• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 12
 
User avatar
inflightVideo
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:33 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:00 am

outbackair wrote:
I think you will find that normal people (enthusiasts) don't sit watching a Go-pro UNEDITED video for 17 hours, especially when it's pitch black inside and outside the cabin. Take off, landing and maybe a snap shot of the meal (max 5 minutes) would be quite enough for 99.9% of enthusiasts. I think it's all about ego (= look how many likes I have!!!!). Try Just Planes Videos for REAL aviation videos.





I’m sorry you can’t see how much editing goes into making an ‘UNEDITED’ video that has live flight maps, synchronised cabin footage and ATC but there are plenty of other channels offering cut down videos if you aren’t able to move the slider to where you want to watch.

I’ll just carry on doing what works for me and my viewers and enjoying my free flights and hotels
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5240
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:05 pm

EK413 wrote:
Based the current flying patterns would appear “Great Southern Land” will op the inaugural PER-LHR service.

On the back of the inaugural PER-LHR the 1st QF A380 to receive a fresh coat of paint will ferry to DXB on the 24/3.

EK413


*Update* ;)

Qantas B787-9 Dream)liner VH-ZND “Emily Kame Kngwarreye” to op the inaugural PER-LHR service.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
moa999
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:25 pm

Well that was pretty obvious. QF are masters at making the most of any media opportunity (IE. Free advertising)
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 13992
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24n March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:20 pm

waoz1 wrote:
Not anymore
Perth always has wind... always know when I am home having a bumpy ride in so that wont change.
Also with the new CAT upgrades no need to divert east - CATIII b auto-land

https://thewest.com.au/news/perth/perth ... b88684921z


There would be hundreds if not thousands of aircraft that divert from airports with LVO capabilities. Dont see CAT3B helping much when one of the usual cold fronts come through.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 13992
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24n March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:27 pm

AirbusA322 wrote:
What are the Australian planned diversion ports? ADL? Any chance it could make MEL?

As the Australian Summer has just come to an end the season of fog/wind/rain is about to start!


Typically QF do not use destination alternates, they have an all engine diversion point. What would be most sensible would be to remain at cruise level and go to Kalgoorlie for fuel. If the weather was that bad I would think they would do technical stop on the way for fuel.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
User avatar
Channex757
Posts: 2360
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:07 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:43 pm

qf789 wrote:
redroo wrote:
RalXWB wrote:
How many seats do they block...40, 50?


The qantas 789 is lightly configured with only 236!seats. Of that only 160 are economy. They have also gone tonc considerable lengths to minimise weight.

It is at the absolute edge of the aircrafts capabilities but they are confident they can do it.


The published range of the 789from Boeing is 7635nm based on a 2 class aircraft with 290 passengers. QF publishes the range of the 789 with 236 seats at 7828nm

And that's where I cannot get my head round the numbers,

QF is leaving behind 54 passengers worth of potential load on a notoriously low yielding route. With no particular benefit over SYD-XXX-LHR where are the premium passengers going to come from to beat QANTAS's doors down and pay for this service out of Perth? Spin it how you may, this flight is going to need to go out with the front cabin full to offset all those extra costs of flying ultra longhaul.

Not just the range issue is critical here, the yield will be too. I just don't see it attracting enough front cabin sales to work long term.
 
qf002
Posts: 3577
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:03 pm

Channex757 wrote:
Spin it how you may, this flight is going to need to go out with the front cabin full to offset all those extra costs of flying ultra longhaul.

Not just the range issue is critical here, the yield will be too. I just don't see it attracting enough front cabin sales to work long term.


Don't forget that QF is using this 789 flight to replace an existing A380 via DXB, going from 14F/64J to just 42J. They will have absolutely no trouble filling the seats and probably at higher fares than the existing service.
 
Ryanair01
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:40 pm

Channex757 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
redroo wrote:

The qantas 789 is lightly configured with only 236!seats. Of that only 160 are economy. They have also gone tonc considerable lengths to minimise weight.

It is at the absolute edge of the aircrafts capabilities but they are confident they can do it.


The published range of the 789from Boeing is 7635nm based on a 2 class aircraft with 290 passengers. QF publishes the range of the 789 with 236 seats at 7828nm

And that's where I cannot get my head round the numbers,

QF is leaving behind 54 passengers worth of potential load on a notoriously low yielding route. With no particular benefit over SYD-XXX-LHR where are the premium passengers going to come from to beat QANTAS's doors down and pay for this service out of Perth? Spin it how you may, this flight is going to need to go out with the front cabin full to offset all those extra costs of flying ultra longhaul.

Not just the range issue is critical here, the yield will be too. I just don't see it attracting enough front cabin sales to work long term.


I don't think you've grasped it, today QF has two flights from London, LHR-DXB-SYD 380 and LHR-DXB-MEL 380. That changes at the weekend to LHR-SIN-SYD 380 and LHR-PER-MEL 789. They are replacing 64 business seats on the existing A380 with 42 business seats on the 787. I don't get all this talk about needing to find more premium passengers, they actually need fewer. There is no yield issue, they're dumping the low yield tickets by downgrading capacity to the 789.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 13992
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Effectively it is saying no more F to MEL, 44 fewer premium seats a day (152 vs 108), effectively around 80 equivalent J fares a day less in revenue (1xF=3xJ). That is enough revenue for someone to startup an all premium aircraft to LHR. Who will be first foreign carrier to up-guage MEL to take the pax ?
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
User avatar
TheRedBaron
Posts: 3272
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:17 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:35 pm

126 K liters of fuel.... or 100 tons! quite a feat on economy of flying 230 pax for 7800 miles... I wish them the best !! I wonder if the proposed A350LR could make it from Sidney to London...economically

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.
 
TC957
Posts: 3514
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:36 pm

Some points : The route has been " flown " daily for 2 years on simulators so all weather & route possibilities and diversion airports have been thought about. Those that think few will fly this trip in premium cabins need to think again. This flight will fill up front first.
Like most ULH's do.
 
QF744ER
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:59 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:44 pm

EK413 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
Based the current flying patterns would appear “Great Southern Land” will op the inaugural PER-LHR service.

On the back of the inaugural PER-LHR the 1st QF A380 to receive a fresh coat of paint will ferry to DXB on the 24/3.

EK413


*Update* ;)

Qantas B787-9 Dream)liner VH-ZND “Emily Kame Kngwarreye” to op the inaugural PER-LHR service.

EK413


There will also be a back-up Dreamliner in PER just in case the frame flying QF9 should go u/s on the inaugural service.

QF777 in and then operates red-eye QF648 back to MEL.
 
User avatar
inflightVideo
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:33 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:50 pm

EK413 wrote:

*Update* ;)

Qantas B787-9 Dream)liner VH-ZND “Emily Kame Kngwarreye” to op the inaugural PER-LHR service.

EK413


Fantastic news! I'd heard rumours that it would be operating it but pleased that they are using this aircraft to mark the inaugural flight :)
 
Crackshot
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:57 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:58 pm

inflightVideo wrote:
EK413 wrote:

*Update* ;)

Qantas B787-9 Dream)liner VH-ZND “Emily Kame Kngwarreye” to op the inaugural PER-LHR service.

EK413


Fantastic news! I'd heard rumours that it would be operating it but pleased that they are using this aircraft to mark the inaugural flight :)


Yeah, given how much publicity they're looking to gather they'd be insane not to use ZND.
 
airbazar
Posts: 9698
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:04 pm

RalXWB wrote:
So where does the -9 suddenly get all this range from with full pax and stuff?

It always had the range. People forget that the 787 was originally designed for 8 abreast seating. It was only when airlines started putting 9 abreast that it "lost" range. In this case, rather than reduce Y to 8 abreast they configured half of the plane as J and Y+ which makes sense because I suspect that this is a route that is likely to attract premium demand.
 
User avatar
Channex757
Posts: 2360
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:07 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:54 pm

zeke wrote:
Effectively it is saying no more F to MEL, 44 fewer premium seats a day (152 vs 108), effectively around 80 equivalent J fares a day less in revenue (1xF=3xJ). That is enough revenue for someone to startup an all premium aircraft to LHR. Who will be first foreign carrier to up-guage MEL to take the pax ?

So along comes the competition and starts a fare war. MEL takes a nosedive.

Can QANTAS depend on PER traffic to fill the cabins up? Somehow I doubt it unless QF get into the same price war territory and that means big losses on a flight with huge costs and poor yield.

Those who think otherwise and see QANTAS throwing off cash on this route are deluding themselves. The ME3 and Asian carriers are waiting like vultures to swoop in and kill this handicapped flight off with single stop low fares in all cabins.
 
Crackshot
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:57 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:02 pm

Channex757 wrote:
zeke wrote:
Effectively it is saying no more F to MEL, 44 fewer premium seats a day (152 vs 108), effectively around 80 equivalent J fares a day less in revenue (1xF=3xJ). That is enough revenue for someone to startup an all premium aircraft to LHR. Who will be first foreign carrier to up-guage MEL to take the pax ?

So along comes the competition and starts a fare war. MEL takes a nosedive.

Can QANTAS depend on PER traffic to fill the cabins up? Somehow I doubt it unless QF get into the same price war territory and that means big losses on a flight with huge costs and poor yield.

Those who think otherwise and see QANTAS throwing off cash on this route are deluding themselves. The ME3 and Asian carriers are waiting like vultures to swoop in and kill this handicapped flight off with single stop low fares in all cabins.


Wouldn't they also be offering domestic connections from other Australian cities with direct services to PER, such as BNE, SYD, etc? I'd imagine they'd time a few flights to arrive in time to catch the PER departure (or time to PER departure for existing timetables) rather then rely on feed from MEL/PER alone.
Last edited by Crackshot on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
keesje
Posts: 13178
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:08 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:10 pm

Will they leave the middle seats open?
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway
 
User avatar
IrishAyes
Posts: 2403
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:04 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:57 pm

so wait, if i am understanding this correctly, ALL passengers, regardless of class, will be able to access the international transit lounge at PER? including YCL?

just thinking about this....it is a lot of people to be in one lounge at a single point in time. surely, i am misreading something?
 
klakzky123
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:05 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:06 pm

IrishAyes wrote:
so wait, if i am understanding this correctly, ALL passengers, regardless of class, will be able to access the international transit lounge at PER? including YCL?

just thinking about this....it is a lot of people to be in one lounge at a single point in time. surely, i am misreading something?


I thought it was just for frequent flyers and business class like any other lounge. The only difference here was that other international flights from T1 have to use the domestic lounge.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7890
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:29 pm

Channex757 wrote:
zeke wrote:
Effectively it is saying no more F to MEL, 44 fewer premium seats a day (152 vs 108), effectively around 80 equivalent J fares a day less in revenue (1xF=3xJ). That is enough revenue for someone to startup an all premium aircraft to LHR. Who will be first foreign carrier to up-guage MEL to take the pax ?

So along comes the competition and starts a fare war. MEL takes a nosedive.

Can QANTAS depend on PER traffic to fill the cabins up? Somehow I doubt it unless QF get into the same price war territory and that means big losses on a flight with huge costs and poor yield.

Those who think otherwise and see QANTAS throwing off cash on this route are deluding themselves. The ME3 and Asian carriers are waiting like vultures to swoop in and kill this handicapped flight off with single stop low fares in all cabins.


It’s been that way for years, that’s nothing new. Qatar regularly offer a “sale” Business Class fare for around $5500 return to Europe, which is comparable to Qantas Premium Economy which prices around $5000 when not on sale. Cathay and BA both sell Premium Economy in the $3000-4000 range. It is not uncommen to see Qatar and Artigas selling First for the same price as Qantas Business.

Their pricing probably has to be more competitive in the European point of sale market, but ex-Australia Qantas is almost always significantly more expensive than the competition, especially in Premium, Business and First. Qantas have a de facto monopoly on the corporate and high value frequent flyers in this country (something like 70% market share) who keep coming back. That isn’t changing anytime soon, given that those same customers have stayed with them through the tough years 2010-2014, during the 2011 grounding and the emergence of Virgin Australia who aggressively targeted Qantas’ corporate customers.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
Armodeen
Posts: 1183
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:17 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:49 pm

qf002 wrote:
superjeff wrote:
I'm not sure about Qantas' configuration of the 789. What's the pitch in Y? 31"? If so, yecch (although I think W will fill up more quickly on this long of a trip :-)


32" in Y and one of the less dense configurations overall with 236 seats (only JL and NH have less seats on a 787-9 without F).


NH offer 34 inches and JAL 8 abreast, those would be preferable for such a long flight IMO. QFs 32 inches is slightly better than the 31 inch standard for the US/EU airlines though.

I’ll be at LHR on Sunday, I’ll try to snap some pics!
 
User avatar
seabosdca
Posts: 6511
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:33 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:07 pm

DaufuskieGuy wrote:
what about the 77L?


Wasn't in service yet 15 years ago. But it too would have used far more fuel.

RalXWB wrote:
So where does the -9 suddenly get all this range from with full pax and stuff?


It's a light configuration. Still impressive as all he!! given that the 787-9 is the lightest transpacific-capable jet currently on the market (excepting the deprecated 787-8) and in no way a ULH special.
 
n729pa
Posts: 1102
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:27 pm

I'm on the QF10 on Sunday too, all the way through to MEL. I did wonder if ZND would do the first flight or not. Coming home back the same way as week later.

I'm travelling in Y but had an upgrade option come through over the weekend to C. Tempting but as a privately funded flyer (as I call it) I'm not sure I can justify the extra £xxxx, I might put a bid in as there's no guarantee I'll get it anyway especially at the low end. Anyone had any experience of these bidding processes with QF before?

But getting fairly excited by it now having booked the ticket on the first day all those months ago. It will also be my 400th flight too.
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5240
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:38 pm

moa999 wrote:
Well that was pretty obvious. QF are masters at making the most of any media opportunity (IE. Free advertising)


You can’t beat FREE Publicity
“Great Southern Land” was scheduled to op the inaugural up until yesterday.

QF744ER wrote:
EK413 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
Based the current flying patterns would appear “Great Southern Land” will op the inaugural PER-LHR service.

On the back of the inaugural PER-LHR the 1st QF A380 to receive a fresh coat of paint will ferry to DXB on the 24/3.

EK413


*Update* ;)

Qantas B787-9 Dream)liner VH-ZND “Emily Kame Kngwarreye” to op the inaugural PER-LHR service.

EK413


There will also be a back-up Dreamliner in PER just in case the frame flying QF9 should go u/s on the inaugural service.

QF777 in and then operates red-eye QF648 back to MEL.


Always good having a back up aircraft for your inaugural flight. Wise move.

inflightVideo wrote:
EK413 wrote:

*Update* ;)

Qantas B787-9 Dream)liner VH-ZND “Emily Kame Kngwarreye” to op the inaugural PER-LHR service.

EK413


Fantastic news! I'd heard rumours that it would be operating it but pleased that they are using this aircraft to mark the inaugural flight :)


-ZNA was operating the inaugural up until yesterday.

klakzky123 wrote:
IrishAyes wrote:
so wait, if i am understanding this correctly, ALL passengers, regardless of class, will be able to access the international transit lounge at PER? including YCL?

just thinking about this....it is a lot of people to be in one lounge at a single point in time. surely, i am misreading something?


I thought it was just for frequent flyers and business class like any other lounge. The only difference here was that other international flights from T1 have to use the domestic lounge.


Correct, transit lounge will be exclusively PER-LHR,PER-MEL passengers whilst the Domestic will be available for SIN,AKL passengers.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 18146
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:53 pm

qf789 wrote:
redroo wrote:
RalXWB wrote:
How many seats do they block...40, 50?


The qantas 789 is lightly configured with only 236!seats. Of that only 160 are economy. They have also gone tonc considerable lengths to minimise weight.

It is at the absolute edge of the aircrafts capabilities but they are confident they can do it.


The published range of the 789from Boeing is 7635nm based on a 2 class aircraft with 290 passengers. QF publishes the range of the 789 with 236 seats at 7828nm

Boeing recently updated the 787 airplane characteristics.

I'm amazed a 789 is flying this route.

Has anyone calculated fuel burn and payload of the:
789
A345
77L
778

I'd love to see the comparative economics.

http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/commer ... ps/787.pdf



This will be an amazing route. Not to mention a great way to bypass EK. ;)
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.
 
B752OS
Posts: 1175
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:05 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:01 am

Congratulations to Qantas and Boeing. Boeing's 787 continues to open up new markets and cements itself as a very solid aircraft so many of its customers.
 
User avatar
JBusworth
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:56 am

Channex757 wrote:
zeke wrote:
Effectively it is saying no more F to MEL, 44 fewer premium seats a day (152 vs 108), effectively around 80 equivalent J fares a day less in revenue (1xF=3xJ). That is enough revenue for someone to startup an all premium aircraft to LHR. Who will be first foreign carrier to up-guage MEL to take the pax ?

So along comes the competition and starts a fare war. MEL takes a nosedive.

Can QANTAS depend on PER traffic to fill the cabins up? Somehow I doubt it unless QF get into the same price war territory and that means big losses on a flight with huge costs and poor yield.

Those who think otherwise and see QANTAS throwing off cash on this route are deluding themselves. The ME3 and Asian carriers are waiting like vultures to swoop in and kill this handicapped flight off with single stop low fares in all cabins.


QF by virtue of being QF in Australia can command a premium over all the other carriers. Whilst they might not be downing in cash from this route, the ME3 and Asian carriers have made significant inroads into the Australian market, including many flights with QF codeshares , they will not kill off this route.

We have seen that Etihad and Emirates have actually down-gauged MEL in recent months and Qatar simply can't add more flights with the current bilateral. This change will simply mean that some small number of passengers will choose to fly with other airlines or on QF via SIN which has F available.

Were loads good out of LHR for QF with two A380s? I can see this helping load factors by ensuring both a full A380 and 787.
 
skipness1E
Posts: 4516
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:48 am

David_itl wrote:
Tremendous news that for all of Europe apart from London, the one-stop to Australia is to be replaced by the one-stop to Australia.

Are you so anti London that THIS is your knee jerk response? If it were PER-MAN, would you be so cynical?
 
skipness1E
Posts: 4516
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:52 am

It’ll be great to see the QuaintArse B789s at LHR but unless I needed to be in PER as a matter of some urgency, I will be breaking the tedium at Dubai or Changi. As much as I love aircraft, 17.5 hours in an airliner sounds as if the blood might just stop flowing to my feet, or WORSE!
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5240
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:02 am

skipness1E wrote:
It’ll be great to see the QuaintArse B789s at LHR but unless I needed to be in PER as a matter of some urgency, I will be breaking the tedium at Dubai or Changi. As much as I love aircraft, 17.5 hours in an airliner sounds as if the blood might just stop flowing to my feet, or WORSE!


Im trying to understand why is QF PER-LHR-PER any different to QR DOH-AKL-DOH, EK DXB-AKL-DXB, UA IAH-SYD-IAH, SQ SIN-LAX-SIN...

The criticism is well beyond ridiculous.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7890
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:29 am

skipness1E wrote:
It’ll be great to see the QuaintArse B789s at LHR but unless I needed to be in PER as a matter of some urgency, I will be breaking the tedium at Dubai or Changi. As much as I love aircraft, 17.5 hours in an airliner sounds as if the blood might just stop flowing to my feet, or WORSE!


At least DXB/AUH/DOH split the flight to roughly 7 hours then 10 hours, but if you are flying 14 hours to SIN they you may as well keep going for the extra 3 hours IMHO. Flying SYD-DFW doesn’t feel significantly longer than SYD-LAX because after a while it all just blues into one.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
getluv
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:07 am

While there will be a reduction in seating capacity on QF's end the reduction in the premium cabins is modest.

I think people underestimate the premium QF charges over its competitors in the premium cabins especially on ex-AU tickets. We're not talking a 10-20% price differential, its more in the vicinity of 50-200% even after corporate discounts. QF are only interested in skimming off the top and let everyone else fight for the bottom. QF codeshares on EK are also priced at a premium.

Anyone who is a member of a oneworld frequent flyer program or Emirates Skywards will know how difficult it is to get a premium reward seat on a QF aircraft.

Its also worth to pointing out EK will be adding a 4th daily service to SYD from Sunday, and upgrading its morning MEL service to an A380. All services QF will codeshare on.
I'm that bad type.
 
Ruscoe
Posts: 1737
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 1999 5:41 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:26 am

RalXWB wrote:
So where does the -9 suddenly get all this range from with full pax and stuff?


Even looking at the original payload range graph it has always been capable of this, and with the engine PIP's and on going weight reductions, it is now a viable proposition with 236 pax, and no cargo.
I am told that at LHR the 789 will have about 4 tonnes of fuel left plus reserves and it is burning about 4 tonnes and hour at the end of it journey, so enough for about another hour of cruise. At Perth it should have about one and a half hours cruise left.
Apparenjtly the pilots concern is getting in before curfew, and also that once established and with no or few diversions, QF will want to start taking cargo as well.
The other thing I find interesting is that QF had the choice of 8 abreast with less pitch or 9 abreast with more pitch and they went for the extra pitch. I concur completely that pitch is more important for comfort than seat width, although I know many disagree.

Ruscoe
 
DobboDobbo
Posts: 892
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:02 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:17 am

skipness1E wrote:
Are you so anti London that THIS is your knee jerk response? If it were PER-MAN, would you be so cynical?


Isn't the point that whilst this is good for PER, it is a relatively small subset of the overall Europe-Australia market. The major prize is project sunrise (i.e. Nonstop to the major markets of SYD and MEL) both of which remain accessible one stop via any number of middle and far eastern hubs. All PER does is add another one stop option?
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5240
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:28 am

DobboDobbo wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
Are you so anti London that THIS is your knee jerk response? If it were PER-MAN, would you be so cynical?


Isn't the point that whilst this is good for PER, it is a relatively small subset of the overall Europe-Australia market. The major prize is project sunrise (i.e. Nonstop to the major markets of SYD and MEL) both of which remain accessible one stop via any number of middle and far eastern hubs. All PER does is add another one stop option?


1-stop with connections to AKL,SYD,MEL,BNE,ADL,CBR,BME,ASP,CNS,DRW...

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
flyingphil
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 2:56 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:58 am

What about the Qantas crew?
Pilots.. will there be three or four onboard? Seems an awful long time to be stuck in a cockpit. Qantas used to employ ‘Second Officers’ who were only at the controls for the cruise.
Cabin Crew.. presume they must work in shifts too?

I had a look at the prices and they seem reasonable, so maybe after all the hype it will work.. although Perth is the wrong side of Australia for a lot of travellers.

Personally, have travelled to Aus from London via all the traditional stop overs going via the US seemed to work best for me.
Air NZ from LHR to LAX then Virgin Australia from LAX works well..
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8923
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:50 am

flyingphil wrote:
What about the Qantas crew?
Pilots.. will there be three or four onboard? Seems an awful long time to be stuck in a cockpit. Qantas used to employ ‘Second Officers’ who were only at the controls for the cruise.
Cabin Crew.. presume they must work in shifts too?

I had a look at the prices and they seem reasonable, so maybe after all the hype it will work.. although Perth is the wrong side of Australia for a lot of travellers.

Personally, have travelled to Aus from London via all the traditional stop overs going via the US seemed to work best for me.
Air NZ from LHR to LAX then Virgin Australia from LAX works well..


Qantas use 4 pilots on long haul, 3 on flights into Asia
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8923
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:05 pm

Qf648 wrote:
Perth can suffer fog in winter, id say they'd pick Learmonth as a diversion.


Not at 1pm in the afternoon when the aircraft is due to arrive in Perth
Forum Moderator
 
Qf648
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:49 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:06 pm

Perth can suffer fog in winter, id say they'd pick Learmonth as a diversion.
 
airbazar
Posts: 9698
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:33 pm

lightsaber wrote:
[
I'm amazed a 789 is flying this route.

Why? The 789 was always an 8,000nm+ airplane. This is not a particularly challenging route in terms of head winds or ETOPS restrictions.
http://www.boeing.com/history/products/787.page
"The 787-8 Dreamliner can carry 210 to 250 passengers on routes of 7,650 to 8,200 nautical miles (14,167 to 15,186 kilometers), while the 787-9 Dreamliner carries 250 to 290 passengers on routes of 8,000 to 8,500 nautical miles (14,816 to 15,742 kilometers)."
 
mutu
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:04 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:56 pm

redroo wrote:
RalXWB wrote:
How many seats do they block...40, 50?


The qantas 789 is lightly configured with only 236!seats. Of that only 160 are economy. They have also gone tonc considerable lengths to minimise weight.

It is at the absolute edge of the aircrafts capabilities but they are confident they can do it.


Does that mean then, BA could operate the same route if they wished with their current 789''s configured for 216 total (8F 42J 39W 127Y) ??
 
AndyW35
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:54 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:49 pm

inflightVideo wrote:
outbackair wrote:
I think you will find that normal people (enthusiasts) don't sit watching a Go-pro UNEDITED video for 17 hours, especially when it's pitch black inside and outside the cabin. Take off, landing and maybe a snap shot of the meal (max 5 minutes) would be quite enough for 99.9% of enthusiasts. I think it's all about ego (= look how many likes I have!!!!). Try Just Planes Videos for REAL aviation videos.





I’m sorry you can’t see how much editing goes into making an ‘UNEDITED’ video that has live flight maps, synchronised cabin footage and ATC but there are plenty of other channels offering cut down videos if you aren’t able to move the slider to where you want to watch.

I’ll just carry on doing what works for me and my viewers and enjoying my free flights and hotels


Funny that someone says that quick snapshots of a flight is real aviation video and yet you are the one accused of sitting in a plane for multiple hours for ego value ! It's the other way around surely? I take my hat off for you doing this, there and back, as mentioned in the first great post, so much quicker than the original flights, mindboggling. You will suffer for the cause no doubt. And that's just Heathrow...

Looking forward to your review of both trips.

Personally I will be "flying" it Flightrader24 style in my own study with more screens than a new Emirates 777 First. Australian F1 and cricket on this weekend too so it is all happening. My foods better too as the kebab shop delivers at all hours :D

Keep up the good work, some people will just never get it ;)
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1682
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:07 pm

EK413 wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
Are you so anti London that THIS is your knee jerk response? If it were PER-MAN, would you be so cynical?


Isn't the point that whilst this is good for PER, it is a relatively small subset of the overall Europe-Australia market. The major prize is project sunrise (i.e. Nonstop to the major markets of SYD and MEL) both of which remain accessible one stop via any number of middle and far eastern hubs. All PER does is add another one stop option?


1-stop with connections to AKL,SYD,MEL,BNE,ADL,CBR,BME,ASP,CNS,DRW...

EK413


Although it has to be said that the one-stop connections to ASP, CBR and CNS are only in one direction (outbound from ASP, inbound to CBR and CNS) and that, whilst those connections are there for DRW, they're not exactly convenient (and only 3x weekly).

qf789 wrote:
Qf648 wrote:
Perth can suffer fog in winter, id say they'd pick Learmonth as a diversion.


Not at 1pm in the afternoon when the aircraft is due to arrive in Perth


The schedule isn't entirely relevant - all international flights must nominate alternates and carry reserves regardless of weather forecasts or anything else. QF10 inbound to PER will have several alternates and my assumption is that those will include LEA, BME, DRW, ASP and quite possibly KGI - all but KGI as enroute alternates, and KGI as destination alternate. I doubt it will be carrying enough fuel to make ADL, unless a very early decision was made to do so. DRW and ASP would probably have the attraction that the aircraft could then be positioned to either PER or MEL as scheduling dictated, and pax could be accommodated easily on existing or additional domestic flights from there.

It's also possible this flight will be much like QF8 which dispatches as a DFW-BNE flight and 'diverts' to SYD at one of several decision points enroute (again, because it's quite marginal on the range of the aircraft).
 
FriscoHeavy
Posts: 1603
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:13 pm

The 787 is a phenomenal aircraft. Crazy to think that routes like this are possible these days. As someone pointed out, being about to fly westbound from SFO-SIN and still manage a good bit of cargo is simply amazing (LAX-SIN as well).
Whatever
 
kriskim
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:44 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:43 pm

zeke wrote:
Effectively it is saying no more F to MEL, 44 fewer premium seats a day (152 vs 108), effectively around 80 equivalent J fares a day less in revenue (1xF=3xJ). That is enough revenue for someone to startup an all premium aircraft to LHR. Who will be first foreign carrier to up-guage MEL to take the pax ?


Also remember that MEL pax will also have the option to connect with QF1/2 at SIN, QF will up-gauge QF35/36 to A380, offering F all the way to LHR if pax want that option.
A world built upon connectivity.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7890
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:21 am

kriskim wrote:
zeke wrote:
Effectively it is saying no more F to MEL, 44 fewer premium seats a day (152 vs 108), effectively around 80 equivalent J fares a day less in revenue (1xF=3xJ). That is enough revenue for someone to startup an all premium aircraft to LHR. Who will be first foreign carrier to up-guage MEL to take the pax ?


Also remember that MEL pax will also have the option to connect with QF1/2 at SIN, QF will up-gauge QF35/36 to A380, offering F all the way to LHR if pax want that option.


Yep, plus EK going 3 x A380 DXB-MEL. QF/EK have done a good job of back-filling their own capacity.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
flydude380
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:43 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:41 am

It’s all about survival of the fittest and that award will go to Aussies of any convict stock ;)
 
moa999
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:59 am

kriskim wrote:
Also remember that MEL pax will also have the option to connect with QF1/2 at SIN, QF will up-gauge QF35/36 to A380, offering F all the way to LHR if pax want that option.


QF2/36 works fine.

But QF35/1 is about a 7-hr wait.
QF37/1 is a better connection but only J in the 330s.

Obviously MEL pax also have the PER option
 
User avatar
inflightVideo
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:33 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:04 pm

AndyW35 wrote:
Funny that someone says that quick snapshots of a flight is real aviation video and yet you are the one accused of sitting in a plane for multiple hours for ego value ! It's the other way around surely? I take my hat off for you doing this, there and back, as mentioned in the first great post, so much quicker than the original flights, mindboggling. You will suffer for the cause no doubt. And that's just Heathrow...

Looking forward to your review of both trips.

Personally I will be "flying" it Flightrader24 style in my own study with more screens than a new Emirates 777 First. Australian F1 and cricket on this weekend too so it is all happening. My foods better too as the kebab shop delivers at all hours :D

Keep up the good work, some people will just never get it ;)


Thanks so much Andy, appreciate your support
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 12

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos