LAXintl

Re: Rumor: New AA Route Announcement from LAX

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:58 pm

dcajet wrote:
Nitpick: AA will not be the first airline offering nonstop service between LAX and EZE. AR did. Back in 2000-2001, before the airline gave up on LAX, it flew the route nonstop with the A340.

Yeah and they forgot about the brief UA service back in 90s also.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

airzona11

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:03 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
airzona11 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
That's not true. Their A332s could fly the route with no problem.

Absolutely true. But that is a long route for an A332. Given they are a fair bit smaller than the 789 and in slim numbers only 11, I think it is not much of a stretch to see why the 789 is a better choice.

Um, did you even read what was written?

1) No, DL would not "have to pull a 777" as they have another type that can easily fly the route, beyond just the A350. What you wrote is a falsehood, no matter how (weakly) you attempt to spin it.

2) No, it is not "a long route for an A332"... it's more than 500mi shorter than the longest route DL has scheduled A332s on. I wouldn't be the second longest 332 route either. And that's just DL; other carriers have (and still do) fly them longer.

3) Who, other than you, made any statement about which aircraft would be "a better choice?"

Haha spin? Falsehood? It was merely a comment on an aviation forum. Fact is AA is flying it with the 789 (about the most efficient widebody out there) and DL isn't. I never said the A332 could not fly it. I simply implied it might be a long route for the smaller plane of which they do not have a lot of slack. Airlines are opening up lots of new routes with the new generation of 787/A350. You mentioned DL not jumping on the route (or was it a rhetorical statement?). Oops for responding with potential reasons of not having an appropriate aircraft available.

LAX772LR

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:09 pm

airzona11 wrote:
I never said the A332 could not fly it.

...but you did imply it by saying that they would "have to" (your words) use a 777 or A350.

A simple "I forgot that that they had A330s capable of flying it" would've sufficed you know. ;)
Last edited by LAX772LR on Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

wenders825

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:11 pm

why do people think AA will be unsuccessful on LAX-EZE, a route with a strong market and where AA is really strong on both ends. they're very successful on EZE, why would an LAX route (that's only 3x weekly!) not be the same?

oh wait, you guys just like to be negative about everything

dcajet

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:17 pm

LAXintl wrote:
dcajet wrote:
Nitpick: AA will not be the first airline offering nonstop service between LAX and EZE. AR did. Back in 2000-2001, before the airline gave up on LAX, it flew the route nonstop with the A340.

Yeah and they forgot about the brief UA service back in 90s also.

AFAIK, UA never flew on the LAX-EZE route, with or without stops. They did, however, try LAX-GRU in the early 90s, with the 747SP. Did not last more than a year.

Those were the days that VARIG (747s) and Aerolineas Argentinas (747s) ruled the US West Coast - Deep South America route. LAN Chile was a distant third with the 707s.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

dcajet

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:27 pm

deltal1011man wrote:
less stupid of an idea than LAX-EZE.

So the hundreds of daily travelers that today fly from EZE to LAX, or v.v., on the likes of CM, LA, AV, UA, AM, DL and AA and that are in need of a non stop are something to scoff at?

If anyone can make this route work it's AA - they literally own half the US-Argentina market.

flymco753

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:34 pm

I never thought LAX-EZE would happen before MCO-EZE...
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

LAXintl

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:15 pm

I find it interesting how much AA has backed out of Brazil.
Shows what even with improving economy AA must have been taking some financial hits on the flying, but now with open-skies ratified there is no pressure to sit on the authorities.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Overthecascades

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:20 pm

Admin- if some of us see this thread when it has grown to four pages how do we actually see the "announcement " itself without having to read ALL posts to find out? Thx

chepos

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:59 pm

flymco753 wrote:
I never thought LAX-EZE would happen before MCO-EZE...

I mean yields on MCO-EZE would be even worse than to LA, it would be mostly people visiting the mouse trap. They can fill the plane, but at what fare levels?
Fly the Flag!!!!

incitatus

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:42 pm

deltal1011man wrote:

Delta has a single flight to EZE and its pretty foolish to think LAX-EZE would even be considered before JFK and probably DTW/MCO (both of which would be slightly, only slightly, less stupid of an idea than LAX-EZE).(...)

Delta already tried JFK-EZE and it was a big flop. Now they are trying JFK-GIG seasonally - wrong timing. Given the security situation in Rio, investment in the city is down. DL probably filled out a lot of seats with GIG-JFK-MCO travelers - so really just an overflow from GIG-ATL making it sound like a big expansion. At some point I expect DL to make the rational decision to fly that plane where it has a shot at making money like a another couple of JFK-SLC flights.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

LVICS

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:12 pm

incitatus wrote:
deltal1011man wrote:
Delta already tried JFK-EZE and it was a big flop.

IIRC, the problem with that flight was that AA didn't want any competition in the route, so they decided to add a second daily flight, and that's what killed Delta's attempt to enter the route.

As far as I know, AR is doing well with their EZE-JFK. No idea about UA with EWR-EZE.

FSDan

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:55 pm

LVICS wrote:
incitatus wrote:
deltal1011man wrote:
Delta already tried JFK-EZE and it was a big flop.

IIRC, the problem with that flight was that AA didn't want any competition in the route, so they decided to add a second daily flight, and that's what killed Delta's attempt to enter the route.

As far as I know, AR is doing well with their EZE-JFK. No idea about UA with EWR-EZE.

UA upgauged EWR-EZE from 763 to 764 pretty quickly, so that would indicate it's probably doing well.

DL codeshares with AR on JFK-EZE, so there probably isn't too much urgency for them to operate this route again. Especially given the constraints in their long haul fleet.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

HNL

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:46 pm

Will the LAX-EZE-LAX flight be crewed with EZE or LAX based flight attendants?
HNL - There's no place like it!

phxsanslcpdx

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:50 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
LAX-EZE is long overdue. It's crazy that there are absolutely zero connection from West Coast to Buenos Aires (with the furthest west being DFW).

I don't think this flight is about adding connections nearly as much as serving O&D demand. From Arizona, Nevada, or the Pacific NW, DFW or IAH are more direct, so whatever gap there was is basically just California and Hawaii. SJC, SMF, and SFO all have shorter one-stop service through MEX and/or PTY. So that leaves just FAT, SAN, and HNL getting shorter (distance-wise) connections to EZE out of this. And all of these distances are close enough that scheduling will make a real difference... anyway, I don't think there was any significant pent-up demand for quicker one-stops from Hawaii/California to Argentina. But I wish AA luck!

thgsr08 wrote:
LAX-EZE is surreal. Lots of better and more profitable places to fly to and AA chooses EZE? What about DFW?

What about DFW? AA already serves DFW-LAX and DFW-EZE. And this press release announces 4 new/increased routes out of DFW. I think LAX-EZE is a bit of a gamble, and I hope it pays off for AA... but there's no reason I see for anyone at DFW to feel slighted by this announcement.

chepos

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:14 pm

HNL wrote:

LAX
Fly the Flag!!!!

dcajet

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:53 pm

chepos wrote:
HNL wrote:

LAX

Has that already been decided? I agree with you but those bid packets are a good 6 months away. I do however, think that MIA-COR will go the the EZE base. AA is expanding the EZE F/A base as we speak; the selection process for new hires began this week.

HNL

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:57 pm

chepos wrote:
HNL wrote:

LAX

You are right, I forgot the foreign bases in South America can only operate flights to MIA.

zakuivcustom

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:03 pm

phxsanslcpdx wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
LAX-EZE is long overdue. It's crazy that there are absolutely zero connection from West Coast to Buenos Aires (with the furthest west being DFW).

I don't think this flight is about adding connections nearly as much as serving O&D demand. From Arizona, Nevada, or the Pacific NW, DFW or IAH are more direct, so whatever gap there was is basically just California and Hawaii. SJC, SMF, and SFO all have shorter one-stop service through MEX and/or PTY. So that leaves just FAT, SAN, and HNL getting shorter (distance-wise) connections to EZE out of this. And all of these distances are close enough that scheduling will make a real difference... anyway, I don't think there was any significant pent-up demand for quicker one-stops from Hawaii/California to Argentina. But I wish AA luck!

And I don't disagree. East Asia connection is also somewhat there, although that can be done over in DFW also. I was thinking mostly Cal for West Coast (and maybe SEA or PDX) anyway.

On the other hand, it is definitely a hole in AA's LAX network anyway.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

gatibosgru

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:00 am

LAX-GRU must be doing well. LA-SoAmerica has so much potential.
@DadCelo

dcajet

Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:09 am

gatibosgru wrote:
LAX-GRU must be doing well. LA-SoAmerica has so much potential.

While it is holding up, you do realize AA is cutting one of the five weekly LAX-GRU. It's being trimmed to 4x w.

grbauc

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:13 am

HNL wrote:
grbauc wrote:
HNL wrote:
Remember AA has to fund some of the new Long Haul flying, and that will come at the expense of existing South America flying. LAX-GRU will reduce to 4x a week. MIA-GRU day flight drops.

There are two sides to every coin. AA does not like to talk about the dark side of the coin, just the shiny front side.

ah duh what airline or business does? Not an AA thing a business thing.

Oh I'm not surprised nor complaining, Just making sure people here don't forget these adds come at the expense of flying elsewhere.

I should known that not everyone is not just attacking there favorite airlines to gripe about. Sorry for the quick pounce. It is a valid point in most expansions what's been cut to fiance it.

HNL

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:22 am

grbauc wrote:
HNL wrote:
grbauc wrote:
I should known that not everyone is not just attacking there favorite airlines to gripe about. Sorry for the quick pounce. It is a valid point in most expansions what's been cut to fiance it.

No worries. Alls good. Thanks for coming back and checking in on this thread.

grbauc

Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:15 am

wenders825 wrote:
why do people think AA will be unsuccessful on LAX-EZE, a route with a strong market and where AA is really strong on both ends. they're very successful on EZE, why would an LAX route (that's only 3x weekly!) not be the same?

oh wait, you guys just like to be negative about everything

Pretty much nailed it. I don't mind people that are skeptical on a route, but the people that don't have the numbers that declare what will be profitable and what will be unprofitable has if god has spoken, are the ones that get me. Its OK to ask and wonder and discuss if DFW will be affected but to declare them money losers has if its fact. Maybe its a route that they have some contracts for? There are other unknown factors.

Kashmon

Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:58 am

it is just a prediction
AA has a history of handing over markets to competitors

Kashmon

Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:06 am

a bigger DL only occurred because of a withdrawing AA
and no AA does not have to be the biggest everywhere ( SFO for example is not needed)
but being dominant in the most important and premium city in America is important, especially when you used to be. One of the reasons Oneworld had/has a lot of loyalty is that they had HUBs at all the major financial centers, so even if they were the smallest alliance they never cared

JFK,LHR,HKG,NRT/HND but now they have lost JFK thanks to AA

millionsofmiles

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:45 am

Kashmon wrote:
and no AA does not have to be the biggest everywhere ( SFO for example is not needed)
but being dominant in the most important and premium city in America is important, especially when you used to be. One of the reasons Oneworld had/has a lot of loyalty is that they had HUBs at all the major financial centers, so even if they were the smallest alliance they never cared

Dominating JFK didn't save Pan Am or TWA. Meanwhile, Delta has lost buckets of money at JFK, and IIRC, only recently began squeaking a profit out of its operations there. I'd like to see AA dominate JFK...and that could happen one day under a variety of scenarios...but domination there is not necessarily the key to success.

chepos

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:08 pm

Kashmon wrote:

AA has not been dominant at JFK in years.
Fly the Flag!!!!

Kashmon

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:13 pm

chepos wrote:
Kashmon wrote:

AA has not been dominant at JFK in years.

exactly they gave it away

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos