kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 4/18; Aviating in April

Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:26 pm

Good evening everyone & welcome to our April thread ! I'm away from my computer so on just posting this from my phone, hence the short intro.

A quick run through the highlights from March:

- It snowed. A lot.
- Summer is here at last ! Lots of new flights to look fwd to. DL bringing in A330s from Atlanta . Loganair taking over Glasgow - Derry
- Hainan finally announced Dublin - Beijing route . Still no word on Shenzhen
- Aeroflot looking at new Dublin route
- Etihad bringing 787s to Dublin from August
- EI takes delivery of latest A330, currently being refitted on hangar 6

Here's to a great summer of good weather and great planes !

OA260

Re: Irish 4/18; Aviating in April

Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:44 pm

Russian state airline Aeroflot to launch new Moscow-Dublin route
Government hopes direct access will open up markets for tourism and exports

Aeroflot, the Russian state-controlled airline, is to launch a direct flight from Moscow to Dublin even as Ireland’s relations with the Kremlin chill following the expulsion of one of their diplomats.
A source at the flagship Russian carrier said a decision had been taken in Moscow to proceed with a direct flight although the company has yet to decide when it will commence and its frequency.
Aeroflot, which is controlled by the Kremlin, has an almost 50 per cent share of the Russia’s domestic market. A direct flight to Dublin could lead to an acceleration in trade and tourism between the two countries.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... -1.3444792

---

Rising rates could be threat to Irish aviation leasing business
Avolon CEO Domhnal Slattery tells forum less well-funded lessors may be at risk

Rising interest rates threaten to shake up the multibillion-euro aircraft leasing business, according to chief executive of Irish-based Avolon, Domhnal Slattery.
Speaking after addressing the Irish Student Enterprise Forum at the Royal Dublin Society on Thursday, Mr Slattery acknowledged that rising borrowing charges could hit the aviation leasing business, which is a key contributor to the Republic’s economy.
“It’s going to shake out some of the less well-hedged and less well-funded lessors,” Mr Slattery predicted.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... -1.3444995

JAmie2k9

Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:25 pm

kaitak wrote:
- Etihad bringing 787s to Dublin from August

Due to be announced soon?

Galwayman

Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:41 pm

Great to see Aeroflot back - they were probably our largest transatlantic airline at one stage , miss those cheap flights to Mexico and Havana ...

AmricanShamrok

Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:36 am

Galwayman wrote:
Great to see Aeroflot back - they were probably our largest transatlantic airline at one stage , miss those cheap flights to Mexico and Havana ...

I’d love to see the SU schedule from SNN at it’s peak. Can’t seem to find anything of substance online. If anyone has this maybe they might be so kind as to post? :)

[quote= “jamie2k9”]EI couldn't go earlier and DL departure is in line with a sizeable portion of their European JFK network and one assumes connections are rather good mid afternoon for them out of JFK.

It is a shame United have dropped the early departure.

Surly hours will be adjusted to reflect the change of flight schedules?[/quote]
Why couldn’t EI go earlier? Three hours is more than enough turnaround time for the 757. They could rotate it with the other based 757 if they wanted it longer on the ground.

It’s a pity UA have downsized at SNN so much in a relatively short space of time.

Eirules

Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:40 am

I think UA downsizing at SNN has more to do with aircraft availability than making a loss on the route. We’re seeing less 757 flying as they either get retired or move them to domestic routes which demand flat beds (same happening with AA). If they had 737MAX like AC or A321NEO I’d suspect the SNN route could return
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

OA260

Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:03 am

AmricanShamrok wrote:
I’d love to see the SU schedule from SNN at it’s peak.

What year would you be looking for? I have a collection of SU timetables boxed up somewhere. Not sure what years though. I was lucky enough to fly SU SNN-SVO-DEL in J back in the day they had a mini hub at SNN. Bagged the A310/B767 ( Which was new ) / IL86 which was the highlight. All for around IEP800!

Skyblue39

Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:28 am

Santiago - Lima - Havana - Shannon was one of the more interesting routes!
Also from Shannon, SU flew regularly to Panama City, Mexico City, Miami, Washington, Chicago, Managua and the occasional flight to Nassau and Bridgetown too!
Some flights continued nonstop eastwards onto SVO while others stopped in Luxembourg or Stockholm.
There was also standalone SU flights to St Petersburg and Mineralnye Vody from Shannon’s well.

AmricanShamrok

Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:51 pm

OA260 wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
I’d love to see the SU schedule from SNN at it’s peak.

What year would you be looking for? I have a collection of SU timetables boxed up somewhere. Not sure what years though. I was lucky enough to fly SU SNN-SVO-DEL in J back in the day they had a mini hub at SNN. Bagged the A310/B767 ( Which was new ) / IL86 which was the highlight. All for around IEP800!

That would be great if you could, thanks! If you have any from 1989/1990/1991 that would be fascinating to see.

JAmie2k9

Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:47 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

I’d love to see the SU schedule from SNN at it’s peak. Can’t seem to find anything of substance online. If anyone has this maybe they might be so kind as to post? :)

[quote= “jamie2k9”]EI couldn't go earlier and DL departure is in line with a sizeable portion of their European JFK network and one assumes connections are rather good mid afternoon for them out of JFK.

It is a shame United have dropped the early departure.

Surly hours will be adjusted to reflect the change of flight schedules?

Why couldn’t EI go earlier? Three hours is more than enough turnaround time for the 757. They could rotate it with the other based 757 if they wanted it longer on the ground.

It’s a pity UA have downsized at SNN so much in a relatively short space of time.[/quote]

Its possible but I'm sure EI have the ability to carry out any work required between service with the existing roster in SNN. I can't see EI be willing to move and as SNN still gets some transit it could potentially impact them also.

shamrock321

Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:18 pm

Was lucky enough to fly Club World LHR-HKG last week sat beside a lovely Irish man travelling for business. He said for his business the CX direct fares just aren’t competitive! Any thoughts on this? High demand?

mast2407

Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:26 pm

shamrock321 wrote:
Was lucky enough to fly Club World LHR-HKG last week sat beside a lovely Irish man travelling for business. He said for his business the CX direct fares just aren’t competitive! Any thoughts on this? High demand?

Here’s hoping CX haven’t just priced themselves outta the market.

What’s his business? (Is he a small local shop owner, or a multi national corpo). What’s his criteria? (What does he describe as competitive)

OA260

Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:30 pm

shamrock321 wrote:

For a non stop product their J class on average is EUR2500 return. That compares well to one stop options on average.

LH982

Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:39 pm

That's not bad at all. I've had Finnair a few time for under 2000, but I was worried that Cathay would start at 3k+

LH982

Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:41 pm

duplicate post

aireuropef100

Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:43 pm

Hi had a rather annoying arrival into DUB on Friday which was a new experience for me but may be the norm. Arrived on EI flight from LGW into Terminal 1 gate 312 with the normal walk to T2 but we kept on being stopped in T1 waiting for people disembarking "real" T1 flights so they could come down the steps and enter T1, it happened twice with a Swiss flight and one other (cannot remember which airline) but with the continuous stopping in the 300's pier it took nearly 30 mins to reach T2. I have to say the staff although doing their job came across as rude "Zurich stop there London move on" and vice versa, really bizarre and annoying. I am surprised by the number of T2 fights now arriving at T1 that there is no better system in place for segregating passengers as i am sure a family from the Swiss Zurich flight got mixed up with the EI London flight at least the bags were already going around the carousel by the time we got there.
Also why still after being "live" for months do only half of the e-gates for passports work in T2 or were open for use at 11am - it was quicker to use the old style passport desks

LH982

Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:55 pm

I've had a few of these on the 300s pier, but never more than 5 to 10 minutes.

Automatic passport machines seem to be an issue everywhere. I'll frequently see them out of use in Frankfurt and Amsterdam.

JAmie2k9

Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:14 am

aireuropef100 wrote:
Hi had a rather annoying arrival into DUB on Friday which was a new experience for me but may be the norm. Arrived on EI flight from LGW into Terminal 1 gate 312 with the normal walk to T2 but we kept on being stopped in T1 waiting for people disembarking "real" T1 flights so they could come down the steps and enter T1, it happened twice with a Swiss flight and one other (cannot remember which airline) but with the continuous stopping in the 300's pier it took nearly 30 mins to reach T2. I have to say the staff although doing their job came across as rude "Zurich stop there London move on" and vice versa, really bizarre and annoying. I am surprised by the number of T2 fights now arriving at T1 that there is no better system in place for segregating passengers as i am sure a family from the Swiss Zurich flight got mixed up with the EI London flight at least the bags were already going around the carousel by the time we got there.
Also why still after being "live" for months do only half of the e-gates for passports work in T2 or were open for use at 11am - it was quicker to use the old style passport desks

11am is not a busy time for Euro passengers in T2 arrivals and there is probally only one person monitoring at this time. The walk from T1 to T2 and the disruption was very unusual, LGW delayed?

OA260

Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:21 pm

No need for third terminal at Dublin Airport, unions say
Ictu submission argues passenger growth can be met by two existing terminals

The development of a third terminal at Dublin Airport is not needed at this time, trade unions have maintained.
In a submission to the new review of future capacity requirements at the country’s airports, the Irish Congress of Trade Unions (Ictu) argued that the projected growth in passenger numbers at Dublin Airport could be accommodated by the expansion and reconfiguration of the existing two terminals.
Ictu said if there was a need for a third terminal at some point in the future “it should be financed, owned and operated by the Dublin Airport Authority”.

www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-s ... -1.3447407

Skyblue39

Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:06 pm

None of the E-Gates were in use yesterday in T1 at 1pm. All had a Red Cross displayed on them. 30-40 minute wait to get to a booth. Only 3 immigration officers on duty. And it’s not even peak season...

JAmie2k9

Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:20 pm

https://twitter.com/EoinBearla
"BREAKING: Blow for #Cork Airport tonight with confirmation from Norwegian Airlines that it’s suspending its Cork-Boston/Providence route for the winter. Launched last July, "

Speculation that SNN may lose Providence over winter as well but nothing official yet. Some might remember they cancelled the planned increase ex DUB over the summer as well and remained at 5 weekly.

EI will operate JFK year round from SNN taking advantage of UA exiting however BOS will now be suspended between (Jan-Mar).

leghorn

Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:00 pm

OA260 wrote:
“it should be financed, owned and operated by the Dublin Airport Authority”.

The DAA who are already subject to the whims of the unions.
subtext being that if any would-be politician in Dublin North who wants to get elected tries to open up the airport to non-unionised staff then they'll meet with the full force of the Union heavies in Dublin Airport.

eirflot

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:09 pm

No doubt then the same unions will chip in on the costs and provide reduced cost services in any new terminal operations

I can just see the line of pigs for take off!!!!

eirflot

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:12 pm

Didn't you know the DAA was run entirely for the benefit of the staff and management!!! Has been for years!!

God help us if the DAA got it's hands on any more money! We might even see some basic improvements- not.

JAmie2k9

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:13 pm

leghorn wrote:
OA260 wrote:
“it should be financed, owned and operated by the Dublin Airport Authority”.

The DAA who are already subject to the whims of the unions.
subtext being that if any would-be politician in Dublin North who wants to get elected tries to open up the airport to non-unionised staff then they'll meet with the full force of the Union heavies in Dublin Airport.

I would be against privately owned terminals, it will be the passenger that loses out overall long term while the operator and airlines win with bigger profits. There is a regulator at DUB who places massive restrictions on infrastructure spend because of pressure from customers. Some of the worlds best airports have much bigger unrestricted budgets and the ability to recover costs more freely than the daa. It doesn't however excuse some exceptionally poor decisions taken by the daa.

There would be little political support from any quaters apart from Ross who has proved to be one of the worst ministers ever seen but has settled in well on the gravy train and completely lipped from a critic of stroke politics to the master of them.
Last edited by JAmie2k9 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eirflot

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:13 pm

Didn't you know the DAA was run entirely for the benefit of the staff and management!!! Has been for years!!

God help us if the DAA got it's hands on any more money! We might even see some basic improvements- not.

LTenEleven

Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:08 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
"BREAKING: Blow for #Cork Airport tonight with confirmation from Norwegian Airlines that it’s suspending its Cork-Boston/Providence route for the winter. Launched last July, "

Speculation that SNN may lose Providence over winter as well but nothing official yet. Some might remember they cancelled the planned increase ex DUB over the summer as well and remained at 5 weekly.

EI will operate JFK year round from SNN taking advantage of UA exiting however BOS will now be suspended between (Jan-Mar).

That's quite a disappointment for Cork.

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:36 am

However, the route to "New York" will continue through the Winter.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/n ... 72686.html

OA260

Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:32 am

Ryanair saw its passenger traffic increase to 10 million customers in March, a 6pc increase on the previous year.

The load factor increased by 1pc year-on-year to 95pc.

"Ryanair's March traffic grew by 6pc to 10 million customers, while our load factor rose 1pc to 95pc, on the back of lower fares," Ryanair's Kenny Jacobs, said.

www.independent.ie/business/irish/traff ... 73200.html

leghorn

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:16 am

LTenEleven wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

That's quite a disappointment for Cork.

Norwegian did their bit. The Airport did their bit. The local Government did their bit. There can be no complaint from anyone if Corkonians and those in bordering counties won't use the service enough to make the route viable.

ClassicLover

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:14 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
I would be against privately owned terminals, it will be the passenger that loses out overall long term while the operator and airlines win with bigger profits.

How do you figure passengers losing out here?

The logic is that the passenger charges at an airport which has competing terminals will be lower as they will both want the business, so airlines will play them off each other to get the best deal.

Having the best deal at airport infrastructure means you can offer lower fares than competitors, capture more market share and make more profits. In its simplest form.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

AmricanShamrok

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:21 pm

As speculated, D8 will suspend SNN-PVD for the winter season but will increase capacity on SNN-SWF from 2x to 4x weekly on last winter. EI will switch its January/February suspension of JFK over to BOS and SNN-JFK goes back to year-round.

So overall, no loss in transatlantic capacity for SNN in Winter 2018/19.

http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/about- ... eason.aspx

JAmie2k9

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:22 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
I would be against privately owned terminals, it will be the passenger that loses out overall long term while the operator and airlines win with bigger profits.

How do you figure passengers losing out here?

The logic is that the passenger charges at an airport which has competing terminals will be lower as they will both want the business, so airlines will play them off each other to get the best deal.

Having the best deal at airport infrastructure means you can offer lower fares than competitors, capture more market share and make more profits. In its simplest form.

Well I didn't see airlines at DUB offer lower fares since charges have been reduced, if anything air fares are rising not dropping. Carriers are benefiting from lower charges and incentives for adding capacity.

Competing terminals will end up with sub standard infrastructure, reality is someone will have to foot the bill for infrastructure one way or another.

EI202

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:29 pm

I see another Qatar A332 (A7-ACE) arrived in DUB this morning, is it just on return to lessor or is it another one for EI?

JAmie2k9

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:44 pm

Aer Lingus have announced a route to Lisbon (resumed) from Cork operating 2 weekly from 26 October 2018.

Having a quick look at DUB Santiago de Compostela going year round and the commencement of Bilbao and Bordeaux last year appear to have been a success with capacity more than doubled.

ClassicLover

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:47 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Well I didn't see airlines at DUB offer lower fares since charges have been reduced, if anything air fares are rising not dropping. Carriers are benefiting from lower charges and incentives for adding capacity.

Competing terminals will end up with sub standard infrastructure, reality is someone will have to foot the bill for infrastructure one way or another.

Which charges reduced and when at DUB? I wasn't aware this had happened, but would love to find out when it did and what changed. Sounds interesting!

It's an interesting view that you believe privately constructed terminals would be substandard when they would have to meet the same building codes and regulations as everything else built in the Republic. With regards to your other comment - of course someone foots the bill, that's what the passenger charges are for.

JAmie2k9

Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:12 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

Which charges reduced and when at DUB? I wasn't aware this had happened, but would love to find out when it did and what changed. Sounds interesting!

It's an interesting view that you believe privately constructed terminals would be substandard when they would have to meet the same building codes and regulations as everything else built in the Republic. With regards to your other comment - of course someone foots the bill, that's what the passenger charges are for.

Runway moment charges have dropped, passenger departure charges have dropped (based on stands used) and while its a small cost per head it adds up for big carriers. Then there is the summer/winter charges variations which the daa introduced a few years ago. Charges should be on website.

There is the incentive schemes so while DUB may have carried over 2 million more passengers in 2017, each airlines who carrier extra passengers get a major discount the following year. There is the pre 06.00 (up to 50% discount) passenger and remote stand discounts etc which are rather lucrative. Aer Lingus/Ryanair are not going to charge less departing at 05.50 instead of 06.00 but they will save money!!

My substandard infrastructure comment was probally badly worded. I meant from an overall passenger experience with both operators under such pressure to reduce costs the level of infrastructure would suffer rather than safety/regulatory aspect of it.

AmricanShamrok

Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:18 pm

LTenEleven

Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:09 pm

What route are they dropping for LIS?

ClassicLover

Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:35 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Runway moment charges have dropped, passenger departure charges have dropped (based on stands used) and while its a small cost per head it adds up for big carriers. Then there is the summer/winter charges variations which the daa introduced a few years ago. Charges should be on website.

There is the incentive schemes so while DUB may have carried over 2 million more passengers in 2017, each airlines who carrier extra passengers get a major discount the following year. There is the pre 06.00 (up to 50% discount) passenger and remote stand discounts etc which are rather lucrative. Aer Lingus/Ryanair are not going to charge less departing at 05.50 instead of 06.00 but they will save money!!

My substandard infrastructure comment was probally badly worded. I meant from an overall passenger experience with both operators under such pressure to reduce costs the level of infrastructure would suffer rather than safety/regulatory aspect of it.

Yes, I see the reduction in runway movement charge and you're right saying it is a small charge per head. On an A320 at MTOW it is under €20 per movement which divided by 174 is under 11c per person. Contact stands reduced by a Euro over a year ago, I can see that too. It is a tiny bit per head.

You originally said, "Well I didn't see airlines at DUB offer lower fares since charges have been reduced, if anything air fares are rising not dropping." - implying the charges had reduced by such an amount that airlines could reduce fares. That is just wrong, isn't it? You shouldn't really say things to support your argument which can't be backed up as it leads people to the wrong conclusion and the whole fake news debate. Like, the charges have reduced by what 10-15c max per passenger? C'mon now.

With regards to the incentive schemes...the grow scheme says, "The total monetary value of the Dublin GROWTH Incentive rebate will be capped at the level of overall growth at Dublin Airport from the previous year as a whole." - therefore, your 2,000,000 passengers leads me to believe €2,000,000 as the capped amount, which is not a "major discount" when it's all parceled out between all the eligible airlines, which is all of them flying aircraft over 30 seats that grew traffic in the year.

I hear what you're saying with regards to the the airlines are charged less to fly before 05:50 and so on, but the discount is there because no-one wants to fly that early. Also, the first flights of the day and the latest at night are often the cheapest ones in my experience, solely because they're harder to fill due to flight times.

All airports offer incentives and rebates to get people to use the airport capacity at a time that suits the airport. Costs for a route are taken into account as a whole, so the reduction in that pre-05:50 departure (which again, is not much when you divide it by the passengers) is pretty meaningless. Therefore your point that "passengers are losing out" because airlines are pocketing the savings is pretty weak to be virtually meaningless.

When it comes to the infrastructure of private terminals, just look to JFK. The airlines are responsible for their own terminals there and things don't seem to fall apart.

psimpson

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:25 pm

EI202 wrote:
I see another Qatar A332 (A7-ACE) arrived in DUB this morning, is it just on return to lessor or is it another one for EI?

I believe this Qatar A332 A7-ACE is in DUB for repaint into Air Italy livery.

Orlaithdub

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:39 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:

It surprises me that not even one new route announcement out of Dublin on the short haul market was made... Hopefully in May with the launch of new atlantic routes, a few short haul ones are considered too...

EI564

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:22 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
Like, the charges have reduced by what 10-15c max per passenger?

Every little bit helps. Sure, it is not particularly significant but most services in Ireland are seeing an increase in charges, so its nice that something is going down at least! :)

The problem I see with an independent terminal is that its not a particularly efficient operation. If T3 handled 10 or 15mppa, then that leaves a huge hole in T1 and T2, which would presumably result in huge job cuts etc. Someone is spending a huge amount of money to replace something that we already have. That is just waste. And what kind of terminal do they build? A low cost terminal, which means Ryanair has to move in there. Or an expensive terminal to get Aer Lingus (not sure could they build another US CBP)? Whatever, airlines don't really end up with a choice in terminals. Their choice will be decided by the kind of terminal that is built from the start.

If T3 was under the same operator, T1 and T2 would still end up with a hole but they wouldn't need to build as big a facility (T3 can be modular, gradually expanded as required). We would end up with a bit of headroom rather than a massive hole. And staff can move from T1/T2 also as required. So not the same sort of job cuts. There is also overall co-ordination (which is important as Dublin becomes a bigger hub). There would be a co-ordinated plan for the airport, rather than one operator doing one thing and another operator doing another. That just sounds chaotic to me.

In fact, they might not have to build a T3 for years, as incremental expansions of T1 and T2 could keep the airport on top of terminal capacity. The only thing that seems to be needed soon is more stand capacity.

And from what I have seen reported, charges in Dublin are quite low compared to other airports in Europe. And actually, when T2 opened, the staff there were employed under lower costs than T1.

Weirdly, if you have 8 terminals and open 1 more then it is not as big a problem. Its just a small change. Going from 2 to 3 is where there is an issue. And across Europe, having one overall airport co-ordinator has no exception as far as I can see.

shamrock350

Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:54 am

Shame about Norwegian's reductions, hardly shocking but maybe a surprise it's come so soon?

Dublin probably has the volume for them to muddle through each winter but it doesn't bode well for everyone else in terms of current operations or any future expansion. Fair play to SNN for holding onto the same amount of flights via an increase at Stewart but again Norwegian may find themselves in the same position they do now thanks to Aer Lingus going year round to JFK!

Management at ORK and BFS will be hoping they do exceptionally well this summer or they could be looking at fewer flights this time next year.

Orlaithdub wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

It surprises me that not even one new route announcement out of Dublin on the short haul market was made... Hopefully in May with the launch of new atlantic routes, a few short haul ones are considered too...

Aer Lingus tend to announce the different schedules for each base individually.

OA260

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:26 am

VIDEO: Dublin to New York on an Aer Lingus 747 in 1975

This is what it was like flying from Dublin to New York on an Aer Lingus 747 Jumbo Jet in 1975.

This brilliant footage was first broadcast by RTE and perfectly captures the excitement and glamour of cross-Atlantic air travel in the 1970s.

www.dublinpeople.com/news/northsideeast ... 7-in-1975/

---

DAA says it made significant efforts to retain Cork-Boston winter route

Low demand in off-season sees Norwegian cancel US flights from Cork and Shannon

State airports company DAA said on Wednesday that it had made “significant” efforts to keep Norwegian Air International’s Cork-US service through next winter.

The budget airline confirmed that low demand forced it to cancel flights from Cork and Shannon to Providence Rhode Island in the US from November to March.

The news prompted speculation about Norwegian’s long-term commitment to Cork Airport, whose only transatlantic service, to Providence, it launched last summer.

DAA, owner of Dublin and Cork airports, said it sought to maximise the benefits for Cork in all its dealings with the Scandinavian-owned airline.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... -1.3450059

---

AAIU report finds CityJet aircraft had air valve wrongly installed

An investigation has found a CityJet aircraft had part of its air system installed the wrong way round, which prevented it from pressurising correctly.

The Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU) was looking into the scheduled passenger flight to Newcastle from Paris in July 2016.

It found that during the climb out from Paris Charles De Gaulle Airport, the flight crew noticed that the cabin rate of climb and cabin altitude had increased rapidly, and that a white advisory light - indicating a pressurisation fault - was on.

This was followed by a caution light which indicated that pressurisation had failed.

This resulted in the flight crew declaring an emergency mayday to Air Traffic Control, deploying oxygen masks and performing an emergency descent.

www.newstalk.com/AAIU-report-finds-City ... -installed

Eirules

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:43 am

[quote="OA260"]VIDEO: Dublin to New York on an Aer Lingus 747 in 1975

This is what it was like flying from Dublin to New York on an Aer Lingus 747 Jumbo Jet in 1975.

This brilliant footage was first broadcast by RTE and perfectly captures the excitement and glamour of cross-Atlantic air travel in the 1970s.

http://www.dublinpeople.com/news/norths ... 7-in-1975/

Really good video, mad to see the twin towers in the background at the end
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

dstc47

Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:30 am

Cork "fury" over Norwegian decision.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 35844.html

Another public body is needed also.

OA260

Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:59 am

Eirules wrote:
OA260 wrote:
VIDEO: Dublin to New York on an Aer Lingus 747 in 1975

http://www.dublinpeople.com/news/norths ... 7-in-1975/

Really good video, mad to see the twin towers in the background at the end

Yes love all the retro stuff. Especially the cabin interiors and the flip big screen for the IFE.

stratocruiser

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:37 am

dstc47 wrote:
Cork "fury" over Norwegian decision.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 35844.html

Another public body is needed also.

Unless a subsidy or financial incentive was provided to Norwegian to operate out of Cork year round, I cannot see that the people of Cork have anything to complain about. The fact that low passenger numbers make the service non-viable in Winter is perhaps not too surprising when you consider that a even frequency as low as two return flights a week would place about 10,000 seats on the market over a six month winter period. This may be a big ask considering the catchment population of Cork Airport and the fact that a proportion of those travelling to Boston from that region may well have opted to take the motorway to DUB (or SNN) for flights that will take them directly into Boston with the additional benefit of US preclearance rather than depositing them at an airport 50 miles away.

For an airline like Norwegian that already seems to haemorrhaging cash, the saying "use it or lose it" probably takes on an added significance.

JAmie2k9

Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:43 pm

EI564 wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
Like, the charges have reduced by what 10-15c max per passenger?

Every little bit helps. Sure, it is not particularly significant but most services in Ireland are seeing an increase in charges, so its nice that something is going down at least! :)

The problem I see with an independent terminal is that its not a particularly efficient operation. If T3 handled 10 or 15mppa, then that leaves a huge hole in T1 and T2, which would presumably result in huge job cuts etc. Someone is spending a huge amount of money to replace something that we already have. That is just waste. And what kind of terminal do they build? A low cost terminal, which means Ryanair has to move in there. Or an expensive terminal to get Aer Lingus (not sure could they build another US CBP)? Whatever, airlines don't really end up with a choice in terminals. Their choice will be decided by the kind of terminal that is built from the start.

If T3 was under the same operator, T1 and T2 would still end up with a hole but they wouldn't need to build as big a facility (T3 can be modular, gradually expanded as required). We would end up with a bit of headroom rather than a massive hole. And staff can move from T1/T2 also as required. So not the same sort of job cuts. There is also overall co-ordination (which is important as Dublin becomes a bigger hub). There would be a co-ordinated plan for the airport, rather than one operator doing one thing and another operator doing another. That just sounds chaotic to me.

In fact, they might not have to build a T3 for years, as incremental expansions of T1 and T2 could keep the airport on top of terminal capacity. The only thing that seems to be needed soon is more stand capacity.

And from what I have seen reported, charges in Dublin are quite low compared to other airports in Europe. And actually, when T2 opened, the staff there were employed under lower costs than T1.

Weirdly, if you have 8 terminals and open 1 more then it is not as big a problem. Its just a small change. Going from 2 to 3 is where there is an issue. And across Europe, having one overall airport co-ordinator has no exception as far as I can see.

T3 would have to be a true hub terminal for IAG, Long Haul and potentially other carriers. Personally its hard to see a T3 happening without reducing T1 (to become loco) terminal and downsizing of T2. Traffic would realistically need to double to make T3 and existing terminals work.

ClassicLover wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
When it comes to the infrastructure of private terminals, just look to JFK. The airlines are responsible for their own terminals there and things don't seem to fall apart.

I do see some positives with the US system but its application in Europe and here in DUB wouldn't be the same nor could I see all the benefits transferring either.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos