleet and the Boeing House Livery. Perhaps this scheme is different enough for United to claim it as their own.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300

Boeing12345

Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:40 pm

UAL747422 wrote:
So is the new MAX 9 just going to sit at BFI or RNT until late May or June? Other than flight testing of course.

Nope, first 6 frames need Wi-Fi service bulletins done, post delivery mods and the few proving runs flown. The schedule from delivery on April 23rd for frame one and revenue June 7th is very, very tight.

UA444

Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:49 pm

God it looks horrible. The worst livery in the world for nearly 30 years just got even crappier.

UA444

Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:53 pm

Like taking spoiled meat and reheating it in the microwave. There you have the CO turd ball. The herpes of liveries.

JannEejit

Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:03 am

UA444 wrote:
Like taking spoiled meat and reheating it in the microwave. There you have the CO turd ball. The herpes of liveries.

Yeah we get it, you're a United fan, you hate the fact the airline has a 'merger' livery and not a bespoke 'United' one. An all original livery will come eventually I'm sure, in the meantime can you quit with the juvenile comments about reheating your meat...? jeez !

Bald1983

Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:20 am

ual763 wrote:
I like the actual colors, blue/gold. But, I do miss the Tulip. Now a blue/gold(or yellow) tulip would be amazing.

I would have liked them to keep the name of Continental but I got over it. If they are going to do a rebranding of the livery, it should be something unique and new, not returning to old UAL livery.

DarthLobster

Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:42 am

Bald1983 wrote:
UA444 wrote:

I like the CO livery. Generally, those who whine about it want their beloved tulip. Frankly, real hominids do not purchase tickets based on livery.

No, but the livery reflects UA’s apathy towards their own image, which is further reflected in the endless stream of high-profile customer service incidents in the past few years. A new livery won’t change that, it’s just reflective of the poor corporate culture that Smisek festered...er..fostered.

tpaewr

Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:01 am

Some where there is a lonely old former Boeing employee seething over their adoption of the MD logo......but time has moved on and no one cares.

Bald1983

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:47 am

aerokiwi wrote:

The hatred is due to the fact that many people wanted to see United go on as it had and CO disappear. They did not like the idea of two carriers merging and blending. So you have some UAL people believing UAL was taken over by Continental and some Continental people believing that Continental was taken over by UAL. Besides a means to communicate that the merger was of "equals," going with the CO livery was much easier because, at the time, the UAL fleet was not standard at all whereas the Continental fleet was. It made it an easier task.

UA444

Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:10 am

Bald1983 wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:

The hatred is due to the fact that many people wanted to see United go on as it had and CO disappear. They did not like the idea of two carriers merging and blending. So you have some UAL people believing UAL was taken over by Continental and some Continental people believing that Continental was taken over by UAL. Besides a means to communicate that the merger was of "equals," going with the CO livery was much easier because, at the time, the UAL fleet was not standard at all whereas the Continental fleet was. It made it an easier task.

Except that most CO ac got full repaints during the merger time. There was no cost benefit at all. Another anet myth to try to find some justification for the awful livery. The fact of the matter is that $misek chose the livery by himself and did what he wanted.

tpaewr

Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:47 am

UA444 wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:

Except that most CO ac got full repaints during the merger time. There was no cost benefit at all. Another anet myth to try to find some justification for the awful livery. The fact of the matter is that $misek chose the livery by himself and did what he wanted.

We agree on this point. Smisek was little b*tch to the hedge funds. It is a shame he did not have the character to reject this mess the way Larry did.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2008/04/28/b ... 28air.html

UA444

Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:21 am

tpaewr wrote:
UA444 wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:

We agree on this point. Smisek was little b*tch to the hedge funds. It is a shame he did not have the character to reject this mess the way Larry did.

CO was going to have to merge no matter what. UA held talks with US in 2008 after the CO merger talks fell through until UA pulled out of them when the economy got even worse. If UA had merged with US, CO would’ve been a far distant 4th place and no merger with AA would’ve been possible without serious divestitures.

It was in fact better for UA since they made some big changes for the better from the fall of 2008 through 2010 when the merger did happen.

RyanairGuru

Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:54 am

UA444 wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:

Except that Tilton gave it his blessing. The merged livery (albeit with United in the old Continental font) was unveiled at the joint press conference where Smisek and Tilton announced the merger.

Tilton pressed hard to ensure two things in the merger, that the combined company be called United and that the headquarters remain in Chicago. He did not care about the United brand or the ‘tulip’ (it’s actually a shield, it really annoys me when people refer to it as the tulip) and was happy to throw Smisek and the Continental guys a bone.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

neomax

Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:37 am

UA444 wrote:

THANK YOU! :checkmark:

That said, I love the livery, but there was no cost benefit.

Bald1983

Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:52 pm

DarthLobster wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
UA444 wrote:

No, but the livery reflects UA’s apathy towards their own image, which is further reflected in the endless stream of high-profile customer service incidents in the past few years. A new livery won’t change that, it’s just reflective of the poor corporate culture that Smisek festered...er..fostered.

The only reason Smizek did not do in Continental's brand was that he did not have time. However, UAL has improved a lot. The vast majority of its customers get what they paid for, namely arriving on time with bags, and a pleasant flight.

Bald1983

Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:55 pm

UA444 wrote:
tpaewr wrote:
UA444 wrote:

CO was going to have to merge no matter what. UA held talks with US in 2008 after the CO merger talks fell through until UA pulled out of them when the economy got even worse. If UA had merged with US, CO would’ve been a far distant 4th place and no merger with AA would’ve been possible without serious divestitures.

It was in fact better for UA since they made some big changes for the better from the fall of 2008 through 2010 when the merger did happen.

I agree that had UAL merged with US Air, CO would been ;eft hanging but that does nto mean that it was nto atrue merger and not an acquisition. The earlier talks of merger, it was CO that backed out. UA:'s sole policy coming out of the bankruptcy was to merger and UAL's Tilton to get paid off.

qf789

Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:10 pm

As this thread has drifted off topic, thread will be locked
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos