Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jplatts
Topic Author

Southwest Airlines at LAX - 2018

Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:11 pm

Southwest Airlines published a press release titled "Fresh flavors, local brands headed to LAX as Southwest Airlines’ Terminal 1 modernization project reaches final phase" last week, and that press release can be found at https://www.swamedia.com/releases/release-de080387b716f7f68a21d1f86414359b-fresh-flavors-local-brands-headed-to-lax-as-southwest-airlines-terminal-1-modernization-project-reaches-final-phase. Terminal 1 renovations at LAX are scheduled to be completed by the end of this year according to the SWA press release published last week.

Southwest will be extending LAX-OMA nonstop service to daily, year-round nonstop service starting on June 7th. Southwest will also be starting LAX-TPA nonstop service on August 7th. (Source: https://www.swamedia.com/releases/release-7cccde9046059e960296b2f5c6175bd9-southwest-airlines-extends-flight-schedule-through-oct-1-2018)

WN does have opportunities to add nonstop service to additional destinations in the contiguous U.S. from LAX once Terminal 1 renovations at LAX are completed.

The top 10 destinations in the contiguous U.S. without nonstop service to LAX on any airline are LGA, JAX, ORF, SDF, GRR, RIC, ALB, CHS, BHM, and RSW. LGA has perimeter restrictions that prevent any airline from serving LGA nonstop on weekdays or Sundays, but LGA can be served nonstop from LAX on Saturdays. WN does have opportunities to add nonstop service to all 10 of these destinations from LAX, but WN is unlikely to add nonstop service to all 10 of these destinations from LAX.

WN does have opportunities to add nonstop service to BOS, BUF, CLE, CMH, FLL, BDL, MEM, MSP, OKC, MCO, EWR, RDU, SEA, and IAD from LAX, but WN is unlikely to add nonstop service to all of these destinations from LAX.

What new domestic nonstop routes is WN likely to add out of LAX, in addition to the already announced LAX-TPA nonstop route and in addition to any LAX-Hawaii nonstop routes?

gregn21

Re: Southwest Airlines at LAX - 2018

Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:19 pm

Biggest hole for them is still LAX-MCO.

airliner371

Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:29 pm

I could see CMH.

LAXintl

Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:36 pm

The biggest benefit of renovations is Southwest will finally have access to all 14 gates (of which 12 can handle 737MAX-8) with none out of service for construction. This will greatly help the operation and is a net increase of gates from days of sharing the terminal with US Airways.

**LAWA technically retains rights to 2 gates and can relocate another airline into T-1 based on WN facility utilization. WN will also eventually lose a gate with the construction of the T1 to T2 connector.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

FSDan

Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:11 pm

My question regarding WN at LAX is regarding how their international operations are handled. I know that they tend to use gates at the north end of TBIT for international arrivals, but after the aircraft are unloaded do they always tow them back to T1 immediately, or are passengers from T1 bused over to TBIT for departure? All check in is done at T1, even for international departures, right?

I agree MCO is somewhat of a hole in WN's LAX network, although there's stiff competition (checking a date in mid June reveals 4x AA + 3x DL + 2x UA + 1x B6). I wouldn't be surprised to see OKC or CMH added at some point.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

MIflyer12

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:10 pm

jplatts wrote:
The top 10 destinations in the contiguous U.S. without nonstop service to LAX on any airline are LGA, JAX, ORF, SDF, GRR, RIC, ALB, CHS, BHM, and RSW. LGA has perimeter restrictions that prevent any airline from serving LGA nonstop on weekdays or Sundays, but LGA can be served nonstop from LAX on Saturdays. WN does have opportunities to add nonstop service to all 10 of these destinations from LAX, but WN is unlikely to add nonstop service to all 10 of these destinations from LAX.

Let me correct that for you. WN is unlikely to add service to ANY of those destinations from LAX. It doesn't have a LAX hub (it relies on O&D, and a lot of the LAX pax count is intra-Cal) nor any onward service to Hawaii or TPAC.

barney captain

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:24 pm

FSDan wrote:
My question regarding WN at LAX is regarding how their international operations are handled. I know that they tend to use gates at the north end of TBIT for international arrivals, but after the aircraft are unloaded do they always tow them back to T1 immediately, or are passengers from T1 bused over to TBIT for departure? All check in is done at T1, even for international departures, right?

I agree MCO is somewhat of a hole in WN's LAX network, although there's stiff competition (checking a date in mid June reveals 4x AA + 3x DL + 2x UA + 1x B6). I wouldn't be surprised to see OKC or CMH added at some point.

Buses.

Most of the departures (if not all) and all of the arrivals happen at the TBT. There is an airside bus connector to shuttle passengers from T1 for the departures. However if you're connecting after an intl arrival, you either walk or take the LAX terminal bus back to T1. It's a bit of a PITA. There is also a certain amount of repositioning via towing that takes place. I've seen a supertug used for this.
Southeast Of Disorder

SWADawg

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:41 pm

The real expansion can’t really begin in earnest until WN and LAWA can come to terms on when Terminal 0 will be green lighted. Once the go ahead is given and the new gates can be brought online, then WN can effectively expand operations out of LAX.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

BWIAirport

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:56 pm

jplatts wrote:
The top 10 destinations in the contiguous U.S. without nonstop service to LAX on any airline are LGA, JAX, ORF, SDF, GRR, RIC, ALB, CHS, BHM, and RSW.

WN does have opportunities to add nonstop service to BOS, BUF, CLE, CMH, FLL, BDL, MEM, MSP, OKC, MCO, EWR, RDU, SEA, and IAD from LAX, but WN is unlikely to add nonstop service to all of these destinations from LAX.

What new domestic nonstop routes is WN likely to add out of LAX, in addition to the already announced LAX-TPA nonstop route and in addition to any LAX-Hawaii nonstop routes?

I believe the Florida-SoCal market is notoriously undercovered anyway. Airlines must know more than we do, of course, or you'd see a lot more service. Aside from the Florida airports you mentioned that don't have direct LAX service, most of those are airports that have a relatively small presence on the east coast, let alone have sufficient demand for a transcontinental service. They're also all one stop away from almost any west coast city. I almost like NK's chances of starting in those markets over WN.
WN does not have a history of entering into highly competitive markets easily, such as LAX-BOS/FLL/SEA/EWR/IAD, which explains their Hawaii situation.
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL, FFT | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

jplatts
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:28 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Let me correct that for you. WN is unlikely to add service to ANY of those destinations from LAX. It doesn't have a LAX hub (it relies on O&D, and a lot of the LAX pax count is intra-Cal) nor any onward service to Hawaii or TPAC.

I agree that WN would not be able to connect passengers from Hawaii destinations to JAX, ORF, RIC, ALB, CHS, and RSW without redeye flights since these places are too far east for connections from Hawaii through LAX without redeye flights. WN might be able to connect passengers to SDF, IND, CVG, CMH, GRR, BNA, and BHM from Hawaii through LAX if WN added an evening departure from LAX to these destinations, if WN added a morning departure to LAX from HNL, and if the WN LAX-HNL departure gets you into LAX in time to make connections to these destinations. On the other hand, WN would be able to connect passengers to DEN, ELP, AUS, SAT, DAL, HOU, MCI, STL, MDW, and MSY from HNL through LAX if WN added a morning departure to LAX from HNL.

There might be enough O&D demand for nonstop service to LAX from JAX and ORF since there is an average of 211 passengers a day who travel between LAX and JAX (both directions) and since there is an average of 209 passengers a day who travel between LAX and ORF (both directions). WN would also be able to connect passengers to OAK, SFO, SJC, SMF, RNO, and PDX from JAX and ORF through LAX if WN adds nonstop service to LAX from JAX and ORF. WN is not necessarily unwilling to add nonstop service from LAX to destinations that do not currently have any nonstop service from LAX if there is enough demand since WN is the only airline to serve MDW, HOU, and MKE nonstop from LAX.

I do agree that WN is unlikely to add nonstop service to most of the domestic destinations in the contiguous U.S. that currently do not have any nonstop service from LAX on any airline. I also agree that WN is unlikely to ever add Saturday-only nonstop service to LGA from LAX, even though there are many passengers who travel between LAX and LGA with a connection at an airport between LAX and LGA.

jplatts
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:22 am

BWIAirport wrote:
WN does not have a history of entering into highly competitive markets easily, such as LAX-BOS/FLL/SEA/EWR/IAD, which explains their Hawaii situation.

WN could add nonstop service to IAD from LAX, OAK, and SJC in order to better compete against AS in California since AS serves IAD nonstop from LAX and SFO. While WN already does serve BWI nonstop from LAX, OAK, and SJC, BWI is almost 60 miles east of IAD and the westernmost suburbs of Washington, DC are located approximately 70 miles west of BWI. Some of the businesses in the Washington Metropolitan Area are more than 50 miles west of BWI. Even though BWI is too far east from the westernmost parts of the Washington Metropolitan Area, BWI is close enough to Downtown DC, the National Mall, the US Capitol, and Washington Union Station for BWI to be a viable option for those traveling to Washington, DC proper from the West Coast.

WN actually has more flights out of the Baltimore/Washington region (BWI, DCA, and IAD combined), the LA Basin (LAX, BUR, SNA, LGB, and ONT combined), and the San Francisco Bay Area (OAK, SJC, and SFO combined) than it does out of Chicago, even though WN has its largest focus city at MDW. LAX and SFO are also the top destinations traveled to from IAD, and there are some residents on the west side of the Washington Metropolitan Area who would prefer to fly out of IAD instead of BWI. There are also some California business travelers who are going to business destinations on the west side of the Washington, DC area who prefer to fly into IAD over BWI.

While WN does serve DCA, WN's only beyond-perimeter slot exemptions are already used for AUS-DCA nonstop service. WN also does not currently hold any beyond-perimeter slot exemptions that would allow WN to serve DCA nonstop from California. The DCA perimeter restrictions prevent WN from serving DCA nonstop from California without beyond-perimeter slot exemptions. AA, DL, UA, and AS all have nonstop service to DCA from the West Coast, but all 4 of these airlines hold beyond-perimeter slot exemptions that allow them to serve DCA nonstop from the West Coast.

WN might be able to do well on LAX-IAD, OAK-IAD, and SJC-IAD nonstop service if WN adds nonstop service to IAD from LAX, OAK, and SJC since there is significant demand to California destinations from IAD and since WN has a large customer base in the Washington Metropolitan Area, Greater Los Angeles, and the San Francisco Bay Area.

jplatts
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:11 am

BWIAirport wrote:

There might possibly be enough demand for WN to add LAX-SEA nonstop service since SEA is one of the top domestic destinations that is not currently served nonstop from LAX on WN, since the Virgin America brand will be discontinued on April 24th, and since NK has already discontinued LAX-SEA nonstop service. Even though AS and DL both have hubs at both SEA and LAX, WN has more market share than AA or UA do at SEA. WN will also be expanding its Seattle-area presence when it starts service out of PAE later this year. LAX is also the largest WN focus city that doesn't already have nonstop service to SEA on WN.

SteveXC500

Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:26 am

Won’t see MSP unless it gets people to Hawaii. Too much competition on the route already.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos