Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dfwjim1
Topic Author

United Airlines, Hawaiian Islands to Denver

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:27 am

I was checking FlightAware early this morning and I noticed that UAL was running a redeye flight from each of the airports to Denver International. I imagine the flight from HNL runs year round but are the others more of the seasonal variety? Great to see so much service from the Hawaiian Islands to Denver by the way.

SeaDoo

Re: United Airlines, Hawaiian Islands to Denver

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:55 am

boilerla wrote:
http://newsroom.united.com/2017-06-13-United-Airlines-Says-Aloha-to-More-Hawaii-Increases-Service-to-40-Daily-Flights

This is a nice summary.

SmithAir747

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:33 am

What aircraft type are UA operating from DEN to HNL? The news link only indicates lie-flat service.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

fry530

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:34 am

SmithAir747 wrote:
What aircraft type are UA operating from DEN to HNL? The news link only indicates lie-flat service.

SmithAir747

777. KOA, OGG, and LIH are all 757.
319 320 32N 321 332 333 722 733 735 73G 738 739 744 752 763 772 77W CR2 CR7 Q400 E145 E170 DC10 MD80
AA BA BD CO DL EI F9 HP NW NZ UA U2 WN Y4

VC10er

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:57 am

The article mentions the Saks bedding, which means these flights are virtually like international. I think it shows United thinking out of the box more than they usually do, so BRAVO! I think it’s smart when an airline can put a stake in the ground and virtually “own” a designation or region.
I can think of Delta and Orlando, to me Delta and Disney are synonymous- now United and Hawaii.

I have flown United’s 764 from HNL to EWR (a very comfortable domestic trip), but I don’t recall if that flight had Hawaiian goodies on board. I think dressing up the cabins with hibiscus and signature drinks etc would also be a great idea.
In olden times airlines used to do special little things to make your vacation start when you boarded.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

77H

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:37 am

In addition to the DEN service UA has added ORD-OGG 5x weekly year around and upped frequencies from LAX/SFO to the outer islands. Looks like there will also be a few SFO-OGG flights operated by the 772 in April.

77H

VC10er

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:47 pm

Does (or did) United have to do anything with the state government of Hawaii to get all these frequencies? I’m absolutely NOT implying any improprieties, but any sort of agreements for flying privileges or gates or doing anything to give back to Hawaii? Airport enhancements etc?
I would assume there would be some sort of boost to the local economies with so much ease of access to so many Hawaiian destinations.
And who is #2 to Hawaii and how far behind are they compared to UA? (Assuming United is indeed #1)
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

codc10

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:04 pm

VC10er wrote:
Does (or did) United have to do anything with the state government of Hawaii to get all these frequencies? I’m absolutely NOT implying any improprieties, but any sort of agreements for flying privileges or gates or doing anything to give back to Hawaii? Airport enhancements etc?
I would assume there would be some sort of boost to the local economies with so much ease of access to so many Hawaiian destinations.
And who is #2 to Hawaii and how far behind are they compared to UA? (Assuming United is indeed #1)

The domestic market is deregulated and none of the Hawaii airports are slot-restricted. UA has access to the gates it needs to add service, so as a certificated air carrier, there's nothing standing in the way of UA adding flights for which it sees a business case. No special 'privileges' necessary.

Any coordination between UA and state/local government in Hawaii is primarily marketing-related (promote tourism, business, convention traffic, etc.).

I believe UA is still the largest carrier from the mainland to Hawaii by daily flights and ASMs. Hawaiian and Alaska also have significant mainland operations, but UA beats them on volume.

cledaybuck

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:10 pm

VC10er wrote:
The article mentions the Saks bedding, which means these flights are virtually like international. I think it shows United thinking out of the box more than they usually do, so BRAVO! I think it’s smart when an airline can put a stake in the ground and virtually “own” a designation or region.
I can think of Delta and Orlando, to me Delta and Disney are synonymous- now United and Hawaii.
WN is by far and away the domestic market share leader in MCO.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

WkndWanderer

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:34 pm

codc10 wrote:
VC10er wrote:

The domestic market is deregulated and none of the Hawaii airports are slot-restricted. UA has access to the gates it needs to add service, so as a certificated air carrier, there's nothing standing in the way of UA adding flights for which it sees a business case. No special 'privileges' necessary.

Any coordination between UA and state/local government in Hawaii is primarily marketing-related (promote tourism, business, convention traffic, etc.).

I believe UA is still the largest carrier from the mainland to Hawaii by daily flights and ASMs. Hawaiian and Alaska also have significant mainland operations, but UA beats them on volume.

Alaska has at least 30 daily frequencies, they're probably second on number of flights, but use smaller equipment than UA and HA.

airportugal310

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:17 pm

VC10er wrote:

I have flown United’s 764 from HNL to EWR (a very comfortable domestic trip), but I don’t recall if that flight had Hawaiian goodies on board. I think dressing up the cabins with hibiscus and signature drinks etc would also be a great idea.
In olden times airlines used to do special little things to make your vacation start when you boarded.

And in current times, one airline, namely Hawaiian Airlines, STILL does that.
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

rph99

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:30 pm

Was on the red eye to Denver from Lihue just a few days ago! Flight was full (same going from Denver to Lihue).

It also seemed like a lot of people knew each other on the flight (but didn’t know they were gonna be on it). Lots of O&D traffic from Denver to the islands as well! Definitely a healthy route system for United!

winginit

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:31 pm

codc10 wrote:

This is correct. June 2018 data below as a test month (Hawaii to Continental US):

Flights Seats ASMs
UA 2,214 483,970 1,397,526,474
HA 1,534 402,452 1,067,663,224
AA 1,452 291,404 857,323,094
AS 1,630 265,402 669,553,720
DL 994 215,776 610,646,744

crazytoaster

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:52 pm

rph99 wrote:
Was on the red eye to Denver from Lihue just a few days ago! Flight was full (same going from Denver to Lihue).

It also seemed like a lot of people knew each other on the flight (but didn’t know they were gonna be on it). Lots of O&D traffic from Denver to the islands as well! Definitely a healthy route system for United!

Was just on that flight too. Mine was full too but it is spring break time so I don't know if that factors in. Flight was fine and seats weren't bad in economy but no free or full meal service was not fun going to Lihue. An 8 hour flight with only 1 snack service and buy-on-board. I knew this beforehand and ended up getting the last sandwich.
DEN homebase. Frequent traveler to IND and RNO.

evank516

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:55 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
VC10er wrote:
WN is by far and away the domestic market share leader in MCO.

Yes, but Central Florida itself is still known as part of Delta Country.

intotheair

Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:51 am

It is quite a ramp-up. All of those routes except for DEN-HNL were pretty much Saturday only, March or April through October or November. DEN-OGG may have been daily seasonal at one point, but not in recent years.

Does anyone know who was the first airline to do Denver-Hawaii nonstop and when? My father, who's a lifelong Denverite and planespotter, did not know. Our guess was UA in the mid 90s, but it's also possible CO may have flown it back in the day.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

flyingclrs727

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:41 am

I was noticing the flights are about 7 hours from DEN. That makes efficient use of pilots. UA should only need to have a captain and first officer. It sounds like it should be a much easier connection from the eastern half of the US to any of major islands than at a west coast airport.

azjubilee

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:48 am

VC10er wrote:

The flights are HARDLY like international. While the bedding is nice, the service and everything else is generic UA domestic service. As for "owning" Hawaii? Uh... not really. "Only one airline is Hawaiian."

kaitakfan

Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:21 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
I was noticing the flights are about 7 hours from DEN. That makes efficient use of pilots. UA should only need to have a captain and first officer. It sounds like it should be a much easier connection from the eastern half of the US to any of major islands than at a west coast airport.

Most of us on the 756 fleet don’t care for the Denver-Hawaii trips. I see them sitting in open time for DEN FO’s quite often. They are 3 day pairings which has a long layover in the islands, but the all nighter back to DEN is brutal. Even worse if one is a commuter. Also the trip only pays 15 hours for 3 days which is the same as LAX/SFO-Hawaii 3 day trip. So the pilots butts are in the seats longer then doing a West coast run but paid the same. Amazing how that extra 1.9 hours on the East bound all nighter can feel like an eternity. It does goes to show how good we have it here in the USA. My friends at Emirates laugh about us dreading a 7 hour unaugmented red eye.

strfyr51

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:15 am

VC10er wrote:

United has been flying to all of these points in Hawaii for many years. but mainly from SFO, LAX, and ORD It's about time we did it from DEN..
EWR and IAH came on after the merger and they will get in there as well because CO also had routes to Hawaii pre-merger so that's not new either.

77H

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:39 am

azjubilee wrote:
VC10er wrote:

The flights are HARDLY like international. While the bedding is nice, the service and everything else is generic UA domestic service. As for "owning" Hawaii? Uh... not really. "Only one airline is Hawaiian."

I wouldn’t say UA owns the market but they have continuously been the “largest” carrier to and from the mainland which in turn is the largest market segment in the Hawaiian market. From a macro perspective, HA “owns” Hawaii.

Semantics aside, VC is right. UA is very much synonymous with Hawaii and has a long, robust history in the Hawaiian Market.

77H

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos