Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Cathay Pacific ends skirts-only rule for female staff

Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:06 pm

But it could take three years to happen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43593147
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

DesertFlyer

Re: Cathay Pacific ends skirts-only rule for female staff

Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:15 pm

I applaud them on finally coming into the 21st century where women can look polished and professional in pants or a skirt. They should move a bit quicker implementing a pant option, though.

Noise

Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:28 pm

That's a shame.

questions

Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:38 pm

I think this is a practical option given the job. However I hope CX does not also adopt the boxy housecoat option seen on a lot of US carrier FAs.

smi0006

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:37 pm

Noise wrote:
That's a shame.

Why is that a shame?! Pathetic.

Finally CX joins the rest of the world. I wonder if we’ll ever see SQ, GA, D7 or MH etc do the same?

JannEejit

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:49 pm

smi0006 wrote:
Noise wrote:
That's a shame.

Finally CX joins the rest of the world. I wonder if we’ll ever see SQ, GA, D7 or MH etc do the same?

I prefer the more feminine look of the classic skirt and fitted jacket. No not in some boorish, male chauvinistic, sexist way, so please don't respond in that way. I find it to be a more elegant and timeless look than trousers. But it's entirely the choice of the flight attendant and I have no qualms with that.

Noise

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:52 pm

smi0006 wrote:
Noise wrote:
That's a shame.

Oh God please no!

Noise

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:53 pm

JannEejit wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
Noise wrote:
That's a shame.

I prefer the more feminine look of the classic skirt and fitted jacket. No not in some boorish, male chauvinistic, sexist way, so please don't respond in that way. I find it to be a more elegant and timeless look than trousers.

Yes, I completely agree.

zeke

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:53 pm

I think this came about from KA not CX, KA currently have one piece dresses.

This will probably require a totally new uniform for both airlines as the red pants with the white blouse looks hideous. Some ground staff already wear it.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

DWC

Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:51 pm

Actually it is such a ridiculous move to Unisex garment that people see it no more.
FA have been wearing dresses since the inception of commercial airlines without much problems save for the occasional perverts.

If Equality were the problem, why shouldn't pilots & male FA wear dresses instead ?
Or change whole swaths of ethnic costumes à la AI, GA, TG, SQ to the unimpressive tasteless & dull pants ?

Sorry for the rant, but some of the comments are so conventional, "sans savoir vivre" ! ;)

RetroRoo

Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:43 am

DWC wrote:
Actually it is such a ridiculous move to Unisex garment that people see it no more.
FA have been wearing dresses since the inception of commercial airlines without much problems save for the occasional perverts.

Occasional? People have ultimate responsibility for their behaviour, but when you carry the objectification of women in the airline industry forward into the 21st century it deserves to be called out. Let professional cabin crew wear skirts or pants, just as they do in the military (which is where all this started, let's be honest).

Not to say CX has been objectifying women, there are serious offenders out there with non-safety minded physical requirements, and don't even get me started on the Singapore "girl".

DWC wrote:
If Equality were the problem, why shouldn't pilots & male FA wear dresses instead ?
Or change whole swaths of ethnic costumes à la AI, GA, TG, SQ to the unimpressive tasteless & dull pants ?

I don't have a problem with pilots or cabin crew of any gender wearing whichever uniform they wish. Does it bother you? And nobody said pants have to be boring.

LMFNINJA

Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:49 am

DesertFlyer wrote:
I applaud them on finally coming into the 21st century where women can look polished and professional in pants or a skirt. They should move a bit quicker implementing a pant option, though.

Disagree wholeheartedly. Nothing "polished and professional" about a woman in pants. Pants are for men and not women.

smi0006

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:01 am

Noise wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

I prefer the more feminine look of the classic skirt and fitted jacket. No not in some boorish, male chauvinistic, sexist way, so please don't respond in that way. I find it to be a more elegant and timeless look than trousers.

Yes, I completely agree.

That’s nice you prefer that - but I assume you’re both men. But why should CX/KA be required to meet your opinions on ‘timeless & elegant’ or equally feminine? They are uniformed professional, as the Union highlights they aren’t comfortable in the garments. And they should be give the choice! This isn’t about your preference - as the ones wearing the uniform it’s their preference that counts.

DWC

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:40 am

smi0006 wrote:
That’s nice you prefer that - but I assume you’re both men. But why should CX/KA be required to meet your opinions on ‘timeless & elegant’ or equally feminine? They are uniformed professional, as the Union highlights they aren’t comfortable in the garments. And they should be give the choice! This isn’t about your preference - as the ones wearing the uniform it’s their preference that counts.

No. It is not the Army with uniform thought ( pun intended ) & sheepish behaviour.
Commercial airlines are a SERVICE & one that links not only men & women, but also cultures across the world.
If you appreciate quality & service, then you should appreciate cultural & gender differences.

I agree with you every FA should feel comfortable in their uniform, but then female FA are taught to behave like men & have uniform ideals.
Even EK came up with a suprisingly feminine uniform ( there also is a trousers variant ).
It also adds some glamour & a sobering savoir-vivre up in the air.

Judge1310

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:50 am

Noise wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

Yes, I completely agree.

Trying to stay completely civil here, but...

You do realise that your statements reek of being boorish, male chauvinistic, and sexist eh? I would also venture to guess that those who think similarly have never performed in that position. It's antiquated oafs that think things like "but where are my sexy and lithe girls to serve me?" Let's keep this simple: imagine having to stand at a boarding door greeting customers, in shorts and flip flops (because heels don't cover much), at 0545h in January in, oh I don't know, anywhere that has a frigid winter.

That sort of lot of people make me sick. And a lot of them will be the same ones to armchair CEO an operation that is FAR too complicated for them to comprehend. Sorry, but there has been far too much tomfoolery on this board as of late...

PayaLebar

Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:32 am

smi0006 wrote:
I wonder if we’ll ever see SQ, GA, D7 or MH etc do the same?

The female FAs of SQ, GA & MH are all donning their national attire - the 'sarong kebaya'. Nothing sexist about it.

Kashmon

Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:15 am

Judge1310 wrote:
Noise wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

Yes, I completely agree.

Trying to stay completely civil here, but...

You do realise that your statements reek of being boorish, male chauvinistic, and sexist eh? I would also venture to guess that those who think similarly have never performed in that position. It's antiquated oafs that think things like "but where are my sexy and lithe girls to serve me?" Let's keep this simple: imagine having to stand at a boarding door greeting customers, in shorts and flip flops (because heels don't cover much), at 0545h in January in, oh I don't know, anywhere that has a frigid winter.

That sort of lot of people make me sick. And a lot of them will be the same ones to armchair CEO an operation that is FAR too complicated for them to comprehend. Sorry, but there has been far too much tomfoolery on this board as of late...

sexist?

Male pilots at CX are held to ridiculous grooming and uniform standards as well

one pilot was FIRED for wearing his tie the wrong way....

this has nothing to do with sexism- its a uniform protocol - if the women do not like wearing skirts- they should leave the airline or transfer to another department...

Also CX is just playing the media, no uniform change at CX for at least 5 years anyway even though they claim

If men started complaining at the same rate about tiny silly things that SOME women complain about people would mock the men.

I think the women should be treated the same and be mocked as well.

Kashmon

Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:19 am

smi0006 wrote:
Noise wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

Yes, I completely agree.

Ugh

CX/KA itself required this.... they require their female staff to look feminine

what next
STRIKE- Making female staff comb their hair is sexist
- making female staff have a bath before work is sexist
making female staff iron their clothes is sexist
-expecting female staff to look feminine is sexist....

Millennial's are hilarious

no wonder American FA's look like butch hairy grandma's
so much PC nonsense

if male pilots/fa's start striking about wearing hats and ties, no one would care...
is it not sexist that a male FA must have a life threatening noose around his neck at all times but a female has freedom around her neck?!!!

questions

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:04 am

VA and VS female FAs are skirts only also... at least that I have seen.

smi0006

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:11 am

questions wrote:
VA and VS female FAs are skirts only also... at least that I have seen.

Nope VA wear pants. Virgin Samoa actually offer male attendants a lava lava as a uniform a form of male skirt.

planemanofnz

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:21 am

smi0006 wrote:
Virgin Samoa actually offer male attendants a lava lava as a uniform a form of male skirt.

Eh, Virgin Samoa doesn't exist anymore - do you mean Samoa Airways?

Cheers,

C.

smi0006

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:25 am

Kashmon wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
Noise wrote:

Yes, I completely agree.

what next

so much PC nonsense

if male pilots/fa's start striking about wearing hats and ties, no one would care...
is it not sexist that a male FA must have a life threatening noose around his neck at all times but a female has freedom around her neck?!!!

PC nonsense spoken like a true male self righteous that the world shouldn’t change.

I’m quiet happy if my professionally presented my crew male or female wear pants, skirts, dresses, scarfs or ties. So long as the conduct themself professionally in safety and service. I don’t judge people against their need to look feminine or masculine.

I look forward to the day when such ideas of your generation finally die out and we can focus on people by their values and actions.

smi0006

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:28 am

[photoid][/photoid]
planemanofnz wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
Virgin Samoa actually offer male attendants a lava lava as a uniform a form of male skirt.

Eh, Virgin Samoa doesn't exist anymore - do you mean Samoa Airways?

Cheers,

C.

Sorry quiet right - when they did exist, they were offered to crew flying on the APW route ex-NZ not sure where they were based. No idea if Samoa Airways offer them.

Jetty

Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:06 am

From my experience CX cabin crew look good enough to still be attractive wearing pants. UA on the other side should revert to a miniskirt-only policy.

juliuswong

Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:13 am

Just for FYI, AirAsia X has long red pants option for female cabin crew, to be used on Tehran and Jeddah flight. Come with hijab/ headscarves to observe local custom.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

Kashmon

Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:56 am

smi0006 wrote:
Kashmon wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

what next

so much PC nonsense

PC nonsense spoken like a true male self righteous that the world shouldn’t change.

I’m quiet happy if my professionally presented my crew male or female wear pants, skirts, dresses, scarfs or ties. So long as the conduct themself professionally in safety and service. I don’t judge people against their need to look feminine or masculine.

I look forward to the day when such ideas of your generation finally die out and we can focus on people by their values and actions.

actually once your PC crowd takes full control and everyone is made to look ugly and there are no professional standard
people will yearn for the Good old days...
probably why the "make America great again" campaign won...

the point is this is a false sexism cry..
men at Cathay are held to very high, if not higher standard than the females
and they are not whining....

smi0006

Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:06 am

Kashmon wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
Kashmon wrote:

what next

so much PC nonsense

actually once your PC crowd takes full control and everyone is made to look ugly and there are no professional standard

I’m not saying sanything about professional standards of grooming. As you can see I stated crew should be professionally presented.

I don’t accept ‘ugly’ has any link with ability to serve passengers, or keep them safe. Nor do I feel wearing pants makes a woman ugly. BA,AF,QF all have pants, and male & female cabin crew of all sizes and ages, all are generally very well groomed, most show high levels of customer service. Professional grooming, is separate from age, weight, physical appearance and a skirt.

The difference between men and female uniform policy at CX (and this may surprise you) it is acceptable for woman in 2018 to wear pants in the workplace.... but currently CX doesnt allow this. Thus they have changed with the times and are allowing woman to wear a corporate, and sociably acceptable uniform piece.

I’m not commenting on your desire to wind back the clock. Not appropriate for this forum.

MHG

Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:23 am

Despite being just a common western traveller who enjoys looking at women in polished appearance in general I look at this in a more practical and considerate way.
There should be always a choice for female flight attendants to decide whether to wear skirt or pants because it is never a good idea to force employees to wear cloth that make them infringe customs (or even breach local laws) at some of their employers destinations.
Next to this it is also not a good idea - and likely even illegal in many countries - to let employees work with inappropiate uniform in an environment (weather conditions /e.g.: winter climate) that puts these employees in "danger" for their health.

Makes me wonder why no one complains about male flight attendants not wearing shorts during summer time temps ...

P.S.: I am male - just to put my comment into the right perspective ...
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Kashmon

Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:50 am

smi0006 wrote:
Kashmon wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

I’m not saying sanything about professional standards of grooming. As you can see I stated crew should be professionally presented.

I don’t accept ‘ugly’ has any link with ability to serve passengers, or keep them safe. Nor do I feel wearing pants makes a woman ugly. BA,AF,QF all have pants, and male & female cabin crew of all sizes and ages, all are generally very well groomed, most show high levels of customer service. Professional grooming, is separate from age, weight, physical appearance and a skirt.

The difference between men and female uniform policy at CX (and this may surprise you) it is acceptable for woman in 2018 to wear pants in the workplace.... but currently CX doesnt allow this. Thus they have changed with the times and are allowing woman to wear a corporate, and sociably acceptable uniform piece.

I’m not commenting on your desire to wind back the clock. Not appropriate for this forum.

no CX female front line staff are still not allowed to wear pants....

and no I do not have a problem with pants- many people wear them....

I have a problem with people accusing CX of sexism etc when CX men actually have stricter standards than the women and the fact that CX and most Asian premium airline sell the whole "Asian hospitality, feminine concept"

now if CX wants to go back to the 50's and return to military style outfits( so actually this pants thing is what is taking people back!)

but they need to change their marketing as well... ( much to SQ's joy I am sure)

oh and I assure you the majority of FA's like dressing feminine so they will wear skirts

of course terrible airlines like BA,QF ( they have female FA's?!) and AF enjoy the butch hairy ugly look
no wonder they do not have a reputation for good service.... ( except maybe QF, their male FA's are hot... haha)

JannEejit

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:20 am

smi0006 wrote:
Noise wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

Yes, I completely agree.

I've voiced an opinion about my personal preference in a thread about trousers versus skirts. The fact you don't appear to agree with that and consider it to be typically 'male' is quite simply your own attitude problem.

At no point did I deny anyone any choice or infer the airline(s) should either. Of course they are uniformed and professional, that part of the scenario shouldn't even be up for discussion. Are you suggesting trousers make a female more professional in their job than a skirt does ?

Indeed it's all about choice and personal preference, and as I said in my post I have no problem with that whatsoever. Neither should you.

bananaboy

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:32 am

LMFNINJA wrote:
DesertFlyer wrote:

Disagree wholeheartedly. Nothing "polished and professional" about a woman in pants. Pants are for men and not women.

Yeah, this crowd looks scruffy and amatueristic.

Ridiculous statement, like many of the prehistoric attitudes expressed in this thread. :roll:

I cam almost hear it now..."I want my G&T with a slice of sex-appeal served by a nice looking dolly-bird.."

Grow up.

As long as the uniform is smart and the individual well-groomed, my personal tastes regarding it are irrelevant, including up to the point that an airline allows a male crew member to wear what would be considered feminine clothing (although I think that is years away, if ever).

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

JannEejit

Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:31 am

bananaboy wrote:
I can almost hear it now..."I want my G&T with a slice of sex-appeal served by a nice looking dolly-bird.."

Grow up.
Mark

I think the only place you're 'almost hearing' that is in your own head Mark. Perhaps deal yourself a dose of your own advice here...? ;-)

arcticcruiser

Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:57 am

My airline started allowing female CC to wear pants 10-15 years ago. TBH some of them should never be allowed back in skirts...

Kashmon

Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:09 am

bananaboy wrote:
LMFNINJA wrote:
DesertFlyer wrote:

Ridiculous statement, like many of the prehistoric attitudes expressed in this thread. :roll:

I cam almost hear it now..."I want my G&T with a slice of sex-appeal served by a nice looking dolly-bird.."

Grow up
As long as the uniform is smart and the individual well-groomed, my personal tastes regarding it are irrelevant, including up to the point that an airline allows a male crew member to wear what would be considered feminine clothing (although I think that is years away, if ever).

Mark

picture that in CX red and champagne gold and then tell me it is smart....

also in Asia people do not look down on women for being feminine + women by and large are not obsessed about being as manly as possible
so to condemn the airlines in Asia as SEXIST is nonsense- just because they do not conform to your western women who are pereptually offended for every tiny thing

bananaboy

Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:02 pm

JannEejit wrote:
bananaboy wrote:
I can almost hear it now..."I want my G&T with a slice of sex-appeal served by a nice looking dolly-bird.."

Grow up.
Mark

I think the only place you're 'almost hearing' that is in your own head Mark. Perhaps deal yourself a dose of your own advice here...? ;-)

Only if you completely fail to comprehend the rest of my post.

Mark

bananaboy

Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:12 pm

Kashmon wrote:
bananaboy wrote:
LMFNINJA wrote:

Grow up

Mark

picture that in CX red and champagne gold and then tell me it is smart....

also in Asia people do not look down on women for being feminine + women by and large are not obsessed about being as manly as possible
so to condemn the airlines in Asia as SEXIST is nonsense- just because they do not conform to your western women who are pereptually offended for every tiny thing

You're absolutely right. We should blame the women because they have the nerve to be offended about being seen firstly as sex objects and not liking it. How dare they. #snowflakes

I can't speak for anyone other than myself "in the West "; I don't look down on a woman for being feminine.

I pictured that in red and gold. Hideous. Professional, but hideous. I don't like red that much. Makes not a jot of difference to how I perceive their ability to do their job. As long as they're well groomed, that's enough for me.

Mark

JannEejit

Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:20 pm

bananaboy wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
bananaboy wrote:

Grow up.
Mark

Mark

You're still the only one using presumptious terminology like "dolly birds" and "sex objects". Some of us are capable of preferring a uniform skirt to trousers without objectifying women in that way. (I imagine that's the case with flight attendants too, given the amount of mixed trouser/skirt options on display amongst airlines that do offer the option) It would be better if the PC brigade tried a bit harder at understanding that point too.

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:03 pm

Why?
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

Kashmon

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:12 pm

JannEejit wrote:
bananaboy wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

Mark

You're still the only one using presumptious terminology like "dolly birds" and "sex objects". Some of us are capable of preferring a uniform skirt to trousers without objectifying women in that way. (I imagine that's the case with flight attendants too, given the amount of mixed trouser/skirt options on display amongst airlines that do offer the option) It would be better if the PC brigade tried a bit harder at understanding that point too.

A men to this!

I hate the assumption that any disagreement is "SEXIST" evil "PATRIARCHY"

Noise

Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:41 pm

Women should look more feminine, and men should look more masculine.

A classy, sophisticated skirt for women is best.

Prost

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:44 pm

A bunch of men talking about what women should/shouldn’t wear should make one take pause.

Noise

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:06 pm

Prost wrote:
A bunch of men talking about what women should/shouldn’t wear should make one take pause.

You don't think women do the same? Please...

Men are typically attracted to women...it's normal to think and talk about what they would look best in.

flydude380

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:20 pm

It’s sad to see this tradition go away. When questioning my female colleagues on what they prefer to wear when I started working in this industry, quite more than a few have said the skirt or a dress is what they prefer and what they’d like to see other females wear. With one of my good (female) friends saying: “I would only work for a skirt-only carrier!”

Btw, is CZ a pant/trouser only airline? I’ve never seen crew from CZ wear skirts!

blooc350

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:49 pm

smi0006 wrote:
Noise wrote:
That's a shame.

Putting the famous Singapore girl in a batik print pants? MIGHT as well take away the famous Silverkris and make Scoot the parent company. Altering the SQ girl will never happen. Ever.

Goodbye

Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:35 pm

Kashmon wrote:
this has nothing to do with sexism- its a uniform protocol - if the women do not like wearing skirts- they should leave the airline or transfer to another department...

Do you not see the irony in what you've just said??
✈︎

Cunard

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:12 am

Goodbye wrote:
Kashmon wrote:

I got a feeling he doesn't, even if he read it back to himself I still don't think he would get it!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Kashmon

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:14 am

Prost wrote:

The head of CATHAY pilots/crew is a woman named Anna
and SHE makes sure and dictates to the pilots ( like 97% male at CX) what they should wear and how they wear it.

but the men do not whine.....
Last edited by Kashmon on Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kashmon

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:16 am

Goodbye wrote:
Kashmon wrote:

no
companies have rules
if you do not like them leave

men have to wear and look a certain way as well
they do not go around whining and complaining sexism- women are allowed clothes to their knees but men have to suffer in hot long pants!!!

by your logic no company should have dress codes - because sexism

newsflash male and female bodies are different - I know basic biological facts are VERY offensive in the West

Kashmon

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:17 am

Cunard wrote:
Goodbye wrote:
Kashmon wrote:

I got a feeling he doesn't, even if he read it back to himself I still don't think he would get it!

practice what you preach and start disobeying your employers dress code in the name of sexism then....

Kashmon

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:19 am

Cunard wrote:
Goodbye wrote:
Kashmon wrote:

practice what you preach and start disobeying your employers dress code in the name of sexism then....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos