Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
afcjets
Topic Author
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:00 pm

AFAIK United once had their entire HQs in Elk Grove Village near ORD, but Stephen Wolf wanted his and other executives offices in downtown Chicago and their HQ remains split today. It seems UA could have a really impressive unified sprawling HQ and training center (similiar to what AA had at Centreport) in all the vacant land around DEN and for a lot less, even if IL gives them concessions. Also, DEN was once a hub for CO, their largest one before being surpassed by IAH, and was also their HQ before they moved to LAX and eventually IAH.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 6172
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:08 pm

They would have remained in Houston if it wasn’t Chicago.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!
 
United1
Posts: 4164
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:18 pm

afcjets wrote:
AFAIK United once had their entire HQs in Elk Grove Village near ORD, but Stephen Wolf wanted his and other executives offices in downtown Chicago and their HQ remains split today. It seems UA could have a really impressive unified sprawling HQ and training center (similiar to what AA had at Centreport) in all the vacant land around DEN and for a lot less, even if IL gives them concessions. Also, DEN was once a hub for CO, their largest one before being surpassed by IAH, and was also their HQ before they moved to LAX and eventually IAH.


UAs HQ, NOC and other offices are all located in the Sears Tower in the loop. HQ vacated the building on Wacker drive a while ago...

BTW high rise commercial real estate is actually fairly cheap and combined with the incentives IL/Chicago gave them to move their HQ/Operations into the city I'm not sure moving to DEN would save UA much. Also UA is very much a company that has a strong "Chicago's Hometown Airline" identity...it would be like asking DL to leave ATL...never going to happen.

Last I heard all that was left in Elk Grove was F/A training...I think they had the building on the market at one point.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
United1
Posts: 4164
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:26 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
They would have remained in Houston if it wasn’t Chicago.


More than likely....worth noting that UA is moving into new offices in Houston. I believe they are planning on vacating Smith and Jefferson streets.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/busine ... 854965.php
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 5957
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:19 pm

Airline HQ in expensive cities B6, UA, AS are always in danger in an industry that is always battling costs. Maybe not at the moment, but the next BK or downturn or fuel spike or whatever.

There are too many factors that could effect an airline, the margins (historically) too thin, that cost cutting is an airlines’ best friend.

IL and NYS give huge tax breaks and incentives to stay in place. The reality is, the airlines stay (because at the moment) they want to stay. No tax break or rent break could ever make up for a place with cheaper cost of living, lower real estate costs, lower tax brackets, better weather and cheaper cost of business
 
ual763
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:46 am

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:22 pm

Before the complex in Elk Grove, United actually had it’s headquarters in Denver.
From flying to the NOTAM office
 
User avatar
OA412
Moderator
Posts: 4783
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:31 pm

I'm not sure relocating to Denver would really save UA all that much money. Denver rents are not cheap, and they keep climbing. It's now the most expensive non-coastal city in the country.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
simairlinenet
Posts: 815
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:24 am

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:39 pm

Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Yes. United considered relocating to Denver in the 50s or 60s--and decided to move flight training there. :)

United1 wrote:
UAs HQ, NOC and other offices are all located in the Sears Tower in the loop. HQ vacated the building on Wacker drive a while ago...

Some IT departments are moving into 77 W. Wacker.--Sears Tower is out of space.
 
flyguy84
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:26 pm

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:59 pm

Willis Tower is out of space. A majority of those working there hate it. Scott Kirby is not a fan. Won’t be long before they re-locate, but I would venture to guess just back out by the airport.
SFO
 
United1
Posts: 4164
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:02 pm

simairlinenet wrote:
Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Yes. United considered relocating to Denver in the 50s or 60s--and decided to move flight training there. :)

United1 wrote:
UAs HQ, NOC and other offices are all located in the Sears Tower in the loop. HQ vacated the building on Wacker drive a while ago...

Some IT departments are moving into 77 W. Wacker.--Sears Tower is out of space.


Did they move back in...oh wow :)
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
ual763
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:46 am

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:04 pm

ual763 wrote:
Before the complex in Elk Grove, United actually had it’s headquarters in Denver.


Disregard, I was wrong. They moved from Seattle to Chicago originally, in 1931!
From flying to the NOTAM office
 
727200
Posts: 633
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:31 pm

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:09 pm

A couple of points:

1) UA moved downtown because Wolf lived downtown along with several of the other Officers of the company. Specifically in the Bloomingdale building where he had two floors complete to himself and his then wife.

2) UA looked at DEN several years back when they talked of gathering bids for the new HQ. Obviously ORD won out partly because of the deal they were given and its tough to leave the #3 city in America with all its implications and go to #21 with a population 1/4 of what they presently have.

3) They wont be leaving ORD anytime soon. There are too many corporations based there, its the #3 media center of the US, and its hub is there. To give those up for a location with less 'attributes' pretty much is corporate suicide.
 
CHI787ORD
Posts: 817
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:27 am

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:12 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
Willis Tower is out of space. A majority of those working there hate it. Scott Kirby is not a fan. Won’t be long before they re-locate, but I would venture to guess just back out by the airport.


Why make up things that are easily google-able? A quick look at their website shows that Willis Tower has at least 150,000 sq ft of vacant space.

I also know a few people working in the HQ and the proximity to Union Station and the CTA lines is very appreciated by them. Haven't heard any gripes about the space.
 
simairlinenet
Posts: 815
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:24 am

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:57 pm

CHI787ORD wrote:
Why make up things that are easily google-able? A quick look at their website shows that Willis Tower has at least 150,000 sq ft of vacant space.

Ok, I will amend to make you happy. Sears/Willis Tower is out of space--at a price United is willing to pay. Perhaps there are some prior commitments or good deals available for the former space at 77 W. Wacker.
 
wn676
Posts: 1747
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:33 am

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:08 pm

simairlinenet wrote:
CHI787ORD wrote:
Why make up things that are easily google-able? A quick look at their website shows that Willis Tower has at least 150,000 sq ft of vacant space.

Ok, I will amend to make you happy. Sears/Willis Tower is out of space--at a price United is willing to pay. Perhaps there are some prior commitments or good deals available for the former space at 77 W. Wacker.


The way I understand it, UA was subleasing its space at 77 W Wacker, but that tenant recently vacated. That provided the opportunity for some WHQ employees were recently moved back to 77 W Wacker to make room for the expansion of another department.

I think there will be more efforts at Willis to reorganize and optimize UA’s space. It’s not completely full, though the empty spaces are spread out across multiple floors which gives the impression that it’s more crowded than it really is.
Last edited by wn676 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.
 
dfwjim1
Posts: 2442
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:11 pm

One has to remember too the cost and hassle in moving a corporate headquarters from one city to another especially with a big company like United.
 
Rdh3e
Posts: 3625
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:11 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
Willis Tower is out of space. A majority of those working there hate it. Scott Kirby is not a fan. Won’t be long before they re-locate, but I would venture to guess just back out by the airport.

I've not heard any real complaints about the space at Willis, certainly not "a majority". The lease at Willis also goes through 2028....

simairlinenet wrote:
Some IT departments are moving into 77 W. Wacker.--Sears Tower is out of space.

simairlinenet wrote:
Perhaps there are some prior commitments or good deals available for the former space at 77 W. Wacker.

UA retains the lease at 77W, it simply subleased the space to other companies when they made the move the Willis. It's likely that some of the space became temporarily available so they are squatting some people there while negotiating for more space at Willis.
 
toxtethogrady
Posts: 1861
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2000 12:33 pm

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:20 pm

afcjets wrote:
AFAIK United once had their entire HQs in Elk Grove Village near ORD, but Stephen Wolf wanted his and other executives offices in downtown Chicago and their HQ remains split today. It seems UA could have a really impressive unified sprawling HQ and training center (similiar to what AA had at Centreport) in all the vacant land around DEN and for a lot less, even if IL gives them concessions. Also, DEN was once a hub for CO, their largest one before being surpassed by IAH, and was also their HQ before they moved to LAX and eventually IAH.


If it moves anywhere, it would be Houston.
 
User avatar
kngkyle
Posts: 507
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:33 am

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:26 pm

CHI787ORD wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:
Willis Tower is out of space. A majority of those working there hate it. Scott Kirby is not a fan. Won’t be long before they re-locate, but I would venture to guess just back out by the airport.


Why make up things that are easily google-able? A quick look at their website shows that Willis Tower has at least 150,000 sq ft of vacant space.


I think the problem is that the majority of that 150,000 sq ft of vacant space is in relatively small patches throughout the building. There aren't any large contiguous chunks of office space left. Also, the building is currently undergoing $500 million in renovations to improve tenet amenities, elevators, etc. So it's unlikely the owner is looking to cut any deals, especially given the building is ~95% leased. Unlike when United first moved there and the building had literally millions of empty sq ft.

A rumor that I've heard is that they are looking at leasing space in the Old Main Post Office (a few blocks from Sears) which is currently being redeveloped. Looks like it'll be a pretty awesome and unique space. https://chicago.curbed.com/chicago-deve ... ngs-photos
 
jakubz
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 9:48 pm

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:32 pm

CHI787ORD wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:
Willis Tower is out of space. A majority of those working there hate it. Scott Kirby is not a fan. Won’t be long before they re-locate, but I would venture to guess just back out by the airport.


Why make up things that are easily google-able? A quick look at their website shows that Willis Tower has at least 150,000 sq ft of vacant space.

I also know a few people working in the HQ and the proximity to Union Station and the CTA lines is very appreciated by them. Haven't heard any gripes about the space.


Per wikipedia, the Sears Tower (sorry, I refuse to call it Willis) has 3,787,200 sf. If the vacant space is 200,000, that comes out to about 5%. Only one floor (47 @ about 50k s.f.) looks like it's completely empty, and that is at least 3 elevator rides from any current United floor. All the other available spaces are parcels here and there in the building.

While I lived in the burbs, I commuted into Union Station. There is also Olgilvie and LaSalle St, plus the Qunicy CTA station nearby. Mass Transit is great around the Sears Tower.
KORD>RJAA>KORD day trip? Why not! The beauty of SA!
Yes, I use ICAO codes
Flown: PA-28, PA-38
Passenger on: A319/A320, A380, 737, 747-400, 757, 767, 777, 787-8/9
Finally got on a 747!

My comment are my own. I don't speak for any company.
 
User avatar
AVENSAB727
Posts: 1394
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:02 am

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:33 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
Willis Tower is out of space. A majority of those working there hate it. Scott Kirby is not a fan. Won’t be long before they re-locate, but I would venture to guess just back out by the airport.

If HQ were to ever relocate, it would be to Houston, but that is very unlikely.
Always look on the bright side of Life!
 
User avatar
United787
Posts: 2939
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 12:20 pm

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:33 pm

OMG, where are you people getting your information?

Stephen Wolf left United in 1994.
United moved it's headquarters to downtown (77 W. Wacker) in 2007 under Glenn Tilton.
United started moving into the Sears Tower in 2010 and finished in 2013 under Glenn Tilton and then Jeff Smisek in 2012. I believe this included the HQ offices.

Also, I don't see UA moving back out to the suburbs. United, McDonald's and many other companies have moved back downtown so they can attract young cheap talent. That is where the future is. Also, many executives want to live downtown also. And for those that don't, the Metra trains are within a couple blocks and will take them comfortably to almost any suburb of their choice. The cost of the leases downtown are such a minor cost to the company so that even in a downturn, I don't see this changing. I am sure the benefits of the labor pool downtown far outweigh whatever premium they have to pay on downtown rents, if any at all.
Last edited by United787 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:33 pm

Keep UA in Chicago. Get Boeing back in Seattle.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?
 
Judge1310
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:55 pm

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:37 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
Willis Tower is out of space. A majority of those working there hate it. Scott Kirby is not a fan. Won’t be long before they re-locate, but I would venture to guess just back out by the airport.



Willis Tower is NOT out of space, neither physically nor cost-efficiency-wise. Does waiting for a couple of lifts to get to your floor happen? Yeah, only during "rush-hours". UA will be in Willis for the foreseeable future...
 
winginit
Posts: 2885
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:04 pm

OA412 wrote:
I'm not sure relocating to Denver would really save UA all that much money. Denver rents are not cheap, and they keep climbing. It's now the most expensive non-coastal city in the country.


Is there a source for that? Because I'm pretty sure Chicago has a much greater cost of living than Denver unless we're counting Chicago as some sort of lake 'coastal'.
 
77H
Posts: 1570
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:15 pm

While I'm not sure UA would ever consider moving its HQ to DEN I feel like there is opportunity to move the MTX/TechOps there. EWR and SFO are maxed out on space and LAX real estate is at a premium. ORD's runway reconfig looks to be eating into available land for MTX hangars, if memory serves, a few hangars have been taken down or will soon enough though I'm not sure who they belong to.

DEN seems like a semi-logical place to base a vastly expanded MTX/TechOps facility that could even replace SFO's in the future. I say semi-logical because there is ample space to expand at DEN and the hub is located in the middle of all of UA's other hubs which could make cycling planes in and out easy. On the other hand, UA, like many airlines now farm out a lot of the MTX work to 3rd party vendors so having a vast MTX/TechOps facility is probably not as important as it once was.

77H
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1890
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:31 pm

UA did consider moving its headquarters around the time of bankruptcy. Denver made a strong bid with incentives. San Francisco also bid, though I'm not sure how hard. Ultimately, UA doubled down on Chicago.

https://www.denverpost.com/2006/07/05/d ... dquarters/

After the merger, UA moved all the pilot training to Denver. Houston got to keep the flight attendant training.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
CHI787ORD
Posts: 817
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:27 am

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:34 pm

At this point, there would have to be a strategic reason to relocate. Moving a company HQ is disruptive to many people's lives. Also, UA benchmarks its salaries against AA and DL. They are more concerned with what other airlines are paying employees rather than what the local market rate is. AvGeeks and people who really want to work for an airline tend to stay in the industry. I doubt that personnel costs savings moving to DEN would be that much.
 
User avatar
OA412
Moderator
Posts: 4783
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:45 pm

winginit wrote:
OA412 wrote:
I'm not sure relocating to Denver would really save UA all that much money. Denver rents are not cheap, and they keep climbing. It's now the most expensive non-coastal city in the country.


Is there a source for that? Because I'm pretty sure Chicago has a much greater cost of living than Denver unless we're counting Chicago as some sort of lake 'coastal'.

I didn't remember correctly. It's the most expensive non-coastal housing market in the country. http://www.cpr.org/news/story/denver-ne ... nging-soon
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
bridge29
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:55 pm

Lots of corporate HQs are moving to the city because, quite frankly, that is where a lot of well-educated and employable people want to live these days.
 
drdisque
Posts: 1320
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 am

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:24 pm

UA still has FA training in their old training center in Elk Grove and has various operations departments in the "North Building" in Elk Grove which was built in the mid 1990s after the original North Building had a fire. The larger South Building has been vacated and mothballed. It was built in the early 60s, is in poor condition and would be expensive to demolish because it's full of asbestos. UA had the whole site on the market for a while but ended up just selling the northwest corner of the site which was formerly parking.
 
afcjets
Topic Author
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:41 pm

727200 wrote:
A couple of points:

1) UA moved downtown because Wolf lived downtown along with several of the other Officers of the company. Specifically in the Bloomingdale building where he had two floors complete to himself and his then wife.

2) UA looked at DEN several years back when they talked of gathering bids for the new HQ. Obviously ORD won out partly because of the deal they were given and its tough to leave the #3 city in America with all its implications and go to #21 with a population 1/4 of what they presently have.

3) They wont be leaving ORD anytime soon. There are too many corporations based there, its the #3 media center of the US, and its hub is there. To give those up for a location with less 'attributes' pretty much is corporate suicide.



The trend has always been airlines move HQ to smaller cities though. Eastern and Pan Am left NYC for MIA. AA left NYC for DFW. TW left NYC area for STL which is smaller than DEN. CO left LAX for IAH. Wolf likely would have relocated US from DCA had he not had a home in Middleburg, VA.

What do other corporations based in ORD have to do with UA deciding to stay there? Boeing may have liked having one of their largest customers in the town they choose but to UA it shouldn't matter. I also don't see the relevance of it being a media center. That didn't stop other airlines from leaving NYC and LAX.


United787 wrote:

OMG, where are you people getting your information?

Stephen Wolf left United in 1994.
United moved it's headquarters to downtown (77 W. Wacker) in 2007 under Glenn Tilton.


Stephen Wolf only moved the executive offices to downtown, a very small part of the HQ.
 
afcjets
Topic Author
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:57 pm

United1 wrote:
Also UA is very much a company that has a strong "Chicago's Hometown Airline" identity...it would be like asking DL to leave ATL...never going to happen.


I agree they have that identity, but I don't think it is nearly as strong as between DL and ATL. Chicago is both a much larger city than ATL, and two other major airlines also have large hubs there, it is not really a fortress hub like ATL is for DL. Also, UA considered relocating from ORD whereas DL has never considered leaving ATL, unless only recently for a brief minute over GA politicians slamming DL for ending NRA discounts.
 
United1
Posts: 4164
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:00 pm

afcjets wrote:
727200 wrote:
A couple of points:

1) UA moved downtown because Wolf lived downtown along with several of the other Officers of the company. Specifically in the Bloomingdale building where he had two floors complete to himself and his then wife.

2) UA looked at DEN several years back when they talked of gathering bids for the new HQ. Obviously ORD won out partly because of the deal they were given and its tough to leave the #3 city in America with all its implications and go to #21 with a population 1/4 of what they presently have.

3) They wont be leaving ORD anytime soon. There are too many corporations based there, its the #3 media center of the US, and its hub is there. To give those up for a location with less 'attributes' pretty much is corporate suicide.



The trend has always been airlines move HQ to smaller cities though. Eastern and Pan Am left NYC for MIA. AA left NYC for DFW. TW left NYC area for STL which is smaller than DEN. CO left LAX for IAH. Wolf likely would have relocated US from DCA had he not had a home in Middleburg, VA.

What do other corporations based in ORD have to do with UA deciding to stay there? Boeing may have liked having one of their largest customers in the town they choose but to UA it shouldn't matter. I also don't see the relevance of it being a media center. That didn't stop other airlines from leaving NYC and LAX.


United787 wrote:

OMG, where are you people getting your information?

Stephen Wolf left United in 1994.
United moved it's headquarters to downtown (77 W. Wacker) in 2007 under Glenn Tilton.


Stephen Wolf only moved the executive offices to downtown, a very small part of the HQ.


UA moved its C level offices to 77 W Wacker in 2007. Scott Wolf wasn't involved in that move.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
Beechtobus
Posts: 519
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:09 am

afcjets wrote:
727200 wrote:
A couple of points:

1) UA moved downtown because Wolf lived downtown along with several of the other Officers of the company. Specifically in the Bloomingdale building where he had two floors complete to himself and his then wife.

2) UA looked at DEN several years back when they talked of gathering bids for the new HQ. Obviously ORD won out partly because of the deal they were given and its tough to leave the #3 city in America with all its implications and go to #21 with a population 1/4 of what they presently have.

3) They wont be leaving ORD anytime soon. There are too many corporations based there, its the #3 media center of the US, and its hub is there. To give those up for a location with less 'attributes' pretty much is corporate suicide.



The trend has always been airlines move HQ to smaller cities though. Eastern and Pan Am left NYC for MIA. AA left NYC for DFW. TW left NYC area for STL which is smaller than DEN. CO left LAX for IAH. Wolf likely would have relocated US from DCA had he not had a home in Middleburg, VA.

What do other corporations based in ORD have to do with UA deciding to stay there? Boeing may have liked having one of their largest customers in the town they choose but to UA it shouldn't matter. I also don't see the relevance of it being a media center. That didn't stop other airlines from leaving NYC and LAX.


United787 wrote:

OMG, where are you people getting your information?

Stephen Wolf left United in 1994.
United moved it's headquarters to downtown (77 W. Wacker) in 2007 under Glenn Tilton.


Stephen Wolf only moved the executive offices to downtown, a very small part of the HQ.


Agreed, I don’t really understand the relevance of Denver’s size vs. Chicago disqualifying it from being United’s HQ. We’re not talking about moving UAs dominant hub there, just the headquarters functions, the traveling public would never notice. At the end of the day, metro Denver is home to 3.4 million statistically younger and far more educated people than the national average, more than enough run an airline.

Denver has long been a very important city for UA. Until the merger, it was their number 2 hub for many years (often a very close number 2). It was the location of their largest reservation center, their IT department and subsidiary IT companies Appolo and Covia, and still houses their pilot training facility.

Headquarters definitely don’t have to be in an Airlines largest hub: the joint US/HP left their hub in their number 3 city, PHX. US had its HQ in the DC area where PIT, CLT, PHL, and NYC were all larger hubs. WNs HQ remains in DAL where they have many larger cities.

The problem lies within the corporate culture in Denver; it simply not an overly friendly city for corporations with relatively high local and state taxes and levies. I think that if Denver had (or was even able to) sweeten the deal and offer tax breaks, pay for construction, or other incentives, we would very likely have seen a new UA HQ in the Stapleton area.

That said, I don’t think they will be leaving Chicago anytime soon.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8076
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:10 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
One has to remember too the cost and hassle in moving a corporate headquarters from one city to another especially with a big company like United.


CHI787ORD wrote:
At this point, there would have to be a strategic reason to relocate. Moving a company HQ is disruptive to many people's lives.


Does it occur to you that firms can relo as a strategy to cut existing staff?

https://danielsethics.mgt.unm.edu/pdf/s ... -study.pdf

You want a culture change? Leave a few thousand people behind in Chicago. It's ugly but it gets to a central capitalist question - Is the firm being run for shareholders, or for employees?
 
jetero
Posts: 4673
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:43 am

afcjets wrote:
AFAIK United once had their entire HQs in Elk Grove Village near ORD, but Stephen Wolf wanted his and other executives offices in downtown Chicago and their HQ remains split today. It seems UA could have a really impressive unified sprawling HQ and training center (similiar to what AA had at Centreport) in all the vacant land around DEN and for a lot less, even if IL gives them concessions. Also, DEN was once a hub for CO, their largest one before being surpassed by IAH, and was also their HQ before they moved to LAX and eventually IAH.


What constitutes in your mind “a lot less, even if IL gives them concessions?” Tens of millions? Hundreds of millions?
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7285
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:16 am

If anything they'll move it to Houston where they still have a sizeable corporate presence. And Houston has learned from their crappy Amazon HQ2 bid to make a sweetheart deal. They even lost the bid to keep the flight training center there, both bid losses have struck a cord with Mayor Turner to where if seems the City of Houston will go out of the way to secure another corporate bid.

Sucks too because the City allegedly promised to extend Metrorail to IAH and build more hotels and retail in the IAH area for the training center. That, and my family has been directly affected by UAs decision to consolidate in Denver.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
jetero
Posts: 4673
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:30 am

TWA772LR wrote:
If anything they'll move it to Houston where they still have a sizeable corporate presence. And Houston has learned from their crappy Amazon HQ2 bid to make a sweetheart deal. They even lost the bid to keep the flight training center there, both bid losses have struck a cord with Mayor Turner to where if seems the City of Houston will go out of the way to secure another corporate bid.

Sucks too because the City allegedly promised to extend Metrorail to IAH and build more hotels and retail in the IAH area for the training center. That, and my family has been directly affected by UAs decision to consolidate in Denver.


TWA, sorry to hear about the above. I take it your father is a flight instructor?

The City of Houston has nothing to give/“deal” when it comes to these things. Just property tax abatements. It’s peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

In any case, incentives should be outlawed due to the ICC. Very irresponsible governance.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7285
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:04 am

jetero wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
If anything they'll move it to Houston where they still have a sizeable corporate presence. And Houston has learned from their crappy Amazon HQ2 bid to make a sweetheart deal. They even lost the bid to keep the flight training center there, both bid losses have struck a cord with Mayor Turner to where if seems the City of Houston will go out of the way to secure another corporate bid.

Sucks too because the City allegedly promised to extend Metrorail to IAH and build more hotels and retail in the IAH area for the training center. That, and my family has been directly affected by UAs decision to consolidate in Denver.


TWA, sorry to hear about the above. I take it your father is a flight instructor?

The City of Houston has nothing to give/“deal” when it comes to these things. Just property tax abatements. It’s peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

In any case, incentives should be outlawed due to the ICC. Very irresponsible governance.

Thank you for your concern jetero (totally love the Will Clayton Pkwy reference btw). We're a family that makes the best out of sticky situations so we're making it work as good as we can.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
User avatar
ual747den
Posts: 1604
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:29 pm

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:52 am

I don't think that UA will be relocating to DEN anytime soon. The incentives that UA would want are not something that they would get in Denver at the moment. Right now the entire area is growing like crazy and the cost of living is skyrocketing so people do not want the state to offer huge incentives for large corporations to move in at the moment. We are currently among the finalists for Amazon HQ2 and the tax incentives being offered by the state are substantially less than what other cities are offering however the state remains competitive because of its huge pool of young educated workforce and the most important asset, our location. People want to live here, and because of that companies traditionally have to pay less for employees because they have a larger pool of people to choose from. I just read an article yesterday about how doctors make less here than any other city of its size and they attribute that to the fact that Denver is a place where people want to be.

I personally would love it if United would relocate here, I've spent years and years commuting to ORD for work and it would be a nice change. UA has very deep ties here in Denver and there are many people like me who work for UA HQ and have to commute to downtown Chicago most days. Luckily we do have a big presence with the Flight Training Center here so there are times when we can work from those offices but again I just don't see it happening in this current environment. Colorado will be getting a new Governor and from the looks of things Denver will be getting a new Mayor soon so you never know things may change!
Frontier Airlines - Low Fares Done Right
 
User avatar
OneSexyL1011
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:10 pm

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:10 am

WHQ isn't going anywhere anytime soon. That is NOT happening.

The NOC however, needs to get out of that tower ASAP. Its such a crammed cluster F in there and the floor layout is absolutely detrimental to a proper functioning NOC environment. It has absolutely NO business being in that building.
 
tpaewr
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat May 19, 2001 9:01 am

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:44 am

With both Chicago & Houston labeled as CSC "Corporate Support Centers", HQ is now a passé term. I doubt Denver will be coming in as a 3rd.


The old (and run down) complex at Elkgrove is largely abondon expect for use as a training center for (mostly) UGS. While not official it maybe sold off as well.


I was there last month and took advantage of the chance to take some ghostly pictures of the largely empty old HQ. It was a cool window into the past.
 
afcjets
Topic Author
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: Has United considered relocating to DEN?

Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:13 pm

United1 wrote:
UA moved downtown because Wolf lived downtown along with several of the other Officers of the company. Specifically in the Bloomingdale building where he had two floors complete to himself and his then wife.


United1 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
United787 wrote:
OMG, where are you people getting your information?

Stephen Wolf left United in 1994.
United moved it's headquarters to downtown (77 W. Wacker) in 2007 under Glenn Tilton.


Stephen Wolf only moved the executive offices to downtown, a very small part of the HQ.


UA moved its C level offices to 77 W Wacker in 2007. Scott Wolf wasn't involved in that move.


Before that Stephen Wolf who was CEO from 1987-1994 moved his office to downtown Chicago and I assume other key executives (it wouldn't make sense for him to be down there by himself). Perhaps they moved those few offices back to Elk Grove after he left as it served no purpose other than that's what he wanted.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos