EA CO AS
Topic Author

AS to partner with Aer Lingus, feed SEADUB service

Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:44 am

Well, since the Seattle Times already got this out there...

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... er-lingus/

Irish airline Aer Lingus begins flying between Seattle and Dublin in May, opening a new gateway to Europe for the Pacific Northwest.

In an interview, Chief Executive Stephen Kavanagh said Aer Lingus will partner with Alaska Airlines to serve business and tourist travel between here and Ireland.

“We have strong demand at both ends of the route,” Kavanagh said.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

SEAxSANxBOS

Re: AS to partner with Aer Lingus, feed SEADUB service

Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:32 am

Interesting but not surprising considering the BA AS angle. Pre clearing customs will also be an advantage to. Wonder just how competitive this rout will be compared to LHR/LGW or even AMS, CDG, or FRA.
Does not reflect the views of Delta Air Lines

Favorite Airports: SEA, SAN, BOS, MSP, IND, CVG

wedgetail737

Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:59 am

SEAxSANxBOS wrote:
Interesting but not surprising considering the BA AS angle. Pre clearing customs will also be an advantage to. Wonder just how competitive this rout will be compared to LHR/LGW or even AMS, CDG, or FRA.

I agree that it's not too surprising. I was hoping for this partnership. With the start of AF to CDG today, it's too bad AS no longer has a partnership with AF. But I guess that would have conflicted with the AF/DL partnership. AS already has a codeshare agreement with Condor to FRA.

n7371f

Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:02 am

Good for AS. They'll need the extra Europe feed with KLM and Air France leaving them with the DL partnership.

NameOmitted

Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:54 am

If AS decides that being alliance-agnostic is no longer viable, do they have enough to offer OneWorld to become a member?

PlanesNTrains

Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:56 am

n7371f wrote:
Good for AS. They'll need the extra Europe feed with KLM and Air France leaving them with the DL partnership.

Do you happen to know the numbers interlined between AS and AF/KL?
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

calt03

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:01 am

NameOmitted wrote:
If AS decides that being alliance-agnostic is no longer viable, do they have enough to offer OneWorld to become a member?

AA could move to block entry?

Unless AA and IAG both decide to have equity shares.

chrisair

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:16 am

Wonder how long it’ll be before the award chart is published?

wedgetail737

Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:56 pm

calt03 wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:

Does AS have any desire to be with OneWorld?

NameOmitted

Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:37 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
calt03 wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:

Does AS have any desire to be with OneWorld?

None that I know of, and I am absolutely in no position to know. Traditionally AS has eschewed such tie-ups that would restrict who else they could work with. I don't think it likely they would change that unless they were compelled to do so by their spat with Delta going very badly (which it is currently not doing). Air group does seem to like its independance.

I am mostly curious as to what their options actually are, and if they would bring enougfh to the table for one of the major alliances to be interested in THEM, kind of as a way of turning the table on the company line that Alaska is independant by choice. As an Alaskan who is very much bound by the parner choices of the airline that is my only reasonable choice, I have benefitted in the past from their wide-open partnerships, but everything does change.

davescj

Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:51 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
Traditionally AS has eschewed such tie-ups that would restrict who else they could work with. I don't think it likely they would change that unless they were compelled to do so by their spat with Delta going very badly (which it is currently not doing). Air group does seem to like its independance.

Historically, AS did have lots of codeshares (I remember them with AA, UA, and DL). This was a good move since the bulk of their business was getting customers in and out of Alaska with a few west coast connections, then more recently, some transcon. The others all have service to Alaska, but only the larger cities from their own hubs, which made total sense. Code shares allowed more options for more people to get to more places (esp once you left Alaska and wanted to go to Orlando, or Cancun, or whatever).

Now AS has started some serious moves into the lower 48 and Hawaii. The merger with Virgin America is a case in point. They pick up all those customers and routes instantly. This brings the AS brand into more cities and more routes of their own.

Looking AS's 'earning partners' for frequent fliers, you will find both OW and ST airlines. Examples include BA, Finnair, and CX for OW; KE, KM, belong to ST, and SQ is part of *A. The partnership with AM ended. I suspect that AS receives and gives traffic to all these carriers. AS can feed flights to Europe, Asia, etc. Interestingly, Aer Lingus is not on the 'earning points' page.

I was surprised at how close DL was to AS then (seemingly) abruptly ended the relationship. I know DL has quite the reputation, but I always did wonder what caused the breakup. They seemed to have good route connections, extended benefits to one another's clubs (I did get to go to the AS Board Room that way), upgraded each other's elites, etc. Was this breakup all due to DL building SEA into a hub? I would think it could have ended up helping both. How much traffic is DL going to send up to Alaska?
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

SEAxSANxBOS

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:49 pm

davescj wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:
Traditionally AS has eschewed such tie-ups that would restrict who else they could work with. I don't think it likely they would change that unless they were compelled to do so by their spat with Delta going very badly (which it is currently not doing). Air group does seem to like its independance.

Historically, AS did have lots of codeshares (I remember them with AA, UA, and DL). This was a good move since the bulk of their business was getting customers in and out of Alaska with a few west coast connections, then more recently, some transcon. The others all have service to Alaska, but only the larger cities from their own hubs, which made total sense. Code shares allowed more options for more people to get to more places (esp once you left Alaska and wanted to go to Orlando, or Cancun, or whatever).

Now AS has started some serious moves into the lower 48 and Hawaii. The merger with Virgin America is a case in point. They pick up all those customers and routes instantly. This brings the AS brand into more cities and more routes of their own.

Looking AS's 'earning partners' for frequent fliers, you will find both OW and ST airlines. Examples include BA, Finnair, and CX for OW; KE, KM, belong to ST, and SQ is part of *A. The partnership with AM ended. I suspect that AS receives and gives traffic to all these carriers. AS can feed flights to Europe, Asia, etc. Interestingly, Aer Lingus is not on the 'earning points' page.

I was surprised at how close DL was to AS then (seemingly) abruptly ended the relationship. I know DL has quite the reputation, but I always did wonder what caused the breakup. They seemed to have good route connections, extended benefits to one another's clubs (I did get to go to the AS Board Room that way), upgraded each other's elites, etc. Was this breakup all due to DL building SEA into a hub? I would think it could have ended up helping both. How much traffic is DL going to send up to Alaska?

Short answer. Yes from a competitive point a view it doesn't make sense to have two operations competing on many routs offer miles gaining opportunities and FF privaliges. There are still ticketing and baggage agreements but no FF gaining potential.
Does not reflect the views of Delta Air Lines

Favorite Airports: SEA, SAN, BOS, MSP, IND, CVG

rwsea

Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:09 pm

Glad to see this come to fruition, and not a surprise at all. AS is actually quite weak with its European partnerships, so this helps mitigate the loss of AF/DL/KL somewhat. Aer Lingus has a decent longhaul business product, although the lack of an intra-EU business class offering weakens it somewhat. Those of us based in PDX who look to redeem AS miles to Europe are still pretty bad off, as most routings require 2 connections or an inferior product like Icelandiar.

SonaSounds

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:10 pm

I wonder if AS will code share with Aer Lingus on any other USA routes

LAXffDUB

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:47 pm

I'm surprised it's taken this long just to get a SEA/DUB service established; with all the Puget Sound companies having their EU operations based in Dublin...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos