Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UAL747422
Topic Author

Rumor: UA to introduce new and/or revised livery in the coming years

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:39 pm

Remember: This is a RUMOR. Nothing has been confirmed. Not even a date or that this is for sure happening. A person I know who works at UA said there is a rumor flying around about a possible new or revised livery in the coming years. This would make sense because of Lufthansa getting a new (and very bland) livery. I hope this is true, as I am not a big fan of the half globe livery.

Also, I would be very interested to see any possible livery designs for United. I honestly can't picture what a possible new livery would look like. Again, just a rumor.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited spelling in title

hOMSaR

Re: Rumor: UA to indroduce new and/or revised livery in the coming years

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:44 pm

“In the coming years” means it could happen in 2076 and the person saying so could say “see, I told you so.”

tpaewr

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:49 pm

I doubt it. But if this happened I would expect something that reflected the brand refresh seen with the current logo worked into the new Club design/branding and the Polaris product.

AA737-823

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:51 pm

It wouldn't surprise me.
I like the current livery, but cannot deny that it debuted in 1991 with the reboot of Continental Airlines at that time.
It's soldiered on while Delta has been through 3 liveries, American has redone theirs, Southwest has had two, Alaska has a new one, Frontier has a new one, Spirit has had FOUR, etc etc etc.

I think it's time.
Especially since they're in pretty dire need of "enhancing" their image at the moment..... oy.

UAL747422
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:52 pm

rnav2dlrey wrote:
UA getting a new livery is inevitable, but i don't see how LH getting a new livery has any impact on UA. care to explain that?

Well, I kinda figured because they are in the same alliance, and to me, in the airline world they seem to be siblings. But it's all up in the air.

rnav2dlrey

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:53 pm

UA getting a new livery is inevitable, but i don't see how LH getting a new livery has any impact on UA. care to explain that?

flyguy84

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:00 am

A new livery in the "coming years" is absolutely inevitable. If UA were smart, they would do it as soon as possible to give the brand a fresh start.

BWIAirport

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:23 am

I'm still hoping for an updated 'retro' look, something like this:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... 9LX2VZMC1R

Avi8r747

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:25 am

When it eventually happens, I suspect something to the extent of KLM, where the striping was changed. Maybe, MAYBE font, but I highly doubt anything more than a few small tweaks.

ual747den

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:36 am

Well "in the coming years" seems pretty open! I would imagine that it will happen and when it does I hope that they have enough sense to bring back the old tulip logo.

JannEejit

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:50 am

Maybe when United operate the Boeing 797 'in the coming years' we'll see a new livery?

F100Flyer

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:01 am

In the 'coming years'. Just like Polaris :duck:

adambrau

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:08 am

BWIAirport wrote:

United has it supporters and detractors, maybe more so than any other airline.

I am not sure the picture you linked is actually any better (maybe worse) than what we currently have. And please don't take offense because we all have differing creative visions, and who's to say mine or yours or anyone else's is the 'best' one.

I do think, not withstanding the dog disasters of this week, United needs a livery refresh. Could still incorporate a globe theme or something along the lines of Polaris or United Club.

Maybe it would be better to wait for more Polaris clubs, seats and FA group consolidation before a new livery?

Cointrin330

Re: Rumor: UA to introduce new and/or revised livery in the coming years

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:14 am

United needs a new corporate identity for sure, and it needs to once and for all shed the perception that it hates its customers and is a strife-ridden company that simply cannot get anything right.

Kashmon

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:21 am

airlines keep so spending so much money on stupid liveries
if only they spent that money on their product
they natural value of their brand will rise no matter how 'dated" the livery

KVH68

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:27 am

I don't see a livery change till 2020. 2020 is when all the workgroups are suppose to get their new uniforms.

neomax

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:34 am

Avi8r747 wrote:
When it eventually happens, I suspect something to the extent of KLM, where the striping was changed. Maybe, MAYBE font, but I highly doubt anything more than a few small tweaks.

You mean like on the 787?

N292UX

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:39 am

A new livery wouldn't hurt them with their current public image. Maybe they should look for new management while they're at it.

UA444

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:41 am

Dump all the CO dead corpse look.

jetmatt777

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:46 am

I've seen it.

ual763

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:54 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
I've seen it.

Did you like what you saw?

Avi8r747

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:55 am

neomax wrote:
Avi8r747 wrote:

You mean like on the 787?

Pretty much! I imagine that they may not make the pin stripe as wavy, but then again to update the fleet to match the 787 livery would be all I would really expect to see.

NYPECO

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:04 am

If true, hopefully it isn't as bland as Lufthansa. Too many airlines are making their livery dull. Also, I hope UA keeps a bit of the gold colors in there too, but it seems like it's shown less and less in their designs.

EA CO AS

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:10 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
I've seen it.

No you haven’t.

brian415

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:23 am

ual747den wrote:
Well "in the coming years" seems pretty open! I would imagine that it will happen and when it does I hope that they have enough sense to bring back the old tulip logo.

Totally! Poor Saul Bass was probably rolling over in his grave in 2010 when Smisek and Tilton announced the "compromise" merger: the company would keep United's name and headquarters but the planes would take on Continental's look!

The Continental globe logo has always been a second class design in that they did not hire a logo design firm. The globe was an in-house design from their graphics arts department!

Goodyear

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:30 am

The current United livery is very classy, but quite dated. It looks great on the 787 and I think they should have adopted that revision fleet-wide.

ATLFlyer323

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:49 am

BWIAirport wrote:

Oh god I hope not. I know taste is subjective, but if UA is trying to create a more premium brand those colors and that look doesn't scream premium to me. The colors also don't anything like their Polaris product.

elbandgeek

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:17 am

I feel like this thread pops up every few months but given their image problems, if they were to do it now's the time. I don't see the globe going away and that's not necessarily a bad thing. The ways they've adapted it post-merger has actually fit well with the trend towards simpler, flat design principles. I actually really like what they've been doing with the cabin décor with things like the negative-space globe/chevron pattern on placards etc.
The only thing that they haven't changed is the livery and that's where it looks more dated. First and foremost get rid of the gold. It looks tacky and isn't even used in any of the other brand elements anymore. Focus on the different shades of blues and grays along with the simple blue and white globe, adjust the cheatlines, and they're not that far off from something that could look pretty nice and fit in 2018. I could even see them doing something more with the tail like using the aforementioned chevron pattern. The biggest issue I see is not looking too much like a ripoff of B6 but that's about it.

EDIT: As I was thinking about this I realized they could do something closer to the 2004 livery but with dark blues and the globe instead of the tulip. In looking up a picture that I could make a concept from I ended up stumbling upon this, which is almost exactly what I had in mind http://www.airline-empires.com/index.ph ... pt-livery/

ahj2000

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:18 am

I wonder what a Polaris-theme day livery would look like.

jbs2886

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:22 am

UAL747422 wrote:
rnav2dlrey wrote:

Well, I kinda figured because they are in the same alliance, and to me, in the airline world they seem to be siblings. But it's all up in the air.

Ahh, yes, once one airline in an alliance does something they all do it!

This thread is ridiculous.

Chemist

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:30 am

Well I liked the tulip the best.
The current one is really bland.
The battleship gray was ugly.
The one in the 60s was decent.

But I think focusing on some service and not treating customers like crap would be a better use of funds.

admanager

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:40 am

Great idea JBS, use the raccoon mask from Star Alliance partner Air Canada. I think it looks great and would add some color to the all white nose on UA.
This comment was not referencing the Dr. who was removed from the aircraft in Chicago - This isn't a United bash thread (we get lots of those).

brian415

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:42 am

ctrabs0114 wrote:
RUMOR: UA to introduce new CEO in the coming years.

(Sorry, but the headline was pretty vague as far as a timeframe and I couldn't resist)

Perhaps ... there could be a reason Scott came to UA above and beyond what is publicly known.

LAX772LR

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:51 am

brian415 wrote:
The Continental globe logo has always been a second class design in that they did not hire a logo design firm. The globe was an in-house design from their graphics arts department!

Which, when viewing some of their competitors' new liveries, seems like a pretty damn good idea.

Much rather that, then paying someone probably six figures or more to paint the airline's name against a white background and call it a day: a la JL, AY, etc.

brian415

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:04 am

Chemist wrote:

But I think focusing on some service and not treating customers like crap would be a better use of funds.

The "battleship gray" was a problem. It blended into the sky too much. It could possibly even be mistaken for military aircraft.

The best livery was from the "United Rising" and "It's Time to Fly!" era!

brian415

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:08 am

LAX772LR wrote:
brian415 wrote:

Which, when viewing some of their competitors' new liveries, seems like a pretty damn good idea.

Much rather that, then paying someone probably six figures or more to paint the airline's name against a white background and call it a day: a la JL, AY, etc.

Totally! Maybe I'm thinking what you're thinking ... AA allowed the design firm to create a tail theme that looks like a "shower curtain". I am quoting "AA = shower curtain" from a source who slips my mind at the moment.

As for JL, they did the right thing by reviving the "tsuru" (crane) logo!

Pcoder

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:53 am

I'll assume they won't be copying Frontier. Too many bad memories :stirthepot:

UAL777UK

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:33 am

Whilst I cannot wait for a new livery, basing this on a rumour, we could be waiting absolutely god knows how many years!

We may as well state , UA is to get a new livery......as we know they will some day, along with new aircraft etc etc

Themotionman

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:51 am

United are in the middle of a 'turnaround', so it would make sense to get a new livery once Polaris is fully installed and once the barrage of negative media coverage comes to an end.

However if UA had a plan to introduce a totally new livery then why are they putting their bingo cages on their walls in United Club entrances and in their 77W galleys?

ChristianL1011

Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:38 am

Chemist wrote:

Adopting a new livery won't do you any good, if you keep treating your customers as if you wish they weren't there. United obviously need a complete makeover, but do start looking at the customers' needs first. Then you might see your passengers returning. If not, it will be uphill and the flight of passengers away from United will continue for a long time.

rbavfan

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:19 pm

BWIAirport wrote:

Have to say no to that. it looks like the 60's laugh-in theme brought back. To candy looking.

asuflyer

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:41 pm

brian415 wrote:
ual747den wrote:

Totally! Poor Saul Bass was probably rolling over in his grave in 2010 when Smisek and Tilton announced the "compromise" merger: the company would keep United's name and headquarters but the planes would take on Continental's look!

The Continental globe was actually not designed in-house. It was created in 1991 by Lippincott, an ad firm.

NZ321

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:04 pm

UA444 wrote:

Nothing against a revised livery, but prey tell what is a dead corpse look? Am I missing something?

DarthLobster

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:09 pm

United was the surviving character in name (if not in manangement or operating certificate), therefore the focus should be on continuing United tradition, not appeasing the smaller Continental pundits.

Bring back the damn Tulip already. Modify it, modernize it, do whatever is necessary, but that logo was intrinsic to UA’s identity just as much as the widget is to DL or Chester is to AS. Letting Smisek change it on account of CO cheapness told the world that UA’s identity didn’t matter to UA, so why should it to the customer? Well, while none of UA’s problems today are related to that livery choice, the divided/indecisive/grotesquely generic image reflects many of those issues that have made UA a less desirable and customer-friendly carrier than even a Parker-run AA. UA is now practically a poster child for poor customer service and apathetic staff and has been since the two cultures failed to blend.

Cast the bland/characterless CO ghost aside and fully embrace the UA history and tradition, or just rename the whole airline to something even less unique than Continental or United and start over.

winstonlegthigh

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:25 pm

I love the current livery, and hope it sticks around for a while longer. It makes sense, from a business standpoint (taking into account negative feelings surrounding the brand after the doc & doggie incidents) that a refresh would be in the works.

Pure speculation, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for any colorful homage to the Bass liveries. If we're going by recent trends, let's just hope it isn't all white with United written in Times New Roman font. I'd hate to see another great livery axed in favor of an uninspired turd, like Air Canada just recently did.

Edit: I shouldn't say AC was uninspired, as their inspiration looks to be another entirely uninspired turd livery- Delta's.
Last edited by winstonlegthigh on Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AirCalSNA

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:32 pm

DarthLobster wrote:
United was the surviving character in name (if not in manangement or operating certificate), therefore the focus should be on continuing United tradition, not appeasing the smaller Continental pundits.

Bring back the damn Tulip already. Modify it, modernize it, do whatever is necessary, but that logo was intrinsic to UA’s identity just as much as the widget is to DL or Chester is to AS. Letting Smisek change it on account of CO cheapness told the world that UA’s identity didn’t matter to UA, so why should it to the customer? Well, while none of UA’s problems today are related to that livery choice, the divided/indecisive/grotesquely generic image reflects many of those issues that have made UA a less desirable and customer-friendly carrier than even a Parker-run AA. UA is now practically a poster child for poor customer service and apathetic staff and has been since the two cultures failed to blend.

Cast the bland/characterless CO ghost aside and fully embrace the UA history and tradition, or just rename the whole airline to something even less unique than Continental or United and start over.

I agree with you, United's current image is toast because of the series of horrible public-relations gaffes in the past 12 months. Maybe the tulip would evoke a time when they were still the "friendly skies." The should revive their premerger livery, or a variation on it.

jworks158

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:08 pm

What do you guys think of this concept I just found. It still has the globe for the continental people, but updates it with a more modern appearance which removes the color gold. http://www.airline-empires.com/index.php?/gallery/image/8051-united-airlines-new-livery/

spinotter

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:41 pm

BWIAirport wrote:

No, NEVER! Those colors are hideous. Purple and orange? It needs to be red/white/blue/green only for a worldwide airline. UA need a total new branding, just like AA with the fuzzy flag. People here should come up with some new fresh images.

ual763

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:01 pm

I like the actual colors, blue/gold. But, I do miss the Tulip. Now a blue/gold(or yellow) tulip would be amazing.

spinotter

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:04 pm

UA444 wrote:

I always felt that CO had the cleanest livery in the USA, even though NW was my airline, but that red always dominated on NW so they were always off the charts as far as sober livery lovers are concerned - NW's last livery was my favorite - pearlescent and that worthy successful to the Northwest Orient totem from before.

You like tulips and big U's? And corporate baby blue? And George Gershwin? Not my style. UA went through how many livery changes in its troubled years, a hodge-podge at the airports? Gave me a bad vibe. They need something totally new.
Last edited by spinotter on Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos