Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HaveBlue
Topic Author

ERAU airplane crash in Daytona, wing falls off

Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:54 am

This morning in Daytona Beach at the airport where I did the majority of my flight training an ERAU Piper Arrow had the left wing fall off shortly after take off, the aircraft then crashed near the Flea Market and the FAA Examiner and student pilot both died. It is extremely rare to have a wing fall off of a certified aircraft (except in thunderstorms or over G'ing the airframe, neither of which applies here). The accident happened right after take off on a perfect weather day. Very sad event and it will be interesting to see what the NTSB finds as the cause of the airframe failure.

neomax

Re: ERAU airplane crash in Daytona, wing falls off

Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:02 am

Drove past it today, tragic loss of life. My sincere condolences to the student and instructor's families.

N6168E

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:41 pm

The NTSB has issued a preliminary report
https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Repor ... m&IType=FA

This is an excerpt:
Preliminary examination of the left wing main spar revealed that more than 80%
of the lower spar cap and portions of the forward and aft spar web doublers exhibited fracture
features consistent with metal fatigue (see figure 1).
The remainder of the lower spar cap, spar web doublers, and upper spar cap displayed fracture
features consistent with overstress fracture. The fatigue features originated at or near the
outboard forward wing spar attachment bolt hole (see figure 2). None of the surfaces exhibited
visible evidence of corrosion or other preexisting damage. The right wing also exhibited fatigue
cracks in the lower spar cap at the same hole location extending up to 0.047-inch deep.

aeropix

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:55 pm

Regardless of the outcome of the investigation it sounds like a somber reminder of the importance of being honest in aviation even when you’ve made a mistake.

For example the stress fatigue may be the result of hard landings or encounter with severe turbulence that was never reported out of fear of reprisal or embarrassment. Likewise maintenance inspections after such an event, though difficult and time consuming to perform, must never be compromised.

I am not passing any judgment nor making any speculation about this specific case, but it does bring these thoughts to my mind.

Revplane

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:57 pm

So sad to learn of this crash. My prayers go out to the families. Years ago my father was an instructor at ERAU and happened to catch some chatter on his home scanner between two ERAU students, each in separate aircraft. One was bragging to the other that he was going to do a loop. To my father's disbelief the guy did execute a loop with hoops and hollers for his achievement. My father had to report the incident even though it meant the explosion of the student. I hope this crash was not due to this kind of reckless behavior.

QXAS

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:08 pm

The crash happened on the student’s commercial checkride, which means nothing out of the ordinary would have occurred. The wing separated from the aircraft shortly after takeoff. The ERAU aircraft are abused. New pilots who haven’t practiced soft fieldlandings will slam aircraft onto the ground. Because of the glideslope we use for visual ops, an upsloping runway will make it look like you’re flying straight at the ground which will cause an early flare and the aircraft to hit hard. They regularly fly 6-8 times per day. At Prescott, all of our aircraft are pretty new. But in Daytona the fleet is much older and more susceptible to corrosion and metal fatigue due to the marine climate. How good is the shock absorption on the piper arrow? If it’s insufficient every hard landing would transfer that stress to the wing joint.
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.

N757ST

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:11 pm

Revplane wrote:
So sad to learn of this crash. My prayers go out to the families. Years ago my father was an instructor at ERAU and happened to catch some chatter on his home scanner between two ERAU students, each in separate aircraft. One was bragging to the other that he was going to do a loop. To my father's disbelief the guy did execute a loop with hoops and hollers for his achievement. My father had to report the incident even though it meant the explosion of the student. I hope this crash was not due to this kind of reckless behavior.

The guy was getting a check ride... initial reports say metal fatigue was the cause.

Also, a loop isn’t some kind of Sergio dangerous maneuver. Your dad probably could have handled that situation better by approaching the person in question and talking some sense into them instead of running to someone to get them expelled. Every pilot has made a bad judgment call here or there... it’s better to handle those things from a learning point of view.

Signed- an airline pilot with multiple types and 10k+ hours.

alasizon

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:19 pm

Even a 2007 build undergoing all the stress that ERAU puts on their planes shouldn't have failed this prematurely assuming inspections were conducted regularly and according to the prelim report, it was only 28.3 hours since its last annual.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

A320FlyGuy

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:29 pm

Revplane wrote:
My father had to report the incident even though it meant the explosion of the student. .

They blow up students?

My university was tough...but I think that the worst that the University of Toronto offers is a good flogging and suspension...

Regardless, it is sad and extremely shocking that this sort of thing would happen at ERAU. My deepest condolences to the families of both the student and the examiner.
My other car is an A320-200

WeatherPilot

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:30 pm

I have a dark sense of humor, mostly because I'm in the medical field, but this incident made me think of this sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM

77H

Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:05 pm

N757ST wrote:
Revplane wrote:

The guy was getting a check ride... initial reports say metal fatigue was the cause.

Also, a loop isn’t some kind of Sergio dangerous maneuver. Your dad probably could have handled that situation better by approaching the person in question and talking some sense into them instead of running to someone to get them expelled. Every pilot has made a bad judgment call here or there... it’s better to handle those things from a learning point of view.

Signed- an airline pilot with multiple types and 10k+ hours.

I don’t think RevPilot is saying that the pilot on his checkride did anything to cause the wing seperation. I think he’s saying it would be unfortunate if this was caused by students/pilots abusing aircraft over time (i.e. hard landings, abrupt forceful maneuvers, maneuvers above maneuvering speed, overspeed through rough air and of course stupid stunts like a loop). The NTSB specifically finding stress fractures throughout both wings on this aircraft would seem to indicate that the aircraft was being abused, either unintentionally or otherwise.

I’d be lying if I told you as a younger, invincible, naive student/private pilot I didn’t push the envelope a few times. Luckily for me, nothing happened and I “grew up” once I got my instrument. Ones first time in the soup brings much needed humility to a cocky young pilot in training.

As for the loop stunt and how his dad handled it.. I’m not entirely sure reporting it wasn’t the best course of action.
While doing a loop isn’t necessarily dangerous or reckless, trainer aircraft are not necessesarily designed with aerobatics in mind. My understanding is that aerobatic aircraft are of a more sturdy design to take the stress of such maneuvers. The fact that the student was expelled rather than grounded for a period speaks to the severity of the incident, at least in the eyes of the school. I would imagine ERAU has strict guidelines regarding the use of its aircraft. Beyond that, the guy was foolish enough to broadcast it on the radio for anyone to hear. Reckless decisions all around.

77H

MO11

Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:34 pm

77H wrote:

As for the loop stunt and how his dad handled it.. I’m not entirely sure reporting it wasn’t the best course of action.
While doing a loop isn’t necessarily dangerous or reckless, trainer aircraft are not necessesarily designed with aerobatics in mind. My understanding is that aerobatic aircraft are of a more sturdy design to take the stress of such maneuvers. The fact that the student was expelled rather than grounded for a period speaks to the severity of the incident, at least in the eyes of the school. I would imagine ERAU has strict guidelines regarding the use of its aircraft. Beyond that, the guy was foolish enough to broadcast it on the radio for anyone to hear. Reckless decisions all around.

77H

The Piper Arrow can only be operated in Normal category, so any acrobatic maneuver, while certainly possible if done correctly, is illegal.

litz

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:33 pm

Scary flashback to the Chalks crash ... which also was a wing separation due to metal fatigue/cracking ...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos