VC10er

Re: LH A350 New Colors - Hideous!

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:04 pm

What is so disappointing to me is the haggard trick of pulling the color of the tail down, on the same angle, onto the fuselage. It was cool when it was first done, and perhaps 1 or 2 times after (like FedEx 20+ years ago) - I rolled my eyes when TAM did it! I just would have never thought Lufthansa would cave into a design trick.
I love change, but not this time. The yellow and navy was LUFTHANSA. This is AnythingAir.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

HHScot

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:07 pm

This subject was discussed to death over the last weeks. We all know that the majority think that the new colour scheme is hideous. But are we going to discuss every new picture of it that gets posted? This thread isn't adding anything new to what has already been said!

sassiciai

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:08 pm

airbazar wrote:
Lufthansa's new livery is just hideous, period, no matter what aircraft it's on. This should go down as a classic case study on how to ruin a corporate image.

seahawk wrote:
And if you look at the whole rebranding (websites, mobile apps, etc.) it is very well done. Who cares about a livery today anyway?

If no one cares, then why change it? It costs millions to repaint an entire fleet. Do you really think LH or any other airline would do that if no one cared?

You choose to use the silly phrase "..., period,....", but you didn't then use a period! :faint:

What is the point of using the word "period" as some emphasis - it just does not work, it just looks silly, like something The Donald uses!. 99% of the people who do use it continue their post after using it. Not Oxford English, matey!

As for the new LH scheme, it is after all, just a scheme. There are other aircraft (think SN has 5 or 6 A320s each painted in exotic schemes, some Far East carriers with funny one-off schemes). The point of the aircraft is to transport pax from A to B, not to be an art exhibit! Exclamation Mark

sturmovik

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:23 pm

sassiciai wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Lufthansa's new livery is just hideous, period, no matter what aircraft it's on. This should go down as a classic case study on how to ruin a corporate image.

seahawk wrote:
And if you look at the whole rebranding (websites, mobile apps, etc.) it is very well done. Who cares about a livery today anyway?

If no one cares, then why change it? It costs millions to repaint an entire fleet. Do you really think LH or any other airline would do that if no one cared?

You choose to use the silly phrase "..., period,....", but you didn't then use a period! :faint:

What is the point of using the word "period" as some emphasis - it just does not work, it just looks silly, like something The Donald uses!. 99% of the people who do use it continue their post after using it. Not Oxford English, matey!

As for the new LH scheme, it is after all, just a scheme. There are other aircraft (think SN has 5 or 6 A320s each painted in exotic schemes, some Far East carriers with funny one-off schemes). The point of the aircraft is to transport pax from A to B, not to be an art exhibit! Exclamation Mark

Wait, you're being pedantic about grammar while decrying everyone else's right to be pedantic about a livery? Also, anyone who says 'period' for emphasis probably did not intend for it to be Oxford English anyway, since 'period' is North American, while Oxford would prefer 'full stop'.

Cheers! :wave:
'What's it doing now?'

william

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:28 pm

VC10er wrote:
What is so disappointing to me is the haggard trick of pulling the color of the tail down, on the same angle, onto the fuselage. It was cool when it was first done, and perhaps 1 or 2 times after (like FedEx 20+ years ago) - I rolled my eyes when TAM did it! I just would have never thought Lufthansa would cave into a design trick.
I love change, but not this time. The yellow and navy was LUFTHANSA. This is AnythingAir.

That is what i don't get. To spend the money to rebrand only to pick a livery that can be confused with a FEDEX aircraft or any other Euro White scheme on the tarmac by the "non" avgeek customer.

In the cheat line era at least you had some differentiation between liveries on the tarmac.

leleko747

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:35 pm

IMHO this livery (?) looks awful on every aircraft painted... 747-8, MD-11F, A320/A321 and now A350.
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

WingsOfLove

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:37 pm

sassiciai wrote:
The point of the aircraft is to transport pax from A to B, not to be an art exhibit! Exclamation Mark

Did you see the video with the LH guy in charge of the new branding? He does believe it's art. lol

I actually happen to like it. Especially on the A350.

seahawk

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:39 pm

william wrote:
VC10er wrote:

That is what i don't get. To spend the money to rebrand only to pick a livery that can be confused with a FEDEX aircraft or any other Euro White scheme on the tarmac by the "non" avgeek customer.

In the cheat line era at least you had some differentiation between liveries on the tarmac.

When does the non avgeek customer see the livery outside the promotional material of the airline?

na

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:48 pm

seahawk wrote:
william wrote:
When does the non avgeek customer see the livery outside the promotional material of the airline?

You mean the non-blind customer?
ok, here you go:
1. when he´s driving past the airport
2. when he sees a plane landing
3. when he´s sitting at the gate
4. when he´s entering the plane
5. when he´s sitting in the plane looking out of the window
6. when he´s leaving the plane (at least if he´s not absorbed to get the mobile phone working - generation head down)
7. when he´s booking his next flight
8. when he´s living in a big city with an airport

william

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:50 pm

seahawk wrote:
william wrote:
VC10er wrote:

Its part of the brand. The plane is part of the branding.

neomax

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:54 pm

OA412 wrote:
Just think, they could've gone down the IB route and destroyed their brand identity.

I think that's exactly what has happened.

Alphazone

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:57 pm

The previous LH livery was so nice, while this new one the worst I've ever seen.
Spirit of the Northwest People

7673mech

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:00 pm

HHScot wrote:
This subject was discussed to death over the last weeks. We all know that the majority think that the new colour scheme is hideous. But are we going to discuss every new picture of it that gets posted? This thread isn't adding anything new to what has already been said!

Agreed.
That thread talked to the incompetence of management.
Them two days later we were talking record profits.
This site has become predictable and petty.

Jetty

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:02 pm

bpat777 wrote:
Yes I have to agree with you about the ugliest A350 out there. Shame because the A350 is such an amazing looking aircraft.

:checkmark: It's so bad that LH is deserving of having their official 5* rating taken away.

seahawk

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:03 pm

william wrote:
seahawk wrote:
william wrote:

And the branding is consistent.

na wrote:
seahawk wrote:
william wrote:

ok, here you go:
6. when he´s leaving the plane (at least if he´s not absorbed to get the mobile phone working - generation head down)

1. maybe most people I know have little idea which airlines they are seeing though
2. if he would be in such a place and actually look
3. okay
4. depends if it is a bus gate or not
5. hardly - only the wing and winglet (which has the crane)
6. again only if it is a bus gate
7. I do not follow.
8. if he looks at the planes and they would be low enough to be identifiable

sassiciai

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:07 pm

My dear Sturmovik,

I'l leave you to sweat over the "period"/"full stop" issue and whether it is Oxford, New York, or wherever. I just used "period" because that was what was in the thread I responded to. I have yet to see any post here on a.net where someone tried to draw a line under an argument by concluding with "full stop"! Just as stupid as the alternative. What's more, in 99%, after their "period", they continue posting on the topic! Now that is confusing, don't you think?

I made no comment as you claim about decrying everyone else's right to be pedantic about a livery! My POV about liveries in general, and this new LH in particular, is "Who cares", so everyone IMHO is free and entitled to his own opinion!

MakeMinesLAX

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:10 pm

trent768 wrote:
Is it just me or the new livery made the 350 looks much shorter and stubbier, almost like the 788? Especially when you put the picture side by side, it looks like a comparison of a 788 and 789 :D

The gray belly on the previous livery does wonders for making the plane look more sleek. I think that treatment was behind some of the "looks like a 757" comments when the A350 was initially rolled out. The blue DL belly certainly is an appearance-enhancing feature.

VC10er

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:10 pm

na wrote:
seahawk wrote:
william wrote:

ok, here you go:

9: IN ADVERTISING! When an aircraft is often (not always) used as the primary image in billboards and print, often when there is TV

No, not many people (maybe 3/4 of us) chose an airline based on its livery, but it does say something about the brand itself
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

rbavfan

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:14 pm

AirbusOnly wrote:
If you will excuse me Sir, tastes are necessarily different....so I cannot follow you. For me the new modern state of art livery is indeed especially Fitting to THIS airplane as the most modern one which is in the Lufthansa fleet now. Well done Lufthansa! ^^

Without the yellow it looks Bland & boring as hell. 2 tone & cheap livery.

rbavfan

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:23 pm

seahawk wrote:
william wrote:
seahawk wrote:

And the branding is consistent.

na wrote:
seahawk wrote:

ok, here you go:

1. maybe most people I know have little idea which airlines they are seeing though
3. okay
7. I do not follow.

#1: Most everyone I know even ones that don't fly can recognize AA, DL, WN from looking at the plane. from colors & livery design.
#5: If I was sitting in the plane looking out the window at the gate I would see the plane next to me with a boring "Who Cares" livery.

flybynight

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:25 pm

I actually like the new tail colors. What I don't like is that everything else is just acres of white. At least put some color on the engines or get a nice class cheat-line.
Heia Norge!

rbavfan

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:32 pm

flybynight wrote:
I actually like the new tail colors. What I don't like is that everything else is just acres of white. At least put some color on the engines or get a nice class cheat-line.

A cheat line would be a huge difference and should be added.

I like Hawaiian Airlines new look best.

ronitkadam777

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:32 pm

I really hope someone from LH is reading!
Please bring back the YELLOW!

chunhimlai

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:39 pm

in short: U G L Y

na

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:40 pm

seahawk wrote:
3. okay
7. I do not follow.

1. Most people you know are analphabets?
2. I am pretty sure most people who hear airplanes actually will look at them unless its everyday business for them
4. You can also look at the aircraft if you are walking through a "finger"
5. looking out of an aircraft window on an airport you´ll see many aircraft, more than anything else.
7. airline websites uusually show the aircraft
8. inevitable when you live close to an airport. No one will look away 100% of the time.

Anyway, the livery is the most prominent way to display an airlines identity.

Btw, even my 3-year-old nephew can identify a Lufthansa plane. And he has only flown twice.

TheLion

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:43 pm

Goodyear wrote:

The sad part is, the individual who was responsible for this horrendous rebrand probably got promoted. This is probably the ugliest A350 out there. What a sad, missed opportunity.

Yes, agreed. This is ab-so-f******lutely atrocious. Bland corporatism at its worst :worried:

na

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:46 pm

flybynight wrote:
What I don't like is that everything else is just acres of white.

And thats what I really like about the new livery. It makes the aircraft look very crisp, clean, elegant and upmarket. Its the dull grey wings everyone else has - wings treated as being not a part of the livery design - that I dont like.

Slug71

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:55 pm

N14AZ wrote:
Goodyear wrote:
The sad part is, the individual who was responsible for this horrendous rebrand probably got promoted.

Whenever we discuss something that went wrong there will be at least one member, usually from North America, who will comment "Someone has to be fired!". Well, that's not how it works in Germany but I am sure someone had some sleepless nights after getting some critical questions from LH's management...

That's because there are no employee protections in the US. You can be fired for literally no reason at all. At least most countries require at least a verbal, written, or both, warning before being terminated so that the employee has an opportunity to correct the issue.

As to the livery, I don't think it's "hideous", but there is not much appealing about it. I don't believe this is the final shade of blue(?), but I don't mind it. Quite like it actually. It's the rest of the livery that is dull, and the yellow is definitely missed. Airlines that go with a mostly white livery, should at least add some colour to the engines and/or bigger lettering(Finnair).

rikkus67

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:58 pm

Wonder if it has the single (lonely) Lufthansa Yellow square beside the L1 Door?
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

Heinkel

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:15 pm

TheLion wrote:
Goodyear wrote:

The sad part is, the individual who was responsible for this horrendous rebrand probably got promoted. This is probably the ugliest A350 out there. What a sad, missed opportunity.

Yes, agreed. This is ab-so-f******lutely atrocious. Bland corporatism at its worst :worried:

Did nobody notice, that the left picture (new livery) is overexposed compared with the right picture? Have a look at the dark holes of the windows. On the left picture they are nearly invisible due to the overexposure of the white.

May be the left picture was taken with a poor camera or it was photoshopped the get this effect. In any case such a low quality picture can't be the base to discuss the shades of blue and white in a livery.

It also looks like the left picture is resized and compressed in x-direction to make the a/c look stubby. So the picture of the new livery is poor quality and modified. Are there any professional high-res pictures of the new livery available?

Miquel787

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:25 pm

Typical conservative Germans..Nothing wrong with Lufthansa and the A350..Don.t do something crazy...but why the hell not...It. the same with a VW Golf...it looks the same for decades..Don.t overstyle it because German buyers don.t like that. Why not a competition for a new livery? Get new idea.s...do something different..Everybody knows Lufthansa as a brand..that.s not the problem..But this boring livery doesn.t fit on such a modern fleet.But that.s my opinion.

Jawaiiansky66

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:39 pm

To give a true review of the livery, i think we all have to step back and let it sit for a while. While I too was disappointed when i first saw it...now its growing on me. Yes, its very stark and simple, but this seems to be the way of many new liveries (China Eastern, Iberia, Air Canada, Delta, Finnair, Qantas). The crane logo itself is timeless and should be the main element on the fuselage, as should the iconic HELVETICA - Lufthansa typeface up front.

shamrock350

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:42 pm

The new livery makes the A350 look stumpy, something I didn't think was possible!

It's such a disappointing livery, yes it's smart and professional but it's also painfully bland at the same time.

iadadd

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:44 pm

If they could change the bird on the tail to yellow, it wouldn't be bad. The current color combination looks a tad bit cold and industrial, and doesn't evoke a welcoming feel.

Carlos01

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:48 pm

Well I for one love the new livery - I saw it in person less than 2 weeks ago on the Queen, absolutely wonderful. However here I have to agree - I mean the livery itself is still really cool - but it does not fit to the A350 at all. It ruins the looks of the plane. At minimum they should re-think the A350, how to make it more fitting. The ABYA has a massive tail - which means also there is much more of the blue and it's more dominant. Here? Maaah...

But maybe it grows on me. Or us. Dunno.

redcap1962

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:53 pm

Heinkel wrote:
Did nobody notice, that the left picture (new livery) is overexposed compared with the right picture? Have a look at the dark holes of the windows. On the left picture they are nearly invisible due to the overexposure of the white.

May be the left picture was taken with a poor camera or it was photoshopped the get this effect. In any case such a low quality picture can't be the base to discuss the shades of blue and white in a livery.

It also looks like the left picture is resized and compressed in x-direction to make the a/c look stubby. So the picture of the new livery is poor quality and modified. Are there any professional high-res pictures of the new livery available?

Let me remind you that the standards for photos to get accepted on A-net is quite high! Said picture is for sure not overexposed, the seemingly white windows come from the angle of the sun, which reflects on the fuselage. This frame is fresh from the paint shop, which makes this effect even more strong! Maybe the photographer choose this very photo because otherwise the plane would haven been (partly) in the shadow of some clouds.
This is your pilot speaking. Welcome to flight one from here to there. We'll be flying at a height of ten feet, going up to twelve and a half feet if we see anything big. My copilot today is a flask of coffee.

Eddie Izzard

PA110

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:53 pm

rlwynn wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Exactly, nobody. Especially the people inside of the plane since they cannot see the outside of it anyway.

Precisely. It's only A.nutters who completely lose their minds every time an airline re-brands or tweaks their livery. You'd think the fate of the planet was at stake with all the hystrionics. I get people have a passion, and this is an enthusiast site, but honestly, it gets to be a bit much.
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

DarthLobster

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:10 pm

airzona11 wrote:
While it is certainly modern, it is no doubt also less expensive to maintain. Airlines are cutting costs everywhere they can.

How is it less expensive? White is the cheapest paint available and there’s less of it on the new livery than the old. The yellow in the old logo certainly shouldn’t have been breaking the bank.

Also, it isn’t 2004 anymore and airlines aren’t really in such a drastic cost-cutting mode right now. Most are investing heavily in their product. Pity LH didn’t feel the need to invest in their image.

airzona11

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:17 pm

DarthLobster wrote:
airzona11 wrote:
While it is certainly modern, it is no doubt also less expensive to maintain. Airlines are cutting costs everywhere they can.

How is it less expensive? White is the cheapest paint available and there’s less of it on the new livery than the old. The yellow in the old logo certainly shouldn’t have been breaking the bank.

Also, it isn’t 2004 anymore and airlines aren’t really in such a drastic cost-cutting mode right now. Most are investing heavily in their product. Pity LH didn’t feel the need to invest in their image.

Airlines are cutting cost as much as ever. LH group included. That doesn't mean they aren't investing in their product. Outsourcing flying to Eurowings, etc is done to reduce costs. It is highly unlikely they would have rolled out this new paint scheme that cost more to maintain vs their current.

Regardless, I actually like the livery.

Flanor

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:22 pm

I'm sure that in a few years time this change will be looked back on as a mistake. The new livery is plain and nondescript. The blue and yellow has character and is very recognizable. The old livery somehow made many aircraft types look very sharp.

Junction

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:31 pm

Travel industry products as a whole, whether it be hotel room, airport lounge, departure gate, plane logo, website etc. have begun a shift to more minimalistic designs. Has the Millennial generation perhaps dictated this trend?

DWC

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:37 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
This isn't a livery. It's a white plane with a logo on it.

Agreed :D But it looks good on the 748.
In any case, I always found the grey nacelles horrendous.
The same lack of good taste has now swung back to teutonic minimalism : will not be remembered as a signal relifting.

And Frankly, UTA's livery looks so modern in comparison, specially for its time (1980s) & still good looking !
About a decade before Qantas copied it.
Just imagine if Lufty had retained its yellow crane & added yellow doors ( all rest like the new livery )
Last edited by DWC on Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

FlyingJhawk

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:40 pm

Horrendous? No. Boring and uninspiring? Definitely. Looks like something my Prussian grandfather would approve of.

I will say that the new LH livery has made the current UA livery look fantastic!!

Runway28L

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:52 pm

My take: It's really not that bad of a livery despite myself prefering the older one. LH could've botched their rebrand much worse IMO like some other carriers in the past have.

I still think it could've had some features added. Maybe it could've retained the grey belly and possibly add the blue crane to the nacelles.

I originally thought making the new crane yellow would've been a major improvement, but the silver crane now has grown on me I think.
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: https://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted

crimsonchin

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:07 pm

Thankfully, the A350s dimensions are so near perfect, it'd take a lot to make it ugly.

LH tried really hard to make that happen though.

Kilopond

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:20 pm

Has anyone here ever considered the idea that managements might be infested with useless amateurs and dilettants? As a matter of fact, it took more than a year before the Lufthansa/Fraport conglomerate removed those ridiculous billboards that could have been understood as a death threat. :eek:

ojjunior

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:44 pm

It is not Lufthansa 's fault... the problem started in TLS when some folks proposed this monstruosity called A350 and few others approved.
Blame the French taste for it.
Nothing will make this flying cucumber looks better.

JannEejit

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:47 pm

I too am growing tired of this debate, I will try to 'bullet point' my main thoughts and contributions to this and these discussions.

I think the livery redesign is lazy and unoriginal (see the many similar schemes already referenced)
If it was original it would be ok, but it's not even that.
It's another eurowhite livery, marking the current trend for 'who cares' livery design.
The Lufthansa hired design team are wholly unconvincing with their sales pitch ( I studied design too, don't treat me like an idiot)
Eurowhite liveries work better with a third colour, this is true, go look at them.
Liveries are important identifiers of brand and indeed aircraft, imagine if every bus or cab company operated in white ?
The previous Lufthansa livery was basic enough, this is much worse and looks dreadfully cheap.
Lufthansa have had some splendid liveries in the past, some are currently flying as retro-jets, can you see this as a retro-jet in 30-50 years ?

I'm bored now, Lufty send some narrow body types to my local airport a few times a week, I may or may not give a schit about the livery... ;-)

A388

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:53 pm

I agree with the others in that we need to let these opinions on the new Lufthansa livery go. Every time the same things are being discussed with nothing new. I would suggest to not add anymore new threads about this livery unless LH has actually changed the colors or livery. This goes for all new airline liveries and is intended to avoid duplicate threads about the same topics over and over again.

A388

Slug71

Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:15 am

DWC wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
This isn't a livery. It's a white plane with a logo on it.

Agreed :D But it looks good on the 748.
In any case, I always found the grey nacelles horrendous.
The same lack of good taste has now swung back to teutonic minimalism : will not be remembered as a signal relifting.

And Frankly, UTA's livery looks so modern in comparison, specially for its time (1980s) & still good looking !
About a decade before Qantas copied it.
Just imagine if Lufty had retained its yellow crane & added yellow doors ( all rest like the new livery )

That does look good!

ojjunior wrote:
It is not Lufthansa 's fault... the problem started in TLS when some folks proposed this monstruosity called A350 and few others approved.
Blame the French taste for it.
Nothing will make this flying cucumber looks better.

Good thing opinions are like assholes....
One of the best looking aircraft ever produced IMO.
Last edited by Slug71 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos