NickolayAv

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:44 pm

vfw614 wrote:
As I said, there are not too many routes the 787 has really opened up. In most cases, it has simply replaced an older aircraft type on existing routes. There are some exceptions, either in the ULH arena such as PER-LHR or on niche routes such as TYO-DUS/BOS or LHR-AUS, but mostly the 787 is just another widebody.

One of the greatest achievements of the 787, in my opinion, is that it has allowed airlines to experiment. The 787 has allowed airlines to experiment with trying new routes without taking a huge risk of massive losses like it would with other aircraft. It is an amazing aircraft to prove a new market and it has opened quite a few new routes, look at BA LHR to MSY, BNA, BWI, AUS.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson

DavidByrne

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:10 pm

EK413 wrote:
We in the QF PER-LHR inaugural thread preferred remained that way & stick to the topic.

If you interested discussing B787 ULH suggest heading over to the correct thread...

viewtopic.php?t=587447

EK413

Umm haven’t you been one of the people discussing 787 ULH ops? And anyway, who decides what twists and turns any thread takes? Just an observation . . .
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

Erebus

Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:04 pm

Air travel has come a long way since when this poster came out.

http://acepilots.com/pioneer/boeing_247.html

Congratulations QF and Boeing!

EK413

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:54 am

DavidByrne wrote:
EK413 wrote:
We in the QF PER-LHR inaugural thread preferred remained that way & stick to the topic.

If you interested discussing B787 ULH suggest heading over to the correct thread...

viewtopic.php?t=587447

EK413

Umm haven’t you been one of the people discussing 787 ULH ops? And anyway, who decides what twists and turns any thread takes? Just an observation . . .

I’ve been one of the people discussing the QF inaugural PER-LHR.

To answer your question I’ve simply pointed out ratio of A350’s vs B787’s & ask the discussion continue in the appropriate thread.

DavidByrne wrote:
And anyway, who decides what twists and turns any thread takes? Just an observation . . .

Should we discuss Air New Zealand officially announce AKL-ORD services?!? Just an observation.

EK413 wrote:
ap305 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
With over 650 B787’s delivered vs 150 A350’s could have a lot to do with it too? :roll:

EK413

Very obviously that is a part of the cause as well....

vfw614 wrote:
What exactly is your point? The 787 has been around twice as long as the 350, so no surprise that there are more 787s in service than 350s:

First 787 commercial service: Oct 2011
First 359 commercial service: Jan 2015

Simply pointing out Airbus hub-and-spoke was off the mark whilst Boeing point-to-point flying was the right move hence they had a giant leap ahead of their rival. Therefore as result Airbus are behind the eight ball playing catch-up.

The B789 & A350 are game changers, both brilliant aircraft however saying that QF selected what works and that’s the B789.

EK413

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

HELyes

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:31 pm

kruiseri wrote:

Haven't checked the schedules, but SYD-PER-LHR is some 400 nm longer than for example SYD-HKG-LHR (which quite conveniently lies almost exactly on the great circle route between SYD and LHR). I am sure airport congestion and winds aloft also play a role...

QF should do a SYD-HEL to create a non stop to Europe and use AY:s network to deliver the PAX to all major european destinations ;-)

This is my favourite Great Circle fact: HEL is closer to SYD than any other EU hub, even ATH is a bit further ;)

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=bcn-syd-lh ... th-syd-hel

qf2220

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:56 am

HELyes wrote:
kruiseri wrote:

Haven't checked the schedules, but SYD-PER-LHR is some 400 nm longer than for example SYD-HKG-LHR (which quite conveniently lies almost exactly on the great circle route between SYD and LHR). I am sure airport congestion and winds aloft also play a role...

QF should do a SYD-HEL to create a non stop to Europe and use AY:s network to deliver the PAX to all major european destinations ;-)

This is my favourite Great Circle fact: HEL is closer to SYD than any other EU hub, even ATH is a bit further ;)

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=bcn-syd-lh ... th-syd-hel

DXB is closer still....

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:34 pm

Some of the ATC regions that supported the inaugural flight

Airservices Australia input to the flight

http://newsroom.airservicesaustralia.co ... -the-skies
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:35 pm

Word is that tonight's flight PER-LHR (29 March) has departed with 235 passengers tonight
Forum Moderator

mast2407

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:09 pm

qf789 wrote:
Word is that tonight's flight PER-LHR (29 March) has departed with 235 passengers tonight

Long may that load last!

Also, congrats to you qf789, good thread! Really well managed, and very dignified, well done.

DDR

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:11 pm

I have to say, this thread was a lot of fun. Everyone was excited about this historical event. People were nice to one another and there was a feel of excitement when members posted updates. I loved the moment by moment posts. I hope we see more threads like this. Congrats to QF, Perth, and Australia.

FriscoHeavy

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:29 pm

Question: As someone just mentioned, it appeared to go out full tonight with 235 passengers.

Does anyone think that after a year or so of running the route and having solid payload data, assuming it's favorable, they may end up increasing the number of seats on the plane by 5-10?
Whatever

undertheradar

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:38 pm

[*]
DDR wrote:
I have to say, this thread was a lot of fun. Everyone was excited about this historical event. People were nice to one another and there was a feel of excitement when members posted updates. I loved the moment by moment posts. I hope we see more threads like this. Congrats to QF, Perth, and Australia.

Hear hear. Regardless of what some were saying, PER-LHR NON-STOP is an historical event. I too enjoy specific threads on specific events. Save trawling through alot of 'other' waffle :) Next stop 'project sunrise' AUST-NYC 2022 :)

moa999

Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:18 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
Question: As someone just mentioned, it appeared to go out full tonight with 235 passengers.

Does anyone think that after a year or so of running the route and having solid payload data, assuming it's favorable, they may end up increasing the number of seats on the plane by 5-10?

You could only do that by reducing the pitch.

The stated capacity is 236 (42/28/166).

I assume the 253 number includes crew (4+10-12? And some bubs)

FriscoHeavy

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:01 am

moa999 wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

You could only do that by reducing the pitch.

The stated capacity is 236 (42/28/166).

I assume the 253 number includes crew (4+10-12? And some bubs)

I stand corrected...236 seats.

But my question is still appropriate. Assuming strong loads and favorable payload data, would it be conceivable that a row of seats be added to generate a little more revenue if the fuel burn is less than expected?
Whatever

undertheradar

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:26 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:

But my question is still appropriate. Assuming strong loads and favorable payload data, would it be conceivable that a row of seats be added to generate a little more revenue if the fuel burn is less than expected?

Revenue does not equate to profit. Putting another row of Economy seats will not increase profit margins. The associated costs and ticket price per seat of an extra row of economy will not increase profits. It will however decrease passenger seat space, crew work areas/galley space, perhaps even reduce toilets. That extra row of seats has to come at the expense of other space. An aircraft fuselage/cabin is a finite space. The profits come from the Business and Premium Eco seats. In summary, the extra row/cost of Eco might provide 'revenue' but will not provide a 'relative' profit.

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:08 am

A DJ based in Port Hedland is doing PHE-PER-LHR-PER-PHE this weekend for the fun of it

https://thewest.com.au/news/travel/radi ... b88791195z
Forum Moderator

incitatus

Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:18 am

undertheradar wrote:
Revenue does not equate to profit. Putting another row of Economy seats will not increase profit margins. The associated costs and ticket price per seat of an extra row of economy will not increase profits. It will however decrease passenger seat space, crew work areas/galley space, perhaps even reduce toilets. That extra row of seats has to come at the expense of other space. An aircraft fuselage/cabin is a finite space. The profits come from the Business and Premium Eco seats. In summary, the extra row/cost of Eco might provide 'revenue' but will not provide a 'relative' profit.

I do not understand what you wrote. Can you clarify?

Another row of economy adds costs - the incremental costs of carrying those seats empty when they are not occupied and the incremental costs of carrying additional passengers when they are occupied. When they are occupied, they add revenue. Have you shown that revenue does not make up for the incremental cost? I think not.

But it is true that more seats onboard will come at the expense of comfort for everyone else.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

FriscoHeavy

Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:18 pm

undertheradar wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

Actually, it would increase profit (or decrease loss) if they can fill the seats in this case. The plane is already lightly configured, so adding a single row would decrease the pitch so slightly over the entire economy cabin that it wouldn't even be noticeable. In this case, it would not require reducing toilets, crew areas, etc. Again, I mentioned 1 extra row of seating, not 4 or 5.

If the seats can be filled, it would require very little airfare to cover the cost of installing them and hauling those extra people (fuel, catering, etc), thus, making nearly all the extra revenue profit.
Whatever

qf002

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:43 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
Actually, it would increase profit (or decrease loss) if they can fill the seats in this case. The plane is already lightly configured, so adding a single row would decrease the pitch so slightly over the entire economy cabin that it wouldn't even be noticeable. In this case, it would not require reducing toilets, crew areas, etc. Again, I mentioned 1 extra row of seating, not 4 or 5.

There are only 19 rows of Y so you would need to reduce pitch by almost 2" per row to squeeze an extra row in. That is a hugely noticeable difference.

You have to remember that QF uses the 789 for more than just LHR. If they could fit an extra row of seats in then they would have done so and just blocked those seats when required. The reality is that it's a relatively small aircraft with lots of premium seats and large galleys, and QF's seat count is really not that low - only a few seats less than UA for example (and that difference will probably disappear when UA finally rolls Polaris and W to the 787 fleet).

FriscoHeavy

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:48 pm

qf002 wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

There are only 19 rows of Y so you would need to reduce pitch by almost 2" per row to squeeze an extra row in. That is a hugely noticeable difference.

You have to remember that QF uses the 789 for more than just LHR. If they could fit an extra row of seats in then they would have done so and just blocked those seats when required. The reality is that it's a relatively small aircraft with lots of premium seats and large galleys, and QF's seat count is really not that low - only a few seats less than UA for example (and that difference will probably disappear when UA finally rolls Polaris and W to the 787 fleet).

Thank you for that information.
Whatever

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos