aviationjunky
Topic Author

Lockheed Martin Awarded New Supersonic Aircraft Project by NASA

Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:18 pm

https://www.wired.com/story/nasa-x-plane-supersonic-lockheed-low-boom-x-58/

The article says the contract is estimated at just under $250mil, and is the next viable step to having supersonic passenger flights in the future. It seems the only stipulation NASA has is that there can't be any type of sonic boom once it breaks the sound barrier.

I'm excited to see how it unfolds, and see if Lockheed tries to expand back into the passenger transport field with the first supersonic passenger aircraft since the legendary Concorde.
LAS is Life

salttee

Re: Lockheed Martin Awarded New Supersonic Aircraft Project by NASA

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:21 am

I cannot understand why taxpayers should be funding this unneeded technology.

wedgetail737

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:38 am

Oh boy...here we go. Another F-35 fiasco!

DDR

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:42 am

salttee wrote:

Amen brother. It’s The Boeing SST thing all over again.

salttee

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:56 am

$250 million down the toilet as far as I can see.

Slcpilot

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:04 am

That cost really seems a bit much for what it is. I’d have to think Scaled could do it for quite a bit less.
I don't like to be fueled by anger, I don't like to be fooled by lust...

wedgetail737

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:19 am

NASA is touting a "low boom" design.

cpd

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:33 am

salttee wrote:

I think this is a cover project for something else.

aviationjunky wrote:
I'm excited to see how it unfolds, and see if Lockheed tries to expand back into the passenger transport field with the first supersonic passenger aircraft since the legendary Concorde.

They won't.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:39 am

salttee wrote:

I can see why NASA would fund this. It will answer a very good question. With what is now known about design and materials... can we actually build a "low boom" Supersonic Aircraft.

Exactly how applicable it is to the civilian market is likely limited. But, one of NASA's base missions is R&D into aircraft concepts and issues. Sometimes you actually have to build one and test it to see where we are at.

We... will learn something from this that wind tunnel testing cannot tell us. With what they learn they can improve our computer models more. That's a good thing.

Have a great day,

neomax

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:56 am

aviationjunky wrote:
It seems the only stipulation NASA has is that there can't be any type of sonic boom once it breaks the sound barrier.

The only stipulation loooool :rotfl:

This is actually something that should've been posted on April 1. That said, I'm excited to see where this goes and support any research on SST aircraft so kudos to them.

LAX772LR

Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:15 am

Meh, as always: wake us when there's an actual aircraft ready to pull up to a gate.

Way too many false starts and utter disappointments, otherwise.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

DarthLobster

Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:27 am

Hopefully it'll progress faster than every other program Lockheed Martin is under contract from NASA to do. 14 years on and Orion is still the world's most expensive mockup.

tvarad

Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:59 am

Legacy military industrial conglomerates like Lockheed-Martin simply fatten themselves on these contracts with little results to show for the money spent. I wish NASA would invite nuevo-entrepreneurs like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos to also participate to bring some out of the box thinking, especially considering how the former has upended the space launch business.

LightningZ71

Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:57 am

Remember, you can make a plane hard for a Radar to see, and difficult for an IR sensor to track, but can you make it silent enough to get where it's going without being heard enough to draw attention? Remember, Lockheed is also working with aerion for something similar.

YuriMG2

Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:16 am

Cover up to test some new military tech.

Francoflier

Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:17 am

First of all, I think this thread belongs in Mil Av / Space.

And then, I don't see what the outrage is about. They're just going to build the one small prototype which, if it delivers on its promises, could open the door to viable supersonic passenger travel, although I'm sure they have military application in mind too.

And it's quite cool to see manned X-planes in this day and age.

I just wonder how they would make this sort of aerodynamic design handle low speeds effectively... this essentially looks like a horizontally-travelling rocket.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

CARST

Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:20 am

tvarad wrote:
Legacy military industrial conglomerates like Lockheed-Martin simply fatten themselves on these contracts with little results to show for the money spent. I wish NASA would invite nuevo-entrepreneurs like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos to also participate to bring some out of the box thinking, especially considering how the former has upended the space launch business.

Before you claim so much bullshit in one single post (which borders on Trumpism) perhaps you should look into that NASA project more closely. As NASA is funded by the government and financing everything of tax money they have to send out invitation for tenders for every project they start. There are no backroom-deals. In this case Lockheed Martin was the only company who bid for the first tranche of this low-boom SST project (the development) and now was also the only company to bid for the second tranche (building the prototype).

Why no other company took part in this project? No Northrop, no Elon Musk, no Boeing? Who knows, perhaps NASA set the budget so low and most companies were not interested in taking part. In the end NASA was lucky for sure to have found at least one company bidding for the contract.

And don't be ridicilous, Musks company will make a lot of money on the space contracts, he's not operating his companies out of altruism.

Faro

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:08 am

cpd wrote:
salttee wrote:

I think this is a cover project for something else.

aviationjunky wrote:

They won't.

:checkmark: :checkmark:

This isn't about a civil supersonic transport entering service in the 2050's...it's about reducing the sonic boom for some other big, supersonic/hypersonic aircraft/spacecraft...perhaps for an existing or concept-phase design that may fly much sooner...an uncivil one...

Faro
The chalice not my son

Noshow

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:08 am

So the next SR-71 is co-funded by the taxpayer from civilian research budgets? Why doesn't the military use it's own money?

Faro

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:48 am

Noshow wrote:
So the next SR-71 is co-funded by the taxpayer from civilian research budgets? Why doesn't the military use it's own money?

From the National Aeronautics and Space Act of 1958:

https://history.nasa.gov/spaceact.html

(b) The Congress declares that the general welfare and security of the United States require that adequate provision be made for aeronautical and space activities. The Congress further declares that such activities shall be the responsibility of, and shall be directed by, a civilian agency exercising control over aeronautical and space activities sponsored by the United States, except that activities peculiar to or primarily associated with the development of weapons systems, military operations, or the defense of the United States (including the research and development necessary to make effective provision for the defense of the United States) shall be the responsibility of, and shall be directed by, the Department of Defense; and that determination as to which such agency has responsibility for and direction of any such activity shall be made by the President in conformity with section 201 (e).

So the sonic boom research must not be "peculiar to or primarily associated with the development of weapons systems, military operations, or the defense of the United States". All depends on how you define "peculiar to" or "primarily associated with the development of weapons systems". But national security is indeed covered by NASA. A lot of leeway there...

Faro
The chalice not my son

ZaphodHarkonnen

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:00 am

Neat. Remember that the first A in NASA is Aeronautics. So that includes experimenting with stuff like this that would otherwise not be done by private enterprise.

Anyways, pretty cool if it works. Though if this turns out to work well the biggest issue I see is not the supersonic bit but the gate space this would eat up. In the renders the cockpit is halfway down the body. That nose is hugely long. That would seemingly limit the amount of length you have to fit passengers in an upscaled version.

salttee

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:30 am

So this thread should be moved to Military Aviation & Space.

It obviously has nothing to do with civil aviation.

Noshow

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:30 am

Thanks Faro for your link. Interesting info.

OA940

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:31 am

I am excited, but at the same time they could partner with Boom, you know, the one that's already building a supersonic demonstrator, and, you know, spend a lot less. I guess even within America nationalism is so high the government would rather its own jet.
A350/CSeries = bae

BaconButty

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:11 am

OA940 wrote:
I am excited, but at the same time they could partner with Boom, you know, the one that's already building a supersonic demonstrator, and, you know, spend a lot less. I guess even within America nationalism is so high the government would rather its own jet.

They are partnered with Aerion.
Down with that sort of thing!

OA940

Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:23 pm

BaconButty wrote:
OA940 wrote:

They are partnered with Aerion.

Yeah but do they have a jet ready for launch? As far as I've heard the Aerion jet is still in the design phase. IIRC Boom's demonstrator is being built as we speak.
A350/CSeries = bae

estorilm

Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:30 pm

DarthLobster wrote:
Hopefully it'll progress faster than every other program Lockheed Martin is under contract from NASA to do. 14 years on and Orion is still the world's most expensive mockup.

It flew four years ago... how is that a mock-up? The actual Orion concept was only launched three years before that. Where are you getting 14 years from. :roll:

Even the initial mentioning of a contract for Constellation was 12 years ago, and that program was under-funded then cancelled.

BaconButty

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:09 pm

OA940 wrote:
Yeah but do they have a jet ready for launch? As far as I've heard the Aerion jet is still in the design phase. IIRC Boom's demonstrator is being built as we speak.

The Boom aircraft is a 1 in 3 scale demonstrator that isn't in the actual config of the proposed passenger aircraft. It's there to prove some novel aspect of wing design they have. Really, those guys don't have a hope in hell of bringing that aircraft to market, and probably no intention. They're venture capital backed and looking to nurture some IP that can be sold on in one way or another if one of the big boys decides to build an SST, most likely a bizjet.

Aerion are way ahead. They've lined up an airframer and an engine maker, and they're targeting a market segment that is actually willing to pay for performance over capacity (see Citation X). Even then I suspect their odds are way less than 50/50.

Exciting times even though.
Down with that sort of thing!

monomojo

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:10 pm

aviationjunky wrote:
https://www.wired.com/story/nasa-x-plane-supersonic-lockheed-low-boom-x-58/

The article says the contract is estimated at just under $250mil, and is the next viable step to having supersonic passenger flights in the future. It seems the only stipulation NASA has is that there can't be any type of sonic boom once it breaks the sound barrier.

I think Lockheed is done with civil transport. Nice thing about NASA research projects though, is anyone can use the data...

cpd

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:37 pm

salttee wrote:
So this thread should be moved to Military Aviation & Space.

It obviously has nothing to do with civil aviation.

Yes, I think so too.

Noshow wrote:

If you can bury funding in other meaningless programs, then whatever you are actually developing is more likely to stay out of sight of those pesky people looking up budget allocations.

StuckinCMHland

Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:16 pm

Wow!

With all due respect to many of the posters here, are we all so cynical and hateful toward any government agency or program that a contract from a civilian space agency that has as part of its mandate to work on aeronautics is only being used as a cover for a bloated military contract/handout?

Research is great, and I hope they can get something marvelous out of it.

spacecadet

Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:39 pm

This is exactly the kind of thing I *want* my tax dollars going to.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

aviationjunky
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:07 pm

I hope they do succeed. A supersonic aircraft would be nice to see again.
LAS is Life

Polot

Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:18 pm

Noshow wrote:

Where, exactly, do you think the military’s “own money” comes from?

JammyBritton27

NASA has roped in Lockheed Martin to build the next generation of commercial supersonic aircraft

Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:57 pm

The supersonic X-plane, to be called QueSST, will be a lot different from Concorde. According to NASA, the X-plane's uniquely-shaped structure will reduce the intensity of the sonic booms it creates. NASA plans to resurrect its supersonic air travel. Also Boom Technologies hopes to revive supersonic air travel, which got $10 million investment from Japan Airlines. https://news.alphastreet.com/time-to-fa ... ic-flight/

KrustyTheKlown

Re: NASA has roped in Lockheed Martin to build the next generation of commercial supersonic aircraft

Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:07 pm

Quiet SuperSonic Technology X-Plane
In 2018, Lockheed Martin Skunk Works was selected for the design, build and flight test of the Low-Boom Flight Demonstrator (LBFD). The LBFD aircraft will collect community response data on the acceptability of the quiet sonic boom generated by our design, helping NASA establish an acceptable commercial supersonic noise standard to overturn current regulations banning supersonic travel over land. This would open the door to an entirely new global market for aircraft manufacturers, enabling passengers to travel anywhere in the world in half the time it takes today.

The X-plane is designed to cruise at 55,000 feet at a speed of about 940 mph and create a sound about as loud as a car door closing, 75 Perceived Level decibel (PLdB), instead of a sonic boom.

kiowa

Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:49 pm

Noshow wrote:

It’s ALL taxpayer money. NASA is another government empire trying to justify their continued existence. I support the research but it should be done with private money, not borrowed money supporting an incredible deficit.

Aptivaboy

Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:10 pm

Guys, NASA stands for "National AIR and Space Administration." Note the, "Air," part. They've been doing research into civilian applications since their inception. This is nothing new. At some point, supersonic transport will be back, its just a question of when. Since high speed transport could ultimately be beneficial to the US economy, this sounds like a perfectly good way of spending my taxpayer dollars, certainly better than the (non) "shovel ready projects" of the Obama Stimulus Plan that achieved virtually zero, not to mention the plethora of other dead ends and pork barrel projects that every other administration has pushed through. If this research eventually winds up resulting in or helping to design an aircraft made by US manufacturers which creates US jobs, then wonderful. If not, then at last we did some pure research and tried.

I also highly doubt that this is a cover for a military spyplane or SR-71 successor. First, the so-called SR-72 is already well along it its development, with Lockheed-Martin and Boeing vying for the contract. Here's Boeing's likely entrant (https://www.popularmechanics.com/milita ... blackbird/) and Lockheed-Martin's (https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/19/loc ... spy-plane/). In other words, this new technology demonstrator isn't the Son of Blackbird.

Second, the Black Budget is more than large enough to fund such a plane secretly, away from prying eyes, were that the case. This beastie, on the other hand, is quite public. Now, will there be some technology migration? Some technology applications that may cross-pollinate into the military realm? Certainly, but then that is always the case when new designs are researched, things from one application winding up in another unrelated project.

tapairbus370

Re: NASA has roped in Lockheed Martin to build the next generation of commercial supersonic aircraft

Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:37 pm

JammyBritton27 wrote:
The supersonic X-plane, to be called QueSST, will be a lot different from Concorde. According to NASA, the X-plane's uniquely-shaped structure will reduce the intensity of the sonic booms it creates. NASA plans to resurrect its supersonic air travel. Also Boom Technologies hopes to revive supersonic air travel, which got $10 million investment from Japan Airlines. https://news.alphastreet.com/time-to-fa ... ic-flight/

Hello,

not only Boom Supersonic ;).

Check this thread if you want

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1388687&p=20239947&hilit=tapairbus370#p20239947

All the best!!

DarthLobster

Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:41 pm

estorilm wrote:
DarthLobster wrote:

It flew four years ago... how is that a mock-up? The actual Orion concept was only launched three years before that. Where are you getting 14 years from. :roll:

Even the initial mentioning of a contract for Constellation was 12 years ago, and that program was under-funded then cancelled.

Orion was conceived and began development during the 1st W. Bush administration. Regardless of whether it was designed to launch on Aries or SLS, it’s been in development since 2004. As far as the 2014 flight goes, that was practically a boilerplate to test some of the onboard systems and the ablative heatshield. It was an Orion-shaped container at best.

So, 2018-2004 = 14.
Last edited by DarthLobster on Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cledaybuck

Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:50 pm

CARST wrote:
And don't be ridicilous, Musks company will make a lot of money on the space contracts, he's not operating his companies out of altruism.
Tesla earnings might indicate otherwise. :D
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

DarthLobster

Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:57 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
CARST wrote:

So did Amazon’s for their first many years. Musk is investing heavily in product tech.

Jayafe

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:22 pm

kiowa wrote:
It’s ALL taxpayer money. NASA is another government empire trying to justify their continued existence. I support the research but it should be done with private money, not borrowed money supporting an incredible deficit.

That would mean science and technology investigation in areas with direct profitable application. Non sense for progress

speedbird52

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:37 pm

DarthLobster wrote:

I would blame Obama for cancelling Constellation and Trump for the budget cuts

estorilm

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:56 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
CARST wrote:

CART said "making money" - they're MAKING an insane amount of money.

...they're just spending even more of it.

With that being said, I don't think anyone can argue that they aren't going in (all) the right direction(s).

Back OT though, I saw a Lockheed sponsored Twitter ad today about this - so it appears they're going full speed ahead with this project and probably have a fairly aggressive PR program to coincide.

estorilm

Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:09 pm

DarthLobster wrote:
estorilm wrote:
DarthLobster wrote:

Orion was conceived and began development during the 1st W. Bush administration. Regardless of whether it was designed to launch on Aries or SLS, it’s been in development since 2004. As far as the 2014 flight goes, that was practically a boilerplate to test some of the onboard systems and the ablative heatshield. It was an Orion-shaped container at best.

So, 2018-2004 = 14.

You clearly have some personal opinions about Lockheed - which is your own business, but give me a break.

All bets and time frames are off when the entire parent program is cancelled, restructured into an entirely different program under a different administration, and intentionally stretched out over a LONG period of time so it doesn't "look" as expensive, not to mention an entirely different set of specs and goals under the Orion MPCV (not just "a different rocket launching it" - it's an entirely different vehicle).

None of the Orion program was a "rush job" and THE ENTIRE ORION PROGRAM depended on a parent program of rockets and other subsystems which were cancelled! Had nothing to do with Lockheed. Their name was in the list of a hundred subcontractors in the cancelled program so you single them out, when in reality we are lucky their work was able to be carried forward to the SLS.

Orion-shaped container? That's creative - pretty sure stage separation, reentry, recovery, avionics, computer systems, etc are the hard part of the design - call it a container if you want, isn't that what all crew capsules are anyways? :lol:

hivue

Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:28 pm

Aptivaboy wrote:
Guys, NASA stands for "National AIR and Space Administration."

Actually, "National AERONAUTICS and Space Administration. It's the descendant of the old "National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics." Supersonic flight research definitely is in its remit.
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.

GripenFan

Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:57 pm

Going back to the whole Boeing 2702 fiasco, in my opinion had NASA chosen the Lockheed design (I think it was called the L-2000) the U.S. may have actually had a viable supersonic airliner. The L-2000 was actually much lower risk because it relied more on proven technology. Of course, that's exactly why the Boeing proposal was selected; NASA felt the Lockheed design didn't represent a big enough advancement over the Concorde. It's funny, though, how in the end the last 2707 design actually ended-up looking a lot like Lockheed's submission (fixed delta wing vs. variable-geometry, etc.)...

Andre3K

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:15 pm

I work for the company and think this is a big waste of money.

You should see the forums on the Insite, so full of clueless and hopelessly optimistic people. Some people even think this is the first time Lockheed and Nasa have been down a similar road. They believe that just because we can make these military jets at high cost, that magically we could make passenger SST's at anything reasonable. Now I'm not saying it's technically impossible, but how many places will be screaming NIMBY and how many people will still say they are bothered by the very dull but still noticeable sonic booms they create? It's a feel good project if you ask me. But because Trump is president, you better believe that money will still be thrown towards it, if for nothing else National Pride.

CitizenJustin

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:22 pm

StuckinCMHland wrote:
Wow!

With all due respect to many of the posters here, are we all so cynical and hateful toward any government agency or program that a contract from a civilian space agency that has as part of its mandate to work on aeronautics is only being used as a cover for a bloated military contract/handout?

Research is great, and I hope they can get something marvelous out of it.

The answer is yes. a.net members are highly cynical. Also, it seems the internet’s affinity for conspiracy theories has officially reached a.net.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos