Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
vhebb
Topic Author
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:37 am

Strange Emirates Sydney Changes

Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:25 am

Hi,

Looks like EK is downgrading 1x of the DXB-SYD-DXB services from A380 to B77W during August/September 2018

The flights downgraded are EK416 DXB-SYD and EK417 SYD-DXB

The problem is EK416 arrives into SYD at 17:20pm while EK417 departs Sydney at 16:05pm, will this mean the aircraft will spend around 23hrs on the ground each day?

Any insight into this would be great

Thanks
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7535
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Strange Emirates Sydney Changes

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:48 am

No idea but it’s plausible it will sit for 23hrs as the evening EK413 comes ex CHC. And they would probably prefer the 380 on the overnight ex SYD, but can’t change it that easily with the CHC tag and another flight via BKK on A380’s aswell
 
Ellofiend
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:13 am

Re: Strange Emirates Sydney Changes

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:33 am

Yeah, EK will probably announce they are downgrading the CHC tag to 77W and let the 388 sit on the ground that day seeing as QF has A388 facilities here and minor maintenance could be carried out here if need be. 77W will provide better economics and better turnaround times as well as being more capable for CHC to handle. Might even be able to do a second tag to MEL or CBR or back to CHC?
 
Qantas16
Posts: 769
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Strange Emirates Sydney Changes

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:42 am

Ellofiend wrote:
Yeah, EK will probably announce they are downgrading the CHC tag to 77W and let the 388 sit on the ground that day seeing as QF has A388 facilities here and minor maintenance could be carried out here if need be. 77W will provide better economics and better turnaround times as well as being more capable for CHC to handle. Might even be able to do a second tag to MEL or CBR or back to CHC?


Why would EK run a tag to MEL or CBR? They cannot sell those legs separately and already fly ex-MEL multiple times daily... they could also fly to CBR if they wanted (they are not restricted like QR).
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2875
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Strange Emirates Sydney Changes

Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:15 pm

As of last week we have an EK 380 on the ground all day in BNE- flights EK434/5 will be seasonally downgraded to 77W from June for a few months.
 
IndianicWorld
Posts: 3399
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:32 am

Re: Strange Emirates Sydney Changes

Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:19 pm

It seems Australian airports are looking more and more like EK parking lots during the day :)

I have certainly seen 2 A380’s parked side by side on remote stands in MEL on my airport visits since the network changes. It is interesting to see.
 
migair54
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:24 am

Re: Strange Emirates Sydney Changes

Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:47 pm

Qantas16 wrote:
Ellofiend wrote:
Yeah, EK will probably announce they are downgrading the CHC tag to 77W and let the 388 sit on the ground that day seeing as QF has A388 facilities here and minor maintenance could be carried out here if need be. 77W will provide better economics and better turnaround times as well as being more capable for CHC to handle. Might even be able to do a second tag to MEL or CBR or back to CHC?


Why would EK run a tag to MEL or CBR? They cannot sell those legs separately and already fly ex-MEL multiple times daily... they could also fly to CBR if they wanted (they are not restricted like QR).


EK has a good deal with Qantas, so I don't think they really need to do any of that, actually EK is cancelling most of the NZ flights for Qantas.

IndianicWorld wrote:
It seems Australian airports are looking more and more like EK parking lots during the day :)

I have certainly seen 2 A380’s parked side by side on remote stands in MEL on my airport visits since the network changes. It is interesting to see.


I think maybe in the future they will work out the schedules and manage the slots better so they don't have a plane idle on ground for many hours, but the most important part of Australia flights is the connectivity beyond Dubai, so like some other destinations sometimes a few hours on ground is better than departing at a wrong time.
 
vhebb
Topic Author
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:37 am

Re: Strange Emirates Sydney Changes

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:54 pm

The Sydney schedule that is published still doesn't make sense, unless more changes are yet to be loaded?
 
LAXLHR
Posts: 456
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:07 am

Re: Strange Emirates Sydney Changes

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:04 am

IndianicWorld wrote:
It seems Australian airports are looking more and more like EK parking lots during the day :)

I have certainly seen 2 A380’s parked side by side on remote stands in MEL on my airport visits since the network changes. It is interesting to see.


The same could be said for JNB (all the Euro birds park all day). GRU and EZE become an AA 777 parking lot along with DL and UA jets.
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 330s 340s 350 380
 
zkncj
Posts: 3910
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Strange Emirates Sydney Changes

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:07 am

eta unknown wrote:
As of last week we have an EK 380 on the ground all day in BNE- flights EK434/5 will be seasonally downgraded to 77W from June for a few months.


Last week BNE/MEL lost there AKL tag-ons - hence passenger numbers will reduce slighty.
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5572
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Strange Emirates Sydney Changes

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:09 am

migair54 wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
Ellofiend wrote:
Yeah, EK will probably announce they are downgrading the CHC tag to 77W and let the 388 sit on the ground that day seeing as QF has A388 facilities here and minor maintenance could be carried out here if need be. 77W will provide better economics and better turnaround times as well as being more capable for CHC to handle. Might even be able to do a second tag to MEL or CBR or back to CHC?


Why would EK run a tag to MEL or CBR? They cannot sell those legs separately and already fly ex-MEL multiple times daily... they could also fly to CBR if they wanted (they are not restricted like QR).


EK has a good deal with Qantas, so I don't think they really need to do any of that, actually EK is cancelling most of the NZ flights for Qantas.

IndianicWorld wrote:
It seems Australian airports are looking more and more like EK parking lots during the day :)

I have certainly seen 2 A380’s parked side by side on remote stands in MEL on my airport visits since the network changes. It is interesting to see.


I think maybe in the future they will work out the schedules and manage the slots better so they don't have a plane idle on ground for many hours, but the most important part of Australia flights is the connectivity beyond Dubai, so like some other destinations sometimes a few hours on ground is better than departing at a wrong time.


Correction, EK “have” cancelled their Tasman services handing it over to QF with Tasman services upgauged to A330’s. In return EK gain DXB-MEL-DXB, DXB-SYD-DXB traffic.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7535
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Strange Emirates Sydney Changes

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:45 am

vhebb wrote:
The Sydney schedule that is published still doesn't make sense, unless more changes are yet to be loaded?


I can’t see the schedule from my phone. Is it just a 77W parked for 23 hrs?
 
vhebb
Topic Author
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:37 am

Re: Strange Emirates Sydney Changes

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:54 am

Yes just the B77W all other flights are listed as A380
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7535
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Strange Emirates Sydney Changes

Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:07 am

vhebb wrote:
Yes just the B77W all other flights are listed as A380


It could be correct if it’s just the 77W showing a 23hr ground time.


Ellofiend wrote:
Yeah, EK will probably announce they are downgrading the CHC tag to 77W and let the 388 sit on the ground that day seeing as QF has A388 facilities here and minor maintenance could be carried out here if need be. 77W will provide better economics and better turnaround times as well as being more capable for CHC to handle. Might even be able to do a second tag to MEL or CBR or back to CHC?


It’s more likely EK would drop SYD-CHC in favour of a DXB-CHC or DXB-???-CHC somewhere like KUL or BKK are unserved ex CHC. QF would either add a upgauge a CHC flight to an A330 or maybe end up with 3 daily 738’s.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos