Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
AntonioMartin
Topic Author
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:58 am

When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:10 am

I was just wondering, being that there is a market and that, many US airlines are already flying between the two countries...

I ask this also considering the Trump administration's political and economic moves.

When are we finally going to see Cubana planes in the United States and by extension, Puerto Rico?

And apart from MIA, NYC and SJU what other cities have prospects of seeing Cubana's beautiful livery landing at their airport?
Last edited by atcsundevil on Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title
 
User avatar
LTU932
Posts: 13725
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:34 am

Re: So........when will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:41 pm

I believe there is also another issue, that is of legal nature that, even if they were allowed again, it would keep them from flying to the US: Weren't there claims by Cuban exiles in the US that could force CU aircraft to be seized? Something with their expropriation after the Cuban revolution, not to mention perhaps the seizure of US assets in Cuba being another reason.
Last edited by LTU932 on Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208
 
Thenoflyzone
Posts: 3127
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2001 4:42 am

Re: So........when will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:41 pm

They have a leased fleet of 4 A320s and 1 A319 from Avion Express. They also have 1 leased B734 from Blue Panorama. Not much to go on, considering they already use these aircraft to fly domestically, as well as to YUL, YYZ, MEX, CUN, CCS, SDQ, BOG, FDF, PTP, etc

They would need to lease more frames to start any meaningful service to the US.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!
 
axiom
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: So........when will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:19 pm

Why would they? In the context of the Cuban political economy, US carriers do the job: they bring tourists and Cuban famileis and their wealth.

That said, the answer to where they might fly can be found in the only US gateways that have had consistent success so far: MIA/FLL, TPA, and to a lesser extent NYC.
 
aaflyer222
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Re: So........when will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:32 pm

not anytime in the near future. there is not much demand at all.
74m, 772, 763, 764, 752, 733, 734, 738, 739, a319, a320, a321, s80, m88, m90, e190, e170, e175, e140, e145, cr2, cr7, cr9, dh1, dh3, dh4, at72, s340
 
MO11
Posts: 1833
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: So........when will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:55 pm

Cubana doesn't have DOT or FAA authority. Neither does Avion Express.
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 6494
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: So........when will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:07 pm

I love the aircraft graveyard that they have at their hanger in Havana. Like 15 aircraft with all parts missing. Good luck getting FAA certified.

Whatever your political views on Cuba and the United States, There is an over capacity there right now.
 
dcajet
Posts: 5028
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:35 pm

Any Cubana plane coming to the US as a commercial service can be seized by the US courts as part of a longstanding dispute in the US legal system by Cuban émigrés that in turn, had their assets in Cuba seized by the Cuban revolutionary government.

Nothing will change until there is a real change of government in Cuba.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
User avatar
reffado
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:47 am

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:36 pm

I know it won't happen, but it would be great to see their IL96 stateside.

At one point, IIRC, they even had a Plus Ultra A343 operating flights for them (obviously not to the US, though).
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 10904
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: So........when will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:39 pm

Ok, as far as I am aware access is reciprocal, if US carriers can fly to Cuba, Cuban carriers can fly to the USA, I cannot believe that the US and Cuban Governments would sign agreements which allow US carriers but decline Cuban carriers access because Cuban exiles have state lawsuits against the Cuban government and would hold a/c for compensation on landing on US soil. International trade is the domain of the Federal government, if the local state authorities hold a Cubana airline
it would be the Feds responsibility to get the a/c released.
In a country that is in dire need for international currency, why would they allow US carriers to take all business flying to the US and leave none for themselves, they may as well have included negotiations with Canadian or some other country carriers to operate their routes into the US as a part of this opening or thawing of relations. Decades ago, Air Jamaica operated a Nassau to Chicago route on behalf of Bahamas Air using DC-8 sourced from Air Canada when they assisted in setting up Air Jamaica long haul fleet, so it can be done.
 
VSMUT
Posts: 5497
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: So........when will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:39 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
I love the aircraft graveyard that they have at their hanger in Havana. Like 15 aircraft with all parts missing. Good luck getting FAA certified.


Why would having 15 aircraft grounded in a hangar be an impediment to getting permission to fly to the US? IMHO, it would be far more worrying if those same aircraft weren't grounded, but actually flying about with known issues. That they willingly grounded part of their fleet is a good sign.


dcajet wrote:
Nothing will change until there is a real change of government in Cuba.


But lets be honest, no new government, not even a liberal/democratic/pro-western/capitalist one, is ever going to give back the exiles what they had taken from them/left behind 60 years ago. This issue won't be resolved until the exiles are dead or they get back their properties. The latter will never happen, because the same properties have been inhabited by tons of other people ever since, all of whom will rightfully claim that they have legal possession of the property too.
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 10904
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:56 pm

Tell that to Haiti, the French Government maintained their claim for losses done when they were first liberated from colonial rule for decades maybe even a century.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... iti-france
 
dcajet
Posts: 5028
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:43 pm

A good number of people behind the iron curtain were able to get back their families' properties once communism fell.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
Skywatcher
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:19 am

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:49 pm

Wasn't there any U.S. located Cuban assets seized by the U.S. government in 1959? Usually it works both ways like with Iran etc. but of course we never hear about that bit. As much as I sympathize with the Cuban diaspora didn't they choose to leave? The whole situation seems very one sided to me-Cubana should be allowed to fly to MIA/TPA/JFK. They fly to Canada every day without any issues.
 
DeSpringbokke
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:27 am

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:22 pm

When the Communist Party of Cuba no longer controls the island.
 
bzcat
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:39 pm

Does Cubana want to fly to the US? Starting operation in another country involves lots of logistic and costs.Cubana may not have enough access to foreign currency to actually pay for ground handling in MIA for example.

Aren't we jumping the gun here asking when?
 
DDR
Posts: 1738
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:09 pm

Re: So........when will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:43 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
They have a leased fleet of 4 A320s and 1 A319 from Avion Express. They also have 1 leased B734 from Blue Panorama. Not much to go on, considering they already use these aircraft to fly domestically, as well as to YUL, YYZ, MEX, CUN, CCS, SDQ, BOG, FDF, PTP, etc

They would need to lease more frames to start any meaningful service to the US.


So has Cubana stopped all their flying to Europe? Didn't they used to fly the IL-62 to somewhere in Europe?
 
dcajet
Posts: 5028
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: So........when will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:22 pm

DDR wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:
They have a leased fleet of 4 A320s and 1 A319 from Avion Express. They also have 1 leased B734 from Blue Panorama. Not much to go on, considering they already use these aircraft to fly domestically, as well as to YUL, YYZ, MEX, CUN, CCS, SDQ, BOG, FDF, PTP, etc

They would need to lease more frames to start any meaningful service to the US.


So has Cubana stopped all their flying to Europe? Didn't they used to fly the IL-62 to somewhere in Europe?


CU has 2 IL-96s (CU-T1250/51) that were just overhauled by VASO in Voronezh, Russia. They still deploy them to EZE, MAD & ORY. Occasionally they get supplemented by wet-leased PU's A340-300s. Those IL-96s seem not to be the most reliable birds. They also are deployed when high level Cuban officials travel, as well as being the presidential plane for Cuba's very own colony/satellite, Venezuela. When Maduro travels, only Cubana will do.

The IL-62s have long been gone from CU's fleet; couple of years at the very least.

Here's a thread that follows those two CU birds: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1365021
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
User avatar
Melbourne
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:17 am

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:38 am

The last time CU aircraft have landed at a US airport was not that long back in 2015 at KSWF - New York for a UN meeting, an Antonov An-150 and Ilyushin Il-96-300 were parked side by side. Would've been an interesting sight.

 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:12 am

reffado wrote:
I know it won't happen, but it would be great to see their IL96 stateside.

At one point, IIRC, they even had a Plus Ultra A343 operating flights for them (obviously not to the US, though).


Three years ago at JFK...I got CU-T1250 here on my second try during UN Week. I missed the Antonov 148.

That said, other than official business, I cannot see such being started on their own metal. It would have to be leased from someone else, like Sunwing, and likely FLL and JFK are the destinations that would work, daily for FLL and likely 2x weekly to JFK.
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15852
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:03 am

When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Around the same time they can guarantee the crew won't abandon the aircraft and seek asylum in the U.S.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 6494
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: So........when will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:26 am

VSMUT wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
I love the aircraft graveyard that they have at their hanger in Havana. Like 15 aircraft with all parts missing. Good luck getting FAA certified.


Why would having 15 aircraft grounded in a hangar be an impediment to getting permission to fly to the US? IMHO, it would be far more worrying if those same aircraft weren't grounded, but actually flying about with known issues. That they willingly grounded part of their fleet is a good sign.


dcajet wrote:
Nothing will change until there is a real change of government in Cuba.


But lets be honest, no new government, not even a liberal/democratic/pro-western/capitalist one, is ever going to give back the exiles what they had taken from them/left behind 60 years ago. This issue won't be resolved until the exiles are dead or they get back their properties. The latter will never happen, because the same properties have been inhabited by tons of other people ever since, all of whom will rightfully claim that they have legal possession of the property too.


Common sense that skips political correctness. I call it like I see it, sorry if that offends.

Sound airlines dont have aircraft graveyards at their main hangar to feed supplies to their few operable aircraft. Although, in fairness, the FAA has approved some questionable airlines to operate in the US in the past.
 
Apprentice
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: So........when will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:13 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
I love the aircraft graveyard that they have at their hanger in Havana. Like 15 aircraft with all parts missing. Good luck getting FAA certified.

Whatever your political views on Cuba and the United States, There is an over capacity there right now.


Hi: Difference is that Graveyard here are not on big airports, but, for instance in Opalocka. Problem is a/c recycling is not ready yet, specially in many third world countries. Been Cuba not a big country, it makes no sense to build an aerodrome just to recycle.
Before a/c are moved into that zone, they strip all parts, engines.. considered still airworthy (like in any Recycle airport). I don’t heard ever of a simple a/c written off to flew again.
Cubana flight to Europe, Latin America, etc on a daily basis. A/c are inspected by authorities, like EASA, W/o any big discrepancy yet, don’t see how it will be different flying to USA.About any legal decision to impound planes, Cubana know about.
Concerning overcapacity on US-Cuba flights, American companies bet that restrictions to fly to Cuba for american citizen were to be raised. Wrong bet. US citizen are not free to flight to Cuba and for cuban’s one, it’s not easy to receive a VISA, even as Inmigration Lawns were normalized.

I really do not see Cubana fliying to US in the near future, but don’t You worry, there will be always who to blame in Cuba.

Rgd#
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”
 
Apprentice
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:19 pm

Some times You may see well dressed yong people around those unairworthiness planes.
Before telling that they are preparing planes for flight, pay attention, they use theese planes as a Trainers
for FA Safety Course. Time to time, they even open a door emergency slide also as a training on a real planes.
Rgds
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”
 
Apprentice
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:29 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Around the same time they can guarantee the crew won't abandon the aircraft and seek asylum in the U.S.



Time to time, a Cubana airplane land is US, Special Flight to United Nations, flights coming from Europe with any techical problem, or other reasons. I do not remember about a Crew abandoned the plane in US at least from 1984

Rgds
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”
 
Aliqiout
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:28 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Around the same time they can guarantee the crew won't abandon the aircraft and seek asylum in the U.S.

I don't think that's an issue these days.
 
guyanam
Posts: 3076
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: So........when will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:45 pm

[quote="par13del"]In a country that is in dire need for international currency, why would they allow US carriers to take all business flying to the US and leave none for themselves, [quote]

This is exactly why Cuba doesn't have the slightest interest in forcing Cubana into the USA. They want more visitors from the USA and these will fly on US carriers. Few residents of Cuba will fly to the USA so the foreign exchange loss entailed by their use of US carriers will be minimal.

And you cite an interesting example. Jamaica made a choice of shutting down their airline because it was generating huge losses Since then there has been a massive increase in airlift by US carriers and Jamaica's tourist arrivals are at record levels.
 
Adipocere
Posts: 335
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:35 am

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:48 pm

Melbourne wrote:
The last time CU aircraft have landed at a US airport was not that long back in 2015 at KSWF - New York for a UN meeting, an Antonov An-150 and Ilyushin Il-96-300 were parked side by side. Would've been an interesting sight.



I wonder if there is some kind of immunity that prevents exiles having claims on Cuba through federal courts from seizing these planes when they come in on UN visits.
 
Apprentice
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:13 pm

gregn21, hello: Yes they are people ready to flight old planes, should there are well maintained. There are people who travel long distances just to catch such a flight.
But do not worry, if, Cubana will fly to US, it will be with leased metals, to avoid legal discussions. The questions is why they are not allowed to flight to US?
Rgds
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”
 
guyanam
Posts: 3076
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:26 pm

The government of Cuba will change when that of China does. In other words NEVER. At some point US policy will change though. As Trump's tariff wars restrict access for US agriculture Cuba will look even better than it already does. Allowing US visitors will increase the probability that US farmers get paid as Cuba will have the hard currency to do so.

I suggest that people look at the fact that national carriers are becoming less of a priority for emerging nations. The DR is a huge travel market and it doesn't have a national carrier. Ditto Jamaica. At some point Cuba will wonder whether Cubana is worth it.
 
Apprentice
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:04 pm

guyanam wrote:
The government of Cuba will change when that of China does. In other words NEVER. At some point US policy will change though. As Trump's tariff wars restrict access for US agriculture Cuba will look even better than it already does. Allowing US visitors will increase the probability that US farmers get paid as Cuba will have the hard currency to do so.

I suggest that people look at the fact that national carriers are becoming less of a priority for emerging nations. The DR is a huge travel market and it doesn't have a national carrier. Ditto Jamaica. At some point Cuba will wonder whether Cubana is worth it.


Hi:

FYI, Cuba is not a follower of China policies, in fact, for a long time, their relationship fell to a minimun. Two worlds, two culture.

Agree with You, changes should be started in US.

While Jamaica Air Transport model looks outstanding, it is it’s Model.It will not serve well to all countries.
As I said, Cubana have almost 80 years of operations,.........

Rgds
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”
 
armcom
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:16 pm

In October Cubana will have 89 years of flying.
 
Apprentice
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:23 pm

Adipocere: I made same question to a good friend that was in such a flight: There is a special zone, UN’s zone, where to park. This zone is protected and under UN’s “soberanity”.
And also help a subjetive factor, for a NY’s judge, is more difficult to understand how, a 1985 built russian plane may be linked to small factory or to sugar cane’s land in Cuba 1958.
Rgds
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”
 
Apprentice
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:24 pm

armcom wrote:
In October Cubana will have 89 years of flying.


Hi and sorry. Yes, You are Right. Cubana start flights in 1929.

(0 today in Mathematics)

Rgds
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”
 
burnsie28
Posts: 5304
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:49 am

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:22 am

While there are a lot of issues at play one of the biggest is as someone mentioned was Cubana doesn't meet FAA requirements. Similar to how Garuda was no longer permitted to fly to the US. Cubana flies over the US everyday on their way to Canada etc.
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 4228
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: So........when will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:08 am

jfklganyc wrote:
I love the aircraft graveyard that they have at their hanger in Havana. Like 15 aircraft with all parts missing.

Are there any pictures of that area? I love aircraft graveyards...
 
AntonioMartin
Topic Author
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:58 am

Re: So........when will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:30 am

, American companies bet that restrictions to fly to Cuba for american citizen were to be raised. Wrong bet. US citizen are not free to flight to Cuba and for cuban’s one, it’s not easy to receive a VISA, even as Inmigration Lawns were normalized.

Rgd#[/quote]
Hi!..can you rephrase that? Got me confused!
 
guyanam
Posts: 3076
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:12 am

Apprentice wrote:
guyanam wrote:
The government of Cuba will change when that of China does. In other words NEVER. At some point US policy will change though. As Trump's tariff wars restrict access for US agriculture Cuba will look even better than it already does. Allowing US visitors will increase the probability that US farmers get paid as Cuba will have the hard currency to do so.

I suggest that people look at the fact that national carriers are becoming less of a priority for emerging nations. The DR is a huge travel market and it doesn't have a national carrier. Ditto Jamaica. At some point Cuba will wonder whether Cubana is worth it.


Hi:

FYI, Cuba is not a follower of China policies, in fact, for a long time, their relationship fell to a minimun. Two worlds, two culture.

Agree with You, changes should be started in US.

While Jamaica Air Transport model looks outstanding, it is it’s Model.It will not serve well to all countries.
As I said, Cubana have almost 80 years of operations,.........

Rgds




The age of Cubana is irrelevant unless you are about to tell me that VARIG, PANAM and TWA are still flying. What % of market share does Cubana have on the routes that it flies? Cubana is in far worse shape than Air Jamaica was upon its demise. How many jet aircraft does Cubana have that are in operation? Cubana doesnt even have the planes to fly to the USA even if they wished and if US carriers are struggling to fill seats on routes outside of FL why do you think that Cubana could do so. You think that Miami Cubans are going to use an airline owned by the Castros? These still account for the vast majority of people traveling to Cuba.

In fact Cuba is using the "Jamaican model, and the DR model". Using US carriers to fly US tourists because that is more efficient than pouring money into a loss making national carrier. Have you heard Cuba threaten to end service by US carriers because Cubana isnt flying to the USA?


The irony is that the US will end the boycott when it suits its own commercial purposes and then folks like you will scream about "Evil Imperialists" even as the Castro family party in the most expensive nightclubs in NYC and have fashioned a similar world for the Cuban oligarchy right there in Havana. A drink costing what most Cubans earn in a month. The reality of Cuba is that it is a crony capitalist nation just like China, masquerading as communist only because the oligarchs want power indefinitely. And just like China this "communist" party will last for ever regardless as to whether most people living in Cuba wish it or not.

And yes I bet you think that 99.999% of the people living in Cuba love the Castro regime!
 
PanHAM
Posts: 9719
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 6:44 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:56 am

well, fact is, guyanam is right on all Counts. The air traffic to and from Cuba is mainly generated by VFR traffic from the US and Canadian/European Holidaymakers. Cubana cannot participate in both because they lack the approval of FAA ad their European Counterpart. Still, the Cubans make Money on both by the spending in hard currency. There are many ways making Money from tourism, operating an Airline may not be the smartest.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!
 
Apprentice
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:47 am

Guyanam, Good Evening. I’m disagree. The age of any company in the bussines is not irrelevant, a company may went into bankarruptcy with many years in the businnes, agree, but, must of the time is another way around. In my case, I just have to show my gratitude to al technical teachers and technical instructors to help form me while talking about experiences and know-hows learned the hard way for so many years.
I off course do not know wht will happen but, just remember how Cubana lead a competition concerning pax nbrs and cargo, when compiting to European companies, in more modern planes.
Guyanam, this is an apolitic forum, most of the times. I will not discuss about politics, none use politics as a discusuion element when I lack arguments.
Rgds
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”
 
Apprentice
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:15 am

Antonio, Good Evening and sorry for mistakes.
At the begining of USA-Cuban dialog, idea was to have full relationship between 2 goberments, but it went another way:
Since the begining of 60ties, american citizan were not allow to travel to Cuba. Several exceptions: american who get an special permit from State Department, mainly religiouses, also cientifiques, bussinesmen ...and also american, born in Cuba, to go see their family’remants.
Idea was that when relationship would be restablished, all this stops will be removed, but US still do not allow US’s citizen to travel to Cuba free and restrict visas to cuban who will like to visit her family in US. So, it was no easy for air companies to predict qty of US-Cuba-US pax / flights. At the end, less flights that predicted by economists

Rgds
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”
 
bmartino99
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri May 18, 2018 7:57 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:01 am

I just flew to Havana this past weekend on Southwest. TPA to HAV. As a US citizen all that was required was purchasing the $50 tourist card and verbally stating one of 12 reasons for visiting. No proof required.
 
guyanam
Posts: 3076
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:58 am

Apprentice wrote:
Guyanam, Good Evening. I’m disagree. The age of any company in the bussines is not irrelevant, a company may went into bankarruptcy with many years in the businnes, agree, but, must of the time is another way around. In my case, I just have to show my gratitude to al technical teachers and technical instructors to help form me while talking about experiences and know-hows learned the hard way for so many years.
I off course do not know wht will happen but, just remember how Cubana lead a competition concerning pax nbrs and cargo, when compiting to European companies, in more modern planes.
Guyanam, this is an apolitic forum, most of the times. I will not discuss about politics, none use politics as a discusuion element when I lack arguments.
Rgds



The only aviation discussion on US Cuba travel is that there are restrictions by US citizens in travel to Cuba. Any further commentary is political, including any suggestion that these restrictions are wrong and should be ended. It doesn't become politics only when the truth of Cuba is revealed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... ation_date

Look at these airlines and note that most of them no longer exist. This means that the age of an airline is irrelevant to its success. Cubana is slowly dying. I doubt that Cubana accounts for 10% of the seats into that island, so it clearly plays no meaningful role, except on a few "political" routes where market demand doesn't justify service. If Cubana ceases service to Canada that will have no impact on Canadian travel to that island as almost all of it is undertaken by Canadian carriers.

The fact that in some ancient era Cubana might have been important to that island is no longer relevant. PANAM and VARIG no longer exist. Cubana is likely to join them.
 
guyanam
Posts: 3076
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:03 am

Apprentice wrote:
Antonio, Good Evening and sorry for mistakes.
At the begining of USA-Cuban dialog, idea was to have full relationship between 2 goberments, but it went another way:
Since the begining of 60ties, american citizan were not allow to travel to Cuba. Several exceptions: american who get an special permit from State Department, mainly religiouses, also cientifiques, bussinesmen ...and also american, born in Cuba, to go see their family’remants.
Idea was that when relationship would be restablished, all this stops will be removed, but US still do not allow US’s citizen to travel to Cuba free and restrict visas to cuban who will like to visit her family in US. So, it was no easy for air companies to predict qty of US-Cuba-US pax / flights. At the end, less flights that predicted by economists

Rgds



The USA agreed to reduce travel restrictions to Cuba by US citizens based on certain actions which the Cuban gov't was encouraged to do. They didn't so I am not sure why the Cuban gov't expects travel restrictions to be lifted.

No poor country enjoys unrestricted access to the US by its citizens. Only countries with comparative levels development benefit from this so I don't understand the shock that visas are hard for Cubans to get. They are hard for people from most Caribbean countries. Unless one can prove that there is no compelling reason to attempt to remain in the USA after the visa expires then such applications are usually denied. And this has always been the case as far back as the 70s.
 
Apprentice
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:30 am

Guyanm, as I told, I don’t like to talk about this. At the end is Politics.
If a cuban citizen is invited by a relative or a parent, those have to fill an affidavit for him, and pay big money if he does not return as the visa expires. The one to came is illegaly in the country., risk to be detainee by ICE..At the same time, he lost his work in Cuba (fired) if he is more than 28 days here on a visit.
I know cases, where, Mother, Daughter were here, and father’s invitation for a short trip to see his daughter was denied. He was very upset and came through Mexican border., not anymore
Rgd
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”
 
Apprentice
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:35 am

Guyanm, again disagree. Cubana keepflying to:
-North America
- Central America
- South America
-Europe
- Africa
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”
 
Apprentice
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:37 am

Hi, our people have learn, that they can depend in Cubana, should and epidhemie , hurracan or similar hit the country.
Cubana airplanes will go were ever is needed to serch for necessarie provisions/medicines.
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”
 
Apprentice
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:42 am

Last but not least, Cubana was picked and flew our atlhetes from La Havana to Sidney for a series of flights considered difficult and in a route our pilots have not experiences at all. With very old and already no so dependable Navigation Computers.
Kudos to theses Crew
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”
 
guyanam
Posts: 3076
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:17 pm

Apprentice wrote:
Guyanm, again disagree. Cubana keepflying to:
-North America
- Central America
- South America
-Europe
- Africa



And what % of them use Cubana when they do so? Many are now flying to Guyana to shop for cheap Chinese products like panties and to apply for US visas. They are NOT using Cubana even though 700 fly per week. Of course they head to Guyana because it is one of the few which doesn't demand visas of them and some are now seeking to illegally remain there.
 
Apprentice
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: When will Cubana finally start flying to the United States?

Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:44 am

Guyanm: Good Morning. one problem in this kind of forum is to find some one who compre Apple to apple and...
It is not fare to compare Cuba and USA, concerning pax, routes etc.
Please use more similaries comparation, with Republica Dominicana, Haity, Jamaica....
Rgds
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos