Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

neomax
Topic Author

Engines for Boom SST completed; currently being trucked to hangar and will arrive in a week

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:04 am

Regardless of what the skeptics will say, I have never been more excited for the future of commercial aviation. Finally we're seeing something come together! It's been a long time since Concorde and I'm ready to return to the SST days. Info comes courtesy of Blake Scholl, the man himself.

https://twitter.com/bscholl?ref_src=tws ... r%5Eauthor

LockheedBBD

Re: Engines for Boom SST completed; currently being trucked to hangar and will arrive in a week

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:09 am

I'd love to see some photos.

cougar15

Re: Engines for Boom SST completed; currently being trucked to hangar and will arrive in a week

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:12 am

presume this is for the ´little demonstrator´ that looks a bit like an oversized F5?
some you lose, others you can´t win!

ap305

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:15 am

Good luck to this lot....hopefully they will succeed commercially
Racing, competing, is in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I've been doing it all my life. And it stands up before anything else- Ayrton Senna

LAX772LR

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:37 am

neomax wrote:
Finally we're seeing something come together!

LOL at "something." :razz:

Same thing could've said 16yrs ago with the Japanese tests.

neomax wrote:
Info comes courtesy of Blake Scholl, the man himself.

Anyone else sorta perturbed by the stuff that dude (re)tweets? Creepy.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Noshow

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:00 am

The big question is what engine gets picked for their airliner. Still not named.

parapente

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:28 am

I wish I could get more enthusiastic about this aircraft -or it's (silly) name.It appears to beak no new technical boundaries really ,it's a mini Concorde-an aircaft that couldn't make money with free aircraft and 100 super super premium seats.Quite how this one works with 50 is hard to see.But I wish them the best of luck.
And yes it would be useful for them to know what semi off the shelf engine they are going to use.

sturmovik

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:04 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
neomax wrote:
Finally we're seeing something come together!

LOL at "something." :razz:

Same thing could've said 16yrs ago with the Japanese tests.

neomax wrote:

My first thoughts exactly. Then I remembered most CEOs are weird/creepy/borderline psychopathic.
'What's it doing now?'

Route66

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:19 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

sturmovik wrote:

My first thoughts exactly. Then I remembered most CEOs are weird/creepy/borderline psychopathic.

I read all for this year and didn't notice anything "creepy", the crop dusting vid was even interesting. Maybe he's the normal?

JAAlbert

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:39 pm

Unless the engines will somehow address the sonic boom issue, I don't see how this aircraft will gain more market share than the old Concorde. I recall reading that NASA or some agency believed they had made advancements in reducing the sound, but it doesn't sound like the technology has made it out of the theoretical stage.

VSMUT

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:44 pm

What a curious announcement. Imagine if the CEOs of Boeing or Airbus made announcements in the same manner. "Teehee, our first engines are now loaded on to an An-124 for delivery!"

What engine are we even talking about here?

speedbird52

Tue May 01, 2018 5:08 am

LAX772LR wrote:
neomax wrote:

neomax wrote:

What stuff exactly?

iamlucky13

Wed May 02, 2018 6:31 am

JAAlbert wrote:
Unless the engines will somehow address the sonic boom issue, I don't see how this aircraft will gain more market share than the old Concorde. I recall reading that NASA or some agency believed they had made advancements in reducing the sound, but it doesn't sound like the technology has made it out of the theoretical stage.

They won't substantially, but having a smaller aircraft than the well known legacy example could help. So could recent legislative overtures about changing the regulations regarding sonic booms to be based on actual noise level at the ground like other aircraft noise regulations, instead of arbitrarily requiring that "flights entering or leaving the United States will not cause a sonic boom to reach the surface within the United States" (14 CFR 91.817).

I'm not in a position to validate or disprove what they say, but they claim to have identified a sufficient number of routes with long over-water distances and large numbers of premium passengers to support up to 1000 aircraft over something like a 20 year production timeline. That includes not just point to point routes, but also some connecting with a fast tech stop for routes like US west coast to Asia via Honolulu or Anchorage.

VSMUT wrote:
What a curious announcement. Imagine if the CEOs of Boeing or Airbus made announcements in the same manner. "Teehee, our first engines are now loaded on to an An-124 for delivery!"

What engine are we even talking about here?

The demonstrator aircraft's engine is reported to be a civilian version of the J-85.

It's not really curious. They haven't got anything else to talk about, yet even Boeing and Airbus who have lots to talk about do very similar. Boeing a few months ago had, not simply a tweet, but a live stream with company VIP interviews just to brag about drilling the first holes in a wing spar for the 777X.

Noshow wrote:
The big question is what engine gets picked for their airliner. Still not named.

I'm guessing there won't be for a couple more years. Since they have no company history and a risky business plan, no engine maker is likely to sign on as a risk sharing partner, so they won't have an engine development contract without lots of cash in hand to back up their contract, and they won't have much cash until they can prove to investors they can accurately predict fuel burn and other flight characteristics, which means the tech demonstrator needs a decent number of flight hours under its belt.

parapente wrote:
,it's a mini Concorde-an aircaft that couldn't make money with free aircraft and 100 super super premium seats.

As far as I know, if you ignore the free aircraft part, the Concorde made money for most of its service history. Unsurprisingly though, they didn't make money with a 30 year old orphan fleet in the middle of the biggest downturn in aviation history, which was a major factor in its retirement.

But since its last flight alone, global air traffic volumes have more than doubled, and will likely be around triple by the time could bring an aircraft into service. At a minimum, it's a much more favorable environment in that regards to try to achieve a critical mass fleet size.

CARST

Wed May 02, 2018 7:31 am

Can't they just slap four engines of the F-22 onto that plane and they are good to go?

Noshow

Wed May 02, 2018 8:28 am

They had claimed they could use some ready made military engine from some supersonic cruise missile program I seem to remember. However this engine will not be available for neither use or export. So the big question is what engine the airliner is set to use? It should be defined by now. No engine no airliner it seems.

MakeMinesLAX

Wed May 02, 2018 11:32 am

JAAlbert wrote:
Unless the engines will somehow address the sonic boom issue, I don't see how this aircraft will gain more market share than the old Concorde.

The engines themselves are not the source of the sonic boom - it's the shape of the aircraft and location of the various surfaces and convergence of the resultant shockwaves which are responsible.

Revelation

Wed May 02, 2018 11:43 am

CARST wrote:
Can't they just slap four engines of the F-22 onto that plane and they are good to go?

Yes, but not for very long. Military fighter jet engines are great, but they aren't designed for the number of hours and cycles commercial airline ones are.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Channex757

Wed May 02, 2018 2:45 pm

CARST wrote:

As well as cycles, some military motors still have classified technology on board.

One possible for this project (if there's a competition) is the Eurojet EJ2000. That's been supplied outside the military.

What is GE doing with their F136 engine nowadays?

bigjku

Wed May 02, 2018 3:19 pm

Channex757 wrote:
CARST wrote:

As well as cycles, some military motors still have classified technology on board.

One possible for this project (if there's a competition) is the Eurojet EJ2000. That's been supplied outside the military.

What is GE doing with their F136 engine nowadays?

F136 is owned by US government just like most military engines if they are developed on a government contract. I would doubt it will be released for this.

How much thrust do they need? I would think it could be made to work with 4th generation engines optimized for high speed work.

reltney

Wed May 02, 2018 4:44 pm

The demonstrator aircraft's engine is reported to be a civilian version of the J-85.

Well, then it is a CJ-610.
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

PixelPilot

Wed May 02, 2018 4:51 pm

I don't know why but naming a plane "Boom" just gives me weird feelings.

Revelation

Wed May 02, 2018 5:38 pm

reltney wrote:

Well, then it is a CJ-610.

Yes, according to:

Norris, Guy (18 June 2017). ""Baby Boom" Demonstrator Passes Design Review". Aviation Week. Retrieved 21 March 2018.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric_J85
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

iamlucky13

Wed May 02, 2018 5:57 pm

bigjku wrote:
How much thrust do they need? I would think it could be made to work with 4th generation engines optimized for high speed work.

They've indicated in the ballpark of 15-20,000 lbs dry thrust. The P&W F100 and GE F110 families can do that.

Depending on how much investment they can line up, I tend to think a variant of an existing commercial engine would be the better long term option, if they can keep the modifications to the core minimal, and focus the development mainly on a properly sized fan stage and variable inlet. Then they have potential significant commonality with other in-service engines and longer maintenance intervals.

Noshow wrote:
They had claimed they could use some ready made military engine from some supersonic cruise missile program I seem to remember. However this engine will not be available for neither use or export. So the big question is what engine the airliner is set to use? It should be defined by now. No engine no airliner it seems.

I'm not aware of any cruise missile program in the US that would need an engine anywhere close to big enough.

Obviously the program can't progress very far without an engine, and no schedule should be taken seriously until includes that critical item. It also can't progress very far without several tens if not hundreds of times as much financing as they have so far.

Of the two, I'd be more concerned about the financing than the engines. So far, they have enough backing to be building the demonstrator aircraft - not very much at all, but including a $10 million investment from JAL. That airline should have the technical expertise in their organization to assess whether Boom has a credible plan before throwing money at them.

That due diligence probably includes being privy to the preliminary discussions Boom should have had over the last several years with engine manufacturers. Presumably, the engine manufacturers would be willing to have a very small handful of engineers and managers spend a couple days or so playing with their design and costing models to provide ballpark performance, specific fuel consumption, and development cost projections.

So Boom should have a reasonably accurate idea what will be available to them for engines. They just don't have anywhere near the financial resources to get the engine actually in development.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos