enilria

Re: Future U.S. Expansion Possibilities For Aer Lingus

Fri May 04, 2018 1:01 pm

klm617 wrote:
enilria wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:

Oh Lord. Most people commenting on a.nut constantly kept CLE out of any discussion of TATL service and would always mention CMH as more "viable". Now CLE has two carriers while CMH still has zero which makes the CLE situation "hideous". OK. Whatever.

I think all these airports have a reasonable chance of scoring EI. I'm sure subsidies will play a large role.

Two new carriers on the same route previously unserved is pretty much by definition hideous. Has nothing to do with it being CLE. DFW is likely very similar with 3 carriers! Unserved markets just don't ramp up fast enough to support that kind of growth. Even after they ramp up the question then turns to yield because a) very hard to fill all those new seats and b) each carrier will be trying to push the other out in order to make the market long term viable.

Thank you for always being the voice of reason on this forum always seeing things objectively saying things sometimes that people don't want to hear you have my greatest respect sir.

izbtmnhd

Sun May 20, 2018 3:16 pm

klm617 wrote:
enilria wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:

Oh Lord. Most people commenting on a.nut constantly kept CLE out of any discussion of TATL service and would always mention CMH as more "viable". Now CLE has two carriers while CMH still has zero which makes the CLE situation "hideous". OK. Whatever.

I think all these airports have a reasonable chance of scoring EI. I'm sure subsidies will play a large role.

Two new carriers on the same route previously unserved is pretty much by definition hideous. Has nothing to do with it being CLE. DFW is likely very similar with 3 carriers! Unserved markets just don't ramp up fast enough to support that kind of growth. Even after they ramp up the question then turns to yield because a) very hard to fill all those new seats and b) each carrier will be trying to push the other out in order to make the market long term viable.

Thank you for always being the voice of reason on this forum always seeing things objectively saying things sometimes that people don't want to hear you have my greatest respect sir.

I’m not being objective? We have zero data on the FI/WW flights but they’re already in trouble and EI should avoid CLE? That makes no sense to me.

I like Enrilia and appreciate what he does here but he’s wrong sometimes. He’s wrong about NK/F9 situation at CLE too though I’m not taking this thread off topic.

flydude380

Sun May 20, 2018 8:54 pm

What if EI started SAV!! :) the amount of people there claiming to be Irish descent is second to BOS! Lol

Nola

Sun May 20, 2018 9:02 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Louisiana has been pushing hard for DUB-MSY nonstop, before the end of 2019.

From one of the state's top economic development and tourism bureaus, after the launch of LHR-MSY and FRA-MSY:

Talk persists in the travel industry that the city will have non-stops to Dublin, Ireland before the end of the decade.

http://www.louisianaweekly.com/new-orle ... n-decades/

Why would IAG launch a flight that would compete with BA LHR? AMS or CDG would make more sense for the airport too....

msycajun

Sun May 20, 2018 9:31 pm

Nola wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

From one of the state's top economic development and tourism bureaus, after the launch of LHR-MSY and FRA-MSY:

Talk persists in the travel industry that the city will have non-stops to Dublin, Ireland before the end of the decade.

Why would IAG launch a flight that would compete with BA LHR? AMS or CDG would make more sense for the airport too....

Could be that DUB would run on days when LHR runs, so that IAG can offer a daily service. Or if BA finds that certain days need more lift, run DUB on those days - it helps that DUB has preclearance, so it wouldn't necessarily compete for international gate space.

Could also be that they would launch this to capture additional incentives and the price sensitive segment and keep out the likes of DY/FI/WW.

One thing to note is that officials have backed off pursuing CDG/AMS so that BA and DE have more time to mature and hopefully grow. I'd like to see CDG, but I get why they haven't made it a priority. Makes sense for them to focus on Latin America/Caribbean at the moment.

kavok

Sun May 20, 2018 10:56 pm

I still find it baffling that Aer Lingus doesn’t serve DTW. (And yes, I say that knowing the reputation DTW has on A.net).

While there are big unserved markets in western North America which can’t be served by a 321 from DUB, DTW just stands out as the lone huge market that remains unserved and could easily be done on a 321. It just seems weird looking at their route network, that’s all.

slcdeltarumd11

Sun May 20, 2018 11:04 pm

Las Vegas will be my guess. The Irish tourism to Vegas is booming along with the UK tourism. Many Irish on the London-Vegas flights who hop over from different cities in Ireland.

lavalampluva

Sun May 20, 2018 11:23 pm

kavok wrote:
I still find it baffling that Aer Lingus doesn’t serve DTW. (And yes, I say that knowing the reputation DTW has on A.net).

While there are big unserved markets in western North America which can’t be served by a 321 from DUB, DTW just stands out as the lone huge market that remains unserved and could easily be done on a 321. It just seems weird looking at their route network, that’s all.

How does it look weird? EI serves ORD and YYZ, which are located nearby. DTW doesn’t have much of a population which has an Irish ancestry, nor many corporations which have operations in Ireland.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

kavok

Sun May 20, 2018 11:45 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
kavok wrote:

How does it look weird? EI serves ORD and YYZ, which are located nearby. DTW doesn’t have much of a population which has an Irish ancestry, nor many corporations which have operations in Ireland.

DTW is basically the one and only top 15 large market in North America (within 321 range) that is not served, while airports like PVD are. That is why it is weird.

lavalampluva

Mon May 21, 2018 12:42 am

kavok wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
kavok wrote:

DTW is basically the one and only top 15 large market in North America (within 321 range) that is not served, while airports like PVD are. That is why it is weird.

PVD most likely gets overflow from BOS and NYC.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

FrmrKSEngr

Mon May 21, 2018 1:14 am

Brandon757 wrote:
Obviously Austin, they deserve every carrier!

An EI A330 would beat the tired old BA747. Did the BA flight last month. Miserable. 100% full and I had the skinny seat, 42b second row in the taper, 1 1/2 inches narrower than the seat in front. Add to that the lack of gaspers (apparently a BA specialty) and it was a miserable 9 hours.

I would love Austin.

Nola

Mon May 21, 2018 1:58 am

msycajun wrote:
Nola wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Could be that DUB would run on days when LHR runs, so that IAG can offer a daily service. Or if BA finds that certain days need more lift, run DUB on those days - it helps that DUB has preclearance, so it wouldn't necessarily compete for international gate space.

Could also be that they would launch this to capture additional incentives and the price sensitive segment and keep out the likes of DY/FI/WW.

One thing to note is that officials have backed off pursuing CDG/AMS so that BA and DE have more time to mature and hopefully grow. I'd like to see CDG, but I get why they haven't made it a priority. Makes sense for them to focus on Latin America/Caribbean at the moment.

that makes sense. I hadn't heard that NOAB had backed off of CDG/AMS. Hopefully, they will start looking at it again, although I understand the push for AM and points south (as well as Asia, although I doubt there is anywhere near enough demand for service to Asia).

LAX772LR

Mon May 21, 2018 3:10 am

Nola wrote:
I hadn't heard that NOAB had backed off of CDG/AMS. Hopefully, they will start looking at it again

IINM, it was the Convention and Visitors Bureau (now called "New Orleans & Company") that stated that.

I'd love to see MSY-CDG added, more than any other route, but do understand why they aren't currently/actively pursuing it.

Pretty sure the airport/board are more neutral though.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Galwayman

Mon May 21, 2018 10:39 am

WaywardMemphian wrote:
ruskistl wrote:
Does attendance at this thing vary by year? Disheartening to see KCI and MEM send representatives but not STL.

Do you want BA and Heathrow on a 787 or do you want Quasi-LCC Aer Lingus in a mostly single class 220 seat A321LR. There's a little business traffic but MEM would for the most part be leasure travelers from Westwrn Europe mostly for the music heritage aspect of Memphis and the Delta. It would complement BA's BNA and MSY service but fit the Memphis profile better.

I would figure that would be IAG's main focus, BA for the routes with a little more business and Aer Lingus for the nearly all leasure traveler.

I’d take the fantastic business class on EI rather the mediocre one on BA any day. And in economy anything is better than the dreadful 787. An easy win for EI

IrishTexan

Mon May 28, 2018 7:21 pm

Any predictions on when the "official announcement in early May" might actually happen or have I missed something?
Quote/source: Airports along with local government, business and tourism bodies are invited to submit information to assist in building the commercial and operational case to operate a new direct route by 6th April, 2018. Shortlisted airport meetings will take place at the end of April at Routes Europe, followed by an official announcement of 2019 destinations in early May (from https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/aer-ling ... k-pilling/ ).

klm617

Mon May 28, 2018 9:40 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
kavok wrote:

And what is your point. EI serves both JFK and IAD but still went into PHL not to mention serving BDL which is close to both BOS and JFK with no business ties to DUB. For what it's worth DUB is the next busiest market out od DTW not connected with nonstop service. The route for the most part is about leisure not business traffic or Delta would have been on it long ago.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

jfk777

Mon May 28, 2018 9:50 pm

Aer Lingus has come a long way in America since the days of 747 flying to JFK & BOS with the Shannon stopover since Dublin have a short runway. Ireland's economy has matured and survived a banking crisis. But its time Aer Lingus find the east, its sister airline Iberia now flies to Tokyo & PVG, so it would be great to see Aer Lingus fly to Tokyo, Hong Kong and Singapore. Its needs to advertise Dublin as a "Heathrow bypass".

master14225

Tue May 29, 2018 12:25 am

It would be great seeing El serving YVR, I know they recently started serving SEA but I feel YVR also has potential, it's similar to the situation with DTW with ORD and YYZ being nearby but YVR International traffic is increasing too just like SEA.

748iDEN

Tue May 29, 2018 3:52 am

I know this has been mentioned before but I really hope to see EI serving DEN sometime soon. I think having service to DUB from DEN would round out the TATL options from DEN nicely. Also it would give EI some presence in the rocky mountain region as I doubt they have interest or the demand in flying to SLC or PHX. However it would not surprise me if an Asian destination will happen before DEN.

LAX772LR

Tue May 29, 2018 4:10 am

jfk777 wrote:
Its needs to advertise Dublin as a "Heathrow bypass".

For who though? DUB is geographically about the worst place in Europe to serve as a hub to the far east: it's a backtrack for basically everywhere.

IrishTexan

Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:43 am

Interesting find. Video interview with WW covers several topics, but go to 4.56 in for comments specific to this forum topic. "Announcements in the coming months"!
https://blueswandaily.com/aer-lingus-re ... 019-debut/

axiom

Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:48 am

LAX772LR wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

For who though? DUB is geographically about the worst place in Europe to serve as a hub to the far east: it's a backtrack for basically everywhere.

Perfectly primed for UK regional connections to North America

shamrock350

Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:08 am

I doubt the route announcements were ever really set in stone for May, the aircraft don't arrive until Q2 2019 and probably won't commence transatlantic flights until late summer so to make anything public now is way too early. The recent trend with Aer Lingus is autumn announcements, it was October for PHL and November for SEA so I wouldn't expect anything new to be revealed just yet.

S0Y

Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:15 am

Little to no chance of Eastbound longhaul in the next few years. Plenty of more safer options TATL

LAX772LR

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:44 am

axiom wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

Please pay attention; the context was for hubbing to Asia.

No one's challenging the (obvious and proven) ability of DUB to serve as a gateway to N.Am.

kearnet

Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:40 am

So I was going make my suggestion with a bit of tongue-in-cheek until I really got thinking about it, and realized it might work for real.

How about PHX?

Someone on page 1 suggested MEX as there is a strong cultural friendship (for lack of a better term) between the two. While I agree flights to MEX itself might be tricky for EI, PHX being a an AA/One World hub that I think would have sufficient O/D to make it work, plus connections to serval south of the border destinations. Not to mention that you can boy have to look as far as our street names to see an Irish connection in Phoenix itself
C402 9K | B1900D US | ATR72 AA | DHC8 US | CRJ2 US | E175 UA | E190 B6 | D93 US | M88 US/AA | 732 US | 733 US/WN | 734 US | 73G WN | B738 FJ/QF | B752 US/AA | B762 DL | B772 UA | B77W EK | F28 US | F100 US | A319 US | A320 B6 | A332 FJ | A380 EK

axiom

Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:17 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
axiom wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

No one's challenging the (obvious and proven) ability of DUB to serve as a gateway to N.Am.

It would be helpful if you didn't delete the subject of the content prior to quoting it. :)

LAX772LR

Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:00 pm

axiom wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
axiom wrote:

It would be helpful if you didn't delete the subject of the content prior to quoting it. :)

Um, the topic *is* in that post... unless you believe N.America to be to the "far east" of Europe.

axiom

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:31 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
axiom wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Um, the topic *is* in that post... unless you believe N.America to be to the "far east" of Europe.

I misread your post not once, but twice. Sorry about that.

BA777300er

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:54 am

kearnet wrote
“PHX being a an AA/One World hub that I think would. Have sufficient O/D to make it work, plus’s connections to south of the border destinations”

I don’t think Phx will have O&D to work and for Mexicans to connect through phx they would need to get a visa so if EI were to try get connections from south of the border mex would make more sense but mex being a skyteam hub I don’t know how that would work out.

aemoreira1981

Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:05 am

I can think of three likely future destinations in the USA not already served by Aer Lingus:

1. DUB to DFW on the A330
2. Seasonally: ORD to SNN on the A321LR, CLT to SNN on the A321LR

In Chicago or Charlotte, however, would either cannibalize the B6 partnership, given that EI relies on B6 feed at JFK and uses a B6 gate?

master14225

Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:11 am

US routes? More like adding another Canadian route like DUB-YVR. If DUB-SEA can be successful, I cannot see why DUB-YVR wouldn't be successful too?

Freshside3

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:00 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
If STL can't get BA to LHR, EI to DUB would be the next best thing IMO.

I agree, whole-heartedly. Plus the fact that EI has a number of connections to other parts of Europe, which certainly will be useful for those in STL.

Freshside3

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:14 am

1. ORK-JFK(or EWR, BOS or IAD) The Norwegian Air Shuttle ORK-PVD is useless for most of the country. Yes, it is within driving distance for some in New England. But not really of any help to people in SFO, ORD, etc. A321 here, of course.

2. DUB-SAV. Kind of a left-field idea, but there are strong ties between SAV and Ireland. 2x/week on the A321.

3. DUB-AUS. BA's LHR trip has been quite a success, and capacity has increased due to it. Started as a 787, went to a 777, and now is a 747. The A330 should work fine on this route.

jfk777

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:40 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
I can think of three likely future destinations in the USA not already served by Aer Lingus:

In Chicago or Charlotte, however, would either cannibalize the B6 partnership, given that EI relies on B6 feed at JFK and uses a B6 gate?

Aer Lingus has an association with AA which is why it should fly to both DFW and CLT. Why make an issue of flying to CLT because EI uses the Jet Blue terminal at JFK why not make an issue if the Irish airline flying to LAX which it does ?

JetBlueCLT

Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:02 pm

jfk777 wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Aer Lingus has an association with AA which is why it should fly to both DFW and CLT. Why make an issue of flying to CLT because EI uses the Jet Blue terminal at JFK why not make an issue if the Irish airline flying to LAX which it does ?

Anything CLT related gets shot down for some moronic reason. Some people can’t seem to grasp how big Charlotte is. Most importantly, how fast the city is growing. I agree with you on them adding CLT and dfw. I think EI shoulf postion itself on how Iceland Air as in terms of adding US markets to feed there operation.
Pittsburgh Penguins, Steelers, Pirates and Charlotte Hornets Fan

usairways85

Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:10 pm

At this time:
1.) EI is not in OW
2.) EI is not in the AA/BA transatlantic JV
3.) As far as I can tell, AA/EI don't even code share
4.) IAG has not further developed DUB into a full fledged connecting hub that takes pressure off LHR and competes with KEF. Not to say EI has not developed the DUB hub prior to IAG.
5.) There is speculation that EI will join the AA/BA JV by 2019-2020. Even so, EI is pretty high on it's partnership with B6 that is believed to continue whenever EI joins the JV.

Skyblue39

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:37 pm

I hope for Dallas, Pittsburgh, Detroit and Halifax.

stl07

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:56 pm

Freshside3 wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

I agree, whole-heartedly. Plus the fact that EI has a number of connections to other parts of Europe, which certainly will be useful for those in STL.

Interestingly, STL has had BA in the bag for years along with other major European carriers, they just haven't been able to come up with the demanded incentive money. (WW was much lower)
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

OzarkD9S

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:02 pm

stl07 wrote:
Freshside3 wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

Interestingly, STL has had BA in the bag for years along with other major European carriers, they just haven't been able to come up with the demanded incentive money. (WW was much lower)

I'm not an STL vs MCI kind of person, airport or city. But I WAS kind of ticked that STL got WOW while MCI got Icelandair. IMO Icelandair would have been the better choice for STL but beggars and choosers and such. :cry:
TWA Hotel, Here I come. October, 2019 :airplane:

jfk777

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:15 pm

axiom wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

Its not always about the geography, a Manchester person flying to Hong Kong would have an easier connection in Dublin then at LHR. People have a mindset that if go east to Asia from regional UK airports you have to go to LHR , CDG, AMS or FRA. IAG would do itself a favor to turn Dublin "into Heathrow bypass" for more then North America, why not to Tokyo, Hong Kong or Johannesburg ?

People have to change their mindset to a new one, no one ever thought we would change planes in Dubai but then Emirates was created and the mindset changed because the price got cheaper and a better airline came along too.

spinotter

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:23 pm

axiom wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
axiom wrote:

I misread your post not once, but twice. Sorry about that.

LAX772LR was right as usual, but he could be gentler in his triumph.

eicvd

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:58 pm

usairways85 wrote:
At this time:
1.) EI is not in OW
2.) EI is not in the AA/BA transatlantic JV
3.) As far as I can tell, AA/EI don't even code share
4.) IAG has not further developed DUB into a full fledged connecting hub that takes pressure off LHR and competes with KEF. Not to say EI has not developed the DUB hub prior to IAG.
5.) There is speculation that EI will join the AA/BA JV by 2019-2020. Even so, EI is pretty high on it's partnership with B6 that is believed to continue whenever EI joins the JV.

On point 4, it’s impossible for IAG to further DUB as a hub due to infrastructure mainly lack of stands & preclearence gates.
COYBIB

nomorerjs

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:47 am

JetBlueCLT wrote:
jfk777 wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Anything CLT related gets shot down for some moronic reason. Some people can’t seem to grasp how big Charlotte is. Most importantly, how fast the city is growing. I agree with you on them adding CLT and dfw. I think EI shoulf postion itself on how Iceland Air as in terms of adding US markets to feed there operation.

B6 is so minor in ORD and CLT, it would have no impact.

If EI cooperates with AA, joins One World / gets ATI, then the following make sense:

DUB-DFW (seasonal, could be on AA)
SNN-PHL (seasonal, could be AA)
SNN-ORD (seaaonal, could be AA)

SNN-CLT, interesting option.

ORK-ORD/PHL could be interesting.

acentauri

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:50 am

nomorerjs wrote:
.......................If EI cooperates with AA, joins One World / gets ATI, then the following make sense:

DUB-DFW (seasonal, could be on AA)
SNN-PHL (seasonal, could be AA)
SNN-ORD (seaaonal, could be AA)

SNN-CLT, interesting option.

ORK-ORD/PHL could be interesting.

AA already serves PHL-SNN.

Avionik

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:46 am

You all are overthinking the question. EI is only interested in places that offer them cash subsidy. It's not about the business, but the short-term conservative gain for management. They'd fly to VCV if the county offered enough cash. http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article ... nue-target

IrishTexan

Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:05 am

Avionik wrote:
You all are overthinking the question. EI is only interested in places that offer them cash subsidy. It's not about the business, but the short-term conservative gain for management. They'd fly to VCV if the county offered enough cash. http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article ... nue-target

More likely the first Ireland/VCV flights will be when Ryanair launches service to Los Angeles!!

bhxdtw

Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:25 am

Quick question that I'm curious about. someone mentioned in a previous topic that it could be EI adding flights from a different city than DUB, simply because of issues with the DUB airport authority. Would that even be realistic ? I'm sure it could only be possible from perhaps SNN or maybe BFS.
Thought it was an interesting point. I know that EI once had a short haul base at BFS I believe, or LGW. I can't remember off the top of my head.

piedmontf284000

Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:55 am

Avionik wrote:

That is a very plush deal for Aer Lingus. Not only do they get to pocket 4.5 million, but they only have to run the flight three times a week for half the year to qualify for the cash. I agree, they will open up service ANYWHERE if it meant another deal like this.

Lufthansa

Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:45 am

They have to focus on connections Ireland... it's just too small of a market. But the rest of the UK and perhaps part of Scandinavia (aka... what KLM does... defecto carrier for both of those markets) and they may just stand a chance. So given that, some thoughts. How about looking at some seasonal destinations. CPT, CUN. etc. I know they won't wanna go too far south as that may cut into IB's Latin America business. LAX and LAS seem like obvious markets. But they'll but uk against Norwegian. Yields aren't gonna be great. Their biggest issue is going to be connections. BA just offer more. It kind of leaves them with the home market, plus overflow from smaller UK markets. It wouldn't be high yielding but if they wanted to get REALLY brave though, send a 332 down to AKL via LAX. If you consider the amount of ppl with UK and Irish decent you'd fill it, plus 5th freedom American traffic. That link might be better left to the Americans though.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos