Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N516jb
Topic Author

AA BDL-PHX in the future?

Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:38 am

Will AA ever look into a BDL-PHX flight? America West had it back in the early 2000's but US never picked up the route after the merger. I'm unsure of the pax loads on the flight years ago but I assume an a319 would be a great plane for this route today. Bradley is a fast growing airport with passenger traffic increasing the past few years and with AA already having a nonstop to LAX, I don't think it would be totally crazy to consider PHX.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title for clarity

wn676

Re: AA BDL-PHX

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:21 pm

N516jb wrote:
Will AA ever look into a BDL-PHX flight? America West had it back in the early 2000's but US never picked up the route after the merger. I'm unsure of the pax loads on the flight years ago but I assume an a319 would be a great plane for this route today. Bradley is a fast growing airport with passenger traffic increasing the past few years and with AA already having a nonstop to LAX, I don't think it would be totally crazy to consider PHX.

US continued this route post-merger. It was last flown in December 2008.

The fact that AA has an LAX nonstop probably hurts its chances, since that flight is already probably pulling the most lucrative connections from AA’s west coast network as well as the O&D from the L.A. area. If there is significant O&D on LAX-BDL and v.v., then there may be a case for them to flow connections over PHX. But I have no idea what those numbers look like.

jplatts

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:02 pm

There are some destinations that have nonstop service from PHX on WN but not on AA, including BUF, MDW, CVG, CLE, DAL, FLL, HOU, LIT, SDF, BNA, MSY, RDU, TUL, and ICT. There are some frequent flyers in Greater Phoenix who prefer to fly on WN since WN has been at PHX for over 36 years and since WN has nonstop service from PHX to destinations that AA does not serve nonstop from PHX. WN could add PHX-BDL nonstop service since the lack of nonstop service to PHX from BDL is a huge hole, and there is more than enough demand for nonstop service to PHX from BDL.

Super80Fan

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:16 pm

I could see WN starting this route over AA at the present moment.

FSDan

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:17 pm

N516jb wrote:
Will AA ever look into a BDL-PHX flight?

To be a bit snarky, I'm sure they will look into it. Whether or not they decide it is worth flying is an entirely separate matter.

uconn99

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:23 pm

wn676 wrote:
N516jb wrote:

The fact that AA has an LAX nonstop probably hurts its chances, since that flight is already probably pulling the most lucrative connections from AA’s west coast network as well as the O&D from the L.A. area. If there is significant O&D on LAX-BDL and v.v., then there may be a case for them to flow connections over PHX. But I have no idea what those numbers look like.

I believe you have said this in the past but I can't find any record of this flight ever being flown by US. Can you post a link showing US operating the flight?

AA the last few months of 2017 was the #1 carrier just ahead of WN and both should be neck and neck for 2018. I could see either starting the route as it is the #1 market not served from BDL.

wn676

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:29 am

uconn99 wrote:
wn676 wrote:
N516jb wrote:

I believe you have said this in the past but I can't find any record of this flight ever being flown by US. Can you post a link showing US operating the flight?

AA the last few months of 2017 was the #1 carrier just ahead of WN and both should be neck and neck for 2018. I could see either starting the route as it is the #1 market not served from BDL.

https://www.transtats.bts.gov/ONTIME/Departures.aspx

You can search the flight history here.

N516jb
Topic Author

Re: AA BDL-PHX in the future?

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:03 am

Seems like WN has a better chance than AA to start service BDL-PHX. AA already has around 4 daily non-stops from BOS...

uconn99

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:01 pm

wn676 wrote:
uconn99 wrote:
wn676 wrote:

https://www.transtats.bts.gov/ONTIME/Departures.aspx

You can search the flight history here.

Thanks for posting the link. I do see the flight operated as US 419 and US 522 on the few days I searched.

uconn99

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:02 pm

N516jb wrote:
Seems like WN has a better chance than AA to start service BDL-PHX. AA already has around 4 daily non-stops from BOS...

Boston AA service has nothing to do with BDL. There is not much bleed from the main BDL catchment area to BOS for domestic flights, more so international.

spinkid

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:19 am

BDL area has many FF on Delta who would just assume connect in Atlanta or DTW to go west

jplatts

Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:58 pm

uconn99 wrote:
N516jb wrote:

Boston AA service has nothing to do with BDL. There is not much bleed from the main BDL catchment area to BOS for domestic flights, more so international.

HPN, which is located on the NY-CT border in the NYC metro area, is closer to Hartford than BOS is. In addition, LGA, SWF, and BOS are all approximately equidistant from Hartford, and JFK is slightly further from Hartford than LGA, SWF, and BOS are.

Vctony

Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:17 pm

AA has bigger "holes" from PHX than BDL. I'd expect BNA, CLE, COS, CVG, MSY, RDU, TUL, and YYC would all be added before they got around to BDL.

WN's doesn't fly anywhere in the New England from PHX and I'd expect BOS to be added on them before BDL.

jplatts

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:20 pm

Vctony wrote:
AA has bigger "holes" from PHX than BDL. I'd expect BNA, CLE, COS, CVG, MSY, RDU, TUL, and YYC would all be added before they got around to BDL.

WN's doesn't fly anywhere in the New England from PHX and I'd expect BOS to be added on them before BDL.

AA had actually dropped PHX-CLE nonstop service after adding PHX-CLE nonstop service back in October 2014. WN was able to make PHX-CLE nonstop service work, and WN still serves PHX nonstop from CLE. Demand for WN service has also been increasing in the CLE market since the UA dehubbing in CLE.

WN did serve PVD and BOS nonstop from PHX in the past, and WN is now bigger in BOS than it was in the past. I agree that WN could possibly bring back nonstop service to PVD and BOS from PHX, but the lack of PHX-BDL nonstop service is a bigger hole than the lack of WN nonstop service to BOS from PHX.

WN does have seasonal nonstop service to PHX from CVG that ends on April 7th, but WN could extend PHX-CVG service to daily year-round service. DL will also be bringing back PHX-CVG nonstop service in November. The lack of AA nonstop service to CVG from PHX will not be as big as a hole with DL bringing back nonstop service to CVG from PHX in November 2018.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos