dolphinflyer

Re: SMF Roaring Out of the Gate in 2018

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:13 am

amadorE175 wrote:
dolphinflyer wrote:
smflyer wrote:
According to the Boston Aviation forum, B6 will be adding 10 days of SMF-BOS service during the xmas/new years time frame.

Correct! Additional SMF-BOS flights will operate Dec 20, 2018 through Jan 2, 2019.

Just to clarify, this is 10 days of flights during the winter when B6 typically suspends SMF-BOS, right? For what part of the year does the seasonal BOS flight typically run?

B6 has been operating SMF-BOS n/s from early May through Labor Day weekend the past couple of years.

williaminsd
Topic Author

Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:28 pm

Centre for Aviation (CAPA) analyzes 2018 growth at SMF and discusses international aspirations... https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... row-430673

smflyer

Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:54 pm

I find it interesting that the article expects SMF to hit 11.5mil passengers this year but the official airport press release from last month made it seem the airport was confident we would hit 12mil passengers this year. Maybe the article was written a while back and only recently posted.

dolphinflyer

Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:08 am

smflyer wrote:
I find it interesting that the article expects SMF to hit 11.5mil passengers this year but the official airport press release from last month made it seem the airport was confident we would hit 12mil passengers this year. Maybe the article was written a while back and only recently posted.

SMF handled 11.5 million passengers for the fiscal year ending June 2018. The airport is on-track to handle a projected 12 million passengers for CY2018.

dolphinflyer

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:53 pm

SMF handled 1,074,320 passengers during August 2018, marking a 9.8% increase yoy on a seat capacity increase of 4.4%. Southwest and United registered double-digit growth during the month. This is the fourth consecutive month of traffic in excess of one million passengers handled at SMF, and this trend is expected to continue through the end of the year.

smflyer

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:58 pm

Looks like sac county just hired a new director of the airport following John Wheat's retirement. She was previously CFO of Port of Portland (operator of PDX) and before that as finance director at SFO.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/ ... ector.html

smflyer

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:06 am

Anyone notice UA and AA are both running mainline this holiday season on the SMF-LAX route?
DL seems to have brought back the 717 on the SMF-LAX route recently as well.
UA no longer seem to use the CRJ200's anymore on the SMF-LAX route and uses the E175 which is great news, though they still use it on the SFO route.

amadorE175

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:58 pm

That's a surprise to me. I can't recall the last time UA or AA swapped out regional for mainline. In the gradual movement of towards larger aircraft, I'm wondering if AS will swap the the last couple of Q400s off of PDX as they get more E-jets. I wonder too whether AS will add more to SMF as part of their battle for California.

smflyer

Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:14 am

amadorE175 wrote:
That's a surprise to me. I can't recall the last time UA or AA swapped out regional for mainline. In the gradual movement of towards larger aircraft, I'm wondering if AS will swap the the last couple of Q400s off of PDX as they get more E-jets. I wonder too whether AS will add more to SMF as part of their battle for California.

I'm sure AS will swap out those Q400 for Ejets. They ran a mainline 73G last summer on the route, but didn't bring it back for this this summer. Maybe WN just dominates that route with their 5x daily 73G and AS can't compete.

I think once AS gets more of those E-Jets we'll see increased service intra-california on routes like SMF-SNA, SNA-BUR. I would've thought SMF-LAS, but the entrance of F9 on the route recently probably kills the business case as that route is mainly low-yield/leisure. SMF-LAX is probably too competitive and covered by AA as well as the SMF-PHX route. SMF-GEG was also a possibility, but WN jumped on that this year most likely killing this business case for that as well unless they can co-exist like they do on the SMF-BOI route, but I have a feeling AS isn't performing as well on that route ever since WN came on board. Maybe use those Q400s to PSP and/or SBA? who knows.

On a side note, B6 SMF-FLL would be a nice summer seasonal addition. Or maybe Spirit will beat them to the chase.
Hopefully fuel prices don't rise too much too soon and maybe 2019 we can get BNA, MCI, DTW, PHL, MIA, PSP, SBA

WN732

Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:46 am

smflyer wrote:
williaminsd wrote:
I typically am not one to get into these, "We deserve new service!" No you don't because blah, blah, blah..." types of discussions. I know my own home airport (SAN) has repeated proved the naysayers wrong over the past five years or so.

With regards to SMF-NYC, I wouldn't be surprised at all if either Delta or Alaska announce a morning departure to JFK/EWR before Summer of 2019. At present the market has about 350 seats each way 5x/week and about 200 seats the other two days. If I'm reading the data right, those flights are running LFs of above 80%. Both of these flights are red-eyes.

I think most of us can agree that red-eyes just don't work for everyone (certainly the case for me), and that there can be a healthy market for a morning flight from almost any decent-sized station to NYC. I suspect that is true for SMF, and as the airport continues to grow at a better than 10% pace, it makes sense that an airline with a presence in New York or Sacramento will make the effort to find out.

My own guess would be Delta, as it has a significant operation at JFK. But with Alaska seeking to strengthen its California market share, develop an overall strategy post VX, and flights to JFK something Southwest can't offer, it could pull the trigger first.

I know many scoffed when Alaska went up against the intra-Califonia monster called Southwest in 2017 with SAN-SMF (among others). Seems to be working out pretty well for them so far. I take that flight 2-3/x a month. Purely anecdotal of course, but the plane is always full, even up front.

As far as Detroit, I think Delta tried that in 2010. This year SMF will serve over 12,000,000, a 39% increase from 2010. That 39% increase represents over 3.3 million more passengers through the gates at SMF than in 2010. That growth total alone is more that the total, annual passenger counts for many airports represented in this thread.

And it's not just Sacramento obviously. Airports across America are experiencing record growth rates and counts as is almost every major airport in California. My home airport of San Diego is also enjoying double-digit growth. With this kind of nation-wide market, it seems that if you are going to error, you can error on the side of optimism if you have the capacity.

However, it's important to note that Detroit's traffic is way-off from 2010 and has remained relatively flat over the last couple of years. So if there's a problem here, it may be found at the eastern terminus of this trip, not Sacramento.

Nothing is a sure thing, and no market "deserves" service to anywhere, but Central Valley passengers have reason to be optimistic. I think that optimism will be rewarded with new SMF-NYC/DTW service announced by Q2/Q3 2019...

I'd have to agree with you in the case that AS strategy going forward will be growing at their focus cities in CA. I believe the problem AS has right now is not having enough regionals to be able to grow in the intra-CA market out of SMF. The market does seem primed for AS to start service to SNA, ONT, PSP, BUR but can't justify putting in mainline on those route since they have that regionals shortage. I would expect AS to stay out of the SMF-LAX/LAS market due to heavy competition/low yields and defer LAX to code share with AA.

I can only see AS starting service to JFK only if they decide to increase their presence there, but i doubt that and would say DL is more likely to start service there.

If AS ends up mis-managing their CA war with WN, I can definitely see B6 coming in buying out AS to have a true coast-coast airline.

Why would they increase their regional fleet just to throw these planes on routes where WN would dump $59 or less fares on all of those markets. AS would never be able to compete due to the high cost of regional jets. The only one that would not be affected would be PSP, and that's not really worth more than it has. WN could ride that fare war train a lot further than AS could.

smflyer

Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:40 pm

WN732 wrote:
smflyer wrote:
williaminsd wrote:
I typically am not one to get into these, "We deserve new service!" No you don't because blah, blah, blah..." types of discussions. I know my own home airport (SAN) has repeated proved the naysayers wrong over the past five years or so.

With regards to SMF-NYC, I wouldn't be surprised at all if either Delta or Alaska announce a morning departure to JFK/EWR before Summer of 2019. At present the market has about 350 seats each way 5x/week and about 200 seats the other two days. If I'm reading the data right, those flights are running LFs of above 80%. Both of these flights are red-eyes.

I think most of us can agree that red-eyes just don't work for everyone (certainly the case for me), and that there can be a healthy market for a morning flight from almost any decent-sized station to NYC. I suspect that is true for SMF, and as the airport continues to grow at a better than 10% pace, it makes sense that an airline with a presence in New York or Sacramento will make the effort to find out.

My own guess would be Delta, as it has a significant operation at JFK. But with Alaska seeking to strengthen its California market share, develop an overall strategy post VX, and flights to JFK something Southwest can't offer, it could pull the trigger first.

I know many scoffed when Alaska went up against the intra-Califonia monster called Southwest in 2017 with SAN-SMF (among others). Seems to be working out pretty well for them so far. I take that flight 2-3/x a month. Purely anecdotal of course, but the plane is always full, even up front.

As far as Detroit, I think Delta tried that in 2010. This year SMF will serve over 12,000,000, a 39% increase from 2010. That 39% increase represents over 3.3 million more passengers through the gates at SMF than in 2010. That growth total alone is more that the total, annual passenger counts for many airports represented in this thread.

And it's not just Sacramento obviously. Airports across America are experiencing record growth rates and counts as is almost every major airport in California. My home airport of San Diego is also enjoying double-digit growth. With this kind of nation-wide market, it seems that if you are going to error, you can error on the side of optimism if you have the capacity.

However, it's important to note that Detroit's traffic is way-off from 2010 and has remained relatively flat over the last couple of years. So if there's a problem here, it may be found at the eastern terminus of this trip, not Sacramento.

Nothing is a sure thing, and no market "deserves" service to anywhere, but Central Valley passengers have reason to be optimistic. I think that optimism will be rewarded with new SMF-NYC/DTW service announced by Q2/Q3 2019...

I'd have to agree with you in the case that AS strategy going forward will be growing at their focus cities in CA. I believe the problem AS has right now is not having enough regionals to be able to grow in the intra-CA market out of SMF. The market does seem primed for AS to start service to SNA, ONT, PSP, BUR but can't justify putting in mainline on those route since they have that regionals shortage. I would expect AS to stay out of the SMF-LAX/LAS market due to heavy competition/low yields and defer LAX to code share with AA.

I can only see AS starting service to JFK only if they decide to increase their presence there, but i doubt that and would say DL is more likely to start service there.

If AS ends up mis-managing their CA war with WN, I can definitely see B6 coming in buying out AS to have a true coast-coast airline.

Why would they increase their regional fleet just to throw these planes on routes where WN would dump $59 or less fares on all of those markets. AS would never be able to compete due to the high cost of regional jets. The only one that would not be affected would be PSP, and that's not really worth more than it has. WN could ride that fare war train a lot further than AS could.

WN has 7 flights daily SMF-SNA operating as a monopoly route. You really think WN would dump fares on the route just to get rid of AS? Yeah im sure WN can chase AS out of the market by dumping fares, but WN playing that game will lose out on the potential revenue during the "war". It makes a better business case to let AS eat up a small segment of the market share where WN doesn't have to lower their fares significantly as they have a heavy ff base in both cities. With passenger counts growing in both cities, both airlines can coexist on the route. Just look at SMF-SAN and how AS does just fine on the route.

PlanesNTrains

Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:03 pm

AS SMF-SBA/PSP/BFL (the latter continuing to SAN) would be great.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

WN732

Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:15 pm

smflyer wrote:
WN732 wrote:
smflyer wrote:

WN has 7 flights daily SMF-SNA operating as a monopoly route. You really think WN would dump fares on the route just to get rid of AS? Yeah im sure WN can chase AS out of the market by dumping fares, but WN playing that game will lose out on the potential revenue during the "war". It makes a better business case to let AS eat up a small segment of the market share where WN doesn't have to lower their fares significantly as they have a heavy ff base in both cities. With passenger counts growing in both cities, both airlines can coexist on the route. Just look at SMF-SAN and how AS does just fine on the route.

That's exactly what happens in a fare war. A fight to see who could handle the losses the longest. Why do you think that AS or anyone else hasn't done this yet.

dolphinflyer

Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:53 pm

September 2018 marks the fifth consecutive month in which SMF recorded in excess of one million + passengers handled in a single month. Traffic was up 7.2% yoy on a seat capacity increase of 5.6% yoy. WN, UA and Y4 registered double-digit yoy traffic increases for during Sept.

smflyer

Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:00 pm

dolphinflyer wrote:
September 2018 marks the fifth consecutive month in which SMF recorded in excess of one million + passengers handled in a single month. Traffic was up 7.2% yoy on a seat capacity increase of 5.6% yoy. WN, UA and Y4 registered double-digit yoy traffic increases for during Sept.

Where do you find this information?

And congrats to SMF for attaining over 1mil passengers in September which is historically the worst performing month at SMF in the back half of the year.

smflyer

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:40 am

Looks like both WN and AS are increasing frequencies to the SMF-SAN according to the OAG changes forums.
WN SAN-SMF JAN 11>12[11]
AS SAN-SMF APR 3>4[3] (new frequency will be a mainline 739)

Wingtips56

Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:48 am

I thought this was interesting too:
Y4 BJX-SMF APR 0>0.3[0] MAY 0>0.3[0] JUN 0>0.3[0] JUL 0>0.3[0]

Have they flown to León before? I have a vague memory of MX flying it briefly, as a round-robin with another city, perhaps MLM.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

amadorE175

Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:32 am

This was from last week but AA is dropping ORD. AA originally announced the flight in January 2016.

AA ORD-SMF APR 1.0>0[0.7]

In looking for the original press release I found another announcing a SMF-DTW on DL back in 2010. I didn't realize we previously had service to DTW. Anyone know when that ended?

smflyer wrote:

That's a pretty big jump. Not just an additional frequency but going straight to the 739. I'd still go for the EMJ flights to avoid middle seats but more options are good.

SANFan

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:04 am

smflyer wrote:
Looks like both WN and AS are increasing frequencies to the SMF-SAN according to the OAG changes forums.
WN SAN-SMF JAN 11>12[11]

I didn't even bother to bring this up on the OAG thread - and starting an argument -- but WN is actually going up to 13 nonstop r/t between SMF and SAN starting in January, the most ever in the market!

Gee, do you think WN learned about AAG's plans beforehand? WN added the 13th r/t last week, or before, and AS 'announced' there additional frequency today! (Of course I suppose it could be the other way around and AS added a r/t after seeing that WN increased their capacity!)

In any case, no matter what the order of adds, it's nice to see more flights in the market from BOTH carriers!

bb

smflyer

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:11 am

amadorE175 wrote:
This was from last week but AA is dropping ORD. AA originally announced the flight in January 2016.

In looking for the original press release I found another announcing a SMF-DTW on DL back in 2010. I didn't realize we previously had service to DTW. Anyone know when that ended?

smflyer wrote:

That's a pretty big jump. Not just an additional frequency but going straight to the 739. I'd still go for the EMJ flights to avoid middle seats but more options are good.

Yeah there were reports AA wasn't performing on that route that well and with UA adding a 3rd daily frequency on the route recently, I guess that pushed AA out of the route. Do you know for sure if AA is cancelling the SMF-ORD route for good, or are they just making it seasonal? SMF does have some pretty low traffic Jan-April

Yes, DL did have DTW service in the past, but if I remember correctly it was a red-eye which may be why it was cancelled due to lack of demand. SMF has grown significantly since they pulled the route and they've added MSP frequencies so I feel like its only a matter of time before DTW is back.

smflyer

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:15 am

Wingtips56 wrote:
I thought this was interesting too:
Y4 BJX-SMF APR 0>0.3[0] MAY 0>0.3[0] JUN 0>0.3[0] JUL 0>0.3[0]

Have they flown to León before? I have a vague memory of MX flying it briefly, as a round-robin with another city, perhaps MLM.

Yes, Volaris is starting up the route again next month. Previous SMF flights to Mexico included Mexico City and Morelia seasonally. But it seems like the US-Mexico traffic has significantly declined across the board in the last year so I can see why those flights aren't coming back for the time being.

dolphinflyer

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:57 am

amadorE175 wrote:

smflyer wrote:

Not true - AA is not dropping SMF-ORD. They are delaying the return of the seasonal flight by one month to May instead of April.

amadorE175

Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:31 pm

dolphinflyer wrote:
Not true - AA is not dropping SMF-ORD. They are delaying the return of the seasonal flight by one month to May instead of April.

Thanks for the correction. It's certainly better than them dropping it. I thought the flight was still daily year around.

Yflyer

Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:42 pm

amadorE175 wrote:
dolphinflyer wrote:

Thanks for the correction. It's certainly better than them dropping it. I thought the flight was still daily year around.

Well that explains why AA was only offering me 2 stop itineraries when I was searching for flights from SMF to LSE to visit family this Christmas. I was happy when they announced the route as it would give me an alternative to DL on those trips (not that I don't like DL, but it's always nice to have some competition). I too had thought that flight was still daily year round.

DesertAir

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:32 pm

It looks like Frontier is running a daily evening flight to Las Vegas with an evening return.

DesertAir

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:33 pm

When in SMF last weekend I noticed that Frontier is running a daily evening flight to Las Vegas.

DesertAir

Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:57 pm

I want to update my recent post regarding Frontier Airlines: Las Vegas: 2 x a week
Denver 6 x a week
DFW on Wednesday Nov. 21

smflyer

Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:51 pm

DesertAir wrote:
I want to update my recent post regarding Frontier Airlines: Las Vegas: 2 x a week
Denver 6 x a week
DFW on Wednesday Nov. 21

I believe F9 has 3x/wk to LAS on Su, Tu, Th
4x/wk to DEN Mo, We, Fr, Sa
I don't think they fly to DFW unless that's something they've recently announced?

jplatts

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:20 pm

smflyer wrote:
DesertAir wrote:
Denver 6 x a week
DFW on Wednesday Nov. 21

I believe F9 has 3x/wk to LAS on Su, Tu, Th
4x/wk to DEN Mo, We, Fr, Sa
I don't think they fly to DFW unless that's something they've recently announced?

I do not see any F9 DFW-SMF nonstops listed in the F9 schedule on November 21st (in either direction) according to http://www.flyfrontier.com, and the only options for DFW-SMF and SMF-DFW offered on F9 on 11/21 involve a connection at DEN.

DesertAir

Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:59 pm

You are all correct regarding the DFW flight.

SgtBarone

Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:55 pm

Delta just announced daily, year-round DTW-SMF beginning June 17, 2019 on a 738:

https://news.delta.com/delta-further-ex ... sacramento
AGP ATL BCN BNA BOS CLE CLT DCA DEN FLG FLL FRA IAD IAH JAX LAX LGB MAD MCI MDW MKE MUC PHX RDU RSW SEA SJU SLC SNA TPA

amadorE175

Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:13 pm

SgtBarone wrote:
Delta just announced daily, year-round DTW-SMF beginning June 17, 2019 on a 738:

Wow, didn't expect this to come so soon after our recent discussion of the route. It's a redye just like the 2010 flight but I hope this one will stick around.

smflyer

Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:28 pm

amadorE175 wrote:
SgtBarone wrote:

Wow, didn't expect this to come so soon after our recent discussion of the route. It's a redye just like the 2010 flight but I hope this one will stick around.

I can see this route being successful now that traffic at the airport has increased nearly 40% since 2013 when the flight was dropped. In addition, according the airport's monthly reports, DL has been incrementally adding capacity at SMF at a steady rate over the last few years so this makes a lot of sense.

UA has kind of done the same thing as DL and has been increasing capacity as of late. AA on the other hand has kind of retracted slightly, but maintains their position as the largest legacy operator at SMF.

klm617

Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:55 pm

smflyer wrote:
amadorE175 wrote:
SgtBarone wrote:

I can see this route being successful now that traffic at the airport has increased nearly 40% since 2013 when the flight was dropped. In addition, according the airport's monthly reports, DL has been incrementally adding capacity at SMF at a steady rate over the last few years so this makes a lot of sense.

UA has kind of done the same thing as DL and has been increasing capacity as of late. AA on the other hand has kind of retracted slightly, but maintains their position as the largest legacy operator at SMF.

Keep in mind when traveling to and from SMF that DTW is the easiest hub to navigate if you have to make a connection to get to and from you destination. DTW is stress free and hassle free so when flying out of SMF book Delta and connect at DTW
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

smflyer

Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:07 pm

klm617 wrote:
smflyer wrote:
amadorE175 wrote:

Keep in mind when traveling to and from SMF that DTW is the easiest hub to navigate if you have to make a connection to get to and from you destination. DTW is stress free and hassle free so when flying out of SMF book Delta and connect at DTW

I agree, DTW is a nice airport to connect through. Given multiple connecting airports at similar prices, DTW should be high on anyones list. The problem with this route is that it is a red eye so that may not work well with some people's schedules/preferences. The DTW-SMF direction is in the evening and I can see more demand on that side than the SMF-DTW. For instance if I was traveling to SMF-LGA then I would probably go with an AM flight out of SMF and connect in SLC, MSP, or ATL and the return trip use DTW as the connection point. UA realizes people have time preferences like this and use their scheduling to swap aircraft at the non-hub airport. For instance the evening EWR-SMF flight will be a 739 but the red eye back to EWR will be on an A319. The A319 came in from DEN and the 739 will overnight at SMF to go DEN the next morning which has higher demand in the morning.

smflyer

Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:59 pm

Now if only AA would start service to PHL or MIA.

smflyer

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:23 pm

New from the OAG changes thread:
UA LAX-SMF APR 4>3[4] MAY 4>3[4] JUN 4>3[4] JUL 4>3[4] AUG 4>3[4]

I'm assuming UA is simply up gauging the aircraft and reducing frequency rather than cutting service since they recently started using mainline 737/320 on the route.

smflyer

Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:06 pm

Looks like UA will be adding their 3rd daily seasonal service to ORD and IAH earlier next year:
UA IAH-SMF APR 2>3[2.0]
UA IAH-SMF APR 2>3[2.0]

amadorE175

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:41 am

So that makes, what, 4 daily SMF-ORD next summer if including AA's flight?

I'm curious to see how the market evolves here as 1) the economy diversifies and 2) more and more people move East from the Bay. The later is already bringing comparatively wealthier people into the area.

Following up on DL's recent addition, DL seems to treat SJC and SMF similarly with respect to schedule and destinations so perhaps a JFK flight is in the wings at some point since SJC-JFK started this past spring and DTW is starting back up. I also wonder if LAS is on DL's radar. They have 3x daily from SJC, SNA, and SAN to LAS so it'd be part of their efforts to connect non-hub CA major airports to LAS.

smflyer

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:05 am

amadorE175 wrote:

I'm curious to see how the market evolves here as 1) the economy diversifies and 2) more and more people move East from the Bay. The later is already bringing comparatively wealthier people into the area.

Following up on DL's recent addition, DL seems to treat SJC and SMF similarly with respect to schedule and destinations so perhaps a JFK flight is in the wings at some point since SJC-JFK started this past spring and DTW is starting back up. I also wonder if LAS is on DL's radar. They have 3x daily from SJC, SNA, and SAN to LAS so it'd be part of their efforts to connect non-hub CA major airports to LAS.

UA had the 3rd daily ORD service on weekdays this past summer (redeye time slot), so it looks like they are bringing the seasonal flight back online a bit earlier in the year, hence the jump in capacity for that month. So yes, 4x daily service to ORD with AA included, though AA is bringing their seasonal ORD service a little later into the season next year so this might just be UA seeing an opportunity here since they are the stronger carrier on the route.

The airport has been trying to get a daytime JFK flight for a while now since both flights to NYC area are redeye. So far, it seems the yield is just not there yet for DL to make a day time flight a viable option. But with the addition of the A220, maybe DL could reconsider, but then again its all about the yield. If DL can fill an A320 with 80% LF out of SFO and have better yield than 95% LF out of SMF, there's no reason they would "waste" an aircraft on this route.

in other news, WN has been quiet about Hawaii...

bluefltspecial

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:29 am

smflyer wrote:

I've taken US before on SMF-PHL, so maybe they will bring it back, the flight was full every day I took it that summer, maybe 10 times in total, both ways
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

tphuang

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:31 pm

smflyer wrote:
amadorE175 wrote:

UA had the 3rd daily ORD service on weekdays this past summer (redeye time slot), so it looks like they are bringing the seasonal flight back online a bit earlier in the year, hence the jump in capacity for that month. So yes, 4x daily service to ORD with AA included, though AA is bringing their seasonal ORD service a little later into the season next year so this might just be UA seeing an opportunity here since they are the stronger carrier on the route.

The airport has been trying to get a daytime JFK flight for a while now since both flights to NYC area are redeye. So far, it seems the yield is just not there yet for DL to make a day time flight a viable option. But with the addition of the A220, maybe DL could reconsider, but then again its all about the yield. If DL can fill an A320 with 80% LF out of SFO and have better yield than 95% LF out of SMF, there's no reason they would "waste" an aircraft on this route.

in other news, WN has been quiet about Hawaii...

I would not be surprised if B6 adds a daytime flight to JFK (assuming they can find a slot somewhere).

Yflyer

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:11 pm

smflyer wrote:
DL has been incrementally adding capacity at SMF at a steady rate over the last few years

The last time I flew on DL out of SMF, out of habit I turned right after I got through security and walked towards gates A1 and A3, because that's where I was accustomed to DL's gates being. When I couldn't find the gate for my flight over there, I actually looked at the monitor and realized they had expanded and had gates over on the other side of the food court as well, and the gate for my flight was actually over there.

tphuang wrote:
I would not be surprised if B6 adds a daytime flight to JFK (assuming they can find a slot somewhere).

I hope so. When UA added the EWR flight I was disappointed that it was a red eye with a schedule similar to the B6 flight. I would really like to see a daytime flight either on B6 to JFK or UA to EWR. And not just because I'd prefer not to have to sleep on the plane when I go to New York, but it would open up a lot more connecting opportunities to Europe.

smflyer

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:45 pm

bluefltspecial wrote:
smflyer wrote:

I've taken US before on SMF-PHL, so maybe they will bring it back, the flight was full every day I took it that summer, maybe 10 times in total, both ways

Yeah I really wish they would bring that flight back, but from what I know they cancelled that flight and added the ORD flight. From what I've heard, that route isn't doing so hot for AA so hopefully they add the PHL route back especially since they seem to want to grow their international connection presence there.

smflyer

Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:54 pm

Hey DophinFlyer, do you have an update for us on the October traffic? Are we still continuing the trend of 1mil+ passengers per month and are we still on track to hit the 12 million passenger mark by year end?

dolphinflyer

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:38 am

smflyer wrote:
Hey DophinFlyer, do you have an update for us on the October traffic? Are we still continuing the trend of 1mil+ passengers per month and are we still on track to hit the 12 million passenger mark by year end?

Another million pax month for SMF. 1.073 million, up 8.5% yoy on 6.1% seat capacity increase for the month. This marks the 6th consecutive 1 million pax + traffic month for SMF. The roll continues...

smflyer

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:28 pm

Thank you dolphin flyer for the update! Looks like we're on track for that 12mil mark for the year.

New OAG change: UA EWR-SMF APR 1.0>0.7[0.6]
Looks like a change from 4x to 5x weekly service to EWR in April?

williaminsd
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:11 am

As noted on another thread, California Pacific Airlines starts non-stop service from Carlsbad (north San Diego County) to SMF March 1, 2019.

https://www.thecoastnews.com/new-routes ... by-cp-air/

smflyer

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:22 am

hopefully theyre still in business by March of next year! I read on that forum the load factors are atrocious right now.

smflyer

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:55 pm

Just came across this on a thread in Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Sacramento/com ... _to_china/

Looks like someone had edited the SMF wiki page to show that China Southern is to start service to Guangzhou but was then later removed. According to the threat the Guangzhou airport wiki had also been edited to show service to SMF but was then later removed. Though I highly doubt this was a legit entry into wiki, but what is the actual probable chance that SMF could see service to Asia anytime soon? I would expect some sort of LCC carrier to have service to Europe before Asia, but there is a sizable Asian population in the Sacramento region so who knows.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos