Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VH-BZF
Topic Author

Vale - Ansett Australia / 61 Years!

Sun Mar 03, 2002 9:24 pm

Well it is with great sadness that tomorrow the 4th of March 2002 will see the final flights ever of what once a proud and great airline - ANSETT.

I had 15 fantastic years working for this company and it is with a tear in my eye, that I shall bid it farewell (again) tomorrow!
It is extremely sad to see all the jets (B767's, B737's, A320's, Ba'e 146 & CRJ) all parked & crammed in around the Ansett maintenance hangers at Tullamarine & awaiting new liveries & homes.
I feel for All my fellow colleagues with out jobs now (I also spare a thought for all those other airline employees affected by 9-11 & those who have lost the jobs they loved!), I guess frustration is what comes to mind? Life will go on & I will find another job, but it has not been easy since September last year!

I will always remember the great times, the people, the passengers & unfortunately the managers & shareholders who are ultimately reponsible for the demise of this former Aussie Icon. In the words of the Administrators - Ansett Australia will NEVER fly again!

ANSETT - Gone, but never forgotten!

Just my 2c worth. Add yours if you wish!

VH-BZF (also gone from the AN fleet!)

ps. Did TNT, NEWS ltd & Air NZ screw ANSETT? - ABSOLUTELY!
Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!

Skystar

RE: Vale - Ansett Australia / 66 Years!

Sun Mar 03, 2002 9:37 pm

Ansett's 66 years old  Smile
Will be there for the final ever passenger SYD-MEL tomorrow  Sad

Cheers,

Justin

VapourTrails

RE: Vale - Ansett Australia

Sun Mar 03, 2002 9:51 pm

Sad day for last captain
By ROBYN RILEY
Sunday Herald Sun
03mar02

MARK Littlely will take little pleasure in becoming part of Australian history on Tuesday when he pilots the last Ansett flight into Melbourne.

Captain Littlely, 39, will fly AN170 from Perth, touching down at Melbourne Airport shortly after 6am in what he said would be a melancholy duty.

"I will be sad, because it could be the last time I fly a plane for an airline in Australia," Capt Littlely said yesterday.

But he admitted the flight also would be very special to him.

"I plan to have a ball and enjoy the moment," he said.

"It will be special and I do feel very proud."

Colleagues have asked Capt Littlely how he feels about Tuesday's flight and how he would approach it mentally and physically.

"When I get into an aeroplane and physically strap myself in, all the turmoil disappears and I tune into what I have to do," said the Oaklands father of two.

"I do not have a problem with it, I plan to just enjoy the moment."

He said he hoped it would be one of the best in his 20-year aviation career.

"In 10 years, when I look back on it, I want to remember this flight with pride," Capt Littlely said.

"Ansett has been fantastic for me and it is disappointing to see it end in such a tragic set of circumstances."

He said he was not angry with businessmen Lindsay Fox and Solomon Lew for failing to resurrect the airline.

"I believe they did want to get the airline up and running," Capt Littlely said. "I can't believe they would spend so much time and effort for no reward. The feeling in the pilot group is that the Federal Government has a lot to answer for."

He said if it had been Qantas in trouble, the Government would have produced its chequebook and asked, "How much do you need?"

"It was lip-service to help Ansett achieve a second status. I really do believe Fox and Lew could have gone out and given it a good shake."

As for the redundancy package guaranteed by the Government, Capt Littlely said every Ansett employee would give it up "in an instant" for the chance to work for the company again.

"We all just wanted to stay and get Ansett back up and running," he said.

Capt Littlely, who grew up in Perth, joined Ansett 12 years ago and became a captain three years later.

He said he was fortunate he had been able to continue flying since the airline was first grounded last September.

"Obviously I was very disappointed with the news this week that the bid to save Ansett had failed," he said.

"I have gone through the anger and frustration and now I will probably let the dust settle before deciding what I do next."

He doubts there will be a job for him at Qantas.

"And if there was, I would have to go back to being a second officer," he said.

"The Qantas system would not take me in as a captain and I would be looking at probably another 10-15 years before I got back to where I am now.

"If Virgin Blue expanded, perhaps there might be something there. I don't know.

"The next step for me would be to work internationally, but since September 11 there are not as many jobs for pilots, so I really don't know what we will do."

For the moment Capt Littlely said he would spend some time with wife, Lucy, and their children Lucas, 3 and Greta, four months.

"As of Tuesday morning I am unemployed, but I am not worried," he said.

"We will just go back to Perth. My mum and dad and Lucy's parents are there and we know they will open their hearts and homes to us.

"We have fantastic family support. Everything will work out."

----------------------------------

Goodbye forever Ansett, the end of an era..  Crying

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Frank Schaefer

Click for large version

Photo © Steven Kaplan

Click for large version

Photo © Jason Milligan

Click for large version

Photo © Glenn Alderton

Click for large version

Photo © Frank Schaefer

Click for large version

Photo © Jason Milligan

Crying  Sad  Crying

VH-BZF
Topic Author

RE: Vale - Ansett Australia / 61 Years!

Sun Mar 03, 2002 9:59 pm

Thanks Skystar, 66 years - my mistake!

Thanks for including the great shots VapourTrails, brings back great memories!

BZF

VapourTrails

RE: Vale - Ansett Australia -- Great Memories

Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:04 pm

That's OK VH-BZF. Great memories for me too - loyal passenger for 30 years.

Click for large version

Photo © David Morrell

Big thumbs up

Skystar

Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:10 pm

Ahh, you've reminded me again. Mark gave me my first jumpseat ride & landing back in 1998 on a MEL-PER flight. So sad, so sad.

The sadness will really hit me, when I touchdown tomorrow evening, on the final SYD-MEL passenger flight  Sad

Cheers,

Justin

tsentsan

Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:14 pm

I'm still deciding on whether to be on the last Ansett out of Perth tomorrow night. It'll cost me $800 for that, and return on DJ.

Pls anyone.. give me some support on this.
NO URLS in signature

VapourTrails

RE: Last Ansett Flight

Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:21 pm

Skystar, I really hope you and everyone enjoys the last SYD-MEL Ansett passenger flight tomorrow evening. Sad  Smile

My last Ansett flight was May last year on an A320 [still have the boarding pass]. It was a really good flight and I remember it well in detail, even though then of course I didn't know it would be my last.  Crying

Click for large version

Photo © Jason Milligan

Click for large version

Photo © Craig Murray

Click for large version

Photo © Craig Murray

Click for large version

Photo © David Morrell

Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:32 pm

Same goes VapourTrails- I didn't realise it would have been my last flight in June last year...from TSV to BNE, 0600-0745, AN123, B737 VH-CZD.

The reason I took the flight was because AN had sent me in the mail a global rewards promo- "it's been a while" voucher for an upgrade to business...oh well, sad to see Ansett go, but I feel content knowing I did it to the max.

Who knows...no-one probably expected in the early 1930s there would be an Ansett Airlines...who can say for the future?

SixStarAnsett

TSV

Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:59 pm

Go on! Spend that $ 800 + for a piece of history!

If I had the chance I would.

The worst part would be having to return on DJ!

My last AN flight was Thursday September 6 / Friday September 7, 2001; PER-BNE-CNS(-WEI on Flight West which was also AN as they were running it then). Still have Boarding Passes (and Safety Cards for that matter as thought they might be in trouble - BUT didn't use my Global Rewards points with a Star partner for a UK trip the next fortnight did I?)
"I told you I was ill ..." Spike Milligan

carnoc

Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:10 pm

Ansett, my lover!

You know, I don't wanna say good bye!

But, but, you're leaving us for ever, for ever!

I miss you until my life has been gone.

I keep all artciles from you, even the first Email issued by Ansett Australia.

Wish you could be back and never leave me!

That's my wish, that's my best regard!

See you, Ansett; See you, Global Rewards; See you, my lover!

VH-BZF
Topic Author

Mon Mar 04, 2002 9:22 am

I just wanted to add these classic photos of my user name - thanks to Craig Murray & Frank Schaefer & all the photographers who have done justice to this great airline - thanks for the memories!

Enjoy!

Click for large version

Photo © Craig Murray

Click for large version

Photo © Craig Murray

Click for large version

Photo © Frank Schaefer

Click for large version

Photo © Craig Murray

Click for large version

Photo © Rod Callins

Finally two shots of AN B767's I really have enjoyed!

Click for large version

Photo © Craig Murray

Click for large version

Photo © Rod Callins

BZF

Al

Mon Mar 04, 2002 9:45 am

Anyone in SYD that wants to be part of history, be at SYD at 0645 on Tue 05 Mar. This is the arrival of the AN152, which is the absolute last revenue movement for AN. I believe there are plans underway for several hundred current and ex SYD staff to be there in all manner of past and current uniforms to provide a human guard of honour along the Ansett aprons as AN152 taxies in to the gate. Representing all AN family members past and present at this final movement, at 0645 05/03/02 will be 66 years, 15 days, 20 hours and 45 minutes since the first little Fokker departed Hamilton for Melbourne.
Although the fat lady has sung and is returning for her encore, a frog could yet develop in her throat before she finishes singing. More should be known this afternoon.

With apologies to W.H. Auden :

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone
Prevent the dog barking with a fat juicy bone
Silence the piano and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come
Let aeroplanes circle, moaning way overhead
Scribbling on the sky a message "Ansett Is Dead"
Put the crepe bow round the white necks of doves
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves
Ansett was my North, my South, East and West
My working week, my days of rest
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song
I thought it would last forever, but how I was wrong
The stars are not wanted now, put out every one
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

Goodbye my Lovely Lady.

USAFHummer

Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:18 pm

I am really sad to see this happen, even as an American who has only flown Ansett twice:

AN 910
SYD-CNS
June 29, 2001
767-200

AN 227
CNS-SYD
July 26, 2001
737-300

Far and away the most enjoyable flights of my life(the TR is still up on the TR forum)...this is truly sad to see this happen to such a superb airline...we will miss you Ansett!!!!!!!  Sad

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Megatop747-412

Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:22 pm

Well, I am also deeply saddened to see such a great airline go. Oh well at least I have had a chance to fly Ansett, altho in a rather "bizzare" circumstance, way back in Dec 98. I was originally booked on QF for BNE-SYD on Thursday 10 Dec 1998, but the QF flight was cancelled as the QF plane had a technical fault, and we were all transferred to AN. Was a fantastic flight I must say, although we didn't get good seats (due to the full flight resulting from QF's canx), but I still thoroughly enjoyed it!

Too all AN employees (and all aviation-related employees post Sept 11), may God Bless you all...

rpwgw

Mon Mar 04, 2002 4:21 pm

I have flown about 260 sectors on AN both in NZ and Australia and on AN international all classes since they started in NZ in 1987. Ansett was the epitome of class and service and I really enjoyed being connected with it as a passenger and when my lovely wife worked for them in New Zealand. The memories I have of jump seats and first class seats. Of champagne and canapes in first class. Of excellent economy service.

Aircraft like BZF and the 146s just excite me - I'll never forget them. Service was always fantastic - totally at odds with my five sectors last week on QF about which I promise to post a trip report by the weekend.

I'm happy I always used points to upgrade and still had two international trips on NZ redeemed after the collapse last year. Only lost 10000 points.

Good bye Ansett my old friend.

'Longreach'

Mon Mar 04, 2002 4:36 pm

What time does the a/c leave Perth with Mark flying it?
Can anyone tell me cause I cant find it on the websites.

THanks

carnoc

Mon Mar 04, 2002 6:25 pm

The final Ansett flight takes off from Perth for Sydney at 11:45pm Perth time.

tsentsan

Mon Mar 04, 2002 6:27 pm

Too bad nobody supported me on this otherwise I'd be on it.
NO URLS in signature

aussiestu

Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:02 pm

As an employee for BA I used Ansett a lot to travel home to SYD. They are and always will be classed as the best airline ever. The service was fantastic and staff the friendliest ever. You will be greatly missed by many. A few silent moments to remember this great company!

Skystar

Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:06 pm

Well, I'm kaputt. What a day it's been, I've just come back from the last ever Ansett Sydney-Melbourne A320 service, been to two parties in the Golden Wing lounges of MEL & SYD, and farewelled the final MEL-PER from the tarmac in a sea of faces. Trip report to come.

Tsentsan, I did note one message of support above.

Ansett, we will truly miss you.

Cheers,

Justin

garuda

Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:16 am

Farewell to one of the best airline in the world.

I'm fortunate enough to fly with them twice, BNE-MEL and MEL-SYD sectors on June-July 2001.

Indeed, Ansett has a special place in my heart. My first in-flight cockpit visit was on board Ansett's A320, which was also my first flight on an A320. My first time on board a B762 was also with Ansett, with the best landing in my life, aproaching SYD from the north with the marvelous view of Sydney harbour.

JA

tsentsan

Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:02 am

Skystar  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Did you get my Safety Card?

Anyway VH-HYI and VH-HYQ both left Perth late (of cos). VH-HYQ went to Mel and VH-HYI to Sydney.

Very emotional affair at the AN terminal. Speeches by staff, and the WA Tourism Minister (who had lots of Boos). All invited onto the tarmac, where we witnessed VH-HYI pushing back, and taxing off into the darkness after a water cannon salute. As HYI was pushing back, Qantas's VH-OJL to Sydney was on its takeoff roll, and it was greeted by lots of Boos from the crow.

A very emotional affair, many tears, many flight crews around. Wished as many as I could the very best.

Tsentsan.

Take care Ansett. We miss you.
NO URLS in signature

aussiestu

Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:53 am

Can someone post a final flight report for these flights so we know what the atmosphere and the service was like. I am sure that it was fantastic and that everybody had a great time considering the terrible lose this will be to the Australian flying industry. My heart goes out to all Ansett employees and I just wish everyone the best. You worked for a fantastic airline and this was proved by the brilliant customer service that you gave us. Take heart in the knowledge that you were the best in the industry!!!!!!!

Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:33 am

Justin,

Went to GW last night and was at SYD domestic this morning.

*tears* *sadness*

Trip report coming later, I just can't bear to write it yet.

The blackest day in Australian Aviation History.

mb

RJ_Delta

Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:39 am

Good Bye Ansett! Thanks for the excelent years serving Australia, Asia and Oceania.

Regards,
RJ_Delta.

TNboy

Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:57 am

Well, the last flight has landed and it's all over. I remember Mark Littley from his days as a pilot with Karratha Flying Services, when he and Mark Diamond (an Ansett F28 captain, then 737 FO) were based at the small Western Australia outback mining town of Pannawonica, flying pax and supplies from Karratha to Panna. As I recall, Mark Littley joined Ansett at the time of the Aussie pilots strike, which caused massive upheaves within Australia, and the loss of many fine pilots to overseas. I flew AN regularly for 13 years - almost weekly for the last few years. I almost lived in seat 1B on almost every 737 in the fleet. I recall with great fondness (and sadness now), being on the inaugural Ansett international flight. It was an A320 from Perth-Bali (Denpasar). On the same day, AN also flew 767 flights to Bali from Sydney and Melbourne - claiming the Sydney flight as the inaugural, because then CEO Graeme McMahon and other assorted dignitaries were on board. The crew and pax received mementos, etc., while the crew of the flight from Perth, which was the real inaugural, having landed and taken off again from Bali long before the Sydney flight arrived, got nothing. I was annoyed that we arrived with no fanfare, but the red carpet was rolled out for the VIP hours later, and, as a humble passenger, wrote to McMahon to say so. To his credit, he later presented the A320 crew from Perth with the same memento as the Sydney crew received. Oh well, the Ansett crews were always just that bit better than any management that employed them.
Australia was always lucky to have Ansett and TAA - for my money the two best domestic airlines in the world. Now Ansett is gone and TAA has been absorbed into Qantas - but can still claim to be at least one of the world's best.
I'm sure it will work hard to stay that way - and help us all remember the halcyon days of TAA and Ansett - best in the world!
TNboy
"...every aircraft is subtly different.."

kjet12

Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:14 am

Sad day in aviation history.  Crying

Thanks for all the great memories Ansett!

Click for large version

Photo © George Canciani

Click for large version

Photo © Neville Murphy

Click for large version

Photo © Neville Murphy

Click for large version

Photo © Craig Murray

AA - Doing what we do best.

Air Taiwan

Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:54 pm

Very sad, very very sad.

One of my goals after I finish my course in Avaition Management (UNSW) is to go work for Ansett... Now... I don't know...

Best airline -- Ansett

Jimmy

TAA_Airbus

AN152 PER-SYD Last REV Flight!

Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:43 pm

Well I guess Im now apart of history as I was on the last ever revenue flight arriving sydney from Perth this morning.

It was a flight of mixed emotion. The pilots were very sad, the cabin crew managed to put on brave faces and find joy in all of it. Most passengers were proud to be apart of the occiasion.

3 TV stations had camera crews and reporters on board, so they kept at it the whole flight. Other journalists and photographers. The first 3 rows were filled with eastern states based employees hitching there last ride home.

The cockpit door was basically open for anyone to walk in.

At Perth, on taxi out to the runway, the background music and the quietness made it remeniscent of the final scene from Gallipoli where they were all about to face the inevitable death.

And before the flight, there were a few hundred people there including passengers, employees and well wishers all saying there final good byes. Speeches were made along with the final boarding call for an Ansett Australia Flight (a very touching moment).

Im very glad to have been apart of the experience. Good luck to all the employees and employees families for the future, our thoughts are with you.

Ansett Australia 1936-2002

Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:53 pm

Copied from EWR Loco's post on pprune:

The turbines roar has died down again
They've dimmed the terminal globes
An Airbus climbs into the night one last time
Down a long well travelled road
The dreams and love of thousands
Climbs on into the night
A dream, a hope, a way of life
Riding with the last lone flight.

Memories of Viscounts
Of DC3s and 4s
The millions of our mates
Who passed between our doors
The late late nights and diverted flights
And teams second to none
An australian icon fades away
Our golden era is truly done.

Somewhere in the distance
Beyond our line of sight
A Boeing 727
Is readying for flight
All doors are closed, holds secured
Pratt and Whitneys all alight
With a parting word to Australia
Romeo Mike Alpha claims the night.

MEA

Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:04 pm

I will miss those A320s flying over my house. A sad moment!

will

Tue Mar 05, 2002 3:23 pm

Hi,

It is sad to see a great airline go. I worked for AN for 10 years in which time I did my apprenticeship, attained a engineering licence, made lots of good friends, travelled heaps and met my girl.

Thanks Ansett.

I’ll miss you.

Will Lanting.

VapourTrails

RE: Vale - Ansett Australia

Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:55 pm

I've almost worn my Shine CD out playing the song. Crying
The news reports are very sad too. Crying

Click for large version

Photo © Sam Chui

Click for large version

Photo © Craig Murray

Click for large version

Photo © Craig Murray

Click for large version

Photo © Frank Schaefer

Click for large version

Photo © Frank Schaefer

Click for large version

Photo © Andy Martin

Click for large version

Photo © Glenn Alderton

Just about everyone in Australia knows at least one person who has worked for AN at some stage in it's 66 year history.

Click for large version

Photo © Jason Milligan

Click for large version

Photo © Frank Schaefer

Click for large version

Photo © Frank Schaefer

Click for large version

Photo © Glenn Alderton

Click for large version

Photo © Glenn Alderton

Click for large version

Photo © David Knudsen

Crying

Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:30 pm

Hey guys,

Would anyone happen to have any of the AN television ads that were aired in the last 2 years? I had them but someone else taped over my video tape.

Now I want them desperately.

mb

VapourTrails

RE: Last Ansett Flight Touches Down - News Article

Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:56 pm

Final Ansett flight touches down
AAP
05mar02

THE captain of the last ever Ansett passenger flight has described the event as the end of an era.

Geoff McDonald captained flight AN 152, which arrived at Sydney Airport at 6.45am (AEDT) filled mostly with journalists capturing the end of an era in Australia's aviation history.

Capt McDonald said it was a sad day for all Ansett staff, who were now faced with an uncertain future.

"When I joined the company I said I'd reached the pinnacle of my career and we thought that this was a job for life and a job that we would only leave when we were ready to retire," he told Channel Seven News.

"The last thing I expected was to end my career 12 years earlier than was planned."

About 50 Ansett workers and onlookers farewelled the plane from Perth at 11.50pm WST (2.50am AEDT).

It also received the traditional airport salute of water sprayed from fire engines as it taxied onto the tarmac, as the last post played.

The plane will return to Melbourne carrying only staff later this morning, where it will join dozens of other Ansett planes in storage.

Meanwhile, a few weary Ansett workers have met the last ever passenger flight into Melbourne.

Flight AN 170 from Perth landed in Melbourne on time at 5.45am (AEDT).

Several Ansett workers who had partied at the Melbourne terminal through the night as part of a series of wakes around the country waved passengers off the flight.

The captain of the flight, Mark Littley, said the last 24 hours had been emotional and he had not had time to contemplate his future.

"I was just commenting to my first officer, `This is the last time we're going to be talking to Perth approach' and `This is the last time we're going to the talking to Melbourne approach', and things like that," he told ABC radio in Melbourne.

"I don't think it's really hit me at this point ... maybe in 24 or 48 hours when I actually get up and think well, hell, I'm not going to be able to go flying now, particularly for this airline."

A welcoming party for the final guests was provided by the Sydney Airport Corporation, an Ansett spokesman said.

The failed airline went into administration in September last year.

Businessmen Solomon Lew and Lindsay Fox pulled their bid for the airline last week after takeover negotiations fell through.

Speaking during the final flight, pilot Geoff McDonald said it was a sad day for all Ansett staff.

"It's an end of an era, an end of a great company, a great Australian company and the staff now are faced with an uncertain future and unemployment after the end of this flight," Mr McDonald said.

"When I joined the company I'd reached the pinnacle of my career and we thought that this is a job for life and a job we would only leave when we're ready to retire.

"The last thing I expected was to end my career 12 years earlier than I'd planned."

Click for large version

Photo © Glenn Alderton

Click for large version

Photo © Frank Schaefer

Click for large version

Photo © Glenn Alderton

Click for large version

Photo © Glenn alderton

Click for large version

Photo © Glenn alderton

wirraway

Tue Mar 05, 2002 8:39 pm

Posted on PPRuNe by Bluediamond

EWL this is for you while it is all still fresh in my mind.

I walked into the Ansett terminal at 2250 to find the farewell party in full swing. People wandered freely around with their drinks, meeting, talking, reminiscing. Everyone was there - tech crew, cabin crew, ramp rats, ticketing clerks, management, passengers, friends and relatives. The monitor read - as it had all day - AN152 Sydney boarding 2325 departure 2345. Underneath were the words "Last Ever Ansett Australia Flt." The last line stated simply, "Thank You Australia."

Shortly after 2300 we all went upstairs to the departure lounge where we jostled for position with T.V. and newspaper reporters while we listened to short speeches from various Ansett people. More drinks, more reminiscing, hugs and cuddles all round. Somehow, flight attendants had managed to appear dressed in every uniform Ansett crew had ever worn since its inception and this attracted an enormous amount of attention.

When the passengers were invited to board, we left and went downstairs where we reassembled airside in close proximity to the aircraft. A large area of the apron had been sectioned off for us with a very clear view of "Hotel Yankee India", flight 152. We could see the passengers making their way down the aerobridge and giving and receiving big hugs from the staff still on duty. The pax were also being given a white carrier bag each but I wasn't able to discover what was in them.

HYI sat in the middle of a pool of bright light, the focus of everyone's complete attention. Still connected to the aerobridge, stairs and tug, she waited while we watched with rapt attention. On her port side, the fuel tanker was in attendance and in the background, two aviation fire and rescue tenders waited patiently with lights flashing and water jets at the ready.

At 2342 the stairs at the tail were rolled back, the last bags loaded and final preparations were under way. At 2352, one of the tech crew emerged from the aircraft, bolted down the steps and, to the cheers of the assembled company, took photographs of the waiting crowd. I could not tell which pilot it was, not being close enough to count the stripes.

Our attention was temporarily drawn to the Qantas 747 which rolled out and thundered down the runway (as only a 747 can) to much good-natured booing and laughter. Then, three minutes later at 2355, the aerobridge was retracted and flight 152 was immediately on push back. Every window framed at least two waving hands while the cockpit window on the port side framed the captain leaning out to wave and shout goodbye.

The two fire tenders moved into position and at 2356 the tug disconnected and HYI was on her own. As she moved slowly forwards, the tenders sprayed their jets of water. Caught in the bright lights and the myriad camera flashes, the droplets sparkled like diamonds. Flight 152 turned onto taxiway Bravo and lined up on runway 21 for her departure. The words "Cleared for take-off" came from one of the airside vans which had been stationed near us with the radio turned up so we could hear the comm traffic.

This was the moment we had been waiting for. The engines screamed, the crowd cheered, waved, clapped, cried and whistled. (Yes, I remembered to wave for you, EWL.) Flight 152 sailed past us directly (from my point of view) underneath the brilliance of the southern cross. Seconds later, she lifted clear of the runway into a crystal clear night sky. She made her slow, graceful turn towards the east and we fell silent as we watched until the last spark of her flashing lights faded from view.

In sadness we wandered back into the terminal. The party would continue in the Golden Wing lounge for those who wished to say final goodbyes but I found myself in not quite the right mood and took a last walk around the terminal before quietly leaving.

Vale Ansett Australia. 66 years of service that shone. We will miss you

PerthGloryFan

Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:10 pm

A great piece of writing - but not let's forget that it wasn't just the Ansett name of the last 66 years flying off for the last time, but the last link to an Australian aviation heritage that stretches back to the 1920s.

Way back then the son of a shipping magnate Ivan Holyman (later to be Sir Ivan) operated a DH89 Dragon on an airservice that linked Launceston, Tasmania with Hobart and with Melbourne across the Bass Strait.

By later amalgamating with mainland airline companies this became Australia National Airlines (ANA) and by the end of WWII operated airservices from Tasmania to the Phillipines. By the late 1940's ANA had the largest domestic air route network in the world; had operated trans Pacific routes for BCPA; had extensive routes in south and east Asia by establishing, with partners, Air Ceylon and Cathay Pacific; all of which was supported by the most technically advanced engineering organisation in Asia.

But the death of its founder in 1957, combined with lack of govt support (actually it was outright antipathy including being barred from importing DC6s to protect the new TAA and insistence that only QF be allowed international flights) and a less than dynamic management structure, ANA floundered resulting in it being taken over by the, at the time, minor but vibrant, aviation player, Ansett.

For a while Holyman's legacy was acknowledged in the name Ansett-ANA, but after a few years this was discarded as well.

Ansett in turn suffered a similar history with non-aviation interests taking over, especially after the death of Sir Reg.

And so, after the very recent corporate debacles that are still very fresh in our minds, it's now all over, and a significant chapter of Australian aviation history has sadly closed.

PGF
 Sad

carmy

Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:28 pm

I'm awfully sorry to hear about Ansett. Never had the good fortune of flying the airline, but I'm sure Qantas can never compare to it.  Sad

tsentsan

Wed Mar 06, 2002 1:20 am

NO URLS in signature

VH-BZF
Topic Author

Wed Mar 06, 2002 8:55 pm

Hey Tsentsan, great photo! History!

Tears in the eyes!

Ansett Forever........

BZF  Crying

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos