User avatar
Adipasquale
Topic Author
Posts: 830
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:39 pm

Update on FX's MD 10/DC 10 fleet plan

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:18 pm

Sorry if I'm bumping up an old thread, but I thought it would be better than starting a new one. I was wondering if anyone has any more info on FX's MD-10 fleet plan. Per planespotters.net, the last retirement took place about a year and a half ago. Are they still planning to retire them as they come up on their heavy checks, or has FX seen fit to keep the old girls flying on a bit longer?
 
ual763
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:46 am

Re: FedEx DC-10 Retirements

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:45 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
Adipasquale wrote:
Sorry if I'm bumping up an old thread, but I thought it would be better than starting a new one. I was wondering if anyone has any more info on FX's MD-10 fleet plan. Per planespotters.net, the last retirement took place about a year and a half ago. Are they still planning to retire them as they come up on their heavy checks, or has FX seen fit to keep the old girls flying on a bit longer?


I believe the plan is for the MD-10s to be replaced by the incoming 767s. But then again, the A310s are also being replaced by the 767. I imagine they'll be around, in some capacity, for a few more years.
From flying to the NOTAM office
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 4298
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: FedEx DC-10 Retirements

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:09 pm

Adipasquale wrote:
Sorry if I'm bumping up an old thread, but I thought it would be better than starting a new one. I was wondering if anyone has any more info on FX's MD-10 fleet plan. Per planespotters.net, the last retirement took place about a year and a half ago. Are they still planning to retire them as they come up on their heavy checks, or has FX seen fit to keep the old girls flying on a bit longer?

I saw a MD-10 headed to VCV a few weeks ago on Flightaware under a ferry number, but I'm not sure if it was for retirement or paint.

Interestingly enough checking the SDRs on a few active frames, it seems that several have undergone a heavy check recently so they may run some till Fedex runs out of engines (specifically as they are the last operator of the oddball CF-6-6 for the MD-10-10 fleet).
The last of the famous international playboys
 
User avatar
Blimpie
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:48 pm

Re: FedEx DC-10 Retirements

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:56 pm

Caught N358FE coming in to BWI this past Sunday. I'll be honest, I swear FlightRadar24 listed this as a DC-10.

After seeing some of the comments on here, I Googled the N358FE and got a mixed of hits. Some saying DC-10-10F and others saying it is an MD-10-10F.

Quite honestly, it seems like semantics to me, and just glad I caught it.
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!
 
User avatar
NWAROOSTER
Posts: 1223
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:29 pm

Re: FedEx DC-10 Retirements

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:25 am

N358FE was converted to a MD-10-10 when FedEx had it converted to freighter after it was bought from United Airlines. :old:
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......
 
113312
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:09 am

Re: FedEx DC-10 Retirements

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:05 am

ATC has no code for MD10 so for their purposes ONLY, it's still a DC-10
 
Tan Flyr
Posts: 1703
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2000 11:07 pm

Re: RE: FedEx DC-10 Retirements

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:03 am

nikeherc wrote:
Quoting ltbewr (Reply 29):
It says a lot about the original design, over-engineering and quality of MX by FedEx that these DC/MD-10's are still in daily use for decades.
I would say that, structurally and functionally, the DC-10 was over engineered. The engineering for some systems was probably deficient. Namely all three hydraulic systems were routed throug a small area near the center engine and there was no interlock to prevent asymmetric operations of the leading edge slats. Also, the floor vent system was inadequate as was the cargo door locking system. These four design issues led to three of the most notorious airline accidents in history, ruined the reputation of the DC-10 for a long time and killed its sales.

I hate to say this because I always preferred Douglas aircraft and the DC-10 was one of my favorite planes on which to travel. I am also one of the few people on this forum who thought that the DC-10 was better looking than the L-1011.



The DC 10 , in many ways, NOT ALL< was over engineered..as were all Douglas products. Perhaps the term "over built" might be more descriptive.The guys in Long Beach built more "utility" into their designs. Hence, the reason so many DC8 stretches (of all types) lived longer lives as cargo haulers for UPS, ATI and dozens of others, while the 707's were parted out for the USAF. The same I believe can be said for the DC 10, more possible "utility Life" designed overall.

And I agree, the DC10 was a better looking aircraft than the L-1011. And the stretch 8 in flight was a true beauty!
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 4298
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: RE: FedEx DC-10 Retirements

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:14 am

Tan Flyr wrote:
nikeherc wrote:
Quoting ltbewr (Reply 29):
It says a lot about the original design, over-engineering and quality of MX by FedEx that these DC/MD-10's are still in daily use for decades.
I would say that, structurally and functionally, the DC-10 was over engineered. The engineering for some systems was probably deficient. Namely all three hydraulic systems were routed throug a small area near the center engine and there was no interlock to prevent asymmetric operations of the leading edge slats. Also, the floor vent system was inadequate as was the cargo door locking system. These four design issues led to three of the most notorious airline accidents in history, ruined the reputation of the DC-10 for a long time and killed its sales.

I hate to say this because I always preferred Douglas aircraft and the DC-10 was one of my favorite planes on which to travel. I am also one of the few people on this forum who thought that the DC-10 was better looking than the L-1011.



The DC 10 , in many ways, NOT ALL< was over engineered..as were all Douglas products. Perhaps the term "over built" might be more descriptive.The guys in Long Beach built more "utility" into their designs. Hence, the reason so many DC8 stretches (of all types) lived longer lives as cargo haulers for UPS, ATI and dozens of others, while the 707's were parted out for the USAF. The same I believe can be said for the DC 10, more possible "utility Life" designed overall.

And I agree, the DC10 was a better looking aircraft than the L-1011. And the stretch 8 in flight was a true beauty!

I really disagree. If the USAF had a DC-8 based tanker fleet, the civvie douglas fleet would have gotten the axe just as fast as the 707 did.

As for the DC-10, FedEx retired a lot of the fleet at around 80,000 hours and very few of the current fleet have much more than 100,000 hours on them. NW had some with over 125,000 at retirement. Decent, but the 767 is certified for 160,000 hours and I don't think people will consider that overbuilt.
The last of the famous international playboys
 
HPRamper
Posts: 4947
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 4:22 am

Re: FedEx DC-10 Retirements

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:57 am

Spacepope wrote:
Adipasquale wrote:
Sorry if I'm bumping up an old thread, but I thought it would be better than starting a new one. I was wondering if anyone has any more info on FX's MD-10 fleet plan. Per planespotters.net, the last retirement took place about a year and a half ago. Are they still planning to retire them as they come up on their heavy checks, or has FX seen fit to keep the old girls flying on a bit longer?

I saw a MD-10 headed to VCV a few weeks ago on Flightaware under a ferry number, but I'm not sure if it was for retirement or paint.

Interestingly enough checking the SDRs on a few active frames, it seems that several have undergone a heavy check recently so they may run some till Fedex runs out of engines (specifically as they are the last operator of the oddball CF-6-6 for the MD-10-10 fleet).

It does appear FX has finally parked a couple of 10-10s after a very long hiatus. The fleet is down to 25 10-10s and 13 10-30s. The original plan was for the 10s to have been retired already, but FX can't get the 767s fast enough (even at 1-2 per month + 3 777s this year) and package volume has been increasing, so FX decided the lift was needed, so they kept them around. Should be getting another 10 or so 767s this calendar year, so we will likely see at least a couple more 10s parked.
 
User avatar
Goodyear
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:25 am

Re: FedEx DC-10 Retirements

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:39 am

N365FE still flying. In the air right now actually.
 
tomaheath
Posts: 565
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Re: FedEx DC-10 Retirements

Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:13 am

47 years young that’s incredible.
 
User avatar
Adipasquale
Topic Author
Posts: 830
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:39 pm

Re: FedEx DC-10 Retirements

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:18 pm

Goodyear wrote:
N365FE still flying. In the air right now actually.

I have a FR24 alert on this bird, it's just so damn awesome she's still flying after all these years! To think where commercial aviation was when she entered service with UA to where it is now, while she's dutifully hauling packages for FX is just amazing!
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 77L 77W
 
User avatar
United_fan
Posts: 6683
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2000 11:11 am

Re: FedEx DC-10 Retirements

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:52 pm

They occasionally sub our 767 with a -10 in ROC,hopefully they'll do it some more now that the days are getting longer.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"
 
na
Posts: 9697
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 1999 3:52 am

Re: RE: FedEx DC-10 Retirements

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:01 pm

Spacepope wrote:
As for the DC-10, FedEx retired a lot of the fleet at around 80,000 hours and very few of the current fleet have much more than 100,000 hours on them. NW had some with over 125,000 at retirement. Decent, but the 767 is certified for 160,000 hours and I don't think people will consider that overbuilt.


You can certify a lot. The 777 also is certified until whenever. However, many are being retired with just around 50.000 hours.
In real life the world record holders are several KLM 744s with around 140.000 hours on the clock.
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Update on FX' MD 10/DC 10 fleet plan

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:21 pm

I have created a new thread and moved the posts accordingly.

Please do nit kcik threads which have been inactive for a period exceeding six months.

Link to previous thread dating from two years ago:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=604827
 
User avatar
747d10
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:02 pm

Re: FedEx DC-10 Retirements

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:23 pm

Adipasquale wrote:
Goodyear wrote:
N365FE still flying. In the air right now actually.

I have a FR24 alert on this bird, it's just so damn awesome she's still flying after all these years! To think where commercial aviation was when she entered service with UA to where it is now, while she's dutifully hauling packages for FX is just amazing!

[photoid][/photoid]

I like how there is a record of a 1982 United flight from SFO to ORD shown on airfleets.net for this plane. Oh, how I wish I had recorded tail #s back in the day. I very likely flew on it at one time or another. (But then, so did who knows how many millions of other pax!)
E145/190;F100;L10/15;DC8;D8S;D10;M11;D91/S/5;M80;M90;717;727;72S;732/3/4/5/G/8/9;
741/2/3/4;752;762/3/4;77E/L;788;A300;310;319;320;321;330;Concorde
 
Planeboy17
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:18 am

Re: Update on FX's MD 10/DC 10 fleet plan

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:47 pm

Blimpie wrote:
Caught N358FE coming in to BWI this past Sunday. I'll be honest, I swear FlightRadar24 listed this as a DC-10.

After seeing some of the comments on here, I Googled the N358FE and got a mixed of hits. Some saying DC-10-10F and others saying it is an MD-10-10F.

Quite honestly, it seems like semantics to me, and just glad I caught it.


An MD-10 is a DC-10 conversion with upgraded cockpit and only 2 pilots, no more flight engineer.
 
UA444
Posts: 2782
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:03 am

Re: Update on FX's MD 10/DC 10 fleet plan

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:54 am

Most of the ones they’ve kept have been the UA birds. At this rate they’ll be here for another few years. Good.
 
iahcsr
Posts: 4777
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: Update on FX's MD 10/DC 10 fleet plan

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:31 pm

Wonder if any of FE first DC/MD-10s, which they bought from CO, are still flying? They didn’t change the reg#s N68049-056... IIRC 055 was a W/O a few years ago.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
airzona11
Posts: 1518
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:44 am

Re: Update on FX's MD 10/DC 10 fleet plan

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Catching these birds are a real treat. Douglas planes certainly live up the overbuilt/built for utility frames. They are work horses.
 
User avatar
thewizbizman
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 4:15 pm

Re: Update on FX's MD 10/DC 10 fleet plan

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:57 pm

Besides all the talk but personally I think N306FE should be preserved or put in a museum. It was the aircraft involved in the FDX705 incident. The history of that aircraft is so rich and the importance of it is so high. It shows the dedication of flight crews around the world to their profession and the industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_E ... Flight_705
 
User avatar
aeromoe
Posts: 793
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:34 am

Re: Update on FX's MD 10/DC 10 fleet plan

Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:05 am

iahcsr wrote:
Wonder if any of FE first DC/MD-10s, which they bought from CO, are still flying? They didn’t change the reg#s N68049-056... IIRC 055 was a W/O a few years ago.


Go check it out at planespotters dot net if you really want to know...the info is there.

Moe
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K
 
User avatar
747d10
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:02 pm

Re: Update on FX's MD 10/DC 10 fleet plan

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:18 am

iahcsr wrote:
Wonder if any of FE first DC/MD-10s, which they bought from CO, are still flying? They didn’t change the reg#s N68049-056... IIRC 055 was a W/O a few years ago.

Looks like there is one: http://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-dc10-47807.htm
She's still in service, flying MEM-ORD today.
E145/190;F100;L10/15;DC8;D8S;D10;M11;D91/S/5;M80;M90;717;727;72S;732/3/4/5/G/8/9;
741/2/3/4;752;762/3/4;77E/L;788;A300;310;319;320;321;330;Concorde
 
lifecomm
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:29 pm

Re: Update on FX's MD 10/DC 10 fleet plan

Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:26 pm

thewizbizman wrote:
Besides all the talk but personally I think N306FE should be preserved or put in a museum. It was the aircraft involved in the FDX705 incident. The history of that aircraft is so rich and the importance of it is so high. It shows the dedication of flight crews around the world to their profession and the industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_E ... Flight_705

Wow! FDX705, what a story!

P3D - Fight For Your Life (Federal Express Flight 705)

I searched the forums, but your reference is all I found. Truly amazing. I wonder what the $800K damage was - internal?
 
HPRamper
Posts: 4947
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 4:22 am

Re: Update on FX's MD 10/DC 10 fleet plan

Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:35 pm

lifecomm wrote:
thewizbizman wrote:
Besides all the talk but personally I think N306FE should be preserved or put in a museum. It was the aircraft involved in the FDX705 incident. The history of that aircraft is so rich and the importance of it is so high. It shows the dedication of flight crews around the world to their profession and the industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_E ... Flight_705

Wow! FDX705, what a story!

P3D - Fight For Your Life (Federal Express Flight 705)

I searched the forums, but your reference is all I found. Truly amazing. I wonder what the $800K damage was - internal?

There is an hour-long Air Disasters episode about this incident as well. Smithsonian Channel I believe.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos