Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MesserJ

Re: LH A350 New Colors - Hideous!

Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:49 pm

Such a pointless livery change. The old one looked good on pretty much any aircraft.

QXAS

Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:10 pm

The livery of an airline is so that on any day in any conditions, the airline can get its brand out there at and around an airport. I for one can say, if I saw the new LH livery but only the rear half of the jet, I would have no idea what airline the plane flies for. Whoever did HA, AS, AC, QF, NZ or even AZ deserves a promotion. All 6 liveries are different levels of complexity with HA the most complex and QF the most simple, but you can tell from 5 miles away what airline you’re looking at. From 5 miles away, the new LH looks like a second hand freighter operation with just a black tail and no logo. I don’t believe that’s the image of an airline they want to portray. If liveries were truly pointless like everyone says, nobody would spend so much money on them, and WN would be white.
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.

VC10er

Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:22 pm

N766UA wrote:
Firstly, LH's old livery was boring as hell, too. Anyone who calls it classic or beautiful is delusional, because it's straight-up, old school Eurowhite. Secondly, the A350 is an ugly airplane, with a short snout, goofy space shuttle windows, narrow, blocky tail, and chicken legs. It does nobody's livery favors. Finally, this livery is pretty boring and uninspired. They could have added something more to it, if only a yellow crane, and it'd be much improved.

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing, but do you think that people who love the A350 and the Classic LH livery are truly delusional and not just see things differently? That subjectivity doesn’t exist among the sane? What airplane and livery should everyone love?
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

AAF9UA

Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:27 pm

For many decades, Lufthansa aircraft have been identifiable from long distances precisely because of the round "Lufthansa Yellow" logo on the tail. Not to mention, yellow has been a part of Lufthansa's livery since the beginning of the Jet Age. Why not try the new livery with yellow added back to the tail logo? Otherwise, just paint the entire airplane white as it will save even more money AND will look just as good as the new livery.

N14AZ

Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:29 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
A few moments? It took me some minutes... ;-) (I am German and simply read it in German).

My point exactly - if you speak German, there's nothing amiss. And since the ads were found in Germany (aimed towards German speakers), I'm not sure it was quite the "cock-up" some earlier posters were making it out to be ;)

I also thought that comment was a little bit over the top... as if we suddenly cannot use the German word for „the“ (female) => „die“ on any poster anymore...

QXAS

Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:36 pm

AAF9UA wrote:
For many decades, Lufthansa aircraft have been identifiable from long distances precisely because of the round "Lufthansa Yellow" logo on the tail. Not to mention, yellow has been a part of Lufthansa's livery since the beginning of the Jet Age. Why not try the new livery with yellow added back to the tail logo? Otherwise, just paint the entire airplane white as it will save even more money AND will look just as good as the new livery.

The yellow also helps make the aircraft look German. Obviously yellow is only one color on the German flag, but Germany is one of a very few amount of countries with Yellow in more than just a logo on the flag. PyeongChang, the German sleds were yellow. The new livery does not represent Germany in the slightest, which the airline is the national flag carrier. If I were an ignorant tourist at an airport and a new LH went by, I’d have no idea where the jet came from or is going. Flag carriers should represent their country in some way.
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.

PA110

Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:00 pm

1. Airline: Updates or launches new branding.
2. A.Nutters: Hate it! Love it! Meh.
3. Average Public: <crickets>
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

DominikR83

Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:47 am

QXAS wrote:
AAF9UA wrote:

The yellow also helps make the aircraft look German. Obviously yellow is only one color on the German flag, but Germany is one of a very few amount of countries with Yellow in more than just a logo on the flag. PyeongChang, the German sleds were yellow. The new livery does not represent Germany in the slightest, which the airline is the national flag carrier. If I were an ignorant tourist at an airport and a new LH went by, I’d have no idea where the jet came from or is going. Flag carriers should represent their country in some way.

I don`t think that any private carrier must represent its country colorwise.
If it is an airline operated and/or owned by the government than we can talk about it.But as long as it is a private company it can do whatever it wants.
I totally agree that the new livery should have some yellow in it,because it is the signature colour of LH but NOT because this color is in the german flag as well.I also don`t think that LH ever thought of that yellow representing the german colours.
Many people around the world immediately identified the planes as an LH one because of the blue with the yellow logo but for sure not becaause they know that the german flag as a quite big yellow part in it.

Braybuddy

Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:29 am

DominikR83 wrote:
Many people around the world immediately identified the planes as an LH one because of the blue with the yellow logo but for sure not becaause they know that the german flag as a quite big yellow part in it.

From a distance the blue/yellow tail can be confused with Ryanair, which I don't think is an image Lufthansa wants to project.

Flying Belgian

Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:40 am

oldannyboy wrote:
Goodyear wrote:

The sad part is, the individual who was responsible for this horrendous rebrand probably got promoted. This is probably the ugliest A350 out there. What a sad, missed opportunity.

It is. It's ugly as hell. Drab, sad, uninspiring.

Remember: it's always the bad ones making career progress. It's the 'yes men' applying the concepts that management wants and that nobody likes.

Could not agree more, it's just UGLY.
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

seabiscuit

Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:57 pm

LH colors have are plain but simple.
Seabiscuit

seabiscuit

Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:58 pm

PA110 wrote:

Perfect summary
Seabiscuit

Planeflyer

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:42 pm

What is LH trying to achieve moving away from a color scheme that is associated w their brand( which is very good).

Are they trying to reach past their current audience?

Planeflyer

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:43 pm

What is LH trying to achieve moving away from a color scheme that is associated w their brand( which is very good).

Are they trying to reach past their current audience?

PA110

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:59 pm

columba

Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:38 pm

what I really don´t like about the new livery is that you can hardly see the crane. I don´t think the new blue will help that either.
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

CBBW

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:08 pm

The fact that so many people on a site ostensibly peopled by adults go apoplectic about airline liveries as genuinely bizarre, IMO.

whisperjet727

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:18 pm

Maybe it’s that airlines have finally realized liveries and or designer uniforms don’t affect ticket sales.

HHScot

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:19 pm

CBBW wrote:
The fact that so many people on a site ostensibly peopled by adults go apoplectic about airline liveries as genuinely bizarre, IMO.

Couldn't agree more! The average passenger doesn't give too hoots about the livery. As long as overall the livery is professional there'll be no negative effects. Airlines look out for their passengers not plane spotters!
The livery might be "boring" but it is "professional" and that's what matters to Lufty.

However, if I can become a "spotter" for a few seconds I must say that the new livery looks better at night. When I arrived at HAM the other evening there were two A320s next to each other: one old livery and one new one. Under the nighttime flood lights the new livery seemed significantly more modern and better than the old one. The logo on the tail looks better as it, strangely enough, stood out better.

LHUSA

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:31 pm

PA110 wrote:

I would tend to agree, but looking at LH's latest Facebook post about the livery change, every single comment was negative - almost all of them highly dissapointed and wanting the yellow to come back. I would think there would be a lot more of the 'Average Public' on LH's facebook page (at least compared to a.net).

The new livery has oddly grown on me a bit, but only on the 748. I think the A321 and A350 look sad and effortless. (not an A vs. B thing for me)

TurboJet707

Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:14 pm

AAF9UA wrote:
Otherwise, just paint the entire airplane white as it will save even more money AND will look just as good as the new livery.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

From a few hundred feet away, you can't discern the new crane logo anymore and the blue will look like black. Nothing to identify the plane as LH anymore. Just an anonymous black and white interim paintjob. If that is 'fresh, modern and business-like', so be it: why bother with liveries, just paint your planes all-white. You can save on paint and don't need to pay expensive design agencies.

To me the new livery is more or less OK on the 747-8 and MD11, but on the A320, A350 and CRJ with their relatively small tail sections, the balance is gone, it's just white, white, white: way too anonymous.

The AF livery has even more white, but for some reason it works better, more balanced, perhaps because of the third colour and the 'hippocampe ailé' logos on the engines.

On a side note: it's interesting to see what trick the old grey belly did, on the comparison pictures in the opening post, the plane with the old livery looks much sleeker. It accentuated the horizontal lines of the aircraft. Yes, those old cheatlines were there for a reason ;)

VC10er

Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:22 pm

The fact LH unveiled the new identity as a foreshortened, rear view of their 748i was no accident- it looks best on her. It was also probably “airbrushed” (as my mother would say) to look even better.
I’m sitting on an Avianca Brasil A320 right this moment at GIG. Between Avianca, Old TAM, LATAM and GOL, lots of red and orange everywhere- there is a bizarre sameness that mushes the brands together. In the distance is AA and UA, they stand out...like them or not

trauha

Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:05 pm

Not only is the lack of yellow a pity, but changing the font style on the lettering is clumsy. The previous little twists on the feet of the letter 'a' were a subtle elegant curve on an otherwise simple font. Now those feet are just clumsy boxy. Cheap like no yellow. In things style there should always be little surprises. Now no more. :-/ With phone screen resolutions improving all the time, I do not believe their excuse that digital screens could not handle that cute little curve.
DC3, CONVAIR CV440, Sud Aviation Caravelle, BOAC VC10,Convair Coronado,BAE 1-11,Vickers Viscount. Pan Am 707 747, Saab 340 2000,TWA Lockheed TriStar, DC-8,9,10, MD11. 727,757,767.SHORT 330, CRJ200, ERJ145, E190. F27, A340-600. Atr42 72.

FlyingHamster33

Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:31 pm

N766UA wrote:
Firstly, LH's old livery was boring as hell, too. Anyone who calls it classic or beautiful is delusional, because it's straight-up, old school Eurowhite. Secondly, the A350 is an ugly airplane, with a short snout, goofy space shuttle windows, narrow, blocky tail, and chicken legs. It does nobody's livery favors. Finally, this livery is pretty boring and uninspired. They could have added something more to it, if only a yellow crane, and it'd be much improved.

Perfect description of the B757 in my eyes, so beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder!

tommy1808

Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:16 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
Much nicer that the stale old yellow/blue combination. It's minimalist for sure, but elegant and very smart. I love the way the blue on the tail stops short of the leading edge.

:checkmark:
When I heard LH gets a new design, I was scared. I am still blind from the sunylow belly they tried on an A300 or 310 some time in the 80s iirc.

But this is great. A touch of classical yellow at the door, very clean, simple and in deed smart.

They are probably just 5 to 10 years ahead of the curve, but get used to it, it is the future of aircraft livere.

The old one was classic, but it did look somewhat dated.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Braybuddy

Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:01 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
When I heard LH gets a new design, I was scared. I am still blind from the sunylow belly they tried on an A300 or 310 some time in the 80s iirc.

But this is great. A touch of classical yellow at the door, very clean, simple and in deed smart.

They are probably just 5 to 10 years ahead of the curve, but get used to it, it is the future of aircraft livere.

The old one was classic, but it did look somewhat dated.

And it looks SO dated now when you see the two side by side. It's had its day, so time to move on, although I'm still amazed that they made such a leap. I didn't think it was in their DNA, which is part of the reason I'm so delighted with this change. Lufthansa has really sharpened its image with this bold move.

lollomz

Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:38 am

Beautiful plane, orrible livery! AMEN
[url="http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/collection/Lollomz"]Image[/url]

B595

Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:50 pm

The new LH scheme is essentially the Tradewinds Cargo scheme without the cheatline:

Apparently Tradewinds Cargo was far ahead of its time in terms of "upmarket sophistication".

questions wrote:
B595 wrote:
“Hideous” was apropos for AA’s new scheme when it came out.

What about now?

It's grown on me - from hideous to simply garish. But I have to admit the new AA scheme is very recognizable from long distances, in the same way that the Southwest scheme is. So if recognizability, rather than style, was the designers' objective, they nailed it.

The new LH scheme, meanwhile, will be confused with the likes of Tradewinds Cargo from a distance.

questions

Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:11 pm

B595 wrote:
It's grown on me - from hideous to simply garish. But I have to admit the new AA scheme is very recognizable from long distances, in the same way that the Southwest scheme is.

AA would look a lot better if the dull battleship gray were lighter and with a bit of silver metallic in it.

WN looks good although I wish they would add an orange stripe on the tail — red, orange and yellow have been a part of the livery for decades.

TC957

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:27 am

LH should have done something like Air Belgium has with their A340's....That looks fab in the national colours done that way.

TurboJet707

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:12 pm

tommy1808 wrote:

If we think the new LH livery is 'fresh and modern' in 2018, the future of liveries, imagine what a shockwave this DC9 must have caused 26 years ago:

This fresh and modern livery must have looked like something from outer space in 1992... :stirthepot: :duck:

tommy1808

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:53 pm

TurboJet707 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

If we think the new LH livery is 'fresh and modern' in 2018, the future of liveries, imagine what a shockwave this DC9 must have caused 26 years ago: :

fashion usually has a one generation cycle, 25 years....

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

flyptk

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:02 pm

Has there ever been a livery change that everyone on a-net has not trashed?

NickWebb

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:32 pm

MesserJ wrote:
Such a pointless livery change. The old one looked good on pretty much any aircraft.

It's not just a livery change, it's an entire brand refresh, the aircraft are not the main concern in this process...
[photoid][/photoid]/Users/nickwebb/Desktop/FullSizeRender.jpg

NickWebb

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:38 pm

TC957 wrote:
LH should have done something like Air Belgium has with their A340's....That looks fab in the national colours done that way.

Air Belgium is the ultimate in 'Crass' terribly old fashioned name and awful use of the national colours - ditto Air Italy!

NickWebb

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:48 pm

QXAS wrote:
AAF9UA wrote:

Were Pan Am, TWA and United red white and blue? KLM, Qantas, Air New Zealand? was Sabena red, yellow and black, Varig green and yellow??

slowrambler

Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:00 pm

NickWebb wrote:
MesserJ wrote:

It's not just a livery change, it's an entire brand refresh, the aircraft are not the main concern in this process...

If the aircraft are such a minor part of a branding concept, they could have avoided changing them at all.

I'm not a design expert, but IMO if the branding argument is that consistency with smartwatch screens should drive how you paint an aircraft, you've probably gone a bit far.

seahawk

Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:06 pm

For obvious historic reasons very few people in Germany would cherish Lufthansa deciding to go the patriotic way. In the end it was exactly the distance to the government that made certain that the Lufthansa name was not burned after WW2.

QXAS

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:00 pm

NickWebb wrote:
QXAS wrote:
AAF9UA wrote:

Were Pan Am, TWA and United red white and blue? KLM, Qantas, Air New Zealand? was Sabena red, yellow and black, Varig green and yellow??

Your first three examples aren’t flag carriers. However there for a while, UA was in fact red white and blue, and PA and TW each had two of them covered. KLM is literally branded as Royal Dutch Airlines. For Qantas the Roo is so obviously Australian. NZ’s Koru is representative of its home country. You got me on Sabena. Varig for much of its history was branded as Varig Brazil and had a large Brazilian flag plastered on the side that wasn’t simply for the registration.
I understand what people are saying about the company avoiding being patriotic for historical reasons and all of that, but does every ounce of National pride have to be considered racist and regressive in Europe? Have each member of the EU lost its indivisuality? Obviously each country still has individuality. So why should an LH plane look like a generic second hand freighter company operating on a tight budget so they paint the tail black and call it good?
I’m not asking for Red Black and a swastika on the tail. Please, if an ounce of being willing to show where your home is, being proud of where you come from means starting a world war in Germany, I don’t think you understand what I’m trying to say. LH should not do an AA with the German flag. We’re on the same page there. But the carrier needs something. The crane is iconic, but now you can’t see it from more than a little ways away.
The new LH just doesn’t look German to me, and maybe that was the goal. If Germans don’t want to be German anymore for whatever reason I can respect that, and if I’ve offended anyone over the sensitive subject that is nationalism I apologize.

glideslope

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:30 pm

There needs to be a petition started to return yellow on the vertical stab at least. The rest can stay. Just put the Yellow Condor back on for the love of Pete !!! It's iconic.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.” Sun Tzu

richiemo

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:53 pm

Only Air Canada did worse. They took the most beautiful and unique livery ever and turned it into utter garbage (black, red and white????). But Lufthansa had one of the great under-stated liveries ever. they proved that there is beauty in simpleness. But this new livery isn't just simple. It's devoid of any charm, character or initiative. Nobody will know what it is unless you're right up next to it. When in the past, you could spot Lufthansa grace from miles away. This is just change for the sake of change. No other reason. Terrible and incredibly disappointing.

AWACSooner

Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:00 pm

bpat777 wrote:
Yes I have to agree with you about the ugliest A350 out there. Shame because the A350 is such an amazing looking aircraft.

Disagree on the latter...agree on the former. This LH change was almost as bad as AA's new scheme from the old bare metal. They both effed up a good thing.

PM

Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:16 pm

PA110 wrote:

What a load of bollocks.

TC957

Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:35 pm

There are some smart " Eurowhite " designs that make it fairly obvious that they are a national carrier airline. SA ,LX and QF springs to mind, TG, EK also....NZ looks like it's only from New Zealand and the new AA livery looks, well, very American. People will recognize the country they're from without the titles on the airframe.
But LH ?? Who will look at that new design and instantly recognize it as German, without seeing the name ? It's as if LH are embarrassed to represent Germany to the world and want the airline to remain anonymous.

PA110

Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:45 am

PM wrote:
PA110 wrote:

What a load of bollocks.

Well, that's a helpful contribution to the discussion, isn't it? The link provided is a serious top to bottom examination of the corporate brand refresh by serious identity and design professionals. Your qualifications are... what, exactly?

HI442ct

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:26 am

Got to agree the older livery was a classic, new livery looks a little off especially on the A350 and it's rather disproportionately small tail. Just my .02 cents.
Worked with
B707/727/737/747/757/767
DC8/DC10/MD11/MD80/
A300/L1011/A320/ATR42

VC10er

Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:55 am

Gang; it’s ALL subjective! No one person can say one livery design is unilaterally bad and there is no room for someone else who loves it.
As for VARIG, as I was sort of part of it, at the time of the first big refresh VARIG was the unquestionable national airline of Brasil. Not “official” but in spirit. International consumer research revealed a much larger amount of people didn’t know what country VARIG was from than was thought. Some people asked “what’s a VARIG?”
So we added the Braz/sil script. Also, we retained the compass as a nod to the days (Vasco de Gama days) when the Portuguese were considered the world’s best navigators - but the old one didn’t really look like a compass unless you took a very close look. At the time it looked very similar to Citibank. They wanted the livery to be VERY Brazilian, but not yellow and green, so we did yellow and blue. We also leveraged the famous Brazilian sun by making the compass as bright shades of yellow.
The final design was selected by the Foundation that owned and ran VARIG, no consumer validation. Aside from a few cynical local designers who were angry that a US agency had done the design, and who said the Bras/zil script looked like Arabic- it was wildly loved by the Brazilian people and VARIG passengers.
So, while some may have hated it (and some of those voices were printed in the press) design is subjective- however from a business standpoint it was very effective...ultimately though it could not overcome the financial and government problems RG had and sadly liquidated.
Last point: VARIG was born in Southern Brasil, in an area that had been settled by Germans long before there was even flight. The fact that the new livery recalled the iconic Lufthansa was a huge plus.
As of today that would no longer be the case as the baby was just tossed out with the bath water.
Lufthansa could have EASILY kept the yellow circle on the tail AND refreshed it in a way that would have made more people happy than there are today with this new livery.
My friends in Germany are simply aghast at this new livery.
Same way I almost DIED when I saw the new AA eagle. I couldn’t care less about the American flag tail decoration- but the new eagle thing is IMHO horrendous. There was no reason to change the iconic AA eagle, none, it was fine. Timeless and recalled AA’s long and impressive role in aviation.
It was like the tulip dying to me.
“If it ain’t broke...”

ariis

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:58 am

Honestly speaking I don't like this new design too, but as has been said a hundred times here, it's a matter of personal taste.

PA110 wrote:

As pointed out in the great analysis, what is missing most is the yellow.

As was mentioned in the official introduction, on the portboard side there is this small yellow welcome box beside door L1. I find it both intriguing and amusing how much potential this small box actually holds. Would they only put it on starboard side too and would they made it a bit larger (or longer? Not homeopathic size like it is now), I think the livery seen from the distance would notably improve.

Currently it is most noticeable on smallest RJs due to the relative size.

FAO - Flight Activities Officer

NickWebb

Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:52 pm

TC957 wrote:
There are some smart " Eurowhite " designs that make it fairly obvious that they are a national carrier airline. SA ,LX and QF springs to mind, TG, EK also....NZ looks like it's only from New Zealand and the new AA livery looks, well, very American. People will recognize the country they're from without the titles on the airframe.
But LH ?? Who will look at that new design and instantly recognize it as German, without seeing the name ? It's as if LH are embarrassed to represent Germany to the world and want the airline to remain anonymous.

Does a yellow spot on the tail make it instantly recognisable as 'German' ?? I don't think so...

NickWebb

Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:55 pm

glideslope wrote:
There needs to be a petition started to return yellow on the vertical stab at least. The rest can stay. Just put the Yellow Condor back on for the love of Pete !!! It's iconic.

FYI it's not a Condor it's a crane and it has aways been blue (on a yellow background)!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos