Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

iceberg210
Topic Author

Alaska Horizon Shutters Lewiston Service from SEA and BOI

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:27 pm

Lewiston to Boise is ending in August, ending the last inter Idaho service for Horizon a carrier that used to provide a variety of options out of Boise to other parts of the state. Sounds like while their loads weren't great at 60% they were getting people and it almost feels to me like this is the kind of route that got cut after they changed to all Q400's with no smaller aircraft to right size the route, but somehow it held on a lot longer than any other like routes. Shame, to lose that service, makes one wish there was a carrier that had smaller planes that could make it work. Alaska will still service Pullman from Seattle but alas only Spokane service is left for Southern to Northern Idaho (I know Spokane is Washington but it's as close as we've got air service wise) transportation.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/busi ... 72694.html
Erik Berg
“Little by little, we advance with each turn. That's how a drill works!”

Chugach

Re: Alaska Horizon Shutters Lewiston Service from SEA and BOI

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:38 pm

Bummer. LWS is a long-time market for AS/QX.

On a side note, any bets how old the Horizon photo is in the newspaper article? That’s a Q200 in the old paint job.

flyoregon

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:43 pm

I miss the old Horizon days when they actually had an individual culture.

RJNUT

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:49 pm

More or less a minor cut, but it just seems to me AS/QX has been on a negative streak for at least a year , Death by 1000 cuts comes to mind. Its more a perception issue I suppose, but its seems like never ending string of "little" stories.

Flame away!

Prost

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:59 pm

I think you’re seeing a few things happening, AS/QX Are transitioning from a regional (by geography) carrier to a quasi national one, and there is a lot of energy expended right now on making the merger work.

Airplanes are expensive machines. If LWS wasn’t the best use for an expensive asset, it’s timeto move that asset.

And Lewiston and Pullman are not that far away from each other (26 mi.)

FSDan

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:05 pm

I always thought LWS-BOI seemed like an odd route given that BOI isn't all that large of a city. Too bad to see these routes go, though. This will mean the only scheduled service from LWS will be on DL (operated by SkyWest) to SLC.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

gmcc

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:07 pm

Here is another link with a lot of the same information but it also seem to say that the airport was having some issues as well.

https://dnews.com/local/flights-no-long ... 04982.html

From the article.
'Alaska's decision comes at a time when the Lewiston Airport Authority Board is struggling to get basic tasks done such as paying the bills. Split by a number of issues, including how to supervise Morgan, only three of the board's five seats are occupied.'

That doesn't sound like a place I mind want to fly as an airline.

mtnwest1979

Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:21 pm

And to think that at one time, Horizon, Empire, and United Express operated 12 BOI-LWS flights/day in 1989 or so. Each had 4 per day in a mix of Metroliners and J31s.
Just like the other places in the NW, they sized themselves out of the market.
Hope there is a better way coming to get to the SEA area as going to PUW is a basic waste. Oh well, maybe OO flights will upgrade to CR7....
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

PlanesNTrains

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:56 am

I agree that they sized themselves out of LWS - that was discussed back when the Dash 200's left the fleet.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

oosnowrat

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:30 am

mtnwest1979 wrote:
Oh well, maybe OO flights will upgrade to CR7....

LWS is a OO prorate market. One can hope for another flight to SLC....

ridgid727

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:36 am

oosnowrat wrote:
mtnwest1979 wrote:

They may very well add one to their SEA hub rather than SLC

oosnowrat

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:47 am

ridgid727 wrote:
oosnowrat wrote:
mtnwest1979 wrote:

They may very well add one to their SEA hub rather than SLC

Maybe, but does DL have room in SEA?

cjmoeser

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:51 am

FSDan wrote:
I always thought LWS-BOI seemed like an odd route given that BOI isn't all that large of a city. Too bad to see these routes go, though. This will mean the only scheduled service from LWS will be on DL (operated by SkyWest) to SLC.

We're actually growing as a City. It's also more convenient for people in mid-central Idaho to drive to LWS than down to Boise. Unfortunately for Alaska, now Delta has more Idaho destinations than AS. DL does, PIH, TWF, IDA, BOI, LWS and SUN. Compared to AS with SUN and BOI.

I wish that QX never cut the Intra-Idaho routes from BOI with the Q200 as PIH & IDA would've been full constantly, being close to Idaho Sate University at PIH and rather than an 8 hour drive from BOI to Idaho Falls, and even Twin Falls with CSI (College of Southern Idaho)

ScottB

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:09 am

mtnwest1979 wrote:
And to think that at one time, Horizon, Empire, and United Express operated 12 BOI-LWS flights/day in 1989 or so. Each had 4 per day in a mix of Metroliners and J31s.

Well, keep in mind that in those days a load factor of 50-60% was acceptable for regional routes like that. Changes in regulations also had an impact once 19-seat aircraft were no longer exempted from certain safety requirements. And an airport like BOI acted as a regional hub because Metroliners and J31s just weren't suitable for routes as long as DEN-LWS and the relationships between the legacy carriers and regional airlines were far looser.

ZK just went out of business because running an airline of 19-seat and 30-seat aircraft just isn't viable anymore in the U.S. Unit costs are really high to provide the service, small props are notoriously uncomfortable, surface transportation options (due to improved roads and higher speed limits) are more competitive, and in combination with the last factor, LCC options at medium-sized airports often drain traffic from small airports. A family of four probably isn't going to pay $100 each, each way (or $800 total) to fly out of LWS on vacation when GEG is two hours away.

mtnwest1979

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:06 am

ScottB wrote:
mtnwest1979 wrote:

Well, keep in mind that in those days a load factor of 50-60% was acceptable for regional routes like that. Changes in regulations also had an impact once 19-seat aircraft were no longer exempted from certain safety requirements. And an airport like BOI acted as a regional hub because Metroliners and J31s just weren't suitable for routes as long as DEN-LWS and the relationships between the legacy carriers and regional airlines were far looser.

ZK just went out of business because running an airline of 19-seat and 30-seat aircraft just isn't viable anymore in the U.S. Unit costs are really high to provide the service, small props are notoriously uncomfortable, surface transportation options (due to improved roads and higher speed limits) are more competitive, and in combination with the last factor, LCC options at medium-sized airports often drain traffic from small airports. A family of four probably isn't going to pay $100 each, each way (or $800 total) to fly out of LWS on vacation when GEG is two hours away.

Well I am quite aware of everything you mention. I was just throwing it out there that it was once a busy (flight wise) route for its small size. Just as SLC-PIH was in 1979. I do miss the 'old days' of actually being able (but most not) making money with commuter air service.

mtnwest1979

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:14 am

cjmoeser wrote:
FSDan wrote:

We're actually growing as a City. It's also more convenient for people in mid-central Idaho to drive to LWS than down to Boise. Unfortunately for Alaska, now Delta has more Idaho destinations than AS. DL does, PIH, TWF, IDA, BOI, LWS and SUN. Compared to AS with SUN and BOI.

I wish that QX never cut the Intra-Idaho routes from BOI with the Q200 as PIH & IDA would've been full constantly, being close to Idaho Sate University at PIH and rather than an 8 hour drive from BOI to Idaho Falls, and even Twin Falls with CSI (College of Southern Idaho)

It is nowhere near an 8 hour drive from Boise to Idaho Falls, Round trip can even be done under that @ 279 miles with 80 MPH speed limit for vast majority (only Pocatello area at 65). With I-84 , 86, and 15 seemingly all in decent shape by now, very easy drive.

cjmoeser

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:21 am

mtnwest1979 wrote:
cjmoeser wrote:
FSDan wrote:

It is nowhere near an 8 hour drive from Boise to Idaho Falls, Round trip can even be done under that @ 279 miles with 80 MPH speed limit for vast majority (only Pocatello area at 65). With I-84 , 86, and 15 seemingly all in decent shape by now, very easy drive.

Maybe have over exaggerated a little bit. haha.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos