PlaneHunter
Topic Author
Posts: 6537
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:17 am

15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:48 am

Emirates' retirement plans for parts of its 777-300ER fleet were announced a long time ago, the first frame left in early 2017, some older planes have followed. However, I noticed that EK has recently also sent various newer frames into storage. Have these retirements of relatively young planes been planned from the beginning? If not, what''s the reason?

Here's a list of currently stored frames:

A6-EBA, in 03/05 - out 02/18, allegedly destined for Rossiya
A6-EBB, in 03/05 - out 03/18
A6-EBC, in 04/05 - out 11/17
A6-EBI, in 12/05 - out 03/18
A6-EBL, in 02/06 - out 02/18, allegedly destined for Rossiya
A6-ECI, in 07/08 - out 02/18
A6-ECP, in 03/09 - out 01/18
A6-ECT, in 08/09 - out 01/18
A6-EGJ, in 12/11 - out 02/18
A6-EGO, in 03/12 - out 02/18
A6-EGS, in 05/12 - out 02/18
A6-ENQ, in 05/14 - out 11/17
A6-ENS, in 06/14 - out 11/17
A6-ENT, in 08/14 - out 02/18
A6-ENU, in 09/14 - out 02/18
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 8524
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:24 am

What are your criteria for being stored? Could some frames just be serviced or refurbished at this time?
 
PlaneHunter
Topic Author
Posts: 6537
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:17 am

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:32 am

mjoelnir wrote:
What are your criteria for being stored? Could some frames just be serviced or refurbished at this time?


I only have the dates mentioned, so let's use "out of service" instead of "stored". It's certainly true, a D-check could be an explanation in some cases, but the newer frames are too young for that, and some of those have even been out of service since November 17. Btw - except for EBA & EBL, all other frames are stored/parked at DWC.
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!
 
Godzilla7
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:31 am

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:36 am

Is there a smaller need in winter times that leads to parking planes for a small period of time? I know Ryanair does that with many 737 in the winter too.
 
QF744ER
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:59 am

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:15 am

I read somewhere recently that -EBB, C and I were possibly destined for BA but then I've also heard they were sniffing are 3 x TAM 77W's.
 
cedarjet
Posts: 8518
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 1:12 am

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:24 am

Having new business product installed? Heavy checks?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz
 
worldranger
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:12 pm

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:02 am

Don’t rule out pilot shortage. This is something their PR Dept would never admit to but it’s a significant issue that keeps getting worse.
 
PlymSpotter
Posts: 10565
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:32 am

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:03 am

Yes I saw all these at DWC a few days ago - impressive to see that many 77Ws stored.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...
 
JibberJim
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:33 pm

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:27 am

PlymSpotter wrote:
Yes I saw all these at DWC a few days ago - impressive to see that many 77Ws stored.


How was there room with all the dozens of stored 380's that we're always told about?
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 8524
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:36 am

PlaneHunter wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:
What are your criteria for being stored? Could some frames just be serviced or refurbished at this time?


I only have the dates mentioned, so let's use "out of service" instead of "stored". It's certainly true, a D-check could be an explanation in some cases, but the newer frames are too young for that, and some of those have even been out of service since November 17. Btw - except for EBA & EBL, all other frames are stored/parked at DWC.


D check would be done on 6 year old frames, so some of the newer frames on your list could be in a d check. The older frames are about 12 years old, again on time for a D check. Some could be in a C check or being upgraded.
 
PlaneHunter
Topic Author
Posts: 6537
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:17 am

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:45 am

mjoelnir wrote:
D check would be done on 6 year old frames, so some of the newer frames on your list could be in a d check. The older frames are about 12 years old, again on time for a D check. Some could be in a C check or being upgraded.


Yes, could be true for those in that age class. But there are still the much younger frames - and, as suggested by PlymSpotter, apparently numerous planes are parked in the open at DWC.
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 17487
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:56 am

A6-ENQ looks like it's going back into service. It's just flown back to DXB.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
PlaneHunter
Topic Author
Posts: 6537
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:17 am

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:04 pm

scbriml wrote:
A6-ENQ looks like it's going back into service. It's just flown back to DXB.


Thanks!


Just as a sidenote, if anyone's wondering about the A380 fleet status: all frames except for 2 have been in active service within the last three days according to Flightradar24. A6-EDW hasn't flown since 9 March, A6-EUJ since 16 March.
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!
 
jumbojet
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:06 pm

scbriml wrote:
A6-ENQ looks like it's going back into service. It's just flown back to DXB.


Can it also be that DXB simply has no room to park anymore aircraft and they are flown elsewhere on a very temporary basis?
 
migair54
Posts: 2401
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:24 am

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:47 pm

jumbojet wrote:
scbriml wrote:
A6-ENQ looks like it's going back into service. It's just flown back to DXB.


Can it also be that DXB simply has no room to park anymore aircraft and they are flown elsewhere on a very temporary basis?


That's for sure, very little space if any left in DXB and storing planes in DXB is a waste of space.

EK do some maintenance in DWC also, so maybe some of them are in there just waiting for C checks.

I have seen one of the planes mentioned above painted in a red livery, I think for Rossiya moving around the maintenance area in DXB. I think EK also sent some planes for storage to Teruel, but I am not sure if that ones are not back to the leasing company or not. I think EK usually have the planes for 10 years then they go back to leasing companies.

I don't know exactly how is it working with the stored planes and the ones about to retire, but recently one of the few remaining B773 started flying again after 5-6 months in DWC, it is A6-EMV, you can see some of the news regarding EK in this link.

www.theeksource.com

cedarjet wrote:
Having new business product installed? Heavy checks?

No new cabins for that planes, the ones that are getting new cabin are the B77L, I think that ones all have the A6-EW* registration, but I am not sure if that job is being done in DXB or DWC.

PlaneHunter wrote:
Just as a sidenote, if anyone's wondering about the A380 fleet status: all frames except for 2 have been in active service within the last three days according to Flightradar24. A6-EDW hasn't flown since 9 March, A6-EUJ since 16 March.


A6-EUR was delivered a few days ago, 16-March-2018, it's the 102 in the fleet. And A6-EVC just did its first flight so it will be deliver in few months.
 
User avatar
cougar15
Posts: 1416
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:00 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
Yes I saw all these at DWC a few days ago - impressive to see that many 77Ws stored.


As a regular to DWC as a ´Freightdog´, I at least notice a lot of activety around (most of) these frames. Half have no engine covers on them (so they are there temporarily) , stairs are in place an MX guys are swooping all over them, I presume you will have noticed that also. So that leaves us with a few leaving the fleet, a few getting refitted, a few with scheduled MX due, a couple of spares parked ´out of the way´ and suddenly - for a fleet the size of EK.....we don´t seem to have an issue. People forget the fleet size........, go and look at the amount of LH planes at FRA or HAM parked at any one time!
some you lose, others you can´t win!
 
PlaneHunter
Topic Author
Posts: 6537
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:17 am

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:15 pm

cougar15 wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:
Yes I saw all these at DWC a few days ago - impressive to see that many 77Ws stored.


As a regular to DWC as a ´Freightdog´, I at least notice a lot of activety around (most of) these frames. Half have no engine covers on them (so they are there temporarily) , stairs are in place an MX guys are swooping all over them, I presume you will have noticed that also. So that leaves us with a few leaving the fleet, a few getting refitted, a few with scheduled MX due, a couple of spares parked ´out of the way´ and suddenly - for a fleet the size of EK.....we don´t seem to have an issue. People forget the fleet size........, go and look at the amount of LH planes at FRA or HAM parked at any one time!


Most of these planes have been stored/parked for more than four weeks, two of the newer ones even since November 2017. As for LH at its hubs - currently one A319 stored at FRA, three A346 (at least one to re-enter service) stored at MUC and one A346 being prepared for service re-entry at HAM.
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!
 
User avatar
Flying Belgian
Posts: 1948
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 12:45 am

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:24 pm

You talk about pilot shortage, but a friend of mine, a F/O on A380 isn't really flying a lot. Max 75h / month scheduled... He can commute very often to Belgium during his numerous OFF days...
Life is great at 41.000 feet...
 
emiratesdriver
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:24 pm

JibberJim wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:
Yes I saw all these at DWC a few days ago - impressive to see that many 77Ws stored.


How was there room with all the dozens of stored 380's that we're always told about?


Jim, in EK circles it’s called active storage and as I’ve pointed out on previous threads the 380 Fleet is working to capacity at the moment due to it being less costly to “actively store” 777s rather than the 380s.
Make no mistake, this is all about crew shortages particularly Captains on the 380, as it always has been. There has been some new blood injected into the flight ops dept of late, but the same old problems exist in terms of leave not awarded, crushing rostering and a punitive management mentality.
FWIW as of March the 1st a little over 800 extra pilots were required to fill the programme for the year, this does not include losses due to resignations that are running at 25-30 per month.
 
na
Posts: 9699
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 1999 3:52 am

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:51 pm

Beside some planes parked for various "logical" reasons, maintenance, seasonal, refurbishment, EK is at the beginning of a largescale 77W-turnover program, where incoming new frames replace older ones. I guess the older 5 or 6 mentioned are there for that reason, awaiting slots for repainting into the next customers livery, or just stored before being flown to Marana, Victorville or whatever storage place.
 
VSMUT
Posts: 3045
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Flying Belgian wrote:
You talk about pilot shortage, but a friend of mine, a F/O on A380 isn't really flying a lot. Max 75h / month scheduled... He can commute very often to Belgium during his numerous OFF days...


But if he didn't have so much time off, would he still be interested in working for them? ;) If they chase him off with Ryanair style rosters, then the shortage will just get worse.
 
N212R
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:18 pm

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:57 pm

emiratesdriver wrote:
Jim, in EK circles it’s called active storage and as I’ve pointed out on previous threads the 380 Fleet is working to capacity at the moment due to it being less costly to “actively store” 777s rather than the 380s.
Make no mistake, this is all about crew shortages particularly Captains on the 380, as it always has been. There has been some new blood injected into the flight ops dept of late, but the same old problems exist in terms of leave not awarded, crushing rostering and a punitive management mentality.
FWIW as of March the 1st a little over 800 extra pilots were required to fill the programme for the year, this does not include losses due to resignations that are running at 25-30 per month.


Some attention getting numbers....thanks for the real world explanation.
 
User avatar
AA777223
Posts: 1073
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:12 am

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:20 pm

migair54 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
scbriml wrote:
A6-ENQ looks like it's going back into service. It's just flown back to DXB.


Can it also be that DXB simply has no room to park anymore aircraft and they are flown elsewhere on a very temporary basis?


That's for sure, very little space if any left in DXB and storing planes in DXB is a waste of space.

EK do some maintenance in DWC also, so maybe some of them are in there just waiting for C checks.

I have seen one of the planes mentioned above painted in a red livery, I think for Rossiya moving around the maintenance area in DXB. I think EK also sent some planes for storage to Teruel, but I am not sure if that ones are not back to the leasing company or not. I think EK usually have the planes for 10 years then they go back to leasing companies.

I don't know exactly how is it working with the stored planes and the ones about to retire, but recently one of the few remaining B773 started flying again after 5-6 months in DWC, it is A6-EMV, you can see some of the news regarding EK in this link.

http://www.theeksource.com

cedarjet wrote:
Having new business product installed? Heavy checks?

No new cabins for that planes, the ones that are getting new cabin are the B77L, I think that ones all have the A6-EW* registration, but I am not sure if that job is being done in DXB or DWC.

PlaneHunter wrote:
Just as a sidenote, if anyone's wondering about the A380 fleet status: all frames except for 2 have been in active service within the last three days according to Flightradar24. A6-EDW hasn't flown since 9 March, A6-EUJ since 16 March.


A6-EUR was delivered a few days ago, 16-March-2018, it's the 102 in the fleet. And A6-EVC just did its first flight so it will be deliver in few months.

I think you might be a little confused. All of the 77Ws (to my knowledge) are getting a new true lie-flat 2-3-2 J product, with the quilted leather, vs the old angle flats. the 10 77Ls are getting the same seat, just in a 2-2-2 config. So, in theory, any of these could be getting J mods.
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146
 
User avatar
BOEING777EK
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 2:09 pm

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:55 pm

Wasn't there speculations that Cathay Pacific would add 5X 773's Ex EK A6-EMQ,MR,MT,MV and EMX. I would imagine these starting to ended up along with the stored 777W's currently at DWC
 
Planesmart
Posts: 2891
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:18 am

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:43 pm

emiratesdriver wrote:
JibberJim wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:
Yes I saw all these at DWC a few days ago - impressive to see that many 77Ws stored.


How was there room with all the dozens of stored 380's that we're always told about?


Jim, in EK circles it’s called active storage and as I’ve pointed out on previous threads the 380 Fleet is working to capacity at the moment due to it being less costly to “actively store” 777s rather than the 380s.
Make no mistake, this is all about crew shortages particularly Captains on the 380, as it always has been. There has been some new blood injected into the flight ops dept of late, but the same old problems exist in terms of leave not awarded, crushing rostering and a punitive management mentality.
FWIW as of March the 1st a little over 800 extra pilots were required to fill the programme for the year, this does not include losses due to resignations that are running at 25-30 per month.

Was called 'virtual storage' according to your previous posts. Or is A380 storage virtual, and 777 active?

Eleven months ago, you advised there were A380's hidden all over the place, STC would be gone in months, existing A380 orders were likely to be cancelled, fleet utilisation had fallen 7-8%pa year in real terms for multiple years, significant flight crew shortages with A380 flight crew being moved to the 777............

Nearly a year later, despite A380 crew transferred to 777's, an ongoing shortfall in A380 captains, and most previously deferred A380's delivered, now the A380 fleet is being used to capacity.

Epiphany for EK financial and legal experts. Apparently more cost-effective to pay for and store 777's, versus fly empty A380's.
 
Planesmart
Posts: 2891
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:18 am

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:09 pm

PlaneHunter wrote:
Emirates' retirement plans for parts of its 777-300ER fleet were announced a long time ago, the first frame left in early 2017, some older planes have followed. However, I noticed that EK has recently also sent various newer frames into storage. Have these retirements of relatively young planes been planned from the beginning? If not, what''s the reason?

Here's a list of currently stored frames:

A6-EBA, in 03/05 - out 02/18, allegedly destined for Rossiya
A6-EBB, in 03/05 - out 03/18
A6-EBC, in 04/05 - out 11/17
A6-EBI, in 12/05 - out 03/18
A6-EBL, in 02/06 - out 02/18, allegedly destined for Rossiya
A6-ECI, in 07/08 - out 02/18
A6-ECP, in 03/09 - out 01/18
A6-ECT, in 08/09 - out 01/18
A6-EGJ, in 12/11 - out 02/18
A6-EGO, in 03/12 - out 02/18
A6-EGS, in 05/12 - out 02/18
A6-ENQ, in 05/14 - out 11/17
A6-ENS, in 06/14 - out 11/17
A6-ENT, in 08/14 - out 02/18
A6-ENU, in 09/14 - out 02/18

EK lease 777's on terms of 10, 12 or 14 years, depending on the leasor, with differing hours/cycles caps. Often lease terms are undisclosed, due to the way the lease is funded, and the way the aircraft has been purchased by the leasor. Sometimes even the leasor name in undisclosed.

Leases specify maximum aircraft and engine cycles and hours, at end of lease (EOL). Some leases reward lower use, but all penalise excess hours and cycles, and by greater margins than for under use.

So some aircraft nearing end of lease will be deliberately rested, to avoid incur excess hours / cycles charges, while others may be rostered to longer flights to boost hours, or short flights to boost cycles.

Good fleet planning is about delivering the aircraft and engines a whisker below the maximum contracted hours and cycles.

EK have a deal with 777 leasors (certainly on newer deliveries), where at end of lease they remain with EK at DXB or DWC. Until the leasor finds a new leasee, disposes of, or scraps the aircraft, EK can suspend parts of the final balloon payment covering re-paint, refurbish, maintenance and inspections, which of course it can do inhouse.

With some 777 leasors, EK has an EOL on demand deal, whereby they can continue to use the aircraft, paying an agreed rate for hours and cycles, as and when used.

Some of the more recently delivered aircraft not in use may be due to timing, mechanical resources (an aircraft with an imminent inspection and an unplanned issue, may get priority over an aircraft already waiting for inspection because it's easier and most cost-effective to combine the two), warranty (covered by confidentiality clauses), interior update, parts awaited..............

Of the disclosed leases covering 777's, aircraft are averaging 9.5 to 13 hours a day, with no allowance for maintenance and inspections. As a general rule of thumb, newer aircraft are achieving higher hours, reducing over time (same with A380 too - newer aircraft, with better interiors, fly longer routes). Pattern consistent with previous years, though could be engineered by just storing aircraft with unpublished leases.

What WB average daily utilisation hours are EU3 and US3 achieving? And what is industry best practice, where utilisation is considered too high impacting customer service standards?
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:43 am

Isn't DXB going to have a runway shut down for heavy maintenance pretty soon? Wouldn't it make sense to keep the A380 fleet as busy as possible in order to cut down on the number of slots being used?
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 7112
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:00 am

Planesmart wrote:
emiratesdriver wrote:
JibberJim wrote:

How was there room with all the dozens of stored 380's that we're always told about?


Jim, in EK circles it’s called active storage and as I’ve pointed out on previous threads the 380 Fleet is working to capacity at the moment due to it being less costly to “actively store” 777s rather than the 380s.
Make no mistake, this is all about crew shortages particularly Captains on the 380, as it always has been. There has been some new blood injected into the flight ops dept of late, but the same old problems exist in terms of leave not awarded, crushing rostering and a punitive management mentality.
FWIW as of March the 1st a little over 800 extra pilots were required to fill the programme for the year, this does not include losses due to resignations that are running at 25-30 per month.

Was called 'virtual storage' according to your previous posts. Or is A380 storage virtual, and 777 active?

Eleven months ago, you advised there were A380's hidden all over the place, STC would be gone in months, existing A380 orders were likely to be cancelled, fleet utilisation had fallen 7-8%pa year in real terms for multiple years, significant flight crew shortages with A380 flight crew being moved to the 777............

Nearly a year later, despite A380 crew transferred to 777's, an ongoing shortfall in A380 captains, and most previously deferred A380's delivered, now the A380 fleet is being used to capacity.

Epiphany for EK financial and legal experts. Apparently more cost-effective to pay for and store 777's, versus fly empty A380's.


In summary it is PR driven creative fleet planning. No one outside can figure out what is happening inside.
 
thgsr08
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:34 am

QF744ER wrote:
I read somewhere recently that -EBB, C and I were possibly destined for BA but then I've also heard they were sniffing are 3 x TAM 77W's.

It makes sense that BA is seeking for JJ's 77W. But it cant happen anytime soon as JJ just renew the contract for 9 of 10 aircrafts of the model and just 1 is leaving the fleet this year, if it really does...
:checkeredflag:
 
migair54
Posts: 2401
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:24 am

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:14 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
Isn't DXB going to have a runway shut down for heavy maintenance pretty soon? Wouldn't it make sense to keep the A380 fleet as busy as possible in order to cut down on the number of slots being used?

16 April 2019, so not really pretty soon, the south runways 12R-30L will be closed for days, In 2014 they have a similar program and I think things were not that worse, at that time it was something like 70-80 days because they did both runways.
 
PlaneHunter
Topic Author
Posts: 6537
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:17 am

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:34 am

Planesmart wrote:
EK lease 777's on terms of 10, 12 or 14 years, depending on the leasor, with differing hours/cycles caps. Often lease terms are undisclosed, due to the way the lease is funded, and the way the aircraft has been purchased by the leasor. Sometimes even the leasor name in undisclosed.

Leases specify maximum aircraft and engine cycles and hours, at end of lease (EOL). Some leases reward lower use, but all penalise excess hours and cycles, and by greater margins than for under use.

So some aircraft nearing end of lease will be deliberately rested, to avoid incur excess hours / cycles charges, while others may be rostered to longer flights to boost hours, or short flights to boost cycles.

Good fleet planning is about delivering the aircraft and engines a whisker below the maximum contracted hours and cycles.

EK have a deal with 777 leasors (certainly on newer deliveries), where at end of lease they remain with EK at DXB or DWC. Until the leasor finds a new leasee, disposes of, or scraps the aircraft, EK can suspend parts of the final balloon payment covering re-paint, refurbish, maintenance and inspections, which of course it can do inhouse.

With some 777 leasors, EK has an EOL on demand deal, whereby they can continue to use the aircraft, paying an agreed rate for hours and cycles, as and when used.

Some of the more recently delivered aircraft not in use may be due to timing, mechanical resources (an aircraft with an imminent inspection and an unplanned issue, may get priority over an aircraft already waiting for inspection because it's easier and most cost-effective to combine the two), warranty (covered by confidentiality clauses), interior update, parts awaited..............

Of the disclosed leases covering 777's, aircraft are averaging 9.5 to 13 hours a day, with no allowance for maintenance and inspections. As a general rule of thumb, newer aircraft are achieving higher hours, reducing over time (same with A380 too - newer aircraft, with better interiors, fly longer routes). Pattern consistent with previous years, though could be engineered by just storing aircraft with unpublished leases.


Very interesting contribution, thanks!
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!
 
emiratesdriver
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:22 pm

Planesmart wrote:
emiratesdriver wrote:
JibberJim wrote:

How was there room with all the dozens of stored 380's that we're always told about?


Jim, in EK circles it’s called active storage and as I’ve pointed out on previous threads the 380 Fleet is working to capacity at the moment due to it being less costly to “actively store” 777s rather than the 380s.
Make no mistake, this is all about crew shortages particularly Captains on the 380, as it always has been. There has been some new blood injected into the flight ops dept of late, but the same old problems exist in terms of leave not awarded, crushing rostering and a punitive management mentality.
FWIW as of March the 1st a little over 800 extra pilots were required to fill the programme for the year, this does not include losses due to resignations that are running at 25-30 per month.

Was called 'virtual storage' according to your previous posts. Or is A380 storage virtual, and 777 active?

Eleven months ago, you advised there were A380's hidden all over the place, STC would be gone in months, existing A380 orders were likely to be cancelled, fleet utilisation had fallen 7-8%pa year in real terms for multiple years, significant flight crew shortages with A380 flight crew being moved to the 777............

Nearly a year later, despite A380 crew transferred to 777's, an ongoing shortfall in A380 captains, and most previously deferred A380's delivered, now the A380 fleet is being used to capacity.

Epiphany for EK financial and legal experts. Apparently more cost-effective to pay for and store 777's, versus fly empty A380's.


Planesmart, I’m merely parroting what various Fleet management types have been saying in crew wash ups over the last 3 months. But please don’t let the facts get in the way of your half-baked opinion.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 18147
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:28 pm

Planesmart wrote:
PlaneHunter wrote:
Emirates' retirement plans for parts of its 777-300ER fleet were announced a long time ago, the first frame left in early 2017, some older planes have followed. However, I noticed that EK has recently also sent various newer frames into storage. Have these retirements of relatively young planes been planned from the beginning? If not, what''s the reason?

Here's a list of currently stored frames:

A6-EBA, in 03/05 - out 02/18, allegedly destined for Rossiya
A6-EBB, in 03/05 - out 03/18
A6-EBC, in 04/05 - out 11/17
A6-EBI, in 12/05 - out 03/18
A6-EBL, in 02/06 - out 02/18, allegedly destined for Rossiya
A6-ECI, in 07/08 - out 02/18
A6-ECP, in 03/09 - out 01/18
A6-ECT, in 08/09 - out 01/18
A6-EGJ, in 12/11 - out 02/18
A6-EGO, in 03/12 - out 02/18
A6-EGS, in 05/12 - out 02/18
A6-ENQ, in 05/14 - out 11/17
A6-ENS, in 06/14 - out 11/17
A6-ENT, in 08/14 - out 02/18
A6-ENU, in 09/14 - out 02/18

EK lease 777's on terms of 10, 12 or 14 years, depending on the leasor, with differing hours/cycles caps. Often lease terms are undisclosed, due to the way the lease is funded, and the way the aircraft has been purchased by the leasor. Sometimes even the leasor name in undisclosed.

Leases specify maximum aircraft and engine cycles and hours, at end of lease (EOL). Some leases reward lower use, but all penalise excess hours and cycles, and by greater margins than for under use.

So some aircraft nearing end of lease will be deliberately rested, to avoid incur excess hours / cycles charges, while others may be rostered to longer flights to boost hours, or short flights to boost cycles.

Good fleet planning is about delivering the aircraft and engines a whisker below the maximum contracted hours and cycles.

EK have a deal with 777 leasors (certainly on newer deliveries), where at end of lease they remain with EK at DXB or DWC. Until the leasor finds a new leasee, disposes of, or scraps the aircraft, EK can suspend parts of the final balloon payment covering re-paint, refurbish, maintenance and inspections, which of course it can do inhouse.

With some 777 leasors, EK has an EOL on demand deal, whereby they can continue to use the aircraft, paying an agreed rate for hours and cycles, as and when used.

Some of the more recently delivered aircraft not in use may be due to timing, mechanical resources (an aircraft with an imminent inspection and an unplanned issue, may get priority over an aircraft already waiting for inspection because it's easier and most cost-effective to combine the two), warranty (covered by confidentiality clauses), interior update, parts awaited..............

Of the disclosed leases covering 777's, aircraft are averaging 9.5 to 13 hours a day, with no allowance for maintenance and inspections. As a general rule of thumb, newer aircraft are achieving higher hours, reducing over time (same with A380 too - newer aircraft, with better interiors, fly longer routes). Pattern consistent with previous years, though could be engineered by just storing aircraft with unpublished leases.

What WB average daily utilisation hours are EU3 and US3 achieving? And what is industry best practice, where utilisation is considered too high impacting customer service standards?

We used to have periodic threads of EK utilization. Search for ultimate analysis site: airlines.net.

In prior analysis, aircraft drifted towards lower utilization. I'm certain this was because:
1. Newer aircraft have better per hour and per cycle economics.
2. Approaching hour or cycle caps.

Everything I've seen is that EK is a numbers run company. They are the only one of the ME3 making money.

EK has a hard capacity constraint at DXB and not enough profit to build up DWC. Oh well. This ironically forced an end to fast expansion at just the right time. This, again ironically, puts the in a great position when the new Istanbul airport opens n October with a fast (single digit days) transfer.


No one else in the region is ready for the new Istanbul airport. Cest la vie. I personally think the EU3, Chinese airlines, and Indian airlines are in for as much of a shock as the ME3.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.
 
TSA125
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:56 pm

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:27 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
Yes I saw all these at DWC a few days ago - impressive to see that many 77Ws stored.


Are there any photos of all the stored EK frames at DWC? Or is it banned to take photos?
No not that TSA.
 
na
Posts: 9699
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 1999 3:52 am

Re: 15 Emirates 777-300ERs in storage - older & newer frames

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:02 am

PlaneHunter wrote:
A6-EBA[/b], in 03/05 - out 02/18, allegedly destined for Rossiya
A6-EBL[/b], in 02/06 - out 02/18, allegedly destined for Rossiya


Confirmed:
http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/regdb.m ... av4&page=3
http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/regdb.m ... av4&page=4

I wonder if these are for expansion or if they are replacing older 773s with 77Ws.

Emirates also retired 773 A6-EMQ, which will be replacing an old 772 in Cathay Pacific´s fleet later this year.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos