ei 168

Re: Irish 4/18; Aviating in April

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:20 pm

planemanofnz wrote:

Aside from EI though, I definitely see SQ looking at Ireland (with a 359) - SQ is the one carrier that can beat the ME3 and CX on Australasian connections, plus SIN and DUB have a lot of business connections through being global asset management / aircraft leasing / technology / pharma hubs.

Cheers,

C.

I’m not so sure about that. They had a an office in Dawson Street until 2014, when they then decided to shut their office because of the Middle East routes that was eating into their transfer loads. They had an Irish section on their website but that’s a sorry excuse now with no promotions and you have to go through London(phone) if you need anything. See here as regards pullout https://www.ittn.ie/news/singapore-airl ... in-office/

I agree to an extent that SQ might enter Dublin at some stage, but I think it will be a long while yet, maybe in the next 4/5 years. All the talk lately from them is long haul nonstop routes to the USA with the a359-1000.

planemanofnz

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:22 am

ei 168 wrote:
I’m not so sure about that. They had a an office in Dawson Street until 2014, when they then decided to shut their office because of the Middle East routes that was eating into their transfer loads. They had an Irish section on their website but that’s a sorry excuse now with no promotions and you have to go through London(phone) if you need anything.

Yes - you made a very valid reference to the DUB office closing in 2014. However, a lot has changed since then. For example, EY is dropping PER, which is one of the biggest transfer markets from DUB. Meanwhile, EK has slashed capacity to New Zealand by 60%, and QR can't get further rights to Australia (like BNE). IMO, the ME3 is losing steam. If a non-stop SQ service was launched (as opposed to sending Irish through LHR), I would be confident that SQ could win a fair bit of traffic from the ME3 (and/or others). CX's comments that forward bookings to and from DUB are encouraging, support this view too.

David_itl wrote:
Bear in mind the BA and CX codeshare MAN-LHR but do not codeshare the daily MAN-HKG non-stop service. Search on the BA website and we find "Sorry, there are no direct flights for this route, flights with connections are below.", IAG appear to be not overly fussed in missing out on the MAN route/premium flyers and so I hardly think they will brokering a deal for DUB-HKG that offers fewer non-stop departures than MAN.

Comparing MAN with DUB is like comparing apples with oranges.

- BA's fleet is not the right fit for MAN - it's too premium heavy. For long-haul flights ex-MAN, BA would face two unsustainable options - 1) using a premium-heavy plane out of MAN, despite the limited premium traffic, or 2) having a second configuration with lower premium seat exposure, but at the expense of efficiency and scale. Given that BA can't compete effectively at MAN, why should it support a competitor there, when it can channel traffic on its own metal through LHR? Bear in mind that LHR is different, as it's frequency sensitive, and so there is a benefit to greater frequency offerings through code-sharing.

- We're talking about a potential JV at DUB, not just code-sharing. That wouldn't work ex-UK, because BA and CX would never get approval for this - they would control far too much of the market (with both LHR and MAN) for the competition authorities to be satisfied that there wouldn't be a negative impact on consumers from collaboration. At DUB, such forces are not at play - there is no flight from DUB to East Asia (yet), and even by the end of this year with both CX and HU, there will only be 6x weekly flights combined. There's an argument that on such marginal routes, co-operation will enhance sustainability.

Cheers,

C.

OA260

Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:16 am

Limerick TD says government ‘must note decline in Shannon Airport numbers’

THE government needs to “sit up and take notice” of the declining passenger share at Shannon Airport, Niall Collins has said.

Figures released to the Fianna Fail TD this week from Transport Minister Shane Ross has seen the share of Irish passengers travelling from Limerick’s local airport collapse from 12.9% in 2005 to just 5% in 2017.

By contrast, ridership through Dublin Airport has risen from 72.3% of the total passenger numbers in 2005 to 85.1% last year.

Last year, the passenger distribution through Knock airport was 2.2%, something Mr Collins highlighted.

“To consider Shannon Airport is barely double what Knock Airport does is hugely concerning. The government needs to look at the numbers critically and carry out an appraisal as to why the market share continues to plummet. It points to a complete regional imbalance,” Mr Collins said.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home ... mbers.html

leghorn

Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:54 am

Hint to Shannon: If you want people to fly out of your airport then you'll need more flights between 07:00 and 09:00 going places where people might want to go.
Apart from passengers to London/onward from London the Airport isn't serving many people during these times.

planemanofnz

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:26 pm

leghorn wrote:
Hint to Shannon: If you want people to fly out of your airport then you'll need more flights between 07:00 and 09:00 going places where people might want to go.
Apart from passengers to London/onward from London the Airport isn't serving many people during these times.

Thinking outside the box - would a triangular DOH / DXB / IST - SNN - BFS - DOH / DXB / IST service have any merit to it? Or even, say, a TK tag service like IST - SNN - KEF - SNN - IST?

Cheers,

C.

dstc47

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:40 pm

OA260 wrote:
Limerick TD says government ‘must note decline in Shannon Airport numbers’

THE government needs to “sit up and take notice” of the declining passenger share at Shannon Airport, Niall Collins has said.

.................has seen the share of Irish passengers travelling from Limerick’s local airport collapse from 12.9% in 2005 to just 5% in 2017.

In 2005 the Shannon stopover was still in force.

kaitak
Topic Author

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:48 pm

Hopefully, the opening of the new runway will give the DAA a boost in efforts to build new long haul routes.

I was very happy to see CX announce DUB and very pleased also that they are encouraged by forward bookings. I think that we will need to look to foreign carriers to build eastbound routes, because all of EI's efforts for the foreseeable future will be focused on t/a routes.

I think it will be very interesting to see what will happen when the new IST airport opens. Currently, TK is held back to some extent by the limitations of the current Ataturk Airport; however, with a brand new airport, able (ultimately) to handle 100-120m ppa, I think it will really make it a far more effective carrier against the ME3; also, TK is starting to get 787s and A350s from next year, which will release A333s for use on short haul routes and I can see them bringing at least one 330 a day to DUB, to boost capacity here. I think EY will hobble on, probably with a daily 787 service, until the Khalifas finally swallow their pride and join forces with EK.

Incidentally, has anything further happened with that proposal of TK, to fly IST-DUB-MEX? Or does it join AI in the "might have been" folder?

Galwayman

Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:10 pm

Fingers crossed for IST > DUB > MEX with 5th freedom traffic rights , and a code share with EI ( I can dream )

I think the New Mexico City airport is under construction , possibly TK might wait until they can go non stop on a 787

Eirules

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:31 pm

What are people’s thoughts on the impact on EI of them joining the OW transatlantic joint venture?

EI already fly to a number of AA hubs such as JFK, PHL, MIA, ORD & LAX so decent connection opportunities exist. The glaring omission is DFW but whether it’s on AA or EI is debatable (AA would have better brand recognition ex DFW).

Will the B6 connections continue? Surely UA have to be dropped

Would AA drop a frequency to each of JFK & ORD with AA starting year round, thus allowing EI fly to other markets?

Would CLT go year round on AA?
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

kaitak
Topic Author

Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:20 pm

Here is the link to the new thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1392963

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos