Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dcaord
Topic Author

QR and the UAE

Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:03 am

Will QR ever fly to the UAE, Saudi Arabia, etc. ever again?

RyanairGuru

Re: QR and the UAE

Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:41 am

That’s entirely beyond the control of QR, as in the airline. UAE and Saudi were their two largest markets, so you can be pretty certain they will relaunch flights the day after the embargo is lifted.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

dredgy

Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:33 am

As RyanairGuru said, they were apparently huge markets for QR and they'll resume flights ASAP.
Surprises me though, as I've flown very, very often throughout the Gulf and AUH<->DOH flights on QR were always empty - at least 3 or 4 times I was the only one on the plane.

Arion640

Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:51 am

They're was a few news articles a few weeks ago saying the blockade could be lifted sooner rather than later.

KLMatSJC

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:22 am

dredgy wrote:
As RyanairGuru said, they were apparently huge markets for QR and they'll resume flights ASAP.
Surprises me though, as I've flown very, very often throughout the Gulf and AUH<->DOH flights on QR were always empty - at least 3 or 4 times I was the only one on the plane.

I flew DOH-AUH in 2016 and there were probably around 70 people on the 787 that was operating the flight.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

JoKeR

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:34 am

Flew DOH-DXB a few times and the experience was rather different - 77W filled to the very last seat, only to be followed by another packed 77W half an hour later or so.

FromCDGtoSYD

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:52 am

JoKeR wrote:
Flew DOH-DXB a few times and the experience was rather different - 77W filled to the very last seat, only to be followed by another packed 77W half an hour later or so.

If I recall correctly QR had 19 flights (some A320s?) And EK 9 with 77Ws and even a couple of A380s. So there must have been serious traffic

AsoRock

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:26 am

Arion640 wrote:
They're was a few news articles a few weeks ago saying the blockade could be lifted sooner rather than later.

As I live in the GCC area and am well informed of political developments, it looks like this will be a protracted diplomatic rift with till now, no end in sight.

It is unfortunate, although I can't imagine Qatar allowing this rift to go on till the World Cup of 2022. The region must be calm and GCC-wide cooperation must be in place in time for this global event, which Qatar has planned for over a decade!

Cheers

jmmadrid

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:14 am

Most of QR's passengers to and from Saudi Arabia were low-paid migrant workers from India, Philippines, Bangladesh, etc. QR offered several daily flights to facilitate the connections. Don't let a semi empty flight fool you, the return could have been full.

In regards to the DOH-DXB flights, a big chunk of the market were local expats "escaping" to Dubai for a weekend of "fun and freedom" (LOL). Likewise, depending on the time of the day and the day of the week, one flight could be empty but the return full with nice yields.

stylo777

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:34 am

How is the traffic now steered with the bloackage? Via MCT, BAH, KWI?

BlueShamu330s

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:03 am

I'd been doing CAI-DOH-onwards quite regularly until the blockade. Always rammed B77Ws.
But QR have deep pockets and can weather this storm.
Flying around India

neomax

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:05 am

AsoRock wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

As I live in the GCC area and am well informed of political developments, it looks like this will be a protracted diplomatic rift with till now, no end in sight.

It is unfortunate, although I can't imagine Qatar allowing this rift to go on till the World Cup of 2022. The region must be calm and GCC-wide cooperation must be in place in time for this global event, which Qatar has planned for over a decade!

Cheers

I was under the impression that Qatar has no problem allowing the rift to continue as it would actually benefit them to expose the hypocrisy of the blockade to the entire world by hosting players from the GCC that blockaded it, and thus would pressure the GCC to lift it without Qatar having to make any concessions. From what I can understand, Qatar actually just announced a 5 year plan to tackle this very issue and become more independent. As for QR, they would be the biggest winners during the World Cup should the blockade continue as they would be the only nonstop stop option and the only ones to even offer service to DOH at all with EK and EY out of the running.

sand26391

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:09 am

I think some amount of traffic goes through KWI/MCT nowadays if im not wrong. With GF,KU starting expansions soon.... its going to impact QR. Btw does any1 have idea regarding whats the 2017 AUH passenger traffic stats ??

Spiderguy252

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:03 pm

dredgy wrote:

You mean the plane had only one passenger = you??
Vahroone

dredgy

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:36 pm

Spiderguy252 wrote:
dredgy wrote:

You mean the plane had only one passenger = you??

Yes. And other times there was only a handful. That was specifically on the Doha to Abu Dhabi route though, but even on other routes within the gulf with other airlines, less than 50% load factor was more common than not.

Of course I could have just gotten very unlucky as these are apparently huge markets for the airlines, but I’ve flown between every city pair in the gulf at least a dozen times each over the course of several years and never witnessed a full flight.

stylo777

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:54 pm

Until a few years ago I also travelled quite often between AUH and DOH. Morning departures were always quite full whereas the evening returns had often less than 30-40 pax.

c933103

Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:21 pm

So now, UAE allows plane flying to Israel to use their airspace but not to Qatar
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

PerfectGriffin

Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:51 pm

Given the lengths KSA and the UAE are going to to make Qatar suffer (and being exposed whilst doing it), I doubt this blockade will end soon.

The DOH - DXB market was huge. It was the number 1 route from both airports so there was plenty of demand. However QR clearly had the most benefit from route so losing DXB was a bigger loss to them. I have no doubt QR will one day be back to operating 18x daily to Dubai, but if and when this blockade ever ends, they might need time to rebuild their brand.

hongkongflyer

Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:42 pm

PerfectGriffin wrote:
Given the lengths KSA and the UAE are going to to make Qatar suffer (and being exposed whilst doing it), I doubt this blockade will end soon.

The DOH - DXB market was huge. It was the number 1 route from both airports so there was plenty of demand. However QR clearly had the most benefit from route so losing DXB was a bigger loss to them. I have no doubt QR will one day be back to operating 18x daily to Dubai, but if and when this blockade ever ends, they might need time to rebuild their brand.

The traffic between DOH-DXB is not that high yield as many of them are transiting passengers just to catch the lower fare.
QR charges a premium for all DOH O&D traffic so many of them just booked EK and then transit at DXB.
Same for UAE passengers booking QR flights and transit at DOH.

Same for CX nowadays in TPE, while the numbers of flight and passengers is one of the highest in the network,
the yield is not that high.

PerfectGriffin

Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:49 pm

hongkongflyer wrote:
PerfectGriffin wrote:

The traffic between DOH-DXB is not that high yield as many of them are transiting passengers just to catch the lower fare.
QR charges a premium for all DOH O&D traffic so many of them just booked EK and then transit at DXB.
Same for UAE passengers booking QR flights and transit at DOH.

Same for CX nowadays in TPE, while the numbers of flight and passengers is one of the highest in the network,
the yield is not that high.

Oh absolutely, I have no doubt yields were low. There was QR's 18x daily, EK's 4/5x daily (B77W and A380) , and FZ's 5/6 daily. With that much competition, and a large portion being transit traffic, yields would have been low.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos