TWA302
Topic Author

World's best airports for 2018 named by Skytrax

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:20 pm

I love how Q1 isn't over yet but we have the best airports of the year. Granted, not many would change

1. Singapore Changi Airport
2. Incheon International Airport )
3. Tokyo International Airport (Haneda)
4. Hong Kong International Airport
5. Hamad International Airport
6. Munich Airport
7. Chubu Centrair Nagoya
8. London Heathrow Airport
9. Zurich Airport
10. Frankfurt Airport

Full list is here: http://www.worldairportawards.com/Awards/world_airport_rating.html

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/worlds-best-airports-2018/index.html

CCGPV

Re: World's best airports for 2018 named by Skytrax

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:32 pm

"In 2012, the online investigations company KwikChex filed five complaints with the UK Advertising Standards Authority related to statements on the Skytrax web site describing the volume and reliability of their reviews as well as the official status and update frequency of their ratings. The Authority upheld all five complaints and Skytrax agreed to modify some promotional wording."

Scam company with paid for reviews and recommendations.

Worse than Yelp and TripAdvisor.
Stay curious

flyingturtle

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:34 pm

I wanted to fly from Chicago to Sydney, but as none of the top-rated airports are on my way, I guess I have to drive.

No, seriously - what is the purpose of this ranking? To lure more passengers to certain airports? "I want to fly to Singapore, but I need a stopover in Tokyo because that airport seems to be great."

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

OA260

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:35 pm

While I agree with some on the list as you go further down it gets more and more puzzling. As with everything Skytrax to be taken with a pinch of salt.

S0Y

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:35 pm

Usual BS from Skytrax, just like their airline rankings

[email protected]

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:37 pm

Little to argue about, really, as a number of them make sense. Those arguing otherwise - "usual BS from Skytrax" - are probably used to Little Rock Airport.
Last edited by [email protected] on Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

dcaviation

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:38 pm

LHR? Somebody is smoking some serious stuff.

NDiesel

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:42 pm

How is this done, exactly? Any airport may enter the competition and an equal amount of surveys are carried out with travellers at each airport?
Delta MD-11 JFK-CDG - Upon sunrise I fell in love with aviation

readytotaxi

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:47 pm

With the right size "brown envelope" I think I could get Manston airport in the top 10.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

jetwet1

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:50 pm

How in the world is LHR above ZRH ? Right there proves Skytrax has zero credibility.

CCGPV

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:52 pm

NDiesel wrote:
How is this done, exactly? Any airport may enter the competition and an equal amount of surveys are carried out with travellers at each airport?

Its a marketing company. They don't publish their methodology or raw data.
Stay curious

[email protected]

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:53 pm

While it doesn't provide details of any weightings, etc., etc., here is what they look at:

http://www.worldairportawards.com/Award ... ology.html
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

S0Y

Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:46 pm

[email protected] wrote:
Little to argue about, really, as a number of them make sense. Those arguing otherwise - "usual BS from Skytrax" - are probably used to Little Rock Airport.

I have been thru all of them except Chubu, and I still think it is SkyTrax BS.
Sure some of them make sense, but even then there are questions about their placing on the list.

LHR is not better than ZRH, not is HKG worse than ICN or HND
I think HIA is overrated also, way too many bus gates

stylo777

Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:00 pm

Is it possible that you mix up old DOH with new HIA where there are plenty of jetways available and used?

ScottB

Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:05 pm

[email protected] wrote:

jetwet1 wrote:
How in the world is LHR above ZRH ? Right there proves Skytrax has zero credibility.

Heck, how in the world is LHR above Little Rock? The only place I'd rank LHR above most airports would be "resemblance to a circle of Hell."

[email protected]

Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:31 pm

S0Y wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

I have been thru all of them except Chubu, and I still think it is SkyTrax BS.
Sure some of them make sense, but even then there are questions about their placing on the list.

LHR is not better than ZRH, not is HKG worse than ICN or HND
I think HIA is overrated also, way too many bus gates

The fact is, it could be the most comprehensive, scientific, and rigorous ever - and still almost everyone would disagree. Such is the issue with any ranking.

hoons90

Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:36 pm

As much as I am skeptical of Skytrax, I do agree with the top 4.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

Antarius

Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:48 pm

dcaviation wrote:

This.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHTYYZ DEN DOH BLR MAA TXL MEX

EvanWSFO

Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:05 pm

All I ever hear on a.net about Skytrax is the system is rigged. Does anyone have some solid evidence that it is? I'd love to see a link and read it for myself.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

OA260

Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:15 pm

1. the claims “Checked and trusted airline reviews” and “REAL travellers with REAL opinions!” were misleading and could not be substantiated, because they understood that Skytrax did not verify the reviews on their website and therefore could not prove that they were genuine;

2. the claim “More than 5 million independent, traveller reviews and customer trip ratings” was misleading and could not be substantiated;

3. the claim “Official Quality Star Ranking(TM)” was misleading, because it suggested that the ranking system was official and not the advertiser’s own creation;

4. the claim “The Star Ranking programme operates in a real-time analysis format, to ensure that Airline Star Ranking levels are constantly maintained and adjusted in accordance with changes made by an airline, be this to product or service standards – on average, each airline’s Star Ranking is reviewed in depth every 2-3 months, and adjusted in accordance with the annual ratings” was misleading and could not be substantiated, because they understood that the website continued to display rankings for airlines which were no longer in business; and

5. the claim “TRADEMARK(TM) PROTECTION – The titles below are protected by Skytrax, and can only be used by a Registered 5-Star Airline with consent of Skytrax” and accompanying list were misleading, because they did not believe that those titles were trademarked.

www.tnooz.com/article/uk-regulator-upho ... e-skytrax/

xdlx

Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:29 pm

They have never been to ATH or ARN or the old Delhi airport!

Socrates17

Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:35 pm

So much depends on whether or not you have to change terminals, if you use lounges or not, if you like duty free shopping, and just personal preference. In the US, I always rent a car or get picked up, so easy access by road is important. In Europe & Asia, easy access to public transit is important to me. Lists like this are just to start conversations. Does anyone really change their travel plans due to Skytrax?
You Can't Take the Sky from Me

n92r03

Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Can't believe none of the airports around NYC made it... What rubbish. :)

SFOtoORD

Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:42 pm

FRA at #10 is a joke. When the majority of your flights go out of a remote stand via buses you should be DQ’ed.

devron

Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:26 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
FRA at #10 is a joke. When the majority of your flights go out of a remote stand via buses you should be DQ’ed.

Maybe because LH uses this airport and people are happy with LH and this is reflected in the Fra reviews. Otherwise I also can't explain this besides the fact that it fels everyone has access to the LH lounges.

bevan7

Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:49 pm

On a separate but related note. How many of the top 100 have you all been to? I've flown in or out of 77. Anybody visited more?

[email protected]

Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:53 pm

OA260 wrote:

To be fair, the article also says:

"A Skytrax statement says that since the ASA ruling the company has subsequently been:

‘permitted to maintain full use of the established, key terminology such as ‘official Skytrax 5-Star Airline” and related Official Skytrax Star Rating levels for all Airline and Airport Star Ranking Programmes.’"

I couldn't careless one way or the other about Skytrax. But I do think that any 'official' ranking system is always going to get into great difficulty in terms of acceptability or correctness or allegations of bias - no matter its comprehensiveness, scientific nature, rigor, transparency, or whatever - as everyone will always disagree with such things.

Jawaiiansky66

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:02 pm

Interesting that the fancy new airports in Chinese cities are further down the list. Looks like Shanghai is the only one in the top 20...i wonder why? Nice facilities but poor services?

LAXLHR

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:06 pm

CCGPV wrote:
"In 2012, the online investigations company KwikChex filed five complaints with the UK Advertising Standards Authority related to statements on the Skytrax web site describing the volume and reliability of their reviews as well as the official status and update frequency of their ratings. The Authority upheld all five complaints and Skytrax agreed to modify some promotional wording."

Scam company with paid for reviews and recommendations.

Worse than Yelp and TripAdvisor.

I have found Yelp and Tripadvisor to be highly accurate. One can always figure out which reviews are fake!
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR PG MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380

zakuivcustom

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:17 pm

Jawaiiansky66 wrote:
Interesting that the fancy new airports in Chinese cities are further down the list. Looks like Shanghai is the only one in the top 20...i wonder why? Nice facilities but poor services?

And I would say Hongqiao only get so far up b/c of how convenient it is compare to the rest. It's not even all that great of an airport anyway.

And as I've always said about (mainland) Chinese airports - typical of everything mainland China, everything is facade only with no core. Services? What services?

Socrates17 wrote:
So much depends on whether or not you have to change terminals, if you use lounges or not, if you like duty free shopping, and just personal preference. In the US, I always rent a car or get picked up, so easy access by road is important. In Europe & Asia, easy access to public transit is important to me. Lists like this are just to start conversations. Does anyone really change their travel plans due to Skytrax?

Just admit that American Airports, for the most part, are not all that great.

Of course, you can never beat those Shopping Malls in an airport oversea.

P.S. I've always found HKG overrated anyway, not with that average 1 hr baggage wait every single time I go back.

P.S. Nice to see CDG way down the list compare to the rest of European airport, well deserved :duck:

LH982

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:27 pm

devron wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

Maybe because LH uses this airport and people are happy with LH and this is reflected in the Fra reviews. Otherwise I also can't explain this besides the fact that it fels everyone has access to the LH lounges.

The lounges aren't that great either. On the plus side, it's great if you like buses and running.

Dominion301

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:32 pm

S0Y wrote:
Usual BS from Skytrax, just like their airline rankings

I love how some 2017 ACI ASQ 'top three' award winners (the true benchmark) aren't even in the top 100, while others aren't even in the top 50. Looks like most 'real' winners aren't into paying for awards.

77H

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:47 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Jawaiiansky66 wrote:

And I would say Hongqiao only get so far up b/c of how convenient it is compare to the rest. It's not even all that great of an airport anyway.

And as I've always said about (mainland) Chinese airports - typical of everything mainland China, everything is facade only with no core. Services? What services?

Socrates17 wrote:

Of course, you can never beat those Shopping Malls in an airport oversea.

P.S. I've always found HKG overrated anyway, not with that average 1 hr baggage wait every single time I go back.

P.S. Nice to see CDG way down the list compare to the rest of European airport, well deserved :duck:

I'd agree with your assessment of US airports. For me personally, I always enjoy traveling through DEN and SFO. Operationally SFO can be a disaster but the terminals are nice and clean which takes the sting out of flow control delays a bit. Another airport I find very nice is OGG and it's actually being renovated airside right now. For the size and functionality of the airport it find it to punch above its weight in amenities. Gate to curb time in 2-3 minutes. Curb to gate however can be a nightmare due to TSA.

77H

blooc350

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:48 pm

The top 4 airports are and has always been the top airports, so theres no surprise there. I simply CANT wait to see the new Jewel terminal at Singapore's Changi Airport!

jjb415

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:07 pm

[email protected] wrote:

No. Actually not. With all respect, there is no way Seoul should be #2 and London and Frankfurt shouldn't even be on the list.

[email protected]

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:10 pm

jjb415 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

No. Actually not. With all respect, there is no way Seoul should be #2 and London and Frankfurt shouldn't even be on the list.

I said, "a number of them make sense". Which means to me. It is, of course, subjective, which is why such rankings - regardless of how methodologically sound they are - will never be accepted.

cedarjet

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:12 pm

Don’t know what’s wrong with LHR, it has probably the widest range of airlines and destinations of any airport in the world, and that does count — a nice facility that doesn’t have flights to anywhere is of no value. Security is usually fast, gates are easy to find, great lounges, and a hometown carrier with 30+ 747s to keep avgeeks amused. What more do you want? Only the T4 to T5 direct rail link is missing. And arrival immigration queues could be a bit faster.

I find FRA incredibly counter-intuitive, never really know where I am or how far I have to go, it’s up half a floor, through a corridor, construction, left a bit, down, CHECKPOINT, round the corner, more construction, upstairs, wait, go back, etc.

And Doha in that regard (except it’s not a building site) is even worse, there isn’t a right angle (90 degrees) in the place. Bonus credit for the train inside the terminal.)
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

jjb415

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:13 pm

[email protected] wrote:
jjb415 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

I said, "a number of them make sense". Which means to me. It is, of course, subjective, which is why such rankings - regardless of how methodologically sound they are - will never be accepted.

I was referring to your Little Rock comment.

andrefranca

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:57 pm

OA260 wrote:
While I agree with some on the list as you go further down it gets more and more puzzling. As with everything Skytrax to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I think they are taking things more serious now as I only get my reviews posted if I upload my boarding passes along with it.
Andre F. :blockhead:

klm617

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:03 pm

I call BS on this survey Atlanta is no where in the top 10.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Jetty

Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:26 am

Socrates17 wrote:
Does anyone really change their travel plans due to Skytrax?

I travel on 5-star Airlines whenever possible.

MaverickM11

Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:16 am

As an airline nut I love LHR and FRA, but as a traveler, I recognize they are nightmares.

ScottB wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

jetwet1 wrote:

Heck, how in the world is LHR above Little Rock? The only place I'd rank LHR above most airports would be "resemblance to a circle of Hell."

I don’t think Hell requires as many bus transfers
E pur si muove -Galileo

MSNDreaming

Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:47 am

While I personally have never transited through LIT (officially Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport, in Little Rock), I find it interesting that in my personal opinion one of the best airports in the world that I have traveled through is in Arkansas: XNA (Northwest Arkansas). XNA has a very logical layout that is easy to navigate through, the most efficient security setup I've seen, clean and large bathrooms, plenty of windows and seats, and now a microbrewery (Core). The only downside to XNA is the spotting (but we still have MD80's!), as the majority of flights are regional planes. In the top ten Skytrax, I've been through SIN, ICN, HKG, NGO, LHR, ZRH, and FRA (and will get MUC in a couple of weeks), and I still find my time in XNA more pleasant than any of these.

Now, XNA doesn't have Spotted Cow (as MSN does), but that is a whole other story which is best told over a cold Spotted Cow :smile: :smile: :cloudnine:

787Driver

Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:18 pm

dcaviation wrote:

You can more appropriately say that about JFK. #69??? Really? Feels like you just landed in a third world country, but even some of those countries have far better airports.

OlympicATH

Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:47 pm

xdlx wrote:

What is your problem with ATH exactly? Or ARN for that matter. And what do you mean the old DEL?

ATH might not be an architectural gem but that's not the point. It is super clean, very easy to navigate, services are great, there are very few delays even when it snows (unlike LHR for example) and there is a wide range of shopping and dining options. Not sure why it is so shocking to you. And it's #39, it's not like it's in the top 10.
Same goes for ARN.
And i've travelled through DEL a few times (various terminals) and I thought it was world class.

neutrino

Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:51 pm

blooc350 wrote:
The top 4 airports are and has always been the top airports, so theres no surprise there. I simply CANT wait to see the new Jewel terminal at Singapore's Changi Airport!

Point of correction: Jewel is NOT a terminal. It is, or rather will be, a multi-use facility to serve/complement the terminals.

Jewel is designed to combine a marketplace and an urban park. “The component of the traditional mall is combined with the experience of nature, culture, education and recreation, aiming to provide an uplifting experience. By drawing both visitors and local residents alike, we aim to create a place where the people of Singapore interact with the people of the world,” said Moshe Safdie, the lead architect.
Jewel is directly connected to Terminal 1 and can be accessed from both Terminal 2 and 3 via air-conditioned pedestrian bridges.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

OA260

Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:06 pm

OlympicATH wrote:
xdlx wrote:

What is your problem with ATH exactly? Or ARN for that matter. And what do you mean the old DEL?

ATH might not be an architectural gem but that's not the point. It is super clean, very easy to navigate, services are great, there are very few delays even when it snows (unlike LHR for example) and there is a wide range of shopping and dining options. Not sure why it is so shocking to you. And it's #39, it's not like it's in the top 10.
Same goes for ARN.
And i've travelled through DEL a few times (various terminals) and I thought it was world class.

ATH is very functional and decent facilities. A good range of shops,restaurants and recently upgraded VIP lounges. As you say place is spotless. Well connected by bus and rail too. Maybe he was talking about Hellinikon ;)

As for Delhi he mentions old Delhi airport which I went to 20 years ago and it indeed was a hole. The place was filthy.

huaiwei

Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:16 pm

blooc350 wrote:
The top 4 airports are and has always been the top airports, so theres no surprise there...

Haneda actually did not figure in the top ten until 2013 when it was 9th. It only rose up the ranks when it opened an international terminal in 2010.

When I first used the terminal in 2012, I found the terminal very bare and basic with nothing extra to make it stand out. Since it was a late night flight into the terminal, shops were closed, no amenities were available, and we were fortunate to have pre-booked coaches to the city as that was the only feasible way to get out of the terminal to our hotel besides expensive taxis.

I used the terminal again in 2016, and while it was a day flight with most amenities available, it still felt pretty ordinary. I cannot judge if the late-night situation was any better since.

I am not sure if I am desensitised by the fact that I am from SIN, but I often suspect that our East Asian airports are rated so highly mainly because of the comparatively horrific experiences by its more vocal and proliferic travellers from back home in America and some parts of Europe?
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

Antarius

Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:39 pm

am not sure if I am desensitised by the fact that I am from SIN, but I often suspect that our East Asian airports are rated so highly mainly because of the comparatively horrific experiences by its more vocal and proliferic travellers from back home in America and some parts of Europe?

Another might be expectations - you hear and see so much about the US and then you land in LAX or MIA or JFK or ORD and are like wtf is this third world country.

Some of the major US world gateways are awful. And I'm not talking about lacking indoor gardens features- I'm talking about just being clean or not leaking through the roof when they rain (LaGuardia, I'm looking at you)
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHTYYZ DEN DOH BLR MAA TXL MEX

Socrates17

Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:10 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Socrates17 wrote:

I freely admit that! I'd rank LAX down around the airport for the City of Dis in Dante's Inferno!
You Can't Take the Sky from Me

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos